• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

No more Full Screen mode!!!!!

• Thread starter imported_Gracie Nito
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
I

imported_CherryBomb

I think they have lost me for good this time. Not so much that I will miss full-screen mode (which I actually prefer), but this business of "too many features" coming in from the web sounds more like work than play.

CherryBomb

G

<blockquote><hr>

I think they have lost me for good this time. Not so much that I will miss full-screen mode (which I actually prefer), but this business of "too many features" coming in from the web sounds more like work than play.

CherryBomb

[/ QUOTE ]I think you're on to something...I have no problem at all with the web features or multi-taskers..but the goal is more revenue and paying subscribers...from what I've seen in this thread, if it's a 'poll', eliminating the choice of how we want to play could be the dagger and I think that prospect is underestimated by those who say "it doesn't affect me"

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

CherryBomb

[/ QUOTE ]I think you're on to something...I have no problem at all with the web features or multi-taskers..but the goal is more revenue and paying subscribers...from what I've seen in this thread, if it's a 'poll', eliminating the choice of how we want to play could be the dagger and I think that prospect is underestimated by those who say "it doesn't affect me"

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't underestimated it and when I say this, I mean it, it really doesn't affect me one way or another.

I

imported_Gracie Nito

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

CherryBomb

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't underestimated it and when I say this, I mean it, it really doesn't affect me one way or another.

[/ QUOTE ]

I, on the other hand, am greatly affected and will feel the loss of those that will no longer be able to play due to this change along with the changes to DX9 and needed video card changes that will be required.

K

Keep It Real

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

CherryBomb

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I, on the other hand, am greatly affected and will feel the loss of those that will no longer be able to play due to this change along with the changes to DX9 and needed video card changes that will be required.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, but hey, WoW is still full screen.

I

imported_TheCookieFamily

I was a bad cookie. I didn't read the whole thread!

But just responding to Gracie's original post....

Instead of forcing users into windows mode, I think everything should be built into the game. I'm not really sure of the game mechanics yet, but I still have yet to see something which can't be integrated into the main game. I love full screen, too. This idea just doesn't float my boat

N

NightFlyer

"I haven't underestimated it and when I say this, I mean it, it really doesn't affect me one way or another."

Reminiscent of the Gypsys as the Nazi's rounded up the Jews.

G

Your post means nothing to me. When I say it will not affect me and the way I play the game, that is exactly what I mean. Comprende?

G

<blockquote><hr>

Your post means nothing to me. When I say it will not affect me and the way I play the game, that is exactly what I mean. Comprende?

[/ QUOTE ] and your posts in this thread have meant nothing other than to see your own typing..Comprenez-vous?

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

CherryBomb

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I still think those who really DO want to play will be able to play, they will just have to figure out how they are gonna do it. They might have to be on hiatus for a short time, but maybe not even that depending on what the issue is. Those who don't want to take the time to figure it out will quit, but chances are those people would have quit over something else in the not so distant future anyway, so EA would probably have gotten another 6 months of revenue from them at best.....$60, maybe a year's worth for $120. The new players that EA will get will already have the equipment required (which if you have spent ANY time looking at computer components online, you will see is almost bottom scale of what is really available out there) so they won't have the same gripes that those who are now resistant to change do. And I'm betting that those that will come in will outweigh those that are leaving in 'protest' of these relatively minor things going on.

Somebody else asked the question that I knew they would about what if the shoe was on the other foot. I answered that question for myself earlier in this thread.....so that theory is at least partially shot.

Has anybody stopped to think that maybe the reason EA has sort of turned a 'blind ear' to all this is because of all the complaining over the basically inconsequential stuff that covers up the TRULY valid complaining of the stuff that is actually messed up? I certainly wouldn't spend my days wading through all the BS posts to get to the significant ones, unless paid way more than I'm sure these devs are being paid until the game becomes successful, for sure.

R

Roger Wilco

<blockquote><hr>

Has anybody stopped to think that maybe the reason EA has sort of turned a 'blind ear' to all this is because of all the complaining over the basically inconsequential stuff that covers up the TRULY valid complaining of the stuff that is actually messed up?

[/ QUOTE ]

Uhh, no.

They have been ignoring pointed, specific, design questions/flaws about “the truly valid stuff” since beta. They usually will respond to softball "you rock community rep and dev’s, I want to have your love child" type threads from our board cheerleaders, bug and login issue threads, and any other fluffy thread that stays away with the actual problems of TSO.

The more legitimate the complaint, or flaw in the design, the less likely it would ever be responded to in public. That hasn't changed, and I doubt it ever does.

G

Tsk tsk. Please remember no EA member is <u>obligated</u> to respond to anything posted here on stratics. This isn't the official site. What they do here is a courtesy, nothing more.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

Has anybody stopped to think that maybe the reason EA has sort of turned a 'blind ear' to all this is because of all the complaining over the basically inconsequential stuff that covers up the TRULY valid complaining of the stuff that is actually messed up?

[/ QUOTE ]

Uhh, no.

They have been ignoring pointed, specific, design questions/flaws about “the truly valid stuff” since beta. They usually will respond to softball "you rock community rep and dev’s, I want to have your love child" type threads from our board cheerleaders, bug and login issue threads, and any other fluffy thread that stays away with the actual problems of TSO.

The more legitimate the complaint, or flaw in the design, the less likely it would ever be responded to in public. That hasn't changed, and I doubt it ever does.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that they have ignored some of the well phrased complaints too, but I still maintain that it is mostly because they are buried amongst the 'dammit if you don't do things MY way I'm gonna take my (fill in inflated number of) accounts and my (fill in another inflated number) friends will take all their accounts too!
*stomps foot*' posts. If those posts were not there, leaving only the complaint posts that were well thought out, calm and civil yet still negative, I truly believe more of them would get answered and dealt with, even if not dealt with EXACTLY like the complainer wants them to be.

R

Roger Wilco

<blockquote><hr>

Tsk tsk. Please remember no EA member is <u>obligated</u> to respond to anything posted here on stratics. This isn't the official site. What they do here is a courtesy, nothing more.

[/ QUOTE ]
Tsk tsk, it appears you didn't read my post very carefully before making a post that says something we already knew.

Now I know you weren't around for beta, but for some reason you still seem to feel the need to post in every thread. It's almost as if you have appointed yourself as the lore keeper of all things TSO, even when you are responding to people who know ten times more about TSO than you ever will. Now why is that? Actually don't bother answering, I know why, have fun.

Now, if you had actually read my post before starting a response I said it's been this way since beta. That would mean the old EA boards, these boards (which were the official boards for a long time), and now the blog. The fact of the matter is that they almost never respond to posts (especially if it's from a non-cheerleader) dealing with fundamental problems of what their concept of fun gameplay is, or to the numerous flaws they incorporate in their misguided designs. That's just the way it always has been, regardless of the venue.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]
Tsk tsk, it appears you didn't read my post very carefully before making a post that says something we already knew.

Now I know you weren't around for beta, but for some reason you still seem to feel the need to post in every thread. It's almost as if you have appointed yourself as the lore keeper of all things TSO, even when you are responding to people who know ten times more about TSO than you ever will. Now why is that? Actually don't bother answering, I know why, have fun.

Now, if you had actually read my post before starting a response I said it's been this way since beta. That would mean the old EA boards, these boards (which were the official boards for a long time), and now the blog. The fact of the matter is that they almost never respond to posts (especially if it's from a non-cheerleader) dealing with fundamental problems of what their concept of fun gameplay is, or to the numerous flaws they incorporate in their misguided designs. That's just the way it always has been, regardless of the venue.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please read your own post and keep you personal attacks towards me in an PM, k thx. Also, don't claim what you don't know. You do not know more than me about this game. I'm pretty sure there are others here that know more than you. And I post when I have my opinion to post so if that bothers you, boo hoo.

This is the line I was referring too had you bothered to read your own post:
<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Now before you come back with "I know more than you" maybe you should do some research before you spout your mouth off.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Please read your own post and keep you personal attacks towards me in an PM, k thx. Also, don't claim what you don't know. You do not know more than me about this game. I'm pretty sure there are others here that know more than you. And I post when I have my opinion to post so if that bothers you, boo hoo.

This is the line I was referring too had you bothered to read your own post:
<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Now before you come back with "I know more than you" maybe you should do some research before you spout your mouth off.

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps if you had quoted what you were referring to, there would not have been any confusion. Also, I do not believe Roger's post had any more 'personal attack' or condescension (ie the tsk, tsk that you used first before he did) than yours did, so don't even go there. I understand tempers run high when one feels passionate about something, but seriously guys, this is nothing more than a testosterone filled high-school hallway argument between two guys fighting over the same girl (the girl being TSO), or better known as a pot/kettle/black scenario
. This is the kind of stuff EA has to wade through to get through to the core issues, and people wonder why they never get there?

G

NOIP
Using a resolution switch (like -r1024x768 -w) in your shortcut that is equal to or LARGER than your display (monitor) resolution will result in a window that fills your screen - ala full screen.
In other words - if your display setting (in Control Panel) is 1024x768 (or 800x600), and you add the switch above (-r1024x768) you will technically be in a window (which satisfies the game), but in effect, you will be in full screen.

EXAMPLE #1
"C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\EALand\TSOPatch\TSO.exe" -r1024x768 -w

EXAMPLE #2 *deleted as unnecessary*
Edited to change the command lines from 'Client' to 'Patch'

I

imported_LFancey

Note
Next weeks update will default to 1024x768

Thanks
Lee

G

I just wanted to say that Donavan's post worked perfectly for me. Just make sure that when you put in the code, it's all together without spaces. Here is my example:
"C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\EA-Land\TSOPatch\TSO.exe" -r1680x1050-w

It works beautifully. At first I thought there was a space and then you typed in the -w but it's all smooshed together. Thanks so much Donavan!!!

G

<blockquote><hr>

I just wanted to say that Donavan's post worked perfectly for me. Just make sure that when you put in the code, it's all together without spaces. Here is my example:

It works beautifully. At first I thought there was a space and then you typed in the -w but it's all smooshed together. Thanks so much Donavan!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess it depends on your OS....I have XP and the space has always been critical to make it work for me. All smooshed together, to use your words, made the string of code not work, and I know it's always been given in the instructions that the space has to be there. I'm not sure if Vista is any different or not, but that might be why you can't put the spaces in for yours to work

G

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]
Sorry - it only appears to be working. Without the " -w" (space,dash,w), window mode is not triggered. It seems to be working for you because your 'target' destination is EA Land which is not yet subject to the "no full screen" update, and... the "-w" at the end becomes superfluous without the space and is ignored. So, you are in an ACTUAL full screen, NOT a window. The true test is TC3, which has the update in effect right now. Without the edit (above) for windowed mode and resolution, the screen will default to a small window.
I guess I could have been clearer that example #2 for was for the future.
For now, just use Example #1.
Better yet, since use of the client is NOT recommended for this configuration, just use the following exclusively if you want to play full screen:
"C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\EALand\TSOPatch\TSO.exe" -r1024x768 -w

Or in the case of wide screen monitors like charliebfan:
"C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\EALand\TSOPatch\TSO.exe" -r1680x1050 -w

J

JRock

Thank you. I'll try that out. I noticed too that there is no change when just putting "r-1024x768. Only when I changed my desktop resolution did I see a change.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

Luc said,

on January 9th, 2008 at 8:01 pm

We are still working on the lag. we will probably publish again tomorrow.
I would like to know if “new” CC chairs are working. I am not sure we fixed the old chairs yet.
The game will soon not work in full screen anymore, we have too many features coming from the web.
Any issues connecting? we are always worried about this issue.
Thanks
Luc

[/ QUOTE ]

Am I the only one that has always prefered full screen mode to windows mode? I hate the windows mode! The windows cannot be maximized or resized. I've never been able to build in windows mode because it gets stuck when painting wall papers and doing floors. I can't even count the number of times I've accidently tiled the entire first floor with one color due to windows mode bugginess!

[/ QUOTE ]
What features from the web?
I swear, this is becoming less and less of a game, and more and more of a web hub.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's one Useful one too !

Polly

G

These kind of things are like all new technology. We dont trust it at first but at some point it becomes so totally integrated into our daily lives that we cant believe we ever lived without it. A year from now most of us will be extolling the virtues and some will never be convinced no matter what anyone says. Either way technology moves forward whether we like it or not, its a good thing too or we would all still be cooking dinner in the fireplace and washing laundry in the nearest body of water!

G

<blockquote><hr>

These kind of things are like all new technology. We dont trust it at first but at some point it becomes so totally integrated into our daily lives that we cant believe we ever lived without it. A year from now most of us will be extolling the virtues and some will never be convinced no matter what anyone says. Either way technology moves forward whether we like it or not, its a good thing too or we would all still be cooking dinner in the fireplace and washing laundry in the nearest body of water!

[/ QUOTE ]
Dunno about that.
You can't have progress without change, but not all change *is* progress.
This latest gizmo is only marginally helpful, and has some daunting drawbacks.

D

donnallg

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

Luc said,

I would like to know if “new” CC chairs are working. I am not sure we fixed the old chairs yet.
The game will soon not work in full screen anymore, we have too many features coming from the web.
Thanks
Luc

[/ QUOTE ]

Am I the only one that has always prefered full screen mode to windows mode? I hate the windows mode! The windows cannot be maximized or resized. I've never been able to build in windows mode because it gets stuck when painting wall papers and doing floors. I can't even count the number of times I've accidently tiled the entire first floor with one color due to windows mode bugginess!

[/ QUOTE ]

So the ones that don't access any of these features coming from the web will have to suffer. I preferr Full Mode and don't like Windows mode. So here is another thing that we get reemed on.

If I wanted to play a game like Second Life I would be playing Second Life now instead of watching a game that'd I've played for years turn into a game that I despise.

Why doesn't the Developers listen to what some of us have to say? They run with the ones that are all for what "they" want added to the game but don't think twice about the ones that don't agree with them.

I'm honestly thinking that they should have shut down the game. At least there would be no reason for me to be playing and hoping the game will be fun again.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

Luc said,

Thanks
Luc

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So the ones that don't access any of these features coming from the web will have to suffer. I preferr Full Mode and don't like Windows mode. So here is another thing that we get reemed on.

If I wanted to play a game like Second Life I would be playing Second Life now instead of watching a game that'd I've played for years turn into a game that I despise.

Why doesn't the Developers listen to what some of us have to say? They run with the ones that are all for what "they" want added to the game but don't think twice about the ones that don't agree with them.

I'm honestly thinking that they should have shut down the game. At least there would be no reason for me to be playing and hoping the game will be fun again.

[/ QUOTE ]
Look in the 'tech' forum for simple ways to work around the full screen problem.
In addition, Lee said in another thread that 1024x768 resolution would be the default starting next week - good news for the full screeners.