• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Do You Want A Classic Shard??

Do you want a Classic UO shard?

• Total voters
K

Kinks

Old player / occasional lurker here. I'm glad this thread has had so many responses.

Forgive me if these things have been covered, I don't have time to check every post.

Nobody is asking for the original source code, only the rule set. This can be done, I don't need to tell everyone where to look for evidence. "Classic" is a hard term to define. Many players quit when t2a was released, but only a small amount compared to the creation of trammel and subsequent... improvements. So the shard will need the original lands + t2a. Player feedback would be needed(moderately) to make sure the devs get things proper (the game is always going to be imbalanced, just make it moderately fair). No items other than the original, NO NEON, skill based. Also the bounty system would need to be revamped with our fancy modern technology because most people coming back would be PK wannabes or abuse the system.

Nobody is asking for it to be perfect, and anybody who would refuses to come back over some small detail is bluffing or won't make an impact compared to the amount of hype/players the shard would bring back.

EA Mythic can do it. If not, Garriott has expressed his interest in returning one day, so return the crown to the king. Here's where I wrote some long dramatic paragraph about the importance of this, but forget it. Just make the damn shard.

C

CORRECTUO

Old player / occasional lurker here. I'm glad this thread has had so many responses.

Forgive me if these things have been covered, I don't have time to check every post.
Please, voice your opinion. Its good to hear someone speak on here without it being full of trammie propaganda.

Nobody is asking for the original source code, only the rule set. This can be done, I don't need to tell everyone where to look for evidence. "Classic" is a hard term to define. Many players quit when t2a was released, but only a small amount compared to the creation of trammel and subsequent... improvements. So the shard will need the original lands + t2a. Player feedback would be needed(moderately) to make sure the devs get things proper (the game is always going to be imbalanced, just make it moderately fair). No items other than the original, NO NEON, skill based. Also the bounty system would need to be revamped with our fancy modern technology because most people coming back would be PK wannabes or abuse the system.
Indeed, the original code wouldnt be needed, just one that is reasonably close. LBR code would even do, all that would be needed was the removal of Ilshenar and Trammel.

I dont know about most people want to be PK wannabes. I think most people coming back would be happy with being able to make a functional character and meet up with old friends. Alignment issues would come up later.

The only thing I would see needed to be reworked with the bounty system would be the prevention of players making reds for the sole purpose of having a friend kill him and collect the bounty money the split it between them.

Nobody is asking for it to be perfect, and anybody who would refuses to come back over some small detail is bluffing or won't make an impact compared to the amount of hype/players the shard would bring back.
Agreed.

EA Mythic can do it. If not, Garriott has expressed his interest in returning one day, so return the crown to the king. Here's where I wrote some long dramatic paragraph about the importance of this, but forget it. Just make the damn shard.
I couldnt agree more! EA should give UO back to Garriot or at least make him project manager of UO.

And, yes, they should just make the damn shards already. You think they would want to do it and actually start attracting players. I know attracting customers is a foreign concept to EA, but it really is a good thing that they should try.

o2bavr6

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Please, voice your opinion. Its good to hear someone speak on here without it being full of trammie propaganda.
Sad how it's like everything in life. When people don't agree with you they want to shut you down.

Yet when we don't agree with them, we just say, no problem, just don't include me!

We didn't want Tram, but they made it anyway. Tram had a huge impact on the game. Yet if they made a classic shard it wouldn't impact anyone but the people who want to go there in the first place.

But again, Trammies don't want us to have that because???? I guess because they just don't want us to.. cant think of anything else other than they are just spoiled children.

C

CORRECTUO

Sad how it's like everything in life. When people don't agree with you they want to shut you down.

Yet when we don't agree with them, we just say, no problem, just don't include me!

We didn't want Tram, but they made it anyway. Tram had a huge impact on the game. Yet if they made a classic shard it wouldn't impact anyone but the people who want to go there in the first place.

But again, Trammies don't want us to have that because???? I guess because they just don't want us to.. cant think of anything else other than they are just spoiled children.
Agreed. They have yet to post a reasonable opposition to classic servers other than they just dont want them. Well, they arent the ones who are asking for them, so what do they care? They will still have their post AOS neon item slave servers. It wont affect them in any way. Yet they act like we are trying to alter the entire game. Sorry, no, classic server supporters dont want to ruin the game for anyone else, unlike the trammel supporters did way back when.

G

grimskunk

Hi there!
I played Lake superior in 1998 for 8 month and was simply googling about Ultima online (Uo classic search) and discovered this nice and smelly thread.So i decided to register !! I never experienced UO:R or whatever you call it Anyway .Our guildhouse was south of Minoc :) .It's was hell but it's was fun :) . We were allies with the other house owner because it's was a very well know spot for pk'er.So we controlled the area.

I was reading a bit and some people have no idea what T2A was .Although i only played for 8 month and it's was 11 years ago.So my memory a bit failing me.

I'm waiting for Mortal Online right now.But just realize that no mmorpg would ever be like UO.

Ultima Online was the first very big MMO .Just IRC was something in 1997-1998.So to play with thousand of player ..It's was just insane.Just seing another player and interacting with them was *special* . My phone line was busy often :p .When i had a message i would disconnect!!

You're connected at 50,000 bauds! RAWR .Time to play uo or download a mp3at the speed of light(30 minutes for 6 meg) .

I would certaintly come back . I tried the trial .. But i don't know.Cash was easy to get .Everyone seem to be somekind of Santaclaus. I simply won't stay.

But if they make a classic shard (Like it's was in 1998) .. Count me in.

IanJames

Certifiable
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A word of warning to all of you wanting your classic shard.

Seeing what has happened to Siege Perilous, I can guarantee that something will not go as planned, your shard will get screwed and it will take years to get anything fixed because they will be focusing their limited resources on the production shards.

You will ask for something to be fixed or changed because gameplay has been negatively affected, and you will be beating your head against a wall for weeks, months or even longer.

Just be prepared. If you want it, you might get it, but your fight won't be over.

T

thelust6

This ain't going to happen through Ea/Mythic. Also rather it didn't too, I've followed threads requesting such an implementation over the years, the answer is no for many legitimate reasons that have been discussed already in this and previous threads. Perhaps the alternative option for those that want to enjoy the game under the legacy rules would be a free shard that supports this playstyle? x

C

CORRECTUO

This ain't going to happen through Ea/Mythic. Also rather it didn't too, I've followed threads requesting such an implementation over the years, the answer is no for many legitimate reasons that have been discussed already in this and previous threads. Perhaps the alternative option for those that want to enjoy the game under the legacy rules would be a free shard that supports this playstyle? x
Well, if the answer were that simple, then wouldnt people be doing it? Yes, they would. However, the free shards are poorly maintained virus traps run by hackers. Why dont you just tell people to take baseball bats to the computers now and save them the trouble of getting it ruined by a virus from a free shard?

Legitimate reasons? Name one that hasnt been shot down and/or offered a solution for?

B

Bc-

Seeing what has happened to Siege Perilous, I can guarantee that something will not go as planned, your shard will get screwed and it will take years to get anything fixed because they will be focusing their limited resources on the production shards.

You will ask for something to be fixed or changed because gameplay has been negatively affected, and you will be beating your head against a wall for weeks, months or even longer.

Just be prepared. If you want it, you might get it, but your fight won't be over.
Funny, I am not tryng to be disrespectful, I appreciate your post.. but the first thing that popped into my head was, "Wow, that will REALLY make it a classic shard then" :)

I can remember begging for months to years to have things changed in old UO, and rarely getting an answer :p It is all part of the MMO process.

It would make me feel right at home to have that happen again, as dumb as it sounds ;)

I think a lot of people are confused here, we are not, or at least I am not, asking for a PK run type server. Lets not fool ourselves, the Dread Lord days lasted less than a year, it was quite evident early on that this play style could not support the game in the long term.

I agree with stat loss, I feel it adds a sense of realism to the art of PKing. You are risking something this way, and only the skilled and brave will do well under stat loss..

I simply want a server that does not require anything AoS related. Pub 16? fine, UO:R? Fine.. Summer 1998 rule set? Fine.

PRE AOS, that is something that EVERYONE who wants this shard can agree on.

the 4th man

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
To date 432 votes, yay or nay..........not a whole hell of alot to warrant dev time and dev pay. And in this day and age of layoffs, I don't see this thing ever happening.

Maybe it's a middle life crisis thing.
You can dream though.

E

ElRay

To date 432 votes, yay or nay..........not a whole hell of alot to warrant dev time and dev pay. And in this day and age of layoffs, I don't see this thing ever happening.
Thats probably because uo stratics raises the level of suck everyday, and noone wants to experience it. Wow, you can count, im impressed with your skills.

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you actually read the posts of your fellow custom shard supporters, you will see that this is very, very much not true. You almost all have a slightly different idea and you're all actually rather stuck on your particular preferences. One of you even referred to anything other than a pre-Ren server as "crap." (Actual quote.)

Sorry but you are demonstrably wrong. All you have to do is read this thread. The reality is that you just about all have slightly different ideas about what era you want to model a custom shard on, and many of you, including one of your most prominent have proposals that involve a rules set that has never existed in UO's history. This is why I've tried to shift the terminology from "classic" shard to "custom" shard, because I started to realize that this argument has little to do with UO's past, and everything to do with tweaking the rules set to be in line with individuals' preferences.

-Galen's player

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Thank you for recognizing, as I long have, that, despite the custom shard supporters' claims, they in fact WILL demand for stuff to be fixed after the shard is made. You see, if you ask them, they'll never want anything fixed, just make the shard and then leave them alone.

I am glad to see I'm not the only one who recognizes how false that claim is.

-Galen's player

B

Bc-

Maybe it's a middle life crisis thing.
You can dream though.
Right 432 votes, how many people would you say read these forums total? I would say that is a fairly large amount of votes considering our sample size.

Show me a poll that has had that many votes in recent history.

C

CORRECTUO

If you actually read the posts of your fellow custom shard supporters, you will see that this is very, very much not true. You almost all have a slightly different idea and you're all actually rather stuck on your particular preferences. One of you even referred to anything other than a pre-Ren server as "crap." (Actual quote.)
Ah, Galens vagueness approach. He says its an actual quote, but wont actually quote the person. Now, either hes lying or just doesnt have the guts to actuall come out and confront someone. My guess its a little bit of both.

As for not all "CLASSIC" server supporters agreeing with one another, you AOS supporters cant even agree on what skill or artifact to nerf next. Your beloved AOS systems keeps causing game breaking issues, that all I ever see on here are complaints about how one skill is stronger than another or how these LMC and LRC artifacts are making mages too powerful or some other complaint. So you dare to preach down to us about not agreeing on something, yet youre no better yourself? There is one word for that, hypocracy.

Bc- was refering to himself in his post. He said that HE wouldnt mind playing a renaissance shard. But he was correct in saying that the Classic Shard supporters want our shard to be VOID of all AOS content.

Sorry but you are demonstrably wrong. All you have to do is read this thread. The reality is that you just about all have slightly different ideas about what era you want to model a custom shard on, and many of you, including one of your most prominent have proposals that involve a rules set that has never existed in UO's history. This is why I've tried to shift the terminology from "classic" shard to "custom" shard, because I started to realize that this argument has little to do with UO's past, and everything to do with tweaking the rules set to be in line with individuals' preferences.

-Galen's player
It is YOU who needs to read the threads, Galen. There are many similarities in what Classic Server supporters want. We want the open PvP, we want the old items, weapons and armor to come back, we want the old crafting system to come back, we want the old skills to mean something again and function, we dont want anything AOS related on our servers. Soild staples that are agreed upon by all Classic servers supporters.

Custom? No, thats just your way of down playing the Classic server and insulting the idea of it. All we ask for are the fixes that were initially promised but never delivered at the right time. That doesnt make the server custom, that just makes it fixed. Custom would mean the shard was being made for one specific person. But its not, its being made to bring back a majority of the TRUE veterans of this game, those who played at the beginning and knew what this game was really about. And yes, those people would return. Go out, play the so called dominant MMOs out there. WoW, EVE, AOC, even Darkfall players would come running back if EA offered classic ruleset servers.

C

CORRECTUO

Thank you for recognizing, as I long have, that, despite the custom shard supporters' claims, they in fact WILL demand for stuff to be fixed after the shard is made. You see, if you ask them, they'll never want anything fixed, just make the shard and then leave them alone.

I am glad to see I'm not the only one who recognizes how false that claim is.

-Galen's player
No one ever said we wouldnt ask for fixes. Youre just putting words in our mouthes that were never said.

However, these fixes wouldnt be hard to apply as they were applied once before, albeit at the wrong times.

Does that make the shard custom? No. Its classic because of the rule set. But, Galen cant have that. No, he wants to strip this of all dignity possible so CLASSIC servers arent made. Calling them custom shards is Galen's way of insulting them, belittling them, making them sound as if they were the cries of petulent children. And for what reason? He has none. Hes just doing it because he can. And that, people, is the mark of a true petulent and impudent child.

So, until you and your fellow naysayers come up with valid, bulletproof evidence that completely eliminates classic servers, I suggest you cease this unfounded opposition to something that wont affect you in anyway. You'll still have your AOS servers, what do you care if people have a different server to play on? Youre opposing this just so you have something to oppose and nothing more.

C

Connor_Graham

Why do you constantly insist on bringing this thread from 4-5 pages back? Enough with the Necro. The last reply was 5 days ago. Let it rest already. We're tired of hearing about it.

C

CORRECTUO

Why do you constantly insist on bringing this thread from 4-5 pages back? Enough with the Necro. The last reply was 5 days ago. Let it rest already. We're tired of hearing about it.
I am not necroing. I dont have the chance to get on here everyday and post as I have pressing matters to attend to in my life and I am replying to posts in a thread I am interested in.

Also, if I were to make new threads about this topic, you would all complain to the moderators, crying with tears in your eyes, that I am spamming the forums.

At least this way, everything is contained to one thread and nothing gets spammed.

I continue to post in this thread because Im interested in it. If you have a problem with that, well then too bad. If youre sick of reading this thread, then why are you reading it at all? Sounds to me like youre only tormenting yourself with this. No one is forcing you to read it or even look at it, yet here you are. Hmm, you must not be so sick of it after all.

C

Connor_Graham

The thread might be worth reading if you didn't keep saying the same thing over and over and over and over and over again, along with dismissing anything anyone else has to say contrary to your own opinion.

Personally, I'm sick of seeing the title continuously pop up. There are 31 pages of the same things being said. How many more times do you want to repeat what you've already said on every other page of this thread?

As I said, enough with the Necro. Let it die already.

O

Old Man of UO

No one ever said we wouldnt ask for fixes. Youre just putting words in our mouthes that were never said.

However, these fixes wouldnt be hard to apply as they were applied once before, albeit at the wrong times.

So, until you and your fellow naysayers come up with valid, bulletproof evidence that completely eliminates classic servers, I suggest you cease this unfounded opposition to something that wont affect you in anyway. ...
I never saw anyone less clueless. All the arguments for and against have been posted, and you reject any you don't like with poorly thought-out reasoning.

SO... Unless you pro-"Classic Server" types can come up with valid, bulletproof evidence that completely proves that enough people will come to pay for the new server hardware and Developer/Programmer time, I suggest you cease this unfounded nonsense.

C

CORRECTUO

The thread might be worth reading if you didn't keep saying the same thing over and over and over and over and over again, along with dismissing anything anyone else has to say contrary to your own opinion.

Personally, I'm sick of seeing the title continuously pop up. There are 31 pages of the same things being said. How many more times do you want to repeat what you've already said on every other page of this thread?

As I said, enough with the Necro. Let it die already.
The thread is here, its a topic im interested in, so Im going to post in it. Dont like it? Well then why are you even reading it?

Unless youve got something relevant to post, go troll somewhere else.

A

AesSedai

- Here is your one ~free 'bump' from me CORRECTUO :)

Think about the economics of your plea, as has been mentioned countless times within this thread; countless times that you perchance missed or overlooked. Then declare this valid variable to be malarky, as you have a few times already.
Enjoy.

'Build it and they will come'...
- You are correct.
But for how long will they remain, unless resources are constantly poured into maintaining their demands... ?

Blam, we just turned UO into 4+ resource (that means costing $$$) intensive games/versions, rather than the 3+ that it currently is (Felucca, Trammel, Siege/Mugen ~ Production & Siege/Mugen... I'm not even including SA v Legacy here nor am I including the differences between S&M...).
Nooo, no, that could not possibly take away from any current subscribers if it were to fail (/sarcasm and \reality).

This is why some (including myself) have said, within this very thread, that this is not the time for another custom shard; although, once UO improves later on down the road, it may become quite desirable / viable.
To reiterate: Now, according to me, is not the time for another custom addition.

Surgeries

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
SO... Unless you Anti Classic types can come up with valid, bulletproof evidence that completely proves that enough people will NOT come to pay for the new server hardware and Developer/Programmer time, I suggest you cease this unfounded nonsense.

dont it hurt when youre own words get used against you?
It's been 11 years...almost twelve, since UO was born.

It's been almost 10 years since Trammel came, and took away the "Choice" of those that dominated the game at that time, and put in a "Choice" for those that didn't like the way UO was, with no viable "Choice" for those that didn't want Non-Consensual PvP, all day, every day.

And since then...the clamoring hasn't stopped...ever...even with threats of discipline.

And yet...even though you, and all the rest that say how wildly successful a Classic Shard will be *cough Darkfall cough*..the folks that really need to "See" your wisdom...the ones that actually do know (unlike you and all of the speculators...Speculator = Non-EA Employee Without Access to Real Data Other Than Their Own Opinion")...they don't see it...and haven't...for 10 years.

So...it is a bit painful when the truth presents itself thusly...and as it has been said...perhaps things will change.

But so far...10 years of history, along with really no good solid evidence to support the claim that "They Will Come"...and so far an absolute lack of suupport from the very people that would need to bless such a project...well...

Kinda sucks to be you folks, yes?

Yup...it does...but keep trying. Who knows? Maybe it won't suck forever...

B ut it would really suck, if it did, huh?

:danceb::danceb::danceb:

G

Gowron

OK, even though I'm certain that the horse is dead, I'm going to give it a few more whacks.

I have NEVER tried to shut down those who wish this Classic Shard to occur. I have merely speculated myself, while an interesting and entriguing concept, that it will not happen.

As far as those who want it go, if you really expect the EA folks to make this happen, the burden of proof is on you to do the following:

1. Come to a consensus on what a "Classic Shard" will be. Though I haven't followed the entire thread (sorry don't have that kind of time), I think it is somewhere between UO and UOR. Will it include T2A? Would you want the other additions such as Ilshenar, Doom, SA but in the original rulesets? No Power Scrolls, No STAT Scrolls, Arties can be yes or no because without insurance I don't think they'd be overbalanced.

2. What kind of increased income potential would there be in contrast to the increased workload of developers or increased division of developer time to service different rule sets between Production Shards, Siege, and Classic?

3. Would there be consideration for allowing 1 house per account per shard instead of just 1 house per account? Though I think I know the answer to this. There will be fewer subscriptions if they allowed 1 house per shard per account.

I'm not opposed to a Classic Shard, and I may be interested in checking it out if it were to come to fruition. However, unless it can be proven that it will significantly increase EA's profit margin, I don't see it happening.

As far as folks that are still going to be hard charging in promoting this concept, please do alot more than the same half dozen folks. It's going to take much more than that, at least hundreds to effect this change.

Finally, in all fairness for those who are championing the Classic Shard, if the first two can be accomplished with the empirical evidence to support the claims, I will be on your bandwagon as well.

O

Old Man of UO

Pretty much everything has been said that can be said, on both sides of this argument, and a few things were said that should not have been.

The Developers have read what they wanted of this thread. It is up to them where it goes from here.

LadyNico

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I voted no.

I'd just much rather have a Siege ruleset shard with a European based server.

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Pretty much everything has been said that can be said, on both sides of this argument, and a few things were said that should not have been.

The Developers have read what they wanted of this thread. It is up to them where it goes from here.
Entirely true.

However, as long as people agitate for a custom rules shard, others are going to have to agitate against it. Sadly, on the Internet it's rarely, if ever, enough to just state the pros and cons and leave it there for the powers-that-be to decide. Often times it's the last words spoken that carry the day, regardless of merit.

Those of us opposed can't possibly hope to be the last word, of course, because we can't possibly match the intensity of the supporters! But it's our obligation to keep the arguments out there in the mix, so that the supporters cannot reign unopposed.

Sadly we slacked off for awhile, and I think the result will be a custom-rules shard introduced with or shortly after SA.....With the predictable results that I've outlined in this thread many times now. In other words, I'm pretty sure I wind up on the "losing" side of this one.

Of course, if my anti-custom-rules arguments are incorrect, my being on the "losing" side would be a good thing, and I'd be glad to be wrong. I feel this is unlikely, however.

Either way, we'll see.

-Galen's player

xantier

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i missed the days which we were waiting for moongates and trammel-felluca moon phases.. i love role playing... i love british's beta-test murderer.. I love age of Richard Garriott on UO..

S

Sergul'zan_SP

I vote an emphatic yes. As one who quit UO because the developers added insult to injury when they stepped up to the plate to fix (or more accurately: destroy ) factions based on the input of zerg guilds, I would only return if there was a pre-AoS classic shard implemented. I don't care what era, just before items became the sole purpose of UO.

There is a decent bit of revenue available in such an implementation...remember that there are many players on things we can't speak of here, and even more such as myself who never went to those but have many accounts UO lost.

From most of these posts though, it appears people are content with the ever declining population in a failed world that is post-AoS UO. Fine by me too...saves me money.

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD LOCK THIS ******** THREAD. IT IS NOTHING BUT A BACK AND FOURTH DEBATE THAT HAS BEEN HAPPENING FOR THE BETTER PART OF 10 YEARS.

S

Sergul'zan_SP

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD LOCK THIS ******** THREAD. IT IS NOTHING BUT A BACK AND FOURTH DEBATE THAT HAS BEEN HAPPENING FOR THE BETTER PART OF 10 YEARS.
Wow...a debate going on for the better part of ten years? Seems to me you'd think people were rather adamant about it if the argument has been sustained for sooo long. Maybe they shouldn't lock the thread...maybe they should consider the topic?

Then again, looking at their track record since 2003...it will be largely ignored like most other reasonable (and profitable) requests have been.

My predictions for SA:

1. New ARTIFACT drops so people can WIN and BROKERS can prosper!!!!
2. New lands to further disperse the already sparse population of UO!!!!
3. New gargoyles that will completely break and further imbalance the PvP system!!!
4. New crafting capabilities that won't take the latest ARTIFACTS into consideration!!!

Yay! Bring it!

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
visit www.imanewbie.com and see what UO really is..
You must, of course, be referring to attempting to roleplay with random passers-by and being greeted by "u suk" and a string of E-bolts.

That's what's in those cartoons, and that was the reality. Any memories to the contrary are just rose-colored lenses.

Besides, didn't the site go down some months ago?

-Galen's player

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
people are adamant they they do it, and people are adamant that they don't do it, look at the poll. They will not and should not do something that will satisfy some of the people and make the other half unhappy. Besides, the half of the people that do want it can't even agree on a ruleset.

I for one do not want to see a preaos shard, as much as i loved preaos i do not want to see anymore shards lose population, if they would close about 5 shards then so be it.

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wow...a debate going on for the better part of ten years? Seems to me you'd think people were rather adamant about it if the argument has been sustained for sooo long. Maybe they shouldn't lock the thread...maybe they should consider the topic?
Lots of people keep talking about settled things.

I am told that in France, many people, a minority to be sure but still "many" in some sense, support a return to the hereditary monarchy.

UO has had Trammel for most of its history. UO has had Age of Shadows, also, for most of its history.

These facts will have different meanings to different people, but that they are facts cannot be denied. Well, not denied and remain consistent with reality, anyway.

Age of Shadows: http://www.uo.com/ageofshadows/faq.html
February 2003. 6 years and several months ago. UO itself first came out in September 1997, according to the wikipedia. 5 years and a few months without AoS, 6 years and a few months with it.

UO:R (Trammel) came out in 2000.

And besides, we know they have looked at the topic because they have spoken about it. ("They" means the UO team.) There's no real agreement on what era to use for a custom shard, and definitely no agreement about how much post-launch work it'd take. Some of you all say they expect and want no bug fixes or development work, some of you say that no one's said that even though they have.

*shrugs*

I'm still pretty sure you all are gonna win this. All I can do after that is hope I'm wrong, 'cos if I'm right it's gonna be a money-sucking disaster.

-Galen's player

C

Connor_Graham

I am told that in France, many people, a minority to be sure but still "many" in some sense, support a return to the hereditary monarchy.
That's because they figure it's easier for one person to make the decision to surrender than it is for a large group. :thumbsup:

S

Sergul'zan_SP

people are adamant they they do it, and people are adamant that they don't do it, look at the poll. They will not and should not do something that will satisfy some of the people and make the other half unhappy.
ROFL!!!! Imagine if the incompetent designers had listened to your advice Pre-AoS...we wouldn't even be having this argument!

Lord_Puffy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Funny, I am not tryng to be disrespectful, I appreciate your post.. but the first thing that popped into my head was, "Wow, that will REALLY make it a classic shard then" :)

I can remember begging for months to years to have things changed in old UO, and rarely getting an answer :p It is all part of the MMO process.

It would make me feel right at home to have that happen again, as dumb as it sounds ;)

I think a lot of people are confused here, we are not, or at least I am not, asking for a PK run type server. Lets not fool ourselves, the Dread Lord days lasted less than a year, it was quite evident early on that this play style could not support the game in the long term.

I agree with stat loss, I feel it adds a sense of realism to the art of PKing. You are risking something this way, and only the skilled and brave will do well under stat loss..

I simply want a server that does not require anything AoS related. Pub 16? fine, UO:R? Fine.. Summer 1998 rule set? Fine.

Ever heard of a game called World of Warcraft? They actually update their game and listen to their players.

This whole thread has a whole 500 people who actually voted, its been up for 2 months or so now. The game is dead people... I hate to say it, but its over. :cursing:

And just think to all the people who think that SA is going to bring a ton of new life to the game, YOUR WRONG it wont be sold in stores or have any shelf presence. It will be sold via word of mouth through a digital download. awesome huh?!

thats my 2 cents on the matter

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
ROFL!!!! Imagine if the incompetent designers had listened to your advice Pre-AoS...we wouldn't even be having this argument!
Touche! I hardly do anything in trammel, but i do believe that without adding something like trammel, the game may be already dead and gone.

S

Sergul'zan_SP

I don't really oppose the addition of Trammel. The game still worked fine well after it was added, and also brought a host of new players who were largely uninterested in PvP. Regardless of many claims to the contrary, the world was still Ultima Online after Trammel was added....it was Age of Shadows that completely changed the mechanics of the game.

The Siege ruleset is designed to be for those who oppose the existence of Trammel (yes, I played there too..). One can see from logging on to that shard that Age of Shadows has decimated the quality of PvP as a whole (no Trammel and the quality of play is still mediocre at best). Siege has a fine group of people on it, but like the other shards it is growing smaller by the day.

Kaleb

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nothing was wrong with tram the idea was great, How they went about adding tram was wrong. With the 2 rulesets merged into one shard it created unbalance between PvP and PvM fix one nerf the other vice versa.

H

HerculesSAS

I know I'm bumping a thread that has since died down -- but I felt the need because honestly, a few things need to get cleared up.

First and foremost -- not that many oldschool UO players still frequent Stratics. If there was some advertising to see what kind of interest would be there for a classic UO server, I think the response would be overwhelming.

The greatest success in a freeshard is IPY, which was destroyed due to some politics and then devolved into Divinity. Divinity has a good ruleset, and if we add statloss to that (a must, unless we want a gankgame) I think that's great. I think that's the purest form of the game.

Anyway... I am an oldschool UO player and now am married with a kid on the way. We've mostly started as teenagers playing UO, and now we are older and more mature with lots of responsibilities and time investments elsewhere. And still, 10+ years later after this game released, I *STILL* want a classic server.

There was no game on this earth made yet that fulfills the exhiliaration of PvP that UO gave, with the skill involved to PvP, the teamwork, the fluidity, the dungeons that people vied to farm and were always contested -- it was just a lot of fun. After 10+ years, I can still say this. Lots of others can too, and the vast majority of them don't even have a voice in this fight because they don't go onto Stratics any more.

Bring back a classic server, and I assure you that the server will be full, profitable, and fun. Every old player I know, every old player I meet, we all long for the days that UO brought us and if it came back in an official capacity, we'd be there to be a part of it all over again.

S

Satzumi

They dont have the code anymore lol. No developer just throws away code xD
every company use porgramms like source save.

J

Just Emma

I said "yes" - not because I would play a classic shard, but because I believe it would be good to have that option available for anyone who feels they would be happier on a classic shard.

M

Merriweather

Do you know what a ghost dance is? Native Americans facing the loss of their culture and tradition and knowing of no way to effectively fight the encroaching whites conducted ceremonies in an effort to bring back the past, the buffalo, the customs and beliefs, the way of life of an era that was dead or dying. It didn't work.

How much energy are you going to expend on this?