• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

No more Full Screen mode!!!!!

• Thread starter imported_Gracie Nito
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
I

imported_Gracie Nito

<blockquote><hr>

Luc said,

on January 9th, 2008 at 8:01 pm

We are still working on the lag. we will probably publish again tomorrow.
I would like to know if “new” CC chairs are working. I am not sure we fixed the old chairs yet.
The game will soon not work in full screen anymore, we have too many features coming from the web.
Any issues connecting? we are always worried about this issue.
Thanks
Luc

[/ QUOTE ]

Am I the only one that has always prefered full screen mode to windows mode? I hate the windows mode! The windows cannot be maximized or resized. I've never been able to build in windows mode because it gets stuck when painting wall papers and doing floors. I can't even count the number of times I've accidently tiled the entire first floor with one color due to windows mode bugginess!

N

NightFlyer

I'm with you. Always played full screen.

One more change I would rather not see.

One more brick in the wall.

I

imported_Dali Dalinza

<blockquote><hr>

Am I the only one that has always prefered full screen mode to windows mode? I hate the windows mode! The windows cannot be maximized or resized. I've never been able to build in windows mode because it gets stuck when painting wall papers and doing floors. I can't even count the number of times I've accidently tiled the entire first floor with one color due to windows mode bugginess!

[/ QUOTE ]

You are not the only one. In all the years I've played TSO I think I used windows mode maybe five times. I was dismayed when I saw this mentioned on the blog. What games worth their salt only play in windows mode?

Meh. Not my cause of the week. Still...
mini-rage perhaps.

J

JRock

Well I hope that they allow us the resize the window because mine is extremely small. Plus it is nearly impossible to scroll to the left, right, up, or down. This won't be too cool for me.

I

imported_Gracie Nito

OMG. I forgot about the scrolling in robot factory. It's almost a sure death when I work in windows mode!

I

imported_Dali Dalinza

<blockquote><hr>

OMG. I forgot about the scrolling in robot factory. It's almost a sure death when I work in windows mode!

[/ QUOTE ]

I was just thinking the same thing. Not being able to scroll will be a handicap in many aspects. Those people who always play in windows mode need to share their tips.

Maybe Luc made a typo. Maybe he meant the game won't work in windows mode anymore.

G

Always used windows mode, I hate full screen and the fact that I can't access other stuff while playing TSO.

I

imported_Dali Dalinza

<blockquote><hr>

Always used windows mode, I hate full screen and the fact that I can't access other stuff while playing TSO.

[/ QUOTE ]

hmmm. I shrink the TSO screen to do other things. You are saying you never had a problem with working the robots or building or scrolling around a house? Share your tips.

G

i never played in full mode..... so that doesnt affect me much hehe

I

imported_Gracie Nito

<blockquote><hr>

i never played in full mode..... so that doesnt affect me much hehe

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah. Then you never enjoyed the pleasures of edge scrolling. Edge scrolling does not work for me in windows mode at all. All that clicking from side to side drives me nuts.

I

imported_DutchAmerica

I use the 'arrow' keys to move around while in 'windowed' mode. Especially when putting in floors.

That way you can keep the mouse free to click on things while you move around.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

hmmm. I shrink the TSO screen to do other things. You are saying you never had a problem with working the robots or building or scrolling around a house? Share your tips.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope, I'm actually a pro builder.. lol.

I just hold right-click/hold Alt and move the mouse. If I need to see a whole house then I far zoom.

G

<blockquote><hr>

I use the 'arrow' keys to move around while in 'windowed' mode. Especially when putting in floors.

[/ QUOTE ]

You could just hold Alt and move the mouse.

I

imported_Gracie Nito

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok the Alt key might be what I need in factory. I'll have to try the jobs again using that.

*Sigh

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok the Alt key might be what I need in factory. I'll have to try the jobs again using that.

*Sigh

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I'd do.

If you wanna do some jobs together, contact me.

G

I prefer windows mode, but I also understand reasons why some prefer full screen. You can't actually see the whole map in windows mode either. Have you tried adding -r960x600 -w to your short cut? That use to work to make the window bigger, but I have that on mine and it isn't making any difference for me.

Personally, I think anything they add that pulls players off to something out side the game, will be bad for the game. There are enough AFKers playing now, why give them even more reason to not pay attention.

G

<blockquote><hr>

I prefer windows mode, but I also understand reasons why some prefer full screen. You can't actually see the whole map in windows mode either. Have you tried adding -r960x600 -w to your short cut? That use to work to make the window bigger, but I have that on mine and it isn't making any difference for me.

Personally, I think anything they add that pulls players off to something out side the game, will be bad for the game. There are enough AFKers playing now, why give them even more reason to not pay attention.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I like to multi-task, though I have ADD.

It's better for me to have windows so that I can check the forums or some other forums I go to. I can also talk in Yahoo, Xfire, stuff like that.

G

I never play in full screen mode, but I have added the following to resize my game in windows:

-r1024x768

Polly

I

imported_Gracie Nito

All that does is change the resolution. It doesn't actually resize the windows.

G

Definitely seems bigger to me *shrugs*

Polly

Edited to add: It would be wonderful if we could resize the window to however big we want it (like you can with SL)

G

<blockquote><hr>

Definitely seems bigger to me *shrugs*

Polly

Edited to add: It would be wonderful if we could resize the window to however big we want it (like you can with Satan)

[/ QUOTE ]

Please don't refer to the worst game ever made.

Thx.

And yeah, it would be awesome if we could drag the window to resize it.

I

imported_Dali Dalinza

<blockquote><hr>

I never play in full screen mode, but I have added the following to resize my game in windows:

-r1024x768

Polly

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, CG, Polly et al, I knew some of you preferred windows mode and could give us tips. Thanks, I will try them.

Do other games only run in windows mode? I think handhelds when I think windows mode, not "real" games.

I sounds like the demographic for this game are multi-taskers, which is probably why the devs are taking this direction.

N

NightFlyer

I can go outside the game with one click of the task switch key. No need to use windows mode. I don't understand why we need this change at all.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

-r1024x768

Polly

[/ QUOTE ]

It sounds like the demographic for this game are multi-taskers, which is probably why the devs are taking this direction.

[/ QUOTE ]

Multi-taskers and sufferers of ADD.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

Luc said,

I would like to know if “new” CC chairs are working. I am not sure we fixed the old chairs yet.
The game will soon not work in full screen anymore, we have too many features coming from the web.
Thanks
Luc

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
What features from the web?
I swear, this is becoming less and less of a game, and more and more of a web hub.

N

NightFlyer

I agree.

As I stated previously there is no need for windows mode with a switch task key.

What about all of us not planning to use any of thier new web features? Why must we also be inconvenienced by this change?

I

imported_DutchAmerica

With Windows Vista, there is no telling when a security window is going to pop up.

When your game grinds to a halt and freezes...ya kind start learning it's probably the firewall. And clicking that 'windows' button tends to make matters even worse.

Running 'windowed' not only allows people to multi task but it also allows you to be more aware of what's trying to access your computer and what 'risk' warnings may be popping up.

btw...I hate Vista!!!

G

Well there is avatar book for starters (yes Donavan, I know you don't like, but thats not to say everyone doesn't.

Maybe things like being able to buy and sell ingame objects via a website - particularly useful for custom content designers ?

Imagine if you could browse lists of houses for sale online and purchase them securely so that you become the owner and the simoleans leave your account - all while you are busy surfing at work or wherever ....

The possibilities are endless ....

Polly

G

<blockquote><hr>

Well there is avatar book for starters (yes Donavan, I know you don't like, but thats not to say everyone doesn't.

Maybe things like being able to buy and sell ingame objects via a website - particularly useful for custom content designers ?

Imagine if you could browse lists of houses for sale online and purchase them securely so that you become the owner and the simoleans leave your account - all while you are busy surfing at work or wherever ....

Polly

[/ QUOTE ]
Yer darn tootin' I don't like it, and not because I'm a fuddy-duddy (even if I am).
The security issues are REAL. Anybody that willingly puts their RL identity at risk for the sake of a game is asking for a boatload of trouble that will affect them for years. The devs need to address those issues and CONFIRM that all they are doing regarding web features are safe and secure.
I've seen what ID theft can do - trust me, you'd rather have some hideous disease.

G

Just tagging here

Those that have problems scrolling in window mode, remember that your keyboard is your friend. You can use the arrow keys to scroll the screen as well as "Page Up" and "Page Down" to move from the first floor to the second and back again.

I guess this issue doesn't really bother me. I've always multi-tasked while I was playing so I've been using windows mode from the beginning. I understand that there are concerns. Just throwing in my two cents.

G

Not really wishiing to derail this thread by getting in to it too much, but I don't see anywhere in my post suggesting that RL details should be revealed or put at risk?

You do not need to reveal any RL details on Avatarbook - or even Facebook come to that. As people have already suggested you can set up a FB account with your sim details including any kind of hotmail or yahoo email address you choose to create.

All suggested monetary transactions above were in simoleans btw.

Polly

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

Luc said,

Thanks
Luc

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, I do not not see this as enhancing the game at all. More of a step backwards.

G

4 years and I've always played in full-screen...was not happy to read this bit of news at all

E

Elizabeth Z

As someone with a horrible Stigmatism &lt;sp&gt; and bad eye sight as it is I always used to play in full screen mode. If I wanted to check the net I used the window key or tabbed to other screens. I honestly don't think this is fair...

The folks whom like window mode great ! But why are others not even given a choice here? Bad bad idea *squints*

Liz

G

Thats lame. . .

If we have too many web apps coming up or whatever why don't we just make the internet window come up in game. . .like "There." I don't ever play full screen either but still. . .we either need that or an option to resize the window.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Polly

[/ QUOTE ]That's fine...if we want to do those things we can use windows mode...but we should be given the option IMO

G

well if they do that then they needd to add some bigger screen resolutions besides 1024x768 and as for someone mentioning different res sizes they don't really work wwhen using other then 800x600 or 1024x768.. You masy *tink* it does, but honestly all that happens is the game defaults to 800x600 stretched to full screen size is all.

G

<blockquote><hr>

With Windows Vista, there is no telling when a security window is going to pop up.

When your game grinds to a halt and freezes...ya kind start learning it's probably the firewall. And clicking that 'windows' button tends to make matters even worse.

Running 'windowed' not only allows people to multi task but it also allows you to be more aware of what's trying to access your computer and what 'risk' warnings may be popping up.

btw...I hate Vista!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

u do know there is a way in control panel to turn off those annoying security screeens that pop up for almost everything u touch in vista? lol

S

swissmoonbeam

I've always hated windowed mode..i have to play that way on trips (on my laptop), because it overheats. But at home, on my desktop I only used full screen. And i just hit the windows button when i need to check email or whatever. I really hope they're not going to do away with it.....not sure i could play as much in windowed mode, because it really annoys me....

G

I always play windowed, even to build, tho I would love it if the window was resizeable. I left Luc a comment on the blog asking if it will be, hopefully he answers.

G

I think it's BS..... I've always played in Full Screen Mode. Wouldn't have it any other way. But we should have a choice between the two. What does these new Web features matter if your in Full or Windowed Mode, either way if you click on Facebook or the Wiki in game, it automatically reduces your screen.

This on top of not being able to re-create sims in production cities when I have a paid account (Mind you I read the blog to late after deleting 2 sims) is making me grumpy...

I don't want to rant here.... so that's all I have to say about that.. lol

D

Dita'

Change your screen resolution to playing the game to 800x600 and your screen in the game will be big! works fine for me

B

Bindy

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

Luc said,

Thanks
Luc

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I prefer full screen also although I do run windows mode if Im running both of my accounts at the same time. But for building I definately use full screen.

This is becoming a daily omg what are they going to mess up today sort of thing isnt it? Im sorry but Im getting overly tired of stuff like this. I dont feel this is any way to run a game. I know during all of the changes there is bound to be problems but ugh this is getting idk I dont have the words anymore to describe this game anymore.

It would be nice to have a decent explaination as to WHY we will be force to play in windows mode and not full screen.

I feel extremely bad for those people who have small monitors or small laptop screens. Not everyone has nice huge flat screen monitor. Those poor people trying to play in WM on a small screen will end up with daily eye strain and migraines.

First we're told some people might need to buy new video cards because of the new graphics. Now if you have a small monitor you just might need to buy a bigger one so you can still see the game while in WM.

Afraid to ask what's next?

D

Dita'

Change your screen resolution to playing the game to 800x600 and your screen in the game will be big! works fine for me
press alt tab to switch between the two windows when running two accounts or to minimize the game.

N

NightFlyer

TTL

We should have a choice.

The people that like windows mode can choose to go that way now.

Why should those of us who prefer full screen not be allowed our choice?

I

imported_Dali Dalinza

<blockquote><hr>

TTL

We should have a choice.

The people that like windows mode can choose to go that way now.

Why should those of us who prefer full screen not be allowed our choice?

[/ QUOTE ]

The stated reason seems to be because we will have many web-based applications infringing on the game, and that would make full screen [impractical? impossible? less lucrative? not sure what the word should be here].

Not to derail, but if this means we will have no choice about accepting web based applications to go with our game I'm agin it. Bah. Recent buzz about security dangers in the type of web-based extras that have been discussed is negative, to say the least.

G

Like I said before, if this is the direction they want to head in, then they should make the web come up ingame like There.

G

wow there really going to make this game not fun anymore, i never played in windows mode always full so if they take it away its going to suck maybe ill go find a new online game to play and stop the sims , its not like i can play with all the damn lag now anyways......hate to see whats next to make the game suck....