• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Do You Want A Classic Shard??

Do you want a Classic UO shard?

• Total voters
E

Evlar

Do you know what a ghost dance is? Native Americans facing the loss of their culture and tradition and knowing of no way to effectively fight the encroaching whites conducted ceremonies in an effort to bring back the past, the buffalo, the customs and beliefs, the way of life of an era that was dead or dying. It didn't work.

How much energy are you going to expend on this?
So you're suggesting that giving up is a good thing right?

We liked the game as was before certain changes. We would like an option to revisit that "era", or something as close to is as possible. It might happen, but it might not. On the basis that it "might not", we should just give up and go away?

On the same basis, with the current player base, substantially smaller than bygone years and likely continuing to shrink (likely in the face of the "encroaching whites" of a much bigger MMO market today, or any number of reasons...), Why do you keep playing... Why don't you just give up... playing a game essentially from an era that's "dead or dying"? (Compared to "modern" MMO's).

See what I did there?

"How much energy are you going to expend on this?"

Just as much as the people apparently "happy" with the current production shards, yet fill the boards with whimsical demands, complaints and issues.

:popcorn:

HD2300

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
^^ Petra is right. It is the same old same old over and over again since March last year.

Some spammer quotes...

XYZ: You burst onto the scene here in U.Hall just a couple of months ago and you just won't let up with this campaign. It seems to me that if you want to persist in using U.Hall as your preferred channel for getting the developers' attention on this issue
Classic Spammer: XYZ gets it.
Classic Spammer: I have no desire to pursue a career in game development. It is unstable and the pay is not on par with legitimate development or administration jobs. No thanks.
Another Classic Spammer: EA turning the wellbeing of their game over to stratics was the WORST idea ever. I'm a markeXXXXX dragXXXXXX founder, and long time reader of UOforums, both of which hate stratics for solid reasons, I also hate this place and still feel dirty being here, they have done nothing but build a negative rep since their get go almost. but alas, I'm forced to be here because they are now the gateway to the devs and such. sad, but hey, nothing I can do.
Now what are 2 main differences between a Classic Freeshard and a EA Classic shard?
1. Freeshards are free
2. Freeshard dont allow RMT. i.e. you cant sell stuff for money

Which makes me wonder WHY?? Why would a Classic spammer spend all this time spamming, like 16 months, for so long, when they can already play what they want exactly for free?

Hannes Erich

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The greatest success in a freeshard is ***, which was destroyed due to some politics and then devolved into ********. ******** has a good ruleset, and if we add statloss to that (a must, unless we want a gankgame) I think that's great. I think that's the purest form of the game.
It is against the rules (on Stratics and in UO) to mention free shards by name.

Free shards are crap. The last time I visited one (a big popular one, a few years after I'd unsubscribed from UO), I logged out after a few hours and resubscribed to the real thing, the official Ultima Online. Now, here I am. Where everything works. Because it's not a cheap, volunteer-maintained clone.

That's what free shards did for me. Made me want to resubscribe to the real thing. Go free shards! rolleyes:

(P.S. And even though I'm happy with what the game has evolved into, I voted yes to a classic shard. Different people have different tastes, I respect that. It wouldn't replace Atlantic for me, but I'd definitely have characters on it.)

Demonous

Rares Fest Host | Ches Jul 2010
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i really don't understand why 196 people voted No to having a classic shard, if you don't want to play it then don't, doesn't mean u have to vote against it, If EA had us vote if we wanted the Origin shard put it when it was put in I would have voted yes even though i never planned to play on it. I definitely would play on the classic shard, if it ever does come out I would never pvp again on any other shard but the classic shard, PvP has gotten out of hand from times of the past where u have these mystic mages abusing the overpoweredness of spell plague and other spells, tamer archers who call themselves good pvpers, archers in general who call themselves good pvpers, what happened to being a mage or a necro mage and thats it, what happened to being a dexxer or a chiv dexxer and thats it, too many cheezy templates that people discover and abuse. No thanks, id rather go back to the days when i can run around naked on a horse with a GM made double axe and still kill people

Y

Yen Sid

i really don't understand why 196 people voted No to having a classic shard, if you don't want to play it then don't, doesn't mean u have to vote against it, If EA had us vote if we wanted the Origin shard put it when it was put in I would have voted yes even though i never planned to play on it
The question in the poll isn't if there should be a "classic shard," it is, "Do you want a Classic UO shard" And a lot of people don't want one. They aren't saying don't bother making one by voting no.

I personally don't want one so I vote no, but that doesn't mean I don't want there to be one for other people if they want it so badly.

Kas Althume

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No!

Don't waste my cash on a shard that will die quickly after the hype is gone ..
There is barely enough support for the existing servers. Don't split the team even more.

UO back then was a different game and it will NEVER be the same again. The playerbase has changed to much. Noone of the friends i used to play with 10 years ago will play again. Those were the people that made UO worth playing. Nowadays UO is full of big mouthed kids, greedy ****s and cheaters.

lucitus

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hmm 50 / 50 and the question is are the 50% happy with that or this version of the classic shard? For others classic means another things than for me. And is this high development cost and resources on it bringing so much more income?

You dont have to think about the many players playing in the past, you cannot create a PreAoS Shard and think all players will comming back. I for myself would not leave my main shard, maby i would check it out, but i will never give it up, the here and now UO. Maybe we can make Siege a bit more interesting more vibrant, more usefull but also harder to play...