• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Invitation to try out Siege Perilous

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I'm really glad you like it so far and it take more than a little thief to make you give up :)

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You wont believe what I found in my mailbox when I logged in 20 sec ago: The two black dyes with a book. The thief wrote me: "Sorry! Didn´t know that Safe Haven is different. But watch out in the wilderness."

Seems that the thief is reading this forum! :)

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
*Smiles* Thanks to the thief for respecting Safe Havens good old rules.

Ansel

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Freja is striking while the iron is hot. There seems to be some interest in Siege again.
This usually happens when some vocal Siege new folk try to dispel the persistent myth
that we are all hedonistic mass murderers. I used to be that new guy, some few years ago.
So was I, my friend.....I kept Aethelred in an Inn in Zento, essentially cowering in fear :eek:

Not sure how long he's been on Siege....when he finally checked out of the Inn I noticed a Compassion Dye in his backpack. So not long but not recently.

But, in fairness, Siege is, far and away, the most savage, kill without mercy shard.....for resource scripters ;) The other day someone announced over GC that they'd found one and there was an immediate shard-wide effort, Reds and Blues together, to hunt this foul creature down and terminate him with extreme prejudice. Ebullient cheers all around too when they got the loathsome creep. Let's see where is that dancing banana....oh here....:banana: No paging a GM to rat on the cheater and plead for action. No standing in the scripters bank spot to break the script only to have the ******* walk up to you barking "I no cheat...I report you!" Nope, just swift, frontier justice :)

And, yes, as many have wisely and profoundly noted, you can't go back to the UO past in terms of items and features and rule-sets. But you can experience some of the better elements, many superior in some ways to the original game with its legions of conscious-free griefers and scammers. Siege is an intimate community much like some of the pre-UO online games I used to love. Try being a scammer on Siege and you'll likely face the fate of the scripter. And a GC where players communicate with each other....nobody trolling, nobody being a richard, nobody blathering about sports or American politics :rant2:

omukai

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Thinking about starting a Gargoyle on Siege.
Taming/Lore/Vet/Magery/Imbuing/Music/Disco
This template is a little tight, but probably doable.

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So was I, my friend.....I kept Aethelred in an Inn in Zento, essentially cowering in fear :eek:

Not sure how long he's been on Siege....when he finally checked out of the Inn I noticed a Compassion Dye in his backpack. So not long but not recently.

But, in fairness, Siege is, far and away, the most savage, kill without mercy shard.....for resource scripters ;) The other day someone announced over GC that they'd found one and there was an immediate shard-wide effort, Reds and Blues together, to hunt this foul creature down and terminate him with extreme prejudice. Ebullient cheers all around too when they got the loathsome creep. Let's see where is that dancing banana....oh here....:banana: No paging a GM to rat on the cheater and plead for action. No standing in the scripters bank spot to break the script only to have the ******* walk up to you barking "I no cheat...I report you!" Nope, just swift, frontier justice :)

And, yes, as many have wisely and profoundly noted, you can't go back to the UO past in terms of items and features and rule-sets. But you can experience some of the better elements, many superior in some ways to the original game with its legions of conscious-free griefers and scammers. Siege is an intimate community much like some of the pre-UO online games I used to love. Try being a scammer on Siege and you'll likely face the fate of the scripter. And a GC where players communicate with each other....nobody trolling, nobody being a richard, nobody blathering about sports or American politics :rant2:
Exactly what I have experienced!

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thinking about starting a Gargoyle on Siege.
Taming/Lore/Vet/Magery/Imbuing/Music/Disco
This template is a little tight, but probably doable.
Sounds funny and quite versatile!

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No. But you can buy tokens from Origin Store and trade/sell them ingame. Which is good for the company, too

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No. But you can buy tokens from Origin Store and trade/sell them ingame. Which is good for the company, too
There are gold brokers from prodo to siege. Always have been. So you CAN buy your way on siege. Most people just don't want to, because it defeats the purpose for a lot of people which is to start fresh.

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes, forgot that you can trade gold for gold. Sorry. But that's no fun if you ask me

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes, forgot that you can trade gold for gold. Sorry. But that's no fun if you ask me
No debate from me there. I never did it. Then again when I came to siege, no one really had anything worth brokering over, and nothing to trade it for. :p

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thats pretty cool. Spock´s Beard had the idea of doing a PVM-ironman: Training a char up from 0 without ANY player resources. I chose Siege for my own ironman, as I got bored from the way I played UO lately.

So, I fought around 5 weeks and in the end I got a spellbook and a lrc-armor only from loot and built a 7x7-house near the telehub. That was the moment, when I learned that actually playing the game the way how it meant to be was great - a feeling I missed for nearly a decade. I was addicted and began to interact with other players...

And I bought a token from the Origin store to get a bit fresh money for a larger, customized house. With alot of help from my new friends, I fell in love with Siege :)

Igg A Pie

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No third party gold buying on Siege?
thats not how i meant it. what i mean is.......you cant just go buy skill up to 40 and marco it to 120. you cant just go to luna and buy an endless supply of mats and wears to just crank out armor. you cant just jump right in to killing earth eles. sounds funny but you got to start with mongbats, cows, bears blah blah blah. you got to go and pick cotton, get someone to make you a loom, make bolts, sell them, buy gear.......you know the drill. this is all if you want to truly start from scrath. if you would like help, just ask and you will be surprised. that being said, vet siege players wont just give you the farm but we will be more than happy to get you on your way. we have all done it so we all remember what its like to star fresh here on siege. wokiing your way up is an "unsaid" right of passage.

i have seen many people buy legacy tokens and sell them for start up money. i have seen people cross shard gold. thats fine. come on over and choose your destiny. siege is truly what you make it. with one character you have no alts to hide behind. your reputation is what dictates about 50% of your sucesss on siege, the other half is hard work and networking based upon your rep. sure you can buy a name change deed and try to dump a bad persona. what you may not know is that people here on siege keep track of that pesky "id number" that shows up before everything you say. that will never change for that account. all it takes is 2 or 3 people to know that you are really so and so and you used a name change deed....then its back to square one for you.

i said this before, you can be and act however you like. but if your just going to be a detriment you can succeed. but it will make life here on siege very difficult. i think people dont ever really wear what they are not willing to loose. killing me and looting me is fine. killing me looting me and cutting up my armor in front of me is fine. killing me and looting me, and offering me a buy back of my armor is fine(it may be a good source of income). killing me, looting me, cutting up my armor in front of me and gloating in general is dancing dangerously close to the line of "ruining your rep". whatever you want to do is fine by me, its all good. but i wont forget it and neither will all the players on siege that see it in general chat and all the people that will hear about it from the people that seen it.

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Good answer, Igg. I agree that anybody who hasn't started a character from scratch at least once or twice should give it a try. It's really one of my favorite experiences in UO, and as I have said in other posts, I'd do it more often if I could build more houses on other shards without buying more accounts. But whether I'd do it again on Siege, I don't know. I'm at the point where I'm not looking for ways to make the game harder. What I see on Siege are a lot of weights that I don't know I have the energy to run with. But I have enjoyed reading the posts in this thread, to learn more about another play style.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I don't know if I will call it harder, it's different. Back in 1997, it was hard, took a year to GM a char.
You can always give it a try, only thing you really will lose is time if you decide Siege is not for you.

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I don't know if I will call it harder, it's different. Back in 1997, it was hard, took a year to GM a char.
You can always give it a try, only thing you really will lose is time if you decide Siege is not for you.
i don't think Siege is for me. I'm gonna throw all my junk on the bank floor and quit.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I made my gold on Siege selling a Vet Reward. I sold a set of house Teleporters.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
Look folks... I have tried to sell Siege for at least a decade. I am done trying to convince others that this Siege is not the Siege of 15 years ago, or even 10 years ago.

I figure there are a couple of things I have yet to do on my UO "bucket list". I will focus on those in game things.

I appreciate the passion that many Siege players new and old. *coughs* Freja *coughs* Rico... I know yer lurking out there.

New guys! Yay! Do not let the Siege haters get to ya. Haters gotta hate. *shrugs*

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Welcome to all the new and returning players, who gave Siege a try this week. So good to see you on our shard.

Don't forget to use General Chat and ask for help, if you feel lost, we are there to help with advices and training gear.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
If you not already had been there, take a look at UO Siege Perilous, there are several thread about what goes on right now

SlobberKnocker

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's funny. I have a leroucians mempo from seven years ago when i last played siege. Was talking in chat and asked how much its worth. Was told around 8-12 million as there are not many available on the shard. Was going to put it in the auction but than thought to myself what the hell do i need 10 million gold for on this shard. Everything I own i looted or won after finishing a spawn.

I wear what I dig. it gets looted so be it. I can get more where that came from.

i love the community and the people in my guild. It's been a pleasure to return.

Oh and having the ability to place a house here was a big decider for me to return. it's no fun to play out of a bank box and I cannot imagine a crafter being able to do it.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's funny. I have a leroucians mempo from seven years ago when i last played siege. Was talking in chat and asked how much its worth. Was told around 8-12 million as there are not many available on the shard. Was going to put it in the auction but than thought to myself what the hell do i need 10 million gold for on this shard. Everything I own i looted or won after finishing a spawn.

I wear what I dig. it gets looted so be it. I can get more where that came from.

i love the community and the people in my guild. It's been a pleasure to return.

Oh and having the ability to place a house here was a big decider for me to return. it's no fun to play out of a bank box and I cannot imagine a crafter being able to do it.
What's your name on siege, sir? Just... so if I run into you I can say...hello. :devil:

Kolka

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Campaign Patron
Well, I am a Trammy - I am too casual a player ( or possibly too lazy) to be much of anything PvP wise. So logically I made a character on Siege. I started several months ago, but sort of lost track of it until this recent round of Siege threads (special thanks to OreoGL for bumping them as often as he does).
I started from scratch with a warrior; like most people I have more than one account, and if I do a Mage I think I will use a token for that. But for now it's running around killing Ettins, etc. until I had enough gold to make a house. Managed to collect enough for a 7 X 10 ( no puny 7 X 7 for me!), though not enough apparently for things like walls and doors. It's on the to do list. I did get an ethy ride because when everything can kill you, you go through a lot of mounts. And siege was starting to run out of horses. So some PvM'er observations:

Having to run everywhere isn't as bad as I thought it would be.

Dark wisps are mean.

Woodpeckers on siege must be pretty buff, because unless I'm fully rested, I bounce right off the little suckers.

It's funny to kill a lizardman and loot absolutely everything on it. Brings me back to when I first started.

You would think a shard that is all PvP, the chat would be unbearable. But the gen chat name calling/ whining just doesn't seem to be there.

I haven't actually been pk'd yet. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure it's coming, but one of my initial hesitations was that I would spend all my time getting killed by reds an looking for healers. So it's nice that you can actually play ( and get killed by dark wisps and look for healers).

The suit I made from random loot is pretty stylin!

Anyway, more words than I think I've ever typed before, but pleasantly surprised so far with Siege.

Silent Singer

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Yeah, as soon as I had the cash, I picked up some clothing bless deeds to bless some plain unmodded "outer wear" because the eye sore that is my thrown together suit is hard to look at. You can always buy monks robes at empath abby too.

Kolka

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Campaign Patron
Yeah, as soon as I had the cash, I picked up some clothing bless deeds to bless some plain unmodded "outer wear" because the eye sore that is my thrown together suit is hard to look at. You can always buy monks robes at empath abby too.
Well I figure if I have to look at it, you all should have to too.

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I love running around in loot! I would do the same in RL if I could. ;-)

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, I am a Trammy - I am too casual a player ( or possibly too lazy) to be much of anything PvP wise. So logically I made a character on Siege. I started several months ago, but sort of lost track of it until this recent round of Siege threads (special thanks to OreoGL for bumping them as often as he does).
I started from scratch with a warrior; like most people I have more than one account, and if I do a Mage I think I will use a token for that. But for now it's running around killing Ettins, etc. until I had enough gold to make a house. Managed to collect enough for a 7 X 10 ( no puny 7 X 7 for me!), though not enough apparently for things like walls and doors. It's on the to do list. I did get an ethy ride because when everything can kill you, you go through a lot of mounts. And siege was starting to run out of horses. So some PvM'er observations:

Having to run everywhere isn't as bad as I thought it would be.

Dark wisps are mean.

Woodpeckers on siege must be pretty buff, because unless I'm fully rested, I bounce right off the little suckers.

It's funny to kill a lizardman and loot absolutely everything on it. Brings me back to when I first started.

You would think a shard that is all PvP, the chat would be unbearable. But the gen chat name calling/ whining just doesn't seem to be there.

I haven't actually been pk'd yet. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure it's coming, but one of my initial hesitations was that I would spend all my time getting killed by reds an looking for healers. So it's nice that you can actually play ( and get killed by dark wisps and look for healers).

The suit I made from random loot is pretty stylin!

Anyway, more words than I think I've ever typed before, but pleasantly surprised so far with Siege.
I would never use a token for a spellcaster. It's so easy to get the skills up. Waste of money, if you ask me!

Silent Singer

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Agreed, with lrc and lmc and mage wands, I raised my skills to token level for magery, med, and eval in no time. Just gating around eventually pushed my magery to the 115 mark. Save your token for the dread day you need tactics *shudder*

SlobberKnocker

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Your story is much the same as mine. Enjoy the journey.

PK's really are not much of a problem at the moment. I haven't been Pk'd since I've been back unless I count the Sunday patrols that my guild does, but to me that's more of an RP or what you would call a Friendly in Soccer.

During your training if you stay off the beaten track and bank at obscure locations you should have no trouble at all. If you did get pk'd i'd pretty much tell you they would probably not dry loot you and might even give you a rez.

good community here.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Honestly the shard is very little about pvp at present. 90% of it is vvv.

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I will join if everyone promises not to kill me.
I promise! I could only try with a tinker tool... no chance, bud!

But stop telling people they should join Europa - Drachenfels is the place to be for EU-noobs ;-)

Voki

Visitor
Hello!

I was originally an Atlantic guy since the early UO days, and took numerous breaks between Mondain's Legacy to Stygian Abyss(Mostly due to IRL). Been thinking about returning for a few months now. Honestly, I've seen a lot of threads/posts by Freja on this site and on others lol - which has actually got me a bit interested in trying out Siege if I return. I've always been a well-rounded player, and did a lot of PVM/PVP casually and hardcore. Guess I'm looking for a new experience to go with that!

I suppose my biggest "questions or concerns" would be the current state of the game, and the following:

-Has Time of Legends been a good introduction into the game?

-One of the times I took a break awhile back, soulstones were quite a thing at the time - have these really impacted the environment, or uniqueness on Siege? At some point would I need to look into them myself?

-I'm seeing a lot of references all over the place to "VvV" and how a lot of people mostly just do whatever that is these days lol. It will be something I'll read up on more, but is that a large factor on Siege as well?

-Is it still worth visiting numerous areas of older content in the game? (Doom, Champ Spawns, the fishing content from High Seas, Stygian Abyss bosses) or has any of that been replaced completely by the newer content?

Any answers/direction would be greatly appreciated!

(It's also worth noting that a friend of mine has also commented to me on seeing your posts Freja. If advertising, and trying to bring new/old blood to Siege is your goal, you definitely are getting some folk's attention. And I wish you luck on that!)

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Has Time of Legends been a good introduction into the game?
Fine, mostly little impact. Some masteries are good, many aren't, Shadowguard seems fun, but you'll need a guild to do it.

One of the times I took a break awhile back, soulstones were quite a thing at the time - have these really impacted the environment, or uniqueness on Siege? At some point would I need to look into them myself?
Yes. Pretty much everyone has them.

I'm seeing a lot of references all over the place to "VvV" and how a lot of people mostly just do whatever that is these days lol. It will be something I'll read up on more, but is that a large factor on Siege as well?
Large factor, no. Just something people sometimes do for fun.

s it still worth visiting numerous areas of older content in the game? (Doom, Champ Spawns, the fishing content from High Seas, Stygian Abyss bosses) or has any of that been replaced completely by the newer content?
Na people still do all the old stuff. The artifacts are crap, but the drop the best regular loot. Champs have the scrolls and masteries of course.

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I think, it has been. However, I dont like the concept of the shadowguard encounter. Far too time consuming for a casual player!

-Is it still worth visiting numerous areas of older content in the game? (Doom, Champ Spawns, the fishing content from High Seas, Stygian Abyss bosses) or has any of that been replaced completely by the newer content?

Absolutely, if you ask me. I am playing for 8-9 weeks in Siege now and I learned that every pile of gold counts. 1000-2000k per killed monster is a nice source of income. Stuff you can trash brings you nice amounts of clean-up Points. All bosses drop newest re-vamp armor, which can be decisive for your suit. Resources, arties... SA is important for imbuing, which is a key-skill for many players. And so on. As the market is completely different from prodo-shards, many items have completely different values and stuff you might regard worthless elsewhere can be a nice income here... (Heritage Tokens! Low Level Vet Rewards...). Practical use is a major argument! :)

You will like it here!

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I was originally an Atlantic guy since the early UO days, and took numerous breaks between Mondain's Legacy to Stygian Abyss(Mostly due to IRL). Been thinking about returning for a few months now. Honestly, I've seen a lot of threads/posts by Freja on this site and on others lol - which has actually got me a bit interested in trying out Siege if I return. I've always been a well-rounded player, and did a lot of PVM/PVP casually and hardcore. Guess I'm looking for a new experience to go with that!
Hi there
Siege is not that much different from other shards. You can be everything you want on Siege, crafter, PvM'er, PvP'er, rolleplayer etc. Like most other shards, we are less players now and it can be harder to find PvP but not all mind that.
Don't expect to find Siege players ar Luna or Brit bank, you will have more success in New Mag or Zento. There are also some shops there, but a lot moved their shops to their main home, when we got Vendor Search.
Remember to join General Chat, we hang out there instead of the banks.

The ruleset do something good to the community, and many Siege players can tell, they was ready to quit UO, when they choose to try our Siege before leaving. Some of them are still here.

It's not a must to have it, and Devs are still adding more to it. I like it so far and did spent a lot time there to get the new recipes. The masteries are nice but you can PvP and PvM fine without them. I had not tried shadowguard encounter yet

-One of the times I took a break awhile back, soulstones were quite a thing at the time - have these really impacted the environment, or uniqueness on Siege? At some point would I need to look into them myself?
You can play Siege without them but as we only have one char on an account, most do have several soulstones.
To make it on Siege, you need a way to make gold, that be PvM, treasure hunting, crafting, collection etc. Items do not cost as much as on normal shards.

-I'm seeing a lot of references all over the place to "VvV" and how a lot of people mostly just do whatever that is these days lol. It will be something I'll read up on more, but is that a large factor on Siege as well?
I like VvV, vs Faction, you can have VvV and non VvV in same guild, that's nice. VvV works on all facets on Siege. Most who like PvP do join it, the stat loss are only 5 min so that's ok. The town battles are nice too, a good place to find a fight.

references all over the place to "VvV" and how a lot of people mostly just do whatever that is these days lol. It will be something I'll read up on more, but is that a large factor on Siege as well?

That's still the same I believe, but I'm not a hardcore PvM player so others can answar that better than me.

(It's also worth noting that a friend of mine has also commented to me on seeing your posts Freja. If advertising, and trying to bring new/old blood to Siege is your goal, you definitely are getting some folk's attention. And I wish you luck on that!)
Thanks, so far we had seen several new Siege players and we had seen some old return, so my threads do works :)

Last edited: