• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Items need to break!!

G

In todays AOS style of game, Insurance is a requirement AOS made this game item dependent and the only way to fix it is either set every shard up with insurance or revert the item properties to pre aos. Insurance is/was a good idea its one of the constant gold sinks this game has. Im sure 10's of millions of gp are removed from the servers each day just in pvp alone. What buggerd up Siege is that they updated it with AOS items but never put the check into place. But the down side is that every item can be repaired and basicly kept in game forever.

I feel every item needs to break sometime and get replaced. back pre aos items broke all the time. there was always a demand for weaps and armors not to simply upgrade and throw the old piece on a vendor or box like it is now. And with POF items unless coded otherwise are basicly indestructible.

I think POF should only be use on a item to bring its max durability(the figures to the right) to the max of 255 once once it hits its cap or has totaled 255 points from pof those numbers turn red. turning red will show a buyer that the item had hit its max durability and use of basic math would show how used it is.

to prevent scams or exploits Items would have to spawn with a set durability so a person can know if the item is new or not. maby even useing the color green to show that a pof has been used on the weapon/armor but has not reached its cap 50/<font color="green">50</font>. as soon as the right side reaches 255 in points even points lost it would turn red so it could be possible to use pof on an item to its max but only be at 150 also the item should have a tag under the durability.
Full repair: Would show a buyer what their cap should be vs what is on the right side if your buying a kryss and the it looked like this:

255/<font color="red"> 225</font>
Full repair

125/<font color="green">125</font>
full repair

you would know the weapon has been used or not.

That max durability would go down one point if the item losses 255 points on the left side (or the avail cap at the time) while at 0 it would do like it does now and take points from the right side figures. to prevent that the item must be repaired and the repair would cost 1 durability point. When an item is repaired it would go back to its normal cap like you would see 255/ <font color="red"> 145 </font> . once you get to 0/<font color="red">0</font> the item will break.

Items need to break to keep balance with all the items being put into game even more so with the runic changes.

M

midiguru

Ummmmmm. NO. Move along please this topic's been beat to death and this isn't going to happen. Be happy with the new arti's that you can't POF. That should be enough. If you want "your" items to break just don't repair them and you can keep wasting your UO time always buying new pieces of armor while the rest of us "play" the game. GL with that.....

C

Connor_Graham

Until we can control the properties and resists, and be able to replace an item with the exact same one, item breakage isn't an option. Losing a single piece of armor in a suit would result in having to completely rebuild the suit if you couldn't replace the lost piece with one exactly like it. Item properties and resists are too random, and even the weapons with the mods desired for whatever template you play, are too random to replace.

For example, it took 150 runic hammers to come up with one Ornate Axe that had the 3 properties I was looking for on it. I've burned well over 200 more runics trying to make a radiant scimitar with the same properties.

At this point in time, item breakage is a bad idea.

I

imported_Spiritless

In a game so centric around items, you cannot have item breakage. End of.

G

Then all items should be soulbound if they do not break. People cried to make this game too easy now with the runic changes.

something has to be done to balance things you cannot flood the server with items w/o items leaving the server. Forget your greed and your ability to kill a balron in to hits and look at the bigger picture..

M

midiguru

And what would be the point of that? To annoy the hell out of everyone and make the item trading / selling aspect of the game obsolete. Dude your just spewing jibberish now. Give it up.

I

imported_lord richard

If I'm not mistaken the insurance in PvP goes to the victor, so it stays in the economy. Items shouldn't be something we need to be worried about breaking. After all this game is no where near based on reality anyway. Please let the item breaking just die a rapid and quiet death. I miss the days sitting at the Britian forge repairing armor/weps tho.

G

If you pvped you would know the the victor only recieves 1/2 of the insurance money the rest goes poof.

I

imported_Lord Kynd

<blockquote><hr>

Ummmmmm. NO.

Be happy with the new arti's that you can't POF. That should be enough.

If you want "your" items to break just don't repair them and you can keep wasting your UO time always buying new pieces of armor while the rest of us "play" the game. GL with that.....

[/ QUOTE ]

say's it all.

Lord Kotan

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

Ummmmmm. NO. Move along please this topic's been beat to death and this isn't going to happen. Be happy with the new arti's that you can't POF. That should be enough. If you want "your" items to break just don't repair them and you can keep wasting your UO time always buying new pieces of armor while the rest of us "play" the game. GL with that.....

[/ QUOTE ]

Ty..

I've used 30ish barb kits making my suit (bad luck?), and I am still looking for a ring. And this suit still isn't perfect resist/mods/stats.

K

Karthcove

I am not sure why the durability points are listed at all, I see people all the time walking around with a 0/225 point item which hasn't been repaired - I thought when something hit 0 it should break.

I agree with the premise - Items should break (even blessed items) if not taken care of/repaired when required.

I am amazed at the responses saying otherwise... With those lines of thinking and the "why isn't everything balanced" cries we might as well have every house with the same storage, every char with the same max stats, every player with the same skills maxes, every player with every resource - pure communism, dang, I guess you really are reds.

I

imported_Sarphus

Item breaking worked in old UO because of how the old item system worked (player crafted GM armor was the standard gear back then).

In order for item breakage to work in current UO, we would need a system where players can craft artifacts fairly easily.

D

Der Rock

-----------------
Items need to break
----------------------------

let me think about this.....................
hmmmm hmmmmmm, moment.......
i heard this bevore...... hmmmmmm
ahhh yes,

9000 000 player in WoW want the same, or not, i am not sure..... hmmmmm

G

I have to agree with the OP.
Everything should break. Everything also should be easier for adventurers hunting and/or crafters crafting to get so that an item breaking doesn't stop the game for that person.

G

In general I agree however with PoF, repair deeds I would suggest this:

1. Powder of Fortification may only be used on the item 10 times ... one full bottle. So that nicely modded gadget with 100 max duability can only have a max of 200.

2. Deeds can only be used 2x per 50 max durability. Using the above, that gadget could be deeded 8 times.

3. When PoF and deed usage is no longer allowed, a real crafter needs to repair it, with the possibility of breakage even then. This repair process - if successful - will restore the item to full potential. This can only be done 3 times.

When all of this fails ... the item will degrade and eventually break. You need to replace it.

G

The main issue is not the item it's being able to give that very powerful item to ANY player in our base. These Artifact items need to BIND to the player.. Don't allow a player to get into doom and give sell trade the item..

G

<blockquote><hr>

9000 000 player in WoW want the same, or not, i am not sure..... hmmmmm

[/ QUOTE ]

First this is UO not WoW.

Second in WoW every item green,blue,purple that can be equiped is either bound when picked up or put on. If you change your gloves you cannot sell them off to players only thing to do is drop them/delete sell to npc or disenchant them. So basicly items are leaving the game as fast as they come in. So i guess 9,000,000 players did ask for this :p

You cant cap the end of a drain fill it with water and expect your sink to run right?

G

God I hate the idea of items breaking, I can remember long ago, when you had no clue of the Durability of an item and here you be fighting in a deep dark dungeon and the the weapon "Breaks". If you were not reading all that was going on around you you would have missed that little remark as its appears on the screen and then you see yourself getting hit for more and more damage and cannot think of how or why that is happen till you pull up your paperdoll and see no weapon. Then its a mad dash to get away and go home to search for anther decent weapon to fight with.

Today I am so glad to see PoF and repairs deeds as it allows my charactor to care for his/her weapon and continue the battles to kill evil.

G

At least with my method items would last a very long time if kept in repair and if you payed attention to your items and they got low on durability you can start looking for a replacement so when it breaks you are set up. Remember I suggested when repaired the figures on the left side would go up to total cap if pof was used up to 255.

so basicly you could have up to 255x255= 65025 hits if kept in good repair.

Items are alot like gold you cant have them come into game without a way for it to be removed its bad for the economy.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Losing a single piece of armor in a suit would result in having to completely rebuild the suit if you couldn't replace the lost piece with one exactly like it....

[/ QUOTE ]

So?

I believe that's his point. Get over your pixels and play the game. If you have to replace the whole suit...so be it...replace it...la

G

Ahhh, but long ago, one could find a person who had Arms Lore and could tell you if it needed repairing. If one did not avail themselves of the community in order to determine that, then is the smith who can lore to blame?

Part of community loss is just that type of interdependence on others to assist you in keeping your gear in order ... not impersonal PoF and deeds. Not 100%.

I still think any item that has durability should eventually break or at least be unrepairable. If it serve ye well in battle enshrine it in your house and spin tales about the grand times you had using it.

G

That reminds me of the old rare item no longer used. Id wands. I saw 3 or 4 of those laying on the ground near the bank the other day. Seems like lots of people are doing spring cleaning...la

G

<blockquote><hr>

Items need to break!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Some day, when crafters are capable of tailoring item properties to easily create EXACT DUPLICATES of artifacts and high-end loot, so that items can be replaced as easily as they were pre-AOS, then perhaps items should break. Until then, NO.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

Items need to break!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Some day, when crafters are capable of tailoring item properties to easily create EXACT DUPLICATES of artifacts and high-end loot, so that items can be replaced as easily as they were pre-AOS, then perhaps items should break. Until then, NO.

[/ QUOTE ]

Being able to set properties could be the worst thing you can do to the game. and you people wonder why people want a "classic" shard.

I

imported_BlacK RaiN

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

Items need to break!!

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Being able to set properties could be the worst thing you can do to the game. and you people wonder why people want a "classic" shard.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? Cause people will finally be able to run the templates they want consistantly without having to spend years and years going through endless item grinding just to find the perfect piece?

You mean because people will finally be able to once again fill the role of crafters and monster hunters because the items they obtain aren't useless 99% of the time?

I think it would be cool if monsters dropped loot with an "item property number" that once "enhanced" by a crafter with GM item id... can customize the properties obtained by it.

Give us the ability to readily have what we need to enjoy combat in this game at the same time granting us the ability to constantly lose those items via removing item insurance.

Its high time this game and economy returned to its roots... when things actually worked and/or made sense.

C

Connor_Graham

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

Losing a single piece of armor in a suit would result in having to completely rebuild the suit if you couldn't replace the lost piece with one exactly like it....

[/ QUOTE ]

So?

I believe that's his point. Get over your pixels and play the game. If you have to replace the whole suit...so be it...replace it...la

[/ QUOTE ]

So I take another 3 years to find all the pieces with all the mods that I'm looking for with the resists also?

No thanks. The system isn't broken, and doesn't require fixing.

D

Der Rock

----------------
First this is UO not WoW.
---------------------------

hmm, no new fact for me.

the statement goes more this way, that ALL people in different games realy dont like to restuff multiple times,most people maybe love there suits they have.

instead of breaking items, uo items should never break, they should be useless at 0 dura(like in wow), and the repairing should be expensive, and only possible with special resourcec, not only with this scripted in mass PoF
that would help the economy.

I

imported_BlacK RaiN

<blockquote><hr>

So I take another 3 years to find all the pieces with all the mods that I'm looking for with the resists also?

No thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

The idea is that you should be able to readily build a suit with minimal effort (simply gathering the resources) and replace the lost one in a matter of no time at all.

You can't see that the problem was it took you 3 years to find all the pieces you wanted in the first place?

That just sucks... for everyone.

D

Der Rock

-----------
minimal effort
-------------------

minimal effort for minimal minded
restuff.....killkillkillkilll-dead..restuff....killkilllkilllkilll-dead..restuff killll
day in day out
what a waste of lifetime

C

Connor_Graham

"The idea is that you should be able to readily build a suit with minimal effort (simply gathering the resources) and replace the lost one in a matter of no time at all."

It seems that's exactly what I said in my first post. Maybe you should try reading it before responding.

"You can't see that the problem was it took you 3 years to find all the pieces you wanted in the first place?"

I see more of a problem in losing one piece then having to do it all over again.

"That just sucks... for everyone."

No, just for those that can't admit that in an item based game causing those items to disappear isn't good for the game.

C

Connor_Graham

<blockquote><hr>

You really are selfish, that's too bad...la

[/ QUOTE ]

Me and everyone else that responded similarly?

Yeah.....ok.....*rolls eyes*

G

Roll your eyes all you want. Just re-read the statements of those who want nothing to change when it comes to items breaking...me, me, me.

Truth hurts...la

C

Connor_Graham

<blockquote><hr>

Roll your eyes all you want. Just re-read the statements of those who want nothing to change when it comes to items breaking...me, me, me.

Truth hurts...la

[/ QUOTE ]

I tell ya what. When you start becoming concerned about my gear, and supply me with Powder of Fort, armor pieces that fit the suits I'm still building or currently have, and the gold to cover insurance costs so I don't lose it, then I'll stop worrying about it myself.

Until then, yeah, I do and will continue to show concern about my "stuff". It was a long enough search for the right things the first time around without having to do it all over again, and again, and again, and again.....

We're not going back to the "good ol' days", so you and everyone else that wants things to break may as well accept that and move on. The days of finding a smith to repair or replace armor are over with as everyone has their own Legendary crafters now, and will just do it themselves.

Besides, the good ol' days weren't all that good or we'd still be in them.

I find it rather ironic that someone that plays a thief would call someone else selfish.....

I

imported_Chrome

Do Items need to break ?
I think ,Yes.

&lt;Weapon and Armor&gt;
Though Runic tool Intensity is higher, the situation is hardly changing,
one or a few high-end equipments conbination is only needed.
I think following,
Decreasing property is expanded. Maximum, All magic properties.

example - weapon
before slaying peerless boss
HLA +50%, HLD +48%, HML 25intensity, HSL+48%, SSI+30%, durability 510/510
after slaying peerless boss
HLA +40%, HLD +34%, HML 19intensity, HSL+42%, SSI+20%, DI-15%, durability 150/510
durability and DI- are repairable.

&lt;Add-on for Crafting&gt;
Anvil, Forge, Loom, Oven etc. They don't destroy, though they are used
millions of times.
I think following,
The appearance much used Add-on doesn't change and is deprived of the function. They need repairing or renew.

I

imported_BlacK RaiN

<blockquote><hr>

-----------
minimal effort
-------------------

minimal effort for minimal minded
restuff.....killkillkillkilll-dead..restuff....killkilllkilllkilll-dead..restuff killll
day in day out
what a waste of lifetime

[/ QUOTE ]

So grind grind grind grind grind till you finally get your stuff or until new stuff comes out...

isn't just as much of a waste of time?

At least with the time I suggest we waste... plenty of crafters and monster hunters get to waste their time too.

But, you selfish people don't care about anyone else other than you.

What a shame.

I

imported_BlacK RaiN

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

Truth hurts...la

[/ QUOTE ]

I tell ya what. When you start becoming concerned about my gear, and supply me with Powder of Fort, armor pieces that fit the suits I'm still building or currently have, and the gold to cover insurance costs so I don't lose it, then I'll stop worrying about it myself.

Until then, yeah, I do and will continue to show concern about my "stuff". It was a long enough search for the right things the first time around without having to do it all over again, and again, and again, and again.....

We're not going back to the "good ol' days", so you and everyone else that wants things to break may as well accept that and move on. The days of finding a smith to repair or replace armor are over with as everyone has their own Legendary crafters now, and will just do it themselves.

Besides, the good ol' days weren't all that good or we'd still be in them.

I find it rather ironic that someone that plays a thief would call someone else selfish.....

[/ QUOTE ]

Why don't you ever see the "insert 2 coins and try again" message pasted all over all your posts every time you try and give us your "2 cents?"

We do.

G

It took 3 years to find what ya needed? WoW!! And in that 3 years runics were not as easy to come by as they are today? People need to set personal greed aside and look at the big picture. Runics easy to gather=more people burning them=more crap on the server=alot more easy to find what your lookin for. I needed a gorget last week took me 10 mins to find.

I

imported_BlacK RaiN

<blockquote><hr>

People need to set personal greed aside and look at the big picture.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude... they can't.

They think they're the only players who matter in this game.

You haven't figured that out yet?

l-oh-well

C

Connor_Graham

"Why don't you ever see the "insert 2 coins and try again" message pasted all over all your posts every time you try and give us your "2 cents?"

We do. "

We? You and the 3 or 4 others of your opinion? Or do you have a mouse in your pocket?

C

Connor_Graham

"I needed a gorget last week took me 10 mins to find."

I've bought 2 pieces of armor in the almost 4 years I've played, and those 2 ONLY because they happened to be a perfect fit for the resists and properties I was looking for. I prefer to craft or hunt for my own things, not pay millions to some overpriced vendor in Luna.

I

imported_BlacK RaiN

<blockquote><hr>

"Why don't you ever see the "insert 2 coins and try again" message pasted all over all your posts every time you try and give us your "2 cents?"

We do. "

We? You and the 3 or 4 others of your opinion? Or do you have a mouse in your pocket?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a banana in my pocket.

I

imported_Hecubus

Okay...so umm...

Spellbooks (especially the new ones with mods) should eventually get waterlogged, sun-dried, or dog-eared to death.

Pets (even bonded ones) can just grow old and die, and umm...while we're at it let's set their skills to decay and shift like players' used to before you could turn them up, down or lock. That way if you're just using your dragon's breath the whole time on the other side of the fence- it loses melee skill.

Oh wait..what you really mean is you're sick of players whose primary usefulness is based on their gear (warriors) having a similar, renewable means of upkeep and use because it "should be more rare" than your auto-blessed spellbook and bonded, ress-able super dragon.

Right...

I am Jack's perpetual double-standard.

- Hec

G

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]
And that coming from Console Man himself. The man who thinks that nothing should break, nothing should be lost and everyone should walk round with a smile on their face kissing every one elses arse.

C

Connor_Graham

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]
And that coming from Console Man himself.

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny that the last console game I owned was a Nintendo 64...

I

imported_BlacK RaiN

<blockquote><hr>

Okay...so umm...

Spellbooks (especially the new ones with mods) should eventually get waterlogged, sun-dried, or dog-eared to death.

Pets (even bonded ones) can just grow old and die, and umm...while we're at it let's set their skills to decay and shift like players' used to before you could turn them up, down or lock. That way if you're just using your dragon's breath the whole time on the other side of the fence- it loses melee skill.

Oh wait..what you really mean is you're sick of players whose primary usefulness is based on their gear (warriors) having a similar, renewable means of upkeep and use because it "should be more rare" than your auto-blessed spellbook and bonded, ress-able super dragon.

Right...

I am Jack's perpetual double-standard.

- Hec

[/ QUOTE ]

On siege... any spellbook with mods on it is not blessed... therefore easily lost.

The codings there.

Also, I think pets should come fully trained when tamed. Die and disappear when they die.

If you want a new one... just go out and tame one and it's ready to go.

There's no double standard... just no desire for a standard that makes hunting, crafting, stealing, damn near every single skill in this game... that much more useless.

I

imported_Hecubus

Sounds good to me with the spellbooks, and I'd agree with the tame-ables being fully tamed and just dying.

The thing is- it would be much, much easier to go out and find another dragon than trying to find a slayer weapon that suited your weapon skill, and had similar mods...

Why should that be more rare than convincing yet another dragon that it should come with you and absorb all the damage and fight all the opponents you want it to fight?

It would work if the rarities were adjusted similarly.

I am Jack's powder of re-petification.

- Hec

I

imported_BlacK RaiN

<blockquote><hr>

Sounds good to me with the spellbooks, and I'd agree with the tame-ables being fully tamed and just dying.

The thing is- it would be much, much easier to go out and find another dragon than trying to find a slayer weapon that suited your weapon skill, and had similar mods...

[/ QUOTE ]

If the players could have control over the mods on the items they produced... why would it be an issue?

Gather up a small stock in your home and when it gets low... restock, giving players that chose not to do this... the ability to buy those items from other players who love to do this.

Making this game so we all have a place is a good idea.

K

Karthcove

<blockquote><hr>

No, just for those that can't admit that in an item based game causing those items to disappear isn't good for the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

And right there we have it! Conner, I am not making this post directed at you individually but to all with the belief this is an item based game.

Ultima is supposed to be a Virtue based game that happens to have items in it. The further UO gets from this basic fact the more it becomes every other game out there.

Personally I play my chars as extensions of myself, they become "real" - they develop a personality and each one interacts just a little bit different with others and even a little bit different in various circumstances. Each one has experienced loss, loss of friends, items and occasionally even karma (real "points" and real "life") - each has over time experienced great joy, new friends and karma. Those gains and losses are a part of life - yea, sometimes, just like in real life you work real hard and still end up taking two steps backward. Life without stress is death.

I suggest if you want to play a game that everything is balanced, you can replace everything you lost every 5 minutes and do absolutely nothing but PvP - go play Counter-Strike and let people "live a life" in UO - Counter-Strike is already the mind numbing pixel game without ANY consequence most appear to be seeking Ultima to be.

Mmm, I do like beer on a Saturday

K

Karthcove

<blockquote><hr>

Okay...so umm...

- Hec

[/ QUOTE ]

Great ideas! This is EXACTLY the kind of stuff we need. I know your trying to be sarcastic but this IS it!