• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Can anything be done about AFK store owners/roomies?

G

Everyone is griping about afk store owners and not using those stores etc, but seriously how much help do you REALLY need at a store? Its a fairly simple action for you to enter a store, see what you want and buy it. If its not there then OBVIOUSLY they don't have it and would need to get it so why not just visit another store that may have it., I've played TSO for over 5 years now and honestly I PREFER the owners to be afk. I now what i want i don't need any salesperson asking if i need help or give me serenades which irks the hell out of me. Let me shop in peace lol..

G

Commissioned sell rooms are a good idea gilly!

And Fester, I get what you mean. I'm like that in RL too though... I like to shop in peace. It's a zen experience for me.

I

imported_DutchAmerica

Way back when....when I lived in a store, I got this idea that a really nice store where you created little room settings complete with wallpaper, etc. Each item in the room would be tagged for sale.

Shoppers could look around and hopefully would say..."gee, that's a great idea" and hopefully purchase the items to recreate the room themselves.

That worked somewhat but item count got in the way.

It would be so grand to condense the regular inventory down so that players that wanted to create nicer more interesting stores could.

I love shopping in clothing stores that are nicely designed unlike the people that plunk down a renyu rack next to the port-o-potties.

In fact, that might be an interesting contest for EA to host. Once a month, they could choose a store that has unique qualities that make it fun and stand out. Then the owner could have his store highlighted at blueprints or something?

G

*TTL*

Well, partly because I'm a developer stalker, and partly because I think you should know... MaxisLee was in the store I roomie in today for a while... it's on the Top 10 on TC3... didn't really say much, apart from, he is looking at store and will be back.

So atleast, they are looking in to it : )

I

imported_Dali Dalinza

<blockquote><hr>

*TTL*

Well, partly because I'm a developer stalker, and partly because I think you should know... MaxisLee was in the store I roomie in today for a while... it's on the Top 10 on TC3... didn't really say much, apart from, he is looking at store and will be back.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's an idea to boost store visits: celebrity guests.

With custom content, maybe could even have autograph parties.

G

I must say, I wanted him to buy something of mine... I'd screenshot that email I would get and sell it for millions!... maybe.

D

donnallg

<blockquote><hr>

no, not period.

you don't like it, don't do it. but quit judging people who provide a much needed and greatly appreciated service and keep their stores open so we can purchase what we need when we need it.

the devs have given afk store owners their blessings in tc3 and if you don't believe me, too bad. but feel free to drop lee a line.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a problem with what you just said. When a store owner is AFK, half the time there isn't always what you need when you need it. So you ask if they can get it and you wait. You've wasted valuable playing time standing around and waiting.

IMO I don't think store owners should be able to afk.
Heck for that matter why doesn't EA just make the stores. And stock up after each sell...lol

M

mariotso

<blockquote><hr>

...half the time there isn't always what you need when you need it...

[/ QUOTE ]

for me it's worth it for them to be afk for the other half of the time then. at the very least, it does no harm.

C

caroleatdesigns

I have a store in TC3. I'm always there and treat it like any other house. I offer to cook, play a game of pool, whatever. I enjoy meeting my shoppers.

I will say this about the AFK owners. I found that if I IM an owner/roomie with a question before I go to the store, and don't get an answer, I go elsewhere. I found a great, helpful roomie today. <font color="blue"> Flynn at Valuable Savings </font>is great. She answered when she got back from r/l dinner. She even went so far as to <font color="red"> offer to deliver product to my house, if I had guests.</font> Other roomies arrived while I was at the store. They, too, were very friendly.
These are the type of Sims I want to do business with! They are friendly, helpful, courteous and considerate. This may be a good way to get AFK owners to be home or available through IM. Like the other properties, good hosts get return visitors. Just as in r/l, if the storekeeper doesn't offer to help, eventually the store goes out of business for lack of shoppers.

HTH,

Brianna Nicole

I

imported_Dali Dalinza

<blockquote><hr>

I have a store in TC3. I'm always there and treat it like any other house. I offer to cook, play a game of pool, whatever. I enjoy meeting my shoppers.

I will say this about the AFK owners. I found that if I IM an owner/roomie with a question before I go to the store, and don't get an answer, I go elsewhere. I found a great, helpful roomie today. <font color="blue"> Flynn at Valuable Savings </font>is great. She answered when she got back from r/l dinner. She even went so far as to <font color="red"> offer to deliver product to my house, if I had guests.</font> Other roomies arrived while I was at the store. They, too, were very friendly.
These are the type of Sims I want to do business with! They are friendly, helpful, courteous and considerate. This may be a good way to get AFK owners to be home or available through IM. Like the other properties, good hosts get return visitors. Just as in r/l, if the storekeeper doesn't offer to help, eventually the store goes out of business for lack of shoppers.

HTH,

Brianna Nicole

[/ QUOTE ]

You know, I enjoyed reading this post. Memories of enjoyable encounters at stores and other places I visited for the first time came back to memory. It brought home the fact that this is a GAME, not an earth shaking necessity, not a job. So many treat running a store or keeping a house open as if it was an enterprise necessary for real life to move forward. If it gets to be that competitive, where you have to contrive how to keep a virtual property open when you are not really playing in the game, it sure seems like a pastime with all the enjoyment and "play" sucked dry.

K

Keep It Real

*TTL*

Lee was spotted in the "Community Store" ( empty lot from what I could see) in TC3 this evening, so it looks like there may be some changes ahead. COOL!

I

imported_Phoenix_Rising

Never stop lurking, KIR. We love you for it. No, really.

I

imported_Phoenix_Rising

Awh, see, now that's when it starts to get fun.

I

imported_DutchAmerica

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

*TTL*

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wish we had automatic 'sell back' rights before leaving stores.

I was at a store last night that had a visit early by MaxisLee and the only thing they could do is complain. Complain nonstop. Nasty, snide bashing. Then the roomie tried drawing her guests in on her complaining.

I wish now I hadn't bought that tree from them afterall. Too bad we can't have a 'take back' policy. If we haven't left a lot, we can sell back automatically for the same price we bought it for.

As far as I'm concerned, I think that MaxisLee is showing in actions that he's interested and working on helping to solve problems. If certain players don't appreciate that that's their option.

But don't expect your customers to join your bash wagon.

So in this case, I really wish 'some' storeowners actually WERE afk if they just want to spread their venom.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

*TTL*

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wish we had automatic 'sell back' rights before leaving stores.

I was at a store last night that had a visit early by MaxisLee and the only thing they could do is complain. Complain nonstop. Nasty, snide bashing. Then the roomie tried drawing her guests in on her complaining.

I wish now I hadn't bought that tree from them afterall. Too bad we can't have a 'take back' policy. If we haven't left a lot, we can sell back automatically for the same price we bought it for.

As far as I'm concerned, I think that MaxisLee is showing in actions that he's interested and working on helping to solve problems. If certain players don't appreciate that that's their option.

But don't expect your customers to join your bash wagon.

So in this case, I really wish 'some' storeowners actually WERE afk if they just want to spread their venom.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've seen this happen too Dutch. People really need to lighten up. I think its great that we have a team that is actually interested in fixing our game rather than just coming to work to do their job. The more EA gets involved (like people have begged for for years) the more people revert to behaving as cranky children.
On some levels I find it amusing, on others very embarrassing.

A sell back option would be cool. I'm really interested in seeing what could develop for store lots.

I

imported_Phoenix_Rising

I agree. I would love to see shopping at stores become a more "personal" experience. There should be incentive (other than pricing) to go to one store rather than another.

In what ways do you all think this could happen - in what ways could store owners serve you?

I

imported_Gracie Nito

If I've learned one thing over the past 5 years it is that one store style does not fit all.

Some players want personal service.
Some players want the best price in town.
Some players want conversation.
Some players want to just grab and go.
Some players want it NOW regardless of cost.

Some store owners want to help serve the community's needs.
Some store owners want to provide a specific set of products.
Some store owners want to offer the lowest prices.
Some store owners want the best profit margin.
Some store owners have no clue what they are doing yet.
Some store owners are very knowledgeable.

When it all comes down to it. Each player decides when they want to shop, where they want to shop, and how they want to shop. If you prefer the warehouse afk shopping then support those stores with your business. If you prefer the service oriented stores then support those stores with your business. As long as any store can sell merchandise using their play style, they will remain open. Once the customers are gone, so will be the store.

M

mariotso

for me, it's pretty much like real life: price, variety and leave me in peace!

G

<blockquote><hr>

I agree. I would love to see shopping at stores become a more "personal" experience. There should be incentive (other than pricing) to go to one store rather than another.

In what ways do you all think this could happen - in what ways could store owners serve you?

[/ QUOTE ]
This is probably just me, but the best way they can serve me is to leave me alone. I'm there to shop for, and hopefully, buy something - not to have a conversation with the owner. The more questions they ask, the more distracted I become from my purpose, and the more time is wasted. They should say "Hi" then go about their business and let me do the same. If I have a question, I will ask.
I hate that in RL (Best Buy drives me nuts) and it's the same IG.
Sorry.

I

imported_Phoenix_Rising

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]
This is probably just me, but the best way they can serve me is to leave me alone. I'm there to shop for, and hopefully, buy something - not to have a conversation with the owner. The more questions they ask, the more distracted I become from my purpose, and the more time is wasted. They should say "Hi" then go about their business and let me do the same. If I have a question, I will ask.
Sorry.

[/ QUOTE ]

No need to be sorry. I enjoy all playing styles, and I can genuinely say that. I'm very guilty of wanting my objects quickly, and without conversation when I am re-doing my house. When I had money, I wouldn't even bother with the stores, because I'd have to go hunt for different objects here and there, and it became a pain. When I'm running a shop, however, I like to assist my customers to the best of my ability; I don't like being overbearing, though.

I know what you mean about those stores - Art Van is notorious for commissioners attacking you from all angles.

I

imported_Gracie Nito

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]
Sorry.

[/ QUOTE ]

Look at it from my side too. If I just say Hi, some people think I'm rude for not asking to help them. If I don't say anything, some people think I'm afk and just leave without saying a word. Now you are saying if I dare to carry a conversation with anyone they will leave too. My fave is the customer that stands out front for 10 minutes and then yells at me because I didnt greet them and leaves.

LOL. Like I said before. Find the place you want to shop that fits your needs. Don't support the places that drive you nuts.

And now that I know what kind of shopper you are...I have a hard decision to make. Let you shop in peace or drive you nuts. hmmmm

G

I guess the big thing is that you don't want store owners to be afk, you want them to be there, just not be socialable with you. I can understand that. A simple "Hi" or "Hello" would go along way especially if they left it at that. That way, if someone did need help, they know someone is there to help them. If they didn't need help, they weren't distracted but knew later if they needed something where to go and ask to get it quickly.

After reading Gracie's post, maybe they should say, "Hello, if you need anything, just ask!" and leave it at that. Maybe?? I'm sure that would make the people who want service and the people who want afk stores very happy.

I

imported_Gracie Nito

<blockquote><hr>

I guess the big thing is that you don't want store owners to be afk, you want them to be there, just not be socialable with you. I can understand that. A simple "Hi" or "Hello" would go along way especially if they left it at that. That way, if someone did need help, they know someone is there to help them. If they didn't need help, they weren't distracted but knew later if they needed something where to go and ask to get it quickly.

After reading Gracie's post, maybe they should say, "Hello, if you need anything, just ask!" and leave it at that. Maybe?? I'm sure that would make the people who want service and the people who want afk stores very happy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah. That's pretty much what I do. Greet them then tell them to holler if they need help. Although with lag these days, it's hard to know when to greet anyone if they don't say hello when they land.

I

imported_Phoenix_Rising

That's when you get right up on that curb with 'em, and get freaky. You'll know if they're AFK or not.

I

imported_Gracie Nito

Hahahaha. Phoenix. I bet that really would drive Donavan nuts! Thanks for the great idea!

I

imported_DutchAmerica

<blockquote><hr>

That's when you get right up on that curb with 'em, and get freaky. You'll know if they're AFK or not.

[/ QUOTE ]

OMG LMAO!!!

G

<blockquote><hr>

Now you are saying if I dare to carry a conversation with anyone they will leave too.

[/ QUOTE ]
Hey, c'mon - I didn't say any such thing, just pointing out that not everyone likes to be fawned over.
A simple "Let me know if you need anything." is fine.

P

PB Three

I second you, Caroleatdesigns. Flynn greeted me when I arrived and once I sold my campfire to the owner, she (and the owner, who was AFK when I arrived) said goodbye. It was a good experience.

When I'm playing my sim that lives at a store (which is also suitable for just hanging out and chatting), I simply say "Hello, welcome" or "Welcome [insert name]" and usually leave it at that to avoid over-doing it.
I'm NEVER afk unless I have to be, but the fact that I have ADHD means that I can't stay online for very long without people to chat to, or I have to go to where there are people to chat to.
I'm not even AFK when skilling, but it gets horrificly boring very fast so I generally switch between skilling and other things. (Again, unless there are people to chat to.)

btw, I only have one account so I can only play one-at-a-time. (But I'll admit I do at times spend time at the store with another sim when the owner/another roommie is there as well) It's generally because I have nothing much else to do.

PB Three

I

imported_Shirl1211

Unfortunately my store wouldn't be successful if I sat there waiting for customers. As I stated before, I do all my crafting and that is the main items that I sell. My prices are very reasonable to compensate and I usually sell out of almost everything. If my being AFK in order to provide these hand crafted items is a bother to you then feel free to shop elsewhere.

G

Maybe you should charge higher prices so people don't buy it up so fast and go and resell it all for a profit. And you could craft your rear end off for a couple of days, then sell out in a day or two and do it over again. I don't see how you couldn't be successful if you weren't afk.

I

imported_Gracie Nito

<blockquote><hr>

Unfortunately my store wouldn't be successful if I sat there waiting for customers. As I stated before, I do all my crafting and that is the main items that I sell. My prices are very reasonable to compensate and I usually sell out of almost everything. If my being AFK in order to provide these hand crafted items is a bother to you then feel free to shop elsewhere.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's right! It's your business and you run it the way that makes you happy. This is your game and you can play anyway you want.

I've always hated crafting and rarely sell any in my store. I'm like PB. I have to keep busy meeting and talking to people. I can't keep my store open for hours on end with nobody to talk to. However, most of my customers know how to find me and I'm often IMed to open up for them. I'm a service oriented store owner and enjoy it.

I

imported_Shirl1211

Like the majority of people here have stated, we all have OUR game and we should play it how we want. I happen to enjoy crafting but my inventory will only allow me to hold a limited amount of items so I built a store. I sell my crafts cheap and have no desire to raise the prices. Being AFK hasn't seemed to slow down my business and I don't think it makes a whole heck of alot of difference if your AFK at a store category anyway. If you don't like them, there's a very simple solution...GO SOMEWHERE ELSE TO SHOP. I do however feel that putting a bunch of AFK sims on a property in order to obtain a #1 spot is BS and I stay away from those places. I also think that store owners who leave their properties but make theirselves available to the customer should be commended. That is true commitment.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Like the majority of people here have stated, we all have OUR game and we should play it how we want. I happen to enjoy crafting but my inventory will only allow me to hold a limited amount of items so I built a store. I sell my crafts cheap and have no desire to lower the prices. Being AFK hasn't seemed to slow down my business and I don't think it makes a whole heck of alot of difference if your AFK at a store category anyway. If you don't like them, there's a very simple solution...GO SOMEWHERE ELSE TO SHOP. I do however feel that putting a bunch of AFK sims on a property in order to obtain a #1 spot is BS and I stay away from those places. I also think that store owners who leave their properties but make theirselves available to the customer should be commended. That is true commitment.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. An afk roomate at a store doesn't bother me nearly as much as landing to find 10 extra non roomies all hiding just to gain hours. I really really wish they would do away with the "top 100" list. Make it list like a phone book, let those who want to be listed first name them aaaaaaaa if necessary but who cares. The way the list works, it makes it impossible for anyone who doesn't have multiple accounts to, in my opinion, cheat with, to make it into the top 10. I just don't think it's right. And in all honesty, I can not for the life of me understand why they think that buying their way to the top is an accomplishment.

G

I was just making a suggestion based on what you said. Which to me means, whether you do it the afk way, or the way that I stated, I think you as a person would be successful just the same. I was in no way trying to tell you how to play the game, just simply offering a suggestion. I think that by saying being afk is the only way you could be successful is putting yourself down. Thats all.

C

calvinscreeksim

<center> And in all honesty, I can not for the life of me understand why they think that buying their way to the top is an accomplishment. </center>

I wish I took more psychology and sociology courses to understand peoples behavior....I'm sure others have taken a few so maybe they could put forth their knowledge. I know I would be greatly intrigued.

My understanding is sort of all over the place with a mish mash of random opinions that others may not share and thats fine.

Anyhow, my take it that some peoples ego payments are high so they think that being #1 will make them all the more respected and ideal to keep around the community. I order to obtain this popularity hey have to be lazy, bot, cheat, and hoard trials or accounts to park them on the property in a coded room while they are out shopping or taking a nap in rl. Don't forget about the ones that like to be fake by putting on the image that their [censored] dont stink by running 5 stores all afk all day, while proclaiming that being #1 means nothing to them lol.

I

imported_Shirl1211

I guess we have a misunderstanding. My point in all this is, I like to craft and that's where my passion in this game lies. There are many reasons for being AFK. Mine being the fact that I run multiple sims but focusing on AFK players doing so in order to put their properties in the top 10 is just wrong. They aren't providing a service to anyone. I personally don't care whether my store is or will ever be popular or if I get rich off of it. It just makes it more convient for me to do want I enjoy the most ingame.

O

ozzynowgone

there has always been afk stores when i played i was one store that wasnt afk to keep open i was there doing stuff and greeting and talking to ppl however that said that was my choice other ppl make their choices how they wish to play i myself never understood playing a social game and not being social but that was me they have the right to do as they wish without judgment or complaints from ppl that dont know them or their motives

K

Keep It Real

*TTL*

If you feel you have got to be greeted when you enter a store, try WalMart, there is always some sweet lil old person there to say Howdy.

M

Meggers

Since we no longer have the option of buying from the catalog, I really think EA needs to start taking tough action against the stores that load up their sims and go afk. We are at the mercy of stores now to buy stuff, so ya'll please do something about this.

G

OK so no stores are allowed to stay open AFK. Thats it EA decides to take "tough action". Now its 3am and I'm building a house, no stores are open. Lovely, I cant build because I cant go shopping.

I couldnt care less if store owners are AFK, I say make it a perfectly legal form of gameplay. I need what I need when I need it. I never shopped at stores in production cities, too much hassle for me to travel around to save a few bucks. Now that I'm forced to shop I just want the store open and I want more stores open so I can find what I need. Trust me, when I'm given the option to own multiple lots one of them will be a private store so I dont have to be bothered to go shopping again.

M

Meggers

Trust me, when I'm given the option to own multiple lots one of them will be a private store so I dont have to be bothered to go shopping again.
--------------------------------

Not a bad idea. I have a spare account, think I will mkae that one a private store. It's hard for me to find the junk I want, lol

G

I don't know what the answer is, but it drives me nuts that none of the stores carries what I am looking for, cus it's not a high profit item - and I can't ask the owner for special order cuz they are afk.
But if I want a picsicle of somebody's goofy dog - there are dozens to choose from.

A

angielynne

<blockquote><hr>

When it all comes down to it. Each player decides when they want to shop, where they want to shop, and how they want to shop. If you prefer the warehouse afk shopping then support those stores with your business. If you prefer the service oriented stores then support those stores with your business. As long as any store can sell merchandise using their play style, they will remain open. Once the customers are gone, so will be the store.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. I have a store in TC3, I admit I get a little irked when it comes to people having all of the sims afk in their lots to get them up the list but I can also appreciate that they have their stores open almost all the time. When I have my store open I am there and I will greet people and get them items that I don't have stocked BUT I since I am a real simmer and not an afk-er I have other things that I want/need to do like skilling,etc.-- so I cannot be open all the time. So each style of store has its place.

I

imported_Gracie Nito

Hey Donvan,

Just drop me an email if you can't find me. I have a mail order business on the side.

M

Meggers

I don't know what the answer is, but it drives me nuts that none of the stores carries what I am looking for, cus it's not a high profit item - and I can't ask the owner for special order cuz they are afk.
But if I want a picsicle of somebody's goofy dog - there are dozens to choose from.
------------------------------------------

I went to a store that was nothing but a sea of picsicles. My puter damn near had a heart attack.

I

imported_Gracie Nito

LOL. I think I dropped in there yesterday too Meggers. I didn't think my feet would ever hit the ground.