• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

brit sewers

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
heheh sounds as if it's a miracle I've managed to get 12. GM alchemy does seem to affect the number of attempts, looking at my notes at least two potions I got right on the 6th attempt.
Martyna, I think the mistake you made is in assuming that the 3 you had right were the same three.
I start each run with adding one of each and make a note of how many are right
Then I add 2 of each making a note again. - I then know how many 1s, 2s or 3s are required.
Here's one I got right:
11111 = 2
22222 = 0
11333 = 3
13331 = 1
31313 = 5

Cerwin Vega

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I hope we dont need more than 50 of these things to get the reward... whatever that reward might be.

Martyna Zmuir

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
After I got two of the things I gave up. Being tired and having imbibed a few adult beverages didn't mix well with poorly designed puzzles :p

I hope we dont need more than 50 of these things to get the reward... whatever that reward might be.
Sadly, this is a competition. You have to turn in as many as possible to even have a shot at the top two tiers of rewards. Most people will be lucky if they get anything because curves SUCK.

Bazer

Slightly Crazed
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ty Frac, that was a good and very helpful read.

christy1221

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
heheh sounds as if it's a miracle I've managed to get 12. GM alchemy does seem to affect the number of attempts, looking at my notes at least two potions I got right on the 6th attempt.
Martyna, I think the mistake you made is in assuming that the 3 you had right were the same three.
I start each run with adding one of each and make a note of how many are right
Then I add 2 of each making a note again. - I then know how many 1s, 2s or 3s are required.
Here's one I got right:
11111 = 2
22222 = 0
11333 = 3
13331 = 1
31313 = 5
I write mine down too. You may be right alchemy giving more attmpts. I add one of each first check it then I add just one of another ingredient check it see if I have more right or less right if less right then I know the one I just added only needs one. Then add another check it then another if needed of course lol. I may be doing it the hard way I'm not good at this stuff. I've got 20 potions so far. I'm having more trouble getting the slimes then the potions LOL

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I believe there's a formula for trying to work out these kinds of puzzles. I just wish I knew what it was! I think your method probably works better than what I've been doing.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I believe there's a formula for trying to work out these kinds of puzzles. I just wish I knew what it was! I think your method probably works better than what I've been doing.
These puzzles seem somewhat similar to the Mastermind board game. I think there might be a variation called Bulls and Cows that uses numbers, but I'm not 100% sure about that.

I haven't read this paper yet that is supposed to describe strategies for playing Bulls and Cows, so it might not be any good, but maybe it'll help some: http://www.jfwaf.com/Bulls%20and%20Cows.pdf .

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think in Bulls and Cows the response you get is supposed to tell you # correct and # in the right positions. This event, though, I think is only telling you # correct, isn't it?

Odin of Europa

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Got a few more cures, but I got the 'It is unsafe to leave an experiment unattended. As a matter of courtesy you discard the contents of the flask and secure the apparatus.' message again, twice.

Both times I didn't move. The first time it happened I saw an infected gargoyle move near the west wall of the lab I was in, but it was outside - I had just completed a puzzle and got the cure so I didn't lose any ingreds.
The second time, an infected gargoyle came into the lab I was in just as I had figured out the right combination, but I hadn't had time to click the heating stand to get the cure, so I lost all the ingreds :(

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think the best we can do is empty the flask if there's anyone nearby, char or npc, and just wait till they move off before we continue.

Myphsar

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It would be great if the devs can put in like a scoreboard or something (like voidpool scores) so people know what the scores are.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think I got the hang of it now. Christy's method works very well. 30 cures handed in, but I gotta grow more sugar.

Tjalle

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
The devs should look over the "someone moves and stuff is lost" thingy. Too much griefing potential...

Faeryl

2011 Winter Deco Contest 1st Place
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The devs should look over the "someone moves and stuff is lost" thingy. Too much griefing potential...
Yes, I've had that happen several times. Someone else moves and I lose my ingredients. Not cool. Thankfully the last time I'd just pulled everything out to make a change!

Redxpanda

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I managed to crank out a few more today with no failures. I was able to reproduce the problem where ingredients are lost due to movement. The dang gargoyle spawned inside the lab so i put 1 of each in there and as soon as he started moving, ingredients were lost. Yes they do need to look into this. I stopped doing them for now because gargoyles kept spawning in the labs. Some of those ingredients are too difficult to get and i can't afford to lose them to bugs

christy1221

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I managed to crank out a few more today with no failures. I was able to reproduce the problem where ingredients are lost due to movement. The dang gargoyle spawned inside the lab so i put 1 of each in there and as soon as he started moving, ingredients were lost. Yes they do need to look into this. I stopped doing them for now because gargoyles kept spawning in the labs. Some of those ingredients are too difficult to get and i can't afford to lose them to bugs
I'm not doing the potions for now just getting ingredients. I'm going to wait in hopes they fix it where you don't lose your ingredients because a gargoyle moves :(

Faeryl

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's not just the gargoyles though, it's other players as well.

S

Sevin0oo0

I'm out farming more yeast and cuticle sacs ;)
that the regular yeast from orcs? How many resources are people going thru doing these? What are they selling for? vendoring sounds a safer game for me.

Faeryl

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
that the regular yeast from orcs? How many resources are people going thru doing these? What are they selling for? vendoring sounds a safer game for me.
No, it's not the normal yeast. It's raw yeast.

With each cure taking between 1-3 of each ingredient, I go through them PDQ. I've had to stop to farm more several times already.

As for what they're selling for, I have nooooooo idea, I'm farming/growing all mine. It's cheaper. :)

Frarc

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Here is a picture how all ingredients look like, the raw yeast is very small. Its hard to see.

Frarc

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
For the people that see the message that you need to have 1 ingredient each when doing the experiment but do have them, just double click the flask again to fix that.

G

Gallica

I still cant find the healer on Oceania. Why is this shard always so far behind everyone else?

Redxpanda

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would say a good run through the orc fort can get you about 15-20 of em (yeast). Its the blightborn slime and vanilla that is difficult to farm since the vanilla seeds only come from inside exodus dungeon which is well guarded and only drop on some of the creatures inside. You are better off hunting paragons for those.

Martyna Zmuir

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you're on GL there is a vedor selling vanilla seeds in the house directly N/NW of the Yew gate. No sugar cane seeds though :(

I've put a bag out with a runebook and examples of the reagents in the Nameless Rune Library (directly south of the Yew gate) Just look for the fire orange bag.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
maybe we can make a list by shard of who has spare vanilla seeds they're willing to part with?
I have some on Europa if anyone needs them there.

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
After reading all the posts I got to the conclusion that THIS particular quest is far too complex for me. Sifting sand was more the stuff I can understand, hehehe. Have fun and luck! Pressing thumbs for your rewards!

Redxpanda

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
blooming heck! I was going to give them away! Even if I put them on a vendor I doubt I'd price them at more than 200gp each.
Pacific Luna sucks. Most of the vendors are not stocked and the ones that are stocked are usually overpriced. There is hardly anyone pricing anything reasonably. Does the Vanilla plant produce more seeds?

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
yes, that's why I'd give them away. I have 2 garden beds, so the most seeds I need are 18. I have over 60 and more to collect.

Redxpanda

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well then, i am glad i wont be making anymore trips to Exodus lol. I only managed to get 3 seeds but i have a GM cook so i already had sugar and vanilla in stock before they announced this event.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
maybe we can make a list by shard of who has spare vanilla seeds they're willing to part with?
I have some on Europa if anyone needs them there.
I've got a few extra vanilla seeds on Origin to give away. Not planning to do the quest.

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Well, my sole reason for playing UO is to have fun. Since this particular task does not qualify as fun for me, I'm bailing. :bored:

christy1221

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have a couple of chessy. Most of my plants are at stage seven so I don't have a lot yet.

Frarc

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Don't forget to grow Vanilla and Sugar with Fertile dirt, it speeds up the growing. :)

Zhuge

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
After reading all the posts I got to the conclusion that THIS particular quest is far too complex for me. Sifting sand was more the stuff I can understand, hehehe. Have fun and luck! Pressing thumbs for your rewards!

Lol I agree. :p

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Actually it's not too hard using Christie's formula, I've handed in 48 cures, but I gotta wait for the sugar to grow now.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sadly, this is a competition. You have to turn in as many as possible to even have a shot at the top two tiers of rewards. Most people will be lucky if they get anything because curves SUCK.

Serious ??
That's a "winner takes all" type of thing ?

All of the players who still invested tons of their time into this thing will remain empty handed ??

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Serious ??
That's a "winner takes all" type of thing ?

All of the players who still invested tons of their time into this thing will remain empty handed ??

Kinda seems that way. The following was in Pub 76 notes from May 1...

• The Awakening – Act VI Quest added
    • This quest will be active during Act VI of “The Awakening” beginning July of 2012 and will end August 12th, 2012. The NPC will tell you how much time is remaining each time you turn an item in on your specific shard.
    • During this Quest players will assist in concocting alchemical preparations. The alchemy skill is not required, but does provide a slight benefit.
    • The Alchemical Preparations are concocted by completing a puzzle that requires various combinations of specific ingredients.
    • The ingredients will always be the same, but the quantity required will change with each iteration of the puzzle.
    • Players will be able to complete the puzzle as many times as they wish, and are encouraged to try and procure as many preparations as possible.
    • The more preparations that are turned in, the higher the ranking when rewards are distributed.
    • There are four rewards available in both human gargoyle versions where applicable. The type of reward you receive is based on the race of the player who turns in the preparations.
      • Tier 1 – Sash recognizing your achievement
      • Tier 2 – Asclepius
        • When equipped during a complete healing cycle, the staff will provide a 20% bonus to damage healed using bandages.
      • Tier 3 – Hygieia’s Amulet
        • When equipped Hygieia’s Amulet gives a 15% bonus to Alchemy.
      • Tier 4 – Bracers of Alchemical Devastation
        • Occupy the Sleeve Armor slot
        • Hit Fireball 40% damage based on Wrestling or Anatomy & Evaluating Intelligence
        • Mana Regeneration 5
        • Faster Cast Recovery 3
        • Physical Resist 15%
        • Fire Resist 10%
        • Cold Resist 10%
        • Poison Resist 10%
        • Energy Resist 10%
    • It is possible to get all four rewards if you are among the top contributors during the event and any combination thereof (Tier 3, 2, and 1, or Tier 2 and 1, or Tier 1 only).
    • It is also possible to not receive anything if your contributions are not on par with the distribution of other contributors.
  • More details will be available from an NPC and through fiction posted on the Herald when this portion of “The Awakening” goes live.
Key part is in bold. Count me in the "not a fan of" group when it comes to that and the Brightborn Slime being moved to another location other than the Sewers, I spent hours on hours farming the stuff in that aggravating

Adol

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yup, I saw the patch notes a little while back and had already bowed out of this part; two steps forward with this Dev Team and one step back it seems, and who ever thought the idea of another grind where the rewards are based on competition with obsessives and scripters really needs taking into the quarantine zone and be given a beating with the gargoyle sick-stick... and every time they try and move away and escape, someone shouts "It is unsafe to leave your desk whilst these bugs are still bubbling!" and then gives them a puke causing pummelling again.

The only consolation I can think of, looking at those screenshots, is that the cure has your name on; so is that supposed to be the memento item from it if you choose not to turn one in? Outside of any further lore or game reason to get involved though, this like the grinding Juka/Meer reputation and the grinding of graverobbers, like the grinding of Scelestus previously, and is something I'm just not engaged with, limited time offer or not.

My main suspicion though now is that what we're seeing is actually a lot of very, very small mini-arcs combined into one, where all the various devs have suggested throw backs to Ultima Prime, whilst using them to open up new gaming mechanisms; We've segued from the rise of alternative societies (Ultima VII & Town Loyalty in UO) to the rise and very quick fall of Exodus (Ultima III, but I think it's an introduction of a new Champion system that rewards the +5 scrolls) and now focusing on solving the problems besetting the Gargoyles (Ultima VI and...? We shall see I guess). It will end, my belief is, with a new monarch crowned as the 15th anniversary.