• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Can anything be done about AFK store owners/roomies?

K

Keep It Real

It was quicker for me to reboot than wait to finish landing there.

M

Meggers

---------------------------

I could actually hear my puter crying... "MOMMY, MAKE IT STOP!!!!!"

K

Keep It Real

<blockquote><hr>

---------------------------

I could actually hear my puter crying... "MOMMY, MAKE IT STOP!!!!!"

[/ QUOTE ]

ROFLMAO!

I

imported_DutchAmerica

I dropped in this morning just to check things out and I do understand perfectly well why some people are a little tiffed about the stores.

There were 2 stores with 10 afk hidden guests in both. Technically I guess it's not cheating if they are paid accounts.

Some players do not take kindly to this situation and I understand it probably does irk people. Since there isn't a guest bonus any longer, I can only wonder why these players still feel the need to totally 'crush' their competition.

I know the devs don't care if stores are open AFK, but the total 'in your face' behavior with the afk-time out-over-ride guests is just not acceptable to me and it shouldn't be to Devs either.

I think the only people that should be able to 'hide' in stores should be the owners/roomies. Guests should NOT be able to use the Hide and Seek feature.

Maybe that would stop the 'afk-guest' situation.

M

mariotso

i don't really see the point of why they do it either. with no visitor bonus i don't understand the benefit of hiding all those people other than bragging rights to being #1 which we all know just means they have the most accounts lol

at the same time, i don't think its anything we need devs to have to rewrite code over. some things are easy and should just be ignored

G

*ttl*

The one remaining benefit from having people on a store lot, is being seen in city view map filter. There has to be 'visitors' on a lot before the property makes it into the map filter, especially when there are a lot of stores open, so keeping a lot of non-roomie alts on a store property, could be purely profit motivated.

I completely support the *yellow pages* design, that would let a player look up *all* open properties, regardless of 100 list. It would not hurt either to have a constant rotation of all open properties in the map filter, too

R

Roger Wilco

The visitor bonus was never important to store owners. It's also not a matter of bragging rights. At least in my case it's not.

It's really quite simple, the highest ranked open stores get more traffic than the ones below them. More traffic equals more sales.

I

imported_DutchAmerica

I'm just pointing it out, because even though some players don't care. Like I don't really care. I have never and probably never will care about whether my house is #1 or not on the list at all. Some players do care and can't begin to compete with someone investing that much money in the game just to make themselves #1.

And I totally understand lots wanting to 'get on the map'. But 'parking' 10 guest on your lot for an extended period of time is a bit 'over kill'.

Which leads me to wonder how they could over ride the time out on 11 sims? Do they have 11 computers or are they running 3rd party software?

So now, it's not just a question of not 'playing nice'. Now it's an issue of these stores possibly committing a bannable TSO offense.

N

nobuttkisser

<font color="red"> Umm..I've been around since beta, thank you very much. Please don't treat me like I'm stupid. Especially since I've been around longer than you. What do you mean it won't exist in a couple months? How can you be sure that AFK store owners/roomies won't be around in a couple of months? Especially if you don't work for Maxis/EA? If Maxis/EA doesn't do anything about it now, who's to say it won't happen in EALand after the merge? And what do I care about after the merge anyway? I'm talking about now. It's been going on forever and I'm tired of it. This is exactly what I mean when I say Maxis/EA should have been on top of things and fixing things before now.
</font>

hmmmm down to basics here "AFK (away from keyboard) defeats the purpose of the game which means interaction between two people running sim avatar's. moving away from that keyboard and go do something else is not what the game developers had in mine. that is why they allowed 5 minutes so you can deal with personal issues in real life.

If the game developers intended for us game players to be in constant afk mode, they woud have put up a button (like Second Life) whre you can click on "away mode" and just let the game run itself or worse yet made the game where no interaction between other avitars was possible.

Whenever I play TSO or soon to be EA Land, I expect to converse with people from within North America and around the world because for me , at least its one of the main reason I play the game ( other than building and redecorating) and yes the reason why I pasted and copied your statement is I to am a Founder play all during the beta days, always spoke when something was either implemented by Maxis/Ea or exploited by "cheaters" and am looking forward to a game that will bring EVERYONE back to an even keil... so if you a sim player wish to remain away from the computer have the comon deceny to exit the game and come back when you can sit in front of thte computer and interact with others. Maybe its me but if you are a property owner that are looking for visitors to come in and skill or deal with adult issues or even purchase something, if you ae a roomate or an owner then IMO its your responsibility to make yourself available to any visitor who steps on your property

::walks off thinking... put out tip jar, charge for food, clean my own house, make my simoleans count.... yeah bring em back lol ::

G

Stores not withstanding, I now "officially" hate not having the catalogue.
1. I cleared out my CC folder to reduce the lag - good.
2. I needed some stuff for my lot but it was not in the catalogue - bad.
3. So, I had to go to a store, which loaded a bunch of picsicles in my CC folder - bad.
4. They didn't have what I wanted and the owner was afk - bad.
5. Had to go to another store, which DL more CC junk - very bad.
6. See #4 - Very bad.
7. See #5 - super bad.
8. Am lagging horribly now - excruciating!
9. Finally got what I wanted, but had to suffer still more CC - evil.
10. Had to log off, empty the CC folder and log back on - demonic.

M

mariotso

<blockquote><hr>

The visitor bonus was never important to store owners. It's also not a matter of bragging rights. At least in my case it's not.

It's really quite simple, the highest ranked open stores get more traffic than the ones below them. More traffic equals more sales.

[/ QUOTE ]

for you maybe, but in tc3 it has been a major source of income until recently for everyone, not just store owners.

being ranked first doesn't mean you're on map filter which is the only thing i use. and higher traffic doesn't equal more sales if the price ain't right!

G

<blockquote><hr>

and higher traffic doesn't equal more sales if the price ain't right!

[/ QUOTE ]
You would be surprised. I have seen stores in the top 3 spots charge high prices because people don't take the time to shop around. They just go to the top of the list and buy it.

It used to be, in the production cities, once you dropped off the first page of the listing (lower than #9), then your visitors (read that as <u>sales</u>) dropped dramatically.

M

mariotso

yeah used to be i never went to a shop at all! with money tight you better believe i'm checkin prices everywhere before i buy!

C

calvinscreeksim

<blockquote><hr>

I guess it's time to start supporting number 10 and below.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah lets help out the little guys, they are important too. Some people need to stop afk'ing their 5+ accounts on each of their many store lots for countless hours in order to become a lower scale store, therefore resulting in more support for not letting things get to their head thinking that they are hot [censored].

I

imported_DutchAmerica

Hey, I noticed that stores with a lot of picsicles were very slow loading even with my hot rod computer.

Then add the fact that they have 10 extra sims hiding and possibly whatever software they are using to keep them from timing out.

No wonder for the first time since putting my computer into service, I can say I had laggy problems.

But it was only at 2 particular lots that it occurred and no where else.

M

Meggers

Which leads me to wonder how they could over ride the time out on 11 sims? Do they have 11 computers or are they running 3rd party software?
--------------------------------

Yes, they are using a 3rd party program. I know what it is but I can't say it in here.

G

There are many different 3rd party programs out there. And I'm sure the devs have looked at all of them. And if you know and have proof, you should report the person doing it. That is one of the reason for the report a sim button.

G

<blockquote><hr>

I think the only people that should be able to 'hide' in stores should be the owners/roomies. Guests should NOT be able to use the Hide and Seek feature.

[/ QUOTE ]

<blockquote><hr>

So now, it's not just a question of not 'playing nice'. Now it's an issue of these stores possibly committing a bannable TSO offense.

[/ QUOTE ]

The one person running 11 sims is doing the same thing one person running one sim is. But are you saying it's ok for the one sim to run afk but not 11? I do get what you're saying, it is over kill. But how is running 11 sims afk any more cheating than running 1 sim afk?

E

Executioner_47

I've been a store owner in AV for over a year now and Have posted on my property that we're a 24/7 "SELF SERVE" STORE and and special orders are handled through IM messages.Everything in my store is priced and kept up-to-date and there are property signs explaining what days fruit are and aren't sold.
Thus I don't feel that I need to be there to hold your hand like a child for you to purchase what you need.

AFK is a common occurrance and part of the game,especially now with the merger looming and I for one don't and won't sell any crafts,rares or fruits for simoleans as it would be the same as giving them away with the simolean wipe on the horizon.So unless you're willing to trade crafts and rares for fruit,the only thing you can buy from my store at this time is catalogue items which are clearly priced and I don't need to be there for you to do that.

All the people that I've dealt with over the past year know exactly what the set-up of my store is,they come buy what they need be on their way and they leave me an IM if they need something that I don't have in the store and it's worked out just fine for all concerned.

When I first started playing this game over some two years ago,I often ran into not only AFK stores but other AFK properties as well and rahter than sit around whimpering and whinning about it,I searched the city until I found someone to answer whatever question I had.Patience is my weakest virtue and in playing this game,I quickly learned that I either better develop a patience level or just quit playing.AFK is part of the game and will more than likely always will be and so I learned to deal with just as I did with other aspects of the game and if and when I get tired of doing so,then I'll quit playing and that will solve all my irritations.

C

calvinscreeksim

<blockquote><hr>

and special orders are handled through IM messages.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well yeah you can run a 24/7 afk store for people to buy what they want when they want, just like you say its happening alot and no changing that. However, what if your sold out of a particular item and dont restock it (since your out napping, shopping, eating ect in rl) and someone sends you a message but low and behold no reply is given within a reasonable I'm done dinner now time. I think thats what would irk myself the most. Its one thing to accept that the owner is afk and your free to buy whatever is on the floor at the time, but its another to follow the requests of the homeowner and send the message but never getting a reply for hours if at all. I dunno thats just my two cents.

G

The point of the matter is, searching for a good price is constructive. Searching for something because home owners are afk the WHOLE TIME is just a waste of time.

L

legscroft

ttl

Here are my thoughts

I hate the list. It doesn't seem to be indicative of anything other than planting sims on your lot. So long as the list lives on, so will the competition for #1. I don't find it to be a matter of respect for holding the #1 position, although others might. I would be inclined to compete for more foot traffic. While some sims search via map filter and some frequent their favorite stores &amp; some search out bargains, still others rely on the list. I would like to see a better search feature/classified ad system put into place.

I don't expect/want anyone in a store to chat with me. I don't seek my socialization through stores. If there is an item I really want and can't find anyone around to get it for me...oh well, I'm glad that I could at least get the other umpteen things I wanted/needed, perhaps tomorrow someone will be around.

M

mariotso

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

and special orders are handled through IM messages.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well yeah you can run a 24/7 afk store for people to buy what they want when they want, just like you say its happening alot and no changing that. However, what if your sold out of a particular item and dont restock it (since your out napping, shopping, eating ect in rl) and someone sends you a message but low and behold no reply is given within a reasonable I'm done dinner now time. I think thats what would irk myself the most. Its one thing to accept that the owner is afk and your free to buy whatever is on the floor at the time, but its another to follow the requests of the homeowner and send the message but never getting a reply for hours if at all. I dunno thats just my two cents.

[/ QUOTE ]

what is lost by sending a message and never ever getting a reply is less than the time, energy and effort it took you to wrote this. is this really a hardship? so unfair that you have to complain about it? poor customer service perhaps, but come on...the sense of entitlement in this entire thread is staggering.

all of you have a choice, shop or don't shop. obviously the afk shopkeepers are providing a service for some people or they wouldn't be there

M

Meggers

There are many different 3rd party programs out there. And I'm sure the devs have looked at all of them. And if you know and have proof, you should report the person doing it. That is one of the reason for the report a sim button.
----------------------------------------------

I can't report what I can't prove. But it stands to reason that if they have 10 accounts hiding on a lot, they don't have 10 different puters. We all pretty much know they are using a 3rd party program but if I report them I am the only one who gets into trouble.

G

if they have 10 accounts hiding on a lot, they don't have 10 different puters.

You only need one computer and a timer. Just set the timer for 12-14 minutes and tab through your accounts when it buzzes. No ToS violations. It could be a violation of common sense to spent $100 a month doing that, though.

M

Meggers

if they have 10 accounts hiding on a lot, they don't have 10 different puters.

You only need one computer and a timer. Just set the timer for 12-14 minutes and tab through your accounts when it buzzes. No ToS violations. It could be a violation of common sense to spent $100 a month doing that, though.
------------------------------------------------

If they were doing that you could get their attention every 15 minutes.

G

you could get their attention every 15 minutes

How do you know they are not just ignoring you? It's not against the ToS to not reply to someone, is it? We need more people spending $100 a month to help keep TSO alive.

D

donnallg

<blockquote><hr>

all of you have a choice, shop or don't shop.

[/ QUOTE ]

We don't have a choice now. We have to shop if we want something since they have took the good objects out of the catalog. It would be nice if we could go to a store and get everything we needed, being if they had it out. If it wasn't out it would be nice to ask them to get it. I like to go to one store and get what I need. Not 5 to find everything. I will pay a little extra for items if I can get them all at the same store.

I

imported_DutchAmerica

I went to 8 stores last night looking for a typewriter.

8 stores were afk, 8 stores did not have the object

I ended up having to land at my own store and buy it from the catalog.

So much for having stores open 24/7 if you can't get what you need.

G

What Dutch just said, that is a problem. I think that is what the original poster of this was talking about. Everyone can come in and say "Those afkers are doing a service." Last night they didn't do a service for Dutch. With the long landing times and such, that probably wasted a good bit of time for Dutch.

Wasted time is wasted money. In that time he wasted trying to find a typewriter he could have been earning money. So how did he benefit from an afk store? He didn't. That is where the problem is. Afkers think they are doing well by being afk, when in fact, they are causing people to waste time. Had they said they were Afk in the store detail, which I'm sure Dutch had read(hopefully), I'm sure he might not have landed there.

K

Keep It Real

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Ummm....you lost me right here. Why didn't you just buy from yourself in the first place? Feel free to hand me the Captain Obvious award if I missed the point here.

K

Keep It Real

Oh I see it was a terrible burden to buy an object from herself.

G

Maybe not a burden. Maybe it was Christmas spirit that made Dutch feel the need to go buy from some else.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Ummm....you lost me right here. Why didn't you just buy from yourself in the first place? Feel free to hand me the Captain Obvious award if I missed the point here.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think it's more like - 'I ended up having to land at my own store and buy it at the catalog <u>price</u>.' Because she 'obviously' dint have a bunch of them to get a discount.

K

Keep It Real

seems like a lot of trouble to save less than one stories worth of simoleans, but hey, your answer makes sense I guess.

P

PB Three

btw, I have always been a stay-at-keyboard sim-business person. Especially after ths thread. I opened my store in TC3 yesterday. It has on the property desc: "We're never afk!" I intend it keep it that way. Pretty much all of my pass-times are on my computer anyway.

Find me as "Medieval PB Three" (that's my store sim and the one I am usually playing).

P.S. I guess I mixed an ad with on-topic parts.

PB Three

C

calvinscreeksim

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ] <blockquote><hr>

seems like a lot of trouble to save less than one stories worth of simoleans, but hey, your answer makes sense I guess

[/ QUOTE ]

About as much of a burden as it would have been for the AFK shopkeeper to actually povide their "service" in the first place, like they say they do.

K

Keep It Real

Yeah life is so unfair.
Maybe she will get a gnome for her trouble, lol.

C

calvinscreeksim

<blockquote><hr>

Yeah life is so unfair. Maybe she will get a gnome for her trouble, lol

[/ QUOTE ]

lol maybe. However its probably going to cost about $59.99, if not more. So thats kinda a problem

G

TTL

So I'm sitting at a lot that is selling CC chairs, and the owner is afk. I usually don't buy much, I have most of what I need. Anyway, I think this CC chair I found is really cool, but they are out of stock. Since the owner is afk(IM box is full, so permanent afk) I can't ask about when they restock or if they could even get me one. Irritating and a complete waste of time.

I

imported_DutchAmerica

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a store lot not because I want to run a store.

I use my store lot to 'store' items so they don't decay. Like crafted items and such. And especially now that we can't 'sell back'.

In game, I'd much rather 'shop' at a real store with 'other' players. If I wanted to play a game by myself, I'd be playing sims2.

You see, I have multiple sims and I have multiple houses in just about every category. But I'm very concious of the fact that 'other' players are trying to make a living and thus I choose to try to give them as much of my time as possible.

K

Keep It Real

yeah life sucks sometimes but was it really that big of a deal, I mean really was it?

I

imported_DutchAmerica

<blockquote><hr>

yeah life sucks sometimes but was it really that big of a deal, I mean really was it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, yeah it was.

Think of it this way, I am lucky enough to have multiples and a power house of a computer to run them. But last night I was in a rush because I didn't know who my secret santa was and when I found out, I had to go track down the items I wanted to give him. It's much faster to run to a store and get it then to start logging in and out a bunch of sims.

But beyond me, what about the 'plain jane' player that doesn't have my resources? Where do they go to find things? Don't just look at me, look at all the others that have to go through the same thing.

K

Keep It Real

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, yeah it was.

Think of it this way, I am lucky enough to have multiples and a power house of a computer to run them. But last night I was in a rush because I didn't know who my secret santa was and when I found out, I had to go track down the items I wanted to give him. It's much faster to run to a store and get it then to start logging in and out a bunch of sims.

But beyond me, what about the 'plain jane' player that doesn't have my resources? Where do they go to find things? Don't just look at me, look at all the others that have to go through the same thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand what you are saying. I'm not a fan of afk stores either. I can understand fruit growers leaving a single sim signed on with the store on "ban all" but leaving a place open with 10 plus sims hiding is a joke at best.

Anyway, I hope whoever got the typewriter as a gift was happy and all worked out.

G

So to add to earlier. I left the lot, went to another store for awhile. Came back to that lot and now there is a message in the house bio saying that they are afk that wasn't there before. So all in all, it was waste of my time to want that chair.

K

Keep It Real

I guess you are not suppose to have that chair afterall. Chaulk it up to "Oh well I tried".