• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

(Dev Feedback): FACTS about cannons and ships

Arcus

Grand Poobah
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This booster will be as dead as training in the bone knight room by the middle of next month.
You keep saying that. so put your money where your mouth is . $1000 bet right now in public.

Put up or shut up. Im dead serious.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
Chill, my Uhall friends...

Widow Maker

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
After putting some time into this expansion, I am going to have to agree with the OP.

Manufacturing for this expansion is FAR overboard on the silly side. The net loss of Pirating will assuredly lead to a rapid downsizing of the player base using it in a relatively short time span.

Don't get me wrong, it is a VERY nice idea, just poorly implemented and ...shock of shocks... It looks like these exact points were vociferiously espoused during the beat testing without the Dev team paying proper attention to the testers. Blinders are only good in horse racing.

:popcorn:

Skrag

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Devs pay attention you have trampled on the realm of easy mode and order must be restored immediately! You guys should have learned by now that the gamers in uo don't want any kind of challenge. They just want more of the same shinies, the pirates should cost no more than a 100 gold to solo and they should reward twenty times that much.

Oh and new house decorations, and oh oh more neon colors, yeah and like insurance should just be cost free from now on as well, just sayin. :gee:
At no point anywhere in this discussion, over the last several days, over several different threads, has anyone complained about or even brought up the actual difficulty involved in taking down a pirate.

Cram your precious little attitude and either learn to read or go troll somewhere else.

Arcus

Grand Poobah
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
At no point anywhere in this discussion, over the last several days, over several different threads, has anyone complained about or even brought up the actual difficulty involved in taking down a pirate.

Cram your precious little attitude and either learn to read or go troll somewhere else.
So you gonna bet or what? Common man, back up some of that talk with some cold hard cash. Odds are you wont.

Skrag

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
God, is there literally something wrong with you? This is one step up from "Here is my address, come fight me IRL!"

On the bright side, I have now found one whole vendor on Atlantic selling powder charges and such. Of couse the reward for killing a pirate is 10k, and one single match to light one cannon for one shot (forget ammo and powder) is 2k, so the whole "economic viability" thing isn't really looking too good. LOL.

Martyna Zmuir

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No, I totally disagree here.
This Booster is designed differently than in the past, it is NOT about instant gratification but more on like "building up" credit and claiming it only later on, quite later on, when "enough" credit has built up.

I do not like instant gratification, it is diseducative, IMHO and gets players to always want more, more and want it yesterday, already.

And I question again whether or not you've actually played the booster. There is ONE place to 'build up credit' and that’s the fishmonger quests. That’s it. Fishing.

No 'built up credit' for bringing in pirates or taking out orc vessels. 2-10K, and the chance at a single shot of magical cannon ammunition or 1 of 8 pieces of the orc ship.

You don't even get 'credit' for killing either boss, just the chance at reward drops. (A few of which actually are rather nice items.)

But no, this booster was not designed any differently than SA was. No special magic in coding something for profit, it’s just a smaller expansion based on content people have wanted for over a decade.

This Booster has been well thought out and well designed, IMHO, with a tiered Quests system were one has to build up Quests credit to be offered higher Quests with better rewards and also in regards to Ship Battles, the Bounty Quests to track down and arrest Pirates, eventually lead to a VERY valuable reward, the Orc Galleon which is highly desired by players because of its 150% Cannon damage bonus (I reckon that one recently sold for 100 millions UO gold).
*sighs*

Wrong. Tierd quest system for fishing. That’s it, the only one. Just like several of the quests in Ter Mur.

This "very valuable" reward may have sold to one or two people for 100m, so? It’s also sold for just a few mil. I have 4 pieces of the ship already, it’s not exactly hard to come by. The super-d-duper "reward" hasn't even made it into the game yet due to the rush, and it may never see the light of a Britannian day.

So, there is no loss, only it is that there is no instant gratification. Powerscrolls come, Orc Galleon comes, only they come later on, after the players have built up enough Quests and credit.
This Booster was not about instant gratification and I applaude this Design choice.
Is "instant gratification" your new "team"? People aren't asking for their packs and bank boxes to overflow with 1mil checks and artifacts when they step foot on the sea market. They're asking that the reward (specifically for pirate ships) be commensurate to their outlay of resources and time. Who wants to go out on a bounty and spend more money doing it than they could possibly hope to make in return?

That’s simple economics, the equation must balance.

And before you go on about the orc ship again as the "reward," I must tell you that’s a self-defeating road. If that ship is the big reward, then when everyone has one in a week or two, what’s to keep them hunting pirates?

Skrag

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's been a pretty hilarious weekend hereabouts, mostly thanks to Popps.

"Pirate bounties shouldn't be less than it costs to catch a pirate."
"WHY DO YOU WANT TO SOLO EVERYTHING?"
"What? That isn't what I said."
"WHY DO YOU WANT INFINITE GOLD AND ARTIES FROM IT?"
"Huh?"

Dakkon Blackblade

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Way to miss the point and look at something I put near the very end of the post, you win five internets. You don't want any challenge period, don't pretend like I didn't get you because you think you are so deep.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
On the bright side, I have now found one whole vendor on Atlantic selling powder charges and such. Of couse the reward for killing a pirate is 10k, and one single match to light one cannon for one shot (forget ammo and powder) is 2k, so the whole "economic viability" thing isn't really looking too good. LOL.

The real reward comes with time and it is well worth the effort with what Orc ship parts are worth not to mention the Orc Galleon going from 50 to 100 millions and fishing powerscrolls going for tens of millions.

If these rewards are worthless then I do not know what would be worth the effort.......

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And I question again whether or not you've actually played the booster. There is ONE place to 'build up credit' and that’s the fishmonger quests. That’s it. Fishing.

No 'built up credit' for bringing in pirates or taking out orc vessels. 2-10K, and the chance at a single shot of magical cannon ammunition or 1 of 8 pieces of the orc ship.
Since making an Orc Galleon requires various deeds, to me that is moreless like the building up of credit.

Meaning, it is done over time, building up the effort towards a final result....

Is "instant gratification" your new "team"? People aren't asking for their packs and bank boxes to overflow with 1mil checks and artifacts when they step foot on the sea market. They're asking that the reward (specifically for pirate ships) be commensurate to their outlay of resources and time. Who wants to go out on a bounty and spend more money doing it than they could possibly hope to make in return?

That’s simple economics, the equation must balance.

Some reading I found interesting [http://vboards.stratics.com/uhall/2...t-cannons-ships-post1840699.html#post1840699]..........

And before you go on about the orc ship again as the "reward," I must tell you that’s a self-defeating road. If that ship is the big reward, then when everyone has one in a week or two, what’s to keep them hunting pirates?

That's the problem with item based games, once the game saturates with a given item comes the need for another and then another and then another in an endless, meaningless vicious circle................

Skrag

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Way to miss the point and look at something I put near the very end of the post, you win five internets. You don't want any challenge period, don't pretend like I didn't get you because you think you are so deep.
At no point anywhere in this discussion has anyone made any reference at all to the "challenge" involved in killing a pirate or in anything else. This entire conversation has been about the economics of the situation. I don't really know what to tell you. You don't appear to know what all the words mean.

Do you understand the difference between how hard or easy something is to do, and whether or not it's worth doing? Lots of people kill Peerlesses, but not many people set out to hunt mongbats. Do you think this is because they hate the challenge of mongbats?

Should I link the dictionary? Use smaller words? You're really long on dreadfully tiresome elitist gamer attitude and deranged raving, but painfully short on reading comprehension.

The real reward comes with time and it is well worth the effort with what Orc ship parts are worth not to mention the Orc Galleon going from 50 to 100 millions and fishing powerscrolls going for tens of millions.

If these rewards are worthless then I do not know what would be worth the effort.......
Someone somewhere sold one orc ship for an insanely inflated price in the first couple days of the expansion, and you immediately switched from "YOU DON'T NEED A REWARD" to "NO WAIT THAT IS THE REWARD" without any consideration for anything else. Just in case someone more rational is reading the thread, allow me to point out the following.

1) Ruined Ship Plans are already appearing on Luna vendors for anywhere from 2.5m to as little as 800k and they're certainly not going to get any more valuable than they are now. You can cram that "50 to 100 mil" talk and start thinking more like "already down 6 to 10 mil within the first week with no reason to EVER stop falling".

2) Tokuno and Gargoyle Galleons are currently all over various Luna vendors for millions of gold. Yes, the same ones anyone can buy for a tiny fraction of that. The fact that a few orc ships have sold for hugely excessive prices in the first couple days means nothing. No one knows what anything is worth yet.

3) Orc ships are not particularly hard to obtain. Anyone willing to capture a dozen or two pirates is pretty much certain to get one. In other words, there is no good reason for orc ships to remain valuable as weeks turn into months.

In other words, this guy who supposedly paid 100m for an orc ship was horribly ripped off, and you should quit holding it up as meaning anything.

Martyna Zmuir

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Since making an Orc Galleon requires various deeds, to me that is moreless like the building up of credit.

Meaning, it is done over time, building up the effort towards a final result....

Collecting items over time is now credit?

Sorry, that analogy doesn't fly. It might if you got the orc boat plans in sequence and only one of each.. Not the RNG crapshoot it is now. The plans aren't tracked in any meaningful form, you're just grasping at straws here.

Loyalty with the Bane, Ophidian, Meer, and Zhah could conceivably be considered credit. The fishmonger quests I'll grant you, those function logically-ish.

Too bad that’s not the experience of most players. Once again I question whether or not you've even played the booster as you seem to rely on other's word and have no stories of first-hand experience. If you have them, start relying on them instead.

Especially since the above post kinda breaks your "TEAM!" diatribe.

I went out on a ship last night with six other people. The captain, who graciously supplied all the equipment and resources spent hours collecting, crafting, and transporting all the items. He made several hundred cannonballs, grapeshot, matches, fuses, and a vast supply of heavy cannon charges. Unless someone is a scripter with a resource hoard, 45mins is complete BS. (Especially since precious few of the new craftables autostack in your pack)

That's the problem with item based games, once the game saturates with a given item comes the need for another and then another and then another in an endless, meaningless vicious circle................

Yeeeees... And we've been playing UO how long now? Crying about it 13 years later is a bit silly. Its not going to miraculously change simply because you want it to. People want pixelcrack, people will always want pixelcrack.

Skrag

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
But not orc ships! Those will remain valuable forever! They're worth 100 mill-- er--- 10 million gold and surely will never go down from there! The system is fine! No other loot required! Six months from now everyone will still be able to make money farming orc ships for the infinite number of people who will always need one!

HURF!

B

Beldon

Popps, the Orc ship is selling for that much because people think Skrag is right

M

Myna

just finished another 200 heavy stuff (powder packs, fuse, and grapeshots) the painful to make matches not included, you get plenty as loot

took me 1,5 hours to make that all (almost fall asleep from all that clicking and waiting)

time to gather all the stuff not included. (a few hours just for salpeter on europa, still only available at camped sea market)

asap i got my orc ship i throw this whole crap in the recycle bin and never ever doing it again .... thx dev for this boring click-erydoo ... well i want that orc ship, just to have it ....but dont know what to do with it, lol, prolly sailing to corgul

i dont do boring fishing

maybe a few more corguls, then for me this booster is history, well you wont reach sea market anymore soon anyway, to many ships get teleported around the docks so all will be stucked together

btw. why are all pirates except captain orcs? also the merchant ones? was ist to hard to place some human/elf npcs between ... prolly

V

Voodoo990

You keep saying that. so put your money where your mouth is . $1000 bet right now in public.

Put up or shut up. Im dead serious.
Sorry but this is a bit out there, its like your taking someone putting down UO and the booster as personal attack on you. "I'm dead serious"??? It's only a game, UO is not real, you really need to get out more.

Just saying.....

Dakkon Blackblade

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
At no point anywhere in this discussion has anyone made any reference at all to the "challenge" involved in killing a pirate or in anything else. This entire conversation has been about the economics of the situation. I don't really know what to tell you. You don't appear to know what all the words mean.
Are you really this dense or what? and you accuse me of trolling? ok listen I'm going to try to simplify this even more so you can avoid vomiting the same pointless drivel onto this thread.

You don't want challenge period, that was the point of my post, not in crafting and not in mobs. In short I was calling you another whiney trammelite in an already to long line.

Did you also stop to think that not everything in the game is meant to be "profitable" what are you a corporate bean counter or something? how about the fact that it's just fun to gun down pirates or merchants?

Should I link the dictionary? Use smaller words? You're really long on dreadfully tiresome elitist gamer attitude and deranged raving, but painfully short on reading comprehension.
No no I can find the dictionary quite easily on my own, you should use smaller words for your own sake, so as not to give off the pseudo intellectual "I believe I'm smarter than I actually am" vibe.

If anything is tiresome it's the sound of your baby rattle, and the many like you that want everything just thrown at your feet. Boo hoo the devs made something somewhat challenging by adding more steps, lets all cry our eyes out on stratics until they placate us.

V

Vaelix

Time spent doing a Task does not Equate to Challenge.. Blackblade

There is nothing.. Challenging about Loading up 8 Crafting Skills and Making a Ton of Items..

There is nothing Challenging about Clicking your Mouse over and over again.

And there is Honestly little required thinking to involve yourself in the 'End Game' of this booster..

Again.. a Task taking forever to accomplish does not equate to challenge.

V

Vaelix

Btw Blackblade, If you had actually read .. any.. of this thread..

You would realize that, As it has been stated before, The complaints have **Nothing** To do with Challenge, Difficulty of Task, or Required Skill/Overall Experience with the Game.

The Original complaint is due to the Fact that the devs have implemented a System which is broken in its Rewards.

I dont care what you say, Incentive is required to coax people into Continued use of a System, End of story.

If a System Exists like this.. Where there is actually a Net Loss of Profit or Gold, The system will die.. Very quickly.

Maybe you will have your 5 Die Hard " I love pirates so i dont mind the loss in gold " People who will stick with it.. But the majority of todays gamer is carebear.. and Will not involve themselves in an activity unless it has a proper reward, once the "New Car" Feel of this Booster has worn off, This will become obvious unless a change is made.

Dakkon Blackblade

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Cool story bro but it looks like if we go back to the OP.

As much as I like realism, this is a bit extreme. Crafting the consumables is extremely challenging
Someone hates the challenge of crafting the consumables because it's not profitable and the internet is after all very serious business chap.

V

Vaelix

There is NOTHING Challenging about Crafting Consumables, he is merely referring to the Imbalance between Time Invested vs Net Profit..

He Merely used the wrong wording, You however, are grasping for straws by trying to build an argument around improper wording.

Dakkon Blackblade

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

There is nothing.. Challenging about Loading up 8 Crafting Skills and Making a Ton of Items..

And there is Honestly little required thinking to involve yourself in the 'End Game' of this booster..

It must be a challenge on some level for people to whine about it, although there seems to be fewer people whining and more people actually enjoying the content.

The Original complaint is due to the Fact that the devs have implemented a System which is broken in its Rewards.
According to you and a handful of others.

I dont care what you say, Incentive is required to coax people into Continued use of a System, End of story.
It is an unfortunate fact, Sir, that the people designing this game disagree with you.

f a System Exists like this.. Where there is actually a Net Loss of Profit or Gold, The system will die.. Very quickly.

Maybe you will have your 5 Die Hard " I love pirates so i dont mind the loss in gold " People who will stick with it.. But the majority of todays gamer is carebear.. and Will not involve themselves in an activity unless it has a proper reward, once the "New Car" Feel of this Booster has worn off, This will become obvious unless a change is made.
I don't see the system dieing quickly at all, and it looks more probable that you will maybe have your 5 die hard stratics users complaining about it while the rest of the oblivious user base continues to chug on through the content.

V

Vaelix

Someone hates the challenge of crafting the consumables because it's not profitable and the internet is after all very serious business chap.
As Skrag said, Lets Make NOTHING profitable..

All PvM Systems of UO now Require a X Investment Of Gold to Being with a Return of 0% In Gold.. (Not Profits.. But Gold)

How Long would these systems last..

Oh I know, A Few Days, because people are interested in the New Experience of the Booster, But when that wears off, Reality will set in..

People require incentive otherwise they will not involve themselves.

Skrag

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Then he used the wrong word. I've never died while crafting consumables. I've never gotten halfway through crafting some consumables, forgotten which button is which, and given up because it was too challenging. The word he wanted was "tedious" or possibly "irritating" I think.

But you, you're just precious. You're a jewel. It's a full decade since the Renaissance expansion and you're still just ever so angry that Trammel took your game away that you'll burst into a thread about the economics of crafting overhead versus quest rewards and start shrieking about Trammies and how nobody wants a challenge.

It's positively fascinating. Do you do this everywhere? Scream at the mailman about how he's a carebear? Yell at people in the grocery store about how they must want easymode when they complain about the price of pork chops going up? I want to put you in a glass case and set you in a museum.

HD2300

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

As much as I like realism, this is a bit extreme. Crafting the consumables is extremely challenging
"As much as I like realism, this is a bit extreme. Crafting the consumables is extremely challenging"... unless you are the type of person who gets excited watching paint dry.

It is going to be like LJing in one or two months once the novelty wears off unless they change things.

Skrag

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Call it a challenge to your patience then if you like? and actually if you think I am angry you are quite mistaken.
I could call posting on the internet a challenge to your intelligence, but that wouldn't mean it was difficult.

I actually did come back to the game for a short time when Kingdom Reborn was released and enjoyed it for a while until they pulled the plug on the client.
What? You don't even play UO? Why the crap am I even talking to you then? Jeez, at least I waited until I was playing again to come paint the forums red with my infuriating wit. The fact that you still come here to troll random threads and scream at Trammies after having already quit the game just puts you on a whole different level of butthurt.

I'm saying that your crying is not justified, and does not appear to be shared by the majority of the players who are playing the new booster. So put that in your pipe and smoke it you contemptible little buffoon.

Dakkon Blackblade

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I could call posting on the internet a challenge to your intelligence, but that wouldn't mean it was difficult.
You could do that and since you have broken through the ceiling of stupid it wouldn't really make much of a difference in how others perceive you.

What? You don't even play UO? Why the crap am I even talking to you then? Jeez, at least I waited until I was playing again to come paint the forums red with my infuriating wit. The fact that you still come here to troll random threads and scream at Trammies after having already quit the game just puts you on a whole different level of butthurt.
You couldn't help it, you were so angry that the devs made you go through a few extra steps to craft some things that you saw red, I forgive you though. I'm not trolling but lets say that I was trolling for a moment, what would that make you for going along with it? And screaming? lol you are the one getting worked up in this thread not me.

It seems pretty obvious who is mad, you were like "I want muh fifteen dollars back!" like it's some huge loss to you. Just boycott the game if you don't like it anymore.

Cry moar bro

Skrag

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Is it all out of your system, sport? You get it all out at those dumb old Trammies? That's good. Tuckered yourself out, didn't you?

Thanks for bumping the thread, and for reminding me that your ilk exists. I thought the last angry ex-PK finally shrugged, gave up, and wandered off to play Eve Online years ago. Little did I know they still haunted Uhall, just waiting to yell at those dirty carebears over... uh... quest rewards.

(PS: You suxx0r at forum PVP.)

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Why did this have to turn into a thread where players are bashing each other?
Where are the constructive comments on the topic?

B

Beer_Cayse

And if some questioning Dev member would like to see a reason *I* will not be upgrading this is it. Further in Hawkeye makes the observation that a casual player will take something like a week to prepare for a battle like this.

Guess what? I'm a casual player - maybe 2 hours tops per night, perhaps several nights between sessions. <shakes head> I'd love to simply craft the resources for folks (if a non-HS account can) on LA but I don't have all that much time to even do that as well as play.

I choose to play when I am in-game. My apologies to LA, but I wanna have fun too.

Dakkon Blackblade

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Is it all out of your system, sport? You get it all out at those dumb old Trammies? That's good. Tuckered yourself out, didn't you?
I had better things to do unlike you apparently, still operating under the delusion that I am angry? you silly little man, I'm not the one who stayed up to get the last word in, like I said it's obvious who is angry Mr gimme back my money! or I'll bawwwwww

Thanks for bumping the thread, and for reminding me that your ilk exists. I thought the last angry ex-PK finally shrugged, gave up, and wandered off to play Eve Online years ago. Little did I know they still haunted Uhall, just waiting to yell at those dirty carebears over... uh... quest rewards.
At no point during this discussion was I yelling at you, I find you amusing if anything. The funny thing is if the KR client hadn't been canned I would still be playing, so while I don't like aspects of the direction the game has gone in, I am far from disgruntled ex pk guy.

Fresley

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I did some pirate runs with a guildmate last night using one ship. It was much more cost effective as we both were rewarded with the capture when we were in a party.

Crafting the items takes some time and planning, but the fun we had was well worth it. I don't think I would want it to be any easier.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

The problem is, that most people has crafting mules.

Unless crafting is made a complex and laborious task, most players would just do their own crafting and do not rely on external crafters.

You may not like it, but if we want to have crafting as a viable profession in UO well, then crafting MUST BE something that most people find not wanting to deal with and some players want to deal with it anyways.

Making it easy would simply not make crafting viable as a profession because most players would just take care of their own needs.

An alternative ?

Sure, I already proposed it time back, make each and every account for a given shard have an incompatibility between being a fighting account or a crafting account for that shard. Cannot have both on the same account at least, not at cimpetitive levels.

Have to make a choice at competitive levels for a given shard whether to have fighters OR crafters.

Don't like this alternative ?

Well, then I am afraid we have NO OTHER possibility, if we want to keep crafting in Ultima Online as a viable profession, than have crafting processes as COMPLEX and LABORIOUS.

This is the only way to have at least a number of players not want to deal with them and have to rely on external crafters for their needs.

G

Gunga_Din

That is the feeling I get from reading some of the posts............ that some players want instant reward and they want it yesterday !!

This Booster from fishing to ship battles was NOT built around instant gratification but cleverly, on a tiered Quest system with players having to build up their credit and efforts in order to get something quite nice in the end.

I applaude this design, I see it as much better than instant gratification.
This fishmonger quests are not tiered. They don't keep track of anything and all the rewards are random. The system is broken.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This fishmonger quests are not tiered. They don't keep track of anything and all the rewards are random. The system is broken.

My understanding is that there is a point system and some reputation with various fishing guilds that builds up.

As points/reputation builds up, better quests and better rewards are offered.

Gheed

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Hawkeye I don't know if we were reminded of this somewhere in the thread but using a crafter to repair your boat consumes alot less resources. We repaired a cannon with a non crafter garg and it took 40 ingots. Using a non crafter human on the same type of repair took 36 ingots (w/joat), a 10% reduction. So using a crafter to repair your boat seems to reduce resource costs by 5% per 10 points of skill in the related craft.

G

Gunga_Din

My understanding is that there is a point system and some reputation with various fishing guilds that builds up.

It doesn't work. The quests are random and the rewards are too.

T

Trebr Drab

Hawkeye I don't know if were reminded of this somewhere in the thread but using a crafter to repair your boat consumes alot less resources. We repaired a cannon with a non crafter garg and it took 40 ingots. Using a non crafter human on the same type of repair took 36 ingots (w/joat), a 10% reduction. So using a crafter to repair your boat seems to reduce resource costs by 5% per 10 points of skill in the related craft.
I'm wondering then, could this somehow have anything to do with damaging Pirate Ships? And resources gained from their hold? Could the NPCs be doing repairs while in combat (the Pirate Ship would have to be along a coast, I believe) and the result of used materials reflected in the take from the hold?

Martyna Zmuir

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

The problem is, that most people has crafting mules.

Unless crafting is made a complex and laborious task, most players would just do their own crafting and do not rely on external crafters.
Yeah, lets add MORE tedium to crafting! Lets drive EVERYONE away from it!

Sorry, but no. Let this go Popps, you won't 'win.' Tedium in a game drives people away from content and then eventually the game itself. Tedium in an MMO = bad game design.

You may not like it, but if we want to have crafting as a viable profession in UO well, then crafting MUST BE something that most people find not wanting to deal with and some players want to deal with it anyways.
Making it easy would simply not make crafting viable as a profession because most players would just take care of their own needs.
You do play UO, right? Since I know you haven't played the booster yourself at this point...

The red italicized portion of your quote above shows a severe disconnect with the reality of online gaming. Sections of a game cannot be created so that few people will want to engage it. That’s idiotic and sure-fire way to getting cancelled due to customers being turned off.

An alternative ?
Sure, I already proposed it time back, make each and every account for a given shard have an incompatibility between being a fighting account or a crafting account for that shard. Cannot have both on the same account at least, not at cimpetitive levels.

Have to make a choice at competitive levels for a given shard whether to have fighters OR crafters.

Don't like this alternative ?

Well, then I am afraid we have NO OTHER possibility, if we want to keep crafting in Ultima Online as a viable profession, than have crafting processes as COMPLEX and LABORIOUS.

This is the only way to have at least a number of players not want to deal with them and have to rely on external crafters for their needs.

:wall:

UO is 13 years old.

A change to what skills can and can't be on an account at the same time would be like a shotgun blast to UO's face. It will kill it.

Making crafting skills "COMPLEX and LABORIOUS" is an idiotic solution at best. We want to build UO, not turn people off due to tedium and clickfests.

The viability of crafters is not related to tedium. It’s related to market demand for the items they produce.

Yes, many people have a crafter on their account - so what. Not all of them have every crafting skill, some specialize. Some crafters have figured out ways to make a product that generates them a profit. Some crafters merely exist to supply the rest of the same account with goods.

Now, if you actually look at the skills required to craft 90% of the boosters new craftables you will notice that the majority of the skill required is below 50 - some even below 20. (The major exceptions being crafting of cannons and blackpowder)

That is what hurt the crafting aspect of this booster the most. You don't need a dedicated crafter to make many of the items since you can do it on a human using JoAT.

Making things TEDIOUS will just drive people away. We don't need more people driven away from UO.

Yes and no.

The quests are tiered, but there is only one fishmonger 'guild.'

As you complete quests the following ones become more complex. Larger orders of multiple kinds of fish, crabs/lobsters etc. Comensurate with the quest, the rewards do scale up in the number and the type of bait - you also have the slight chance to get a powerscroll.

There is no way to see your 'loyalty rating' with the fishmongers anymore, but they used to bark it in the Beta.

Skrag

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Arf arf arf
Go have a seat somewhere, dude. You can try to play yourself off as cool after your ridiculous "you think you're so deep you contemptible buffon" diatribes, but I don't know who you think you're fooling. The very fact that you haunt these forums complaining about "Trammies" a full decade after Trammel was added, and without even being subscribed to UO, says more than any "totally not mad bro" post ever will. The only way you could stop looking like a psycho is to stop posting, basically.

The red italicized portion of your quote above shows a severe disconnect with the reality of online gaming.
Frankly the developers should take as a dire warning the fact that the most vocal supporter of the current status quo is someone as ill-informed on game design as Popps.

Actually, I'd like to see a developer weigh in here. Cal, someone. I would LOVE to see if an EA MMO developer is willing to come out in public and say things like...

* We added tedium to our crafting design on purpose, because the only way to make crafting viable is to drive a bunch of people out of it for the benefit of those who can tolerate the tedium.

* We designed the pirate hunting system such that it would be a financial break-even at best, a loss at worst, and a general waste of time in terms of reward. We think players will keep doing it for years anyway because it's just so fun.

* Player-to-player transactions are a gold sink, right? Herpy derp derp.

And all the other nonsense Popps and his buddies have spewed over the weekend.

K

KoolAidAddict

1. Because no devs will step in and make a case for where they feel they oopsied, and where they are positive they are in the "right" as far as direction this booster takes/will take when/if they "adjust" it.

2. Because, left to our own devices, as you can see, we end up personally attacking each other because MY opinion makes me "right" and yours makes you a "whiner carebear trammie kid who just wants pixelcrack handed to them".

3.Because, IMO, which of course, makes me a the above mentioned "whiner", its STILL and forever more a Tramms issue. Take notice to how many "carebear" and or "instant grats", or as someone came up with a new one....."shinies" wordages are used in attacking someones opinion.

It would be easy to link all these opinions as "needed" , by the devs, to make a good booster an awesome one, such as challenging, rewarding, worthwhile, less mindnumbingly time consuming, etc, etc, but.....where would that leave posters to vent/rage/attack one another ?

IBTL

Skrag

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Because the developers could sell a UO box full of nothing but broken glass, and when complaints began to surface there would be at least six people posting on Stratics going "I love broken glass! I love how it rends my flesh! If you don't like a face full of broken glass then you're a want-it-all kiddie and probably a Trammie!"

K

KoolAidAddict

Skrag....dude....many of us are in support of your criticals.
You are dead on IMO on a lot of points.
You are also NOT making any points with your attitude.
Take the high road and stop personal attacks.
Yeah, they will still come towards ya, but your denegrating it and it will just hurt the real issue.
You gotta come off the defense and let it slide if we are to get the devs attention at the issues instead of the "oh lord another flame war".
That said....

Actually, I'd like to see a developer weigh in here. Cal, someone. I would LOVE to see if an EA MMO developer is willing to come out in public and say......
No. I dont want them to come say YOUR words, I want them to come say THEIRS.
You say yours plenty, as we all have done.
I wanna hear them explain their position(s).

And all the other nonsense Popps and his buddies have spewed over the weekend.
Opinions about UO from "others" who are just as passionate isnt nonsense.
Cmon, this gets us nowhere....and fast.

Annonymous User

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Skrag....dude....many of us are in support of your criticals.
You are dead on IMO on a lot of points.
You are also NOT making any points with your attitude.
Take the high road and stop personal attacks.
Yeah, they will still come towards ya, but your denegrating it and it will just hurt the real issue.
You gotta come off the defense and let it slide if we are to get the devs attention at the issues instead of the "oh lord another flame war".
That said....

No. I dont want them to come say YOUR words, I want them to come say THEIRS.
You say yours plenty, as we all have done.
I wanna hear them explain their position(s).

Opinions about UO from "others" who are just as passionate isnt nonsense.
Cmon, this gets us nowhere....and fast.
Personally I think s/he comes off as witty and hilarious. Probably the funnest Trolls I have read all year, are in this thread.

Actually s/he does such a good job, I wonder if s/he is being payed to do this by the devs for misdirection...

none the less need some of this :popcorn: and hope to see more of this :sad3: so I can do this :lol: so the amount of $$ I spent on this (which is nothing) isn't worthless.

R

Ralco

It doesn't work. The quests are random and the rewards are too.
Exactly. When you start you only get crappy offers. As you level you get crappy and not crappy offers. Then as you level more you get crappy and not crappy offers and slightly decent offers.

The problem is that the crappy offers never drop off. You're always pulling from a larger andlarger pool.

Can we get a confirmation that canceling a quest looses standing? Do I have to keep doing these stupid 5 shore fish quests when I know it's not going to give me anything good? Seriously how many "rare" books about fish types does anyone want?

At least with BODs you can trash/sell/ignore a BOD you don't want.