• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Do You Want A Classic Shard??

Do you want a Classic UO shard?

• Total voters
V

Vortimer

Yes or no to a classic UO shard.

Hopefully the devs will take notice if we can get enough interest in this!!

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Can I suggest adding a couple of options?

1) Pre AOS (has t2a/tram/ish/swampies)
2) Pre UOR (has t2a only, optional - skill/stats lock, housing security)

To refresh people's memory, the order of the expansions are:

The second Age (added the t2a lands)
Renaissance (added trammel)
3rd Dawn (added ilshenar)
Lord British's Revenge (no new lands, added fugly graphics, but has swampies)
Age of Shadows (added malas)
Samurai Empire (added tokuno)
Mondain's Legacy (added heartwood and elves)

F

Fox (Europa)

Not this carp again. The reasons it won't happen have been explained a 100 times and yet people still want to flog this dead horse. Just get used to it and move on.

O

Old Man of UO

Not this carp again. The reasons it won't happen have been explained a 100 times and yet people still want to flog this dead horse. Just get used to it and move on.
I think you meant CRAP... who wants to split Developers time on a THIRD shard rule set? I don't.

L

Lord Patapon

It wouldn't need much resources to update it, for the simple reason that it won't move any further than a specific era (pre UO:R or pre AOS).

It's cool, it brings back a few players to EA, and doesn't need much resources to handle, because it doesn't need to get updates for new content.

edit: oh ... and if this question comes back a lot through the years ... well, maybe it's just because there's an important demand for it. Just a thought.
(and no, it's not just a bunch of whiners ... whiners come and go, but this question about the classic shard remains : why ?)

AaronTheAssassin

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
1) Pre AOS (has t2a/tram/ish/swampies)
2) Pre UOR (has t2a only, optional - skill/stats lock, housing security)

...Lord British's Revenge (no new lands, added fugly graphics, but has swampies)...
I would like a Pre-UOR with some add-ons...like wrestling moves...thats about it.

And isnt it Lord Blackthorn's Revenge? you silly man!

F

Fox (Europa)

It wouldn't need much resources to update it, for the simple reason that it won't move any further than a specific era (pre UO:R or pre AOS).

It's cool, it brings back a few players to EA, and doesn't need much resources to handle, because it doesn't need to get updates for new content.
Completely wrong. For the 1 millionth time here is why there won't be a pre-anything shard...

1. The devs have said they didn't keep the old source code and so would need to re-engineer a lot to build a pre-anything shard. Plus they would have to reverse engineer loads of bug fixes. Resources for this they simply don't have.

2. The devs have said they don't have the resources to maintain a 3rd code-base. And, no, it couldn't just be dumped out and left.

3. There would only be people enough for one server and so most of the world would have a crap ping. This is a big killer for a shard that would be a lot about PvP.

4. There aren't enough players on the existing shards and opening another would just spread the existing players around even more thinly. Don't forget: there are zero new players coming to UO, in fact the numbers are less every day.

5. Every single time this is asked about at town halls and on the boards the devs have said that this will not happen. They have done several surveys and there just isn't the money in it.

6. There are a relatively few interested in a pre-anything shard. Why should the rest have their subscriptions wasted on it?

7. No two players can agree exactly pre-what a shard should be. So only a percentage of the small number who want a pre-anything shard would be pleased with it anyway.

8. If you want to play pre-something then go find a free shard.

What happened to the mods deleting posts about pre-anything to stop people wasting their time with this?

Maplestone

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Because (even if a clean copy of the source code could be found) obviously there have been no dupes or game-breaking bugs discovered that date back that far? Because there obviously have been no infrastructure changes have ever happened since then? Because nobody would ever then ask for "oh, can't we just change X or tweak Y for balance"? Because nobody would then say "you gave us a publish 14.1 shard, why not a publish 15.2 ... that will really kick the football".

I don't want to spoil the dream (because it is a cool idea to have a contrast to the modern game), but I don't think the supporters are being realistic about the difficulty ... and that makes me wonder if they are being realistic about how much they would enjoy it.

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would like a Pre-UOR with some add-ons...like wrestling moves...thats about it.

And isnt it Lord Blackthorn's Revenge? you silly man!
Lol whoops my bad, first thing that came to mind for LBR was lord british and not blackthorn haha

The reason I suggested the options was to get a better feel of what people are thinking of. I feel that it's important to have the right expectations, or people will be disappointed. Like what exactly are people's idea of a classic shard.

Secondly don't expect it to be cheat free, you won't have arties or val hammers to dupe, but silver vanq weapons/regs/gold/castle deeds will be the order of the day.

Simply restoring the pre UOR image from backup tapes onto a new box will mean tons of bugs/exploits and will not work.

As to the code base, I am thinking along the lines of disabling the new content akin to what they have in place with what expansion the accounts are enabled for. Except that it will be shard based. So, base code would be the same, but with malas disabled, tokuno disabled, trammel disabled etc.

It'll still be alot of work, so even if the concept is approved, it's not going to be implemented immediately.

A prototype that lasts a couple of months would be advisable to roughly gauge how popular this would be before committing.

Also, Maplestone has a point, what if people says "You gave us the Fel ruleset, why not champion and scrolls?" Or vice versa "We want pre UOR, we didn't ask for no powerscrolls". Or why did the regular shards get virtue arties? You should give us something equally cool.

R

RichDC

I voted no simply because im hoping if enough people say no then there will be no more posts like this!!!

Besides yes the current game has flaws but too much has changed now its like taking the game of football (im uk i mean proper football (soccer) not your yanks sissy rugby :p sorry couldnt resist!!!) back 50 years where there were no subs allowed at all!!people had to play with broken arms/legs etc and usually ended there careers in one game (and on occasion there lives)!!! or boxing were there was no limits to rounds and people dying in the ring was considered "unfortunate"!!

I miss the games idk how to describe it but i miss that, but i still love playing the game as it currently is! Rather than living for the past look to the future!!! (or leave!)

weins201

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
All the original rulles are still used there (mostly) no insurance. Of course alot of the items now in game are there also but basic ruleset is still clasic.

:lame::bdh::lame::bdh::please::bdh::please::bdh::bdh:

O

Old Man of UO

All the original rulles are still used there (mostly) no insurance. Of course alot of the items now in game are there also but basic ruleset is still clasic.

:lame::bdh::lame::bdh::please::bdh::please::bdh::bdh:
Actually, ALL the rules have changed and they are NOT the same. Where is the Enticement skill? Item ID? Many new skills were added, along with simple things like titles. Many skills now have 120 skill scrolls and all calculations are now based on that. Poisoning and potions have changed so much few people remember what they originally were. Item properties did not look anything at all like what we have now. I suppose you want the 3D client, too?

Don't waste Developers' time on this. This would add significant development time to any new game event or addition... or would you forgo any new content just to have your "Classic Shard?" People would soon quit if they got no new content.

I reminisce about the old days too, but not enough to expect EA to set up a new shard just for the few who would play it. Siege is as close as you will ever get to a Classic Shard.

C

Connor_Graham

No, and I wish the Mods would do as they've said they're supposed to and lock these classic shard threads that have been popping up daily of late. Isn't this supposed to be against the rules on this board?

R

RichDC

Maybe if we all start F*ing and blinding slagging each other off an accsuing people of hacking we can get it closed really quick :p

O

Old Man of UO

WOW... looks like the post count is up to 13 people who would be willing to pay-to-play a 'Classic Shard." Wonder how many of those 13 would agree on the rule-set for the shard?

Kaleb

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I already play a "classic" shard. I think if they ever do a classic shard they should do a couple in every timezone 1-felucia based, 1- trammie based none that are both tram and fel as we have now.

O

Old Man of UO

I already play a "classic" shard. I think if they ever do a classic shard they should do a couple in every timezone 1-felucia based, 1- trammie based none that are both tram and fel as we have now.
I don't disagree with what you are saying, but that would just increase the complexity and developers' time. Would you also want new content?

Kaleb

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No to me a classic shard should only be felucia based but you cant please everyone. All you would have to do is make one copy,paste into other servers, it wouldnt be fair to force someone from the west to play on servers based on the east coast or vice versa, not so much for the tram servers but the felucia based ones ping is key.

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

I voted yes, of course.

I just love how all the 'No Classic Shard' people want to silence those of us that do want a classic shard.

I guess if there is a classic shard, you will have less people to look at your neon uber rares on the current shards?

T

Turdnugget

Those voting no want more time for devs to create more pixel crack.

If the devs don't have the old source code why not get it from those that run free shards? They seem to have it with easy access.

Connor, why is posting about wanting a classic shard against the rules here?

C

Connor_Graham

Those voting no want more time for devs to create more pixel crack.
I voted no, but I voted that way because I'd rather the Devs spend their time and resources moving forward and not looking back.

Connor, why is posting about wanting a classic shard against the rules here?
Ask the Mods. It's been that way for a long time now.

A

Aboo

I voted yes, of course.

I just love how all the 'No Classic Shard' people want to silence those of us that do want a classic shard.

I guess if there is a classic shard, you will have less people to look at your neon uber rares on the current shards?
I just love how some people lump EVERYONE who disagrees with them into one group. I voted no but I don't have any "neon uber rares" for people to look at. And I can't figure out how "neon uber rares" has anything to do with not wanting a classic shard. *scratches head*

I think it would be a waste of time and resources. Look at Felucca now, it's a deserted place probably 90% of the time. Where are all those who want a classic shard playing now?

T

Turdnugget

There wouldn't be need for new content with a classic shard... invul armor, vanq weapons, running around in a kilt and sandals killing people. That's all we need.

No need for new expansions/items. It's called 'classic' for a reason. We don't need all the pixel crack post-AoS addicts need.

T

Turdnugget

Those who left UO who want a classic shard play on FREE classic servers.

Would it really hurt UO looking back at a Classic server if it brought back more players to UO who actually enjoyed that time in UO? I don't see how new expansions/items/content is going to bring back old players, only new players who are getting into MMORPGs or have heard about UO and want to give it a shot.

I don't see how new expansions are going to further the player base. It's stating to become more like WoW/EQ. If I wanted to play a game that was soley item based, I would play one of those or Lineage II which has better graphics. I've enjoyed UO over the years for it's versitality and level of fun and skill that it takes.

UO no longer really takes skill. Just the right equipment. Classic servers take skill. Something that modern day UO lacks.

A

Aboo

. . . I don't see how new expansions are going to further the player base. It's stating to become more like WoW/EQ. . .
Interesting comparison. Although I never played WoW I did play EQ and I hated it. It just didn't compare to the diversity that UO offers.

L

Lord GOD(GOD)

I think "classic" is relative to when you started.
I don't think there will be much agreement on a definition of it, so I vote no.

D

Der Rock

I voted yes, of course.

it is more because those "classic- crap" people has damaged the game to much so far
5 of ure kind let 100 other people quit the game.

M

Mr.Fernandes

If by classic you mean 2nd age and thats it, then ther are already a solid dozen private servers offering that very gameplay experience for free. It is inexplicable to me why so many people seem keen to pay for something they can have at no cost. Similarly, I see no good reason to spend limited developer time on creating as service that someone else is already providing.

Personally, I tried those servers and chose to come back here and start paying for the game again instead, becuase I LIKE the ultima that actaully has more than one useful PvP build. There are times when I miss the pre-trammel experience, true, but there are ALSO days when I like being able to leave town withtout rounding up a possy of a dozen guild-mates. and of course, if you want to ditch Trammel (and item insurence with it) there's SP for that.

If what you meen is a server with no pink-haired, yellow-sword wielding sorts, then I can certainly see the appeal of THAT plan. I'm not sure its worth the troulbe of creating another server for, though.

M

Mr.Fernandes

Would it really hurt UO looking back at a Classic server if it brought back more players to UO who actually enjoyed that time in UO? I don't see how new expansions/items/content is going to bring back old players, only new players who are getting into MMORPGs or have heard about UO and want to give it a shot.

I don't see how new expansions are going to further the player base. It's stating to become more like WoW/EQ. If I wanted to play a game that was soley item based, I would play one of those or Lineage II which has better graphics. I've enjoyed UO over the years for it's versitality and level of fun and skill that it takes.

UO no longer really takes skill. Just the right equipment. Classic servers take skill. Something that modern day UO lacks.
If they're getting ti for free elsewhere, why would they PAY for the exact same play experience here, assuming it was offered?

Also, if gear is your problem, then surely the full-loot shores of Siege Perilous are the solution. Why eliminate all the added build options that come with new skills and new features of old ones? Surely a wider variety of viable templates is GOOD for the "diversity", and "skill based" play that you say you love.

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

Yep.

I have resisted this myself. But I guess if EA doesn't want my money, I could cancel my 3 accounts and move to a free shard.

Setnaffa

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How many times do we have to :bdh:?

- The devs have said they won't and can't do this.
- You really want to pull devs away from the regular shards and have them working on a "classic" shard?
- Players can't even agree what "classic" is
- Are the players who want this forgetting all the problems we've had in the past? It's not like a "classic" shard was a panacea of game play.
- I found the pre-whatever UO boring after about 6 months.

A

Aboo

Yep.

I have resisted this myself. But I guess if EA doesn't want my money, I could cancel my 3 accounts and move to a free shard.
Yep I guess you can. Just like if I don't like the game for my type of game play I could cancel my 7 accounts but I don't. I have played since Day One and I have rolled with all the changes whether I liked them or not. I will continue to do so.

Setnaffa

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Where is the I don't care option?
So true. That is why this vote is invalid. the only people who really care are those who want a "classic" shard. Those that don't care or don't want one probably won't even bother voting. So even though the "no" vote is ahead, the actual "no" or "don't care" vote is much higher.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
My vote is no as you forgot a defination of the shard. It seem like noone can agree about the defination on this forum.

All find UO was best the year they started.
All have different opinion of what they are willing to give up.

I sure have a shard in my mind I would love to play on but I'm sure it is different from the one you ask for.

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

Where is the I don't care option?
I wish more people who wouldn't play on a classic shard would take that attitude.

I see people saying "well it takes the devs away from this or that" but in some players opinions, the this or that the devs are working on are not something we are interested in.

But rather than complain, as Aboo said, we roll with the changes. Yet, when some of us want content in the form of a classic shard, others cannot simply go 'ok...we have gotten tons of post-UO:R and post-AoS content that has more or less ruined this game for a certain population of the player base, I don't care if they work on this one thing that I won't use'.

I don't think any of the pro-pre:UOR posters are suggesting that the devs abandon current shards, or that they stop work on SA, or anything like that. I know I am not.

I think a pre-Ren or "classic" server can co-exist with the other shards just fine. Sure, it might take the devs away from making some new set of ultra rare overpowered items that they were going to dump into the game next month, but really...is that so important that it should take priority over an opportunity for so many players to have a choice in their play-style?

I would not want anyone to be forced to play classic shards. I would not advocate for the current shards to be reverted to pre-UO:R, or even pre-AoS. There are too many players that get enjoyment out of that type of game. I just wish that some of those that are against the idea of a classic shard would understand that what you are essentially saying is that you want everything, and you want those that want something different to have nothing.

D

Dor of Sonoma

I can understand why some folk would vote 'Yes' for a UO:Classic shard (I did)...but fail to grasp why anyone would vote against it.

Pray enlighten me as to how and why the existance of such a shard would negatively impact you, naysayers :)

O

Old Man of UO

I can understand why some folk would vote 'Yes' for a UO:Classic shard (I did)...but fail to grasp why anyone would vote against it.

Pray enlighten me as to how and why the existance of such a shard would negatively impact you, naysayers :)
1) dilutes player base on other existing shards
2) reduces Developers time available for making game and content improvements on other existing shards
3) increases overall costs to keep the game running

this is all I could think of at the moment

sablestorm

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Well that depends. Will the classic shard remain as it is with no new content? Or will the Devs have to expend time implementing things like event content on yet another sever with a different ruleset? If it is the later, then it affects us.

M

MatrixCubed

Okay, so why was Siege made in the first place? Yeah, exactly...problem is those of us that would like a 'classic' (pre pub 16) can't even get that experience from Siege now that everyone one there is joining factions for the uber items. And isn't that the whole problem? Isn't that why some of us 'old schoolers' are disenchanted? The game was truly about skill not items...that's all we really want...7x skills..everybody has access to the same equipment...no super rich we control all the ps's & items guilds and players. A classic shard would be a lot less work than trying to keep inventing new pixel crack for the 'newbies'. (Read 'newbies' as anyone post Pub 16) yeah and I have six accounts I pay for and have almost since the beginning. I spent a lot of money on this game over the years, enough so that I should get a classic shard as a reward for my loyalty. And the reason we don't have a larger palyer base is no one other than the existing players has heard of UO. EA hasn't spent dollar one on advertising UO in at least 8 years! As far as Statics...I rarely come here like 3/4 of the UO players...EA send em's to all your account holders and poll whether we'd like a classic shard...let's not leave it to the same old posters on some minimally read threads....Okay..let the sh*t fly!

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

Look at it like this, if Stratics posters make up a cross section of UO players, then the poll here should tell anyone that almost half the UO players want a classic shard.

That's a pretty telling poll.

Imagine if half of the players from every shard left those shards and started playing on a classic shard! You might actually see another player more than a few times a day at a bank, or in a dungeon!

I don't think that half of the entire UO population would actually move to a classic shard, but if even 1/10 of the UO players did, it would be the busiest shard EA owns. Not to mention all of the old players that would return if they had a shard like this.

I cannot see how EA can afford to not create a classic shard.

L

Lord Drakelord

I voted no as it is not going to happen, the only way you see anything close to it is on Siege.

Tom_Builder

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would just like to see a skill based shard. I will always like that better then the item based game we have now.

I see Supreem voted no, guess he doesnt want to do all the work!!

Tom

L

Lord Drakelord

the only way you see anything close to it is on Siege.
Siege is not close to it at all.

It is not just about the lack of Trammel. It is much more than that.
the title says Classic Shard, and to me that means before UO-R, my birth into UO. There was no Trammel then, and all I heard from those folks in game that day, when I was walking around with my "young" tag, was how good it was to sit at a bank and not worry about thiefs.

S

Saris

fine make a beta era server, oh and them free shard are lucky to have 65 ppl at peak, a old style one can have as low as 1

not sopposed to talky about them but ******* it, however how bout SA been a long time since last exp and subs are lower becuase of it, we need to change or ppl get bored, meat goes bad, water turns foul, ect.

We should be worried about future changes and stop trying to live in the past. You dont like the rulset ask for it to be changed but dont just copy a sever era 1997 cause nostalga dont make EA cash.

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

the title says Classic Shard, and to me that means before UO-R, my birth into UO. There was no Trammel then, and all I heard from those folks in game that day, when I was walking around with my "young" tag, was how good it was to sit at a bank and not worry about thiefs.
Yep. There would be thieves. PKs too.

That's why some people wouldn't play on a classic shard. Some people won't play on Siege. Doesn't mean it shouldn't exist.