• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Can anything be done about AFK store owners/roomies?

T

TKSpeedy1

Last night, I logged on for a few minutes for the first time in over a month. I went to a store that was clearly advertising selling fruit....Even the signs on the property were clearly saying they WERE selling fruit I wanted to buy to use up some of my simoelans, but the trees were blocked off. I asked the store owner/roomie if I could buy fruit...I even sent her an IM. No response at all. Now I know we all have lives and are AFK sometimes, but this is getting ridiculous. How are we supposed to ask questions if the owners/roomies are AFK? And just a suggestion for store owners....If you AREN'T selling something (like fruit), which was the case here, I'm sure, since most people aren't selling fruit these days, PLEASE take it out of your property description and any signs in your store that say you are selling it.

Thank you.

G

No offense, but where have you been? Permanent AFK store owners cluttered the cities when I first started playing about a year ago and it has gotten worse. Nothing is going to be done in the production cities. The devs have stated that the production cities will get enough to keep them running because of the impending merge. Its a waste to devote time to something that won't exist in a couple of months. As far as the botting of time, that will be dealt with soon. They have to perfect it in TC3 before it gets implemented anywhere.

I

imported_Spacey

Well, I would say it would go away after the merge because the way the payout for top 100 list will be eliminated. They stay open for hours and to be tops on the list. But it they are ALSO staying open so that they can sell things 24/7. So, it doesn't look like the afk store owner will ease up. They have the most to benefit from the hide and override functions. Maybe hide and seek should be turned off, or at least have a small decay to it. Though, even before hide and seek, there were owners afk standing in pee or even dead on their lots.

I actually don't mind, I like having a store to go to and shop when so many are closed. I hardly ever ask the owner for anything and I don't buy fruit. It's nice to visit with someone though, but if it is between no store open in the city or an afk store...if I can get what I need there, it's ok.

We'll see if this is looked at as a part of the game overhaul.

K

Keep It Real

This topic has been beat to death over the last several months. I even recall Lee saying "so what" about afk store owners and Luc saying something on the lines of an NPC to keep stores open. So without further delay.......

T

TKSpeedy1

<blockquote><hr>

This topic has been beat to death over the last several months. I even recall Lee saying "so what" about afk store owners and Luc saying something on the lines of an NPC to keep stores open. So without further delay.......

[/ QUOTE ]

You know...I'm really getting tired of your beating a dead horse pic....it's disgusting, IMO. And I've never seen any topic about an AFK store here...and i've been here watching the boards for the last few months. Plus if Lee, a DEV, says "so what" about an AFK store, then I know we're in trouble. DEV's should care. I mean, come on...a DEV that doesn't care...doesn't make sense to me. And an NPC to keep stores open wouldn't work...it would be the same as AFK owners/roomies since they can't answer questions.

IF Maxis/EA doesn't care about this problem then we're in a lot of trouble. I mean, come on...IMO they should care about the game as a whole, not just certain features. That isn't fair.

T

TKSpeedy1

<blockquote><hr>

No offense, but where have you been? Permanent AFK store owners cluttered the cities when I first started playing about a year ago and it has gotten worse. Nothing is going to be done in the production cities. The devs have stated that the production cities will get enough to keep them running because of the impending merge. Its a waste to devote time to something that won't exist in a couple of months. As far as the botting of time, that will be dealt with soon. They have to perfect it in TC3 before it gets implemented anywhere.

[/ QUOTE ]

Umm..I've been around since beta, thank you very much. Please don't treat me like I'm stupid. Especially since I've been around longer than you. What do you mean it won't exist in a couple months? How can you be sure that AFK store owners/roomies won't be around in a couple of months? Especially if you don't work for Maxis/EA? If Maxis/EA doesn't do anything about it now, who's to say it won't happen in EALand after the merge? And what do I care about after the merge anyway? I'm talking about now. It's been going on forever and I'm tired of it. This is exactly what I mean when I say Maxis/EA should have been on top of things and fixing things before now.

I

imported_DutchAmerica

I can totally understand your frustration.

Basically, the devs think that since you have to visit a store in order to purchase many items, that the stores are doing players a favor by keeping their lots open. However, with the lot limits, it's almost impossible for store owners to carry every item and if they are afk. There is almost no way that you can get what you are searching for.

Sad but true, the vast majority of stores in av/bf don't even carry regular items. I guess maybe because most players have so much money, they can just buy them from the catelog.

But if they aren't even selling what they are advertising even if it's on the property, I think that's wrong. There was a girl in BF that advertised all her crafts to be 50k. I went there and not a single one of her items was less then $9,999,999,999. She was all chatty chatty when I asked "how was her day" and such. And then refused to speak when I asked about her bio and what her actual prices were. She went silent and stopped talking.

I try to make not of these kind of places and try not to waste my time going there. But infrequent visitors to those cities are stuck wasting time I guess.

Hopefully once we have the merge, the most helpful stores will emerge.

I have a few favorites in TC3 where I can always get what I want. (even if I do have to pay $8 to use the potty and then $8 to leave the potty.....LMAO)

G

<blockquote><hr>

Well, I would say it would go away after the merge because the way the payout for top 100 list will be eliminated. They stay open for hours and to be tops on the list. But it they are ALSO staying open so that they can sell things 24/7.

[/ QUOTE ]

In the case of so called "fruit farms", they stay open so the trees will produce fruit.

I

imported_Shirl1211

Sorry TKSpeedy. I have stores in all the cities. I am not going to sell my merchandise until after the merge since the simoleans are useless to me. I also have mystic trees that I want to ripen so I can use them for my own personal use. I do agree that store owners should update their house profile which I did. Sorry if you find this rude that I will be AFK but really, why would anyone sell items at this point? I don't lock my house because I have numerous friends that like to stop in to say hello. Yes, I check ctrl H!

G

I have always said this... if you are going to play tso.. then dont be afk unless you have to quick run to the potty or answer a phone. If you arent going to be back in game before you time out.. then log off. AFK store owners have always pissed me off. Whenever I played and had my stores I was there.. period. AFK playing is stupid and a waste of others time.... especially if you own a store.

M

mariotso

i don't mind stores being afk one bit, especially in tc3 where much has been removed from the catalog.

i prefer an afk store owner to not being able to shop at all.

K

Keep It Real

<blockquote><hr>

I have always said this... if you are going to play tso.. then dont be afk unless you have to quick run to the potty or answer a phone. If you arent going to be back in game before you time out.. then log off. AFK store owners have always pissed me off. Whenever I played and had my stores I was there.. period. AFK playing is stupid and a waste of others time.... especially if you own a store.

[/ QUOTE ]

WOW and you don't even play anymore, you should see the amount of hours some of the stores in TC3 have, it's shocking. Some have more hours logged than the average skillhouses. One store I know of often has 10-15 afk sims stashed at the store. I guess being high on the list is VERY important to some people even if they don't get the bonus anymore.

B

Bindy

Unless they remove the hide and seek feature (which they wont) there will always be AFK stores. Its a pain, but if it bugs you that much hun dont shop at those stores anymore. Hopefully it will get better after the merge but I wouldnt hold my breath any if I were you.

I

imported_Shirl1211

I don't play this game for you nor anyone else but myself and if I choose to be AFK then that's my perogative. I don't think being an AFK player in the store category makes me a minority either.

V

vapd3317

<blockquote><hr>

AFK playing is stupid and a waste of others time

[/ QUOTE ]

hmmmm......I believe I play the game for myself, and not to please others. Why is my desired game play stupid?...because I don't desire to chat?...If I wanted a chat room I would go find one.

I frankly find chatty players particularily irritating. Im a guy....I dont chat....it's a guy thing. Heck, I even block my que so people will leave me alone.

Yup, Im an unsociable grumpy old turd. I LIKE me that way.

K

Keep It Real

<blockquote><hr>

I don't play this game for you nor anyone else but myself and if I choose to be AFK then that's my perogative. I don't think being an AFK player in the store category makes me a minority either.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ummm......I don't have a problem with AFK store owners.......but do they need to have 10+ sims stashed at the store?

G

The hide and seek feature isn't the problem. Like someone said before, way back when, owners would stand in their own pee or be dead, but still afk regardless. I don't like afk store owners, never have and never will. I have never ran an afk store, it's just something I could never bring myself to do. And Tkspeddy, I was trying to treat you like you are stupid. You brought up a point that I have seen all over these boards. I do have say though that most of the time, it was an OT in some thread. But, the devs have stated they are going to do nothing but enough to keep production cities up and running till the merge. TC3 is where they test out stuff. This is where they will test against stopping botting, afkers, and other things of that nature. But coming up with a plan, executing, and following through to see success take time. TC3 is where new things for EALand will be tested at. I don't believe there is any changing that. IMHO, there is nothing going to be done about afk store owners, even if you come here and make a thread about it. I think they will read it and move on. But like I said, that's just my opinion.

G

If I remember correctly, after 15 minutes(???) of inactivity the game kicks you out. So are you coming back and moving your mouse every time so it doesn't boot you or are you using a third party program?? If so, <u>third party programs are against the ToS of the game.</u> So you would be doing something that if you were caught, you could have your account suspended or even canceled.

I

imported_Qute Pi

Obviously everyone can play how they want, that doesn't mean we have to agree. Its part of the reason I have an extra account, to buy items at a store so I don't support worthless store owners who are constantly afk.

Why pay $10 a month and not even play? Thats what I don't get. Or why do they think they are so cool being at the top of the list with a bunch of their own accounts? We joke about people and their fake guests, we point and laugh.

As much as I want to share my opinion of the many situations including this one, that was a problem in TSO and will continue to be a problem in EA land, its a waste of my time. The game is going to be developed how EA wants it, and as long as their getting their money they don't care how people play.

All we can hope for is good players opening up store properties after the merge, because we will have to rely on them more than ever at that point. Geez sounds like a blast! Can't wait for EA Land! Woohoo! lol (that was sarcasm)

G

<blockquote><hr>

Why pay $10 a month and not even play?

[/ QUOTE ]

Right there says it all. Period.

I

imported_Shirl1211

Maybe I should clarify myself a little here. First off, I run multiple sims and so therefore I concentrate on the houses that do require my attention. A store category is for selling items which should already be priced if they are for sale. This category doesn't commit me to provide greening for shoppers. I might add that my store that is located in Blazing falls and sold crafts would usually sell out in a day due to my good prices and all this was done while I was AFK. I do think that houses that use multiple sims that are all AFK to accumulate hours for property position is nothing more then cheating. And BTW, even being AFK, when I switch over and have had a sale or a message I send a ty and I respond to the customer.

I

imported_Qute Pi

I have nothing to say about how you may or may not run a store. Or how anybody else does.

I support stores that are not afk. I don't care if they are too busy running another property. I don't care if their crafts are cheaper, yet they are afk.

I appreciate a hard working store owner who is doing their store duties. If you can't handle running both properties, then you won't get my business...its my choice, as is you choosing to pay attn to one property more than the other.

We all have choices. I choose to not support afk stores. U choose to run multiple properties...So be it *shrugs*

M

mariotso

no, not period.

you don't like it, don't do it. but quit judging people who provide a much needed and greatly appreciated service and keep their stores open so we can purchase what we need when we need it.

the devs have given afk store owners their blessings in tc3 and if you don't believe me, too bad. but feel free to drop lee a line.

G

Maybe you should read one of my earlier posts about being afk. Let me quote it for you:

<blockquote><hr>

If I remember correctly, after 15 minutes(???) of inactivity the game kicks you out. So are you coming back and moving your mouse every time so it doesn't boot you or are you using a third party program?? If so, <u>third party programs are against the ToS of the game.</u> So you would be doing something that if you were caught, you could have your account suspended or even canceled.

[/ QUOTE ]

No Lee didn't give a blessing, he said they weren't worried about it.

K

Keep It Real

Which is funny because dev's talk about using overrides. Go figure.......

I

imported_Qute Pi

<blockquote><hr>

the devs have given afk store owners their blessings in tc3 and if you don't believe me, too bad. but feel free to drop lee a line.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well if the dev's don't care about cheaters then I guess it's ok for us all to cheat! lol.

edited to add disclaimer (lol): by cheater I don't mean someone playing two properties at once. I mean someone who is blatantly afk for multiple hours while online.

M

mariotso

maybe you should read my quote. here let me quote it for you:

M

mariotso

yeah, not the first time that guy's been wrong and i really doubt the last

K

Keep It Real

<blockquote><hr>

yeah, not the first time that guy's been wrong and i really doubt the last

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah but I won't bring up the free accounts in TC3....that would be lame.

As long as the dev team has given the ok, then so be it.

T

TKSpeedy1

<blockquote><hr>

Well, I would say it would go away after the merge because the way the payout for top 100 list will be eliminated. They stay open for hours and to be tops on the list. But it they are ALSO staying open so that they can sell things 24/7. So, it doesn't look like the afk store owner will ease up. They have the most to benefit from the hide and override functions. Maybe hide and seek should be turned off, or at least have a small decay to it. Though, even before hide and seek, there were owners afk standing in pee or even dead on their lots.

I actually don't mind, I like having a store to go to and shop when so many are closed. I hardly ever ask the owner for anything and I don't buy fruit. It's nice to visit with someone though, but if it is between no store open in the city or an afk store...if I can get what I need there, it's ok.

We'll see if this is looked at as a part of the game overhaul.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who the heck cares about AFTER the merge?! I'm talking about NOW! Why is that so hard to comprehend? I'm so happy that you are pleased with stores now, but try to understand that there are people who aren't. There are some of us who like to buy fruit. So sorry if you can't understand that.

G

Regardless of whether the devs say its okay or not, it is still in the ToS which can still be enforced. And no, that is not wrong, that is right.

G

Of course, everyone that pays their subscription fee has a complete right to play the game anyway they want to do so (within the Terms of Service).

People pay for online games, to play and have a good time. So why do store keepers go AFK and not *play*?
When that many people have a similar reaction, it is time to look at what is causing the reaction.

AFK owners/roomies are the symptom...not the disease. What is wrong with the Store category and how it is set up, that sends so many players off to do something else? What can change that attitude? How could it be changed to make a store owner *want* to be there and glad to be interacting with their customers?

With the catalog removed from every players buy mode and money tight, AFK owners could become a big problem to shoppers in EALand.

So how do we fix it?

K

Keep It Real

WE shop at Gracies, she is always there if she is open, avoid the afk stores if you need help buying something. Seems so simple.

G

But how are you supposed to know who is afk and who isn't? New players aren't going to know that. Nor would I cause I don't shop around unless I have too.

K

Keep It Real

Ummm...if you can't see them or are not greeted by them, they most likely are afk. And there is also such a thing as asking if anyone is there, HELLO! Simple isn't it.

G

Yes but the fact that I would have to go from lot to lot to lot to find one, that's just ridiculous. That is an utter and complete waste of my time.

G

That is just a way to avoid the issue as a player, but it does not address the basic problem.

The problem is the store category, it's self. How does the game become proactive with the problems that create AFK owners?

Gracie is just one player out of thousands....how can the store game be made playable so that there are thousands of Gracie like store owners?

And just a note....I shopped in TC3 last night, extensively.....and the majority of owners were there....but there was still little conversation and few interactions....stores are boring places to visit/live. Why? How can we change it?

K

Keep It Real

<blockquote><hr>

That is just a way to avoid the issue as a player, but it does not address the basic problem.

The problem is the store category, it's self. How does the game become proactive with the problems that create AFK owners?

Gracie is just one player out of thousands....how can the store game be made playable so that there are thousands of Gracie like store owners?

And just a note....I shopped in TC3 last night, extensively.....and the majority of owners were there....but there was still little conversation and few interactions....stores are boring places to visit/live. Why? How can we change it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Allow money making objects to be used on store lots, skilling, making CC and all the other things that the other lots have.

I

imported_DutchAmerica

<blockquote><hr>

AFK owners/roomies are the symptom...not the disease. What is wrong with the Store category and how it is set up, that sends so many players off to do something else? What can change that attitude? How could it be changed to make a store owner *want* to be there and glad to be interacting with their customers?

[/ QUOTE ]

I will figure you are talking about the ones afk at stores while off doing something else in another house...What's wrong/how can we change it?

Before we say what's wrong let's look at it from another angle.....there are some stores alive and fun.

Guests stop in and stay. They hang out, enjoy the gossip, some site gags and spending a little time. Heck some of them will even sit down and read a cookbook at 18% with you. It's a fun and enjoyable place.

What's the difference? The difference is there is one player that demonstrates that they enjoy the category immensely and use their imaginations to create stores that are not only functional but are also fun places to be.

Is it that the 'others' really want to be store keepers or are they really in it just because it's an easier category to afk and run hours up for? or you can pay less attention to it in the long term then you can say a busy skill house?

I'm convinced that there are many players that are unhappy with TSO because they have not selected category homes that are compatible with their game play style.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Of course, everyone that pays their subscription fee has a complete right to play the game anyway they want to do so (within the Terms of Service).

People pay for online games, to play and have a good time. So why do store keepers go AFK and not *play*?
When that many people have a similar reaction, it is time to look at what is causing the reaction.

With the catalog removed from every players buy mode and money tight, AFK owners could become a big problem to shoppers in EALand.

So how do we fix it?

[/ QUOTE ]
Gilly. I agree 100%. owning a store is too easy/boring. Providing you have money to stock you just set up your lot with everything you need and wait for the people to come and buy.

Maybe extending a store owners inventory to hold more merchandise and lessening their lot object limit would be helpful, this way they constantly have to restock.

Idk, it'd make me laugh.

In all reality, if you think about it... somebody being on their store lot is not really all that necessary providing that they are able to have all the needs set out for sale. I know in SL you go to the store, you buy what you want, you leave.

Maybe it's unfair to expect a store lot owner to sit there all day waiting to greet everyone. (I know this is a problem for TK's original post with the fruit) but really... I have never owned a store b/c I do not have the attention span to sit there and play with myself.

I think it would be great if stores did not accrue visitor hours but where ranked by dollar amount in sales.
I think it'd also be great to have an NPC that the store owner pays a fee to EA for so that they can leave their lot unattended while they go out about town.

I'm sure there are many suggestions on the wiki, and once I learn not to sleep... I'll be able to read up on it all.

I

imported_DutchAmerica

That would be cool. I could rent an NPC and have my boutique open all the time?

I think if EA setup a system to do that there would be NPC stores aplenty open to appease everyone.

In fact, for regular catelog items, there could be a special catalog 'kiosk' when you click on it to review the items and select it from the pages. (this would mean, players would no longer have to have huge amounts of inventory to place on their lots.)

Your income would be a 'commission' on what you sold based on the pricing option you chose such as the following....

*At cost
*really cheap
*moderate
*expensive
Etc.

The trick to getting your store popular would be how you present your store and the extras you might throw in to attrack players to stop by or stick around.

I

imported_Dali Dalinza

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

A few years back -- I want to say 2003/4 -- there was a store owner in TC that was commited (understatement) to being #1. That said, he/she had an amazing lot. Not only was the store itself huge (think Walmart Superstore), but the lot featured many activities and games. I remember there were swimming and obstacle races, and of some contention even then, you could skill there as well. It was a popular, frenetic place that people loved to visit.

I agree that stores, per se, are boring. I don't like AFK stores, but I really don't blame owners for going AFK. Babysitting a store can be a cure for insomnia.

I am hoping that custom content will eventually help people create objects they can use for fun activities, and store owners, along with the rest of us, will be able to create unique entertainment on our lots.

On the other hand, what if stores go NPC? Will players want to compete with NPC stores? Why, and how?

What about combining stores with crafting category?

I

imported_Shirl1211

If you read my last quote, I stated that I run more then 1 sim....One crafts the items for my store while the other keeps the store open. BTW...the only program (actually I don't think it constitutes as a program) is alt-tab! And Ronin Dex, you shopped plenty of times at my AFK store. Which reminds me, I think it is bogus when a store owner buys up all reasonably priced crafts from one store and re-prices them for their own profit, but that's a whold new topic!

I

imported_Qute Pi

<blockquote><hr>

That would be cool. I could rent an NPC and have my boutique open all the time?

I think if EA setup a system to do that there would be NPC stores aplenty open to appease everyone.

In fact, for regular catelog items, there could be a special catalog 'kiosk' when you click on it to review the items and select it from the pages. (this would mean, players would no longer have to have huge amounts of inventory to place on their lots.)

Your income would be a 'commission' on what you sold based on the pricing option you chose such as the following....

*At cost
*really cheap
*moderate
*expensive
Etc.

The trick to getting your store popular would be how you present your store and the extras you might throw in to attrack players to stop by or stick around.

[/ QUOTE ]

yea what she said
hehe.
I like your idea...
LEE LOOK AT THIS IDEA AND PASS IT ALONG! lol

K

Keep It Real

<blockquote><hr>

If you read my last quote, I stated that I run more then 1 sim....One crafts the items for my store while the other keeps the store open. BTW...the only program (actually I don't think it constitutes as a program) is alt-tab! And Ronin Dex, you shopped plenty of times at my AFK store. Which reminds me, I think it is bogus when a store owner buys up all reasonably priced crafts from one store and re-prices them for their own profit, but that's a whold new topic!

[/ QUOTE ]

G

I never said I didn't shop at the afk stores. I just said I never ran an afk store nor could I ever bring myself to run one that way and I said I don't like afk stores. And if I sold your items for a profit, it was your fault for being afk to let me get away with it. The alt-tab thing is different. I believe tkspeedy is talking about the ones who are afk for hours on end. You say you are afk, but essentially, if someone waited long enough, you would respond. I believe the afkers we speak of here are the ones who are there all day and night, but aren't actually sitting at the computer.

Not to mention, not sure why you are talking about me. And I'm not a store owner nor have I played outside of tc3 for over 5 months. And in TC3, i have a residential lot. Maybe you should get your facts straight before you accuse someone of something.

G

<blockquote><hr>

I think it is bogus when a store owner buys up all reasonably priced crafts from one store and re-prices them for their own profit,

[/ QUOTE ]

I do this in WoW all the time. If I see something marked way too cheap, I buy it bulk it and re-sell it.
I enjoy it

I think its silly for someone who above stated that they play their game for themselves and nobody else to comment on how others play their game to point out this sort of action.

Makes you look hypocritical.

Also, I'm sure we've all done things we didn't necessarily like doing b/c it was the flow of the game. It is what it is. This thread isn't really about bashing somebody's gameplay... and more about what can fix a category that has been a problem category since it's opened.

I see Dutch and Dali had some awesome suggestions. Do you have anything you feel you could add?

I

imported_Shirl1211

Well I think we are all in agreement on one thing. We each have our own way of playing the game to make us happy. I have mine, and you have yours. I haven't played TC3 yet so I can't comment on how things will be when the merge is finalized, but, I will try to continue to provide quality crafts for customers at prices sims can afford. AFK or not, I provide a good service and I will continue to do so.
Enough said on my part.

G

I agree Jackiee, in Dofus, I spend most of my time looking at other players merchandise and buying up underpriced items to resell.....it is a fun game to play!

Maybe part of the problem is that too few player get to play, because of the investment of time and money?

If we had commissioned sellrooms, where any player could put up their spare items or custom content for sale, then more people would play the 'merchant' game? (see MOMI Lots/Mall design, on our Wiki for more ideas on how to make selling accessable)

On another note, I know I don't do a lot of chatting as a customer, because I am busy searching among the merchandise, evaluating cost versus benefit, size, color, usefulness. This is very distracting. And when I was a store keeper (in a much better time) I was too busy filling orders and answering questions in IM to keep up with room chat.....yes, at one time a store did have lively room chat....
So those are factors that work against having a lively, chatty, fun, interactive store.

At one time, between the time trade feature arrived and before store feature did, stores sales were all done thru trade interactions. It was interactive. It was absorbing, because you and the customer, were personally involved in every sale. It was personal. Since prices could not be set, there was also a lot of conversation about the condition, quality and price....there was dickering.
A much more interactive way to run a store...not at all condusive to being AFK....but exhausting, too. When you made money that way, you really felt like you had earned every penny of it!