• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Paladin Template and Gear

Gb8719

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I mainly just relied on feint for overall damage mitigation.

Any ideas on what would be a better suited weapon for a fencer? I haven't really considered the idea of switching to swords or macing...

Thank you for all of the help and advice, by the way.

Duncan Drake

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Im afraid fencing doesnt have weapons that are slow enough to give you 100% hll except a pike or a lajatang. Problem is there are no good special moves on the weapon.

The perfect weapon would be a 3,25 speed one with either double strike or ai. Difficult for a fencer build

Duncan Drake

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Btw with 120 parry and evasion you can avoid those critical hits like dragon breaths or sth like that very good.

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't have a problem chaining AI with leafblades. I did it this morning twice against Riktor. I use feint a lot.... less hits mean less damage to armor.

CorwinXX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
I mainly just relied on feint for overall damage mitigation.

Any ideas on what would be a better suited weapon for a fencer? I haven't really considered the idea of switching to swords or macing...

Thank you for all of the help and advice, by the way.
If you want to use Fencing then go with necro (sampire or wraith).

General Lee

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Yeah I think fencing might be better for a sampire I'm going to stick with my broadswords and double axes with 100hll.

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

Vor

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Is it worth using Gladiators Collar for this build rather than a crafted gorget. Lacks the SI, MI and LMC. But it does help with the resists, has a good HPI and gives some HCI.

Duncan Drake

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I used gladiators collar with a former build, problem is, as you mentioned that it lacks important stats. And if youc an get your hands on a slither getting max hpi isnt that difficult.

But you always have to look at your whole gear. If it fits right then use it. It all depends on the rest of your stuff

Gb8719

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Good point about the leafblades and sampires. Maybe I'll stone off fencing and save it for if I make a true legit Sampire one day.

One other question...
I see that you use plate armor and I know you mentioned that it gives a bonus to stam loss reduction. How important would you say that is versus using something like studded leather for LMC benefit? I'm going to be running a human [like you] instead of an elf so I'm anticipating issues with mana already. That's also assuming I have LMC as high as possible on the suit already.

Vor

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I used gladiators collar with a former build, problem is, as you mentioned that it lacks important stats. And if youc an get your hands on a slither getting max hpi isnt that difficult.

But you always have to look at your whole gear. If it fits right then use it. It all depends on the rest of your stuff
I'm trying to track down a slither now. So good point actually.

Duncan Drake

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Good point about the leafblades and sampires. Maybe I'll stone off fencing and save it for if I make a true legit Sampire one day.

One other question...
I see that you use plate armor and I know you mentioned that it gives a bonus to stam loss reduction. How important would you say that is versus using something like studded leather for LMC benefit? I'm going to be running a human [like you] instead of an elf so I'm anticipating issues with mana already. That's also assuming I have LMC as high as possible on the suit already.
Metal armor gives 1% lmc each part and a heavy stamina loss protection. Studded armor gives 3 % and provides a light bonus.

I for my part prefer metal armor because you can lower hsl on your weapon. In addition divine fury replenishes stamina as well. And there is no greater enemy for a warrior not swinging fast enough.

And in addition a paladin should really wear metal armor ;-)

I run with 78 mana and its enough for chaining ai very long. (45% lmc). But there are many that prefer studded armor (55% lmc). Not an easy choice

CorwinXX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Yes, 68 HML :).

IMHO Metal armor is better than studded for a swordsman and a macer. Studded armor is better for an archer and a fencer.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Standard stats 120-130 STR, 120 DEX (160 Stamina). It allow you to have max swing speed without potions. In a serious fight you use STR/DEX potions to get 150 DEX and 191 Stamina. It allows you to have max swing speed even when cursed and/or damaged.
You need base 110 STR, 105 DEX to have 120 STR, 120 DEX with artifacts and 150 STR, 150 DEX with potions. I prefer to have 130 STR without potions so I have some 140+ HP even when cursed. With 35 base INT you get 75 Mana (human) or 95 Mana (Elf).
There is something here I do not understand...

The Stats pool is 255 points.
If one has 130 Strength and 35 Intelligence, that leaves out only 255 - 130 - 35 = 90 points for Dexterity. Isn't 90 DEX way too low for being an effective melee dexer ??

CorwinXX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Yes, 90 DEX is too low. This is why I suggest to have 130 STR and 120 DEX without potions. My character has 130 STR and 140 DEX without potions to get 4 sec Healing (although this leaves me with only 75 mana).

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes, 90 DEX is too low. This is why I suggest to have 130 STR and 120 DEX without potions. My character has 130 STR and 140 DEX without potions to get 4 sec Healing.
How is that possible ? STR 130 + DEX 140 = 270 points and there is no INT factored in !!!
How can you train up to 270 points only in STR and DEX (not counting INT) when the total possible is 255 ???

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It is overall stamina you would be worried about. Plus you can pretty easily hit the cap with items.

Alex"Drake Iron Heart"CS

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
My current template:
120 fencing
100 tactics (to get GM bonus to DI)
120 bushido (honor, confidence, evasion)
55 parry (10 mana reduction)
5 archery
120 chivalry (DF, EOO, CW, Dispel)
80 resisting spells
100 anatomy (to get max evasion bonus and GM bonus to DI)
85 healing (I use enchanted bandages for serious fights)
Can you break down, how much skill goes on ring/brace on this build? and how much is real base skill?
Guessing the Desp quiver gives you the +5 arch for the SMMR

CorwinXX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
I don't remember. I haven't this char now. I believe that all skills above the cap must be on jewels (except 5 archery on the quiver).

Tuan

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Protection spell, so you can cast w/o interrupt gives -15 resist.

Armor refinement can raise resist caps above 70. In this case, he refined to give 5pieces each 1 more resist in each of Ph/F/C/P which gives -4 to max DCI - so the max DCI he can have on his suit is 25.