Classic shard.

• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Santa Claus

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jun 24, 2008
One possiblity would be that people assume a shard run by a company will not get closed down by whim and may have customer support from a dedicated company. Also they could advertise freely to attract old/new players again without of fear of copyright laws.

I doubt most old style UO players know that there are freeshard.
Question for EA would be, are they still interested in returning?
Are there enough of them? Can we reach them? And can we suck enough money from them?

U

Unsatisfied

Cloak‡1641697 said:
Why would people pay for something they can get for free? I am not sure why everyone seems to over look the fact that the old players are either already enjoying their "classic" shard, or are not coming back.
I've addressed this about 10 times but I guess it WAS in threads that have since been closed so I'll do it again.

People will quit free shards and come back to the real uo because....
1) free shards have "player" admin, which usually can mean unprofessional, do things that effect the shard on a whim etc. Even the most professional of free shards people still have their doubts re admin.
2) free shards live off donations, therefor if you have money irl you can buy whatever you want so easily. Gold, 7xgm skill balls, 225 stat balls, turn your red instantly blue, cbds, neon hair... Pretty much anything. This makes for a ruined econemy and also makes it very hard for players that don't wanna waste rl money to get ahead.
3) people are always scared free shard owners may get bored one day and stop running it. Gg hard work
4) multi clinting, depending on the free shard you can create a number if accounts for free. And run a lot of them at the same time as well, 4, 5 accounts full of characters all running at the same time.
5) lag. Unless your playing on one of the few that have made a lot of money from donations, your gonna have a badass lagfest, frequent shut downs and crashes.
6) world saves. They don't have server lines, they have world saves. Once every x ammount of time the whole shard will pause and save. Depending on the size of the shard and playerbase, this can take up to a few minutes. It's very annoying mid anything.

There's a few things off the top of my head that I have brought up before.

D

Dwarven Smith

:thumbup1:

I for one am stoked...

On a whim I decided to see if my favorite MMORPG was even still alive???

To my amazement it is...

I left UO shortly after the release of AoS, well about a year after it...It simply ruined a great game for me...

I joined UO just a few months before Tram went live, so yes I like Trammel,but have ran a PvP Guild...

Prior to Tram, I ran 2 accounts 1 Blue, 1 Red...
Go ahead you can admit it to guys, it's ok we all know... :lol:

Have had many a run in with TDR and BC on Great Lakes...PvP became all about the Item and wether you were sporting a full set of Arti's on your scrolled out character...You know, do you have your blessed Crimson Cincture, or your Hunters Headress, your ect. ect. ect. ???

It no longer had hardly anything to do with your skill or technique...

I very much miss the days of plain old Ruinic/Might/Power and Vanq...A nice Shinny Blue set of GM Crafted Valorite Plate, or my favorite Shadow Plate, GM Sword/LJ Shinning in Black...Thing is it didn't matter back then...If you had the skill you could run around in your Bvd's with your Vanq Halberd and own in PvP, if you were really good it was a GM Crafted Blade...I miss Fel Brit Graveyard with a half hour,(or was it 15 mins),till server down...The gathering of Tramites and Felucans alike, all suited in there best knowing nothing would be lost because the servers had already saved...

Some may call that strange but lets be honest..Back then how many of us brought out our best, unless we were lucky enuff to have an item blessed... Knowing full well in all the battles and confrontations in Fel,it was pretty much a guarentee you where going to loose them eventually...

I killed Lich's & LL's for at least week to get my first decent Power Weapon,(Silver Power Katana,man i miss that thing)...By a week I meen a week of 12 hour plus session days...I was LUCKY...

I guess what I'm trying to say is:

1) If somehow the UO Gods can be convienced to revive the olden days, I for one would return...I know several others as well I am still in contact with...

2) I meen the days of pre- Power Scrolls (YUCK!!!)

3) Pre RUNICS (OMG YUCK)

4) Pre Factions (SRY to many rules, it's PvP just go out with your guild)

5) Take us back to a time when Trammel was New and Fel was Fel...I could have my Red AND Blue and they both had a home...

6) 700 skill cap !!!

7) 225 stats (I meen come on who the heck needs more ???)

8) Although LRC is cool, to much other junk came along for the ride...

9) Issurance although great, also came with to much other JUNK...

Thx for readin my ramblings...

OHH, and my RED's name on GL was "Zedd"...

(Without Laughter, Life is just to Dang Short)

Darn

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Feb 3, 2006
There is nothing much to discuss from my side. I just want to say this:

If there ever will be a classic shard, I will immediately renew my account.

U

Unsatisfied

Two quick posts from two more people like me who will renew their account if a classic shard implemented :) keep posting if your someone who has stumbled here with an inactive account that wants to come back for classic!

M

macroplanet

I started playing Ultima Online in 1999, so it was amidst of the second age. That is classic UO to me.

I too am a player that quit UO after AoS, about a year or so. I've come back now and then, but never stayed more than a month.

There is one thing I want the developers to know. If a classic shard were to be created, I would most definitively be signing up for EA's UO again. I have been waiting for this day for a very long time and I hope it comes.

Kaleb

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 12, 2008
One possiblity would be that people assume a shard run by a company will not get closed down by whim and may have customer support from a dedicated company. Also they could advertise freely to attract old/new players again without of fear of copyright laws.

I doubt most old style UO players know that there are freeshard.
Question for EA would be, are they still interested in returning?
Are there enough of them? Can we reach them? And can we suck enough money from them?
On a very popular Freeshard I play, Word has already gotten to them that EA may be planning to open a "Classic" shard. Most I have talked to are very much excited and are ready to open their accounts as soon as it launches.

Orgional Farimir

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sep 19, 2009
I started back in 98 or 99 I think.... It was right after T2A came out and I stoped playing about 1 month after Luna came out and I just started playing again about7 months ago.

For me "classic" would be the 2nd age. Some of the best times I had in game was when we were at the bone wall in decit working swords or what ever then going to the "gas pit" in decit to work healing.

Someone made a comment that what made UO "classic" was the community and those people aren't coming back. That is true, but what made the community so strong were the months upon months you would work your skills with a group of people and the bond you formed. If they come out with a classic shard with out Tram so the population would not be split up it shouldn't be that hard to form a thriving community.

W

wills

If you go by the message board activity here, and on other sites, it does feel like this has reached an inflection point. But I do think we may be shouting into the wind to some degree. Barring a demonstrable number of old players who would return for a classic shard, the developers are going to do what they're going to do. Kaleb, perhaps tell those free shard players to voice their opinions in some way-- if enough of them do, maybe it matters. Hearsay's nice (and on our side), but seeing it is better. The fact is, it comes down to resources. I imagine a classic shard might be interesting to the developers, too, in an alternate history kind of way. But again, resources! Of course, this would be a moot point if there's good evidence that a large number of players would return for a classic shard and again fill the coffers.

I do think enough people would return, but do the people who actually matter think so-- that's the issue.

Kaleb

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 12, 2008
Kaleb, perhaps tell those free shard players to voice their opinions in some way-- if enough of them do, maybe it matters. Hearsay's nice (and on our side), but seeing it is better. The fact is, it comes down to resources. I imagine a classic shard might be interesting to the developers, too, in an alternate history kind of way. But again, resources! Of course, this would be a moot point if there's good evidence that a large number of players would return for a classic shard and again fill the coffers.

I do think enough people would return, but do the people who actually matter think so-- that's the issue.

Hearsay? They are currently weighing the Pro's and Con's. So in effect the players who are for it are voicing their opinions on it. Inactive players are posting here, keep in mind only a very small UO player percentage post anything on any type of forums be it if they play EA or Freeservers.

"quote" Calvin Crowner
Next: is there ever going to be a classic shard? I will tell you … it’s a good idea … in theory. In practice it gets a LOT more complicated. We had a Saturday lunch recently (the same method we used when we were developing for Stygian Abyss), and discussed the benefits and costs (resource and impact to community) for developing a Classic shard. First we discussed what does a Classic Shard really mean? We came up with some core ideas and left it at that. There are several other things surrounding the implementation, and we almost have it nailed. Will we do it? I don’t know and cant’ say for certain, but at some point we will put the idea to rest one way or another, and we hope to make that decision this year.

G

Gowron

Yes it is Pub 15 or prior, and I believe there should be no 2 ruleset classic shards, they need a couple that are fel only, and a couple that are tram only.
I do believe that Classic Shard has been accepted to be pre-Tram. There is no reason to have a "Tram Classic Shard". Any arguement made for this is just lame, and in no way is applicable to this thread.

W

wills

Kaleb,

You misunderstood me. I was referring to hearsay regarding players on free shards saying they will come back. What I was trying to say was that you should tell them to voice their opinions here, or in any other venue that might be seen by the people making decisions, as that would help the cause (I'm with you, obviously).

Seeing is believing, etc.

Surgeries

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Mar 18, 2004
Ugh, seriously, what servers did people play on that there was this rampant pking? I mean, I played Atlantic, Catskills and Chessapeak, during peak hours when A LOT of people were on and I rarely ran into reds. I died more from guild wars, monsters, and traped dungeon chests combined than I did by PKers. Over my 3 years, from November 20, 1997 up till February of 2003 when I left Felucca, I was PK'd, grand total across the three servers I played on and the 15 characters I had, no more than 15 times. And it wasnt 15 times in a row. It was 15 times across the period of years.

And even then, the reds I did encounter, usually worked alone or in pairs.

I...I seriously dont know where people keep getting it from......

Anyway, they had a pretty good system with the perma red. The best form of dealing with reds is player enforced justice. Because, when you think about it, the only way to keep any sort of problem in check is if the players can deal with it directly, as opposed to relying on an artifical game system to protect them.
The players were 100% ineffective at Player Justice. 100% Failure Rate.

When you kill anyone, they simply get rezzed. No real challenge there, right?

Plus it is a never ending hopeless spiral, as well.

The person that got killed gets rezzed...they either stop trying, or they are the minority YOU are looking for that goes and recruits 156 other people, and they come back for their own Player Justice. Then, the other group that was outnumbered goes and gets 50 more people than the 150 people group had.

This is your fantasyland. This is the part of your world that crumbles in these forced PvP scenario.

Otherwise, on your shard, right now, there would be a 1,200 person force looking for another 250 players to join their raiding party.

Not the case. Fel is a ghost land just because most people are not interested in Non Con PvP. We know you and the vocal minority here are, but you certainly are not the majority in EA/Mythic land...not the majority at all. Otherwise, by now it certainly would be a reality for all of you folks.

However, if a shard dedicated to Classic was made, then maybe the 18 people that only play in Fel on all 27 "Ghostly" shards, could get together on the new Classic Shard?

That could work...except then they may have to close the Fel Facets on those shards, maybe...such a paradox, indeed.

I will say that EA knows if this is worthwhile, not me. And if they do, it would certainly represent a huge reversal of their views on it for 10+ years, for sure.

I wish you all luck.

:)

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 28, 2003
United States
Yes it is Pub 15 or prior, and I believe there should be no 2 ruleset classic shards, they need a couple that are fel only, and a couple that are tram only.
I do believe that Classic Shard has been accepted to be pre-Tram. There is no reason to have a "Tram Classic Shard". Any arguement made for this is just lame, and in no way is applicable to this thread.

I'd like to see a Classic shard with the tram ruleset be available in case whatever is done to control rampant Pking in the popular Classic Shard doesn't work well.

There are players who wouldn't return to a PvP Classic Shard because of their past experience with non-con PvP. Having a Tram ruleset Classic Shard as an alternative would pull in those additional players.

H

Heartseeker

Ugh, seriously, what servers did people play on that there was this rampant pking? I mean, I played Atlantic, Catskills and Chessapeak, during peak hours when A LOT of people were on and I rarely ran into reds. I died more from guild wars, monsters, and traped dungeon chests combined than I did by PKers. Over my 3 years, from November 20, 1997 up till February of 2003 when I left Felucca, I was PK'd, grand total across the three servers I played on and the 15 characters I had, no more than 15 times. And it wasnt 15 times in a row. It was 15 times across the period of years.

Anyway, they had a pretty good system with the perma red. The best form of dealing with reds is player enforced justice. Because, when you think about it, the only way to keep any sort of problem in check is if the players can deal with it directly, as opposed to relying on an artifical game system to protect them.

The person that got killed gets rezzed...they either stop trying, or they are the minority YOU are looking for that goes and recruits 156 other people, and they come back for their own Player Justice. Then, the other group that was outnumbered goes and gets 50 more people than the 150 people group had.

This is your fantasyland. This is the part of your world that crumbles in these forced PvP scenario.

Otherwise, on your shard, right now, there would be a 1,200 person force looking for another 250 players to join their raiding party.

Not the case. Fel is a ghost land just because most people are not interested in Non Con PvP. We know you and the vocal minority here are, but you certainly are not the majority in EA/Mythic land...not the majority at all. Otherwise, by now it certainly would be a reality for all of you folks.

However, if a shard dedicated to Classic was made, then maybe the 18 people that only play in Fel on all 27 "Ghostly" shards, could get together on the new Classic Shard?

That could work...except then they may have to close the Fel Facets on those shards, maybe...such a paradox, indeed.

I will say that EA knows if this is worthwhile, not me. And if they do, it would certainly represent a huge reversal of their views on it for 10+ years, for sure.

I wish you all luck.

You're full of it alright.

You wish people luck?

After your condescending tirade?

This Classic idea might not happen; but many people support it.

If you look around on your shard you most likely see nobody; maybe, just maybe if this gets implemented you might actually see people in game again.

Ahuaeyjnkxs

stranger diamond
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nov 16, 2008
Siege Perillous Community
I'm the only one who can possibly know what needs to be done, for having destroyed a shard and absorbed its essence.

But I can't talk about it or I'll get banned. Sorry...

S

swatpup102

I was talking about this very concept today and thought I'd check to see what UO has been up to. I stopped playing after AOS as well.

To my surprise and excitement I see this idea actually being floated! I will tell you, if EA opened up a classic chard being T2A, trammel or not, I'd re-up immediately. Love the game that way, and nothing has ever come close to the fun it was to play that way. Please oh please let this be so. I signed up for the forum today to post my support as a former die hard UO player who would come back.

T

Trebr Drab

I wish you all luck.

First of all, I don't know how anyone who was there can say that PKers weren't all over the place. However, it did slow down a little when they added the various forms of justice systems. Just not nearly enough. And the reason it didn't slow down enough was because they always had loopholes. Yeah, reds had to burn off murder counts, and that slowed them down a bit. Not enough though.

Just a note for those who refuse to believe that UO was bleeding numbers because of rampant PKing. When Star Wars Galaxies was in beta, Raph Koster (who was lead programmer in UO for the first couple of years or so, and then I think the same position at SWG in it's first couple of years) said this, paraphrased: "UO had lost numbers in the 6 digits due to PKing, I kid you not." This was in response to the same sorts of PKers who wanted SWG to be open PK and loot too. 6 digits is 100, 000, minimum. And UO had around 200,000 when they added Trammel. That's about 1/3 of the players at minimum left UO because of PKing, and it might have been much higher. And it only stopped because they removed PKing through Trammel.

I have been saying for years that if a game had a justice system that worked, it would be the best way to go. Because, as we all know, Trammel had lots of problems with griefers still, even without PKing and stealing. The only reason we don't see much of it now is because there's not enough players meeting each other for interaction these days. And that loss of interaction is bad, except for the griefers. But if we had a workable justice system, players could take care fo that kind of griefer themselves. GMs can't be timely nor can they judge who's telling the truth, it just never works that way well.

So I go back to the loopholes in the justice systems they tried. Fix those, and you won't have many PKers, nor griefers, because players can take care of the problems themselves. Those you do have will be great fun for players who want to play the role of justice seekers. And the victims have the satisfaction of knowing their griefers will pay the price. They won't leave if they know that.

It also removes artificial restrictions, and makes UO feel more like a world, which is it's strong point and reason for still being.

M

Megilhir

FLAME FLAME FLAME -RANT RANT RANT-- just kidding.

UO is kinda broke overall. A new "classic" shard wouldn't address the current plethera of failings. From budget to programing to concept to execution to script/botting, things are not good.

There once was a dream called Rome. Rome is gone.

There once was a dream called UO. UO is gone.

Too bad but that is the fact. I feel a great sadness at the lose too.

What is needed is a person of vigor, vision and virtue. Unfortunately for EA I am currently employed elsewhere.

Besides, EA probably wouldn't match my salary and it would take that and a bit more to redirect this slowly sinking, painfully wretched flagship.

There once was a dream....

D

Dwarven Smith

Well, I have to post on this again, for the simple fact I feel so strongly about it...

Some of you folks keep screaming NO TRAMMEL...Thing is UO really took off after the release of Trammel...

Anyone who played back in the day knows that PK'rs where everywhere and relentless...

You could very seldom go out and gather resources without loosing at least a 1/4 to 1/2 your work to PK'rs...

I relize I will probably get flamed for this post, and to be honest it is another reason I left a game I loved so much...

With the addition of Trammel it gave people the ability to chose wether or not they wanted to PvP...You could, thru your char, lead a full and innoccent life Tram side...You also had the option of living Tram side but still doing PvP...The honor system was kinda enforced thru the murder count system for simple fact your red could not ge back to trammel...Fighting was more honorable in some cases because of this...Yes, you could work off counts..It was a pain and took forever...It was awesome to be able to have my crafters safe in Tram and able to keep all my chars outfitted in safety...

Anyone thinkin a purely Fel Classic would bring people back is wrong, sorry but think about this...Numbers don't Lie...More people subscribed and played UO once Tram was released...People who had left do to rampant PK'rs and Rez Killers, returned after the launch of Tram and new players were actually able to work and live in relative peace, until they were ready for PvP...I was forced more than once on my crafters to log and grab a fighter class to come chase of a PK'r who would only target chars he knew where not designed or built for battle...It was a never ending loop...Log chase'm off, log back onto crafter...Doh, there he or she is again, log grab mage or fighter, rinse and repeat...It got very very old and on more than one occasion I personally would log to taunts from these so called Player Killers of how much my GM Smith,Tailor,Fisherman,Miner Suxed and how they Roxxerd...Without the addition of Trammel you will not get the return you are expecting...I know I personally would not return to Pre-Tram, and many of the friends I mentioned before more than likely would see it the same...I lived in Fel and loved it, but I also loved being able to hit a gate or use a moonstone and gather my resources in piece...

Let us not even mention the housing shortage Pre-Tram and even after it's opening there wasn't enuff house plots to go around...I am one who liked the old housing system...Having to refresh your houses kept plots available...I would however change the time frames some...Allow for people who may have gotten hurt or had to go out of town unexpected a little more time to save thier homes and belongings...I'm sorry about this to, do you really need to customize a house...Let's add back in the old house deeds to this Classic Shard...I remember foundly my first Log Cabin, Sand Stone and Large Tower Placements...I also have very found memories of my first Small House...

I have never had an account on forums until the other night when I saw this thread...So don't underestimate the unheard masses who don't post...

Come up with a Classic Shard that includes Tram and Fel, has the murder count system or some type of enforced Justice...Be it player or game structure...

I've rambled enuff here I beleave and hopefully others feel as I do...

This thread is starting to read more like an all Fel Classic Shard thread...Than a truly Classic Shard that is a mirror of UO's happier and much more profitable days...

If you need proof just look at the population of Siege during those happier times...Compare it to any other Shard you wish, it will come up way short every time...

Thx Zedd

L

Longest Journey

Longest Journey,

There was rampant pk'ing, rampant thievery, and even harrassment back in the days. If you would look through the old UOHOC chats back in 1998-99, it will verify for you that these issues not only existed, but the devs were well aware, and planned to resolve them.

I don't know why you try to discredit what people have to say. These are actual facts. Look it up.
No, Im going to go by my actual experience in the game, not the BS that was flung on the HOC chats by the whiners who couldnt handle getting PK'd.

All the HOC chats verify is that there were whiners, and a lot of them, and all they did was complain.

And if its those chats that people are basing their judgement of pre trammel on, then you have no idea of how things actually were.

U

Unsatisfied

Well, I have to post on this again, for the simple fact I feel so strongly about it...

Some of you folks keep screaming NO TRAMMEL...Thing is UO really took off after the release of Trammel...

Anyone who played back in the day knows that PK'rs where everywhere and relentless...

You could very seldom go out and gather resources without loosing at least a 1/4 to 1/2 your work to PK'rs...
I think you joined post stat loss am I right? See the thing is, if they bring back pk stat loss and bounty system, as soon as you kill that red thats chasing around your newb characters... He's not coming back for a very long time. How is that not effective player justice? He kills and steals 20 mins of your work. You come back, kill him, or organize people to do it and hes gotta spend hours and hours with that character out of action or face losing skills, then spend hours getting them back to 100.

I know I personally would not return to Pre-Tram, and many of the friends I mentioned before more than likely would see it the same...I lived in Fel and loved it, but I also loved being able to hit a gate or use a moonstone and gather my resources in piece...
At the same time I pretty much know a shard of a few thousand people who wont return if its post tram :( they play their free shards cos its pre tram there are also post tram free shards out there and none of them come close to matching the size, and the activity level of this pre tram classic shard. or any of the 3 or 4 other large ones I know of.

Let us not even mention the housing shortage Pre-Tram and even after it's opening there wasn't enuff house plots to go around...I am one who liked the old housing system...Having to refresh your houses kept plots available...I would however change the time frames some...Allow for people who may have gotten hurt or had to go out of town unexpected a little more time to save thier homes and belongings...I'm sorry about this to, do you really need to customize a house...Let's add back in the old house deeds to this Classic Shard...I remember foundly my first Log Cabin, Sand Stone and Large Tower Placements...I also have very found memories of my first Small House...
I love the housing shortage, 100k for a small house was good. It made it more rewarding to actually own a house, It makes the IDOC community that much bigger as well, if theres spots everywhere and plenty of land you can just go buy a deed and place as you feel then IDOCs only get popular for houses full of loot. not the placement itself.

But yes, house decay needs to be introduced again on a classic shard. MUCH better system.

I have never had an account on forums until the other night when I saw this thread...So don't underestimate the unheard masses who don't post...
Neither have I, but since opening my account here about 3 weeks ago to talk about his topic I've seen a lot more people open new accounts to support a fel only classic shard than people to support a tram only one, in fact I think your the first new account I've seen pop up supporting tram. I've seen 5 supporting fel open in the past day. So your right. Dont underestimate the unheard masses :)

Come up with a Classic Shard that includes Tram and Fel, has the murder count system or some type of enforced Justice...Be it player or game structure...
If there is tram, theres almost no need for a player justice system. You're just covering it all up with an extra safe land mirror. So yes. Introduce a good type of player justice. Bring back stat loss, hell make it more severe stat loss if you want. Just don't cover the whole game with a safe mirror, once again dividing the community.

This thread is starting to read more like an all Fel Classic Shard thread...Than a truly Classic Shard that is a mirror of UO's happier and much more profitable days...
If the thread is reading more and more like a Fel Classic Shard thread then it's because the people replying in it are leaning towards a fel classic shard, because the thread was started with a completely unbiased name, and original post. So the general public has steared it in whatever direction your seeing.

If you need proof just look at the population of Siege during those happier times...Compare it to any other Shard you wish, it will come up way short every time...
You cant take seige as an indicator. 1 char per account, rediculous skill gain systems, past that I'm unsure of what it was really like because I wasnt a part of it. But your probably seeing my point. These arnt things people wanted to deal with to play their classic uo.

U

Unsatisfied

Just wanted to quickly thank everyone in this post for keeping it pretty much flame free so far, theres been disagreements from different angles but flames have been left at home...

Just remember we wanna discuss this, not have another thread closed down and possibly not be allowed to discuss it at all.

Cheers.

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

Comparing Siege to any other shard is invalid. There are other differences, major differences, between Siege and a normal shard beyond the lack of Tram.

I asked a question further up...and I will repost it directly to you...

...would you be interested in a Fel only Classic Shard if a solution to the rampant PKing could be implemented that didn't separate the population, or simply shut it off??

Think about it like this:

Back in the old days, a PKer could, and often would, indiscriminately kill resource gatherers. Most of the time, the resource gatherer had little of value on them. The motivation for the killing was simply griefing. That was the motivation for the majority of random PKs (and yes, there were plenty of them...I was there).

The problem back then was two fold...there was nothing to prevent the PK from randomly killing a player beyond having to wait out counts. Most PKs I knew back then were gankers that traveled in packs, and didn't really care about being red (once counts were instituted instead of noto). There was no artificial prevention (Tram, PVP switch, etc) and no in-game prevention to speak of in the form of player justice. There was some of course, my guild was one...but we were one of only a scant few.

The other part of the problem was that there was no disincentive to PKing beyond counts and the threat of stat loss.

Some kind of system would need to be implemented to make certain that if a PK came upon a resource gatherer, for example, that he or she would seriously need to consider killing that player. Some kind of negative consequence for that action must exist beyond murder counts. That was tried...it didn't work.

A classic shard, if they are going to do one, should be a do-over, in my opinion. The introduction of Tram basically destroyed this game. Some will disagree, but try and follow this time line:

- Game launched
- Noto changed to Rep
- Long term counts added
- PK issue still not solved, solutions discussed by devs including Good/Evil.
- Tram/Fel introduced instead...removing a good deal of the risk (and challenge by extension) from the game.
- Players became able to horde gold and items without risk of losing them.
- Players became bored.
- Pub 16 introduced, partially to attempt to lure traffic to Fel (Power Scrolls)
- AoS introduced making the game item driven to retain player interest.
- UO economy inflated beyond all reason due to insurance and Luna vendors.
- Expansion after expansion released containing more and more powerful items.

What we are left with is a Wow/Diablo 2 clone with very little challenge and community.

If the devs could have found a way to avoid that Tram/Fel split, I firmly believe that the UO economy would not be based on literally hundreds of trillions of gold today. The item based model would never have been necessary because the game would have retained some risk and challenge, without completely driving away the players that did not want to engage in PvP.

Numerous paths could have been taken besides what equates to a PvP switch.

- Expanded guard zones.
- Random wandering NPCs that attacked only reds placed at PK hotspots.
- One character goes red, all characters on the account go red.
- Real time jail terms for PKs.
- Perma death for reds that reached a certain number of murders and were killed.
- Better incentives for anti-PK guilds.

The solution, in my opinion, was not to just shut it off, but to find a way to make the behavior less desirable and easy. I think they were on the right track with perma reds and stat loss, but the Good vs. Evil system probably should have been tried before they just pulled the plug on the open PvP/one world model.

If they do a Fel only Classic Shard, they can do it differently than it was done the first time. Those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it...and I don't think any classic players want to repeat what happened with Pub 16/AoS...and I believe that Ren was the root cause of that.

Velvathos

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 13, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
- Expanded guard zones.
- Perma death for reds that reached a certain number of murders and were killed.
I don't like the idea of perma death or having all ones characters go red.. Good examples though..

I would have liked to see improvements within the alignment system itself, the count system in my opinion is just flawed.. There should be a well evened good vs evil alignment system where you can raise your alignment to a positive, but only go so high, having a positive alignment would give you great benefits, and in order to have one, you would need to run certain quests or fight within the anti-virtue dungeons.. A negative alignment is one you would get from killing other players and you would become red, it would be similar to a sea-saw.. Rather than a bunch of people sitting by a moongate as a ghost, burning off counts, there should have been a system where your actions define your alignment in the world.. Killing another red player would get you a GOOD alignment..

I would have liked to see..

- Siege combat & naval warfare, manning cannons, firing at other ships, buildings and land targets and crumbling them to the ground and siege combat where players could build and protect their cities..

- An more dynamic player world, one that is more living and breathing with a more dynamic weather system..

- Guards that could be killed, rather than the one hit your dead guards that we have, guards should have appeared, ran up and attacked the player, allowing players to fight off the guards, but other players would run up and help this guards, this would have added more to the excitement of PvP..

- Perhaps some kind of town alignment

- More skills & spells, two handed weapon skills and dual wielding, the more skills in a skill based game, the better, and the higher the over-all cap could be.

- A better way to revive rather than looking for a healer, a good system would have been to have a option to teleport to the nearest resurrection sport, weather it be a shrine or a town healer, res, and run back to your corpse, and perhaps a much, much longer corpse decay, if none at all until your grab your equipment.. (This is a issue I struggled with in the past)

Pre-Tram was flawless in a lot of ways however, and I miss it, I miss being able to kill NPC's and loot them of their belongings and become red in doing so, I miss having balanced PvP and meaningful crafting, it was the realism of Pre-AoS that I loved so much, and it was that realism that brought all the role-players into UO, and quite a few are still here to this date, without a realistic game-world, RP is meaningless and I miss friendly fire more than anything, and I miss guild-stones.. Guild stones is what brought in player towns and player run cities, people would always play wherever their guild stone was, it was your BASE of operations.. the new guild system is GOOD, but the elimination of guild stones WAS NOT..

The only thing I don't miss is housing.. Custom Housing in my opinion is the best thing that EVER happened to UO..

L

Longest Journey

- Expanded guard zones.
Not so good for one reason, it would encroach on areas for housing placement near towns.

This I like.

And to add to the immersion of the world, each town could dispatch their own unique Red hunter NPC patrols. Like Trinsic would dispatch patrols of paladins, Britain would dispatch knights, Vesper would dispatch mariner mercenaries. Stuff like that.

The NPCs would also have to be really strong, like old school ogre lord strong. And the groups would consist of melee and ranged combatants.

No, and heres why. Blue PKs. You know, those jerks who would run through your fire field and turn you grey. If you kill them, you go red.

So, no, too much potential for ass-h****s to abuse.

Interesting idea. It could be the result of getting nailed by the guards.

Or, the result of getting captured by blue players.

Example: Instead of being killed when their health hits 0, the red is incapacitated and cannot move, fight, or use anything in the backpack, but still fully lootable. This way, the player who kills them still gets to loot all of their stuff and they wont have anything to escape with from jail. While incapacitated, blue players could use craftable shackles (made by blacksmiths, go player crafted items!) and apprehend the red player. the red players character would then become like a follower and follow the blue player to the nearest dugeon for arrest. Once there, the blue player talks to a jailor NPC and the red player is then teleported to a vacant cell to serve out a certain amount of time dependent on how many murder they have commited.

However, to balance things out, the red could be sprung by someone if the blue transporting them gets killed before they can get them to the jail.

No perma death. However, making it so that they cannot be rezed for an extended amount of time, say, a month if they are perma red, should cut it.

Like what kind of incentives? Perhaps specially marked clothing or titles? Dye tubs? Stuff like that is okay. Nothing that can affect gameplay though.

L

Longest Journey

I agree with everything here except for No Custom Housing.. Custom Housing is great, but I would only go as far as AoS if it was pre-tram, so we wouldn't be able to use any Tokuno style walls or roofs, etc, or gargish..
Ugh, no way. No cutomizeable housing. So many custom houses were such eyesores. Then there were those people who didnt even bother designing their house and just lived off of an empty plot. I hated seeing that.

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

Ugh, no way. No cutomizeable housing. So many custom houses were such eyesores. Then there were those people who didnt even bother designing their house and just lived off of an empty plot. I hated seeing that.
I'd rather see an empty plot instead of some of the hideous structures out there.

If custom housing were to be allowed, it would need to be a very limited tile set. I still think this would not stop people from creating eyesores, so I'd give up custom housing not to have to look at them.

Some custom houses are really well done, and are actually wonderful to look at...so I would miss the creative potential. Maybe a system could be worked out where the house had to be submitted for approval??

Probably too much work on the GMs, so I doubt it would work.

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

Some clarification on the perma death comment I made above:

This would be a last resort if all other justice systems had failed. It would also not come without a warning.

If you equate it to the real world, it would be something akin to capital punishment.

The red would receive a message after a kill that said something to effect of "If you slay one more innocent, your life will be forfeit by order of the King!" at that point, it would become their choice. If they killed someone else, and then died themselves...that would be it. It wouldn't be something that could just happen to you. You would need to have like 100 or more murders (for example).

The number could be adjusted based on the severity of the problem.

Also, someone mentioned blue PKs that would run through your fire fields. Not sure how to deal with that...but that would need to be changed. Plus, I think if someone flagged you by running through a field, you wouldn't automatically go red if you killed them. There are still counts to consider.

The main thing is the recourse would be available to you, the player. If you thought it was worth the risks to kill another player, you could do it...but there would be consequences, as opposed to the "mAd LoOt fOr kEwL dOOds" of old. :)

L

Longest Journey

I don't like the idea of perma death or having all ones characters go red.. Good examples though..

I would have liked to see improvements within the alignment system itself, the count system in my opinion is just flawed.. There should be a well evened good vs evil alignment system where you can raise your alignment to a positive, but only go so high, having a positive alignment would give you great benefits, and in order to have one, you would need to run certain quests or fight within the anti-virtue dungeons.. A negative alignment is one you would get from killing other players and you would become red, it would be similar to a sea-saw.. Rather than a bunch of people sitting by a moongate as a ghost, burning off counts, there should have been a system where your actions define your alignment in the world.. Killing another red player would get you a GOOD alignment..
Personally, I see quests as a crutch, a crutch used by weak games with no back bone to them.

Overall, what you have proposed here is easily exploited. Killing another red to go good again? Then all that would happen is someone would make a "whipping boy" character to kill over and over to regain good alignment.

They should make the alignment system the way it worked originally. Having negative alignment made it so that the guards didnt protect you and town NPCs wouldnt interact with you, including bankers.

I would have liked to see..

- Siege combat & naval warfare, manning cannons, firing at other ships, buildings and land targets and crumbling them to the ground and siege combat where players could build and protect their cities..
And where would players build these cities? Something like this would be far too complex to put into UO, not without adding in a new landmass that's sole purpose is for city building.

As for the naval combat, it already existed, but it wasnt like what you'd see in Darkfall. You used archers, mages, and explosion potions.

- An more dynamic player world, one that is more living and breathing with a more dynamic weather system..
This would be doable. I would like to see it rain in the cities sometimes, snow in the winter, random strikes of lighting that have a chance to strike players, animals, monsters, NPCs, etc.

- Guards that could be killed, rather than the one hit your dead guards that we have, guards should have appeared, ran up and attacked the player, allowing players to fight off the guards, but other players would run up and help this guards, this would have added more to the excitement of PvP..
Wouldnt work. The guards were what kept reds out of town. Their one hit kill ability was what kept the balance.

- Perhaps some kind of town alignment
Like the town reps from Fallout? Dont see how that would work in UO.

- More skills & spells, two handed weapon skills and dual wielding, the more skills in a skill based game, the better, and the higher the over-all cap could be.
Couple of problems here:

One, two handed weapon skills? Why? We already had weapon skills that cover both two and one handed weapons.

Dual wielding? Wouldnt work. It would be overpowered.

More skills....hmmm..... well, they'd have to fit into the game's era, IE medieval europe.

Higher overall skill cap? No, it would make for overpowered characters. 700.0 skills worked and it should stay at that.

- A better way to revive rather than looking for a healer, a good system would have been to have a option to teleport to the nearest resurrection sport, weather it be a shrine or a town healer, res, and run back to your corpse, and perhaps a much, much longer corpse decay, if none at all until your grab your equipment.. (This is a issue I struggled with in the past)
The death system worked fine the way it was. Plus, if you killed a red, it would keep them down longer. Not to mention getting ported to a shrine would make them ideal camping spots for reds because they would be a guaranteed kill spot.

Pre-Tram was flawless in a lot of ways however, and I miss it, I miss being able to kill NPC's and loot them of their belongings and become red in doing so, I miss having balanced PvP and meaningful crafting, it was the realism of Pre-AoS that I loved so much, and it was that realism that brought all the role-players into UO, and quite a few are still here to this date, without a realistic game-world, RP is meaningless and I miss friendly fire more than anything, and I miss guild-stones.. Guild stones is what brought in player towns and player run cities, people would always play wherever their guild stone was, it was your BASE of operations.. the new guild system is GOOD, but the elimination of guild stones WAS NOT..
I agree with what you say here.

The only thing I don't miss is housing.. Custom Housing in my opinion is the best thing that EVER happened to UO..
I have to disagree. A lot of the houses made by players were eye sores. Then there were the people who didnt even bother to customize and lived on an empty plot.

There were plenty of nice pre set houses for players to chose from and thats the way it should remain.

U

Unsatisfied

I'd rather not have custom housing especially if its fel only, a free shard I play on, fel only, custom housing and all you see is boxes. Every single house is a massive box with 1 tile to get in and a trash barrel on it. Simple reason, running from ganks/pvp etc into the giant box, easiest way for protection. Eye sores galore. You can do the same thing with oldschool houses by just having the inside of your house walled off with tables and a trash barrel in the middle, then the outside world doesnt have to see your eye sore. Thats why I would rather oldschool housing.

About the ideas to control pks,
things like perma red, perma death for reds etc are bad because like longest journey mentioned. griefers. A lot of people do similar things on the free shard im on to turn blue pvpers red, thankfully theres none of these concequences of it would suck. For example they get a bunch of people on blues hidden inside their house then they run out and pvp and retreat in their on their red. Next step the pvpers eq/ms the walls to try and kill the red. bam.... 10 counts thanks to the 10 blue players sitting inside.

Expanded guard zones I dont really like because there are some towns out there that frankly have huge guard zones anyway, think about places like Yew?

Roaming guards might be okay, but I wouldnt want there to be too many of them so that anywhere you go on a red your ganked by guards as well as blues. But it would be okay if there were some patrolling ones.

Someone mentioned the ideas of getting teleported to healers to res, and longer/no decay times on corpses, your just elimenating the risk that comes along with farming. Saying goodbye to risk vs reward again. So I dont really like this idea either. If you want the big loots that are far away from healers, you need to be prepared for the concequences if you die. If not, stay near healers/shrines and get smaller loot.

L

Longest Journey

Some clarification on the perma death comment I made above:

This would be a last resort if all other justice systems had failed. It would also not come without a warning.

If you equate it to the real world, it would be something akin to capital punishment.

The red would receive a message after a kill that said something to effect of "If you slay one more innocent, your life will be forfeit by order of the King!" at that point, it would become their choice. If they killed someone else, and then died themselves...that would be it. It wouldn't be something that could just happen to you. You would need to have like 100 or more murders (for example).

The number could be adjusted based on the severity of the problem.
Heres the problem with that. If the person is perma red and that messge pops up to them, the character is bascially screwed. They are trapped. Without the ability to wait off the murder counts, the player will either have to delete the character, because its now useless, or go ahead and take that last kill and lose the character anyway. Players arent going to like being put in that position. It will drive players away.

You were on to something with the imprisonment. That has potential, especially if you add in my idea for letting blacksmiths craft shackles to use on incapacitated reds.

Also, someone mentioned blue PKs that would run through your fire fields. Not sure how to deal with that...but that would need to be changed. Plus, I think if someone flagged you by running through a field, you wouldn't automatically go red if you killed them. There are still counts to consider.
Sometimes, it happened. It happened to me on my mage once. I was in the viner room in Covetous fire fielding the corpsers. Two guys came along and ran through my field turning me grey. They tried to kill me, but long story short, I dropped both of them and went red. I didnt want to, but they left me little other choice.

The main thing is the recourse would be available to you, the player. If you thought it was worth the risks to kill another player, you could do it...but there would be consequences, as opposed to the "mAd LoOt fOr kEwL dOOds" of old. :)
There can be consequences. Like I said, the imprisonment is a good idea.

As an addition to that idea, the only way they can serve their sentence is while logged onto that character. Also, there should be fines imposed on the red along side the sentence in prison. To avoid them simply not having any gold on the character, an extra hour in prison is tacked on for every 1 GP they do not have to cover the fine.

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

One of the cool things that empty plots (and custom housing) could have been used for was farming. I think being about to grow reagents, or at least some of them, on a plot of land would be pretty cool. Granted, you wouldn't want some massive reagent collectives flooding the market with regs, but still...I always thought that would have been a worthwhile addition. Then 100% LRC became commonplace, and removed the need for regs.

So much potential wasted. :sad4:

U

Unsatisfied

On the custom housing issues about eye sores. I am quite happy with the oldschool designs, even the old oldschool designs, but I know a lot of people get bored of the same few choices.

How bout this for an idea, if the devs/forums together let people from the classic shard (WHEN it happens) customize houses on a different shard or god forbid a custom shard (we know people play them by now) and then have a competition every x amount of time where people post their designs and others can vote on their favorite designs and possibly get some turned into actual deeds that can be added to the game.

Or even have a couple of people who show that they are good at designing be pulled to green hills on the shard to customize a few ideas for houses and then those houses can be voted on by players.

All of this requires next to nothing from the staff other than to script the final selection into a deed. And it might keep people happy with new designs every now and then.

Just a thought.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 28, 2003
United States

- Expanded guard zones.
As pro-Tram ruleset as I am, I think a Classic Shard set up like this might work as a happy medium. There would need to be a way to make sure that consenting PvP didn't record as a murder though. If I (as a blue) went in after a PKer who just won't let up, he shouldn't get a murder count if he wins. I accepted the risk by going after him. Some kind switch & indicator that shows my character has PvP intentions would need to be added.

...having a positive alignment would give you great benefits, and in order to have one, you would need to run certain quests or fight within the anti-virtue dungeons..
UO shouldn't go the 'certain quest' route. Thats one of the flaws other games have and gets boring. UO lets you do any adventuring you want to do & make gains for your character. Why I suspect it's survived in spite of AOS.

Killing another red player would get you a GOOD alignment..
This could be abused by PKers to avoid the penalties for murder. There would need to be some way of ensuring a pair of PKers just can't spend a few hours killing & rezzing each other between griefing sessions to avoid the harsher murder penalties.

I like the sound of this. It would give the real feeling of being part of the game world society, by helping defeat the scum who go after the helpless. :)

- and I miss guild-stones.. Guild stones is what brought in player towns and player run cities, people would always play wherever their guild stone was, it was your BASE of operations.. the new guild system is GOOD, but the elimination of guild stones WAS NOT..

I agree with this completely. I'd like to see a way of getting replacement Guildstones added to the game. I lost the one to my Guild when the beetle carrying it got killed and I couldn't get to the corpse before it faded away.

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

Heres the problem with that. If the person is perma red and that messge pops up to them, the character is bascially screwed.
I don't think anyone ever accidentally went perma red. I feel no sympathy for that person.

They are trapped. Without the ability to wait off the murder counts, the player will either have to delete the character, because its now useless, or go ahead and take that last kill and lose the character anyway. Players arent going to like being put in that position. It will drive players away.
It would drive players away...the kinds of players that drive other players away. That's the idea.

Rampant, unchecked PKing has driven more players away than any other single thing in this game besides age.

The resultant so-called solution to the problem is an extension of the problem.

I feel zero sympathy for a red player that victimized so many innocent players that they went perma red. The grief they caused those players should have a price.

Do you think Charles Manson, or Ted Bundy, would eventually be able to "wait out" their past?

The problem many reds had back in the day is the same problem many Tram players have now...they were greedy and didn't consider the long term implications of their actions on the game around them. They killed, and killed, and killed, and eventually, the devs had to pull the plug because these players didn't, or wouldn't, understand what they were doing to the players that wanted no part of PvP.

This is the same greed and shortsightedness that led to AoS.

Everything needs balance...which is why deep down, I don't believe a Classic Shard could work.

With Tram it would get boring too quickly for most players.

Without Tram it would turn into a PvP only shard, but most PvPers would become bored with it because it would require no 'real skill' (read as button mashing).

Velvathos

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 13, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Not sure what shard you play on but on Europa you rarely see any eyesores at all..

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

As pro-Tram ruleset as I am, I think a Classic Shard set up like this might work as a happy medium. There would need to be a way to make sure that consenting PvP didn't record as a murder though. If I (as a blue) went in after a PKer who just won't let up, he shouldn't get a murder count if he wins. I accepted the risk by going after him. Some kind switch & indicator that shows my character has PvP intentions would need to be added.
I'd be completely against a PvP switch. We have that now, its called going to Fel or not.

An option to dual, or something of that nature, I would be behind that.

The main thing I really hate about the Tram/Fel (PvP switch) concept is that it is totally unrealistic. There is nothing between my sword and another player in Tram but open air. Why is it that I cannot attack that player?? Heck, even if the moment I initiated hostilities, and clicked on the warning box and agreed that I wanted to attack, a bolt from the blue just killed me...that would be more realistic than... ... ???

Currently, there is no in game fiction to explain it. None that makes any sense anyway.

If the repercussions for killing another player were great enough, it would curtail it without eliminating the possibility of it. That's what I always wanted.

L

Longest Journey

I don't think anyone ever accidentally went perma red. I feel no sympathy for that person.

It would drive players away...the kinds of players that drive other players away. That's the idea.

Rampant, unchecked PKing has driven more players away than any other single thing in this game besides age.

The resultant so-called solution to the problem is an extension of the problem.

I feel zero sympathy for a red player that victimized so many innocent players that they went perma red. The grief they caused those players should have a price.
Heres the problem with your logic: Youre assuming that all perma reds sole intent was to grief.

I am actually tired of seeing that as the reason people keep handing against reds. They all werent griefers.

How did you even know their intent was to grief you?

They killed you?

Killing other players was a part of the game. Did you ever stop to consider they were killing you because thats what they had chosen to play on that character; a killer? Maybe you were just in the wrong place at the wrong time and got killed, but you took it personally.

You cant do that. You cant take it personally. The second you do, things turn sour and the griefer accusations start flying and the game suffers for it.

Another point, not all perma reds were that way because they were killing lower players. I knew several reds back then. Some of them lived around my house, and the others were assassins from a guild I was a part of for a while. They were actually nice people. I asked them why they decided to go red. Some said it was for the challenge and thrill of being a criminal, and the ones in the guild did it because they were the ones who settled the score against those who wronged their guild but wouldn't or couldnt go to war. 2 reds I knew did it for RP reasons.

So do not say that all perma reds were that way for griefing purposes. Because they werent all jerks.

Do you think Charles Manson, or Ted Bundy, would eventually be able to "wait out" their past?
Woah, taking this a bit too seriously much? You need to realize, this isnt real life, its a game. Manson and Bundy killed REAL people with REAL death. This is nothing like that.

The problem many reds had back in the day is the same problem many Tram players have now...they were greedy and didn't consider the long term implications of their actions on the game around them. They killed, and killed, and killed, and eventually, the devs had to pull the plug because these players didn't, or wouldn't, understand what they were doing to the players that wanted no part of PvP.
What? What they were doing to the players who wanted no part of PvP?

Okay, there is so much wrong with that, its unreal.

First of all, yes, the reds did know what they were doing, they were playing the role they had chosen to play, killers. Its not the fault of the red if those who they were killing couldnt handle it

Second of all, WTF were people who wanted no part of PvP doing playing a game that's central concept is open PvP? They came into UO FULL WELL KNOWING that they would have to engage at PvP at one point or another and that there was a good chance they would be killed. With that knowlege alone they have been able to tell UO wasnt for them and shouldnt have even played. But no, they went on the forums and complained to no end and look at what happened. The game got ruined.

This is the same greed and shortsightedness that led to AoS.
The only greed that led to AOS was greed on EA's part wanting to try and jump on the EQ clone band wagon and make UO mainstream.

Everything needs balance...which is why deep down, I don't believe a Classic Shard could work.
There can be balance, but perma-death? No, it just doesnt work. Its overkill. It may sound logical to you because you have some sort of personal vendetta against red players (which in itself is illogical considering this is just a game), but to everyone else, its a bad idea.

With Tram it would get boring too quickly for most players.

Without Tram it would turn into a PvP only shard, but most PvPers would become bored with it because it would require no 'real skill' (read as button mashing).
It was never button mashing. You have to focus on different factors. Moving around, keeping yourself healed, knowing what tactics to use to stay alive. On a classic server, the old combat would come back and skill would play a dominant role in PvP.

As for the classic server being all PvP, remember, players will still need armor, weapons, potions etc. Magic armor and weapons would still be wanted to grant small edges in combat. The best way to get those was to kill Lord type monsters, search chests in dungeons, dig them up from treasure maps, or fish them up with SOSs.

That means, people will do things other than PvP. There was a healthy mix back then and there will be another one if the classic servers are made.

You had a good idea with the imprisonment thing. Stay on track like that and there will finally be people with worthwhile ideas posting.

U

Unsatisfied

I do like the idea of shackling pks on death, and being able to spring that pk on the way to the jail if you get to them in time, that could create some awesome pvp right there. It would encourage even more community both from reds and blues, blues would wanna hunt them down and then defend other blues when they capture a red, and likewise with reds they will hopefully call on each other to spring them, and expect the same in return. Dunno how much time they'd have to spend scripting it but it sounds cool.

On a side note,

On the custom housing issues about eye sores. I am quite happy with the oldschool designs, even the old oldschool designs, but I know a lot of people get bored of the same few choices.

How bout this for an idea, if the devs/forums together let people from the classic shard (WHEN it happens) customize houses on a different shard or god forbid a custom shard (we know people play them by now) and then have a competition every x amount of time where people post their designs and others can vote on their favorite designs and possibly get some turned into actual deeds that can be added to the game.

Or even have a couple of people who show that they are good at designing be pulled to green hills on the shard to customize a few ideas for houses and then those houses can be voted on by players.

All of this requires next to nothing from the staff other than to script the final selection into a deed. And it might keep people happy with new designs every now and then.

Just a thought.
No one has any feedback good or bad on that?

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

Youre assuming that all perma reds sole intent was to grief.

How did you even know their intent was to grief you?
And then you post...

Did you ever stop to consider they were killing you because thats what they had chosen to play on that character; a killer?
You think killing people that don't wish to be killed doesn't cause grief to that person? I can't imagine too many things that would bring more grief in UO than someone killing you for no reason and taking all of your belongings.

Maybe you were just in the wrong place at the wrong time and got killed, but you took it personally.
Oh...me? Yeah, I was in the wrong place at the wrong time a lot. Then I started an anti-pk guild and it was the reds that were in the wrong place at the wrong time...and took it personally when they entered stat loss.

You are barking up the wrong tree with me. I am not some no pvping newb. I have probably killed more people in UO than the number of people that currently play on most shards...but I never killed an innocent player.

You cant do that. You cant take it personally.
Sure I can. That's the best part about free will. We can all react to things the way we choose to.

Another point, not all perma reds were that way because they were killing lower players. I knew several reds back then. Some of them lived around my house, and the others were assassins from a guild I was a part of for a while. They were actually nice people. I asked them why they decided to go red. Some said it was for the challenge and thrill of being a criminal, and the ones in the guild did it because they were the ones who settled the score against those who wronged their guild but wouldn't or couldnt go to war. 2 reds I knew did it for RP reasons.
And part of that RP should have been suffering the consequences for their crimes.

And for the record...I don't buy that crap for a second.

I knew most of the big guild reds back in the day (CC, TB, AoD, etc). Most of them were pks because they were a) 14 years old and enjoyed griefing other players, b) found that Pking and looting players was far more lucrative than PvM.

That was their choice...and never did I seek to deprive them of their choice...I just personally held them accountable for it by hunting them down, killing them, and giving their gear to new players and people that had been PKed.

That's player justice!

Woah, taking this a bit too seriously much? You need to realize, this isnt real life, its a game. Manson and Bundy killed REAL people with REAL death. This is nothing like that.
Easy now...it was only an example. But when we are discussing the most realistic way to keep PvP alive in the game, as opposed to the un-realistic way the devs dealt with, then I think some examples of real life killers is in order to put things into a certain perspective.

Second of all, WTF were people who wanted no part of PvP doing playing a game that's central concept is open PvP? They came into UO FULL WELL KNOWING that they would have to engage at PvP at one point or another and that there was a good chance they would be killed.
See...this is the kind of attitude that led to Tram. The idea that there was only one play style, and that anyone that didn't enjoy that play style should go elsewhere.

There can be balance, but perma-death? No, it just doesnt work. Its overkill. It may sound logical to you because you have some sort of personal vendetta against red players (which in itself is illogical considering this is just a game), but to everyone else, its a bad idea.
Ok...I'll play along here. So it was "RP" when reds killed blues, but if my guild was "RPing" justice seekers, it was a "personal vendetta"???

I won't elaborate on that point, because we all agreed this would remain a civil discussion...but I will allow you to consider the duality of that point of view and say nothing else about your statement here.

U

Unsatisfied

A

You think killing people that don't wish to be killed doesn't cause grief to that person? I can't imagine too many things that would bring more grief in UO than someone killing you for no reason and taking all of your belongings.

Oh...me? Yeah, I was in the wrong place at the wrong time a lot. Then I started an anti-pk guild and it was the reds that were in the wrong place at the wrong time...and took it personally when they entered stat loss.

You are barking up the wrong tree with me. I am not some no pvping newb. I have probably killed more people in UO than the number of people that currently play on most shards...but I never killed an innocent player.
So by your logic this makes you a griefer, yeah they were red but you caused them grief by killing them.

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

So by your logic this makes you a griefer, yeah they were red but you caused them grief by killing them.
Like I said...I never killed an innocent player.

The single greatest part of Classic UO was the limitless choices that were available to the players.

You see, a person could fall in with the "wrong crowd", they could be an honorable defender of the people, they could be a blacksmith fixing the weapons of the local warriors in their town, they could be a baker and deliver bread to guilds at a discount (yes, there was a player I knew back in the day that had freaking bread route!!). How awesome was that?!

The choice I made was to not be a victim, and to help those that needed help.

The choice reds made was to victimize those that didn't want to be victimized...otherwise...they wouldn't have been victims! :)

We all had a role to play, and it didn't revolve around killing the same uber boss over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over...to get some item that is worth more than everyone on the Atlantic shard even had back in 1998 combined. It revolved around the community. You see what I mean?

I didn't hate reds, I didn't feel victimized by them, because that was not my role to play. The role I played was someone that victimized the victimizer (not sure that's actually a word!! rolleyes:)

If more players had adopted the role I adopted, and my guild adopted, there would have been balance...and Tram would not have been needed.

But on the flip side of that, and it took me a while to really understand this, what we were doing was still PvP...and not everyone wanted to participate in PvP. That's the crux of the matter right there.

If a Classic Shard is to be open PvP, then there has to be some way to allow those of us that enjoyed PvP (red, blue, whatever) and those that didn't to coexist on the same shard without splitting the world.

If it just goes back to a free for all gankfest, it will be as deserted as Fel is on current shards.

W

wills

Ehh...

Let's be realistic here. If the classic shard happens, the developers aren't going to spend time and money rewriting the player justice system. I'm doubtful they'd even tweak it.

We're looking at the old-school, yes, PKing happens system; or we're looking at Trammel/Felucca.

And again, either way, I think the truth lay somewhere in between all the hyperbole in terms of what would happen in each scenario.

U

Unsatisfied

Like I said...I never killed an innocent player.

The single greatest part of Classic UO was the limitless choices that were available to the players.

You see, a person could fall in with the "wrong crowd", they could be an honorable defender of the people, they could be a blacksmith fixing the weapons of the local warriors in their town, they could be a baker and deliver bread to guilds at a discount (yes, there was a player I knew back in the day that had freaking bread route!!). How awesome was that?!

The choice I made was to not be a victim, and to help those that needed help.

The choice reds made was to victimize those that didn't want to be victimized...otherwise...they wouldn't have been victims! :)

We all had a role to play, and it didn't revolve around killing the same uber boss over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over...to get some item that is worth more than everyone on the Atlantic shard even had back in 1998 combined. It revolved around the community. You see what I mean?

I didn't hate reds, I didn't feel victimized by them, because that was not my role to play. The role I played was someone that victimized the victimizer (not sure that's actually a word!! rolleyes:)

If more players had adopted the role I adopted, and my guild adopted, there would have been balance...and Tram would not have been needed.

But on the flip side of that, and it took me a while to really understand this, what we were doing was still PvP...and not everyone wanted to participate in PvP. That's the crux of the matter right there.

If a Classic Shard is to be open PvP, then there has to be some way to allow those of us that enjoyed PvP (red, blue, whatever) and those that didn't to coexist on the same shard without splitting the world.

If it just goes back to a free for all gankfest, it will be as deserted as Fel is on current shards.
I dont see what you did as griefing I was just saying the simple way you put it that reds killed blues which caused grief = griefing wasnt the way to say it. Doing something to someone that makes their playing experience worse with no benificial gain to yourself other than the satisfaction of hurting someone is griefing. If reds go out to dungeons and kill someone farming, its not griefing. They are pking. and if an npk goes out and hunts red... its not griefing its npking.

Ehh...

Let's be realistic here. If the classic shard happens, the developers aren't going to spend time and money rewriting the player justice system. I'm doubtful they'd even tweak it.

We're looking at the old-school, yes, PKing happens system; or we're looking at Trammel/Felucca.

And again, either way, I think the truth lay somewhere in between all the hyperbole in terms of what would happen in each scenario.

Id be quite happy with stat loss and bounty system being put in it full stop

but by the looks of things alot of people arnt so I guess were tossing around ideas.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 28, 2003
United States
Second of all, WTF were people who wanted no part of PvP doing playing a game that's central concept is open PvP? They came into UO FULL WELL KNOWING that they would have to engage at PvP at one point or another and that there was a good chance they would be killed.
See...this is the kind of attitude that led to Tram. The idea that there was only one play style, and that anyone that didn't enjoy that play style should go elsewhere.
And EA didn't want to see those paying customers go elsewhere, so they gave us Trammel where those players could have fun and would not leave UO.

The players who loved non-con PvP would have their world, and the players who did not love non-con PvP could remain paying customers for EA.

Do you think UO would still exist if all the paying customers in Tram were not there? Fel is a ghost town. There's no chance those few players who remained in Fel could of kept UO profitable, even at the current monthly fee. UO would have been one of the games that came, failed to be profitable, and been shut down.

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

If reds go out to dungeons and kill someone farming, its not griefing. They are pking.
I met an awful lot of blues back in the day that did not agree with your assessment of the situation.

I would bet that almost every player that either doesn't support a Classic Shard, or supports one, but not without Tram feels the same way.

The difference between UO, and something like Battlefield 2142, is that UO is not strictly a PvP game. It never was. There were many activities and skills that were geared toward PvE.

That truly was what made UO unique. It was the only game that ever successfully incorporated both PvP and PvE into one game/one world. And it was successful, it was just that one side could not see that they were killing off the people that they preyed upon at a rate that was causing them to leave the world.

I am not some environmentalist or anything like that, but you can only cut so many trees from a forest without allowing the trees to grow back before you end up with an empty, barren, wasteland.

And such is Fel today.

Status
Not open for further replies.