• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Cure Rewards

yenliu

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Where are the explanations? Where are the final statistics?
First time, getting furious just playing a game that is supposed to entertain you.
I know I am not the first one complaining about the results.
Looking at CURES 22 = tier3 ; 151 = tier3; 201 = tier3 ; 313=tier3........ WASTE me about A month (few hours a day)!
Who else will agree this is a SMART reward system??? Shouldnt it reflect how much effort you put in?

Last edited:

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not the original deed but a diff one.
friend of mine said she didnt get a deed though, she only submitted one cure got two items but no second deed from original. so i wonder how that works.

Lord X

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
friend of mine said she didnt get a deed though, she only submitted one cure got two items but no second deed from original. so i wonder how that works.
That is odd. Id have her check her pack again, otherwise thats the first ive heard about it happening.

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Agree to 99 % of these posts. Just don´t understand one point: Why the heck did you participate? Everybody told you that this would be a failure...

And lemme point out another aspect, even if I get aggroed for it: Exodus was RNG. The Scroll-Distribution was fair. Some win, some loose. Some get the Tangle or the CC, others don´t. As soon as the Scroll will drop ingame, it will be the classical UO-situation. No criticism from me.

But they should never ever produce quests like this cure-quest. Never. It´s not a question of olympic spirit. People want to feel that there is some kind of justice behind the drop-system. RNG is fair - even if it takes some time. This competition wasn´t fair. Hence, it wasn´t a competition.

By the way: After about 250 of these damn Devourer of Souls [Renowned] I finally got the Animated Legs of the Insane Tinkerer last week. Long way, but fair. Can you imagine how deep my satisfaction was?

...and I can imagine, how deep your disappointment is. Next time, just don´t particpate :gee:

Lord X

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah I really cant wait to see these numbers as well. I mistakenly took something our EM's on my shard said out of context or something, maybe I really just mis-heard. That being said.... I thought that they said there would be 10 top prizes per shard.... I.E the bracers. Obviously they were wrong or I heard wrong, cuz it sounds like theres no more than one per shard. But at any route, thats why I tried this quest. Because I thought I could be one of the top 10 on my shard.

Last edited:

Warpig Inc

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Town Cryer, "Merchant traveling south of Umber robbed of armor in a classic choice of that or your soul. Travaler describes attacker as Dark Fatherly man."

Add it arms to the Doom list with another title and the mods/resist reduced 10%. Along with the old list have more fluff of imbue bait base items ike chest piece with only +10 parry on it. Fluff the list more with garg versions.

Keep the deco items on the extreem rare collection rewards and not gear. Why the EM items don't get the raging that this event gets. EM event items are deco and few UOers that love this game will cry over gold.

As rare as theese arms are if we see any up for sale it is due to lack of love for the game or winners admitting the vent was assed up and trying to get rich before a other version is released. What it took to win the arms just to sell is greed pure and true.

I'm done thinking about this event started about a week before day one. Time to go fishing some more to prove the 120 I got the first week was not dumb luck.

Aibal

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah I really cant wait to see these numbers as well. I mistakenly took something our EM's on my shard said out of context or something, maybe I really just mis-heard. That being said.... I thought that they said there would be 10 top prizes per shard.... I.E the bracers. Obviously they were wrong or I heard wrong, cuz it sounds like theres no more than one per shard. But at any route, thats why I tried this quest. Because I thought I could be one of the top 10 on my shard.
Don't worry, in a week's time there will be as many of them as the "rare" inquisitor's resolution. And the devs will ignore that and work on their next stellar story arc.....

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
That is odd. Id have her check her pack again, otherwise thats the first ive heard about it happening.
Think that's the way it is. I also got two rewards, the staff and sash, but it was just one ticket. I thought it was odd too!

Warpig Inc

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Really. Then why did you say in the other thread:

Whoops, in this thread you're still a proponent:

If you were not saying RNG should have been used here, then what are you saying?

Non-issues because of insurance, if your shard supports it, and the plethora of opportunities to join a fight.

Beyond the first two sentences, I have no idea what point you're trying to make here.
OK your english comp is rusty. Here is math.

Our monthly fees are as good as their monthly fees. Any prize carrot put out in the game (mainly gear and not deco items) should not be dictated by how many hours a day we can play the game. Some of us have longer sticks then others and don't even see the carrot.

10x + 10y = 10z thats the only math that is needed to get UO right (x = cup water, y = spoon drink mix)

Now go find your english teach even if you have to dig them up. Give them a hug and say "Goooooddddd Joobbb, Good Job" (Hancock). I get on here and just ramble thoughts. I reraly get feedback and fully expect none here from the powers that be. After years of sharing my thoughts here in UHall you wish to nit pick them and try to understand. Well then your just as nuts as me. Now scurry off and troll someone that types in Orc or Pirate and LMTFA.

Warpig Inc

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Don't worry, in a week's time there will be as many of them as the "rare" inquisitor's resolution. And the devs will ignore that and work on their next stellar story arc.....
If that wasn't so true, it would be funny? You nailed it. Gold Metal.

Picus at the office

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Correct me if I am wrong but it would seem that everyone knew that there wasn't a set number that allowed for tier 4 items and, thus, collecting items greater than any number above zero was a risk that you might not get a reward. The best option, if you did decide to join this event, was to do it non-stop as the "entry" number required for tier 4 was unknown and one could conclude that there was no limit. Given that the "reward" for tier 4 was a item so over powering, compared to other items for a wrestle mage, the market price should be in the upper range of items in this game and, if, the amount of these items was limited to 1(more?) per shard a person should have been able to see that one should have just played the game farming gold rather than trying to join this silly quest that the team gave us.

Conclusion is this: The team has no clue, players who bothered with this event fooled themselves into a false belief that the system was fair and just while those that either had no intrest or knew that it would be a total fail like 90% of the recent other events ended up happier than everyone else. Sad.

Last thing and it is a real question, was it known that it was a bell curve to get the reward or is this a guess that I read?

Adol

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Conclusion is this: The team has no clue, players who bothered with this event fooled themselves into a false belief that the system was fair and just while those that either had no intrest or knew that it would be a total fail like 90% of the recent other events ended up happier than everyone else. Sad.

Last thing and it is a real question, was it known that it was a bell curve to get the reward or is this a guess that I read?
I think you're slightly wrong there; they didn't fool themselves that the mechanism was fair... they fooled themselves that they could win, which from the individual perspective is the same as saying it's fair; after all, I'm a good person, I've worked hard, I should have a good shot at the prize. It's primarily a moral judgement, and they couldn't imagine that it might not be fair after all.

And some people no doubt further blinded themselves to the reality, just like they do when they buy a lottery ticket or vote based on tax cuts for millionaires because although they are poor right now and it goes against their self interest now, they think "one day I'll be rich and why should the poor get any of my cash then...?!" The desirability of the outcome meant they didn't care that it wasn't fair, but their ego and greed blinds them to the fact that in an unfair system it's unlikely to be you that rises to the top either.

But let's not blame the player for that; That's human nature, and in the MMO genre, where people come not just to play games but live alternate lives, the design of a game should take human reality into account. We need programmers who are also accurate psychologists first and foremost because they are in the business of entertaining people. But what you often get instead is the kind of game design that thinks we should have variations of cut throat competition or lotteries in game, without understanding that people come to gaming as an escape from that. They play to witness progression, become the hero, generally do things they don't or can't in real life. Some of the attitudes remain of course, but programmers are often blinded by thinking great events are defined by the experience of the person who won the great prize... (partly due to the higher rate of Libertarian or Randian attitudes in that demographic, but that's a debate for another day) But the damage done to the wider community if they feel they lost unfairly can be catastrophic.

You ask if it was known it would be a curve? It required a little thought, but yes, it was. Here's the patch notes;

• It is possible to get all four rewards if you are among the top contributors during the event and any combination thereof (Tier 3, 2, and 1, or Tier 2 and 1, or Tier 1 only).
  • It is also possible to not receive anything if your contributions are not on par with the distribution of other contributors.
Publish 76 - UOGuide, the Ultima Online encyclopedia

Notice it says "Top Contributors" This means, by definition, it has to be scaled not against an absolute line, but against individual performance, set at the top end. So where does the curve come from? Ahh now maybe the devs didn't realise this; maybe they did and designed deliberately for it due to that perspective bias I mentioned... the curve comes from human nature again, the normal engagement people have with anything; a few will boycott it completely, there'll be a majority who do a bit or some, and the odd few who do superhuman levels of anything. That people will play was obvious; we all wouldn't mind winning a lottery, right? And just think how excited the winners will be!

Of course, to win it, you had to do more than everyone else... and there was no cap on what everyone else could do. Even if the Devs designed a straight line response (20% of all Cure submissions in each Tier say) the one or two people who do 1400+ cures will push the line into a curve... my bet however is that they actually designed a curve reward system on top of that; that at Tier 4 there's only 1, or maybe a few winners as a fixed result.

What made the event design worse is the setting at the top end but not letting people see the submissions. I've written before, but World Of Warcraft did this with PvP and it was a soul eating monster, so much so that Blizzard eventually redesigned the entire mechanism because of the negative effect it was having on people's lives... You couldn't stop, because if someone stopped an hour after you did, you didn't progress. If they used AFK bots, or hired actual character playing services to keep you in Battle grounds, you couldn't progress. As I also mentioned, when I realised what I was becomming, I was doing 16 hours a day STRAIGHT PvP; 8 hours sleep, fighting all the time to keep points up, afking only to eat at the computer... then I did the sums and realised due to people botting etc overnight, although I could get to the final rank, I needed another 2-3 weeks on that regime.

That's where blind competition with no input cap leads I'm afraid. That we can all be weak enough to do it doesn't absolve any dev team from looking hard at the sort of design that encourages it. I learned this from my experience of second generation MMOs... and it's such a shame to see that UO is tending towards bringing all their mistakes back into the 1st generation game that originally avoided it, and ignoring the third etc generations and how they corrected it.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That's where blind competition with no input cap leads I'm afraid. That we can all be weak enough to do it doesn't absolve any dev team from looking hard at the sort of design that encourages it. I learned this from my experience of second generation MMOs... and it's such a shame to see that UO is tending towards bringing all their mistakes back into the 1st generation game that originally avoided it, and ignoring the third etc generations and how they corrected it.
Congratulations on the very well thought and written analysis.

I think that an entertainment product like UO should never ever have the user feel that their time in the game is not enough to be competitive. Casual players should never be penalized because they simply cannot spend enough time in the game as other players. If this happens, then the game is at loss of subscriptions from all those casual players who cannot up their time in the game to be competitive.

Personally, I think that this Event showed to us what should not be done in an entertainment product like UO, put casual players to compete against powergamers. This is simply not good for the game since it goes without saying that not all users can spend the same amount of time in the game.

Last edited:

flappy6

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
sorry to those who did the quest and did 300 or more and didnt get those sleeves,i only did one cure and got a sash,wish they would have made a set amount . i can understand them wanting to make it hard to obtain but a set amount would have made it more clear for everyone.actually i think the event was to keep most people busy so they could work on better vet rewards and gifts for 15th anivers i been playing 13 years and ive seen things like that before,i think it was a decoy

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
What if each individual set of bracers has a hidden ID on it to determine its source, and the whole event was set up to identify scripters (to win the bracers) and dupers (for when dupes start showing up)?

Winker

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What if each individual set of bracers has a hidden ID on it to determine its source, and the whole event was set up to identify scripters (to win the bracers) and dupers (for when dupes start showing up)?
dupers do it on 30 day accounts... Scripters cant be caught if they are at their keyboard, anyhow they ran a porgram a while back to see how many of us were using scripts and it turned out to be too many to ban...

Last edited:

Martyna Zmuir

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
anyhow they ran a porgram a while back to see how many of us were using scripts and it turned out to be too many to ban...
Cal's infamous spreadsheet? Lip service paid to a fed-up playerbase, all smoke and mirrors.

Without something scanning our systems, the best they could hope to detect is an altered packet stream. The totally-server-side detection Cal babbled about was complete Grade-A BS.

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Cal's infamous spreadsheet? Lip service paid to a fed-up playerbase, all smoke and mirrors.

Without something scanning our systems, the best they could hope to detect is an altered packet stream. The totally-server-side detection Cal babbled about was complete Grade-A BS.
for the record if you do a little research..from where I cannot say but in PM I will gladly say..but the creators of a few 3rd party programs not ok'ed by EA have even stated that their programs are 100% detectable by EA..and even then go on to say that as long as your not afk not much a GM will do to you..maybe nothing at all maybe a warning..

Whereas 6-7 years ago I personally knew at least 6 or 7 people banned for suspect of using speed hacks...now a days u can opening talk about it and nothing is done about it..but one thing I do agree with...everyone from EA/Mythic/Bioware and any other company dealing with UO are undeniably liars about half the things they say they are doing to stop the issue because fact is..they can stop it it just isn't profitable to stop it..same with free server..but that another story :)

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
So I turned one cure at Legends and still got the sash and the staff. Huh.

Also, why one can't reforge or imbue the staff? It would fit my event healer char nicely...

Pink Dragoness

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I received all four rewards. Turned in 702 cures, Atlantic shard.
I did not start the event until sescond week of July.

Had to grow the vanilla and sugar cane, that meant tending them for 17 days

Took about 6 to 8 hours collecting seeds from kappa at the ToK spawn area.

Killed over 1500 Territhan queens for egg sacs
Killed over 1500 Acid slime for the Slime
Cant tell you how many Orcs I killed for raw yeast, since they did not drop on each orc.

But yeah it took me maybe 18 to 20 hours to collect ingredients

When I turned in my cures, I would turn in 25 at a time. Was easy for me to keep total that way.

Do I call myself a power gammer, not really, I just got out there and did it.
Glad my lotto ticket won this one.

Angelica/Kristen

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I play chessy and made 50 to get a healer hut in m town and was happy with that. Then i was asked by a town that was in appoval process to do 50 for them so I did. By then i'd connected with someone that was competing so decided to go for it. I did my own hunting of seeds/other ingredients and made all my own cures. I turned in 50 for my town hut and 50 for two other huts. I'm not sorry i reached out to the community and did that. That's my normal game play style anyway.

I made 800 cures in all and turned them all in on one character.

But to log on Monday and find out that people on chesapeake that turned in ONE CURE received Tiers 1 and 2. And that it just took 20 to received Tier 3 and I received Tier 3 for 800. I can honeslty say i will never partipate in another one of these events again. I can totally understand wanting to keep Tier 4 to small numbers but the distribution of Tiers 1-3 is really out of wack.

I go to lots of events and don't expect a reward for going to an event. I go to them because they're fun and because as a group we can go places i could never go as an individual. I also meet different people at events and i'ts also a good chancet to see people I don't see often. But this event posted rewards and like i said i feel the distribtion is way out of wack for the effort put out and would like to see a post exlaining why Tiers 1-2 went to those that did one cure and Tier 3 was 20-800 cures.

Prior to this i did the tokuno events both times and the one where we gathered essence and had a blast.... and got full sets of majors and all the masks plus garbs and was sad to see them end. I'm sad to see the turkies leave every year i love the turkeys.

But his event was tedious and really seems the rewards were unfairly distributed.:gun:

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
OK your english comp is rusty. Here is math.
My "comp" is fine. It's your ability to write understandable sentences worthy of the English language that's lacking.

Our monthly fees are as good as their monthly fees. Any prize carrot put out in the game (mainly gear and not deco items) should not be dictated by how many hours a day we can play the game. Some of us have longer sticks then others and don't even see the carrot.
That would be too easy. We already had the Ricardo quests, good rewards but not overpowering. Something like the bracers should certainly be worked for, but not with rewards so mal-distributed as yesterday morning.

Let's get back to what elicited my original reply to you. You directly stated that RNG would have made this better, which it would not have. I quoted you (QFT, even, to use your vernacular). You denied saying that. I pointed out that, not only did you, but you went on in the second thread to suggest it again.

10x + 10y = 10z thats the only math that is needed to get UO right (x = cup water, y = spoon drink mix)
You really think you can boil UO play down to a three-variable equation? You're like Keynesians thinking they can optimize GDP output by constructing a new model (not that I expect you to understand what I'm talking about).

Now go find your english teach even if you have to dig them up. Give them a hug and say "Goooooddddd Joobbb, Good Job" (Hancock). I get on here and just ramble thoughts. I reraly get feedback and fully expect none here from the powers that be. After years of sharing my thoughts here in UHall you wish to nit pick them and try to understand. Well then your just as nuts as me. Now scurry off and troll someone that types in Orc or Pirate and LMTFA.
You don't realize how much you hung yourself with this, do you? Excluding punctuation:

"teach"
"dig them"
"nit pick"
"your"
"as me"

Please don't start a grammer war with me, fella. Just don't, when you're the one who should be running to "teach."

And if you don't want people to reply, then you may not want to post here. I generally lurk, but I will come out to join threads on various issues of the day.

Phangs_of_Phage

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
for the record if you do a little research..from where I cannot say but in PM I will gladly say..but the creators of a few 3rd party programs not ok'ed by EA have even stated that their programs are 100% detectable by EA..and even then go on to say that as long as your not afk not much a GM will do to you..maybe nothing at all maybe a warning..

Whereas 6-7 years ago I personally knew at least 6 or 7 people banned for suspect of using speed hacks...now a days u can opening talk about it and nothing is done about it..but one thing I do agree with...everyone from EA/Mythic/Bioware and any other company dealing with UO are undeniably liars about half the things they say they are doing to stop the issue because fact is..they can stop it it just isn't profitable to stop it..same with free server..but that another story :)
6-7 years ago the speedhacks were altering the packetstream. making you "tele" several tiles ahead. the "speedhack" of today only increases your CPU priority to the game and does nothing with packets.

NBG

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thank you. I, like yourself, turned in 700ish cures on Atlantic and got Tier 4 and to be honest, in hindsight, I was surprised considering I created 1600+ and split turn in. I really don't think that was an unreasonable amount for T4 considering we had a month (if you were hardcore and got a headstart you had almost 2) to make these cures. Everyone is missing the fact that to make 700 cures in a month is ~24 a day... seriously that's a joke and is obtainable for even a casual player.

I can sympathize with people that did 600-800+ on certain shards and didn't get Tier 4 - that sucks bro! Also with the people that did 20 and got tier 3 was pretty uncool. However, people that didn't participate or who turned in less than 400 shouldn't even complain. Let's face it - you really shouldn't have expected to get Tier 4 with that many.
You did not take into account the time to gather the seeds and the time that it takes until the plants are producing resources. If the ingredients are all could farmed on monster in a reasonable rate then your method of dividing up the amount of cures per day is valid.

NBG

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes I did. It's called an 'average'.
Guess you are missing the point, you can average everything out all you want but when it comes to regular\casual UO players, their day to day when playing the game is not a constant and by no mean fixed. In actuality, the amount of time needed to be spent on the cure increases as you start making cure. You can't simply average all the times to say oh you only need to spend the said amount of time per day when

1. the amount of day remaining is 20 days as far as ability to make cure
2. the amount of time is definitely higher since it is an incremental curve as you approach the end of the month

Bottom line the method of taking an average does not work when you have a incremental curve where the amount of time needed is increased.

Last edited:

NBG

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So what you're trying to say is that:
Casual players should have a chance at getting top tier rewards in a competition setting and...
Your gameplay is not consistent and therefore you did not create as many cures as you had the potential to.
Sorry, but from the looks of it, your strategy for this competition was completely wrong from the get-go and you set yourself up for failure. I see your point now!
Um the strategy is based on what you stated previously. Based on 1 month playing time. Its the same strategy as how anyone else would approach it. What does player's ability to allocate playing time have to do with strategy. Are you saying that its player's own fault that he\she can not find the time?

I simply point out that in the time frame you give and given the nature of the plant resource ingredients, your average method does not work when trying to define the amount of work needed to stay competitive.

Plus if you take into consideration the difference between shards the number of curse needed for tier rewards are completely different.

Casual\regular UO player by definition means that those player's playing time are not fixed on a daily basis. It is not my strategy, its pretty much how the quest is setup to begin with.

Regnarhannavasym

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Agree to 99 % of these posts. Just don´t understand one point: Why the heck did you participate? Everybody told you that this would be a failure...

And lemme point out another aspect, even if I get aggroed for it: Exodus was RNG. The Scroll-Distribution was fair. Some win, some loose. Some get the Tangle or the CC, others don´t. As soon as the Scroll will drop ingame, it will be the classical UO-situation. No criticism from me.

But they should never ever produce quests like this cure-quest. Never. It´s not a question of olympic spirit. People want to feel that there is some kind of justice behind the drop-system. RNG is fair - even if it takes some time. This competition wasn´t fair. Hence, it wasn´t a competition.

By the way: After about 250 of these damn Devourer of Souls [Renowned] I finally got the Animated Legs of the Insane Tinkerer last week. Long way, but fair. Can you imagine how deep my satisfaction was?

...and I can imagine, how deep your disappointment is. Next time, just don´t particpate :gee:
I cannot disagree with anything you have stated. The fact is, as a so called "powergamer" I did not get the arms. I can understand the perspective of those that dont have the time to "power game". If powergameing plays any effect then i should have gotten the arms. There is no doubt that everyones life is as important as mine. However, if I take and spend the time out of my life, i should be rewarded. I can only thank you for confirming that spending hour after hour of my life, playing a game that i pay for is a simple waiste of my time.

Regnarhannavasym

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I want to return time! haha
If return time,I dont make garg cure.

This quest for hard user,right user can not get arms.
Or not watching Olympic guy got arms?!
Sry if i am off track. I think uo, origin, mystic, ea (cant keep track) owes me $10 for the month i waisted.

Lord X

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Like I said before and I will say it again..... We shoulda known that only the very top person got the reward per shard. Not top 5 or top 10.... the top 1.... even if 2 on ATL got it I guess... thats kinda wierd too considering earlier info. But yeah we have no other numbers to go by.. only maybe 4 at the most ppl have claimed they got them out of how many shards? like 18? If I woulda known that ONLY the top person per shard got it... wouldnt of participated. Not that I am too whinny about it.... I got a cure made by a zombie that helps... lol Also I agree that the difference between tiers... ug.

Last edited:

Regnarhannavasym

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
There is no doubt that i will buy a Duped set. It is a sad issue when they put so much intersest into making an item that few can obtain, but put little intersest into those that will dupe them. I recon I might play tomarow, knowing that as a powergamer and maybe the top 10% I can affored a duped set of arms. To the other 90% that pay the same fees as me, i only have one question. Want to wrestle?

Regnarhannavasym

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
As much as I would like to read the rest of the post and reply, that would give the faulse impression that I care anymore. I can only asume that the "DEVs" get paid for more than this game. There is no doubt that my didication (and most that play) means nothing. My main toons are Mosby and Mutiny. I am no more important than anyone else. Add me to the +1 accounts lost. Good luck to you true gamers, fight the fight. I can only speak for myself when i say this game is no longer worth my time. This event was no more than the final strw as was the item i saw named "A Hubcap From An Earthen Machine Called A 1979 Delorian". I would like a 1900s rifle, its not alot to ask at the rate the game is going. I recon the next booster will be the "Lower Seas" and we all get subs. Gl to all, and I thank the folks that effected my life with their honest and open minded thoughts.

UOMarissa

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Uggghhh, so much hate here :( I was one of the lucky winners of the sleeves on Napa (would post pic, but don't know how), I turned in I think 735 cures. It was a competition, I was late getting involved (around the 16th of July). I spent all my game time gathering seeds and growing plants (moving in real life as well). I honestly didn't think I had a chance to win, but I decided to give it my best shot. Just like I was taught when I was a kid, you can only do your best, win or lose! If you lose, congrats to the winner and you go on about your business. You never told the winners they were cheaters or you didn't have time to show up. How is it anyone elses fault that you didn't win the top prize? Either you wanted to play or didn't, don't be so cruel to those that did what it took to win. My kids (now 24 and 21) always wanted to play checkers when they were younger....I played with them and I would not just let them win. They had to actually play and win. I know it is sad to think that they had to learn how to play to actually win. They are both grown now and are very competitive in what they do. I am VERY proud of both of them! For some reason, people believe they are entitled to everything because they breath the same air. Do you live in a multi-million dollar home? Do you drive and expensive car? Probably not all do, but some. Does that entitle everyone to the same? I think not, as I know I live in a rented home and do not own a car. If everyone had all the same there would be nothing to strive for. You pay to play a game, if you are unhappy, walk away and come back or not. But no need for all the hate. Just like real life, if you get knocked down you have to get back up and move on

Regnarhannavasym

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Do you tell your kids when they loose that the suck, better luck next time? I would recon you would either let them win or atleast tell them why they lost. If your kids have no chance at winning checkers, why would they waiste their time playing chest. Not to say you are off track, but you need a better example.

UOMarissa

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Why would I tell them they suck? Because you are not the best at whatever, does not mean you suck! Just means someone else is better than you and you either need to keep on playing and learning or try something else. Well, I can say they finally beat me at checkers and I have no clue how to play chess. Not everyone can be a winner. It is that simple! Find something you excel at it and be the best you can.

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
can only thank you for confirming that spending hour after hour of my life, playing a game that i pay for is a simple waiste of my time.
Complete and utter misunderstanding, mate!

Regnarhannavasym

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Cngrats to you, no doubt. I simply want the tier levels posted. If they are not, I will not return to the game. I ask nothing more than the "Devs" to take responsability and own up to the results. It is all about the integrity of the game to me.

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Uggghhh, so much hate here :( I was one of the lucky winners of the sleeves on Napa (would post pic, but don't know how), I turned in I think 735 cures. It was a competition, I was late getting involved (around the 16th of July). I spent all my game time gathering seeds and growing plants (moving in real life as well). I honestly didn't think I had a chance to win, but I decided to give it my best shot. Just like I was taught when I was a kid, you can only do your best, win or lose! If you lose, congrats to the winner and you go on about your business. You never told the winners they were cheaters or you didn't have time to show up. How is it anyone elses fault that you didn't win the top prize? Either you wanted to play or didn't, don't be so cruel to those that did what it took to win. My kids (now 24 and 21) always wanted to play checkers when they were younger....I played with them and I would not just let them win. They had to actually play and win. I know it is sad to think that they had to learn how to play to actually win. They are both grown now and are very competitive in what they do. I am VERY proud of both of them! For some reason, people believe they are entitled to everything because they breath the same air. Do you live in a multi-million dollar home? Do you drive and expensive car? Probably not all do, but some. Does that entitle everyone to the same? I think not, as I know I live in a rented home and do not own a car. If everyone had all the same there would be nothing to strive for. You pay to play a game, if you are unhappy, walk away and come back or not. But no need for all the hate. Just like real life, if you get knocked down you have to get back up and move on
This sounds very convincing, but it is far too simple... There are some prerequisites that have to be matched until one can speak of a fair contest. Maybe it is another example for different philosophies and approaches to life. We all know that there are different cultures when it comes to the question what is fair and what is not fair (...in some countries on this planet people would shake their head about your argument). Believe me, my son learns different lections - e.g. about justice and trying to overcome those "competition" rules in order to build a more fair world - not so simply accept those rules which make poor and handicapped people even poorer and more handicapped. You can try to do a transfer of these thoughts to this event and you might see, that they are true.

And IF UO was unfair like life seems to be, why should anybody pay for it? Some postings above I read something about "escapism" and living in a world that is different from our RL-world. Well, that comes much closer... RL isn´t an enterainment-game which I am paying for. And childhood education is quite different to playing a game among mostly adult people.

RNG, for example, would have been a much fairer system (even if it is not perfect) and the outcome would have been accepted more widely, that´s for sure. Why? Because the prerequisites were the same for everybody, the rules were clear to all of us and one could only blame bad luck - not other players and their performance (which I really don´t do!).

But enough, I think we all understand the problems at hand...

One point is true: No need for hatred among us. You are absolutely right! But criticizing the Devs for bad design is our right, isn´t it?

Regnarhannavasym

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
This sounds very convincing, but it is far too simple... There are some prerequisites that have to be matched until one can speak of a fair contest. Maybe it is another example for different philosophies and approaches to life. We all know that there are different cultures when it comes to the question what is fair and what is not fair (...in some countries on this planet people would shake their head about your argument). Believe me, my son learns different lections - e.g. about justice and trying to overcome those "competition" rules in order to build a more fair world - not so simply accept those rules which make poor and handicapped people even poorer and more handicapped. You can try to do a transfer of these thoughts to this event and you might see, that they are true.

And IF UO was unfair like life seems to be, why should anybody pay for it? Some postings above I read something about "escapism" and living in a world that is different from our RL-world. Well, that comes much closer... RL isn´t an enterainment-game which I am paying for. And childhood education is quite different to playing a game among mostly adult people.

RNG, for example, would have been a much fairer system (even if it is not perfect) and the outcome would have been accepted more widely, that´s for sure. Why? Because the prerequisites were the same for everybody, the rules were clear to all of us and one could only blame bad luck - not other players and their performance (which I really don´t do!).

But enough, I think we all understand the problems at hand...

One point is true: No need for hatred among us. You are absolutely right! But criticizing the Devs for bad design is our right, isn´t it?
I think this is the best over all statment made. The fact is , I and (i think) alot of folks just want others to own up. It is not an issue of intended deseption, but an issue for those that were decived, being able to get a grasp , or understanding of what happened after spending a dedicated month of paying players time. I started playing this game in 1999, i have been cool with the game progress. That is the reason i even participated in this event. It is truley as simple as those in charge showing the results. I dont claim to be of the smartest folks, but i have an isssue if those that "are" cant disclaim and post results. It is truly that simple. If I am to simple of a person, player, paid account, to make that issue clear, then it is what it is. I loved my exsperience , and i wish you all the best

UOMarissa

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Criticize the Devs all you want. But seriously, because we went above and beyond does not make us scripters, cheaters, powergamers or whatever else. Nothing warranted the line about a place in hell for a tier 4 winner. Just trying to understand where some are coming from. Shouldn't they be content that the game is still around so they can have fun and all that stuff. If not, they need to stop paying and move on. Competition is a way of life all over the world...didn't we just have the Olympics? Did everyone that participated win something? They gave it their all, just like should have been done :)

Regnarhannavasym

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Criticize the Devs all you want. But seriously, because we went above and beyond does not make us scripters, cheaters, powergamers or whatever else. Nothing warranted the line about a place in hell for a tier 4 winner. Just trying to understand where some are coming from. Shouldn't they be content that the game is still around so they can have fun and all that stuff. If not, they need to stop paying and move on. Competition is a way of life all over the world...didn't we just have the Olympics? Did everyone that participated win something? They gave it their all, just like should have been done :)
Was the month you spent more valued than the month that many others spent. No one is questioning you. I am only speaking for myself when i say "post the results". I am truley happy to see that an honest player that got the arms has joined the descussion. Do you have a problem with the results being posted?

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Criticize the Devs all you want. But seriously, because we went above and beyond does not make us scripters, cheaters, powergamers or whatever else.

Correct! Never said anything like that!

Nothing warranted the line about a place in hell for a tier 4 winner.

Correct! Never said anything like that!

Just trying to understand where some are coming from. Shouldn't they be content that the game is still around so they can have fun and all that stuff. If not, they need to stop paying and move on.

Maybe. Yea. I don´t like whining that much, too. But I understand criticism and I share most of it.

Competition is a way of life all over the world... :)

THAT is what I mean with "far too somple thought". In this particular event, competition was the ONLY law. If competition would be the ONLY law of human life, there would be no difference between humans and animals. Then we have "the survival of the fittest" - and who cares of the rest? F*** them all...

The fact, that competition IS NOT the most important law in human life, makes the difference. And thank god, most people know that. I would not want to live in a world that is only driven by competition. NO THANKS. I am glad that I come from a culture, that doesn´t worship competition that much. Maybe you like this lifestyle - I don´t. And believe me, I am very competitive in my business, too.

But think of the virtues of UO... What are they? Is there any word about competition? NO! But many about compassion, justice... Here is your answer ;)

Last edited:

Martyna Zmuir

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nothing warranted the line about a place in hell for a tier 4 winner.
Actually, there did. This person was part of a group of nine people that agreed on an arbitrary number of cures to make in the hopes of managing the curve. This person lied about the resources she had in order to acquire more from her friend who had extra. She then continued to boldly lie to her friends about "how hard it was to keep up" and the "strain of gathering resources" (none of which she actually bothered doing herself). In the end, she turned in over twice the number of cures of anyone else (on a single character) and lost friends over her lies. All for pixelcrack gloves, yay her!

I actually made 175 more (in total, turned in on multiple characters) than her and I could have lumped them all on one character at the last minute, but I have that little niggling thing called "integrity" which prevented me from going rogue and screwing over the people I call friend.

I really have to say that I'm amused by the three "winners" who've chosen the haughty route in relating to the "losers." Brava!

Just proves the point about this event being fracked in the head from the start.

Last edited:

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Actually, there did. This person was part of a group of nine people that agreed on an arbitrary number of cures to make in the hopes of managing the curve. This person lied about the resources she had in order to acquire more from her friend who had extra. She then continued to boldly lie to her friends about "how hard it was to keep up" and the "strain of gathering resources" (none of which she actually bothered doing herself). In the end, she turned in over twice the number of cures of anyone else (on a single character) and lost friends over her lies. All for pixelcrack gloves, yay her!

I actually made 175 more (in total, turned in on multiple characters) than her and I could have lumped them all on one character at the last minute, but I have that little niggling thing called "integrity" which prevented me from going rogue and screwing over the people I call friend.

I really have to say that I'm amused by the three "winners" who've chosen the haughty route in relating to the "losers." Brava!

Just proves the point about this event being fracked in the head from the start.
Oh boy, that IS evil!

Regnarhannavasym

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

I thought i was pissed, Thank you for still caring. I will make this my last comment. It is all about integrity. I can only hope that the indevidual results will be posted. Unfortunantly those of us not wearing blinders will probably still be pissed. We know who got them, same accounts that always gets them. If my friends email me and let me know that the Devs (yes DEVS, sry to their well treated friends) have enough integrety to own up to the results, then i might return. We all know that will not happen, it is a simple paycheck and opinions of paying costomers are easily replaced with 2 new accounts that wont last 2 months. TC and thank all of you honest folkes for 12yrs of awsome gaming. If the world crashes in December, hit me up. We will cook and eat the ****ty folks on our campfires. Peace out.