• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Champion Spawns Additions

T

Teeshy

Regine_EAMythicAs for the scroll of skill gaining.... Gyah. Please don't do that either. If you have to give us skills on a scroll at least do it by offering the existing Alacrity scrolls. At least that way a character has to USE the skill to gain in it.
I read this, and totally agreed with it, then as I thought on it more, I thought no =) If you use a scroll of alacrity, sure, you have to use the skill, but you have the potential to get a LOT more than a .5/1 point gain.

I love the alacrity scrolls, 'cos for some skills it's a matter of logging in, get GGS, log out again, you can do that for days ;)

This way, ALL you get is a one time, *MAX* 1 point gain =)

S

sapphirediablo11

Hell even with the 105's being worthless with a tram ruleset you have a chance at ONE (1) for the entire spawn, and that one will be at most a .5 gain. whereas how many in Fel? and up to a FULL POINT of skill gain?

The Fel player often complain that they are being shafted when it come to newer stuff, to me this doesn't look like shafting.
Lol Fel Players get the most and complain teh most... when was the last big release that was for an RP community, name something... common...

Were as in fel, Wahh i only get to get 1.1 min gain now because things aren't fair anymore blah blah blah ect.. fel people are just alot of complainers such as myself, except i do not see the point in whining about the things that we get that are mainly for us... but since most want everyhting since they only play the game to kill others and do not care for the game itself they complain... but ohwells.. i know i'm going to get some flames on this one :| lets hope not and keep it on topic

Um, risk vs reward? And I'm sure 99% of the people who do this in fel will gladly give you all their 105 scrolls. Or head there yourself, theres moongates all over to take you there.
If you want i can meet you at a fel champ spawn if you play LS we harvest there all teh time, since no one really goes there anymore anyways... it is really sad.. and we have about 1/3 of the best PvPers on shard and the rest are freelance so there is no hope for a real good fight and everyone fears us :(

So is there a 90% drop rate per person or per kill? i think i misread that lol

Tomas_Bryce

Rares Collector Extraordinaire | Rares Fest Host
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Lets not start the fel/trammel thing. There are lot of other more important things to discuss.

A

Asahina Yajinden

prepare for the Felucca-only players to whine, now that there's (to me at least) more incentive to do Ilshenar spawns than Felucca ones.

I seriously doubt anyone from fell will lose sleep over obtaining new scrolls in a tramm facet.
Bravo to the person responsible for these ideas!!!!

finally a reason to do a spawn outside of fellucia!!!

.....although i wish the values were swapped around .1 to .5 in fel and .6 and 1.0 in trammel...... i know it goes against the whole fel = more resources double ore etc.... but it'd be nice to see some advantage for the tramm side occassionally.
this is def a step in the right direction making changes like this just might keep folks interested???
like maybe having the tokuno spawn drop tokuno arties???
just a few thoughts...ha ha let the flaming begin...

R

ravenwaves

You can thank Mythic for sharing aspects of the Public Quest reward system they use in Warhammer with UO.

You know, since Mythic doesn't care about the Ultima Franchise or anything.

*sets out the freshly baked humble pie*

And yeah, great idea devs to give folks a reason to want to do champs again!

JC the Builder

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You can thank Mythic for sharing aspects of the Public Quest reward system they use in Warhammer with UO.
You can thank whoever came up with the evil-in-a-can spawn back in 2001 for Ilshenar so that the Mythic developers could copy it.

Tomas_Bryce

Rares Collector Extraordinaire | Rares Fest Host
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Public Quest Reward System?

From a PvP perspective, this has a potential to change the spawn pvp dynamics in few ways:

1) No more despise only
2) Less incentive to attack only at the tail end of the spawn

soze

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
great info and it's exciting to see new content like this!

Gheed

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Twice the points and double scrolls with protection, the powerscrolls, the skulls and the special reward for doing the same thing but with a bit more risk. I don't know but it is actually appealing to me. Then again, I mostly play Fel and I enjoy PvP so I guess I'm even more biased!
How appealing is it to you to spend possibly hours on end getting a chance to get on a list to give you a chance to get an item you want, then do it again when that item wears out? It's another poor use of RNG. At least make the drop some sort of turn in to get exactly what you want. As if insurance and durability management werent bad enough as it is, now it'll go poof eventually anyway?

Why put systems in place to enslave folks to old content when new content is introduced? The system seems fine and all. But when the new wears off do you think folks will decide to do something because it is an annoying pain in the butt or because it is fun? I can see the system as dormant as it is now eventually.

I gave up my archer easy button for the challenge of melee. If you are throwing PoF on the slab why should I bother spending a good portion of my game time maintaining the current status of my suit when I could be having fun? Might as well blow the dust off my archer and make sure my bow can be PoF'd. Because little else will wear down.

phantus

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You can thank whoever came up with the evil-in-a-can spawn back in 2001 for Ilshenar so that the Mythic developers could copy it.
*nods*

Although, in fairness, the Warhammer system is still superior in a few ways. Healers get credit for healing(go figure). If you don't get a reward you get extra points for your next try(tokuno accumulative system.) You get to pick your reward if you are one of the top point makers.

Still a welcome system.

Demonous

Rares Fest Host | Ches Jul 2010
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
*chuckles in the direction of people that spent cash on anything on the replica list* :loser:

Aroma

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ok since no one has asked. Does this mean that skills before that had no powerscrolls for will now be able to 120? Like 120 cooking? How will these items be treated in the new release coming soon? imbue to add more durability?

Demonous

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ok since no one has asked. Does this mean that skills before that had no powerscrolls for will now be able to 120? Like 120 cooking? How will these items be treated in the new release coming soon? imbue to add more durability?
answer to your first question is no, and i doubt imbue would ever add more durability

Viquire

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is meant as a permanent addition to champ spawns. Not a temporary one.

Super SWEET!

I fail to see how there can be a lot of complaining about this, aside of course from long time vets who want to be heralded for the importance of their playtime, and the addition of items more specific to each champ is a long awaited and much appreciated benefit to working spawns as well.

I'm not sure I understand why Merakitus(SP?) wasn't included.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I love some of the really silly math in some of these anti-SOT posts.

Let's see.

1. An average of .25 skill points per scroll (if they are evenly distributed) in the Trammel ruleset.

2. 55 current primary skills (ones that aren't a sub-ability of others; 57 when Stygian abyss comes out).

If one gets ONE SoT scroll per Champ spawn, that means it will typically take this many champ spawns to get ONE POINT in a specific skill....

4 (average number of scrolls to get to 1.0) x 55 =

TWO HUNDRED AND TWENTY.

At 30 minutes per spawn, that's 110 hours of game play, or almost FIVE DAYS NON-STOP, once you count server maintenance down time.

Realistically, that will probably be closer to 3-5 WEEKS of play, if you spend 4-6 hours A DAY at the spawns, killing two bosses an hour.

You'll get to GM (or even 120) a hell of a lot faster, just with GGS.

The only thing unbalanced, are the minds of those that think these will be farmable in amounts to regularly gain double-digit points.

JC the Builder

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Although, in fairness, the Warhammer system is still superior in a few ways. Healers get credit for healing(go figure). If you don't get a reward you get extra points for your next try(tokuno accumulative system.) You get to pick your reward if you are one of the top point makers.
The champion spawn system has been left untouched since 2002. If it had been continued to be improved and added to, who knows what it could be today. This is a common issue with UO systems being implemented and then preserved in an almost cryogenic state.

I played Warhammer for a short time and the only thing different from the UO system is rewards for killing lesser spawn and variation in what you do. Otherwise it is exactly the same.

Viquire

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Have to realize that the faction thing was a dupe fix too. All the arties that have been duped are now easy to get, just like the event items are about to be.
Guess that will show those dupers and those "brokers" (aka fencers) a thing or two right? (wrong)
Flutter, with all due respect I fail to follow you on this one. If the items become available again in game through regular playsystems not way out of the reach of people who simply make a choice to play for the items instead of pay for the items then how does that not make cheating ingame less profitable for those reliant on items sold irl for rl cash?

Demonous

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Let's see.

1. An average of .25 skill points per scroll (if they are evenly distributed) in the Trammel ruleset.

2. 55 current primary skills (ones that aren't a sub-ability of others; 57 when Stygian abyss comes out).

If one gets ONE SoT scroll per Champ spawn, that means it will typically take this many champ spawns to get ONE POINT in a specific skill....

TWO HUNDRED AND TWENTY.

At 30 minutes per spawn, that's 110 hours of game play, or almost FIVE DAYS NON-STOP, once you count server maintenance down time.

Realistically, that will probably be closer to 3-5 WEEKS of play, if you spend 4-6 hours A DAY at the spawns, killing two bosses an hour.

The only thing unbalanced, are the minds of those that think these will be farmable in amounts to regularly gain double-digit points.

some people like me are too lazy to do GGS and since having gmed taming in 2004 has only gotten to 101.5, in 4 years i got 15 gains, so yes this will help me

R

ravenwaves

WoW actually borrowed the champ spawn idea for their "naxx invasion" a couple years ago. Practically identicle copy.

Yes UO did it first, and yes Mythic is sharing some of its variations on the idea to revitalize UO a bit.

I'm sure its appreciated.

Demonous

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The champion spawn system has been left untouched since 2002. If it had been continued to be improved and added to, who knows what it could be today. This is a common issue with UO systems being implemented and then preserved in an almost cryogenic state.
wrong, when spawns first came out, if u died to anything but the champ boss itself u would be booted out of the champ area and sent to britain healers shop with all your items on your body next to you, this was before age of shadows and before insurance, you couldn't re enter the area for 20 mins after

then after a while you couldn't recall off a ship key to your boat if the boat was in fel t2a i.e. next to the terra sanctum island spawn

exorcism was added to boot ghosts scouting spawns

then! they made it so that protecting ghosts couldnt get scrolls as a ghost and rez in tram with scrolls on them, they stayed on body now

then they added another bridge into despise (east bridge)

and most recently, they buffed up champ bosses HP and made it so that you can't lure them far away or guard wack them any longer

...so there have been changes! just no changes in the rewards given... unless you include power scrolls for ninja, bush and spellweave

phantus

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ain't that the truth. Been blue in the face for years waiting for good systems to build upon what they currently have.

I played Warhammer for a short time and the only thing different from the UO system is rewards for killing lesser spawn and variation in what you do. Otherwise it is exactly the same.
Well, as I pointed out there is no benefit(game-wise) for healing. In WH you can go to a spawn and do nothing but heal and be rewarded. I don't think that is something easily added to UO. Plus, there is a reward for lesser spawn. Each one you kill you get points that will award you buying power for each chapters items associated with that area. That combined with the tailoring the rewards by class is a nice touch. In addition to the extra points if you do the same spawn again when you didn't get a reward the first time.

Again, the system is evil-in-a-can in every respect.

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And let me assure everyone that Ilshenar spawns are considerably harder than Felucca ones. You have paragons, unfavorable terrain, and a spawn that's ridiculously spread out, often encroaching into areas occupied by unrelated spawn.

-Galen's player

Let's see.

TWO HUNDRED AND TWENTY.

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
prepare for the Felucca-only players to whine, now that there's (to me at least) more incentive to do Ilshenar spawns than Felucca ones.
Wow, a new low. Whining about possible complaints, lmao.
Save the trolling for if it happens.

But no. I think fel players would rather work for scrolls .6-1.0 as opposed to .1-.5 they will have no problem leaving the low ends in tram.
No one will complain. Otherwise we would have already seen it.

K

Katlene

how many ilsh spawns are there? the only one i know of is the fae one near the blood dungeon up from spirituality

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This sound great! Looking forward to it, been wanting an LT Sash :D.

Too bad they can't be insured or blessed, can be destoryed and no PoF though. But well, that means that the orig items are still very much desirable. Should also stave off another round of complaints about insurance in Fel and no fear of losing uber equipment etc. Only PvP'rs that are prepared to lose them will wear them for PvPing.

Damn, but there goes my growing artifacts via gardening idea heh.

Regarding spawn guilds that will easily harvest 50 skills scrolls within a short time, remember that you will need to share those 50 scrolls among guildmates. Let's say 10 people worked the spawn, that's only 5 scrolls for each. And, unlike the PS, all skills are eligible. So out of 50 scrolls, maybe 2 will be taming, another 2 for begging, 2 for med, 2 for focus, 2 for forensic, 2 for herding etc. The 70-140 (more required if there are 0.2 ones) scrolls required to get from 50 taming to 120 taming isn't going to happen as quickly as you might think.

Even with the existence of said guilds for years farming PS, it's not until recent years that I'd seen 120 magery scrolls for sale on vendors.

Regarding the lag, first, as people have already pointed out, she's a designer, not part of the network team. I just want to add that while the network team fixes the network issues, the design team and devs doesn't stop working and sit on their laurels. They continue to work on new content to improve the game.

I also don't think that this is a direct response to duped EM items. Just like network issues, the existence of dupes shouldn't prevent them from introducing new content or items. I believe they are introduced because alot of the EM items were only available to closed groups previously.

While on the subject, I think it has been explained before that the original vinecord sandles did not have any resists. They gained the resists during the introduction of AOS. Lots of wearables with colours like dull copper ingot, gold ingot, spined hides etc al gained the material bonus. My gold coloured +5 smithing gloves gained 40 luck, my arcane gloves that were dyed blue, gained +40 luck and resists. Too bad they are already considered enhanced and I can't double enhance them :D. So, even if they gave the vinecord sandles, I am not sure if they will give it resists.

JC the Builder

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, as I pointed out there is no benefit(game-wise) for healing. In WH you can go to a spawn and do nothing but heal and be rewarded. I don't think that is something easily added to UO.
You can designate the healer to be the justice protector. Also healing in Warhammer is a dedicated class. Some classes can not heal themselves at all and rely on their fellow group members. This is not how UO works. There doesn't need to be special systems for healers.

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
how many ilsh spawns are there? the only one i know of is the fae one near the blood dungeon up from spirituality
3. The one near spirituality is always oaks.
The other 2 are SW of Valor and NE of Humility. These are random.

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Too bad they can't be insured or blessed, can be destoryed and no PoF though. But well, that means that the orig items are still very much desirable. Should also stave off another round of complaints about insurance in Fel and no fear of losing uber equipment etc. Only PvP'rs that are prepared to lose them will wear them for PvPing.
Actually they can be repaired, insured, and blessed. Just not powdered.

L

Lord Kynd

very very cool,
especially the part about the people who actually work the spawn's .. good thinking about the raiders :p hehe now they can't come gank and take the rewards of doing the hard work.
just be on the subserver to get ... sweet :)
and more deco , woot :p

Viquire

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It wouldn't be upsetting, because most people are done training their characters, or would welcome these scrolls so they don't have to work up to 120 bushido for the 8th time.

It's just the "I worked my skill up so everyone else should too" fools on Stratics that are opposed to it really.
Amen.

I play on multiple shards for lots of reasons. these should be a big boon to the chars I have in out of the way places that still need work.

In addition, it looks to me like over the course of the last several publishes including our clean up, that preparations are being made for an influx of players that will not care to stick around for five years to play catchup with those of us that have been around since pre-aos.

I miss the fellowship of the old days and we have soooo many more places to go and see and do stuff that we shouldn't have to see a return to the bone knight lines, just because we have more players.

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This paragraph is amazingly contradictory.

New items keep the poor PvPers on the bottom which is bad, and yet the market being flooded is also bad.
The market will be flooded, which means 10-30 mil each, for starters, not "low" prices (think about how the market is flooded with "replicas," for example) and it will be controlled and dictated by the rich scripters and the rich patrons in Luna whom buy at Luna prices. The poor won't benefit. You can compare it to the existing items, yes, there is no contest there. Items once 500 mil now down to what most will consider nothing.

Not to mention that poorer PvPers can camp the spawns themselves, and thus face the necessity of doing PvM to obtain something they want, just as PvMers must face the necessity of doing PvP to obtain something they want (power scrolls, double fame, double resources, etc.)
And on the topic of contradictions, champ Spawns are PvM and there is no necessity to PvP, because, as you say later on, people can buy from other people.

It will really depend on how fast these items drop. On one hand, I hope the skill incentives encourage people to use real skill, but we know that isn't going to happen. PvP and this game has just gotten more item-dependent, which means more money to spend and more work for the average person to compete in PvP. Hurray :).

And if you really want contradiction, on the other hand, I am excited to acquire all of these items, as the poor guy who will, undoubtedly, farm until I can achieve what I will now need to use to fight. Not out of necessity, of course, but by PvP law, fairly close to necessity, haha. Can't wait to see what kind of uber FC/FCR items are out there.

phantus

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, as I pointed out there is no benefit(game-wise) for healing. In WH you can go to a spawn and do nothing but heal and be rewarded. I don't think that is something easily added to UO.
You can designate the healer to be the justice protector. Also healing in Warhammer is a dedicated class. Some classes can not heal themselves at all and rely on their fellow group members. This is not how UO works. There doesn't need to be special systems for healers.
Just because UO doesn't have classes doesn't mean it doesn't have healers. I knows many players on many shards that like to play a "healer". It would be nice to have their work recognized in a way other than the kindness of strangers or otherwise. Single healers or those in groups. Just because something isn't currently in UO doesn't mean we have to pidgeon-hole ourselves into omitting it on the principle it doesn't exist or it exists in another game. That philosophy isn't going to get us new players and it sure as hell isn't going to help us keep those that would like to have those systems introduced.

You are more than entitled to your opinion but mine is that UO does need systems that reward healers and offers an alternative to characters geared for only damage and killing.

Maplestone

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A healer's best reward is spiritual, not material ... the satisfaction of a good deed done.

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Three. Fey, near Spirituality. One west of Valor, across the river. One east of Humility. Those last 2 rotate among the "evil" type of spawns.

Four if you count the Twisted Weald champ spawn as being part of Ilshenar.

-Galen's player

M

MagiHui

So every scroll I get is going to be for taste/item ID? *grins*

I like the idea - I LOVE the idea that *maybe* I *might* get a taming boost.

But what if (for example) I am at 99.8 taming, and I get a .5 scroll? Can I still use it to get my .2, or will it not let me, 'cos I don't have room for it?

Just tame a bull one morning then tame another the next.

Voila.

V

Vertigo

I like these changes. I've always wanted to do champs in Tok but nobody is ever there doing them and I can't solo a Champ spawn. Thumbs up!!

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Regine and Leurocian, does the fact that you're introducing the new Scrolls of Transcendence mean that you've given up on figuring out how to give us a decent skill gain rate for skills that cap out at 100? And that you've given up on trying to come up with additional content to let people gain up to 120 in certain skills (e.g., spellweaving and taming) naturally, without the use of the scrolls?

Are the skill gain algorithms so complicated that you guys are just throwing your hands in the air and giving up on the idea of "fixing" them so they work correctly with all skills, whether they only go to 100 or they go to 120? Are you basically trying to tell us, but not in so many words, that if we choose to try to raise a skill like lockpicking to 100 just by picking locks and by not using one of these scrolls, things will never get better? If we don't want to spend months doing it (or years, in the case of trying to get to 120 taming), we MUST buy or go hunt at the champ spawns in order to get the scrolls?

If the answer is that you've given up on the idea of trying to tweak the skill gain algorithms so they work consistently for all skills and instead you're throwing some other object whose receipt is also governed by the damn RNG at the problem, then I'm truly out of here.

I would much rather see you fix the problems in the game so EVERYONE who plays, not just those who delight in hunting and especially those who love to PvP, get some benefits from your work. It's wonderful that you're doing something to make champ spawns, especially the ones outside of Fel, more attractive. But if part of the reason you're doing it is because you think you've come up with an "easy" solution to an issue that's flustered people for years, I'm sorry....I just can't swallow it. Fix the problems, please. Quit throwing more pixel crack at us.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Prior to the current round of events, on Lake Austin we were having scheduled, public, Ilshenar champ spawns, peerless runs and doom runs 3 nights a week (usually at least 2 of the 3 possible activities, each night).

Attendence was running about 8-15 people a night - this should boost it, when we restart them and the publish comes.

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Actually they can be repaired, insured, and blessed. Just not powdered.
Whoops, I saw the no POF and then the repaired/insured parts and thought those were not possible too, LOL. Thanks for the correction!

F

Fink

Nice to see the champs reworked a little. Better than having the spawns (and the players) all sit idle.

Personally I'd rather see Scrolls of Alacrity drop in Ilshenar, and ToT minor arties from Tokuno spawns, but obviously a lot of thought has gone into this publish and into adding new things.

Anything that distracts me from impatiently waiting on SA's release is welcomed. :spider:

Lady Aalia

Atlantic's Finest
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I really like the new Additions.

Personally i am not worried by the skill scrolls (and yes i did the 120 Taming manually over 3 years) If they are like the Aclarity scrolls i will end up with 75% taste ID scrolls anyways :p

The Replicas i do welcome too.
Most of those Items have been duped to hell anyways so in my eyes they arent worth anything anyways, even thou some tend to dissagree and i have had people try to tell me i should by their "duped" items because its worth the same :coco:

Good thing is they will all have the Replica tag so its easy to see that they are not the real EM item so the rares colectors in my eye dont get shafted , since they hold the item for its history and unique name (wich it still has, as they wont have any replica tags).

Deco items are way cool too i love Deco.
I will love hitting the Ish and Tokuno Spawns , not sure bout the fell ones heh dont think i stand much a chance there :)

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The only advice I have for the changes is to make the scrolls times. You shouldn't be able to use more than one T-scroll in a day.