• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

New Stratics Q&A

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
If I read correctly the info posted earlier about trinkets, it sounds like you get no additional trinkets for posting more than once in the same thread. I got the impression you'd have to keep starting new threads to earn many trinkets for making posts. Don't know what would happen to your trinkets, i.e., if you'd lose some you already earned, if you started doing that and the moderators decided to merge multiple threads into one.
There are limits, either per day or life time on how much you can earn for forum activity.

Having a post or thread moderated and removed loses you 1 Trinket, unless it is identified as spam, then you lose 5. The loss would be for each post moderated.

The losses would rapidly out weigh the gain from creating a bunch of junk threads.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Will the new forum software indicate if a post has been edited from what was originally posted?

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I believe so, I'll double check on it later and update this. Currently I'm at my 9-5 job and can't access everything readily.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Another question for you, Nexus!

The Rules of Conduct for this site include this rule: "Q. You may not use an alternative user account to promote or support your main user account in a way that implies you are more than one person or to evade disciplinary actions."

Is this rule going to continue to be included in the Rules of Conduct and if yes, is it going to be enforced in any meaningful way going forward? Also, if you set up your own Community Group and make the access more or less open to everyone, what support will you receive from Stratics in the event you feel your new group is being invaded by an army of "sock puppets"? Will you be able to check IP addresses associated with user names? If not, who will have that ability and what will be done to make sure that information is restricted to just those who really need to know it?

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Another question for you, Nexus!

The Rules of Conduct for this site include this rule: "Q. You may not use an alternative user account to promote or support your main user account in a way that implies you are more than one person or to evade disciplinary actions."

Is this rule going to continue to be included in the Rules of Conduct and if yes, is it going to be enforced in any meaningful way going forward? Also, if you set up your own Community Group and make the access more or less open to everyone, what support will you receive from Stratics in the event you feel your new group is being invaded by an army of "sock puppets"? Will you be able to check IP addresses associated with user names? If not, who will have that ability and what will be done to make sure that information is restricted to just those who really need to know it?
That rule is mainly in place due to people in the past "bidding up" their own auctions in the trade boards. We will still monitor for shady activity like that.

With public user groups, if there is a concern it can be addressed to myself, or one of the Community Liaisons we plan to hire who will forward it to me. I'll investigate, and get with you to confirm or dispel validity of the concern and we'll talk options. Plus I do believe group admins can kick and block people from joining their group.

One of the methods used may be matching up IP addresses if necessary, among the staff an extremely select few will have access to do this though so it will be important to approach the proper individuals. This is one if the purposes of the Community Manager and Liaisons in the future. While the Liaisons will not be able to access this information themselves, they are to act as representatives of they community addressing concerns to the proper members of staff, as well as providing a bridge between community and developers.

azmodanb

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nexus another question do you sleep? You seem to be on the boards as much as I am.. and I don't really sleep. ha

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Nexus another question do you sleep? You seem to be on the boards as much as I am.. and I don't really sleep. ha
Lets offer a chance for @Larisa, @Zuckuss, or @Ron Bron to answer that one and see if it differs from my own answer.

Yes I do sleep but only 3-5 hours a day, my job presents me with a workload dependent complete on how many people need to be helped so if its a slow day, I'm afforded the benefit of being able to do this from my phone. At home, I keep our staff chat open and get fed things to look at in addition those I read myself. But on the whole I probably spend between 4 and 6 hours a day reading through the forums.

Ron Bron

Former President
VIP
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Lets offer a chance for @Larisa, @Zuckuss, or @Ron Bron to answer that one and see if it differs from my own answer.

Yes I do sleep but only 3-5 hours a day, my job presents me with a workload dependent complete on how many people need to be helped so if its a slow day, I'm afforded the benefit of being able to do this from my phone. At home, I keep our staff chat open and get fed things to look at in addition those I read myself. But on the whole I probably spend between 4 and 6 hours a day reading through the forums.
Nexus is like big brother... Always watching!

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I forgot to mention that I receive an alert on the boards for every new Uhall thread, and receive an E-mail for every time I'm tagged in a post, and for every PM I'm sent.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Nexus is like big brother... Always watching!
What's really sad... I do that, and work full time, and attend college full time.

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Nexus is crazy....CRAZY! He lives,sleeps and breathes Stratics....no lie....I'm a little worried about him

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Nexus is crazy....CRAZY! He lives,sleeps and breathes Stratics....no lie....I'm a little worried about him
It actually helps me sleep.... Usually I have so much rattling around it's difficult unless I mentally exhaust myself.

Yes rattling around, my brain is like a BB in a Boxcar....

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Will the new forums still include the UO Developer Feed, Bug Tracking, and Ask The Devs subforums and will they still function as they do now?

Also, how are you going to handle "sticky" posts in the various forums? Will we be able to bookmark favorite posts and are our bookmarks that we have now going to disappear with the transition?
Stickies will work the way they always have, that's not an issue. You'll be able to book mark Pages and Posts, and if you have book marks for uo.stratics.com or uo2.stratics.com for now they will still work. We won't have everything moved from those pages at launch, as many have to be manually copied from one site to the other (namely the uo.stratics.com content) due to there being no available way to convert their existing database format to the one we will be using. It will be a long process but we will get it done.

The Developer Feed, we may not be able to re-implement the same way. What you can do is visit a Dev's profile on the new site and see an activity feed of all the content they have generated. We're also discussing handling the Bug Tracking different. Mainly because the functionality of setting all posts to moderated in a specific forum isn't available in our new software. This is done in the Bug Tracker so we can keep Exploit details from being visible to the community at large, at the least as a stop gap we will have it up and simply remove any exploits posted, but that isn't ideal. If it became too much of an issue it may be that we ask Bugs and Exploits to be e-mailed directly to Broadsword. Ask the Dev can function as it does now.

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Another question regarding "trinkets": If someone wanted to start a group but had not yet collected the number of trinkets required, and this person did not have PayPal and had no intention of opening a PayPal account, would there be an alternative method of payment accepted, or would they just have to wait until they had passively earned the necessary trinkets over time?

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Another question regarding "trinkets": If someone wanted to start a group but had not yet collected the number of trinkets required, and this person did not have PayPal and had no intention of opening a PayPal account, would there be an alternative method of payment accepted, or would they just have to wait until they had passively earned the necessary trinkets over time?
Paypal is the only method for now, but you don't have to open a PayPal account to use it. If you go to Purchase Trinkets, you can go to the PayPal page and there is an option to use a Debit or Credit card without having an account. I can talk to the Owner and see if he is looking into alternative payment methods, but at this time the only alternative is to passively gain Trinkets, or create Articles and Guides that are publish to gain the Trinkets faster than the passive gains.

Blind Tom the Pirate

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Those are being migrated, and right before we flip the new site live I'm sending out an E-mail to all the Guild Forum owners asking if they want them to be setup on the new site or if they are disused and abandoned and should be archived out of sight.

Nexus and Stratics,
Question? Pike and Farsight are no longer with United Pirates, and are no longer, Owners or Moderators for UP's Page. Captain Trinsic is GM of United Pirates and has asked me to be or chief Moderator/Forum Contributor. Please contact me when new Stratics page goes live. Please also list Blind Tom as point person for all Administrative and Moderator contacts:
ICQ 113224114 also [email protected]
Thank you, Blind Tom [UP] Black Market Proprietor / United Pirates Forum

Groups as they are set up have:
Activity stream (Group Wall)
The top page for the group can be edited to act as an Info or Welcome Page.
A calendar
You can invite any Stratics Memeber
You have full control over your group, you can set additional admins or moderators for it and limit how much access those two roles have.
Right now it's a Single Forum, we're looking at a way to add Sub-Forums but at the moment a limitation is the software makes it so any Subforum would leave us unable to have the Group Owner as the Admin/Moderator for it without giving them full Moderation Access site wide. As soon as a solution is found I'll let everyone who Owns a group know.

The current plan is for everyone to start at 0 Trinkets. Imported data doesn't count towards the total automatically, and manually editing every single member of the site would take months.
Those are being migrated, and right before we flip the new site live I'm sending out an E-mail to all the Guild Forum owners asking if they want them to be setup on the new site or if they are disused and abandoned and should be archived out of sight.

Groups as they are set up have:
Activity stream (Group Wall)
The top page for the group can be edited to act as an Info or Welcome Page.
A calendar
You can invite any Stratics Memeber
You have full control over your group, you can set additional admins or moderators for it and limit how much access those two roles have.
Right now it's a Single Forum, we're looking at a way to add Sub-Forums but at the moment a limitation is the software makes it so any Subforum would leave us unable to have the Group Owner as the Admin/Moderator for it without giving them full Moderation Access site wide. As soon as a solution is found I'll let everyone who Owns a group know.

The current plan is for everyone to start at 0 Trinkets. Imported data doesn't count towards the total automatically, and manually editing every single member of the site would take months.

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Paypal is the only method for now, but you don't have to open a PayPal account to use it. If you go to Purchase Trinkets, you can go to the PayPal page and there is an option to use a Debit or Credit card without having an account. I can talk to the Owner and see if he is looking into alternative payment methods, but at this time the only alternative is to passively gain Trinkets, or create Articles and Guides that are publish to gain the Trinkets faster than the passive gains.
Thank you for the clarification.

Ron Bron

Former President
VIP
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Thank you for the clarification.
For the time being we are sticking with PayPal for checkout because they are secure, well known, and it also avoids the need for Stratics to see or retain billing information. As Nexus mentioned, you can also use normal credit card processing via the PayPal gateway without the need to ever create a Paypal account.

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Wow. This forum just went down the tubes with what I just read that you are implementing. Trinket system? Wtf...

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Wow. This forum just went down the tubes with what I just read that you are implementing. Trinket system? Wtf...
For most users it won't change anything. It's replacing "Stratics Pro" in a sense where people contribute either monetarily or through contributing their own Articles and Guides will be able to reap a few extra rewards. Mainly at this time that consists of creating their own User Groups which will have a Wall, Calendar, Group Chat Box, and a Single Forum. These User Groups will fall under RoC but won't be moderated by us, they can be set to hidden meaning they require an invitation to see, or private which means people can see there is a group there, but not access it without an invitation, or they can apply to a private group and not gain access to it unless the application is approved.

In the past, Stratics Pro was strictly monetary, with the Trinket system, there are ways to contribute and earn trinkets based on the type of contribution. Simple forum posts and replies, and article/guide comments will be the lowest level of passive earning along with site visits, you can also get them a bit faster from recruiting people to the site via a referral link which will be in your profile (to a certain number of times), and as I mentioned adding articles and guides.

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Am I the only one LOLing at the new trinket system?!

I wonder if this holds any reasoning behind the old mods leaving........
I am also, shall we say, less than enthusiastic. But I'm old, and my love/hate relationship with the increasing complexity of things in general (in both worlds) is steadily nudging that scale over to the negative side. As I stated in another post somewhere, I have decided to embrace my obsolescence. My approval or participation is certainly not needed by anyone.

Old Vet Back Again

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
I love how no one is catching the simple fact there is a cap on the amount of trinkets you can acquire in a day, but there is no cap in the amount you can lose. You make it seem as though there will be no penalties and you can post freely, but what about all the people that like to upload Gifs, pics or anything else for that matter? Now they have to use a trinket or force people to click a link to go to another website. Way to drive away the community that is here by your own greed. Shame on you @Ron Bron

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I love how no one is catching the simple fact there is a cap on the amount of trinkets you can acquire in a day, but there is no cap in the amount you can lose. You make it seem as though there will be no penalties and you can post freely, but what about all the people that like to upload Gifs, pics or anything else for that matter? Now they have to use a trinket or force people to click a link to go to another website. Way to drive away the community that is here by your own greed. Shame on you @Ron Bron
its not that bad, only costs 1 trinket to upload a pic. makes alot of business sense because all those pics add up and take alot of server space.

What i would suggest @Ron Bron is to give 20 or 30 trinkets at the creation of an account. A new user who has never used stratics before (visitor) and just wants to post some gear for sale needs to have enough trikets to do so. If i were a new stratics user, came here to sell a few items but then realized i couldnt because i didnt have trinkets i probably just wouldnt bother. To make just a couple mil gold most casual players wont bother spamming just to get trinket points or go to the effort of linking from other sites if they arent already familiar with it.

I think 20 trinkets would be ok, but 50 might be better to allow casual users who might only post a few times a year in traders hall with items for sale.

Remember, most gamers dont even use forums. If they come here and there is any "hold up" at all of functionality of what they came here to achieve they will most likely just not bother.

The Griefer King

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
i post alot of pix in traders hall. but i also see that new accounts get trinkets. what about the old account you transfer over? they have 0? how is that going to pan out. are we gonna get charged trinkets retroactive from the information transfer from here to new stratics?

Old Vet Back Again

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Smoot, There is a daily cap on the amount of trinkets you can get by "being" active on the forums. You cannot spam multiple posts and acquire a trinket each time. You get 1 trinket and ONLY 1 trinket when you log in each day. Don't be so naive man. All of those pics you post in the rares forum/trade forum will cost more to upkeep than you can earn.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
No one would be forced to go to another site, you can still embed images. It's uploading them to our server that costs. For example.

That's a picture of a piece of Obsidian I have laying around, It's not been uploaded to our server, I just embedded it using BBCodes, so the image shows here on the forum. It's still hosted on Flickr, and the image is fed from Flickr, the BBCode just created a frame to show it in and told it to load that image. Other image hosting services will work the same way.

Doing this wouldn't cost Trinkets, it's only if you upload the image onto our server by attaching the image file from your PC to your post. The reason for the Trinket Cost, even small individual images in the 1MB range add up to a lot of storage space when you have thousands of them.

Charging the Trinket provides a way to make sure people who typically are good members of our community and rarely upload images to our server to do so with no real cost as passive gains in trinkets will cover it. Those who consistently upload images in quantity, will need to either contribute guides, articles, get new people to join the site via referral, or contribute monetarily if they don't wish to embed their images into their posts from outside Stratics. We are not an image hosting site, it all equates to asking those who want to get the most out of our service to contribute to the site in one form or another.

Community Groups are another way this works, if you want to have a guild forum, you can either spend months passively gaining the Trinkets, contribute content in the form of articles and guides, or purchase the Trinkets ($10 worth) to have a Group you name, manage, and run hosted here on Stratics.

Now as for the loss of trinkets? Yep it's unlimited loss a day, it encourages people to post within our guidelines which are spelled out in the Rules of Conduct, and Terms of Service. Those who can't do so will have their posts moderated and lose 1 trinket for each post it happens too. You can go into a negative balance through moderation, this means you'll have to either behave or buy your way out of the negative balance. It also serves as a visual cue to Moderation staff as to whom the trouble makers in our community are.

There are also other ways to lose trinkets as is in the list earlier in this thread, but they are primarily to offset the gain you received when you did the reverse of the action that gained you the same amount of trinkets to start with, it limits peoples way of gaming the system.

Every way you stack it up the reasoning from us is we are putting in a system that allows us to reward our community members, in exchange for contributions to the site, based on the type and impact those contributions make. Articles and Guides involve time spent by the community member researching and writing them up, they gain more than someone that only makes a post on the forums. Monetary support goes towards offsetting our considerable hosting fees, this gains more than Articles and Guides because it helps float the entire site. Negative contributions equate to lost of Trinkets.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Smoot, There is a daily cap on the amount of trinkets you can get by "being" active on the forums. You cannot spam multiple posts and acquire a trinket each time. You get 1 trinket and ONLY 1 trinket when you log in each day. Don't be so naive man. All of those pics you post in the rares forum/trade forum will cost more to upkeep than you can earn.
only thing you really need trinkets for is groups, and i cant really see many people using that option unless they are a die hard. currently i really dont think it will be a problem for me, i only post around 4-5 pics a week. Only person i can see it being a problem for is someone who doesnt use the forum muchs except solely to post pics of many pieces of armor.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
its not that bad, only costs 1 trinket to upload a pic. makes alot of business sense because all those pics add up and take alot of server space.

What i would suggest @Ron Bron is to give 20 or 30 trinkets at the creation of an account. A new user who has never used stratics before (visitor) and just wants to post some gear for sale needs to have enough trikets to do so. If i were a new stratics user, came here to sell a few items but then realized i couldnt because i didnt have trinkets i probably just wouldnt bother. To make just a couple mil gold most casual players wont bother spamming just to get trinket points or go to the effort of linking from other sites if they arent already familiar with it.

I think 20 trinkets would be ok, but 50 might be better to allow casual users who might only post a few times a year in traders hall with items for sale.

Remember, most gamers dont even use forums. If they come here and there is any "hold up" at all of functionality of what they came here to achieve they will most likely just not bother.
i post alot of pix in traders hall. but i also see that new accounts get trinkets. what about the old account you transfer over? they have 0? how is that going to pan out. are we gonna get charged trinkets retroactive from the information transfer from here to new stratics?
Everyone imported is starting from 0, though there are a lot of ways to earn them from the go, Social Group you join gives you 5, so if you join the Ultima Online group that's 5, then there are the individual Shard Groups, another 5 for each one. Just by joining all the UO related groups there's the possibility of 150.

I do see what you are saying though about imported Accounts having 0 vs the 10 new accounts would start out with, I'll discuss it with the boss and see if he'd be Ok with giving existing accounts the 10 for registration. I can say that it is not possible to credit for migrated content.

The Griefer King

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
i post 10-20 pix in one auction all uploaded from my cpu so i dont have to host them all. so for me to po tmy auctions now i would either have to waste more time uploading each pic 1 x 1 then copy pasting links and then embedding each one. instead of a simple attach file. oh, unless i pay rl money to do so.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
only thing you really need trinkets for is groups, and i cant really see many people using that option unless they are a die hard. currently i really dont think it will be a problem for me, i only post around 4-5 pics a week. Only person i can see it being a problem for is someone who doesnt use the forum muchs except solely to post pics of many pieces of armor.
For now Groups are all we have in place, we're looking at other features to add in the near future.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
i post 10-20 pix in one auction all uploaded from my cpu so i dont have to host them all. so for me to po tmy auctions now i would either have to waste more time uploading each pic 1 x 1 then copy basting links and then embedding each one. instead of a simple attach file. oh, unless i pay rl money to do so.
You could always write articles about any MMO you wish or Guides for our supported titles, you don't have to pay money, but Stratics is not an image hosting service.

The Griefer King

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
You could always write articles about any MMO you wish or Guides for our supported titles, you don't have to pay money, but Stratics is not an image hosting service.
i was already gonna gamecast cuz flutter asked me too. was gonna gamecast league of legends. since yall rules for gamecasting uo i would have a hard time doing because of vent conversations etc because i pvp mostly. nothing came out of it. ,i was kind of upset. but meh its whatever. id still gamecast league for yall. would that do anythign for trinkets etc?

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
i was already gonna gamecast cuz flutter asked me too. was gonna gamecast league of legends. since yall rules for gamecasting uo i would have a hard time doing because of vent conversations etc because i pvp mostly. nothing came out of it. ,i was kind of upset. but meh its whatever. id still gamecast league for yall. would that do anythign for trinkets etc?
Actually it may, we're going to be opening up a Group for LoL with the new site, once we have everything up and ready I'll get with you on it.

Old Vet Back Again

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
What is the ToS/RoC on Guides I have written and then will upload to Stratics? Who will own them, and will I be able to post them on multiple sites?!

The Griefer King

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Actually it may, we're going to be opening up a Group for LoL with the new site, once we have everything up and ready I'll get with you on it.
good deal. im a pm away and most of the people here know me anyways and how to get ahold of me. flutter. giggles. soulweaver. mithryyl elves. sage of wisdom. norrington. im not hard to find =0 thank you for your time

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
What is the ToS/RoC on Guides I have written and then will upload to Stratics? Who will own them, and will I be able to post them on multiple sites?!
I'll get clarification on that from the boss once he's home from his 9-5

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I just upload my pics to imgur anyway so no big deal.

Ron Bron

Former President
VIP
Alumni
Stratics Veteran

Excellent suggestion. As @Nexus mentioned, just by logging in the first time and joining a couple groups, you will likely end up with 30-50 trinkets and for most people, they will never run out, but will net positive each day. It wouldn't hurt to start everyone at a positive number though, instead of 0, so we will see if we can do a bulk operation like that. Good suggestion.

Ron Bron

Former President
VIP
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
How much will it cost to post a topic in the Atlantic Shard forum? If it is more than a dollar that is too high a price.
It actually won't cost you anything. You can make unlimited posts, and will actually gain trinkets for logging in, joining the Atlantic group, starting topics, and replying to topics. You would only be charged 1 trinket per image upload (50 trinkets can be purchased for $1).

Ron Bron

Former President
VIP
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
I'll get clarification on that from the boss once he's home from his 9-5
From the TOS,

"Bazaaro does not claim ownership of any materials you provide to the Site (including feedback and suggestions) or post, upload, input or submit to any Bazaaro Site or our associated services (collectively “Submissions”). However, by posting, uploading, inputting, providing or submitting your Submission you are granting Bazaaro, our affiliated companies and necessary sublicensees permission to use your Submission in connection with the operation of their Internet businesses including, without limitation, the rights to: copy, distribute, transmit, publicly display, publicly perform, reproduce, edit, translate and reformat your Submission; and to publish your name in connection with your Submission."

In short, you still own the content and can post it anywhere else you choose, but you give Stratics (Bazaaro Community) the right to use the content as well.

Spiritless

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Am I the only one LOLing at the new trinket system?!

I wonder if this holds any reasoning behind the old mods leaving........
Sounds like a dumb childish system, but can probably be ignored like most of the other Stratics "features" in the past.

That said, I don't think you'll find many people who miss the old admins/mods around here. The current mods and administration have done a much better job at allowing discussions to flow freely and let people talk. That's primarily what discussion forums should be about.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Sounds like a dumb childish system, but can probably be ignored like most of the other Stratics "features" in the past.

That said, I don't think you'll find many people who miss the old admins/mods around here. The current mods and administration have done a much better job at allowing discussions to flow freely and let people talk. That's primarily what discussion forums should be about.
I wouldn't be so hard on the old staff, they operated under different slightly different goals and with an owner with a different approach than we are. Some had been around long enough I feel safe saying there were probably a bit burnt out, but they were and still remain for good people.

But about that Trinket system, if all you want to do is post on the forums, and read over what others have to say, then yes, you probably won't even really notice it. But for people who would like to open up a discussion group about another title, the Trinket System is how to do it, if someone wants to make a small place for specifically their RP group to post and interact with the larger community, the Trinket System is the way to do it. Want to start your own private trading ring for a game? (Provided it's not an RMT Group), then Trinkets are the way to do it. Want to create a group to spotlight a comic or storyboard you've created based on a game, Trinkets are the way to do it. A small guild forum? Trinkets yet again...

I'm not saying you couldn't do some of those things in the forums at large in their proper sections, you can and could, but if you want more control over your content then making a group dedicated to it makes sense. The system isn't for every user, we get and understand that, but it would be rather useful for many in our community. While the group content has to fall under our RoC, there is nothing stopping people from establishing a set of rules for their group that is tighter than our Rules of Conduct. You could for example establish in a RP community a rule that says everyone has to post "In Charcter" unless they prefix their post with [OOC] (out of character), or if you want a discussion group where posting as a RP'ed character is prevented you could do so.

The upside is it allows people more control over how they interact with Stratics, and allows more diversity on the site, without having to ask our staff to set up new forums, which we would have to evaluate based on staffing difficulties. For Stratics it will work as a means to help offset our considerable hosting fees when people purchase Trinkets (Which I'm honestly planning to talk to the boss about changing that name it's silly!).

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
While the group content has to fall under our RoC, there is nothing stopping people from establishing a set of rules for their group that is tighter than our Rules of Conduct.
Im a little confused, if "private" groups are really private, why would the ROC matter or how would it even be enforced?

Also, how limiting do you feel the ROC will be on what games are allowed to be highlighted / discussed in a group? I know in the past stratics has labeled itself as a "family friendly" website, and dont see how many popular games would make the cut under those conditions.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Im a little confused, if "private" groups are really private, why would the ROC matter or how would it even be enforced?

Also, how limiting do you feel the ROC will be on what games are allowed to be highlighted / discussed in a group? I know in the past stratics has labeled itself as a "family friendly" website, and dont see how many popular games would make the cut under those conditions.
Largely the RoC will apply the way it does now, for public groups. With all groups, the enforcement would be handled by the group owner, Myself, in the new role as Community Manager (and possibly one or two people when and if the need arises) will be doing spot checks on community managed groups or if there is an issue reported from members of a group I'll/we'll be looking to it.

My entire position is moving away from overseeing the Moderators to helping the Community, much like this thread, I'll be addressing questions, helping individual group owners with technical questions, and helping them make sure their group stays within the guidelines. Private and Hidden Groups will be given more leeway, and the primary focus will be on things that would possible cause legal repercussions or if was to become available to developers from any studio and could harm a relationship with them.

For public groups related to an existing supported title, we're hiring Community Liaisons who will help fill much the same role and be the primary contact for that titles groups and work as being a bridge between Stratics and Development studios, as well as Stratics and it's Community, They'll be working at helping getting the community motivated and charged about helping grow support for that title.

With Private and Public Groups, what that means, is you probably wouldn't get contacted about trolling or profanity, unless it was extreme and we received complaints, but pornography, sharing of copyrighted material or another community members personal information without their concent, encouraging or facilitating the use of automation software (botting or scripting), and other things of that nature would wind up getting the group owner a request to remove it and work with them on assuring they understand what is and isn't acceptable. Group Owners can also add individual moderators from their group members to assist them, only within that groups area. Individuals who refuse to work with us to assure things are kept within acceptable condition may face having their group removed, with no refund of Trinkets, based on a review of the Group and it's past with the Site Owner, Myself, and possibly other members of Stratics Management.

The main reason we are concerned with content of Private and Hidden Groups is, even though they are private Stratics, is still providing the medium in which they are doing what ever they do. When a Torrent Site or File Sharing site is taken down they are held responsible because they are the medium people used to violate laws, we have to be aware and take steps to protect our legal liability.

Status
Not open for further replies.