• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

New Stratics Q&A

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
we are in the twilight zone now.

see you on the other side, if there is another side

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Is this like of of those vague Facebook posts where we're suppose to rub your back and beg you to tell us what the Hell your talking about? ;)

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Not exactly the twilight zone, the Owner made the decision to keep the forums up til right before we're ready to flip the switch on the new site. Regardless of how we handled it everything posted since Tuesday will be non-migrated and be left here in a view-able archive. We're going to give everyone 1 week to start using the new forums and site then lock all the boards here and disable Private Messaging on these forums so they will be in read only mode.

Think of it more like you're shifting into a parallel universe that runs a few days behind this one.

Lythos-

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not exactly the twilight zone, the Owner made the decision to keep the forums up til right before we're ready to flip the switch on the new site. Regardless of how we handled it everything posted since Tuesday will be non-migrated and be left here in a view-able archive. We're going to give everyone 1 week to start using the new forums and site then lock all the boards here and disable Private Messaging on these forums so they will be in read only mode.

Think of it more like you're shifting into a parallel universe that runs a few days behind this one.

Wait what? What new forums?

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Wait what? What new forums?
We're converting from Xenforo to a format that will integrate completely with Stratics.com. We're also working on moving all the content from uo.stratics.com, uo2.stratics.com, and stratics.com to the new site and have a system to filter it all by game, then all the content for that game alphabetically as well as some other categorization for things like the Hunters Guide. When we open the new site uo.stratics.com and uo2.stratics.com will remain online til we complete moving every piece of content from them to our new site as well.

While we migrate this content we're also looking at updating some of it, if they are small changes and making notes for larger updates that need to be made. Another nifty thing that we're looking at is creating desktop versions of all the calculators, so you can download them, have them able to "Stay on Top" while you are looking through BODS for example and able to view the list of one's that give a specific reward, and something that hasn't been included with the BoD calculators you'll be able to see the fame reward for turning one in. Of course this last thing is a good bit down the road but already in the works.

azmodanb

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
probably been answered but are the accounts and post counts and start dates all gonna migrate?

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Is there a way to save our conversations?
I suggest getting screenshots of the memories there you'd like to save. Usually when forums change we loose all of our private messages.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
probably been answered but are the accounts and post counts and start dates all gonna migrate?
Accounts are migrating, post count for topics and replies will be split and show only in your profile and below your avatar on the forums. Start Date will reset to when you re-activate on the new site, it's a completely different format, so if you want it to show, you might want to jot it down somewhere and stick it on your profile, or in a signature.

Everyone is having to do a password reset once the new site is live, this will re-activate your account.

*Update*
The new site will list you as having registered at the date you did here on the forums, but that date at the moment does not show anywhere, I'll talk with some folks about getting it set up to show.

azmodanb

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
another question.. will taptalk work with the new setup? i alot of us use it when we are afk

Lefty

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Another migration, meh..I hope all goes well, I remember back in the day tons of content was lost.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
another question.. will taptalk work with the new setup? i alot of us use it when we are afk
I'll get with the owner on this one, I'm not exactly sure myself as I don't use it.

Another migration, meh..I hope all goes well, I remember back in the day tons of content was lost.
We're actually going to recover some of the lost content, much of it was never deleted, it lost association with the person who posted it. What we're doing is planning to archive all these posts into a forum we are calling the "Forum of Lost Souls" where people will be able to browse through it but it still won't be attached to the original poster as there is no way to redo that association.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
desktop versions of all the calculators, so you can download them, have them able to "Stay on Top" while you are looking through BODS for example and able to view the list of one's that give a specific reward, and something that hasn't been included with the BoD calculators you'll be able to see the fame reward for turning one in.
Why not just do a mod for the EC? Way too easy? :p

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I recently found out what the "Stratics Legend" tag means and it sure as heck applies to me, but I never got one. Do I need to go dig up proof to have my tag? I'm not sure how to dig up proof, but hey, scarily, it's the Internet, I'm sure it's out there.
Actually those tags won't be automatically applied to people with the new site, instead users will be able to create their own custom forum titles.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Why not just do a mod for the EC? Way too easy? :p
Not everyone uses the EC. Additionally I don't believe you can run two mods at the same time with the EC, creating a EC mod, would possibly require people being forced to choose between using it and Pinoc's which is a fabulous mod in and of itself, though I wish it was more "Modular". Having a desktop utility allows people to use any client, it can be updated just as easily, and there's no chance an expansion or publish will "break" it.

Last edited:

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Just pinged our owner, Tapatalk will be available, but possible not as soon as we open the new site, we have to set the configuration for it after the site goes live, but it should be rather quickly after launch.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Since I've been doing it in multiple threads here on Uhall I'm making a one stop Q&A about the new site as we get ready for launch, I'll try to answer as many questions as I can here.

So Post your Questions Below!

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Is it designed to be as comfortale as xenforo on mobile devices (Not using Tapatalk or similiar)?

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Do you guys have any dates for when we will actually see the new website that will replace the uo2.stratics.com website and the Stratics forums? Also, when do you expect that we'll need to log in and reset our password? And will we only be able to see the old static content (i.e., non-forum stuff) if we are actually logged in? (I thought I heard that in one of the videos.) I'm having a hard time interpreting what the schedule for this transition (including expected downtime and completion date) is from the little blurbs up top (one of which is from 2/16) and what's on Facebook. Thanks.

Hannes Erich

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Actually those tags won't be automatically applied to people with the new site, instead users will be able to create their own custom forum titles.
Oh man, then can I please have a Legends title just for a few days? Pretty please? I opened my account in 97 (Nov) and came kicking and screaming to UOSS like the rest of us who complained too much on UO's short-lived forums, and have dutifully complained on these forums (and their ancestors) ever since. I earned my Legend tag fair and square, buster!

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Is it designed to be as comfortale as xenforo on mobile devices (Not using Tapatalk or similiar)?
I've checked it out via my phone, and it was very usable. Of course I already know the way the site is set up for navigation, but on the whole it didn't seem any more difficult than the existing site.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
I have my password saved. Which I don't remember :p Guess I'll probably be starting over again?

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I was under the impression that everyone would have to set up a new password after the forums are moved. Is that not true?
Yes this is true, to activate your profile on the new site everyone will have to do this.

Nexus did put a sticky thread up top ^ for any questions so they don't get lost down here.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Do you guys have any dates for when we will actually see the new website that will replace the uo2.stratics.com website and the Stratics forums? Also, when do you expect that we'll need to log in and reset our password? And will we only be able to see the old static content (i.e., non-forum stuff) if we are actually logged in? (I thought I heard that in one of the videos.) I'm having a hard time interpreting what the schedule for this transition (including expected downtime and completion date) is from the little blurbs up top (one of which is from 2/16) and what's on Facebook. Thanks.
Hopefully near the beginning of next week. To make it simple to explain, Stratics in the past has been a very fragmented network of sites. We've had uo.stratics.com uo2.stratics.com, swtor.stratics.com, wow.stratics.com, lotro.stratics.com, for example and of course Stratics.com. Each one of these was a completely basically a completely separate website which we linked back and for to along with our forums all of them shared. Some of them, mainly those other than UO Stratics content, were already rolled into Stratics.com, what we are doing is completing that evolution and including the Forum content as well.

What we're doing is using a more versatile CMS (Content Management System) setup and combining all those sites under just the Stratics.com domain. Forums and the non-forum stuff will all be one one site, you will be able to filter all of the guides and articles by Game, and then by special category (such as the hunters guide), and they will show alphabetically, much like an Encyclopedia ( which is what we are calling our Organization of content "Encylopedias"). Until everything is migrated in terms of non-forum content the old pages will be up, but no longer will they receive any updating. Once we do have everything migrated and archived the decision will be made as to when and if we will be taking them down. After around a week after the launch these forums will be put into a Read Only state, and remain up for and undetermined amount of time, but no new posts, or conversations will able to be created.

The site will be much more community oriented, and while we still plan to add guides, and articles, we're making an easy means for members of the community to contribute additional content and be rewarded on the site for doing so. Social interaction on the Internet has changed greatly since Bulletin Boards were created, and they have not kept pace. While we're still going to offer a traditional message board, there will be features somewhat more akin to Facebook which you can use or not use as you wish.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
just keep in mind very few of the veteran playerbase here like facebook (sorry flutter) it might do more harm than good to use that taboo word round here :confused:
That's why using these features are for the most part completely optional. Stratics is and has to become more so about more games than Ultima Online, and many of the players of those games may find the additional features useful. Now I'm not saying we're cutting support for UO, we're not, we are actually looking at ways to gain some more ground in that respect, but other titles have to become a major feature of Stratics as well in order to gain the traffic necessary to generate enough revenues to maintain the site.

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
That's why using these features are for the most part completely optional. Stratics is and has to become more so about more games than Ultima Online, and many of the players of those games may find the additional features useful. Now I'm not saying we're cutting support for UO, we're not, we are actually looking at ways to gain some more ground in that respect, but other titles have to become a major feature of Stratics as well in order to gain the traffic necessary to generate enough revenues to maintain the site.
you said "For the most part completely optional" that is not the same as "Optional" Facebook is the devil :devil:, and i will not use it, or anything like it. so let's hope these facebook-like options are "completely optional" :saberduel:

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
you said "For the most part completely optional" that is not the same as "Optional" Facebook is the devil :devil:, and i will not use it, or anything like it. so let's hope these facebook-like options are "completely optional" :saberduel:
Honestly then you shouldn't have been on the forums for years, because all those features have been here, just not quite as apparent or well integrated into the site. The only one I can see people using that wouldn't be completely options is the Activity Streams All RSS feeds are being fed into those instead of as Forum Posts.

Speranza

Slightly Crazed
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Have you ensured we will not lose the entire UO information database like we almost did the last big update?

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Honestly then you shouldn't have been on the forums for years, because all those features have been here, just not quite as apparent or well integrated into the site. The only one I can see people using that wouldn't be completely options is the Activity Streams All RSS feeds are being fed into those instead of as Forum Posts.
Smelling sarcasm is not your forte huh :p

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Smelling sarcasm is not your forte huh :p
Not when exhausted, we've been working on the new site for a long while and during this last push I think I've been getting about 3 hours a night in around helping with the new site, these forums, and my full time job

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Not when exhausted, we've been working on the new site for a long while and during this last push I think I've been getting about 3 hours a night in around helping with the new site, these forums, and my full time job
i understand, i just got off a 13 day straight 12 hour+ day jaunt. I am feeling punchy, and my sarcasm may not smell right anyway *chuckles*

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
We've been keeping regular backups of everything. Nothing will be lost, and all the various sites we have set up like uo.stratics.com and uo2.stratics.com will remain in operation until we have their information fully migrated and properly categorized.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
i understand, i just got off a 13 day straight 12 hour+ day jaunt. I am feeling punchy, and my sarcasm may not smell right anyway *chuckles*
Know the feeling, I worked as a maintenance tech at a factory once where you were scheduled 2 days off a year, 12 hours a day was a typical shift, when my counterpart (I was specialized on certain equipment) when on vacation I covered half of his shift as well.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The only one I can see people using that wouldn't be completely options is the Activity Streams All RSS feeds are being fed into those instead of as Forum Posts.
as long as there is a way for all threads in a group to be easily viewable / accessible. Like, in the rares forum, i like to be able to see everyones posts without having to specifically search for it. If somehow a thread automatically "falls off" if the feed is at max, i cant see this being a successful format for most current users.

hoping for the best

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Forum posts will show up in the feed, but it's more for people to make casual comments and stuff, or news that isn't relevant beyond a specific point in time.

Forums are completely separate from the feeds

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Well that didn't work last time so I'm not optimistic :)
Take note of my E-mail, [email protected] If you can't get into the new site I can do a manual password reset and setup a temp password for you. Shoot me an E-mail if you wind up needing help and I'll take care of it and reply letting you know what to do.

Interesting enough though, passwords aren't just for the forums anymore. Once you have your account set up it will enable you to submit guides and articles to our editors easily, which if they are approved to addition to the site will net you a reward!

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hopefully near the beginning of next week. To make it simple to explain, Stratics in the past has been a very fragmented network of sites. We've had uo.stratics.com uo2.stratics.com, swtor.stratics.com, wow.stratics.com, lotro.stratics.com, for example and of course Stratics.com. Each one of these was a completely basically a completely separate website which we linked back and for to along with our forums all of them shared. Some of them, mainly those other than UO Stratics content, were already rolled into Stratics.com, what we are doing is completing that evolution and including the Forum content as well.

What we're doing is using a more versatile CMS (Content Management System) setup and combining all those sites under just the Stratics.com domain. Forums and the non-forum stuff will all be one one site, you will be able to filter all of the guides and articles by Game, and then by special category (such as the hunters guide), and they will show alphabetically, much like an Encyclopedia ( which is what we are calling our Organization of content "Encylopedias"). Until everything is migrated in terms of non-forum content the old pages will be up, but no longer will they receive any updating. Once we do have everything migrated and archived the decision will be made as to when and if we will be taking them down. After around a week after the launch these forums will be put into a Read Only state, and remain up for and undetermined amount of time, but no new posts, or conversations will able to be created.

The site will be much more community oriented, and while we still plan to add guides, and articles, we're making an easy means for members of the community to contribute additional content and be rewarded on the site for doing so. Social interaction on the Internet has changed greatly since Bulletin Boards were created, and they have not kept pace. While we're still going to offer a traditional message board, there will be features somewhat more akin to Facebook which you can use or not use as you wish.
So near the beginning of next week both the forums and the non-forum content on Stratics and Stratics-related sites will be accessible in new formats on the Stratics.com domain? And most of what we posted here in the forums this week will be pretty much lost?

Also, is it correct that we won't be able to see anything of any sort, forums or otherwise, on Stratics without being logged in? And when will we be able to reset our passwords?

Status
Not open for further replies.