• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Money making payouts

• Thread starter imported_Shirl1211
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
I

imported_Shirl1211

I am really enjoying the challenges of TC3 and am looking forward to the merge which orignally I was dreading for the longest time, however, while making money typing, someone stated that the payouts on typing we're going to be lowered so that sims will use the other money making objects. If this is true it's very disappointing because even those payouts are low. At maxed skill you make $250 a story. Maybe it would be better to raise the payout on the other money making objects instead. It already feels like we're working ourselves out of the great depression.

M

MandiK

They are going to lower it very soon, Parizad said it at the Pub last night. Apparently people are making too much money doing it every day...

K

Keep It Real

Luc came to a moneyhouse in TC3 Monday and said too many people are typing
and that the payout is going to be reduced to maybe half of current rate. At the Pub yesterday Parizad stated that they have talked about making payouts available for only certain times of the day.
Ummmmm......ok?

I

imported_Shirl1211

Parizad said today that they are reducing the payout $25.00 per maxed skill. I guess Luc is working on it now.
Oh well, at least it gives us more of a challenge....I s'pose.

G

Certain times of the day? Should be interesting with different time zones around the world !

I like the idea of making payouts more diverse - sometimes typing pays out more, sometimes gnomes give the best payout, it would keep things interesting for sure.

Polly

I

imported_DutchAmerica

I think that there's a misunderstanding about money object on the devs side. Playing for as long as I have noticed trends in certain classifications of sims.

The object is tied to the skill.....Body for pinatas, cooking for jams, etc. We all know that.

Now the devs need to keep in mind what skills newbs first pursue and what skills kinda get left in the dust. Newbies tend to pursue #1 creativity and #2 cooking/charm.

Jams/Typing/telemarketing.....tend to be the objects of choice for newer sims because well...that's the skills they have. Most of us in TC3 are well....not even a year old yet and don't have advanced skills. So devs are going to see us staying mainly with these 3 objects for now. That's why typically these were priced lower in the catalog.

Body/logic/mech tend to be more 'advanced' sim skills that are generally left for a little older sims. Sims who have a few more locks they can shuffle around.

And by the time 'older' sims are ready to develop the more advanced skills, that 'older' sim may not necessarily need to do a lot of money objects because they are more estabished. So the chemistry sets, gnome tables, chalk boards and pinatas generally get left alone. Generally they are more expensive and if you are skilled in that area will bring a lot more money.

But since we don't have very many with those areas maxxed that are actually doing those objects in houses, those objects will never have the fan base as the newb objects have.

For me...I would rather choose a typewriter because for the last 2 years I've seen nothing but paints and jams. When choosing what my sim should use
I wonder if this makes any sense to the developers?

I

imported_Shirl1211

It makes alot of sense! The stradegy is to figure out what skill is going to best suit your sim. I like to do pizza for instance so therefore I need either cooking, charisma or body but with limited skill locks I can only really work on one in order to get the best payout. BTW...I too am so tired of painting and making jams...lol but its all still new and i'm sure we will succeed if we work at it!

I

imported_Gracie Nito

Why do newbs pursue creativity? Because everyone tells them they need to learn to serenade. Personally, I think serenades are overrated and I have managed to live without it fine in TC3. If the band object were more popular I can see a good reason for all that creativity. Otherwise it is a waste of skill locks in my opinion.

Why do newbs pursue cooking and charm? Because it leads to life as a server in a diner or a career making pizzas.

There are many sims actively pursuing the robot job tracks now. Why shouldn't they be allowed to use their logic and mech skills to make money just the same.

Why aren't pinatas popular? Body skills are required for pizza, code, band and one of the nightclub job tracks.

Perhaps many of the old players are too set in their ways and are teaching new players to be just like them.

Why should my life and the lives of other new commers be dictated by all the serenaders of the world?

G

During beta hardly anyone was skilling creativity, the interactions were nice to have, but you couldn't make any money from it. Back then it was all about skilling for code or pizza. Gnomes, potion tables and pinata places were also very popular. Even when Dragon's Cove opened creativity was not popular as a skill or a money maker - it was cooking, jams and pizza.

I was very surprised to see how popular typing and creativity were when TC3 opened. It just goes to show how much gameplay has evolved and changed over the years, roomies seemed to think they had to get serenade before they could host in a mech house (how bizarre is that?).

Pinatas pay as much as typing (or did) but nobody opened a pinata place in TC3.
I suspect with the number of people working the factory, a gnomehouse would do well in TC3 and it would make a very pleasant change to see a variety of money houses open for a change.

Polly

K

Keep It Real

Can anyone post the current pay rates per money object and skill level? I know typing pays 250 simoleans per story with maxed creativity and a house full of people typing. As for the other money objects I don't know.

G

<blockquote><hr>

I think that there's a misunderstanding about money object on the devs side. Playing for as long as I have noticed trends in certain classifications of sims.

The object is tied to the skill.....Body for pinatas, cooking for jams, etc. We all know that.

Now the devs need to keep in mind what skills newbs first pursue and what skills kinda get left in the dust. Newbies tend to pursue #1 creativity and #2 cooking/charm.

Jams/Typing/telemarketing.....tend to be the objects of choice for newer sims because well...that's the skills they have. Most of us in TC3 are well....not even a year old yet and don't have advanced skills. So devs are going to see us staying mainly with these 3 objects for now. That's why typically these were priced lower in the catalog.

Body/logic/mech tend to be more 'advanced' sim skills that are generally left for a little older sims. Sims who have a few more locks they can shuffle around.

And by the time 'older' sims are ready to develop the more advanced skills, that 'older' sim may not necessarily need to do a lot of money objects because they are more estabished. So the chemistry sets, gnome tables, chalk boards and pinatas generally get left alone. Generally they are more expensive and if you are skilled in that area will bring a lot more money.

But since we don't have very many with those areas maxxed that are actually doing those objects in houses, those objects will never have the fan base as the newb objects have.

For me...I would rather choose a typewriter because for the last 2 years I've seen nothing but paints and jams. When choosing what my sim should use
I wonder if this makes any sense to the developers?

[/ QUOTE ]
This bothers me greatly.
It sounds to me as if the Devs are deciding what we should do as far as making money.
They think that too many are working typewriters?
So..... I have to pound away at another mind-numbing skill so I can make some decent money at another object? Then what? They decide too many are working that one? (I don't use typewriters BTW)
What happened to making our own decisions in the game?
Suppose they decide that too many people are using moroccan chairs? Wearing too many clown shoes?
I neither need nor want EA employees telling me that I have to play according to their personal standards.
Now, they're talking of allowing payouts at only certain times of the day???

How do they expect us to pay for all the rares they intend to sell at their company store?

I said it before, and this just adds a little more confirmation - EALand is becoming nothing more than a big money grab.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Parizad said today that they are reducing the payout $25.00 per maxed skill. I guess Luc is working on it now.

[/ QUOTE ]

No. I said we were reducing payouts. Someone else (jokingly, I think) said it was by 25.

The payouts have been lowered.

K

Keep It Real

I keep checking my email to see if Luc sends us each a script he would like us to follow.

K

Keep It Real

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

No. I said we were reducing payouts. Someone else (jokingly, I think) said it was by 25.

[/ QUOTE ]

Would it be out of line to ask our Assistant Community Manager to share the new payout information with the players?

G

What is STUPID of the Dev's is they don't realize sims will go to the job that pays the most. So what even job pays the best now sims Will skill toward that job.

Why spend hours at a job/skill that earns you garbage money it makes no sense, of course everyone is doing typewriters it paid good, BUT still crappier then what it SHOULD or USED to pay..

This game is having more and more limits placed on it and soon my accounts will be canceled too like many others. The Dev's are just KILLING this game week be week!

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Would it be out of line to ask our Assistant Community Manager to share the new payout information with the players?

[/ QUOTE ]
One thing about Pari - She is all 'happy happy, joy joy' when the news is good. But when it's bad, she is blunt and succinct.
"The payouts have been lowered." sounds ominous to me.
My guess is they have been lowered by more than 25$.

G

<blockquote><hr>

One thing about Pari - She is all 'happy happy, joy joy' when the news is good. But when it's bad, she is blunt and succinct.

[/ QUOTE ]

You make me giggle.

We lowered it to 1/2 of what it was paying before.

G

<blockquote><hr>

From Luc's blog dated 12/15/07

A new game at different hours of the day:

Last week we added a new feature that enables us to change the tuning of the game in real time while the city is running. This means that we can change the cost, payout, skilling of all objects at will. For example the chemistry set is not very used at the moment, I guess we should fix that. We can have a pizza party, free food, super skilling moments at different hours of the day. I would like to get your ideas on how to use this feature, but the goal is to make sure that the game becomes different and surprising.

Another aspect of that change, is that we can update the price of objects as often as we want. The goal of this is to increase the catalog price of objects in the world as the quantity of objects increases in the world. For example, catalog chairs would become more and more expensive as you add more and more chairs through custom content. This will enable stores and custom content providers to make money while preventing the world from being overtaken by chairs.

Another application of this is to throw a wrench in the day of the bots. If you have specific ideas, please list them on the wiki under ‘the war against bots’.<blockquote><hr>

In EA Land many of us will be bringing old sims with lots of locks. Founders will have 120 locks in a few short months. It wont matter to my old sims a bit if have to change what money object I use at different times of the day. Younger sims will have to take a whole new strategy into consideration. These are good things if you ask me. I'll be making money on the old sims and switching to the younger ones for super skilling moments. No matter how you slice it its a major change for them to be able to change these things live. It should be fun to watch it play out.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

You make me giggle.

[/ QUOTE ]
Geez, why don't you guys just get it over with and stop payouts altogether, instead of killing us one piece at a time.

K

Keep It Real

Geez, why don't you guys just get it over with and stop payouts altogether, instead of killing us one piece at a time.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think thats comes AFTER the ATM's are operational.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

You make me giggle.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think dropping group payouts on single items altogether would be a fantastic idea tbh, the items you should be making money on are the multi player items. Code, pizza and band are sadly neglected these days and let me also point out that I was against payouts when the devs made the sad mistake of bring them back in the first place.

D

dinaj

well that just SUCKS, after spending 60k to convert my lot from entertainment to a skill house how am I supposed to make my money back? what are the incentives for opening a service lot? The 500 weekly allowance? There arent any lot bonus's anymore so how are we supposed to stay afloat?

At least with the 250 payout I was able to earn enough money to keep feeding guests. We all know sims EXPECT free food.

As far as having payouts at only cetain times of the day, what is the sim that can't log in at that appointed time supposed to do????

I seriously think this economy business is being taken too far, Please remember its a GAME and we log in to have fun not continue the daily grind of real life!

Sunny Delight
TC3

I

imported_Gracie Nito

TTL

Money objects should be tuned in line with the population of workers. If the world has a shortage of logic skilled sims than the logic money objects should pay the most. If the world has an overabundance of creative skilled sims than creative money objects should pay least. As the population shifts from skill to skill so should the money objects shift. The world we live in should be more fluid and not static as it has been in the past.

I would like to see adjustments made on payouts more often. Even done daily with daily maintenance using the data from the previous day to determine where workers are needed.

G

<blockquote><hr>

In EA Land many of us will be bringing old sims with lots of locks. Founders will have 120 locks in a few short months. It wont matter to my old sims a bit if have to change what money object I use at different times of the day. Younger sims will have to take a whole new strategy into consideration. These are good things if you ask me. I'll be making money on the old sims and switching to the younger ones for super skilling moments. No matter how you slice it its a major change for them to be able to change these things live. It should be fun to watch it play out.

[/ QUOTE ]
Speak for yourself - this kind of artificial 'economy' has very limited benefit.
It's not as if there is an algorithm working to automatically adjust prices and payouts according to supply and demand - this is the Devs applying their own personal conclusions to the parameters of the game whenever they feel like it, and we are forced to dance to their tune.
I am reminded of D&amp;D type games where the DMs make manual changes to an adventure in order to punish, reward, or otherwise change the parameters of the adventure. Except in those games, only the characters in a particular party are affected, not everyone in the game.
While there are definite benefits to being able to make adjustments on the fly (so to speak), they should be limited to bug/error detection and repair - not social 'adjustments'.

G

<blockquote><hr>

I think dropping group payouts on single items altogether would be a fantastic idea tbh, the items you should be making money on are the multi player items. Code, pizza and band are sadly neglected these days and let me also point out that I was against payouts when the devs made the sad mistake of bring them back in the first place.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think returning the group payouts was the best thing they've done in a long time here. I don't see why they think cutting typing in half is going to help. All it will do is make sims choose a different object (whichever pays best) to do. When will they realize the only real reason we are using these objects at all is because we want to earn money, it's really very simple. No matter which pays highest, that is the one we will choose to do. Typing paid highest, more sims have creative than any other skill, so yes, more were typing. Take that away and we'll adapt and go to next best paying object. I would prefer it be bashing pinatas, because, well, I need to hit something...

As for group objects, we aren't all into doing them, not even when they pay better than single ones.

I

imported_DutchAmerica

Actually, I was kind of thinking that maybe the devs might want to consider more ways of aquiring locks.

That way players could start working on more advanced skills sooner and therefore move on the higher money making objects like gnome tables and chalk boards?

Players could become more proactive. Players in different jobs could get together and form 'skill/money object' groups.

Dancers need body. Why not dancers form a club to max out body and work pinatas? etc.

I think that players that are involved in clubs and different interest groups may be more interested in staying around in the game longer and have less periods of boredom as well.

I

imported_Gracie Nito

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]
Speak for yourself - this kind of artificial 'economy' has very limited benefit.
It's not as if there is an algorithm working to automatically adjust prices and payouts according to supply and demand - this is the Devs applying their own personal conclusions to the parameters of the game whenever they feel like it, and we are forced to dance to their tune.
I am reminded of D&amp;D type games where the DMs make manual changes to an adventure in order to punish, reward, or otherwise change the parameters of the adventure. Except in those games, only the characters in a particular party are affected, not everyone in the game.
While there are definite benefits to being able to make adjustments on the fly (so to speak), they should be limited to bug/error detection and repair - not social 'adjustments'.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to agree Donovan. I don't like the devs making decisions on a whim. However, that is exactly how our social money making has worked for the past 5 years. We were stuck with whatever object was tuned by the devs to pay the best. I would like to see an algorithm working that would tune the objects daily according to the way society evolves.

G

<blockquote><hr>

I think dropping group payouts on single items altogether would be a fantastic idea tbh, the items you should be making money on are the multi player items.

[/ QUOTE ]
Oh, really??? Those are the objects I "should" be using????
What else "should" I be doing??? I am currently skilling Charisma - does that meet with your approval?? Or "should" I be skilling something else???
Lord knows, I don't want to play the game the 'wrong' way.

Maybe, just maybe, I think they "should" do away with the multi-player objects, after all, these are the ones used by the botters. Getting rid of them would throw a huge monkey wrench into their works, eh???
Hey! Another idea! Let's do away with the skill "bonus" when skilling with multiple sims. Who needs 118% anyway???? Why should anybody else benefit from *my* skilling efforts???
But hey, I ramble. Why don't you save us all a lot of trouble, and just post your list of the proper things we "should" do in game so that we get it right???

...and then roll the list into a big wad and..... file it.

You know where.

G

I'm all for the devs giving us more ways to aquire locks, but we have to be careful what we wish for on this topic. A few months ago when it came up in a dev chat Luc said something like oh yes founders will have max skills soon, guess its time to raise skills again. Personally I wouldnt care if skills went up, I even made a wiki plan to that effect, but I know its not a prospect many are thrilled with. I do think its great that the devs can now adjust skill speed at will, super skilling times sound great to me!

I

imported_Gracie Nito

In TC3 it is possible to skill up 6 separate sims all specializing in a differebnt skill. Once you have accomplished that then any payout adjustments will have little affect on you except which sim you choose to play that day.

In EaLand we will have 4 sims available once everyone has merged and created and 4 more when betaville is merged. With a total of 8 sims all with different specialties this won't be that big a deal.

I

imported_sedusa

I realize that TC3 is a test city and that we should expect all kinds of things. But, I'm not grasping that since Luc seen a lot of sims typing that for some reason a lot of sims typing is a bad thing. We have no true direction that we should be taking in this city, so as sims we take the direction that gives us the most benefit in game. Diversity is cool I get tired of doing the same old thing myself, but it is my choice if I choose to do so isn't it?

Speaking for myself.....if there is a direction that EA wants me to take as tester then please guide me to do so, otherwise let me do what I wish. There was a time when all sims did for money was to go to money houses that were giving payouts, but thats very limited in TC3, as a whole, so sims tend to do what most others are doing to gain funds that is the same in the real world, you go where the money is.

I have created CC as that is something new that, IMO, they wanted us to test out. I have worked to the top of a sim job as they took down the ability to make to much funds on job objects, multiple or single type. If they dont want us making tons of money on one money object, or at a certain sim job, then what do they want us making funds with? The city is to new for most to get decent funds at every sim money object,and or every sim job (which is technically impossible as you can have only one job type at a time) and have the sim skills to do so and survive on payout from same. So what do they want us to do to gain in game funds to survive, shop, build,etc? Tell us/me what will give me/us these things and I will try it, but know that my goal in game is not to be a poor sim or one who has every single skill maxed out just to survive.

And, so what if sims feel or are told that to be able to serenade is a good thing what's wrong with that? I say, like it or not being able to serenade is a plus, whether it is singing to help guests, or just to make friends. I tell people, who ask me, what should a newbie do, that they should skill for whatever direction they plan to go in the long run. If a skill house is what they want then yes, I do advise them to learn to sing and cook. If a money house then if its one type of payout object they wish to have I say learn the skilll needed to do that, but I also advise them to learn some cooking and some creativity, etc etc. The thing is to do what you want to do to get what you hope to gain. And if a sim in a house who is skilling or in a house that is money or what ever and they need social they can get it others way then just having someone sing to them, but in the same token I dont see the harm in hosts singing to sims who ask for it. It is all a choice, hosts dont have to sing, they dont have to cook, and for that matter they dont even have to be nice to their guests, but if they want guests on a regular basis then these are things that keep the guests coming back. I have come not to expect anything from a host of any type of lot as they dont have to do anything for me that they choose not to do, but at the same time if they do something for me I do my best to say thanks most of the time, in some way shape or fashion. I will also not remain as long on a lot where I dont have access to food, buffet or cooked, and if there is no way to gain fun or energy, but that is my choice. And, for me, a good host will state that they dont sing for you social needs and what options are available at their lot for sim needs, otherwise I may leave to gain the things my sim needs to survive what other choice would I have?

G

<blockquote><hr>

In TC3 it is possible to skill up 6 separate sims all specializing in a differebnt skill. Once you have accomplished that then any payout adjustments will have little affect on you except which sim you choose to play that day.

In EaLand we will have 4 sims available once everyone has merged and created and 4 more when betaville is merged. With a total of 8 sims all with different specialties this won't be that big a deal.

[/ QUOTE ]
I rarely play more than 2 of the sims on an account - I can't even imagine working all 6 or 8 sims to a maxed skill.

K

Keep It Real

New payouts per Lee at the Pub

Typing reduced 50%
Pinatas increased 25%
Potions increased 50%

G

ttl

This sounds like the dynamic payouts, that they have been building all those back-end measuring programs for...so they could adjust any segment of the economy that starts to go out of whack. That has always been the plan, and I really do not get the outrage, now that they are making use of the information they have gathered, in the manner that they said they would.

If too much money is being created on typewriters, then reducing the payout is the only course of action, consistant with their money in~money out economic plan. If everyone swarms like bees, over to another money object and that starts creating too much money, then that one will be reduced, also. That was the plan all along.

I

imported_sedusa

<blockquote><hr>

ttl

This sounds like the dynamic payouts, that they have been building all those back-end measuring programs for...so they could adjust any segment of the economy that starts to go out of whack. That has always been the plan, and I really do not get the outrage, now that they are making use of the information they have gathered, in the manner that they said they would.

If too much money is being created on typewriters, then reducing the payout is the only course of action, consistant with their money in~money out economic plan. If everyone swarms like bees, over to another money object and that starts creating too much money, then that one will be reduced, also. That was the plan all along.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then I think we should be expecting to hop a lot from one paying thing to another, and though I basically understand it, I dont like it. I have seen the economy in production cities get out of control,and some control was needed, I give you that. I cant keep all my skills up enough to be able to make any decent funds on any paying object all the time as you never know when it will be changed. I dont like having to hop around at any given time to another skill just so I can make money at the pay object of the week or sim job for that matter. I feel like my choices are getting more and more limited, and or controlled. I feel like I have no real choices of my own to make, and that bothers me. Please understand I have great respect for the devs, etc that are trying to improve things, but dont expect me to like everything that happens. I welcome someone telling me something to help me feel better about this.

G

<blockquote><hr>

I realize that TC3 is a test city and that we should expect all kinds of things. But, I'm not grasping that since Luc seen a lot of sims typing that for some reason a lot of sims typing is a bad thing. We have no true direction that we should be taking in this city, so as sims we take the direction that gives us the most benefit in game. Diversity is cool I get tired of doing the same old thing myself, but it is my choice if I choose to do so isn't it?

Speaking for myself.....if there is a direction that EA wants me to take as tester then please guide me to do so, otherwise let me do what I wish. There was a time when all sims did for money was to go to money houses that were giving payouts, but thats very limited in TC3, as a whole, so sims tend to do what most others are doing to gain funds that is the same in the real world, you go where the money is.

I have created CC as that is something new that, IMO, they wanted us to test out. I have worked to the top of a sim job as they took down the ability to make to much funds on job objects, multiple or single type. If they dont want us making tons of money on one money object, or at a certain sim job, then what do they want us making funds with? The city is to new for most to get decent funds at every sim money object,and or every sim job (which is technically impossible as you can have only one job type at a time) and have the sim skills to do so and survive on payout from same. So what do they want us to do to gain in game funds to survive, shop, build,etc? Tell us/me what will give me/us these things and I will try it, but know that my goal in game is not to be a poor sim or one who has every single skill maxed out just to survive.

And, so what if sims feel or are told that to be able to serenade is a good thing what's wrong with that? I say, like it or not being able to serenade is a plus, whether it is singing to help guests, or just to make friends. I tell people, who ask me, what should a newbie do, that they should skill for whatever direction they plan to go in the long run. If a skill house is what they want then yes, I do advise them to learn to sing and cook. If a money house then if its one type of payout object they wish to have I say learn the skilll needed to do that, but I also advise them to learn some cooking and some creativity, etc etc. The thing is to do what you want to do to get what you hope to gain. And if a sim in a house who is skilling or in a house that is money or what ever and they need social they can get it others way then just having someone sing to them, but in the same token I dont see the harm in hosts singing to sims who ask for it. It is all a choice, hosts dont have to sing, they dont have to cook, and for that matter they dont even have to be nice to their guests, but if they want guests on a regular basis then these are things that keep the guests coming back. I have come not to expect anything from a host of any type of lot as they dont have to do anything for me that they choose not to do, but at the same time if they do something for me I do my best to say thanks most of the time, in some way shape or fashion. I will also not remain as long on a lot where I dont have access to food, buffet or cooked, and if there is no way to gain fun or energy, but that is my choice. And, for me, a good host will state that they dont sing for you social needs and what options are available at their lot for sim needs, otherwise I may leave to gain the things my sim needs to survive what other choice would I have?

[/ QUOTE ]
You raise some very important points.
There are some things that we all need to understand. First of all:
This is a business first, and a game second - the job of the devs is to make the game interesting enough for enough people to want to pay to play - to create a compelling (or even reasonable) profit for EA. Without the profit there is no incentive for EA to continue hosting. So.... the game is promoted with various "improvements", including "cash-in, cash-out"
The loyalties of the devs are probably more toward the "game" aspect (since many are 'original' developers) while the loyalties of EA are solidly on the side of "business".
This does NOT mean the devs intentions are totally altruistic - no, as much as they work for the "game", they are under the control of the "business" people and must do as they are told (just as the rest of us). And if they are told to emphasize the business aspect of the "game" - that is what they will do.

This brings us to "balance";
The devs must attempt to balance the "game" and "business" so that one does not dominate and cause the loss of the other.
So, they look for a good "balance point".
Ideally, this would be where a player makes exactly enough from game objects to satisfy his/her needs.
But this is not practical from either a "game" OR "business" aspect.
A balance point must be found that allows players to earn enough money to take care of expenses, with a little left over to gradually improve their life, but not so much that they have a large "excess" that can be converted (cash-out) to RL cash (and cut into profits). Also, if the "excess" is small, the player tends to spend it on game items (furniture, clothes, accessories, etc), rather than saving it for conversion.
In addition, if the excess is small, the player may become impatient to acquire a certain something in the game and opt to buy simoleons from EA for RL money (cash-in).

This is what the devs are doing now - searching for that balance point by tweaking payouts.
The problem is NOT that they are trying to find that point, but 'how'.
We are in a virtual "beta test" of EALand. If they push too hard, it may cause key players to move on and potentially have a severe and negative impact on the eventual opening (people talk on forums, ya know).
Cutting payouts to the bone, thus 'over-balancing' in favor of "business" could easily be a major factor (tho not the only one) in making up one's mind to stay or go.
They need to make the adjustments without seeming to pick our pockets or scripting our play.

I

imported_Gracie Nito

I can't see that anything has been changed much. What are they changing just the group dynamic payouts?

I just tested...

Pinata with 10.96 body skills = $39
Chalkboard with 10.96 skills = $31
Paint with 10.46 skills =$31
Typewriter with 10.46 skills = $37
Jams with 10.13 skills = $33

Telemarketing with 8.99 skills =$31
Paint with 8.99 skills = $28
Typewriter with 8.99 skills= $35

I did notice selling story with typewriter it displayed $17 but it actually paid $35.

I think all they did was change the amount of money displayed not the actual payouts. LOL.

C

caroleatdesigns

<blockquote><hr>

Why do newbs pursue creativity? Because everyone tells them they need to learn to serenade. Personally, I think serenades are overrated and I have managed to live without it fine in TC3.

[/ QUOTE ]

I Agree! What's wrong with the way we used to play - sleep=comfort and energy,playing pool=social and fun ? I don't/can't sing and I urge newbies to <font color="red"> take a nap, play some pool with another Sim </font>. Sims that want serenades are just not interested in being Sims. It's too bad that Sims who prefer to sit constantly or stand while "charm-ing" don't get big backsides or stiff leg-ed walks.

<blockquote><hr>

There are many sims actively pursuing the robot job tracks now. Why shouldn't they be allowed to use their logic and mech skills to make money just the same.

[/ QUOTE ]

They should! I actually had a Sim come over just to Maze! Gotta love that!

<blockquote><hr>

Perhaps many of the old players are too set in their ways and are teaching new players to be just like them.

Why should my life and the lives of other new commers be dictated by all the serenaders of the world?

[/ QUOTE ]

The OLD players never serenaded. This is a newbie, newer than 3 years, I would guess, habit. As I said earlier, we old Sims believe in sleep, a good game of pool, dancing, etc. We even figured out a routine that was best for maxing our "needs". We didn't even have something called " <font color="red">hiding </font>".

Keep the old Simmy ways, restore the old Simmy ways, stop singing to us.

Best,

Carole Anne &amp; Co.

K

Keep It Real

No, the payouts HAVE changed. 125 for typing with max skill is what one of my sims got, not the usual 250.

I

imported_Gracie Nito

Maybe they only changed the payout for those with 20.99 skill points. lol

G

<blockquote><hr>

ttl

[/ QUOTE ]
The problem (IMO) is that this is not accomplished thru a dynamic, 'economic' measurement (mathematical formula) within the game code, but is arbitrarily decided, and manually implemented, by the devs (or maybe just one).
As far as reducing the payout on one object - players will just gravitate to the next highest. This 'reduction/gravitation' will continue until players skills are maxed to the point that the reduction has no effect. Nothing positive will be accomplished, but players will have been greatly inconvenienced by having to skill and re-skill with every change. Eventually, the devs will have to come up with something else to keep the illusion of balance. In the meantime, the game will undoubtedly lose players to this scheme.
And, once again.... a closed loop economy is not an economy.

I

imported_Gracie Nito

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

ttl

[/ QUOTE ]
The problem (IMO) is that this is not accomplished thru a dynamic, 'economic' measurement (mathematical formula) within the game code, but is arbitrarily decided, and manually implemented, by the devs (or maybe just one).
As far as reducing the payout on one object - players will just gravitate to the next highest. This 'reduction/gravitation' will continue until players skills are maxed to the point that the reduction has no effect. Nothing positive will be accomplished, but players will have been greatly inconvenienced by having to skill and re-skill with every change. Eventually, the devs will have to come up with something else to keep the illusion of balance. In the meantime, the game will undoubtedly lose players to this scheme.

[/ QUOTE ]

Instead of the inconvenience of skill re-skill. You could choose to use your sim slots wisely and skill each in a different specialty. As I mentioned before we currently have 6 sims available in TC3 and the potential to have 8 sims in EALand.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

ttl

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Instead of the inconvenience of skill re-skill. You could choose to use your sim slots wisely and skill each in a different specialty. As I mentioned before we currently have 6 sims available in TC3 and the potential to have 8 sims in EALand.

[/ QUOTE ]
As I mentioned before - I have no desire to dilute my time in that manner.
Think about it - that's no so much about "gameplay suggestions" as it is about "workarounds" to a game problem

I

imported_sedusa

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]
You are right you could chosse to do that. But each individual sim will still have the same problem.
One sim has many friends, the other sim has a few,one sim has money,the other sim dont have much...etc etc. But the fact still remains each sim will be low on one thing or another. I myself dont want to have to jump from one sim to another at any given point just so they can do what is the "thing" of the moment/week/day what ever. It takes times, and plenty of it to establish friendships so you can interact, and skill so you can craft, skill so you can earn,and the list goes on.
I am still playing the wait and see game, and I do have hope it will all work out in the end.

I

imported_Shirl1211

I prefer creativity for a few reasons and i'm not a newb. Serenade has many advantages and not just for making money. It builds energy and social when provided by host/hostess's "or anybody" and I feel is a nice feature to offer guest , not to mention making friends in the process. Also, it makes teaching a whole lot easier again because it builds energy. And last but not least, with creativity you have a couple of different options to make money, painting and typing.