• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Regarding The Constant Baiting, Trolling, and Insults In The Siege Forum

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Hello everyone,

The moderation team has noticed that there has been quite a lot of baiting, trolling and small insults tossed around in this forum the last few weeks.

Some examples I've seen today alone:

1. References to "shield lube" and suggesting that the tears of other posters will be used for bodily functions that are inappropriate for Stratics.
  2. A guild being called "childish A-holes"
  3. Someone saying another poster is stupid
  4. The person who was called stupid then replied saying the other person was the stupid one
  5. Someone was called a "small-minded loser"
  6. Two people called someone another word for a female dog
  7. Someone told another poster that they "must have rode the short bus as a kid" which is a reference to the type of bus used to transport autistic and mentally ill kids who don't do well on the normal bus in real life.
Plus the constant other things like subtle accusations of using illegal 3rd party programs, or accusations of scamming.

That was from this one forum, in less than one day....

We have been getting more reports from this forum than Uhall for the last couple of weeks. We are up to about 30 reports from the Siege forum in the month of October by itself....

This really needs to stop everyone.... We have been as lenient as we can hoping the problems would work themselves out with time if we gave you all enough space, but it just keeps going on and on.

We know exactly who the people starting the issues are, but when there is a troll post and then everyone reacts to the troll post with more trolling and insults, it makes it difficult for us to do anything because we have to either send everyone a warning, or not send anyone a warning to keep everything fair.

Please try to avoid insulting, baiting, and trolling other posters in the future.

:Begging:

Nonel

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
But, see, this seems like bait. Because I really want to call someone "stupid", now. Then they can reply and call me, "stupid." It'd be fun! Though, to be fair, I'm really more afraid they'll call me a "small minded loser" and that'll hurt my feelings. :( I'm a small minded winner if ever there was one!

Freelsy

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well hot damn. I think the forum pvp is quite tame compared to the way it used to be.

Has the moderator team grown soft? Or Is it the new player base that's soft?

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I do believe all can get their point through without dropping down to name calling and RL attack but I also believe some will call, just to try to get a poster they disagree with banned. I do believe some Board PvP should be allowed on this forum as PvP is allowed on our shard.
  1. References to "shield lube" and suggesting that the tears of other posters will be used for bodily functions that are inappropriate for Stratics.
  2. A guild being called "childish A-holes"
  3. Someone saying another poster is stupid
  4. The person who was called stupid then replied saying the other person was the stupid one
  5. Someone was called a "small-minded loser"
  6. Two people called someone another word for a female dog
  7. Someone told another poster that they "must have rode the short bus as a kid" which is a reference to the type of bus used to transport autistic and mentally ill kids who don't do well on the normal bus in real life.
Non of this are nice, but we also know, some people get frustrated, when they run out of arguments. I don't think Siege players are that thin skinned that they can't handle a little of this. When someone drop down to name calling and RL attack, it most time show more about them self than about the one they attack. We do have the ignore funktion. It's really not that hard to stay inside the RoC and still prove someone wrong and even make them show they are some of this on the list without calling them it. You do not even have to troll them as long your arguments are valid. I believe we should accept some of this on the list. Sometimes I act stupid, sometimes I can be a b...., I don't mind someone telling me it as it may make me see, I went to far and need to tell I'm sorry.

Just my opinion

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ashat behavior draws ashat behavior from others who have grown weary of ashat behavior. Think back to your college days and your Sociology class, simple human nature.

If this behavior has grown to be a problem then rip out it's roots, ban those who inspire the problem, not those who react to the behavior because it's gotten so old and tiresome. We've to few posters here now.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Ashat behavior draws ashat behavior from others who have grown weary of ashat behavior
The RoC do not stop you from being an ashat, you can't really moderate that. It may not be the ones who get frustrated and use this words, who are the problem. I could name a few who manages just fine without breaking any part of the RoC and some of them are a part of the "good" community.

About the "prepares the lube", only someone with a dirty mind would read something wrong in that. They want to sell the shields for a good price so sure they need to polished to shine. A kid or someone with a clean mind, would not had read it wrong before someone tells them, what it could mean.

Last edited:

Freelsy

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ashat behavior draws ashat behavior from others who have grown weary of ashat behavior. Think back to your college days and your Sociology class, simple human nature.

If this behavior has grown to be a problem then rip out it's roots, ban those who inspire the problem, not those who react to the behavior because it's gotten so old and tiresome. We've to few posters here now.

:Begging:

Giggles

Wielder of Ebil Cookies
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Trying to play both the roles of staff and pvper in this response might get a little tricky for me, but here it goes.

90% of my game play for the past 7 years has been pvp related. I have met several people, and been in numerous guilds across many servers. Over the course of my pvp career, I have had my fair share of griefing done towards me either on the forums, in game, and in two cases in real life. Being a female doesn't help matters.... not that gender really has to do with anything game related, however women do take a great deal of extreme cyber bullying for no other reason than being female. I won't break down the psychology of it, but it really is a thing. After everything I have been called, heard, and seen, I can honestly say that I do not get bothered by anything anyone behind a computer throws at me. But at the same time, it wouldn't be fair of me to assume that just because I have an immunity towards the shenanigans then everyone else should as well. People are unique, personalities are unique, and everything effects everyone differently. It would be wrong for me to assume otherwise or mock them for being offended.

My love for PvP is undisputed, to spite the harassment that comes with my little hobby. But I will say this.... anytime I have been in a guild where victories leads to insults smeared all over general chat, and even followed to stratics, the PvP activity on the server dies. People lose ambition to try. The pvp is no longer fun to them. Why should they go and try something new just to be laughed out of fel, and called worthless? They won't do it again, and we now have one less future pvper. So while I can personally appreciate and understand a little prodding and bragging, I have also seen what it can do to the community. In a perfect world I think if everyone came, fought, and kept their mouths shut there would be more fights. There is no sense in demoralizing people.

So that makes it easier for me to moderate things on Stratics that are obviously not constructive and only serving to demoralize people. So no, the mods haven't grown soft or more strict. We are players also and we all have a love for the game. Thats why we do what we can to protect everyone involved, even the 2 people whos skin might be too thin. That's why we have the rules and try to be neutral. Maybe in the end it won't make a huge difference to the majority, but to a few it means everything.

Last edited:

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Being a female doesn't help matters.... not that gender really has to do with anything game related, however women do take a great deal of extreme cyber bullying for no other reason than being female.
I had not had that problem at all in my 19 years of playing, I don't really believe it have anything to do with being female. It more like, if you show a mad dog, you fear it, it will attack you. If you don't show fear, don't let the griefter get his joy, he will find an other target.

But I will say this.... anytime I have been in a guild where victories leads to insults smeared all over general chat, and even followed to stratics, the PvP activity on the server dies. People lose ambition to try. The pvp is no longer fun to them. Why should they go and try something new just to be laughed out of fel, and called worthless? They won't do it again, and we now have one less future pvper.
I general find the PvP'ers on Siege are very polite. I don't think that is what make people stop PvP'ing on Siege, it's more the facts, that PvP gear are so damn hard to replace. Noone like using hours for farming and crafting to PvP 5 min.
Sure we could just add Item insurance but I don't believe that is the right thing to do. Devs need to allow this VvV artifacts together with Fel bonus, 1000-2000 basic luck, to make imbuing resources and artifacts easier to get.

If the Anti PK's easier could replace suits, they would fight the more nasty PK's to teach them a lesson. You can't compare Siege with Prodo shard, it's a total different game here.

So that makes it easier for me to moderate things on Stratics that are obviously not constructive and only serving to demoralize people. So no, the mods haven't grown soft or more strict. We are players also and we all have a love for the game. Thats why we do what we can to protect everyone involved, even the 2 people whos skin might be too thin. That's why we have the rules and try to be neutral. Maybe in the end it won't make a huge difference to the majority, but to a few it means everything.
We do need rules but I also do believe more should go on this forum, as noone force players to play Siege or be on the Siege forum. People with really thin skin should choose a different shard. Now what should go, Telling someone he act like an idiot is not the same as telling him he is an idiot. Also sometimes do stupid thing, like me yelling a lot in chat at EM Bennu. I find it fine someone are blaming me that and maybe using some name calling to make me see my mistake. But if they attack my RL person, they cross the line.

Optimus

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I had not had that problem at all in my 19 years of playing, I don't really believe it have anything to do with being female. It more like, if you show a mad dog, you fear it, it will attack you. If you don't show fear, don't let the griefter get his joy, he will find an other target.

I general find the PvP'ers on Siege are very polite. I don't think that is what make people stop PvP'ing on Siege, it's more the facts, that PvP gear are so damn hard to replace. Noone like using hours for farming and crafting to PvP 5 min.
Sure we could just add Item insurance but I don't believe that is the right thing to do. Devs need to allow this VvV artifacts together with Fel bonus, 1000-2000 basic luck, to make imbuing resources and artifacts easier to get.

If the Anti PK's easier could replace suits, they would fight the more nasty PK's to teach them a lesson. You can't compare Siege with Prodo shard, it's a total different game here.

We do need rules but I also do believe more should go on this forum, as noone force players to play Siege or be on the Siege forum. People with really thin skin should choose a different shard. Now what should go, Telling someone he act like an idiot is not the same as telling him he is an idiot. Also sometimes do stupid thing, like me yelling a lot in chat at EM Bennu. I find it fine someone are blaming me that and maybe using some name calling to make me see my mistake. But if they attack my RL person, they cross the line.

Freja, you've earned the respect of many HI5. I was told not to loot you during the event, but didn't know you, so did so otherwise. I will not loot you, and will instruct so likewise from this day forth. You deserve respect, unlike these carebears.

Props for being a badass maff.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
A lot don't understand, it is all about respect and respect is earned :)

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A lot don't understand, it is all about respect and respect is earned :)
It also depends on what behavior some require to be done to earn their respect. Many others may consider that same behavior grounds to lose all respect for those people. Screwing over others is one of those behaviors.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
As I said, you don't understand :p

Critical Gaming

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And never will lass. I don't get my jollies screwing over others.
The hazing brought upon GIL from hi-5 is a direct response to their actions of getting VvV Artie's removed from the shard. Most pvpers were inactive during this time so the devs listened, naturally. It was almost a 100% consensus.

As players came back we had multiple discussions on these forums and uhall regarding the topic. GIL fought tooth and nail to make sure it stays as is. Even though tidal waves of logical arguments washed over the thread, PvP minded people were met with emotional, illogical responses.

So here we are, proving to them repeatedly that they actually just don't know how to PvP. It is not a VvV artifact issue, it's the fact that PvP isn't what they play UO for. But... They decided to ruin this new system's benefits for pvpers to deter them because they essentially want to be left in peace. It's a shame to see this happen when siege is the place VvV would the best. It's not their shard. We all pay 13 a month.

Last edited:

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
And never will lass. I don't get my jollies screwing over others.
Nor do I get my jollies screwing over others.

Who do you mean I'm screwing over? Or do you mean I let others screw over me? I lost a few suits but they can be replaced. I had the choice, to logon a blue char and be safe in town zone, or don't let someone force me to play a blue char or show in a suit not worth to try to PvP in or to use to kill the Boss. I knew the risk and accepted it. Tina Tink already replaced the suit with new ones, even a little better than the old ones. It annoy me more to lose items to a stupid NPC monster than to a group of PK's who had the goal to get all the EM rewards and not let others get any. They faced town zone, looting from both the Boss and players when they died and still managed to do the job.
I did not feel screwed over. I accepted the risk before I left my house. I did have fun at the event, only thing that made me mad was the EM's choice of place for the event.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
About the "prepares the lube", only someone with a dirty mind would read something wrong in that. They want to sell the shields for a good price so sure they need to polished to shine. A kid or someone with a clean mind, would not had read it wrong before someone tells them, what it could mean.
...... Are you ****ing kidding me?

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
...... Are you ****ing kidding me?
No, but sure I'm not born with English and English slang, so that may be why I did not see anything bad in it before Drakelord pointed it out.
Or maybe it's because I'm Danish or just not thin skinned, when it comes to stuff like that.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No, but sure I'm not born with English and English slang, so that may be why I did not see anything bad in it before Drakelord pointed it out.
Or maybe it's because I'm Danish or just not thin skinned, when it comes to stuff like that.
It doesn't bother me, I'm not thin skinned about it, the internet if full of that kind of behavior. I can believe that you may not have gotten the connotation of that post due to the language barrier (though the others were much more obvious) but then once it had been pointed out, you still chose to make up excuses and defend trolling. Tell people that it's basically their fault if they get trolled. It's not. It's true that people shouldn't fall for the bait, but that doesn't excuse the trolling.

I don't have a problem with them, they are just another one of "those" groups, nothing new. I do however have a problem with siege vets who claim to love the shard who simply because they get someone new to pvp with choose to turn a blind eye to trolling and blatant attempts at community disruption.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So here we are, proving to them repeatedly that they actually just don't know how to PvP. It is not a VvV artifact issue, it's the fact that PvP isn't what they play UO for. But... They decided to ruin this new system's benefits for pvpers to deter them because they essentially want to be left in peace. It's a shame to see this happen when siege is the place VvV would the best. It's not their shard. We all pay 13 a month.
Yet you aren't just "hazing" gil. You are doing the same thing to everyone who posts here, and I suspect everyone you find in game, and you all would behave the same exact way even if they made vvv changes. You want people to fight, so you try to make everyone mad, nothing's gonna change that... other than people just no longer logging in I guess.

I have no issue with you, and I have enjoyed the limited time we tussled in game, but let's be honest here. You and I both know the kind of guild you guys are running. It's fine, I just don't think you should pretend that this all the result of someone else's actions.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ok here is clearly something in this "prepares the lube" thing I do not see as you all seem very upset about it. Lets just drop it.
If it frames them in a negative light, then let's just ignore it? I get that you have chosen to dig yourself into the "don't change me" act, but I really think you need to examine the behavior that you are actively defending/blaming on the targets.

Lady Michelle

Sprite Full SP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Ok here is clearly something in this "prepares the lube" thing I do not see as you all seem very upset about it. Lets just drop it.
I clearly don't see it either so your not the only one. I guess I wasn't raised to think prepares the lube was something dirty when it came to shining sheilds. Then I google lube and now I see why others are not very happy

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I clearly don't see it either so your not the only one. I guess I wasn't raised to think prepares the lube was something dirty when it came to shining sheilds. Then I google lube and now I see why others are not very happy
Slang varies from language to language and from region to region in America.The lube comment just may well not click as bad in Danish. There may be tasteless slang comments in these forums made by players from other countries that we totally miss because we don't know their primary languages slang.

Shoot, I've gotten warnings over using the word 'gay' in posts on forums. To many it makes a homosexual reference, to me it means a cheerful attitude and slips into posts now and then when I'm just chatting, sheltered life or the laid back crowd I run with I guess.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Pair that search with the later posts in that thread and the connection and connotation is obvious, if it wasn't initially. :p

MANSBETH

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Trying to play both the roles of staff and pvper in this response might get a little tricky for me, but here it goes.

90% of my game play for the past 7 years has been pvp related. I have met several people, and been in numerous guilds across many servers. Over the course of my pvp career, I have had my fair share of griefing done towards me either on the forums, in game, and in two cases in real life. Being a female doesn't help matters.... not that gender really has to do with anything game related, however women do take a great deal of extreme cyber bullying for no other reason than being female. I won't break down the psychology of it, but it really is a thing. After everything I have been called, heard, and seen, I can honestly say that I do not get bothered by anything anyone behind a computer throws at me. But at the same time, it wouldn't be fair of me to assume that just because I have an immunity towards the shenanigans then everyone else should as well. People are unique, personalities are unique, and everything effects everyone differently. It would be wrong for me to assume otherwise or mock them for being offended.

My love for PvP is undisputed, to spite the harassment that comes with my little hobby. But I will say this.... anytime I have been in a guild where victories leads to insults smeared all over general chat, and even followed to stratics, the PvP activity on the server dies. People lose ambition to try. The pvp is no longer fun to them. Why should they go and try something new just to be laughed out of fel, and called worthless? They won't do it again, and we now have one less future pvper. So while I can personally appreciate and understand a little prodding and bragging, I have also seen what it can do to the community. In a perfect world I think if everyone came, fought, and kept their mouths shut there would be more fights. There is no sense in demoralizing people.

HONESTLY?
The female card?????
It's an electronic virtual game.
*sigh*

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Being female do help me a lot in this virtual world, it can give big advantage :p

Troll The T Hunter

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
anytime I have been in a guild where victories leads to insults smeared all over general chat, and even followed to stratics, the PvP activity on the server dies.
It's called "insecurity". The need to belittle other people is in fact their own insecure view of themselves. It's pretty clear who this applies to.