• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

brit sewers

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
...and who ever thought the idea of another grind where the rewards are based on competition with obsessives and scripters really needs taking into the quarantine zone and be given a beating with the gargoyle sick-stick... and every time they try and move away and escape, someone shouts "It is unsafe to leave your desk whilst these bugs are still bubbling!" and then gives them a puke causing pummelling again.

Just one word : scripters, Scripters, SCRIPTERS.

I fail to understand how such a competition can ever be thought as fair in a game like UO that has scripting so much that plagues it.

I am really but really surprised (and upset) that it has been thought out like this as if there was no scripting in the game.........

What can I then expect other than a sash (if at all), when I do not script but my tally will be compared to that of scripters for this stage of the Event ?

To my opinion, scripting has to go away from Ultima Online for good, and only after this has been achieved competitions can be designed like this one appears to have been.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
how is this going to be scripted please?
you can't script-grow vanilla
you can't really script getting sugar cane seeds
Scripting killing terathons, orcs and slimes isn't exactly straightforward
and I'm not sure how in heck anyone could script making the cures.

Have you actually tried making the cures?

Adol

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Scripting certain spawn is actually quite easy, you just need a greater dragon and an auto loot script; I'm thinking the spot in the middle of the Painted Caves where you can't move for being surrounded by Troggs in particular. Legally, and with no scripts I can often just park new GDs there to train them up, whilst I can invis under them and sit attended but reading a book whilst they learn. I also use the Sphinx in Lost Lands, where there isn't any aggressive spawn that can trouble me; and if I want to finish that funny paragraph I can look away, until I come back and All Kill on the peaceful Sphinx again. It wouldn't take much to take me out of that entirely and automate it. Pinco's UI already shows, quite legally, how you can filter corpse gumps and automatically take only specific items. The only reason you don't see people going the final steps and actually doing it scripted and unattended any more is because there isn't enough money in actual game loot as such, and the risks of being seen and reported if unattended don't make it worth it. Which is why those who do script have moved to vendor scripting for search sites to generate traffic for gold sales, and to scripting resources, as there's always money in that (even if only in from converting it via Museum etc hand ins into items people want; the opportunity cost is irrelevant when you can leave characters strip mining automatically every hour of the day).

None of which changes my MAIN point about this quest though. You're still competing against obsessives and people with tonnes of free time for this quest even if it can't be, or people won't bother finding ways to script it. And your reward is based upon my doing more or less cures than I think you've done, or are likely to do. And that is, by it's very nature, BAD DESIGN. If you ever played World Of Warcraft under the old PvP system which was similarly weighted against the performance curve of everyone else, you will know exactly why Blizzard eventually took it out... and indeed, were even seriously considering capping people's ability to throw their lives away in game in general. As I recall, to make it from Rank 11 to the final Rank 14, I calculated I needed to move up to do a further 3 weeks of 16 hours EVERY SINGLE DAY on Khadgar due to the level of obsession (and character sharing shifts) others were putting in... needless to say, that's where I gave up.

Of course, here in Ultima Online, they are perhaps assuming the rewards aren't so stunning, the overall population and interest much lower, so that hardly anyone will bother after the first week so everyone can get a shot at the small number of items? That the mechanism that makes it work is that it's not all that inspiring? Oh dear. But even that's still leaving hostages to fortune though, because what if suddenly someone discovers an exploit or imbalance with one of the items, like the Berserkers Suit revealed in PvP? Suddenly that quest will be extremely popular indeed. What if griefing players due to the movement bug there catches on? Now your ability to get those items relies upon being able to avoid the negative attention of others more than other people were able to avoid being griefed. We're back to Ultima in 1997 then? What it someone is just trying to corner the market? Now that's the person, and their hand ins, that you need to beat. What if...?

I'm sorry, but I don't have the time or interest to fight "What Ifs". The Nexus puzzles you could do at your own pace, for a guaranteed rewards; hurrah, two steps forward! This one... a logic puzzle, ok reasonable new content; but making it competitive? VERY BAD IDEA INDEED. And making it more rewarding would, by it's very design, make it oh so much worse.

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
how is this going to be scripted please?
you can't script-grow vanilla
you can't really script getting sugar cane seeds
Scripting killing terathons, orcs and slimes isn't exactly straightforward
and I'm not sure how in heck anyone could script making the cures.

Have you actually tried making the cures?
I haven't put much thought into it, but other than the Cures- all of that can be scripted.

Promathia

Social Distancing Since '97
Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The main part that is irritating, is that people found out what you needed BEFORE this ever went live, and have loaded up tons of what is needed. If you were a normal player, just finding out about all of this, you are already going to be a week behind needing to grow the sugar/vanilla.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I haven't put much thought into it, but other than the Cures- all of that can be scripted.
I have always held the mentality that if a human can sit and clickity click their way through something, someone somewhere can write a program that will allow a computer to do it as well. While coding a script to make the cures would take a LONG time, it could theoretically be done. It was not TOO many years ago folks said nobody could write a script to place houses at IDOC's too, yet they figured out a way to do that. I always try to never understimate a crook, a thief nor a cheater *shrugs*

startle

Siege... Where the fun begins.
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The main part that is irritating, is that people found out what you needed BEFORE this ever went live, and have loaded up tons of what is needed. If you were a normal player, just finding out about all of this, you are already going to be a week behind needing to grow the sugar/vanilla.
Is this true? ^^^^

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Is this true? ^^^^

Nah VERY untrue. Not a week behind, more like a month behind. Folks have been growing it and collecting it for a month that I know of. Other than that, what he says is 100% correct.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There were clues - why tell us a month in advance that the quest would be live in July if not to allow us to prepare for it?
Why suddenly put vanilla seeds on minions, unless there was going to be a use for them?
why would terathans and orcs get new items in their inventory?

Assia Penryn

The Sleeping Dragon
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Would someone post or link a picture of the cure with their name on it?

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Finally. First one made :D

It helped to find out it lets you know how many of the reagents are correct in the lower left corner. I kept looking up at the flask trying to find the info... no woner I was blistering the heck outta my face lol

Faeryl

2011 Winter Deco Contest 1st Place
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Finally. First one made :D

It helped to find out it lets you know how many of the reagents are correct in the lower left corner. I kept looking up at the flask trying to find the info... no woner I was blistering the heck outta my face lol
Oh silly Kylie :p

Promathia

Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
There were clues - why tell us a month in advance that the quest would be live in July if not to allow us to prepare for it?
Why suddenly put vanilla seeds on minions, unless there was going to be a use for them?
why would terathans and orcs get new items in their inventory?
lolwut? Maybe I can see the point with the new items showing up on the MOBs, but the vanilla? Vanilla needed to ALWAYS be able to be gotten, and it was finally put in game, just like Sugar was.

What was the clue to start farming Sugar?

The stuff off the MOBs isn't the hard part, its the WEEKS you have to spend growing plants for Vanilla and Sugar. Something only people who read stratics (and I mean specifically read the spoiler thread from the cliloc) would have known to do.

christy1221

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Since I just started back recently I'm behind on the ingredients. I'm still going to give it a shot in hopes I at least get the sash.

Luvmylace

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
how many people are not participating because of the way the reward is being handled.

Faeryl

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
how many people are not participating because of the way the reward is being handled.
I'm doing solely because I find the puzzles enjoyable. If I get a reward, cool. If not, no big deal.

Promathia

Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'm doing solely because I find the puzzles enjoyable. If I get a reward, cool. If not, no big deal.
I'm only doing it in hopes of making it so Faeryl doesn't get a reward

lolol jk jk

No but really *stabs*

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
If I were still playing all day every day like I was when I could not work due to health issues I would be going full bore on it like ALOT of others are. Being back to a 3-4 hour (at best) a day player again I will get just one per char to have a named item for each is all.

Faeryl

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Helped kill Exodus....

I mean, down with Exodus! Wootttt its deadddd yayyyyyy
I'm watching you! :eyes:
Keep it up. I'll have you thrown in jail when we free Danica!

Anywho, sorry to derail :p

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How many aren't participating because they don't know about it.

UO's notification is so bad, I must have told 20 people about it in the past 2 days who didn't know about it.

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Funny thing is we wont necessarily know how bad or good this reward system will be unless we start trying. It's only speculation at this point.
But I'm still going to participate because it's fun. I think I've played this game long enough to where I stopped caring about rewards, at this point I just want to have fun and focusing only on getting a reward just seems pointless to me, no fun. And no, I'm not rich, by comparison I'm actually quite broke in this game lol.

Z

Zyon Rockler

It is a good thing not to care sometimes.. I think they should leave things more open ended. They need to add ways to get the stuff . Like small games not just growing plants. It has to be fair or balanced. I would grow the plants in fields on farms and let ppl farm them hopping to get what they need. That should even it out with plant growers.

Redxpanda

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I get tired of having to stop/start for resources so i will gather for a few days and then really give it a go once i have a nice stockpile. Kinds sucks that some of the stuff doesn't stack

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Looks like someone gave up on trying to come up with cures.
I'm not so sure that's why they're laying there. I'm pretty sure this is also the shard where a group of players dropped in Haven a number of Samples of Purified Blood back in March. I remember seeing about 8 players all lined up in a row with the samples on the ground in front of them. Pretty impressive.

R

Rhaven Nightwisp

Well, I'm going to give this a try, hopefully, but I'm not holding my breath for a reward as I can't sit at the computer all day (Primary Caregiver for Mom). But I'm having trouble finding the Vanilla - it says Exodus Dungeon and I'm been in there for three days (not 72 hours, lol), killed everything in my path but no seeds. Suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any help :D

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, I'm going to give this a try, hopefully, but I'm not holding my breath for a reward as I can't sit at the computer all day (Primary Caregiver for Mom). But I'm having trouble finding the Vanilla - it says Exodus Dungeon and I'm been in there for three days (not 72 hours, lol), killed everything in my path but no seeds. Suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any help :D
You have to kill the Exodus Minions and Exodus Overseers. I had a heck of a time getting seeds there too both on Test and on Origin, but finally did get two seeds on Origin. If that's where you play and you need some, send me a PM. I raised a few more plants from those two and can give you a couple seeds. Also, just in case you didn't already know this, the seeds will be in the corpse loot, they don't drop in your backpack.

Ludes

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If your on Cats I have Vanilla for ya.. I kinda got into collecting the ingredients and haven't even tried the quest yet..
Got sugar as well... I can kill Plague Beasts now that I learned a little Imbuing.. (Thanks Teen)

R

Rhaven Nightwisp

Thank you all for your help...sadly, I'm on Lake Austin so I'll have to go this alone. But at least I know I'm going after the right mobs :D

Have a good day :D

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
None of which changes my MAIN point about this quest though. You're still competing against obsessives and people with tonnes of free time
I am none of those people complaining all the time about how unfair life is. And I participated in almost EVERY SINGLE event/quest in the last months. I sifted sand, I fought Exodus - I was one of those people that said: "Wow, this Awakening-thing is great! Thank you." And I loved the Covetous-Revamp - so I didn´t criticize anything. But I must say: It is much truth in the quote above.

I know that one thing will always be the same: If you are working from 08 a.m. to 18 p.m. and if you are part of a family with little kids (and so on) you will never get as much scrolls, arties, rewards as people that have TONS of time. I am not complaining about this point - it is a simple fact. And it´s no problem for me - IN PRINCIPLE.

But Devs should avoid to create ADDITIONAL content that triggers this aspect. I don´t see why it is necessary to make a puzzle so complex that a person with my intelligence quotient reads the repors (e.g. from Frarc) and thinks: "Oh my god - thanks, folks. But not for me". And I don´t see why it is necessary to discourage people that are thinking about participating and feel like: "Phew, it´s a competition - you can brew these potions, which seems to be much work, and in the end you get nothing for it."

I know the argument that people just participate in the puzzle because it is fun to do it. For me, this quest wouldn´t be fun - it´s not my type of entertainment. That is no problem - not EVERY aspect has to be loved by EVERY single player. But making a quest like this competitive changes everything: The quest first was a "Maybe"-Quest for me - and has become a "Never"-Quest. Simply because I will never be able to reach the tiers that will be reached by people with TONS of time...

Nevertheless, the Awakening was nice! Hopefully, it will bring some additional content that fits the needs of those "I have about 1 hour each day for playing"-people :)

Spellbound

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Is there a way to remove just one ingredient without starting over? I had 3 right initially, added one more to two types and the next attempt showed only 2 right, so i need to remove from the correct one.

Frarc

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Is there a way to remove just one ingredient without starting over? I had 3 right initially, added one more to two types and the next attempt showed only 2 right, so i need to remove from the correct one.

Nope, you need to take them all out.