• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Anyone but me seeing the consecrate weapon delay since publish?

Parnoc

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@Kyronix On my archer I stop shooting now when I cast Consecrate Weapon until the spell is cast. This happened all the time on Test Center before it went live and I just chalked it up to being Test Center, but when it hit live, it happened on my home shard. Is this intended or a bug? I saw nothing of it written or discussed in any of the publish notes.

Mr. Smither1

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The problem is not just consecrate I observed it with enemy of one and confidence using a soul seeker with 180 stamina and it seems much worst during server lag and I seem to stop swinging for too long.

WhiteWitch

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Yes I noticed this while doing a spawn on my thrower, at the beginning I was swearing and shouting "THROW" as the mass of mobs got closer, it seemed like I had low stam or something, I keep consecrate up for the whole spawn casting every 9 seconds or so, it was a little later I noticed it was casting this that was making me miss swings.
By the end of the spawn I had affected a "workaround" by refreshing consecrate immediately after a swing, my swing speed is 1.5 with a glaive and this minimised the interruption so it was barely noticeable, other chiv spells that previously didn't interrupt a swing now do also but as those are used less frequently its not as annoying.
So either its a new bug or worse - its now working as originally intended :S

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I can add Close wounds to the list, I have 120 Chiv and even mongbats can interrupt me casting this on myself.
This used to happen only from "meaner mobs" but now even the junk mobs can stop you from casting, meaning this is not a safe form of healing anymore.

Bleak

UO Software Engineer
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@Kyronix On my archer I stop shooting now when I cast Consecrate Weapon until the spell is cast. This happened all the time on Test Center before it went live and I just chalked it up to being Test Center, but when it hit live, it happened on my home shard. Is this intended or a bug? I saw nothing of it written or discussed in any of the publish notes.
This working as intended. We will be updating with more details. The notes have been updated http://uo.com/wiki/ultima-online-wiki/publish-notes/publish-90/.

Last edited:

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Makes sense...mages can't cast on the run...why should archers be able to?

I noticed this as well and while a bit frustrating at first, I got used to it rather quickly.

WhiteWitch

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Makes sense...mages can't cast on the run...why should archers be able to?

I noticed this as well and while a bit frustrating at first, I got used to it rather quickly.
Its not stopping casting while on the run, Consecrate, enemy of one and divine fury can still be cast while moving, the change is that now they interrupt attack swings whilst stood still.

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Its not stopping casting while on the run, Consecrate, enemy of one and divine fury can still be cast while moving, the change is that now they interrupt attack swings whilst stood still.
Same basic concept is what I was trying to get across...mages have to stop to cast....now everyone else has to as well. Stop swinging/shooting or stop moving to cast magic..it just makes sense.

Parnoc

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Same basic concept is what I was trying to get across...mages have to stop to cast....now everyone else has to as well. Stop swinging/shooting or stop moving to cast magic..it just makes sense.
Mages are not usually standing in the middle of a bunch of baddies with no intent other than to slay you either. Why has it been wrong all these years and now it's just changed? Come on, geez.

Gamer_Goblin

Sage
Stratics Veteran
They have to keep swinging to keep getting life and live.

WhiteWitch

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
I agree in principle, and in the case of enemy of one etc its no biggie, but consecrate weapon has such a short duration that you are casting it every 4-5 swings, and not having it running makes the difference between a 25hp hit and a 75hp one in some cases(like Rikktor), it actually equates to quite a big nerf, I'm looking forward to hearing the explanation as to why this is suddenly unbalanced after 12 years.

Scribbles

Long Live The Players
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Oh UO made a "change" that effects a lot of players and didnt tell anyone.... Surprising. I bet it was on accident and they are going to claim it was intentional like they have done so many other times.

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Many complain the monsters are to easy and that everythings soloable , maybe this is a move to solve that problem and save the hassle of upgrading all the game monsters.

WhiteWitch

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
My money would be on it being a nerf targeted at the "sampire" template, I don't have one but they use chiv, bushido and necro right?
Someone mentioned it happening also with a bushido spell

Im not sure how important consecrate weapon(and the other previously non swing affecting spells) is to a sampire, but given their karma is low because of necro, the duration of consecrate has to be very short for them, 6 or 7 seconds maybe, trying to keep that up is going to seriously harm their DPS and thus their healing.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My money would be on it being a nerf targeted at the "sampire" template, I don't have one but they use chiv, bushido and necro right?
Which came along with a big boost (at least that was clearly the goal) to sampire templates with the masteries. Makes no sense.

Im not sure how important consecrate weapon(and the other previously non swing affecting spells) is to a sampire, but given their karma is low because of necro, the duration of consecrate has to be very short for them, 6 or 7 seconds maybe, trying to keep that up is going to seriously harm their DPS and thus their healing.
Casting chiv spells while fighting is pretty important to me. I have 120 chiv, and no bushi, and I cast chiv spells pretty much constantly. I don't think it's a HUGE deal, but it will end up in me getting killed at some point I have a feeling.

The real issue is, as it always is when the change a VERY old mechanic out of the blue: Why now?

Scribbles

Long Live The Players
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
if this is the case are anat heal dexxers not going to be able to swing while applying bandies?

Over all it doesnt affect me too much, just wish they would actually state the change before it happened.... or at the very least mentioned it any where in a publish notes or on the website...

Classic UO No PR skills what so ever. Laughable.

Vor

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This working as intended. We will be updating with more details.
I can accept the change.. but.. surely something big like this should have been in the patch notes?

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This working as intended. We will be updating with more details.
Let me translate for y'all,
" Yes it's changed and we have no idea why it did or how it was done,
were gonna say it was done on purpose thou so Mesanna don't hit us,
we'll let you know why 'we' changed it just as soon as we can think something up that sounds realistic,
aww nuts....Mesanna's gonna hit us with heavy spikey objects"

:tinhat:

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Well, 100% Elemental Weps just gained even more value, especially Swordsmanship ones because of Onslaught.

This comes up to a single char needing a lot of various weapons for specific reasons. Most of them require both a single target (DS/AI) and AoE (WW) variant.
100% Fire Undead Slayer.
100% Fire Arachnid Slayer.
100% Fire Spider Slayer (for Navery).
100% Cold Reptile Slayer
100% Cold Dragon Slayer
100% Energy Demon Slayer
100% Fire Demon Slayer (if you farm Crystal Daemons to make Crystal Dust for Gorgon Lens)
100% Fire Repond Slayer
100% Physical Elemental Slayer

Last edited:

Scribbles

Long Live The Players
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Let me translate for y'all,
" Yes it's changed and we have no idea why it did or how it was done,
were gonna say it was done on purpose thou so Mesanna don't hit us,
we'll let you know why 'we' changed it just as soon as we can think something up that sounds realistic,
aww nuts....Mesanna's gonna hit us with heavy spikey objects"

:tinhat:

hahahahahaha. Funny because its true.

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Many complain the monsters are to easy and that everythings soloable , maybe this is a move to solve that problem and save the hassle of upgrading all the game monsters.
I never was complaining about that, and I'm getting really tired of relearning the whole game every year or so, as complicated as it already.

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
  • Balance Update: Ninjitsu, Chivalry, and Bushido spells that are beneficial with a default cast time less than or equal to one second will reset swing timer
@Bleak : When does this reset take place? When you finish casting or when you start casting? Or the timer is reset as you cast and then kept stuck at 0 till the spell finishes casting?
Mostly wondering about this to determine if faster casting has an impact on this change, making the swing timer to go back to tick faster if you have FC on your suit.

Bleak

UO Software Engineer
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@Bleak : When does this reset take place? When you finish casting or when you start casting? Or the timer is reset as you cast and then kept stuck at 0 till the spell finishes casting?
Mostly wondering about this to determine if faster casting has an impact on this change, making the swing timer to go back to tick faster if you have FC on your suit.
The reset happens at the start of the cast. FC does not trigger this as it only looks at the default casting time.

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Thanks for the quick reply. No need to try to fit more FC on my suit then. :p

Parnoc

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The reset happens at the start of the cast. FC does not trigger this as it only looks at the default casting time.
Please tell us WHY this was done? Is someone gonna tell the monster that's hitting me, "Hey hold on for a tic or two while I cast a spell?" What purpose does this change have behind it, I do not understand and I sure don't like it. Many monsters now I have to run away from to heal that I never had to before because they are hitting me more, geez, comeon man, tell us something about why this change is so wonderful ---- and for who?

Last edited:

WhiteWitch

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
on my thrower with a 1.5 swing speed, if I hit the consecrate weapon button immediately after a swing it seems to barely impact the swing speed at all, probably would be noticeable if I had a 1.25 swing though :S

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
From what @Kyronix said it's not a bug it's a new feature... I'm not really liking it I mean by the time I cast it it don't last long enough anymore to be worthwhile.

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
It would be swell if the duration of consecrate weapon were to be increased by 1 second at least to accommodate this change better.

WhiteWitch

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
As this change has still not been explained, I'm thinking the guy a few posts back was possibly right - its actually an accident and they are busy working out a reason that sounds convincing as to how the change was "intentional".

IF it really is intentional the only thing I can think of is its a nerf on sampires, if that is the case they could just upscale the effect good karma has on duration of consecrate weapon, such as 20 seconds at 20k karma, 30 at 30k etc, this way they keep their sampire nerf as sampires use necro and have low karma, but it impacts genuine Paladins less.

It seems ridiculous to me that chivalry can function ok alongside necromancy in a template anyway.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Honestly i dont use cw on my samp. Armor ignore kinda negates its use. I do have 100% weapons for double strike but only one of each element. I just change the slayer property. I believe you can do that 20 times on each piece if im not mistaking.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Honestly i dont use cw on my samp. Armor ignore kinda negates its use. I do have 100% weapons for double strike but only one of each element. I just change the slayer property. I believe you can do that 20 times on each piece if im not mistaking.
I cant always chain ai, so I need it up most of the time, I also use df and a few others in combat frequently. Playing on siege my stats are always sub optimal, so I depend on these spells more than the usual player might, and I have officially died once now because of it, where I probably would not have before. So, yeah, kinda annoying.

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I find myself using consecrate weapon far less nowadays, despite the 15% multiplier bonus it comes with when you have 120 chiv.
The duration was already much too low, and with this change, it is even lower, as you will be at least 1.25 seconds in the spell when your next swing happen.

del55

Sage
Stratics Veteran
maybe we should start using chaos dmg weapons.

i was planning to make %100 fire weapons and enhance with valorite. maybe this works well

Lord Gandalf

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, I think the dev team should ask themselves: "Will this thing make the game more fun than before? Or will it make the game more tedious?"
... everytime BEFORE they're swinging the magical nerf stick.

I don't think this change means I'm having MORE FUN in game.
I think the main reason behind all this was to stop the mage archers combo, explo flamestrike and instant ai with a good timing.

They could have made this apply of magery spells only... But as we all know its easier and quicker to reset the swing speed timers on all spells, and now! dexers got owned :D

I am absolutely right
Rip chiv dexers!