New Stratics Q&A

• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 12, 2008
Will we be required to log in to have any kind of access at all to the forums and to the other non-forum content?

Also, will you be updating the site's Privacy Policy and any of the other legal-type documents/agreements governing someone's use of the site?

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 12, 2008
If password resets are mandatory for all of our usernames and to see any kind of content at all, will there be a nice, clear explanation on the site's front page explaining when the mandatory password reset became effective? Would hate to see old timers who haven't played in years meander over to Stratics and see no explanation about having to reset their password, freak out that their Stratics account was hacked, not have access to an old e-mail address that they might have used to link to their Stratics account, and just give up on the idea of returning to UO.

Also, if logging in is mandatory to see any UO-related content, I can't see that as being very friendly to people who might be considering trying out UO for the first time and who might have been told to "check out Stratics" if they wanted more information about UO.

Reactions: Christina Kardos

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 12, 2004
Awards
if I'm not here I'm there
Can we get this page archived in a special place please?
It was on my to-do list as a volunteer here and well, I am concerned now that it wont be saved.
We in the rares community use this list practically daily.
It is also kept and edited by @Manticore each season. It needs to be in a special place. (not tossed into the archives)
https://stratics.com/community/threads/em-event-items-rubbles-server-births.98800/

Thanks @Nexus. I promised the rares community that I'd make sure this was accessible.

@Ron Bron @Larisa @Zuckuss

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Oct 1, 2006
Crashapeake
community.stratics.com
So near the beginning of next week both the forums and the non-forum content on Stratics and Stratics-related sites will be accessible in new formats on the Stratics.com domain? And most of what we posted here in the forums this week will be pretty much lost?

Also, is it correct that we won't be able to see anything of any sort, forums or otherwise, on Stratics without being logged in? And when will we be able to reset our passwords?
Once the site is up you'll be able to see everything forum or not, without being logged in. The only things you will need to be logged in for is accessing the Social Groups, using the Chat features, and Posting in the forums. Yes unfortunately anything since this past Tuesday will be left behind on this forum, the sheer volume of posts we have to convert ment we had 2 options. Close the forums completely and do the convert, which we felt would be less desirable than leaving them open with a weeks worth of posts being left behind and archived. The conversion process isn't quick unfortunately. We're not getting rid of the posts, just setting this forum up as an archive. I'll send out a notice both here and on Facebook when people can start resetting their passwords.

These forums will be open for a week or possibly two after we launch so people can receive help in getting set up and used to the new site, after that these forums will be put into a read only status and no new threads or PM started.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Oct 1, 2006
Crashapeake
community.stratics.com
The post wi
It was on my to-do list as a volunteer here and well, I am concerned now that it wont be saved.
It is also kept and edited by @Manticore each season. It needs to be in a special place. (not tossed into the archives)
https://stratics.com/community/threads/em-event-items-rubbles-server-births.98800/

Thanks @Nexus. I promised the rares community that I'd make sure this was accessible.

The Post will migrate with all the others. All Forum Posts are being migrated except those since this past Tuesday, when we started converting the databases formats. 271,000 Topics and close to 2 million replies take a while to convert and any new posts made since this past Tuesday will be left here as an Archive, but with that thread, Manticore will have the ability to edit and update it once the new forums are set up and ready which will be the determining factor of when we flip the switch and make the site live.

Will we be required to log in to have any kind of access at all to the forums and to the other non-forum content?

Also, will you be updating the site's Privacy Policy and any of the other legal-type documents/agreements governing someone's use of the site?
You'll be able to read the forums, and all the other content while not logged in. You won't be able to make use of the features of Social Groups while not logged in though which would include the Event Calendars, and RSS feeds from various Sites like UO.com or the individual EM's sites. But everything that is migrated from uo.stratics.com and uo2.stratics.com will be available either on the site or if it has to be manually migrated, which is much of the uo.stratics.com information, we will be leaving those sites up until it is all converted and ready.

There are some changes to the Terms of Service, and Rules of Conduct, they are already up on the new site and when you activate your account you are prompted to read them over and check a box that you agree to them, this means everyone will have a chance to view them. The Privacy Policy isn't really changing, Stratics doesn't sell or distribute your information, there are a select few on staff who can see it namely the Forum Administrators and the Site Owner, no one else has access to this information unless you make it public.

If password resets are mandatory for all of our usernames and to see any kind of content at all, will there be a nice, clear explanation on the site's front page explaining when the mandatory password reset became effective? Would hate to see old timers who haven't played in years meander over to Stratics and see no explanation about having to reset their password, freak out that their Stratics account was hacked, not have access to an old e-mail address that they might have used to link to their Stratics account, and just give up on the idea of returning to UO.

Also, if logging in is mandatory to see any UO-related content, I can't see that as being very friendly to people who might be considering trying out UO for the first time and who might have been told to "check out Stratics" if they wanted more information about UO.
We are able to import individual user accounts but not their passwords. When you go to the Login Screen there is an option to Recover your password. If you have an error doing so, send me an E-mail at [email protected] and I'll work with you to correct it.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Oct 1, 2006
Crashapeake
community.stratics.com
Will the forum URL be different than it is now?
The Forum URL will be https://stratics.com That will be the URL for everything, you won't need several bookmarks to get to everything once everything is completed. Forums, and all our Guides and Articles are being integrated into one site. Everything will be categorized by game, purpose (like the hunters guide) and alphabetically. This way you will be able to with a couple of clicks filter out everything that isn't relevant to the subject matter you want to see.

At one time/date does the new website/forums go live?
As soon as it's ready, we want to have it ready at the latest early next week. If something unforeseen happens we'll update you here and on Facebook.

Right now we are in a sit and wait period as the conversion of the forums goes on. We're watching to keep things running smoothly in the process so we don't lose any posts beyond those that will be left archived here as it is impossible to do the conversion off the live forums, we're using a backup from Tuesday. The sheer amount of topics, and replies along with all the images on the forums is making it slow going, but we're getting there.

Reactions: silent

Ron Bron

Former President
VIP
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Sep 12, 2014

Sounds like something worth making into a sticky or an article... Thanks @Flutter

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Oct 1, 2006
Crashapeake
community.stratics.com
Sounds like something worth making into a sticky or an article... Thanks @Flutter
It's already a sticky, and the latest updates are from January, so it will migrate in tact and be waiting for future updates! It could be made into an article but it will need updated on a semi-regular basis.

All right Folks I'm heading out for the night I'll try to catch up on answers tomorrow and continue answering them until the launch.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Oct 1, 2006
Crashapeake
community.stratics.com
Thank you for the thorough replies, Nexus!
My pleasure, I'm really excited about the new site!

@Ron Bron, @Larisa, and myself have spent many a long night working through finding the best options available to implement features, discussing features we want to see added (many have been), testing features, transcribing articles that need manual migration (still on going), evaluating how we want things organized on the new site, and discussing and planing how staff actions may have to change with the new structure. It has been a long couple months and if I had to, I'd do it again.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nov 17, 2009
Atlantic
Thankyou @Nexus for posting the Q&A in the sticky, i realize the notice of the changes has been been going on for some time now, but stratics posters seem to glance over the top screen notice or have it disabled at times.

alot of my friends had no idea there were even changes, glad you have been making yourself so available to answer people's questions, as you know, people playing a 2 decade old game can be a bit reluctant to change lol. thanks again for answering questions, and hopefully stratics can become a community hub for gamers who play games other than Ultima.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Oct 1, 2006
Crashapeake
community.stratics.com
Thankyou @Nexus for posting the Q&A in the sticky, i realize the notice of the changes has been been going on for some time now, but stratics posters seem to glance over the top screen notice or have it disabled at times.

alot of my friends had no idea there were even changes, glad you have been making yourself so available to answer people's questions, as you know, people playing a 2 decade old game can be a bit reluctant to change lol. thanks again for answering questions, and hopefully stratics can become a community hub for gamers who play games other than Ultima.
We are working on making that happen, we still have a few things to reveal yet..... But what is perhaps going to be the biggest change is how we approach growth. In the past we've kind of had a "Field of Dreams" type approach of "If you build it...." That's going away. In the past that approach has had limited success. Instead what we are going to do is, start out with an offering of titles we can provide a level of support for, or through examination of our community found a large player base already present.

The ability of our community to start social groups is going to be important to site growth. Groups will not be limited to just supported titles, Many of us play games beyond UO, if you want to see support for another MMORPG or MOBA, start a group and begin growing it. Submit guides, articles etc., recruit people to the site to join your group. If you can grow it enough we'll offer to fully support the title, and most likely offer you a place on staff to give you new support in further growing that title.

Social Groups are going beyond this that though, they are ideal for a small to medium sized guild as they provide a single forum, an event calendar, group chat, and an RSS feed importer. Also if you were to set one up, you all will have a referral link in your profile, give it to guild members who have never used Stratics and you can recoup a portion of the Trinkets used to create the group. The same would hold true for Groups based on Titles we aren't officially supporting at this time.

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jul 11, 2004
Chesapeake
as long as I get a new title on new forums ;p and some banners

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Sep 8, 2006
Origin
I think everyone will enjoy the new site....I was skeptical at first when it was just a concept and I was told things like..*Oh it will be kind of like Facebook* Well...while I am not the type who posts what they had for breakfast or gives up-to-the-minute news on my daily life, I do use facebook to keep in touch with friends and family. I am not a facebook junkie so I was a little Leary.....I wish there was another way to describe it lol because when the site was finally fleshed out and I was able to see what RonBron meant I was blown away.

It has been a very cool experience and I agree with Nexus that if we had to do it all over again I would....now, it's still early and I'm just now having my first cup of coffee so I might just be delirious when I say that! LOL I kid....it's been a great ride and I can't wait for all of you to hop on and take that ride with us! :)

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Aug 12, 2001
Siege Perilous
mobile-cuisine.com
Oh come on, let the developers get a little Adsense revenue. Since becoming a website owner I've found that while I am not the biggest fan of advertising, it's not free to run a website. There has to be a revenue stream or you will be paying for hosting which can be 500-1000 a year depending on the type of server you run from out of pocket...la

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Apr 12, 2001
Denmark
Actually it's been a nice conversation so far, why would it be locked?
Oh it will be locked (read only), with your own words "After around a week after the launch these forums will be put into a Read Only state, and remain up for and undetermined amount of time, but no new posts, or conversations will able to be created."

I believe that was what Rico did mean :p

Damn I was way to slow, Victim and Rico beated me

Val'lyn De'ana

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Oct 22, 2014
Yew
Do you happen to know what the new avatar and signature image sizes will be? I'm a bit of a planner and I would like to have these images ready for the conversion.

-Val'lyn

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Oct 1, 2006
Crashapeake
community.stratics.com
We
What will happen to our Guild, Town, Community forums https://stratics.com/community/guilds/. Will they survive? Are they the group forums you speak about? Will we have to restart our guild/Town forums?
We are going to convert them to groups and hand them over to the individual in charge of them. I'll be sending emails out to the guild forum admins as we near launch asking them to verify ownership, and ask if they wish for it to remain open, or be archived and hidden from the public if it is no longer used.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Oct 1, 2006
Crashapeake
community.stratics.com
Si
Do you happen to know what the new avatar and signature image sizes will be? I'm a bit of a planner and I would like to have these images ready for the conversion.

-Val'lyn
I'll double check avatars, but signatures fall under the same guidelines as we have now.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
May 12, 2008
Nexus? Could I ask you to pop over to the Rusty Dagger and take a look at a question? I posted it just before ya made this Q&A thread.

Old Vet Back Again

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Dec 18, 2014
SO they want the public to build a network which once able to turn a profit they will immediately back while charging you to post in order to build it. Hmm, want to build a forum/thread for a new game? Go ahead and pay us to make it through our new "trinket" system, spend the time/energy/resources to build it and once it's big enough we will back it with little to no risk because we didn't invest anything into it's creation....The new stratics sounds amazing

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
May 12, 2008

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Oct 1, 2006
Crashapeake
community.stratics.com
SO they want the public to build a network which once able to turn a profit they will immediately back while charging you to post in order to build it. Hmm, want to build a forum/thread for a new game? Go ahead and pay us to make it through our new "trinket" system, spend the time/energy/resources to build it and once it's big enough we will back it with little to no risk because we didn't invest anything into it's creation....The new stratics sounds amazing
Well there's a couple things wrong with that image you're painting.

First off Trinkets don't have to be purchased, they can be earned either passively, by visiting the site and interacting on the forums (slowest), or more actively through contributing articles and guides (Faster) which we are stream lining to make easy for people to do, since that has been a much often asked for feature. Lastly through purchase (Fastest), you'll be able to leap frog the time investment in earning them. The whole idea is to find ways to reward people who contribute to our community. Being active on our forums is a way of contributing, writing articles and guides is a greater contribution in the long term, and direct financial contributions towards running and maintaining the site are even greater contributions and are being rewarded accordingly.

Secondly, it's not all about someone building up an entire title's worth of support, one of the things Community Liaisons and myself will be doing is keeping a pulse on the community an looking for interest in different titles, if a person starts a group for a game that's fine, but they'll still not be able to give it the level of support we can at the organizational level. User Groups get 1 forum, and no ability to create sub-forums, and the community member who creates it bears the burden of all moderation, support etc. for their group beyond simple support for technical issues in setting it up or answers on "how-to". Something we see more likely is community members who play more than one title, Say UO and another game we don't have a Group or Forum for, if they start a Guild Group for the other title, and we see enough users in it, or a number of guild groups for the same title pop up, we'll approach them and see if they are interested in helping build a new official group.

Additionally if you were to create a group for a new title, and draw in players from that title to Stratics using your Referral Link, and you max out your accounts life time rewards for referrals, you'll gain enough trinkets to start 4 more groups if you wanted.

It's not about exploitation of the community which is what you are implying. It's about finding ways to build in a manner that the community shows a need or interest for, and also rewarding individuals who make contributions to our community. If we see a title gain enough interest, regardless of if any articles, or guides have or have not been created for it, we're going to approach the owner of that group and see if they are interested in joining staff and start working towards a larger scale community for it.

Old Vet Back Again

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Dec 18, 2014
Since I seem to be so confused and misrepresenting this new stratics, do you care to break down the trinket system? 1 post =1 trinket. 500 trinket=starting your own group etc.

Let's see if you have some clarification for me...

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Oct 1, 2006
Crashapeake
community.stratics.com
Since I seem to be so confused and misrepresenting this new stratics, do you care to break down the trinket system? 1 post =1 trinket. 500 trinket=starting your own group etc.

Let's see if you have some clarification for me...
Here's a breakdown on how to earn or lose Trinkets.

GAIN:
  • Registration (New Accounts) 10
  • Site Visit 1 Daily
  • Referral Visitors 10 once Daily
  • Referral Signups 40 (10) times over the life of your account
  • New Forum Topic 1 once daily
  • Reply to Topic 1 (first time only)
  • Favorite Topic 1 (5) times life of your account
  • Invite someone to a Group (5) daily
  • Profile update 1 Daily
  • Friendship 1 Daily
  • Comment on someone else's profile 1 daily
  • Join a group 5 unlimited
  • Create an Article or Guide 50 (unlimited credited when approved and published by editor)
  • Comment on an article/guide you wrote (10) per post
  • Purchase 50 ($1)
Losses (These are always unlimited per day)
  • Spam Removal -5
  • Removed Comments -1
  • Upload an Image -1 (Linking to embed images from Photobucket or Flickr for example is OK and no charge, Articles and Guides do not charge just Forums and Activity Streams)
  • Topic Deletion -1
  • Reply Deletion -1
  • Leave Friendship -1
  • Create Group -500
  • Leaving Group -5
As you can see there are more ways to gain Trinkets than lose them, although there is no cap on many you can lose a day. Also the larger earning items are all things that lead to or equate in growth of the site. In other words the bigger your contribution the more Trinkets you receive. I was mistaken on the referral amount in the above post, I was looking at an older spreadsheet. It was changed to keep people from exploiting the system. You will not be able to trade, give away or other wise transfer Trinkets to another user. These gains and losses may wind up adjusted as we haven't had the opportunity to evaluate them on a large scale.

We aren't looking to force people to purchase the Trinkets, we're providing a good many alternative ways to gain them all tied to the level of contribution you or someone else makes to the site. The reason Monetary Purchase was added is as a way of rewarding people to make monetary contributions to the site. Several months ago people were donating to the site with nothing in return, or setting up re-occurring "Stratics Pro" accounts, and getting much of what we are going to be providing for users for free now.

The Reason for charging to upload an image, is they take up a large amount of storage space on our servers. Each file may be relatively small but thousands of them over time add up. Creating posts, replying won't result in a charge, it's only for uploading other content (images) to our server, Creating Groups, and for having moderation taken against you.

We're looking at other features to add to the site that may require trinket usage, but viewing Articles, Guides, or making simple Posts, and Comments will never cost you unless they are moderated.

Blind Tom the Pirate

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Jul 25, 2011
Michigan
Not exactly the twilight zone, the Owner made the decision to keep the forums up til right before we're ready to flip the switch on the new site. Regardless of how we handled it everything posted since Tuesday will be non-migrated and be left here in a view-able archive. We're going to give everyone 1 week to start using the new forums and site then lock all the boards here and disable Private Messaging on these forums so they will be in read only mode.

Think of it more like you're shifting into a parallel universe that runs a few days behind this one.
So what happens to Forums like our's United Pirates [UP] Catskills Shard my friend?

Spiritless

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
May 12, 2008
Europe
www.neoseeker.com
Don't worry too much about it. Stratics routinely has these bouts of delusions about being more than just a site for UO occasionally, which usually corresponds to coming under new management. They decide to change all the forum software and add "features" which no-one uses. Eventually they stop trying to force them down people's throats when they realize the whole demographic of the site is just here to discuss UO and the only reason they're here is because EA refuse to make an official forum. Stratics then gets sold after the failure to "expand" and we start again at step 1. Rinse and repeat.

:heart:

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Sep 14, 2012
I'll be blunt: the hidden/unmoderated group option sounds like a way for certain people to get away with breaking Stratics rules that would jeopardize the relationship Stratics has with official dev teams while washing Stratics' hands of any responsibility. I'm specifically thinking of RMTs, but I'm sure there are plenty of other ways users can and will abuse this. It also sounds like these unmoderated groups will not cost trinkets to post in, which even further incentivizes players to just branch off and avoid moderated areas, further fragmenting the community and creating lawless pockets of Stratics that break any and all rules.

I'm skeptical about the trinket system too. It will be interesting to see what constitutes a trinket-worthy article versus what doesn't. Right now, articles that probably should be placed in the news sections on the front page usually aren't--unless they are written by Stratics staff. Stratics having its own special "currency" feels rather Facebook-gamey to me. I come to Stratics because I play UO, not so that I can "play" Stratics.

Don't get me wrong; I think that Stratics is way, way overdue for some updating, particularly in regard to the aforementioned front page and main site. The main site has a lot of good information, but it is poorly organized and mixed with outdated information. Most people just use UOGuide I imagine. I see some interesting things in the new changes, but I'm just not sure yet that everything that's coming is a great idea.

I guess we'll see.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Apr 12, 2001
Denmark
Even when Create Group -500 sounds like a lot Trinkets, I would say it is worth it as you get a forum for your guild, where you don't have to care about a place to host it, skills to keep the software updated and your members having to remember one more login name and PW.
You say, a group get one forum and no sub forums but at the group forums we have now, we do have:

A member wall
A moderator wall, can be used for guild leaders
and it was meant to have A public wall too, but that did not work. Would be great for visitors
An info page
A calendar
You can add members with a stratics account.
You have some levels of control and can mod your forum

Now I don't know, if new groups will look like this but I believe I still will have a guild forum, a town forum and build a new one where a group of Siege players can add new Siege players, so they get a private place to hang out and find other young Siege players and supporters.

Now next question, have we earned some Trinkets from old forum or do we start with 10 for our account?

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
...Stratics is and has to become more so about more games than Ultima Online... Now I'm not saying we're cutting support for UO, we're not... but other titles have to become a major feature of Stratics as well in order to gain the traffic necessary to generate enough revenues to maintain the site.
I told a friend, when Taylor & crew left, that was behind the turnover. UO may not be abandoned (i.e. it's still in the house), but it's starting to smell like grandmother's old shawl that's on its way to the cedar chest. :(

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Oct 1, 2006
Crashapeake
community.stratics.com
So what happens to Forums like our's United Pirates [UP] Catskills Shard my friend?
Those are being migrated, and right before we flip the new site live I'm sending out an E-mail to all the Guild Forum owners asking if they want them to be setup on the new site or if they are disused and abandoned and should be archived out of sight.

Even when Create Group -500 sounds like a lot Trinkets, I would say it is worth it as you get a forum for your guild, where you don't have to care about a place to host it, skills to keep the software updated and your members having to remember one more login name and PW.
You say, a group get one forum and no sub forums but at the group forums we have now, we do have:

A member wall
A moderator wall, can be used for guild leaders
and it was meant to have A public wall too, but that did not work. Would be great for visitors
An info page
A calendar
You can add members with a stratics account.
You have some levels of control and can mod your forum

Now I don't know, if new groups will look like this but I believe I still will have a guild forum, a town forum and build a new one where a group of Siege players can add new Siege players, so they get a private place to hang out and find other young Siege players and supporters.

Now next question, have we earned some Trinkets from old forum or do we start with 10 for our account?
Groups as they are set up have:
Activity stream (Group Wall)
The top page for the group can be edited to act as an Info or Welcome Page.
A calendar
You can invite any Stratics Memeber
You have full control over your group, you can set additional admins or moderators for it and limit how much access those two roles have.
Right now it's a Single Forum, we're looking at a way to add Sub-Forums but at the moment a limitation is the software makes it so any Subforum would leave us unable to have the Group Owner as the Admin/Moderator for it without giving them full Moderation Access site wide. As soon as a solution is found I'll let everyone who Owns a group know.

The current plan is for everyone to start at 0 Trinkets. Imported data doesn't count towards the total automatically, and manually editing every single member of the site would take months.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Oct 1, 2006
Crashapeake
community.stratics.com
...Stratics is and has to become more so about more games than Ultima Online... Now I'm not saying we're cutting support for UO, we're not... but other titles have to become a major feature of Stratics as well in order to gain the traffic necessary to generate enough revenues to maintain the site.
I told a friend, when Taylor & crew left, that was behind the turnover. UO may not be abandoned (i.e. it's still in the house), but it's starting to smell like grandmother's old shawl that's on its way to the cedar chest. :(
It's partly true, the cost of maintaining the site is more or less equivalent to the cost of a new car payment (think Mustang not a SMART Car), even with our entirely volunteer staff. It's a noticeable financial cost on any one individual trying to maintain it, unless of course they are rather well off. The only way to make the site solvent is to increase ad revenue, or charge people to use of certain aspects. We're giving you all the opportunity to more or less chose which. By recruiting people to the site and helping us grow more titles, we'll increase ad revenues. By contributing guides and articles we can draw new faces to Stratics, by making direct financial contributions for Trinkets we can offset some of the costs.

Taylor love him or hate him, you all should realize without his intervention there would be no Stratics right now, the company that owned the site at the time he took it over was planning to close Stratics due to it being unprofitable. I think were given a 6 months notice to make it turn a profit or it was being axed.

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
Taylor love him or hate him, you all should realize without his intervention there would be no Stratics right now, the company that owned the site at the time he took it over was planning to close Stratics due to it being unprofitable. I think were given a 6 months notice to make it turn a profit or it was being axed.
Can't speak for anyone but myself, but I almost cried when Taylor left. I liked him very much.

Reactions: Taylor

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Oct 1, 2006
Crashapeake
community.stratics.com
I'll be blunt: the hidden/unmoderated group option sounds like a way for certain people to get away with breaking Stratics rules that would jeopardize the relationship Stratics has with official dev teams while washing Stratics' hands of any responsibility. I'm specifically thinking of RMTs, but I'm sure there are plenty of other ways users can and will abuse this. It also sounds like these unmoderated groups will not cost trinkets to post in, which even further incentivizes players to just branch off and avoid moderated areas, further fragmenting the community and creating lawless pockets of Stratics that break any and all rules.

I'm skeptical about the trinket system too. It will be interesting to see what constitutes a trinket-worthy article versus what doesn't. Right now, articles that probably should be placed in the news sections on the front page usually aren't--unless they are written by Stratics staff. Stratics having its own special "currency" feels rather Facebook-gamey to me. I come to Stratics because I play UO, not so that I can "play" Stratics.

Don't get me wrong; I think that Stratics is way, way overdue for some updating, particularly in regard to the aforementioned front page and main site. The main site has a lot of good information, but it is poorly organized and mixed with outdated information. Most people just use UOGuide I imagine. I see some interesting things in the new changes, but I'm just not sure yet that everything that's coming is a great idea.

I guess we'll see.
Hidden and private groups still fall under the RoC and site ToS. We will be doing spot checks if anything sketchy that can harm the site is posted we'll work with the group owner to correct it. Continual violations of those type can result in the group being removed and no refund given.

What we won't be doing is day to day moderation of them.

So, no we aren't going to allow groups for things like botting (scripting), porn sharing etc. If a group is public, they are being bound strictly to our site rules, hidden and private groups we will be a bit more lax on things like trolling and language.

Also private and hidden groups have to be joined voluntarily. If you join a group and see an issue contact me or the Moderation manager and they'll take a look.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Oct 6, 2013
I've checked it out via my phone, and it was very usable. Of course I already know the way the site is set up for navigation, but on the whole it didn't seem any more difficult than the existing site.
Sorry I have to ask again, but I am not sure if we are both talking the same.

Now on the forums with my mobile (which i use 80% of time when just reading, not posting stuff):
- The layout changes to the width of my small device width so you dont have to zoom in and out all the time
- All major links are big and padded with lots of whitespace, so they can be naviugated without zooming again

Do the new forums features this mobile friendlyness as well? Or do you have to constantly zoom in and out and pinpoint links? I'm worried because screenshots and videos posted so far make me feel its the latter.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 12, 2008
Will the new forums still include the UO Developer Feed, Bug Tracking, and Ask The Devs subforums and will they still function as they do now?

Also, how are you going to handle "sticky" posts in the various forums? Will we be able to bookmark favorite posts and are our bookmarks that we have now going to disappear with the transition?

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Sep 8, 2006
Origin
Right now, articles that probably should be placed in the news sections on the front page usually aren't--unless they are written by Stratics staff.
I'm going to chime in on this particular statement.

With the set-up of the new site, as Nexus has mentioned several times, ANYONE registered to the site will have the ability to submit articles and guides. I feel the same way you do! There have been several nice articles and guides posted in various forums that I would love to see made *offical* and not just lost in some thread somewhere.

This will be possible with the new site and I am THRILLED about that, I am looking forward to seeing what the community does with this particular feature.

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
May 18, 2012
charleston, SC
Geez, isn't this trinket system just going to encourage people to post a lot of blather just to get another trinket?

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Oct 1, 2006
Crashapeake
community.stratics.com
I'm going to chime in on this particular statement.

With the set-up of the new site, as Nexus has mentioned several times, ANYONE registered to the site will have the ability to submit articles and guides. I feel the same way you do! There have been several nice articles and guides posted in various forums that I would love to see made *offical* and not just lost in some thread somewhere.

This will be possible with the new site and I am THRILLED about that, I am looking forward to seeing what the community does with this particular feature.

Larisa is also the person charged with reviewing, and approving user submitted content.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 12, 2008
Geez, isn't this trinket system just going to encourage people to post a lot of blather just to get another trinket?
If I read correctly the info posted earlier about trinkets, it sounds like you get no additional trinkets for posting more than once in the same thread. I got the impression you'd have to keep starting new threads to earn many trinkets for making posts. Don't know what would happen to your trinkets, i.e., if you'd lose some you already earned, if you started doing that and the moderators decided to merge multiple threads into one.

Status
Not open for further replies.