• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

A greater discussion about over-powered archers

• Thread starter SUPRsalad
  • Start date
  • Watchers 2
Status
Not open for further replies.
W

Walkerboh77

keep fighting...mentioning those irrelevant things that has no bearing whatsoever on whether archers are OP'd or not...completely ignoring what DOES make an archer OP'd

u must sense danger!

V

Vaelix

Are you saying you can't kill people with what your Archer does have access to?
I play a

Necro Spellweave
Parry Mage
Parry Necro
Bushy Necro
Bushy Mage
Inscribe Necro Mage

And rarely play an Archer.. I have no problem with Archers in 1v1..

Yes they are annoying in a Group, but what isnt?

:heart:

V

Vaelix

keep fighting...mentioning those irrelevant things that has no bearing whatsoever on whether archers are OP'd or not...completely ignoring what DOES make an archer OP'd

u must sense danger!
What makes an archer OP is that people assume they are OP and dont try to counter them, Basically complaining that their current template cannot kill the archer..

Aka.. "My template cant kill X Template... X Template must be overpowered."

W

Walkerboh77

what makes archers OP'd is the ease at which they can be played by any scrub who plays the game...which of course draws more and more people to play it....

we had a class like them in DAoC....they were called warlocks..a no skill button mashing class that spammed 2 buttons over and over and could kill any class....usually easily...

were there ways to beat them? yes....but you sacrificed the ability to kill anything else you'd have to fight

if u can spam 2 buttons over the course of a fight and win...that's OPd

in short...you shouldn't have to make a specific template just to beat one archetype... that by definition is OPd

and i'm very aware many nubs dont use the tools afforded to them....but you also forget...most archer types....have access to the majority of those same abilities...

balance wise...archers should have to give up some thing for virtually uninterpretable ranged enormous DPS.....currently they dont have to sacrifice anything...

they should have UI attacks at range...OR high DPS....not both

Winker

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's not your fault, so you should be able to keep your overpowered template?

...you're dieing 1v1 on a stealther? You can stop commenting on PvP then.
This is exactly what I mean, you just make things up as you go along to make it suit your needs. Point out the line where I said my stealth archer died? I never used those words.

120 parry + 70 DCI and some good skills destroys an archer there is no escaping that fact no matter how you try to justify it. Your inability to change/adapt is more at fault here.

T

The War Hero

SIMPLE MAKE DCI WORK. MAKE ALL WEPS CHUGGABLE. WHEN YOU CHUGG OR APPLY BANDAGES YOU HAVE TO STOP FOR THE SAME ABOUT OF TIME AS G HEAL FROM A MAGE. TAKE 4/6 CASTING AWAY FROM CHIV OR GIVE MAGES 4/6 CASTING. MAKE SPECIALS TAKE MORE MANA. START BANNING SPEED HACKING NOOBS.
This was the most ignorant statement ever. This person clearly does not pvp. Again there are about a million posts here and I don't feel like reading them all, it probably turns into flaming anyway. Here is my input, bows themselves are the only thing that needs to be nerfed. All weapons in the game should follow the same rules. WHY bows were ever given the option of 40 swingspeed or balanced is beyond me. Bows do higher damage, and at a range, this should in turn cost speed. WHY they get the additional hitspell of velocity, again, beyond me. Bows should be capped at 30 ssi, like everything else, no balance, and a single hitspell, whether they keep regular hitspells or bows ONLY get velocity. The only other thing I would like to see happen is movingshot cost a more reasonable amount of mana. At this point the shot costs 3 mana and can be chained upwards of 80 times in a row, which is stupid beyond all belief. 2 Archers with double hitspells and 40ssi, spamming runningshot at this point can take down almost anything in the game. Even in pvm, a single runningshotter can take down a Rikktor champion spawn SOLO in about 10 minutes. Moral of the story : In order to maintain balance, if a weapon is superior to another in one catagory, it SHOULD be lesser in another catagory. In the case of archery it is not. Let us compare the War Hammer to the Crossbow. WarHammer : 17-18 3.75s, Crossbow : 18-22, 4.5s.... Right off the bat, what do we notice? Balance. The crossbow does more damage, and therefore is slower. Two of the oldest weapons in game, and there is a harmony of balance. What do we have next however? The crossbow is given a boost in swing speed by 10% with ash enhancing, diminishing some of the balance but it is still slow enough to wear its not a big deal. The war hammer gets nothing. The bow can now be balanced. An entirely new and previously unimaginable style of archer is born, the chugger. The war hammer again, gets nothing. At this point if you were to have the once mighty warhammer do battle with this crossbow, it would be a one-sided fight. The crossbow would outdamage, and outswing the hammer [with the use of agility pots], and if the hammer got lucky with a few hits, the crossbow can still chug heals. Now this is all fine and well, but then I start thinking about the hitspells, and the very fact that archery is ranged weapons. Now your looking at two more huge advantages, an archer gets a secondary hitspell for even MORE damage on every shot, AND the very fact that they are ranged is a massive advantage, he doesnt even need to let the war hammer swing near him in the entire fight. Ever since the birth of uo, the tradeoff has been range for chugging and damage for speed , this kept balance between bows and melee weapons. And to this day, the war hammer is bound by the parameters of normal weapons, effectively removing them from any usefulness they once had, an outdated underpowered weapon they will remain, never to be used outside of roleplay again until somebody sees the light. By the way, mortal needs a slightly longer cooldown, every other shot being able to mortal, without even seeing the effects from the first leave before being hit with another, is totally ****. I know I am kindof jumping around a bit, but at the very least I would like to see hitspells taken away from runningshots, if they are going to cost 3 mana they should not get +20 damage from lightning/fireball and velocity, plus a disrupt from fireball.

PS I am not saying that archers cannot be beaten at all. I am saying that I want archery to be nerfed OR classic weapons get some love because there is no balance whatsoever for 2-handed melee weapons which are no longer usable in pvp, while archers get all kinds of overpowered massive damage rapidfire long range bows. It would also be nice if mages got some love, all I play is mages, and all I hear about is weapons for dexxers getting beefed up, cant remember the last time a magery spell was BEEFED! CAN NOT REMEMBER.

Just my thoughts.

V

Vaelix

The whole "This template is easier to play" holds no water at all.. Dexxers in general have always been much easier to play than casters.

And.. its always been the case of changing a template to counter another.. Back when super dragons were extremely powerful on Stealth Ninjas.. I was running a tracking detector, Then Nerve Strike Deathstrike was countered by a Parry Template..

Now its either Parry, Some kind of spellweave, Confidence Based, Myst.. The list goes on..

As an example.. a Pure Mage cant kill anyone.. because this template is outdated..

Times change.. Templates become powerful and you need to change your own to counter them.. Welcome to Any MMO that has PvP

Uo has been this way for a long time now..

L

Lord GOD(GOD)

I play a

Necro Spellweave
Parry Mage
Parry Necro
Bushy Necro
Bushy Mage
Inscribe Necro Mage

And rarely play an Archer.. I have no problem with Archers in 1v1..

Yes they are annoying in a Group, but what isnt?

So what you're saying is that because they aren't a problem for you, no problem exists? That'll be great news for the terminally ill, as I'm not.

V

Vaelix

What im saying is.. a Player who is using a Caster Based template can handle an Archer.

This example is for myself.. But i know damn well that there are players out there who are better than me.. Therefore it holds true to them as well..

Anyone of Equal or Better skill..

Damien Softstep

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I dont PvP ehh...youre a joke!

Its not my fault the RNG is not working as it should. When i play my Archer/fencer who runs with 75 DCI, my only defence. Archer/dexters have a hard time hitting me, they miss 3 out of 5 shots/hits.

When i play my stealth archer and try and dismount a parry/70 DCI mage i cant hit him. I miss 8 out of 10 shots and being on foot, the mage can then turn around and destroy me.
This is exactly what I mean, you just make things up as you go along to make it suit your needs. Point out the line where I said my stealth archer died? I never used those words.

120 parry + 70 DCI and some good skills destroys an archer there is no escaping that fact no matter how you try to justify it. Your inability to change/adapt is more at fault here.
Can you please define DESTROY me?

T

The War Hero

The whole "This template is easier to play" holds no water at all.. Dexxers in general have always been much easier to play than casters.

And.. its always been the case of changing a template to counter another.. Back when super dragons were extremely powerful on Stealth Ninjas.. I was running a tracking detector, Then Nerve Strike Deathstrike was countered by a Parry Template..

Now its either Parry, Some kind of spellweave, Confidence Based, Myst.. The list goes on..

As an example.. a Pure Mage cant kill anyone.. because this template is outdated..

Times change.. Templates become powerful and you need to change your own to counter them.. Welcome to Any MMO that has PvP

Uo has been this way for a long time now..

I do play a pure scribe mage, and I kill most no matter their template. I do agree with what you said for the most part however. The weapons for archery and runningshots are still overpowered however.

U

UOKaiser

I do play a pure scribe mage, and I kill most no matter their template. I do agree with what you said for the most part however. The weapons for archery and runningshots are still overpowered however.
This is the part I don't get for pvp. Haven't got it for years. Tried to but just can't understand. If you are able to kill most templates you meet no matter there template won't that mean youre pure scribe mage is over powered? So how can a weapons for archery and running shot overpowered if you can kill most of them. Then If you can't kill that template but can kill every other one wont' that make everyother template other than that one underpowered. And if this is so won't every one of those templates consider every one they get killed by overpowered? And if the archer gets killed would he think he is underpowered or the other person is cheating?And if he consider himself overpowered then wouldn't that mean he can devestate every single player and template out there without battling a sweat which means there unbeatable?But if this is true for a ttemplate thats underpowered does this mean that the template is really overpowered or the skill of this player is beyond comprehension. Would other people consider him as a cheat or skilled?

You see my dilema. Years and years I've tried to understand this circle of crazyness and am no close to solving this. Can anybody help my reasoning?Just need some logical solutions to this egyption puzzle.

W

Walkerboh77

because a skillful person behind a mediocre template can still defeat a scrub behind an OP'd 2 button mashing template....

skill still plays a factor....

V

Vaelix

The only thing i disagree with on Weapons.. is double hit spell.. and even then you must sacrifice something to have it.

chad

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

It was very clear what you meant by "destroyed."

120 parry +70 dci does not destroy an archer. It makes it more difficult for them to produce offense, but by no means destroys them. However, assuming the character with parry is a mage, it becomes much more difficult for the mage to produce an effective offense due to lack of skill points.

Why would you assume that I cannot adapt or have not adapted?

V

Vaelix

I like the Aegis instead of Faction Glasses, pendant, and that Tali..

As well as having inscribe and not taking advantage of the Free Resists that Dual buffs gives ya.

chad

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I like the Aegis instead of Faction Glasses and that Tali..

As well as having inscribe and not taking advantage of the Free Resists that Dual buffs gives ya.

Perhaps you don't realize that I have +50 skill on the template.

What difference does it make if I only need one?

V

Vaelix

Perhaps you don't realize that I have +50 skill on the template.

What difference does it make if I only need one?
That 50 is in resist correct? Which is pointless consdiering.. Trap Box, Cure Pots, and 85 is mana vamp immunity, and 30 damage Painspikes arnt the end of the world.

Great, so can you post how exactly you on your Parry Mage, kill an Archer 1v1?
Cast a few spells.. Do a few Disarms, Para Punch a little..

Obviously i cant break down how im going to kill someone because Combos arnt 100%.

Ever try throwing down a Few para fields and fighting around em?

chad

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That 50 is in resist correct? Which is pointless consdiering.. Trap Box, Cure Pots, and 85 is mana vamp immunity, and 30 damage Painspikes arnt the end of the world.

Obviously i cant break down how im going to kill someone because Combos arnt 100%.

Oh good God...I didn't know how poor of a PvPer I was dealing with, but you have just painted a pretty clear picture.

Resist is an extremely important skill when you fight solo or in a small group. 85 is not mana vamp immunity, you demonstrate your lack of PvP knowledge more and more every time you post.

L

Lord GOD(GOD)

Yes, I have. Not very effective when they can just not go in them, or trap box.

You see this is the point I'm getting to, you say their not a problem, a lot of other people say they are, so either:

You believe you are doing something no one else can. (obviously not)
or
You're fighting some bad (or worse) Archers (than the rest of us). (willing to assume for arguments sake you're not)
or
You're wrong.

Because otherwise it doesn't add up does it.

Even if I go along with 'throw a few spells', your curse is removed so their insufficient damage. 'Disarm' doesn't kill anyone or stop them healing, 'stun punch' doesn't kill anyone or stop them healing, 'fields' they work in tight spaces but they can still easily out heal you, unless they're stuck on a poison field, but the chances of a complete trap are fairly slim.

V

Vaelix

85 Isnt complete immunity however with enough Med/Focus/MR/LMC real PvPers can make due no problem..

The fact that you need resist speaks volumes about you.

V

Vaelix

Yes, I have. Not very effective when they can just not go in them, or trap box.

You see this is the point I'm getting to, you say their not a problem, a lot of other people say they are, so either:

You believe you are doing something no one else can. (obviously not)
or
You're fighting some bad (or worse) Archers (than the rest of us). (willing to assume for arguments sake you're not)
or
You're wrong.

Because otherwise it doesn't add up does it.

Even if I go along with 'throw a few spells', your curse is removed so their insufficient damage. 'Disarm' doesn't kill anyone or stop them healing, 'stun punch' doesn't kill anyone or stop them healing, 'fields' they work in tight spaces but they can still easily out heal you, unless they're stuck on a poison field, but the chances of a complete trap are fairly slim.
Actually the parafields will.. Slow down their attacks due to being paralyzed (Even for a Split second) and Add extra damage by making them kill themselves with their own trap box.

Disarm is mainly for defense obviously unless they are using an FC book. (Mage)

A Good para punch can work wonders.. From causing them to trap box.. or give you the time to cast an uninterrupted spell.

Fields like i said.. make them kill themselves or give you some room to breath..

Yes its a lot harder to kill someone on a Mage.. it is not, however, Impossible.

L

Lord GOD(GOD)

If you can't say with any certaintly how you kill someone then how can you say with any certainty that they aren't a problem.

You can't.

chad

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
85 Isnt complete immunity however with enough Med/Focus/MR/LMC real PvPers can make due no problem..

The fact that you need resist speaks volumes about you.

I think everyone realizes you're a joke at this point.

V

Vaelix

I think everyone realizes you're a joke at this point.
I wasnt aware that i needed to impress anyone.. As i said, Resist isnt a Crucial skill its merely nice to have to avoid little "Annoyances"

You said its Important Solo.. Your telling me you cant interrupt a Level 7 Casting time Mana Vamp?

And in group PvP, if they are Working off your resist it means they are Focusing on you, Freeing up your own group.

Any good pvper would realize that resist is an "Okay" Skill which can be basically replaced with Items.. Aka Trap Boxes, Cure Pots, ect..

In a mage duel.. yah resist is great

On the field.. Resist is replaced by other skills as long as you run the correct items to replace it.

The only time resist would be amazing is if you are on the field on a Stealther (Non Resist) and Get dismounted, Mana Vamped, and have no mages of your own around to Xheal and Invis you..

W

Walkerboh77

i love to find the random noob running around that doesn't have resist spells on my myst/mage

V

Vaelix

If they are dying because they dont have resist they are terrible..

Also.. Since according to half of the posters here 90% of PvPers are running archers.. And not mages.. This is even more of a reason to Not run resist.

Go ahead and explain why resist is an Absolute Must and i will explain why its not.. Again.

W

Walkerboh77

Also.. Since according to half of the posters here 90% of PvPers are running archers.. And not mages.. This is even more of a reason to Not run resist.

because archers don't have enough extra skills points to use in something else....like necro perhaps?

your logic is astounding

i find it funny that you use trap boxes as an example to not need resists....and then a post or two later claim to use the damage against the people who use them....

which is it? are they beneficial or something to be used against you?

on the same note...you mention para fields give u a moment or two advantage ...but then cast out resist skills which would prevent several moments of delay as useless....

hmmmm

W

Walkerboh77

so losing 20% of your life almost instantly isnt' a big deal eh?

and it's not like that PS is coming by itself.....perhaps an arrow or two up my ass with it?

i dunno....

we have gotten off subject tho....nerf archers

L

Lord GOD(GOD)

If you're saying you're killing Archers aided by the 7 or so damage caused by their trap box, when they could just as easily not walk in the field, or not hit the box macro then I no longer think we're discussing the same calibre of Archers.

V

Vaelix

Considering the fact that it can only do High Damage once within a Set amount of time, and the Fact that If you keep yourself at full (Or Chug a Heal After a PS) The loss of HP isnt the end of the world..

If you are dying to a Conc/AI | PS combo.. all i can say is Wow.

V

Vaelix

If you're saying you're killing Archers aided by the 7 or so damage caused by their trap box, when they could just as easily not walk in the field, or not hit the box macro then I no longer think we're discussing the same calibre of Archers.
1 Field 5 Tiles of Paralyze
5 Fields 25 Tiles of Paralzye

Your not aiming for 7 Damage.. your aiming at making them trap over and over and over.

L

Lord GOD(GOD)

1 Field 5 Tiles of Paralyze
5 Fields 25 Tiles of Paralzye

Your not aiming for 7 Damage.. your aiming at making them trap over and over and over.

I didn't say you're aiming for it. They don't need to trap they are ranged. What do you think they're doing while you're setting up fields?

chad

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Go ahead and explain why resist is an Absolute Must and i will explain why its not.. Again.

I'm curious, what shard do you play?

V

Vaelix

because archers don't have enough extra skills points to use in something else....like necro perhaps?

your logic is astounding

i find it funny that you use trap boxes as an example to not need resists....and then a post or two later claim to use the damage against the people who use them....

which is it? are they beneficial or something to be used against you?

on the same note...you mention para fields give u a moment or two advantage ...but then cast out resist skills which would prevent several moments of delay as useless....

hmmmm
You'll never agree with me and I'll never agree with you.. I wouldnt fight around Para fields, This whole topic however is about How Archers are Unbeatable and Impossible to Survive aginst, Ive given many examples on how to do Both, Para field happens to fit into both categories.

V

Vaelix

I didn't say you're aiming for it. They don't need to trap they are ranged. What do you think they're doing while you're setting up fields?
Waiting for the timer to run off because you disarmed them before you went to set up a few fields.

W

Walkerboh77

actually the topic was how archers are over powered and need to be rebalanced....

over powered and unbeatable are not synonymous ....

chad

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Siege Perilous and Atlantic.

How do you feel about fighting me on an archer vs template of your choice?

or

We can fight mage vs mage. You go ahead and run no resist. I would like to see how you do.

V

Vaelix

How do you feel about fighting me on an archer vs template of your choice?

or

We can fight mage vs mage. You go ahead and run no resist. I would like to see how you do.
If its a Duel in a Box.. I'd want resist.. If its on the field resist is useless..

I mainly only consider "Field PvP" when i make examples ect ect.. most Duels are Ping Based.

I'm at work however for the next 7 Hours..

L

Lord GOD(GOD)

Ive given many examples on how to do Both

No you didn't. You said you can't list specific combos and everything you said about fields and disarming and stun is ineffective. Or defensive action which kills no one.

Status
Not open for further replies.