• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Classic shard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

HD2300

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Still waiting for anyone from the pro-Classic shard side to post some numbers on cost and duration.
Once again...not possible.

There is no way for you, or I, to know what the realistic cost, or timeframe, of this project would be without further input from the devs.

Yet...you claim to know exactly how long it would take.
Still waiting. If the Classic shard is going to be a sure thing and sooo successful, it would be easy to post some realistic cost and duration estimates. I only see excuses.

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

Still waiting. If the Classic shard is going to be a sure thing and sooo successful, it would be easy to post some realistic cost and duration estimates. I only see excuses.
What excuse?

You, as far as I have seen, have been the sole person to post any timeframe (2 years).

Don't try and backpedal your way out of it now. Everyone saw what you posted.

Ahuaeyjnkxs

stranger diamond
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This reminded me of how I was when I was a kid... and of course this picture.

Which is worth a thousand and one word.

At one point... it stops being progress, it stops being evolution.

Humans are not machines, nothing can make us derail of our dream sandbox, nothing else will satisfy our passion. We are a throng.

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

Humans are not machines, nothing can make us derail of our dream sandbox, nothing else will satisfy our passion. We are a throng.
Millenniums perish, and yet we remain unborn
An attraction, denied
A costume of death
Just a purified sharade
Still my vision, soaring, is but a dream

Hi Ahu! :)

HD2300

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You only wish you understood
I do. You want the online game you pay to play to be more fun and rewarding. You believe that you will get that by EA developing a Classic shard. You want that at any cost.

But it is not 1998. The only competition is not just EQ. Developing a Classic shard will not be cheap. There will be a cost. UO cannot afford to lose more paying subscribers, because even when there were way more subscribers 3 years ago, EA almost switched off the servers.

Bumping a thread isnt going to convince bean counters at EA to develop what you want. When Stratics sends out a massive bulk email, and only 6 former vets post sign me up, it doesnt help your case. What you need is to offer a plausible profit estimate, then maybe the bean counters will change their minds this time.

F

fantasy10k

Nope. Still waiting for anyone from the pro-Classic shard side to post some numbers on cost and duration.
You all no sayers keep complaining about the cost? How much does it cost to have 10 empty shards out there right now? A classic shard will have more players then 10 of thoose empty shards. I have a friend that plays UO still and he said a few shards is more or less deserted.
And frankly, its EA that we talk about. They have the money so dont worry about it...

Ahuaeyjnkxs

stranger diamond
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hey HD (noname)

If only we were trying to convince someone... that would make it easier would it ?

You're making me hungry with those nuts.

Life is not short, we can grow old, we're just looking to discuss memories and what should be or not be in the shard by helping each other remember. We're a community.

You came into the spotlight like a fierce warrior on a holy crusade, now what have you to add exept what we already knew 10 pages ago ?

tell me wrong, same old song tell me wrong !

SAME OLD SONG !

Cheers ! rolleyes:

We're listening.

F

fantasy10k

I do. You want the online game you pay to play to be more fun and rewarding. You believe that you will get that by EA developing a Classic shard. You want that at any cost.

But it is not 1998. The only competition is not just EQ. Developing a Classic shard will not be cheap. There will be a cost. UO cannot afford to lose more paying subscribers, because even when there were way more subscribers 3 years ago, EA almost switched off the servers.

Bumping a thread isnt going to convince bean counters at EA to develop what you want. When Stratics sends out a massive bulk email, and only 6 former vets post sign me up, it doesnt help your case. What you need is to offer a plausible profit estimate, then maybe the bean counters will change their minds this time.
Maybe you should watch the poll again? None that played UO in the olds days that im still in contact with doesnt have a stratic account, they will all vote for t2a or p15. But there is no poll for 15 though.
So.... you are saying they cant afford to lose more subscribers, you think the classic shard will be empty? It will be the most active shard out there in UO.
Dont want to mention any freeshards names here , but I played on a few. One had 1200 players active at the peak time. The other one had 600 players and then there was a shard with 400 players. They were all based before AoS.

Ahuaeyjnkxs

stranger diamond
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
They know that Fantasy...

They just want to say no, because they feel something else, and grasp for the closest thing to an argument.

Of course it makes lots of noise !

NO NO NO NO NO !!!

*bangbangbang*

On a side note the devs did tell us they had an "experimental" shard almost ready for us... *hint hint*

F

fantasy10k

They know that Fantasy...

They just want to say no, because they feel something else, and grasp for the closest thing to an argument.

Of course it makes lots of noise !

NO NO NO NO NO !!!

*bangbangbang*

On a side note the devs did tell us they had an "experimental" shard almost ready for us... *hint hint*
Yeah I heard stuff like this also, but I want a confirmation from devs themselves.. :(

Derium of ls

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Maybe you should watch the poll again? None that played UO in the olds days that im still in contact with doesnt have a stratic account, they will all vote for t2a or p15. But there is no poll for 15 though.
So.... you are saying they cant afford to lose more subscribers, you think the classic shard will be empty? It will be the most active shard out there in UO.
Dont want to mention any freeshards names here , but I played on a few. One had 1200 players active at the peak time. The other one had 600 players and then there was a shard with 400 players. They were all based before AoS.

old vets I know don't have a stratics account either, the circles I knew were anti-stratics anyway. A long time ago uo.stratics was hated by MANY people and that still stands today. As I said before, I'm only here for the reasons such as the classic server.

the freeshard I play on has about 700-1000ish people on all the time, and with the lack of all the new lands it actually seems like there is a lot of people. no matter where you go you will run into someone. Production shards seem so much more dead compared to free shards (minus luna of course)

Ahuaeyjnkxs

stranger diamond
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well my experience on Atlantic was nice, but yes it seems that have more up and downs indeed...

I could spend like hours in luna trying to talk to people without getting any answer. Oh lots of people, but if you're not interested in buying their amazing robe for 7 millions, you won't get much out of them.

Then get the gate itself to talk to me ?

:popcorn:

It would be up to the devs sense of pride to create a genuine classic type shard with enhancements in everything including lore.

Any confirmed Ultima affictionado in the current dev team ? The have proven with UO2 and other stuff that they can do better. They CAN, but they make much more money creating the last fad for higher end salary family kids.

But when people care about something, something they persevere into ; well I think we should be allowed the hope of seeing it happen.

Forget all the rest, think about those moments where your eyes shined, thinking about the past so cherished.

The chest opened, and UO began.

Now it might seem archaic, which is the... satanic tangeant that seems to be employed often around those blocks. But in the end we will still have deserved it.

Now... where to draw the line ? It's not political even a bit, thats been flattened to the earth a few pages ago... it's a bit philosophic in the sense of the question...

When does a fiction become serious ? When are there marriages, broken by the very mechanics literally taken. What when souls tormented by what seems to be illogical (for anyone who has a heart still) decisions by their "gods" or "EA"...

Oh you've heard that one before, don't kid me Avatar. Ethernal torment...

What if they pass on with that in mind ? Knowing they will never be able to play IN a shard again, in that sand diamond box ; oh and yes.

I'M IN LOVE WITH XORINIA !

Oh you've also heard that before, it burned me from the inside, but I stayed put and never quivered. What bliss in silence...

R

Renyard Foxenwyle

old vets I know don't have a stratics account either, the circles I knew were anti-stratics anyway. A long time ago uo.stratics was hated by MANY people and that still stands today. As I said before, I'm only here for the reasons such as the classic server.
Lol, I was a UOvault guy until ign took over. About the only reason I had a stratics account was for the vigorous debate that would happen in the SnR forum here. Debating *cough* Arguing *cough* with the likes of Father Ganja, Lonegamer, Asmodeus, Palehorse, and many more interesting people was almost as fun as playing classic UO. The current SnR forum seems a pale reflection of what it used to be.

Ohh yeah and since HD keeps asking for numbers to match his made up numbers I'll go give it a try.

Cost of setting up a Classic server: 5000 USD
Cost of reverse engineering the current client: 3500 USD and 86 Hours
Cost of advertising to get old vets back: Free...Word of Mouth will happen
Seeing HD play alone on an AoS shard because everyone flocks to the classic server? PRICELESS

Note I do not support the destruction of the current shards, just the AoS system. If the player-base speaks and the classic shard is the most successful shard, well why not rollback AoS? I'd kind of like to be able to wander around Great Lakes again.

Speaking of wandering around Great Lakes....Is Kazola's Treetop Tavern still outside of Yew?

R

Renyard Foxenwyle

....Oh you've also heard that before, it burned me from the inside, but I stayed put and never quivered. What bliss in silence...
Wow....I'm starting to understand Ahua....I think. I do miss the magic of Stones playing while the chest opened. The feeling you got of logging in was like you were going into a sanctuary at church, it was mystical almost. I never did understand why exactly they removed that login screen.

Now I wish my internet connection was better here so I could watch it on youtube.

B

BuzZzZ

I have read a few pages so people may be repeating things.

I have not played UO for over 6 years, I played when T2a came out and quit around AOS. Someone who I know that plays a free shard told me about this thread and the possibility of an official retro shard being made so rushed to see. I would most certainly return to try this shard if it happens.

Basically pre Tram UO was not all about pvp, I never started pvp'ing until after tram was made. As someone mentioned before there was a thrill about the game and the potential for danger. If you see a red then most people would run. You would save up for ages for a new sword then would be scared to use it, you may loose it and when you do you would be pissed, quit the game then return a week later. You may buy a new sword and get it stolen from you 5 mins later by the same person that sold it you. Most people didn't pvp so if you went to a training dungeon like the bone wall you would usualy be safe.

The danger of pre tram UO made it great and there was a mass diversity of players. You had the majority that were pvm'ers who would grind for a bigger house, to pay for resources or whatever. They would form guilds and fight bigger and more dangerous monsters.
You had the thieves that would camp the banks stealing what they could, coming up with new ways of tricking people.
You would have people camped at the banks waiting to kill thieves.
You had your crafters that had spent a lot of time GM'ing their skills, they would usualy camp the forge selling their gear.
You had your Order/Chaos who would keep the fighting to themselves, you also had mass war guilds to do the same thing.
Then you had your reds, your pk's... these were not as common as people make out. The solo pk's were usualy the ones at the most risk as many enjoyed the challenge of being a lone wolf and trying to take out prey on their own.

What I am trying to say is that all the different roles being able to play in one world made UO great. Tram came and wiped out the thieves and the perma reds. I was a thief and had to resort to death gating/looting to keep myself entertained.

Bring back a T2A shard with no trammel. Give pk's big penalties so not everyone is trying to be a pk. Double stat loss, double time it takes to wear off a count and make being red be a challenge like it was before. I would be happy to have powerful items in the game like gold and valerite weapons just so there is good loot for me to steal.

If this happens there needs to be good rewards for grinding and killing monsters. Remember back then there were 10 sheep to every wolf. The shard would need sheep, sheep come if they can grind.

B

BuzZzZ

Sorry for the 2nd post in a row but just wanted to add something.

MMO's have changed a lot and a pure revert back to T2A might not be the best idea. I think what most old school players want (well what I want anyway) is the risk v reward system again. I don't think the current problem with UO is all this uber gear and artifacts, I think the problem is the inability to loose them. If someone had an artifact and was wearing it outside the guard zone in a T2a rule set then that person would not be over powerd, he would be the biggest target around.

I'd be happy to see T2a rules with decent gear like ruincs and artifacts even as long as they can be looted and stolen. if not arti's then some sort of epic loot or rare deco. Maybe put a timer on thieves before they can be reressed after they have been killed. T2A lands were useless anyway so EA would need to make a few tweaks to make the lands usable, housing there maybe. Somehow macro'ing needs to be stopped, a tweak in the skill gaining system might slow it down. Insurance killed the game for me.

It's not free for all pvp that old school players want, it's risk v reward.

phantus

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Cost of setting up a Classic server: 5000 USD
Let's put a little bit more to that. 8k would be better. Redundancy and whistles and things like that. 5k would cover hardware but if we are going to build something decent it should be closer to 10k. Little under. This is assuming they aren't running an ESXhost. Considering they tell us they have hardware isssues on occasion we can assume they are not. Unfortunately...

Cost of reverse engineering the current client: 3500 USD and 86 Hours
Let's assume 86 hours is enough(it's laughable because it's not) 86 x150$= 12900.

You won't be getting a reversed engineered client. You will be getting the existing code with everything turned off. There will not be any classic screenshot with exact configs for T2A. Dream it if you will but it's not what will happen. I'm sure they can get everything fairly close though. They won't be abondoning 10 years of fixes and server stability changes no matter how much people froth at the mouth about it.
Cost of advertising to get old vets back: Free...Word of Mouth will happen
I'm sure they will put a little bit into advaerting the shard. A few banner ads in select sites and word of mouth will spread it even further. Hell, a dedicated statment to the fact it will be developed would do quite a bit. Look at the buzz darkfall generated all those years regardless of what it turned out to be.

Seeing HD play alone on an AoS shard because everyone flocks to the classic server? PRICELESS
While it may be comical it's not even remotely realistic. There will be a very low percentage of current players willing to give up all they have and have worked for over the past decade to move to a classic shard. Tram has more people than fel on current production shards. I imagine many current fel players will move completely or at least split some time between the two. The current tram players aren't going to jump at the chance to be killed.

Roleplayers are a fickle lot. There may very well be a split in them. I know a handful and would say it would be detrimental to them as some will be willing to go and some won't. IMO it's about 50/50 based on the ones I know. RP in some cases needs to be in a controlled environment. Tram provides a good way of creating a stage that conforms to this.

Little over half of Siege will move I'm thinking, based on the thread it was discussed in.

Note I do not support the destruction of the current shards, just the AoS system. If the player-base speaks and the classic shard is the most successful shard, well why not rollback AoS? I'd kind of like to be able to wander around Great Lakes again.
I support the classic shard creation but let's be realistic. I realize that in order to keep this thread on the front page there must be a constant stream of posts and reposts of the same ideas and opinions but reverting AoS is just silly and not worth the time it takes to write it out. Seriously.

That being said. A classic shard will have a healthy population. It's arguable whether it can be maintained for an extended period of time but most(at least those that are for the shard) believe(as I do) it will be a success once it's up and running. I also believe there will be many "I told you so's" because it will have a good population. If it can maintain that population that will be great but it's not going to be more than all the other servers. In the beginning it should be great with the limited land masses.

I do feel for some people that don't realize what this server will be. A PvP server. People like Trebr have this notion that it will be something other than a PvP shard and they are going to be terribly disappointed in this. There will be pockets of RP players and non pvpers but they will be a severe minority as this shard will be the main focus of thieves and pvpers. A lot of talk has been wasted on PK's and statloss and penalties for pking. PKing and pvp are vastly differently and this shard will pvp primarily. If you get PK'd on this shard then you are on the wrong shard. It's just like entereing fel. You don't get pk'd there because you know what to expect. You are inviting this action with your presence. It's pvp. It's a novel idea that the shard will be like it was before 2000 but that is not what it will be. Some people have realized this but some still haven't quite figured it out. :popcorn:

R

Renyard Foxenwyle

Way to take a somewhat humorous approach to the numbers way to seriously Phantus. Face it, NONE OF US know what a classic server is likely to cost. We can all make estimates and come off sounding all professional that it is or is not worthwhile to the bottom line. Yeah I know I'll probably end up just getting the current client with stuff turned off, that is completely fine with me. I could care less if I had the chest login screen or some crappy castle in the fuzzy distance or whatever the heck the screen is now. Really I could care less if it was a Tram only server, as long as AOS and all the item based skills that came in the other expansions were gone I'd be ecstatic.

I would be even more happy with a very well done re-creation of the client and server as it was around the time of Publish 4 (No Powerhour please!) but at this point I would just like the game I love so much back. There is no longer any Ultima in Ultima Online. The ninjas and Samurais killed it. The item properties killed it. The crazy implementation of Elves killed it. I can't say much about Gargoyles since I have yet to try Stygian Abyss so I can't say anything on it yet.

Yeah I know, I leave out the Paladins and Necromancers introduced with AoS out. While I hate what AoS did to the game as a whole, Paladins have always had a place in Ultima Lore, and the Avatar dealt with Necromancers in Pagan, so they deserve a place. Yeah I know, elves were in the first 3 Ultimas, I get it, but they jumped into the time machines and went to different worlds (my explanation). Or maybe New San Fransisco, or maybe that colony on Mars from Martian Dreams.

Ok flow of thought complete. Maybe.

F

fantasy10k

Sigh, so many think because its only Felucca the whole server will be about PvP. ITS WRONG, totally wrong. Say that to all the freeshard servers out there , crafters , pvmers , pvpers. There is tons of them , all of them. Sadly freeshards doesnt have a lot of RP.

I am a PvPer myself, I was also a crafter, tamer and Roleplayer. Just because people is red doesnt mean you cant defeat them, they are usually eaiser to defeat.

When they add the shard I will start out as a RP and hopefully get the old CoY back from Europa days.

R

Ray_

Good luck ever getting 2 spells to drop that kind of damage, even on someone with 0 resist. The statistics are highly unlikely against it, and its astronomically unlikely at GM resist.
Exp/ebolt = ~30 damage, fs = ~40 damage. We're talking 69hp after a clumsy here.

Also, 2 hits against UO:R dexer was only a likely event in the case of the lumberjack that was using higher end weapons. Given that, I've agreed that lumberjacking was ill thought out and should have been more tame. In all other cases, dying in 2 hits is even more unlikely than dying to a 2 spell combo at GM resist.
Are you kidding? Do remember that crushing blow was changed to +50% damage and capped at 60hp because people were getting hit for 80hp war hammer shots. 40hp hits on a mage from a 2h weapon weren't rare.
Proof: http://update.uo.com/design_208.html

A GM hally did around 33 damage on average with GM swords/tacs/anat. Max damage was something like 55 or 60.
War hammers were did like 27 damage on average with max around 40.
Those are non-LJ builds.

No smart dexer ever ran 100 dex, because that was being foolish. Also, GM resist cut that damage down by half at least 50% of the time, so it was relatively useless.
I was thinking of a mage when I wrote that. Balanced stats didn't hurt dexers nearly as much as they hurt mages, as was it's intent. The whole point of UO:R combat changes was to nerf mages into something more resembling standard PnP mages. I'd say glass cannon, but since overall mage DPS output was severely reduced that isn't quite accurate.

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

Yeah I know I'll probably end up just getting the current client with stuff turned off, that is completely fine with me. I could care less if I had the chest login screen or some crappy castle in the fuzzy distance or whatever the heck the screen is now.
Putting the chest animation back in would be really easy. That could (and should HEY CAL HINT HINT) be an option in the existing game...a simple addition to the options gump should be able to enable that.

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

Sigh, so many think because its only Felucca the whole server will be about PvP. ITS WRONG, totally wrong. Say that to all the freeshard servers out there , crafters , pvmers , pvpers. There is tons of them , all of them. Sadly freeshards doesnt have a lot of RP.
Fantasy has a point. There will be others playing on the Classic Shard besides PvPers.

The key to making sure that there are others besides PvPers is to never offer Trammel or a Classic Shard that has Trammel. People that hate AoS and want to re-discover the Classic Era will log onto the Classic Shard, even if it means they have to deal with PKs. And, in my opinion, they will stay as long as there are some controls in place to keep PKing down some.

But...I think that the people playing on the shard would understand better than they did back in the old days that PvP is a part of the shard...and not something being 'forced' on them. They have choices, and as Phantus points out, not that many Trammel players will flock to this shard. I still believe that some will...some will because they want a new start, others will because they remember the pre AoS days fondly, and others will because they are simply curious about what the game used to be like.

E

Evlar

Given the context, you should leave cheeks out of this... :popcorn:
Hahaha... touché :lol:

What I find amusing, is people taking themselves far too seriously, but we're all guilty of that from time to time, right?. People also take little witticisms aimed vaguely in their direction, far too personally.

Hell... if you can't have a laugh about things from time to time, or one's self, what can you do?

If people take such offence at some of the quips and images I throw around here, you want to see the forums where I moderate. It's actually the other moderators taking the mickey out of me for the most part, but hey, it's all in good humour. ;)

E

Evlar

Speaking of wandering around Great Lakes....Is Kazola's Treetop Tavern still outside of Yew?
Can't say I remember that place sadly.

I was in W&L, who's guild house is still sat outside Cove gates. Didn't see any of my old friends bar one, who's now in Guild of Friends. We had some laughs about old times, not least my predisposition to run around Cove Orc Fort naked, luring the orcs out... a lot. ;)

I remember VK were a pretty big guild back then, but I didn't see anything of them. Likewise, although I bumped into, or played with, some of the old orcish guild players, I didn't see any signs of the guilds themselves. One such player in particular, still talks in orcish :)

There were a few character names on house signs that I remembered, but it seems many of them are only occasional players, or just pay their subs in hope of better times to come, without logging in too often. I couldn't find many of them around sadly.

Impy's auction house was still there, but never anyone around, apart from the odd MOA associated event.

I think the most fun I had up until I transferred my characters, was during the GOF anniversary celebrations. They did a great job and it was fun to participate in some small way. The ghost march through Atlantic shard was also pretty good fun, especially around Yew gate in Fel.

Would be nice to bump into some of those old players, who have either lost interest in UO completely, or their interest is in decline. I've lost their contact details after several house moves, including one to another country, but I think many of them weren't very impressed with Trammel or AoS, so you never know if they're out there, might bump into them again.

R

Renyard Foxenwyle

Can't say I remember that place sadly.

I was in W&L, who's guild house is still sat outside Cove gates. Didn't see any of my old friends bar one, who's now in Guild of Friends. We had some laughs about old times, not least my predisposition to run around Cove Orc Fort naked, luring the orcs out... a lot. ;)
W&L...Cove Merchants Guild? If it's the house I'm thinking of I used to buy most of my gear from them. As for GoF I was actually in that for about 2 months before bumping into an old friend who had somehow managed to keep our old guildstone alive through several years of changes in UO. He was quiting and I felt the need to take the guild stone over from him so I ended up leaving them. Great guild alltogether though.
I remember VK were a pretty big guild back then, but I didn't see anything of them. Likewise, although I bumped into, or played with, some of the old orcish guild players, I didn't see any signs of the guilds themselves. One such player in particular, still talks in orcish :)
I miss fighting Shadowclan. Those were always great fights. For some reason I always ended up laughing and not paying attention to what was happening onscreen and clumpd. It's a shame what has been lost over time in this game.
There were a few character names on house signs that I remembered, but it seems many of them are only occasional players, or just pay their subs in hope of better times to come, without logging in too often. I couldn't find many of them around sadly.

Impy's auction house was still there, but never anyone around, apart from the odd MOA associated event.

I think the most fun I had up until I transferred my characters, was during the GOF anniversary celebrations. They did a great job and it was fun to participate in some small way. The ghost march through Atlantic shard was also pretty good fun, especially around Yew gate in Fel.

Would be nice to bump into some of those old players, who have either lost interest in UO completely, or their interest is in decline. I've lost their contact details after several house moves, including one to another country, but I think many of them weren't very impressed with Trammel or AoS, so you never know if they're out there, might bump into them again.
Hopefully we'll all bump into old friends when we get our classic shard. I know it would be great to get my CoB tag back over my head with all 12 of the original Crusaders to ride with. I know it's all mushy and sentimental, but it meant a lot to me then. Guess it still does.

Ahuaeyjnkxs

stranger diamond
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It wouls be funny to get all those old schoolers on one shard, people would tag their guild title with their shard of origin.

I'm glad everyone's mind is settled right now... we didn't need more bickering.

I don't expect to have many friends on there if I used my old names.

Oh and yes you can say it was mystical, the lore and everything ; but not in the traditional way. Since it was dynamic this time it wasn't centered on mysticism, rather geared towards imagination.

If anyone followed a bit, they'll know that Mr Gariott's father was a member of a secret society, so most likely than not, that was also Richard's destiny.

But more important than that... does ANYONE know who Nystul was (played by)... this guy was a genius.

R

Renyard Foxenwyle

It wouls be funny to get all those old schoolers on one shard, people would tag their guild title with their shard of origin.

I'm glad everyone's mind is settled right now... we didn't need more bickering.

I don't expect to have many friends on there if I used my old names.

Oh and yes you can say it was mystical, the lore and everything ; but not in the traditional way. Since it was dynamic this time it wasn't centered on mysticism, rather geared towards imagination.

If anyone followed a bit, they'll know that Mr Gariott's father was a member of a secret society, so most likely than not, that was also Richard's destiny.

But more important than that... does ANYONE know who Nystul was (played by)... this guy was a genius.
If I were a betting man I'd say that Mike Nystul was probably the player of Nystul. I could be wrong, but he was very influential in rpg devlopment and is currently working in Austin so it kinda makes sense. Of course the fact that Nystul made an appearance early in the Ultima Lore could also be RG's homage to a person who was an influence to him.

Ahuaeyjnkxs

stranger diamond
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sounds like it could be right...

I was wondering because it was known that it was him who inspired Xorinia's AI that I spent so much time trying to "train"...

the Ai learned english from scratch, in merely 8 months. On the atlantic server it caused so much lag during that time, people tought it was hackers, but it was this hungry AI that would devour all information available worsening the lag 2 times over.

I wonder who actually programmed it, because when it gave me the armageddon spell to tempt me (and everyone must know by now I'm not the avatar and have not refused out of virtue) it could speak pretty fluently, well... for someone who was used to decypher its intricacies.

I think thats the hardest part for people to accept about my story, that somehow I was able to cast the dreadful spell. There is now many people that IMed me they remember that night fighting with balrons (first time we had seen them in game) at 4 AM in the morning... the server must have peaked at 3-4000 players because people were calling their friends saying it was the end of the world.

It was georgeously epic. Guards beign turned off like that... people from all walks of life rallying against the evil. After that, the only communication I got from the GM who was in charge of our team is that the program was being TESTED on test center to eventually complete the FoA story arch (because the goal was to wipe almost everything to "start fresh" with a super anti hack program I was to help with) All houses and riches were to be eliminated... well they never understood what had happened, noone had the codes to transfer it to the prod shards like this they told me. They started accusing me after that, knowing how good a hacker I was, and it all went downhill from there... no more official communications, even the GMs started ignoring me. Everyone was fired shortly after, amidst the confusion...

So... although that sounds like him, it might just be a dedication as you said and the actual programmer is still hidden in the shadows... I guess time will tell, as it ends.

If we can find that person, I think he could contribute greatly to the classic shard being a success, I never got bored of interacting with that AI... it felt... ok I'll say it. Alive.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Locking, it's taking so long to load people's browsers are locking up. The discussion may continue in a second thread.
Please keep it polite!

Status
Not open for further replies.