• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Classic shard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

Do you think UO would still exist if all the paying customers in Tram were not there? Fel is a ghost town. There's no chance those few players who remained in Fel could of kept UO profitable, even at the current monthly fee. UO would have been one of the games that came, failed to be profitable, and been shut down.
But that assumes that there was no other solution to the problem. Believe me, I was one of the most vocal champions of blue non-PvPers back in the day.

But to say that if Tram had not been invented that UO would have died...I cannot agree with that. I think there was another way, and the devs took the easy way out.

I do agree that had things been left the way they were, that UO would have died many years ago. Too many newer options became available...and in those games, people didn't have to put up with PKs if they didn't want to.

What I am saying now is that I would like to see a Classic Shard that explores the 'what if' of where UO could have gone as opposed to where it went with Tram...not where would UO have ended up had it been left in T2A forever. That's an easy question to answer...and we don't need a new shard to figure it out.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am not some environmentalist or anything like that, but you can only cut so many trees from a forest without allowing the trees to grow back before you end up with an empty, barren, wasteland.

And such is Fel today.
I wonder if some Dev of old, thinking the same thing, is why Fel was given the bare tree environment.

Humankind tends to do things like wiping out forests, breeds of fish, animals, oil supplies, fresh water supplies and the forests that make the oxygen we need to live. Only immediate benefit is considered, not the long term consenquences.

The players who love PKing needed to consider the fact that there were players willing to risk being killed on occasion, but not as a routine part of play. Unfortunately they didn't. So now their locked in a cage named Fel, where they have, in a frenzy of killing, wiped out what they needed to enjoy the game. They should have restrained their bloodlust and left play in Fel fun enough for their victims, that the victims didn't leave entirely. All they have left are the PvPers as potential targets, and losing fights probably isn't fun for them.

Even the bait EA throws into Fel like the big powerscrolls, double-resources, and such to draw in victims for the PKers doesn't work well. What good is the bait if you get PKed before you get out with it?

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
But to say that if Tram had not been invented that UO would have died...I cannot agree with that. I think there was another way, and the devs took the easy way out.
While making Tram was an easy way out, it was probably also a fast solution to stem the flow of customers leaving UO. It kept the players tired of being endlessly PKed from taking their money elsewhere, which I imagine was a real concern for EA.

I do agree that had things been left the way they were, that UO would have died many years ago. Too many newer options became available...and in those games, people didn't have to put up with PKs if they didn't want to.
Those newer options being a mere UO account closing / new game signup away is probably why EA went for a quick fix. Taking time to come up with and implement a better solution would have resulted in to many players switching to another game while EA was doing it.

What I am saying now is that I would like to see a Classic Shard that explores the 'what if' of where UO could have gone as opposed to where it went with Tram...not where would UO have ended up had it been left in T2A forever. That's an easy question to answer...and we don't need a new shard to figure it out.
I'd be game to see where such a game world went if I could do it without being routinely PKed. Leaving a guard zone in color to log & mine, and coming back in black & white empty handed, as a normal thing isn't my idea of fun.

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

I wonder if some Dev of old, thinking the same thing, is why Fel was given the bare tree environment.

Humankind tends to do things like wiping out forests, breeds of fish, animals, oil supplies, fresh water supplies and the forests that make the oxygen we need to live. Only immediate benefit is considered, not the long term consenquences.

The players who love PKing needed to consider the fact that there were players willing to risk being killed on occasion, but not as a routine part of play. Unfortunately they didn't. So now their locked in a cage named Fel, where they have, in a frenzy of killing, wiped out what they needed to enjoy the game. They should have restrained their bloodlust and left play in Fel fun enough for their victims, that the victims didn't leave entirely. All they have left are the PvPers as potential targets, and losing fights probably isn't fun for them.

Even the bait EA throws into Fel like the big powerscrolls, double-resources, and such to draw in victims for the PKers doesn't work well. What good is the bait if you get PKed before you get out with it?
Exactly.

It was the selfish play of the PKers that led to Tram. They have no one to blame but themselves. But in the process, they did unimaginable damage to the game itself.

If they had recognized that the easy path was leading them to ruin, they would have likely stopped killing everyone they came across. In fact, right before Tram was introduced, they sort of did, at least on Atlantic. You still the random red that would attack on sight, but as soon as rumors started spreading of a PK switch, they curtailed their griefing to an extent, but it wasn't enough.

There will be a few old school reds that will come here, and post how PKing was all in good fun, and how thin-skinned the blues were...etc...but in the end, EA didn't really have a choice...they had to do something. EverQuest was out, and they had no non-con PvP. I personally knew over 100 people that left UO for EQ as soon as it came out because they were sick of PKs.

Tram caused a resurgence in UO, because finally a player could explore the world unfettered. Before Ren, on Atlantic, there were places a lone blue player just simply couldn't go...ever. Not if they didn't want to die at the hands of some reds. Ren opened the world to everyone. But at the same time, it removed the mystery. I know. I lived it. It was really nice at first. We could just go where we wanted, and if we did just happen to die to some monster, our stuff would still be there as long as we got back pretty quickly.

Once AoS and insurance came out, death no longer had any meaning at all. That was the final nail in the coffin basically.

But every blue non-PvPer needs to understand something: You lost something too. Sure, it was frustrating to get ganked. But back then, there was something almost electric about playing UO. There was a tingle of fear when you saw that red name on your screen...and it isn't the same fear you might get from seeing a dumb NPC creature that gets stuck on rocks and twigs and stuff. The adrenaline really pumped when you realized that you were being attacked by a PK. I don't think anyone that wasn't there can really appreciate it. I don't say that to sound elitist, but even if you step into Fel now, you know what to expect. You know that you are going to eventually fight another player...its not a surprise. But back in the Classic pre-Tram days, everywhere you went, there was a certain uneasiness about being out there...where you were not safe.

That's called risk...challenge...

...and its gone now.

WarUltima

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If they had recognized that the easy path was leading them to ruin, they would have likely stopped killing everyone they came across.
It's indiscriminated hate.
People playing PKs, is in a way RPing cold blood villains as well.
No if you tell them people will cry carebears will complain and GM will enable UO Easy Mode (trammel) just for them would still not have stopped any killing.

Dont hate the player hate the game.
Just like WOW has 4 times more PvE servers then they do PvP.
Softcore players outweights hardcore players is as normal as people wants money.

Btw even in a carebear game like WoW when you chose to play a PvP server you can be attacked anywhere anytime (other than in your faction town where you have to flag to enemy on your land first for them to PK you). And townguards doesnt even instakill players.

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

It's indiscriminated hate.
People playing PKs, is in a way RPing cold blood villains as well.
No if you tell them people will cry carebears will complain and GM will enable UO Easy Mode (trammel) just for them would still not have stopped any killing.

Dont hate the player hate the game.
Just like WOW has 4 times more PvE servers then they do PvP.
Softcore players outweights hardcore players is as normal as people wants money.

Btw even in a carebear game like WoW when you chose to play a PvP server you can be attacked anywhere anytime (other than in your faction town where you have to flag to enemy on your land first for them to PK you). And townguards doesnt even instakill players.
Not my place to moderate this thread, but dude, I think terms like 'UO Easy Mode' and 'Carebears' will do more to get this thread locked and buried than almost anything else...and it does very little to further the idea that a Classic Shard can exist without Trammel.

These kinds of attitudes are what lead us to where we are today. It's better if everyone at least makes an honest attempt to understand where the "other side" is coming from, and let go of the hate that led us to the split.

I had some major enemies in the form of reds back in the day, and I make no secret of it, I earned that. But I never wanted to see reds separated from the rest of the population...locked away in Fel. That was not the right way.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There will be a few old school reds that will come here, and post how PKing was all in good fun, and how thin-skinned the blues were...etc...but in the end, EA didn't really have a choice...they had to do something. EverQuest was out, and they had no non-con PvP. I personally knew over 100 people that left UO for EQ as soon as it came out because they were sick of PKs.
I suspect if a pre-AOS Classic Shard gets made for us, it will have a Tram version or facet.

Many potential returning Players are going to be gun-shy of a PKer problem if the only Classic Shard is a non-con PvP world, no matter what systems are put in place to discourage the PKers from driving the returning players out again. Sad, but realistic.

Human nature is what it is.

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

I suspect if a pre-AOS Classic Shard gets made for us, it will have a Tram version or facet.

Many potential returning Players are going to be gun-shy of a PKer problem if the only Classic Shard is a non-con PvP world, no matter what systems are put in place to discourage the PKers from driving the returning players out again. Sad, but realistic.

Human nature is what it is.
That would be a shame. I would imagine it would last about a year at best. I would probably check it out, but just like the first time EA took all the risk and challenge out of the game, I would get bored really quickly. I imagine everyone else would as well.

The problem with a Tram version of a pre-AoS shard is that the Ren version of UO offered very little beyond the same ol' same ol' but with Tram. Eventually, everyone would see all the places (which they can still see with the exception of Ocollo without leaving Tram on the current shards), they would have all the items, and would find themselves wanting for something they couldn't get on that shard.

So they would migrate back to their home shards, and the not-so-grand experiment would be over.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not my place to moderate this thread, but dude, I think terms like 'UO Easy Mode' and 'Carebears' will do more to get this thread locked and buried than almost anything else...and it does very little to further the idea that a Classic Shard can exist without Trammel.

These kinds of attitudes are what lead us to where we are today. It's better if everyone at least makes an honest attempt to understand where the "other side" is coming from, and let go of the hate that led us to the split.
Seconded.

Keep in mind this thread is being watched. It exists for discussion, not flaming. Let's not be provocative.

Some people have fun riding a motorcycle down outdoor trails, others need those trails to be dangerous to have fun. Tastes are different.

We need as many players to return to UO as possible.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That would be a shame. I would imagine it would last about a year at best. I would probably check it out, but just like the first time EA took all the risk and challenge out of the game, I would get bored really quickly. I imagine everyone else would as well.

The problem with a Tram version of a pre-AoS shard is that the Ren version of UO offered very little beyond the same ol' same ol' but with Tram. Eventually, everyone would see all the places (which they can still see with the exception of Ocollo without leaving Tram on the current shards), they would have all the items, and would find themselves wanting for something they couldn't get on that shard.

So they would migrate back to their home shards, and the not-so-grand experiment would be over.
I think being rid of AOS would keep a lot of the players around. It will me.

PvMers would be able to hunt monsters that are not a result of the uber gear / supermonster arms race.

Crafters will be able to craft worthwhile gear without the rare & few-use runics.

PvPers could fight other players based on how skilled they are and how good at fighting they are. Not based on how good their toys are. There would be more PvP players because even those who can't play the hours needed to get the toys would in a matter of months have the GM skills to let them fight PvP with a real chance of winning. More PvPers, more fun for those PvPers.

The players into PKing will still have the PvPers to romp on.

I think it would be the way that draws & keeps the most players.

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

The players into PKing will still have the PvPers to romp on.
That was never the point of PKs. That's why the Tram/Fel split failed, and all the PKs, the real PKs, quit.

I heard this justification when the split occurred, and I posted, and posted, complained, and warned...but no one listened.

I think it would be the way that draws & keeps the most players.
But they tried that already.

They did this once, and it led us to where we are now.

What makes you, or anyone else, think that the outcome could be any different if the exact same path is followed?

Yes, it sucked being PKed. Yes, it sucked losing all your stuff.

But it didn't suck as bad as what we have now.

I am not saying that there is only 1 way. That was always what fascinated me with UO...there were an infinite number of ways.

But just this once...I'd like to see where a different path would have taken us.

Maybe it wouldn't work. Maybe you are right, and the Tram/Fel split was the only way...

...and if that is the case...then so be it. The Classic Shard could be split...

...but I wish like hell that they would just TRY first. Then let it just go down the same path it went down if it failed...or not, whatever.

At that point, we would know...and we could just leave the past in the past...and we could just move on.

But I know, I KNOW, there are other old time UO players like myself that wonder...'what if'. What if they hadn't split the world? What if they had found a better way to deal with PKs? Would we have AoS? Would we have need 3 extra clients? Would Todd McFarlane have to have been involved? Would we have had to have powerscrolls? Would UO be dying now? Would we be seeing all these neon colors? Would the game simply have died? Would the game be stronger than ever? Would Mythic be in charge? Would Origin be gone?

So many unanswered questions...

...and only one way to answer them.

Just do it again...and do it right this time...and see what happens.

H

Heartseeker

You people just don't get it.

This subject was brought up because people miss the old UO.

They want a "whole" Shard not a split.

You guys keep on insisting that maybe have a Classic Shard that is split.

Hello???

Who the hell would play a Classic Trammel?

There would be no Fel, who would you sell your items too?

The monsters would be tougher but there would be much less of them; and the area is small and no Boss monsters.

The people in Trammel now, would never play a game like that, where there is way less pixel crack; they want more and need it.

You guys and the bad pk's, crack me up.

The Shard I play on there is way more blue players than pk's. Pk's are rare.

Further more, what difference is there if a monster kills you or another player?

Why do people take everything so personally?

Do any of you people play any sports or do anything competitive?

It was a challenging game before; and that is what ppl want from a Classic Shard, an adventure again.

ps. This game is now full of scripters, gold sellers, rare merchants, and arty farmers etc.

They won't be coming to a Classic Shard; no money to be made there....

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
They did this once, and it led us to where we are now.

What makes you, or anyone else, think that the outcome could be any different if the exact same path is followed?
It wouldn't be the exact same path. No matter whether EA went with seperate PvP and non-PvP shards, or with seperate facets. It would be a major change because there would be no AOS.

Whether EA went on to restore parts of LBR, SE, ML, & SA or not. The game would be on an entirely new course into a future only the Devs know of. Free of the Shadow of AOS which we all seem to agree is one of the games major faults.

From a Crafter & PvMers viewpoint, it would be a bright new day with an unshadowed future to enjoy. :)

D

Dwarven Smith

No, Im going to go by my actual experience in the game, not the BS that was flung on the HOC chats by the whiners who couldnt handle getting PK'd.

All the HOC chats verify is that there were whiners, and a lot of them, and all they did was complain.

And if its those chats that people are basing their judgement of pre trammel on, then you have no idea of how things actually were.
?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

First as stated above I was there Pre Tram and the friends who got me involved were around since Beta...I played around 3 to 6 months Pre Tram, and it was a lot of fun yes, but a lot more fun once my chars that weren't ready for PvP actually had a chance to get there, without being PK'd and Rez Killed...Made it a lot more time effective versus having to spend half my time running for healer as a new player it was already confusing enuff and trying to understand the reason for being flat out spanked when it was obviusly no challenge for the PK'r...Seeing as how he/or she had to easily be 5x GM or better and I am at my outstanding 35% swords and 30% heal or whatever it was...It was deffinately not a polished char...

Most of the whinning I saw back then came from PK'rs,(I use that term for them loosely, try fighting my 5x GM set up for fighting, not my 5x GM crafter)...Most whinning was about,"Ohh, you have to nerf this or that power because I can not figure out how to use it or deffend against it..."

Truth is 99.9% of whining as you call it, comes from PvP players and causes all kinds of destructive nerfs to a game...Look at all MMO's, any MMO that adds PvP ends up creating a never ending stream of nerfs, in a so called attempt to even the playing fields and Balance Combat which it never does...

Ok that being said this is a direct reply to you friend...

I never whined about anything, I simply left once the un-ending stream of nerfs started...

Do I want PvP in UO, Umm Duh!!! HECK YA!!!

UO started with PvP and should end with it...

I do stress again the need for Fel, but also a very strong need for Tram...

Your mainstay paying subscribers that don't have hours each day but a few hours on weekends to play...Don't want to spend those few hours being Griefed by a wanna be PK...This wanna be I speak of may or may not be you...To me a wanna be is someone who kills basically anything they see thinking this makes them a great player and ohh so awesome...What in my book is someone deserving the title PK'r, is someone who actually challanges opponents that are more than ready and willing to fight and not the poor smuck who jsut happens to be caught out gathering resources or fishing or whatever ohh so threatening activity provoked our so called PK'r Wanna Be...

Ohh ya, and as stated above, "I will probably get flamed for this"...

Thank you for showing me what I knew would still be true of this game...

Why discuss things rationaly and with some sense of civility, when you can jsut flame someone....

H

Heartseeker

No, Im going to go by my actual experience in the game, not the BS that was flung on the HOC chats by the whiners who couldnt handle getting PK'd.

All the HOC chats verify is that there were whiners, and a lot of them, and all they did was complain.

And if its those chats that people are basing their judgement of pre trammel on, then you have no idea of how things actually were.
?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

First as stated above I was there Pre Tram and the friends who got me involved were around since Beta...I played around 3 to 6 months Pre Tram, and it was a lot of fun yes, but a lot more fun once my chars that weren't ready for PvP actually had a chance to get there, without being PK'd and Rez Killed...Made it a lot more time effective versus having to spend half my time running for healer as a new player it was already confusing enuff and trying to understand the reason for being flat out spanked when it was obviusly no challenge for the PK'r...Seeing as how he/or she had to easily be 5x GM or better and I am at my outstanding 35% swords and 30% heal or whatever it was...It was deffinately not a polished char...

Most of the whinning I saw back then came from PK'rs,(I use that term for them loosely, try fighting my 5x GM set up for fighting, not my 5x GM crafter)...Most whinning was about,"Ohh, you have to nerf this or that power because I can not figure out how to use it or deffend against it..."

Truth is 99.9% of whining as you call it, comes from PvP players and causes all kinds of destructive nerfs to a game...Look at all MMO's, any MMO that adds PvP ends up creating a never ending stream of nerfs, in a so called attempt to even the playing fields and Balance Combat which it never does...

Ok that being said this is a direct reply to you friend...

I never whined about anything, I simply left once the un-ending stream of nerfs started...

Do I want PvP in UO, Umm Duh!!! HECK YA!!!

UO started with PvP and should end with it...

I do stress again the need for Fel, but also a very strong need for Tram...

Your mainstay paying subscribers that don't have hours each day but a few hours on weekends to play...Don't want to spend those few hours being Griefed by a wanna be PK...This wanna be I speak of may or may not be you...To me a wanna be is someone who kills basically anything they see thinking this makes them a great player and ohh so awesome...What in my book is someone deserving the title PK'r, is someone who actually challanges opponents that are more than ready and willing to fight and not the poor smuck who jsut happens to be caught out gathering resources or fishing or whatever ohh so threatening activity provoked our so called PK'r Wanna Be...

Ohh ya, and as stated above, "I will probably get flamed for this"...

Thank you for showing me what I knew would still be true of this game...

Why discuss things rationaly and with some sense of civility, when you can jsut flame someone....
Would you like a lollipop? rolleyes:

W

wills

Dwarven,

I'll only address one thing with regard to your post, because the poor horse is already bloody enough, and they're going to have to keep the casket locked tight at the wake.

Anyway, onward!

Quite simply, your post seems to imply that a classic shard would be directed at the masses, and as such, it would need to appeal to the masses, which, we can all agree, want Trammel (or some such solution). But a classic shard would be a niche shard among a huge number of shards, almost all of which are already directed at said masses!

I agree that it would be nice to tweak the player-justice system in some fashion on a classic shard (though likely, it would need to be quick and dirty). I think the biggest issue is protecting crafters. So hell, can we just guard protect all of Yew and Minoc or something?

I don't know, but that poor horse...

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Heartseeker, when I typed my post your reply wasn't there. I got called away before I hit the 'post' button. The question wasn't aimed at you, personally, but at the posters in the thread as a whole.

D

Dwarven Smith

Dwarven,

Quite simply, your post seems to imply that a classic shard would be directed at the masses, and as such, it would need to appeal to the masses, which, we can all agree, want Trammel (or some such solution). But a classic shard would be a niche shard among a huge number of shards, almost all of which are already directed at said masses!

Ok. I was under the impression that is what you all are wanting to do...Appeal to the masses and save a dying game...Right now UO is dying and has been for some time...EA needs to appeal to the masses and show some loyalty to its die hard players...Thing is what you all have now isn't working...I may have gotten point of this all wrong, to my understanding this was a discussion about a classic chard that would appeal to players currently subscribed...To bring back the people who left...Appeal to a whole new influx of players...

A lot of the ideas mentioned about how to stem the tide of rampant PK'rs are very good...The idea of jail and the shackles are very cool...I would love to be playing my RED and have to be worried about being attacked by a group of bounty hunters wanting to take me in...It would also be great to be on the other end of that hunting REDs...There should be something like this ingame...It would add meening to PvP and actually give it some content above, "Cool, you meen I can just take other peoples stuff and never have to work for anything?"...

I guess a good analigy would be, do we really need laws in the real world for it to function and be safe? DUH!!!

Ok, that is all I have to say and will not be posting again...

Farewell UO...

Zedd

L

Longest Journey

And then you post...

You think killing people that don't wish to be killed doesn't cause grief to that person? I can't imagine too many things that would bring more grief in UO than someone killing you for no reason and taking all of your belongings.
Well thats the problem of the person who got killed then if they got so upset over it that it caused them "grief". It was an open PvP game, if they didnt know that at some point or another they would get attacked and possibly killed, then they brought the misery on themselves.

Anyone who gets upset over getting killed in game is, by all logic, not mature enough to handle a game where getting killed by other players is a strong possibility.

Oh...me? Yeah, I was in the wrong place at the wrong time a lot. Then I started an anti-pk guild and it was the reds that were in the wrong place at the wrong time...and took it personally when they entered stat loss.
Good for you. You learned how to fight back. You should be proud of that.

As for the reds who got pissed and took it personally when you killed them, well, thats just tough s**t for them. Dont dish it out if you cant take it. They were reds, they should have known that at some point or another someone was going to kick their ass and kill them. If they couldnt accept that, then they had no business playing a red.

You are barking up the wrong tree with me. I am not some no pvping newb. I have probably killed more people in UO than the number of people that currently play on most shards...but I never killed an innocent player.
You were a true blue. Good for you. However, that doesnt make you any better than the guy who was the true red. You were both playing a role and you played them to your best abilities.

Sure I can. That's the best part about free will. We can all react to things the way we choose to.
Actually, its very unhealthy to take stuff like that personally. Its a sign of emotional immaturity and an inability to discern reality from fantasy. Thats not intended as an insult, Im just pointing out a fact.

Getting immersed in a game is okay, so long as you keep it in mind, its just a game.

And part of that RP should have been suffering the consequences for their crimes.
Yeah, the consequence was people would try to kill them every chance they got. I know you would have rather had the hammer of god come raining down on them every time they so much as looked at another player wrong, but in game rules have to be kept within the boundaries of reason.

And for the record...I don't buy that crap for a second.
Oh well.... sorry you feel that way. But the truth is not all reds were 14-year-old kids. Actually, I didnt see an influx of 14-year-olds until AFTER Trammel. I remember the first day I set foot in trammel. I was accosted by a character named "Phalis" who kept trying to hump my leg.

I knew most of the big guild reds back in the day (CC, TB, AoD, etc). Most of them were pks because they were a) 14 years old and enjoyed griefing other players, b) found that Pking and looting players was far more lucrative than PvM.
So? I had run-ins with them too on occasion. The resons they were reds were no concern of mine. All I cared about was how I was either going to escape, or kill as many of them as I can before they kill me.

That was their choice...and never did I seek to deprive them of their choice...I just personally held them accountable for it by hunting them down, killing them, and giving their gear to new players and people that had been PKed.

That's player justice!
Thats great. You fought back and did something constructive to balance things out. Now, if only more players thought like you did back then, things would have been more interesting and better.

Easy now...it was only an example. But when we are discussing the most realistic way to keep PvP alive in the game, as opposed to the un-realistic way the devs dealt with, then I think some examples of real life killers is in order to put things into a certain perspective.
The most realistic way to keep PvP alive is to give players more ways to combat those who choose to walk the path of the killer.

However, Bundy and Manson were real life sickos. They really have no bearing on the issue of PvP, because this is just a game. What those two did was horrific and costed the lives of ACTUAL people, not an avatar in a game which can come back to life.

See...this is the kind of attitude that led to Tram. The idea that there was only one play style, and that anyone that didn't enjoy that play style should go elsewhere.
The point I was trying to make was, they knew what they were getting into. They knew they'd get killed eventually. Then when it happened, they cried about it.

Its like getting on a roller coaster with a full stomach, then puking afterwards and complaining to the carnie that the ride made you sick and demanding it be slowed down. You knew it would make you throw up, yet you did it anyway. You brought it on yourself. But now you want it slowed down because you couldnt handle it? What about everyone else who is enjoying the ride the way it was? They have to be screwed over because you didnt like it?

Thats how it was with pre-trammel. People got on there knowing the game was open PvP and that there were PKs roaming about looking to kill other players, but then complained when they got killed and demanded it be taken out to suit their wants. That screwed over the rest of us who were enjoying the game the way it was.

The roller coaster got slowed down (trammel) and became boring as hell. And then, no one wanted to ride it anymore.

Also, if there was any attitiude that lead to Trammel, it was the other side of the argument. The side that whined, she-dogged and complained instead of learning to adapt and survive. THOSE are the people that lead to trammel. The rest of us learned how to survive and got a way better experience than those who refused to adapt and accept that the game was open PvP.

Ok...I'll play along here. So it was "RP" when reds killed blues, but if my guild was "RPing" justice seekers, it was a "personal vendetta"???
No, that was RPing too. RPing is just acting and getting into a role. Its not a guaranteed accurate reflection of the kind of person you are in real life.

However, if you are RPing on the forum here please make that clear. Otherwise, you come off as somone who carries an actual personal grudge against reds. Because, thats how you were coming off.

I won't elaborate on that point, because we all agreed this would remain a civil discussion...but I will allow you to consider the duality of that point of view and say nothing else about your statement here.
Theres a duality because I said perma-death is overkill? How does that cause a duality?

Anyone will agree perma death is a bad idea to solve any ingame situation. Its a player deterrent, and UO has enough of those as it is....27 AOS versions of them to be exact.

You were on the right track with the imprisonment idea. You should stick with that and build on it. Making them lose control of the character for period of time isnt as extreme as perma-death, but it will get the point across that there is a consequence for being a red.

Troll The T Hunter

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
"If you need proof just look at the population of Siege during those happier times...Compare it to any other Shard you wish, it will come up way short every time..."

Hold on there. I played on Pacific before Siege opened and the day it opened I never played another shard again. Before AOS there was no empty house spots. The first couple years siege was packed with people. Aos, personal bless deeds, sammy helm and blessed leggings, expanded land mass, long training times, 3 times vendor cost, those things helped ruin siege. Pvp and pking had nothing to do with siege's demise.

I'm not sure why people want trammel with a classic shard? don't pvm players like pixel crack and new and better weapons/armor?

This game was built on player interaction, this game was built with the intent of PvP. My main charactor is a crafter, There was nothing more exciting then going out and mining or treasure hunting fearing pks running on screen. Some times they got me, other times I got away. a couple times I killed them(the best was when I was treasure hunting a pk jumped my gate and I ran him into a bunch of black wisp and hid). If things got out of hand I would log one of my pvp charactors with revenge in mind. Overall it made me a good crafter because I had to figure out how to avoid being pked. Not all resources are out of the guard zone or are very close.

When people mention classic it brings back a little fear, fear is sometimes a good thing.

Morgana I doubt you didn't enjoy killing reds. You mention that pk's ruined the game well without them what would you be doing?

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

I know you would have rather had the hammer of god come raining down on them every time they so much as looked at another player wrong, but in game rules have to be kept within the boundaries of reason.
Not at all. Quite the opposite in fact. I just thought that there should have been less incentive to PK, and more incentive actually get involved in the community rather than engaging in anti-social behavior aimed at ruining someone else's game experience.

But the truth is not all reds were 14-year-old kids. Actually, I didnt see an influx of 14-year-olds until AFTER Trammel.
I never said all. And it would shock you to know the actual ages of a lot of the players that were playing at that time. There was a much broader mix than there is now I would bet.

The most realistic way to keep PvP alive is to give players more ways to combat those who choose to walk the path of the killer.
Exactly. If that includes punishment for committing too many crimes...then so be it.

Also, if there was any attitiude that lead to Trammel, it was the other side of the argument. The side that whined, she-dogged and complained instead of learning to adapt and survive. THOSE are the people that lead to trammel. The rest of us learned how to survive and got a way better experience than those who refused to adapt and accept that the game was open PvP.
I disagree. Every single red knew that the bulk of the players in the game were not happy with what they were doing, and they did it anyway.

It's like smoking in public places. Eventually, if enough people decide they are sick of something, they complain. The easy answer to the problem would be compulsory limits on where people can smoke. But too many people abuse that, so mandatory limits have to be placed.

The devs in UO made their position known on rampant PKing, but the red population didn't stop. They just kept killing anyone they saw, talking trash, looting, and rez killing. They should have known what was coming, I did.

you come off as somone who carries an actual personal grudge against reds. Because, thats how you were coming off.
The only grudge I carry against reds is how they allowed their insistence on forcing their playstyle on everyone around them to the point of causing the devs to have to ruin the game with Trammel. Yes, I still hold a grudge over that, because it was their selfishness that ruined the game I loved.

There is nothing you can say or do to change my mind on that one, so I wouldn't bother if I were you.

You were on the right track with the imprisonment idea. You should stick with that and build on it. Making them lose control of the character for period of time isnt as extreme as perma-death, but it will get the point across that there is a consequence for being a red.
Have you ever heard of the term 'escalation of force'?

I agree, imprisonment should be the idea tried first. But what happens if it actually doesn't work? Do we go back to Tram/Fel? Or should other methods be explored.

Trust me, I don't want to see anyone lose a character that they have spent a great deal of time building up. That's not a good thing...but at the same time, if they understand that they are approaching a limit, and they cross that threshold, who is to blame?

I don't mean this to be an insult, but I think you have a misplaced victim's complex. You claim that the true victims, the unwilling people PKed by reds, should have known better. Yet they were engaging in no behavior that would cause them to face any negative consequence beyond having the audacity to pay their monthly fees and trying to play the same game as the reds. Meanwhile, you cry foul at a red being held accountable for his or her own actions...which victimize someone that did nothing wrong.

Actually, its very unhealthy to take stuff like that personally. Its a sign of emotional immaturity
In 1997, I was a 13 years old. I was immature. No doubt about it.

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

Morgana I doubt you didn't enjoy killing reds. You mention that pk's ruined the game well without them what would you be doing?
This is where people misunderstand my point.

I don't think PKs ruined the game because they could PK people. I think their irresponsible abuse of that ability caused the devs to ruin the game to keep everyone that was fed up with their behavior from canceling their accounts and going elsewhere.

H

Heartseeker

You were a little kid then and have a distorted view of what happened then.

Your posts of late are very different from a while ago.

Is it really you posting????

phantus

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
this game was built with the intent of PvP
Incorrect.

Something I think the classic shard would need is double the EM's a regular shard has. Not a big resource drain IMO and it would be akin to emulating the seers and early gm's work that used to happen back so many years ago. It would help to create a little more of what was.

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

You were a little kid then and have a distorted view of what happened then.

Your posts of late are very different from a while ago.

Is it really you posting????
Of course its me!

And I don't think my view is distorted at all. I have had a good deal of time to consider what happened to the game I loved, and I firmly believe that if more PKs had shown some restraint, a solution as extreme as a PVP switch/world split would not have been required.

I will admit, reading the posts of so many people that are essentially scare to death of Fel has made me sort of re-think some of my positions. I don't think that a full open PvP scenario, like the one we had in '97, would be viable today...I just don't. And honestly, even with a more advanced justice system, I am not convinced that a Classic Shard would hold the attention span of enough of the current players to make it successful.

I am not saying that there shouldn't be a Classic Shard. I think that EA owes that much to the veterans of the game. Vet rewards are nice, but how about giving us back what you took from us??

-and yes, I will be working on my story on the Atlantic forum again at some point...I have a major case of writers block going on at the moment!-

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

I think one of the biggest problems that Classic UO had was that an 'us vs. them' mentality developed between PvPers and non-PvPers. That still seems to exist today. Both sides hurl insults at one another here, flame one another, and generally spit venom at each other. Both sides need to understand that if that is going to be the case with a Classic Shard, then there is no realistic way that the devs will be able to pull it off without Tram.

As a couple of the posters here have pointed out, the non-PvPers need to understand that in order to be a part of a richer, more immersive world, that there has to be greater risk...and a greater degree of danger and realism.

However, the hardcore PKs need to understand that they cannot simply repeat the behavior that led to the world split, otherwise, even if the devs never split the Classic Shard (assuming one is created, and that it doesn't include Tram) it would turn into the same empty ghost town that Fel is on every shard now.

The lack of a middle ground is what caused the split. Don't you guys get that?

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't think a middle ground is an option many of the posters playing reds are willing to consider. What they do is what is fun for them, that it is not to others is irrelevent.

That this attitude ended their fun is what has to be gotten through to them. If they drive out any weaker player by constantly PKing them so those players can't have fun playing UO, those players won't stay, and their fun ends.

Even someone as anti-PK and pro tram rule-set as I am would be willing to risk getting mugged by a PKer off and on. Just not getting mugged as a routine thing.

Nails

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
the only way this will happen is if they convert one of the dead shards, there are several, and offer existing residents xfers if they choose to leave. I would be surprised to see another shard ever open with current player base. if anything we need to condense and drop some shards

U

Unsatisfied

Do I have to lock it?
Whats got you thinking about locking it? I've seen about 2 flames, not even bad ones in a thread with a lot of very different views/arguments of about 130 posts, thats pretty damn good.

H

Heartseeker

I think one of the biggest problems that Classic UO had was that an 'us vs. them' mentality developed between PvPers and non-PvPers. That still seems to exist today. Both sides hurl insults at one another here, flame one another, and generally spit venom at each other. Both sides need to understand that if that is going to be the case with a Classic Shard, then there is no realistic way that the devs will be able to pull it off without Tram.

As a couple of the posters here have pointed out, the non-PvPers need to understand that in order to be a part of a richer, more immersive world, that there has to be greater risk...and a greater degree of danger and realism.

However, the hardcore PKs need to understand that they cannot simply repeat the behavior that led to the world split, otherwise, even if the devs never split the Classic Shard (assuming one is created, and that it doesn't include Tram) it would turn into the same empty ghost town that Fel is on every shard now.

I don't think "you" get it.

This you and me stuff only happened after the split and not before.

Before the split there was real community, while now you have essentially a single player game.

PK's before were nothing like the PK's in Fel now.

And Fel being empty has nothing to do with them; more to do with game overall.

As far as people who play UO on production Shards, I agree that many only want Trammel.

The thing is there is a lot more players that play on Classic servers than there is on EA's.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Since we seem to have reached a point where we've stopped getting anywhere in convincing the other side to see things our way, let's get the non-con PvPer & Pker's ideas on what could be done to make a Classic Shard fun for them.

The view most commonly expressed is that players not willing to be killed should just expect & accept it, or shouldn't be playing the Classic Shard anyways. It would seem that this will result in only PvPers & PKers eventually since those constantly getting killed will go elsewhere to have fun. While the PvPers will still have PvPers to fight, the players going elsewhere to have fun will leave the PK crowd with little to do. What can be done to avoid this situation on a non-con PvP Classic Shard?

H

Heartseeker

I don't think a middle ground is an option many of the posters playing reds are willing to consider. What they do is what is fun for them, that it is not to others is irrelevent.

That this attitude ended their fun is what has to be gotten through to them. If they drive out any weaker player by constantly PKing them so those players can't have fun playing UO, those players won't stay, and their fun ends.

Even someone as anti-PK and pro tram rule-set as I am would be willing to risk getting mugged by a PKer off and on. Just not getting mugged as a routine thing.
Look, there are many servers that cater to the Trammel play style.

Let there be a Classic one that caters to open Pvp.

People who don't want to engage in it don't have to.

Why are some of you trying to Trammelise the only Shard that might offer this?

We don't want open Pvp on regular shards, just this one.

H

Heartseeker

Since we seem to have reached a point where we've stopped getting anywhere in convincing the other side to see things our way, let's get the non-con PvPer & Pker's ideas on what could be done to make a Classic Shard fun for them.

The view most commonly expressed is that players not willing to be killed should just expect & accept it, or shouldn't be playing the Classic Shard anyways. It would seem that this will result in only PvPers & PKers eventually since those constantly getting killed will go elsewhere to have fun. While the PvPers will still have PvPers to fight, the players going elsewhere to have fun will leave the PK crowd with little to do. What can be done to avoid this situation on a non-con PvP Classic Shard?
Typing like that is irritating!

I guess you never played pre Trammel.

The reason is that 80%+ we not Pk's or Pvper's, they were just regular players who on occasion were involved in Pvp.

There a lot of people that would like to have the original rule set that came with this game upon release.

As a whole it was a lot more exciting no matter what you did.

H

Heartseeker

Look, there are many servers that cater to the Trammel play style.
All are tainted by AOS. Many of us who prefer Tram hate those AOS changes.

Why are some of you trying to Trammelise the only Shard that might offer this?
We want to get rid of AOS and get back to a skill-based game.
You'll be bored after a week.

The original had a lot less monster types, much less to craft, and a lot less skills and templates.

But to the Pvp oriented that is all good; but is it good for the regular Trammel player now???

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Typing like that is irritating!
I know, but it will also stand out when people scroll down the page.

I'm hoping for some discussion on that topic. I don't think a plain non-con-PvP Classic Shard will happen after what happened to inspire the creation of Trammel. If such a shard can happen, then it's just a matter of copying it and putting the Tram ruleset on the copy to give those of us who don't like PvP an AOS free world to play.

I'm not going to give up on that dream easily.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

The original had a lot less monster types, much less to craft, and a lot less skills and templates.

But to the Pvp oriented that is all good; but is it good for the regular Trammel player now???
I looked up a list of the publishes and I think it will be. They may decide to do publishs to it as well if requested. Just so it stays skill-based. :)

U

Unsatisfied

The pro fel crowd isnt going to budge,

The pro tram side isnt going to budge,

The polls atm are showing about 70% fel 30% tram

Make two shards, you'll find out which is more successful and hopefully when the tram crowd realizes how boring the tram only ruleset gets on their shard they will come and help populate the fel shard for a bit of a challenge, rather than just quitting the classic shard idea and going back to prodo shards. The fel shard will still get populated regardless cos most of the people who have been showing interest coming back to the game if the classic shard is made seem to want fel only.

Guido_LS

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Actually, the answer would be yes, to a degree. We all like our challenges served up differently - for some, it's PvP, and I won't argue that true PvP far exceeds PvM - you just can't have good AI in PvM, at least in UO. But personally, I would prefer the challenges of days gone by, where fighting OL's, and taming Dragons/Mares, required team effort.

I think the biggest point being missed, across the board, is that us 'Trammies' aren't against a classic shard, per se. I wouldn't even be opposed to it being reverted to the old pre-Trammel days, period. But the only way it would be possible is to have the ability to exist without non-con PvP. I used to PvP before AoS. Not as a lifestyle choice, but as a survival tool. I wasn't good, nor was I bad. I could hold my own under certain circumstances. But it wasn't something I enjoyed. I preferred being the craftsman/storekeeper type. But in order to do that, one had to have access to the resources. And there were more than a few that liked to make sure that people that wanted to play that style of game were made miserable, just for the sake of causing misery.

The fact that people aren't capable of understanding that, or even acknowledging that those particular circumstances did exist, and early on, to excess, is what is causing such a great divide over this topic.

You see, we LIKED UO pre-AoS just as much as you folks did. Perhaps even more so, from a crafters perspective, because a crafter would have just as much, if not more, of a reputation than any noto/pk/red/pvp'er. Now, everyone either does it for themself, or runs around in faction/arty suits that totally negate the need for the community based crafter. AoS ruined the game for us, too - perhaps to an even higher degree than it did for the PvP crowd.

So yeah, we'd like a return to *OUR* glory days as well.

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

I think the biggest point being missed, across the board, is that us 'Trammies' aren't against a classic shard, per se.
Oh, I imagine that if I really wanted to invest the time, I could dig up a pretty exhaustive list of "Trammies" from other threads that have pretty much said no to any version of a classic shard because it is a "waste of resources".

But I think you are right to a certain extent...and think this is the point that the PKers need to understand:

The old days of running around and killing every player you see are gone, even if there is a Classic Shard, with the original ruleset. Say it is a day 1 launch even, with zero changes...it would not take long, a couple of weeks tops, before the shard would be basically empty like Fel is now.

Heartseeker:
You say that Fel is not empty because of PKers/PvPers. I agree with that statement. Fel is empty because people have a choice now...and the vast majority of the UO players today choose not to go there.

I don't know much about private/free/pirate shards...so I will have to take your word for it, but I do wonder how many of those same people playing on those shards would do so if there was a monthly fee associated with them like there is EA shards.

I guess this debate/sharing of ideas is sort of getting mired down in the old Fel/Tram issues, so I will probably drop out of the conversation for a while, unless some new ideas are presented. This "I want it my way, and my way only" attitude presented by both sides just proves my point that a Classic Shard is probably not going to be successful no matter what they do. It's only if both sides can understand, abide by, and respect the other side's playstyle that a true 'do over' could take place, because with intolerance on both sides, a split, in one form or another (devs split the world, or one side just doesn't bother to play on the shard) is bound to happen eventually...and then we are right back on the road that led to Pub 16 and AoS. And I have no desire to see that, or anything similar to it, happen again.

K

Keep Hope Alive

The beauty of a classic shard is being able to beat up a blue occasionally if they ever stepped out of line.

I was never much of a PVPer and definitely never a roaming PK. But when a group of my blue friends and I would be camping a popular spawn sight and another kill-stealing blue player would rudely intrude on our fun, we would have the option to attack that player. Sometimes we would kill him and get rid of him. Sometimes we would be attacked back and be killed instead. Sometimes, we would kill the rude individual only to have him bring back a group of his friends who would chase us away or beat us senseless.

In Trammel all you can do is TALK to other irritating players. With a classic shard you can TAKE ACTION. Yes, you can take action in Felucca, but we all know that there are few players actually hunting in Felucca on a Felucca/Trammel shard. Give us a Felucca-only ruleset classic shard where we can take matters into our own hands.

Keep hope alive.

S

Sadrith Mora

Just to help clear up any misconceptions about UO's past, here are some quotes from Lead Designer Raph Koster and Senior Producer Rich Vogel taken from various UOHOC chats in 1998 commenting on the anti-social issues that were plaguing the game at the time.

DesignerD - We feel that PKing is rampant and badly needs to be restrained. Our intent with the new reputation system is to channel those who wish to engage in pk towards guilds and other forms of "legal" warfare where they do not prey on innocents
DesignerD - Those who do prey on innocents will get very very harsh penalties, intentionally

DesignerD - We definitely want to solve the problems with excessive player thievery in UO, and there's a variety of things we can do there. First of all, is of course plugging the holes that the exploit programs are using
DesignerD - which this new update does
DesignerD - After that happens, we'll assess what we can do to help the legitimate, interesting, role-played thief, and harm the obnoxious, bank lurking, pkill-oriented, hit and run rude throwaway ghost thief

DD - I have grown cynical enough to think that players don't need "evil" skills to be evil to one another. They do it regardless :p
DD - As it is now, everyone hates thieves. (Yes, thieves, you may well admit it). Nobody currently likes a thief except the thief himself. In fact, even other thieves don't like the PvP thief.

RVogel - I don't like PvP thieves..They are disruptive and hurt the online experience for many players. I am recommending these changes
RVogel - to channel the thieves away from player into a profession that is more about adventuring
RVogel - and not about promoting anti-social behavior

DesignerD - They started doing something about harassment already
DesignerD - the order is out to crack down, and they have been for the last few days

--------------------------------------

The only logical and worthwhile period to try to accurately replicate back then would be right before the renaissance after the important issues were being addressed throughout 1999, and the 'cleanup britannia' phases coming to completion in early 2000 which left the shards running much smoother afterwards. I can't imagine the dev's even considering trying to replicate the first half of '98 with the exploitable notoriety system. That just wouldn't fly. It would have to be customized in a way to remove the exploits, which would only change the way it really was back then anyway. (ie crazy)

So mostlikely, it will be some kind of custom version one way or another if they are even seriously considering making a classic pre-ren shard at all.

Some food for thought...

E

Evlar

Just to help clear up any misconceptions about UO's past, here are some quotes from Lead Designer Raph Koster and Senior Producer Rich Vogel taken from various UOHOC chats in 1998 commenting on the anti-social issues that were plaguing the game at the time.

DesignerD - We feel that PKing is rampant and badly needs to be restrained. Our intent with the new reputation system is to channel those who wish to engage in pk towards guilds and other forms of "legal" warfare where they do not prey on innocents
DesignerD - Those who do prey on innocents will get very very harsh penalties, intentionally

DesignerD - We definitely want to solve the problems with excessive player thievery in UO, and there's a variety of things we can do there. First of all, is of course plugging the holes that the exploit programs are using
DesignerD - which this new update does
DesignerD - After that happens, we'll assess what we can do to help the legitimate, interesting, role-played thief, and harm the obnoxious, bank lurking, pkill-oriented, hit and run rude throwaway ghost thief

DD - I have grown cynical enough to think that players don't need "evil" skills to be evil to one another. They do it regardless :p
DD - As it is now, everyone hates thieves. (Yes, thieves, you may well admit it). Nobody currently likes a thief except the thief himself. In fact, even other thieves don't like the PvP thief.

RVogel - I don't like PvP thieves..They are disruptive and hurt the online experience for many players. I am recommending these changes
RVogel - to channel the thieves away from player into a profession that is more about adventuring
RVogel - and not about promoting anti-social behavior

DesignerD - They started doing something about harassment already
DesignerD - the order is out to crack down, and they have been for the last few days

--------------------------------------

The only logical and worthwhile period to try to accurately replicate back then would be right before the renaissance after the important issues were being addressed throughout 1999, and the 'cleanup britannia' phases coming to completion in early 2000 which left the shards running much smoother afterwards. I can't imagine the dev's even considering trying to replicate the first half of '98 with the exploitable notoriety system. That just wouldn't fly. It would have to be customized in a way to remove the exploits, which would only change the way it really was back then anyway. (ie crazy)

So mostlikely, it will be some kind of custom version one way or another if they are even seriously considering making a classic pre-ren shard at all.

Some food for thought...
Reading the quoted content from UOHOC was actually quite insightful into the mindset of the developers at the time.

Personally, I played a thief character at one time. I also fell victim to thieves whilst playing as other characters. I don't believe I was a rampant thief on that character, it was just "another" challenge and play-style. I certainly saw no point in deliberately trying to annoy other players or cause grief. Normally, if someone appeared to take a "theft" personally and got upset, I actually felt guilty and gave the stolen item back. :sad3:

As for when I was the victim, I simply didn't take it personally. At the time, the game wasn't as item driven as it is today, meant that most often what I lost to a thief, I could replace easily enough with one of my crafters.

The fact that there was:

1) Players who abused a player versus player "skill" to cause grief.

2) Players who took any attack/theft very personally.

...shows why we are where we are today. Lack of understanding from different perspectives. The problem though, is that invariably the knee-jerk reaction from developers arguably cause further damage to the credibility of the game. Should we blame the developers at all, is another factor for consideration, when they must work within the constraints of the publishers demands.

For what it's worth, I would much rather developers took a bolder stance. If they don't feel that a particular "skill" benefits the game any more, instead of nerfing it to oblivion, they should remove it from the game all together.

There's a lot of skills still "available", which have little to no point in having. That clearly being the case, they should have been removed years ago. The pretence of a skill serves nothing other than to cause frustration and disillusionment.

I much prefer that they were honest an up-front. Come out and say "Look everyone, we tried this... it hasn't worked as we liked, so we're taking it out completely". You'll inevitably get those who would complain, but I believe the wider audience would have more respect for the frankness of the developer.

I'm afraid there's little about current UO that actually makes me want to play the game any more. Before Restroom Cowboy jumps in (or anyone else) with the inevitable "Can I Have Ur Stuff?" comment, frankly, yes... you can, when my account runs out in July. If they make a classic shard at some point, then I won't be needing the production shard "stuff" I've accumulated since 1999. If they don't, then same thing. Most of the "items" I have are more memorabilia of good times whilst playing UO, than "uber" items of the modern age. Before my account expires, they'll be given to people who want and appreciate them on Europa.

I just want to play on a server where PvP is there, but simply a "part" of the game like any other. If there's a reason and a purpose to PvP, then I'll always participate more. I enjoyed Order/Chaos. It gave it a purpose for me. I enjoyed playing as a red, although more as a role-play angle. I enjoyed hunting reds for bounty, as a group, or simply for the challenge that hunting a "person" offered over the predictable nature of a "monster".

I wish for a return to the days when items weren't as important as skills. Days when the crafter was a central figure in the community, interacting with all manner of people, from PvP'ers to PvM'ers, roleplayers to home-makers. A smith or tailor is little else than a supporting role for an imbuer these days, in my opinion.

UO is dead? No it isn't... not to the fans of item-based "just like any other game" gameplay. Not to the "I've got to have it now", short attention span, little effort players of many different games. The fact EA/Mythic are selling more "items" now, directly, for a price, from their website... tells it's own story. They can profit from "items". They will obviously look to generate more income in any way they can from a dwindling audience. They've a business to run, after all.

Dead to me? Yes. I yearn for the "classic" style of gameplay I enjoyed most around the Second Age of the game. I still even have the original game box and CD from then.

Do I think a "classic" shard through EA/Mythic will be a reality? It's more hope than belief. Frankly, the way the gaming industry is heading, especially MMO's, I don't believe it will. Everyone wants a slice of the success that Blizzard has enjoyed with Wow. Nobody is bold enough to do something different to get there at the moment. Therefore everyone else is looking at a niche audience.

A "classic" shard would be a niche audience, but the more I think about it, the more I feel that to get sufficient subscribers, no matter the arguments about it being "low maintenance", it would have to be publicised well to draw new players, not just existing players or an as yet random number of returning players. Past evidence shows that even with their core game, they're not exactly busting a gut to do much external advertising or promotion for UO.

Perhaps I'm just an "older" gamer who lives in the past too much when it comes to something like UO. Strange thing is, I can load DOSBOX and play something like the X-COM series, reminisce for a little while, then play something "new", like Mass Effect 2 and enjoy it just as much.

I think it's more that I've been around UO for over ten years, watched it go in a direction I'm increasingly frustrated and unhappy with. To that you might ask "why still play it?".

UO has always had the potential to offer something that other sandbox games have struggled to offer me. To play in a world where the users dictate the course of the game, more than be dictated to. The community has always been a big draw in me coming back repeatedly. That community has evolved over time, just as the game has. It's not the same as the community I loved before.

So, there will be a bun-fight for "items" when I quit for good in July no doubt. I would love to return to a "classic" UO at some point in the future and I would enjoy starting from scratch.

Enough of the wall of text from me. I'll most likely be an interested observer from this point, rather than tread ground with comments I've repeated many times. Until such a time that a "classic" shard is reality, I bid you all a fond "farewell". :thumbup1:

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I personally am against a classic shard for a few reasons that i don't feel like argueing about, as they are my own opinion.

That being said, i liked Morgana's idea about a classic shard with no tram, but with some simple fixes to the reason tram was put in. I am a pvper by heart but i would be interesting in seeing what idea could be kicked around with this.

But, i keep comming back to this for my personal sake. I really don't care to see any more servers opened up with the population as low as it is on most servers. A classic shard would just ship more people off the main shards imo. Now if they could somehow reel in some of the shards, and condense them with keeping ppl happy, then by all means, turn on a classic shard.

B

BlackMagus

But, i keep comming back to this for my personal sake. I really don't care to see any more servers opened up with the population as low as it is on most servers. A classic shard would just ship more people off the main shards imo. Now if they could somehow reel in some of the shards, and condense them with keeping ppl happy, then by all means, turn on a classic shard.
Like, close down all main shards and move people to three T2A ruleset shards? Awesome!

j/k :lol:

G

Gowron

OK, this thread has gotten quite rediculous in my opinion.

People are calling their arguements as being in favor of a "Classic Shard", and then want the things that make it very much unclassic.

In a Classic Shard these are the properties that go into it:
-It is what we know now as "Felucca Ruleset".
-However, there were true consequences for going "red" and for going "grey", for that matter.
-There is NO customizable houses. You have your two dozen or so to pick from. That's it.
-Combat specials are randomized based on the fighting skill and/or weapon.

If you are piecemealing and picking and choosing from features that have come with or since UO:R, all you are doing is attempting to create a customizable shard and NOT a Classic Shard. The argument of a Trammel Only Classic Shard is a true oxymoron, and no longer warrants any due consideration whatsoever.

Also, I would like to point out that people are presenting suppositions as facts. Just because you think a Classic Shard will make people come back or significantly increase subscriptions for EA, that DOES NOT MAKE IT TRUE. Also, I doubt very seriously that anyone has actually conducted some serious polling throughout the worldwide UO players/former UO players to actually have the empirical evidence to back up any of these claims.

Personally, I am intrigued with the concept of a Classic Shard. However, due to the fact that there is so much separation in opinions as to what should and shouldn't go into it, and an increase in EA time and resources to establish and manage that it is not likely to happen.

Congrats to the OP, this may be the only one left unlocked, but in the end, there was no new discussion fostered that hasn't been discussed over the last couple years.

Status
Not open for further replies.