• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Anyone but me seeing the consecrate weapon delay since publish?

Parnoc

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think the main reason behind all this was to stop the mage archers combo, explo flamestrike and instant ai with a good timing.

They could have made this apply of magery spells only... But as we all know its easier and quicker to reset the swing speed timers on all spells, and now! dexers got owned :D

I am absolutely right
Rip chiv dexers!
Why does it seem to me that almost all nerfs come from PVP? Do the devs think that they are the majority in the game? Let's face it, PVPers are the vocal majority, not the actual player majority, please devs, consider your daily dollars' people that are PVM and at least separate the two groups when you nerf something like this, it is making it extremely difficult to be a good archer in a PVM situation and yes it has taken a lot of the fun of the hunt out of the game for me and I'm sure many others just like me.

Lord Gandalf

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Why does it seem to me that almost all nerfs come from PVP? Do the devs think that they are the majority in the game? Let's face it, PVPers are the vocal majority, not the actual player majority, please devs, consider your daily dollars' people that are PVM and at least separate the two groups when you nerf something like this, it is making it extremely difficult to be a good archer in a PVM situation and yes it has taken a lot of the fun of the hunt out of the game for me and I'm sure many others just like me.
Its true, we got the quality, u got numbers, at the end of the day, u zergs go do whatever u like in tram collecting all the goods for us which we end up moving to fell where you shall not pass!

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Why is it in every mmo game that the melee char gets shafted all the time??
I loved playing my pure Paladin but now it's almost unplayable, and I downright refuse to put necromancy on a Paladin char!!!.
Looks like I'm gonna have to make myself hit weaker now by dropping another skill to take Healing to 120 now that I can't use Chiv as a reliable heal.

WhiteWitch

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Why is it in every mmo game that the melee char gets shafted all the time??
I loved playing my pure Paladin but now it's almost unplayable, and I downright refuse to put necromancy on a Paladin char!!!.
Looks like I'm gonna have to make myself hit weaker now by dropping another skill to take Healing to 120 now that I can't use Chiv as a reliable heal.
Melee chars don't get get shafted all the time in these sorts of game, in WoW its been a running joke for a long time how overpowered melee and hunters are vs casters, and its with pretty good reason that the majority of PvPers on Siege are melee/ranged(archer).

The chiv heal always stopped swings and was always a stand-still heal like mage ones with all the same vulnerabilities, its the spells that could be cast without interrupting swing that have been nerfed.

Currently in UO PvP warrior types have the advantage in that they can run and heal at the same time, and in the case of melee they can do damage while moving(so can chase down an opponent), mages have to stand still to heal or cast offensively. a warrior can almost always get away and reset a fight with a mage till he finally gets the RNG he needs.

As regards UO PvM, I haven't used a mage type for that in years so I have no real knowledge of how good that is, but the chiv archer and thrower I use for PvM seem to work very well indeed.

del55

Sage
Stratics Veteran
I think the main reason behind all this was to stop the mage archers combo, explo flamestrike and instant ai with a good timing.

They could have made this apply of magery spells only... But as we all know its easier and quicker to reset the swing speed timers on all spells, and now! dexers got owned :D

I am absolutely right
Rip chiv dexers!
well said, do it only for mages. nerfing especially chivalry is completely meaningless. weird.

I am pretty sure they'll have to undo this at least for chivalry.

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I did say Melee also, ranged is not melee.
I should have said PvM, but once again we hit the nail on the head.

Designers look at PvP first and foremost, PvM is an after thought of "oh well they will sort something out that works" mentality.

Without using super uber suits and necro skills, see how long you can stand still and heal while 2 tigers are chopming on you......yet a mage char can easily take the whole field with little to no care to themselves.
i'm starting to remember why I gave up playing a few years back now.....

WhiteWitch

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Designers always need to look at PvP balance first because NPC monsters cant complain its unfair.

Bear in mind we still don't actually have an official explanation for this change so we don't know its PvP related.

Parnoc

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have no problem with PVPers complaining and devs trying to keep PVP balanced. I just want it separated from PVM. We have Fel = PVP, Tram = PVM, 2 sets of rules already, I guess I don't understand why the nerfs have to be invoked on the whole population instead of the area that needs the fix if that truly is what this is for.
Yes, I know we don't know if this is PVP related but someone needs to tell us why it has been changed. My PVM archer is NOT a happy camper, his whole world has buckled in a little on him, he still manages but now there are a couple of places he really just can't go anymore because of the system changes and I think that is highly unfair.

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Same basic concept is what I was trying to get across...mages have to stop to cast....now everyone else has to as well. Stop swinging/shooting or stop moving to cast magic..it just makes sense.
Chivalry was original intended to not interrupt attacking.

Just another straw on the camels back.

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My money would be on it being a nerf targeted at the "sampire" template, I don't have one but they use chiv, bushido and necro right?
Someone mentioned it happening also with a bushido spell

Im not sure how important consecrate weapon(and the other previously non swing affecting spells) is to a sampire, but given their karma is low because of necro, the duration of consecrate has to be very short for them, 6 or 7 seconds maybe, trying to keep that up is going to seriously harm their DPS and thus their healing.
It's not--- you can make elemental weapons. And their karma is not low because of Necro--- the only Necro spell Sampires use is Vampiric Embrace.

And if this change was targeted at sampires, that pisses me off even more.

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As this change has still not been explained, I'm thinking the guy a few posts back was possibly right - its actually an accident and they are busy working out a reason that sounds convincing as to how the change was "intentional".

IF it really is intentional the only thing I can think of is its a nerf on sampires, if that is the case they could just upscale the effect good karma has on duration of consecrate weapon, such as 20 seconds at 20k karma, 30 at 30k etc, this way they keep their sampire nerf as sampires use necro and have low karma, but it impacts genuine Paladins less.

It seems ridiculous to me that chivalry can function ok alongside necromancy in a template anyway.
I am pretty sure the change was made because characters aren't supposed to tank anything and we all need to use greater dragons. There have been templates posted in the past couple of months in the warrior forum which use things like mirror image. This was targeted at them.

The whole thing is nothing but a bunch of ********. 100% natural straight from the bull's behind ********.

It started with the nerfing of Vampiric Embrace. Then, someone got upset because their Greater Dragon wasn't in demand any more- why should chivalry get full benefit from a spell with only 65 chivalry? Gee, I don't know, because almost every other spell in the game gives you full effectiveness just from being able to cast it? So, they completely revamp Chivalry. Did they change Magery because of the same reason? No, just chivalry.

You know what... evidently that wasn't enough to bring the dragons back to dominance... let's claim we are rebalancing the weapons and change all the damages.

And it goes on and on.... and now we are to this.

Melee characters (and PvPers) are the driving force in crafting. My tamer and mage characters are using the same suits I made for them right after imbuing came out. The lowest piece is 129/247. I play my tamer pretty often.

My sampire? I am almost through his 3rd suit.

So yes, let's keep nerfing and changing things until everyone is playing a tamer. Because that is what is balanced.

So yes, let's keep nerfing and changing things until everyone......
Let me rephrase: "until everyone gets tired of the endless nerfs, logs off with an annoyed temper."

:(

I agree with everything NuSair said.

I'd like to add:
Even if it is targetted at a specific template (sampire), I can't stress enough that this change obviously does not help people having fun in the game. I play a tamer far more often than I play a warrior, so it affects me less than other players. Do I feel better as a tamer? No. Do I feel better as a mage, do I think it is more balanced now? No. Consecrate is always a very tedious task with all the frequent recasts after every few seconds we need (hint: I'd like to see it stay on for 60+ seconds! Hell, let it be even 180 seconds and let the spell slowly drain some mana, equal to the mana we spend with the frequent recasting of the spell). Now it no longer lets us swing our weapons? Who benefits from that? Really, who?

On some days I really wanna pick up the phone, call Mesanna and tell her to give me the keyboard and the mouse... let ME handle some of the stuff. UO seems to need me. ;)

Last edited:

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I can see the reason for Close Wounds, Cleanse by Fire and Remove Curse preventing you from swinging while casting them, but Consecrate Weapon, Divine Fury and EoO? No. Chiv and Bush are what i refer to as "Martial Magic" skills, they're specifically meant to be used by a Warrior template during combat.

Con Wep just became worthless for anyone that uses a 100% Elemental Wep targeting their opponents weakest Resist. At least before the nerf, Con Wep would give you +15% Damage Modifier at 120 Chiv, but now you miss a swing in casting Con Wep. You'd have to hit at least 7 times during the duration of that Con Wep to make up for the damage of that missed swing (7x15=105), even at 120 Chiv. If you're below 120 Chiv with a 100% Elemental Wep that targets your opponent's weakest Resist, then Con Wep is never worth it.

Last edited:

Finley Grant

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
i play several chars with chiv, (i think i meantioned that before)

i also do 120 chiv + max karma for DF and all bonus for EOO and CW

its not only that it stops me swinging its also somehow get interrupted

i saw this now several times, you cast CW or DF you hear the sound but there is nothing in the buff bar and the bonus is not there
weird.

i still play my chars and is "OK" but its far away from good or nice. i just die more often....

btw have anyone noticed issues with the primers? i used a T3 and its showing me a T2 and one T3 is simply gone (no i didn loose it) its just not there.

@Kyronix do we have issues with the Primers? my Taming is now T2 after using a T3 and i miss a swords T3

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I can see the reason for Close Wounds, Cleanse by Fire and Remove Curse preventing you from swinging while casting them, but Consecrate Weapon, Divine Fury and EoO? No. Chiv and Bush are what i refer to as "Martial Magic" skills, they're specifically meant to be used by a Warrior template during combat.

Con Wep just became worthless for anyone that uses a 100% Elemental Wep targeting their opponents weakest Resist. At least before the nerf, Con Wep would give you +15% Damage Modifier at 120 Chiv, but now you miss a swing in casting Con Wep. You'd have to hit at least 7 times during the duration of that Con Wep to make up for the damage of that missed swing (7x15=105), even at 120 Chiv. If you're below 120 Chiv with a 100% Elemental Wep that targets your opponent's weakest Resist, then Con Wep is never worth it.
Yessir. I really don't think this was intended as a nerf at all. Like I said about that would make little sense, seeing as the supposedly nerfed class just also got some pretty massive buffs as the weapon masteries are some of the most useful. I honestly have a hard time believing that someone sat down and said "Let's make these spells that have never stopped your swing now stop your swing. That's a good idea." Cause I mean this isn't overpowered, it's literally been this way for 10+ years, and it's a chance that would obviously make a lot of people mad/incredulous. Probably the result of some other wider change, and this will just be a casualty of making it work.

As for all the "they just want everyone to be tamers" talk... it's kind of silly. Even with this change a well-equipped warrior is going to beat a G-dragon in most situation, and handily so in many. Dragons are more defensive, warriors are dramatically more offensive, and still very good often better defensively.

I DO find it annoying, and I DO wish they would change it back, and it HAS gotten me killed already, but honestly, it's not a huge issue. People will adapt.

The most annoying thing to me is a lack of explanation/documentation on a purposeful change that will obviously impact gameplay. Something like this, people should know before hand, and when changing something that is and has always been an intrinsic mechanic of a 12 year old skill... it requires an explanation/justification along with the heads up.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I mean, first of all, how has this change or any of the others you listed forced you to alter your suit? Hasn't changed mine, I've been using pretty much the exact same set of mods on my suit since forever, works just fine. Second of all... why is that a big deal? Having no insurance I have to make new suits all the time. It's not a big deal. The game is always, and has always been in a state of flux, you are simply going to have to expect that things will change, and the results will be more or less desirable relatively. Always remember you don't HAVE to change pretty much all of the time. As I have been preaching for years you don't NEED to be uber and have the best of the best perfect suit. The difference between best and decent are marginal and easily surmounted by bringing a friend along rather than going solo.

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I mean, first of all, how has this change or any of the others you listed forced you to alter your suit? Hasn't changed mine, I've been using pretty much the exact same set of mods on my suit since forever, works just fine. Second of all... why is that a big deal? Having no insurance I have to make new suits all the time. It's not a big deal. The game is always, and has always been in a state of flux, you are simply going to have to expect that things will change, and the results will be more or less desirable relatively. Always remember you don't HAVE to change pretty much all of the time. As I have been preaching for years you don't NEED to be uber and have the best of the best perfect suit. The difference between best and decent are marginal and easily surmounted by bringing a friend along rather than going solo.
What he was meaning with the suits was that, if they continue to force players to become Ranged or mage where no actual contact is done with the mobs.
ie anything that is NOT melee then suits will not be required as often as a ranged suit can last forever if treated well.
This was basically showing this "change" has other knock on effects than just SSI.

I agree with others, it's been 2 weeks since they said it was done on purpose and would "let us know why they did it" yet nothing has been mentioned since.......I can imagine they cringe at their laptops each time they see this thread back at the top of the forums like "aww nuts they haven't forgotten about this cock up yet".

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What he was meaning with the suits was that, if they continue to force players to become Ranged or mage where no actual contact is done with the mobs.
But that's not happening. With masteries like stagger, onslaught, the parry one where you divert half the targets damage.., I would stay melee characters will be near or at their strongest ever as soon as everyone gets level 3 books. Losing a swing to cast spells isn't a template killing change, it's just annoying. At worst it takes a little bit longer to kill something, or you die a bit more often, that's assuming you make no changes.

Honestly, I think it's much more of a nerf for people who play siege, and can't count on having the best stats for every situation who need to rely on spells like CW to do good damage.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yessir. I really don't think this was intended as a nerf at all. Like I said about that would make little sense, seeing as the supposedly nerfed class just also got some pretty massive buffs as the weapon masteries are some of the most useful. I honestly have a hard time believing that someone sat down and said "Let's make these spells that have never stopped your swing now stop your swing. That's a good idea." Cause I mean this isn't overpowered, it's literally been this way for 10+ years, and it's a chance that would obviously make a lot of people mad/incredulous. Probably the result of some other wider change, and this will just be a casualty of making it work.
Yep, i think it was the introduction of spellcast Masteries that messed with EoO/Divine Fury/Con Wep. Holy Fist in particular i think. Being able to still swing during the Holy Fist cast would've been overpowered, since with 120 Chiv/26k Karma/Lvl 3 Mastery, Holy Fist was doing 200 damage to Undead, and 30 damage to players on TC. So the devs probably tweaked some settings with Chiv spells, and it ended up messing with EoO, Divine Fury and Con Wep as well.

del55

Sage
Stratics Veteran
I am pretty sure the change was made because characters aren't supposed to tank anything and we all need to use greater dragons. There have been templates posted in the past couple of months in the warrior forum which use things like mirror image. This was targeted at them.

The whole thing is nothing but a bunch of ********. 100% natural straight from the bull's behind ********.

It started with the nerfing of Vampiric Embrace. Then, someone got upset because their Greater Dragon wasn't in demand any more- why should chivalry get full benefit from a spell with only 65 chivalry? Gee, I don't know, because almost every other spell in the game gives you full effectiveness just from being able to cast it? So, they completely revamp Chivalry. Did they change Magery because of the same reason? No, just chivalry.

You know what... evidently that wasn't enough to bring the dragons back to dominance... let's claim we are rebalancing the weapons and change all the damages.

And it goes on and on.... and now we are to this.

Melee characters (and PvPers) are the driving force in crafting. My tamer and mage characters are using the same suits I made for them right after imbuing came out. The lowest piece is 129/247. I play my tamer pretty often.

So yes, let's keep nerfing and changing things until everyone is playing a tamer. Because that is what is balanced.
exactly, lets keep nerfing everything until people play parry mages in pvp and GDs in pvm.

Lord Gandalf

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Devs should put UO fixes as a priority, its the exact same scenario everytime they come out with a new expansion... I really appreciate there efforts, and im very thankful for the new expansion, but bug fixes should be set as a priority!
I cant remember when was the last time uo.com had a bug fix list.
And btw what happened to UO bug forum?

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ok- I am guessing either you didn't read or understand my post.

Before the sampire became the flavor of the month, almost everyone used Greater Dragons to tank everything. It was so bad, that if you were in a fight, if you didn't have at least one, if not two dragons, then you couldn't even do the fight. In steps the sampire. Now, we have a character who can actually tank just about everything in the game. But, that was too powerful (ignoring how necro-bards were already soloing spawns--- yeah, didn't see those nerfed, did ya?)--- almost overnight most of the greater dragons disappeared and not only did you have sampires, but you had other character builds as well. Instead of there being like 5 people at a spawn and 4 being tamer with greater dragons.

So, they started nerfing. And kept nerfing, and nerf some more, and are still nerfing. I could easily type over a thousand words why all these changes are bad. The claim the devs make for balance makes no sense at all.

As for the change in armor. Since you didn't understand (or read)- I will dumb it down for ya. Sampires get hit. Even with 120 parry and 45 DCI, the armor gets damaged and needs repaired. Especially Wood armor. With GM being the top of carpentry- I would fail multiple times in repairing armor. It has nothing to do with changes, it has everything to do with the armor being so damaged, that after so many repairs, I have to remake it. But, for my tamer / mage / bard (it's been over 5 years, here is one of the post of the armor I made at the time [Imbuing] - Mage/Tamer Suit- the result ).

Five years and I haven't changed the armor. Not only haven't changed it, but most of the pieces are still higher than 250 in durability. I am sorry, but, there is something wrong with that. That is why I say sampires and PvP are the driving force in crafting. And all this misguided (trying to be nice here)- changes are reducing that.

If you are going to make it where characters cannot tank, then it will again become tamers online, with Greater Dragons (and now Dragon Turtles) ever where. Or Mystics and Rising Colossus.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So, they started nerfing. And kept nerfing, and nerf some more, and are still nerfing. I could easily type over a thousand words why all these changes are bad. The claim the devs make for balance makes no sense at all.
So you keep saying, but I think you are making a lot of assumptions. As someone who only has one character, a melee character for years now (who switched from a tamer log before GD's btw), the only "nerfs" I recall we have had were not being able to be in vamp embrace without real skill, which was perfectly reasonable, and this chiv change which I REALLY doubt was intended to nerf anyone, and really isn't that big of a deal. Weapon changes were needed, and actually made me stronger, armor changes made me stronger, masteries made me quite a bit stronger. Of course you may have had to change your approach to take advantage of these changes, but that's a personal choice, not a nerf.

As for the change in armor. Since you didn't understand (or read)- I will dumb it down for ya. Sampires get hit. Even with 120 parry and 45 DCI, the armor gets damaged and needs repaired. Especially Wood armor. With GM being the top of carpentry- I would fail multiple times in repairing armor. It has nothing to do with changes, it has everything to do with the armor being so damaged, that after so many repairs, I have to remake it. But, for my tamer / mage / bard (it's been over 5 years, here is one of the post of the armor I made at the time [Imbuing] - Mage/Tamer Suit- the result ).

Five years and I haven't changed the armor. Not only haven't changed it, but most of the pieces are still higher than 250 in durability. I am sorry, but, there is something wrong with that. That is why I say sampires and PvP are the driving force in crafting. And all this misguided (trying to be nice here)- changes are reducing that.
I guess don't really get the gripe here... melee characters get hit more, thus their armor gets more damaged, that's how it has always been. You've had to remake your suit 3 times in 5 years? Is that supposed to be terrible?

Do you want your characters who get his less to have increased item damage, or your characters who get hit more to have their items take less damage?

If you are going to make it where characters cannot tank, then it will again become tamers online, with Greater Dragons (and now Dragon Turtles) ever where. Or Mystics and Rising Colossus.
Well, they aren't doing that. This was an annoying, but fairly minor change, that I again seriously doubt was a targeted nerf, but rather, the unplanned/undesired result of a separate change.

The idea that sampires can't tank anymore just isn't correct, and I don't see any evidence they are trying to make it so, or why they would want to. If they wanted to nerf warriors tanking they would just do it, it wouldn't be a stealth change over 5 years or something. Honestly with the weapon and parry masteries, I can tank EASIER than before. Stagger is amazing, and lowers my damage taken a ton, add that with another warrior with the parry mastery, I don't see how you would die unless you were like, not looking at the screen.

Last edited:

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not everyone can roll in the super uber sampire suits.....those of us that just us bits were finding off mobs CANNOT tank anymore.
I used to use a pure Paladin for my Melee char but no longer. You just cannot keep healed now using chiv when its constantly being interrupted or stopping you from hitting said mob that's still able to hit / spellcast / heal at the same time.
I have had to remove spell resist now just to add Healing so I can use bandies as a source of healing....thus making me take more damage again from spells...ect.

No, this was a bad change that effects many more people than just the Uber elitist rolling in their 100mill+ suits.

Parnoc

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, we shouldn't have to be arguing about suits and nerfs and playstyles and
whatever else until we really find out what this is all about.
We should be told by the powers-that-be what in the hell is going on!!!!!!

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not everyone can roll in the super uber sampire suits.....those of us that just us bits were finding off mobs CANNOT tank anymore.
I used to use a pure Paladin for my Melee char but no longer. You just cannot keep healed now using chiv when its constantly being interrupted or stopping you from hitting said mob that's still able to hit / spellcast / heal at the same time.
I have had to remove spell resist now just to add Healing so I can use bandies as a source of healing....thus making me take more damage again from spells...ect.

No, this was a bad change that effects many more people than just the Uber elitist rolling in their 100mill+ suits.
Me personally my template is:

120 Mace, Tactics, Parry, Chivalry, 100 Necro, 90 Resists, 50 anatomy. Playing siege I only ever use imbued suits, which are very cheap and far from maxed stats (studded with LMC, mana/hp/stam +resists, and usually +13hci/dci +22% damage, +str/+int jewels) and the best shield I can find, and a plated pickle and I feel pretty comfortable in most situations. With Stagger I can solo anything under bosses including some of the blackthorn captains, with no issue, and can handle boss damage kiting if it has a slayer, and can usually tank if just one person will watch my life bar.

You could still play a pure paladin, 120 Wep, Tactics, Resist/Parry, Chiv, Anat, Heal. Use a hit life leech weapon, even not 100%, keep bandages going and I think you would be just fine. I'd recommend mace for Stagger to lower the physical damage you take. I don't see how it would be less effective than using just close wounds for healing before the change.

Like me, you couldn't solo most bosses, but with help you could tank for people if no GD or more geared sampire is around.

It IS a bad change, but not game ending or anything, you just need to change your approach, if they leave it in.

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I find this change particularly aggravating with consecrate weapon due to it's very short duration.
Sure, you can time the casting with your swing to try to compensate for that, which will often lead you to add 0.25 seconds of your next swing, which is not world ending, but it gets irritating and old pretty quick since I used to cast it very often, regardless of if I was wielding a 100% elemental weapon or not for the 15% multiplier.
Divine fury also suffers a bit from this, but alas, it lasts longer, and unless you were relying on the 15% HCI, 20% DI and the 10% SSI that comes with it. In this case, you will have to time the casting with your swings as well.

It is a very annoying change. It is not the end of the world, but it is bad that it was slipped without note in the publish and that we are yet to hear the reasoning behind this change.

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I agree it's not game ending, but it is game changing.
I now find I use my Myst/necro instead as that's the only way I can get loot rights at the champ spawns now.
Paladin just don't cut it at the spawns now.

@Mesanna this thread aint going away, you might as well try to explain your reasons for this.
Silence is just insulting to your playerbase, 2 weeks now waiting for an explanation and nothing.

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So you keep saying, but I think you are making a lot of assumptions. As someone who only has one character, a melee character for years now (who switched from a tamer log before GD's btw), the only "nerfs" I recall we have had were not being able to be in vamp embrace without real skill, which was perfectly reasonable, and this chiv change which I REALLY doubt was intended to nerf anyone, and really isn't that big of a deal. Weapon changes were needed, and actually made me stronger, armor changes made me stronger, masteries made me quite a bit stronger. Of course you may have had to change your approach to take advantage of these changes, but that's a personal choice, not a nerf.
No, not many assumptions. The chiv change was specifically targeted. It was because the popular sampire template at the time used 60 or 65 chivalry. And one of the comments was that a template shouldn't' get the full benefit of a spell / skill at such a low skill level. Which, given how UO is designed is preposterous. Chivalry was designed that way because there are so few spells.

Just how did the weapon change make you stronger? For me, they almost decimated my fencing sampire until the uprising caused them to at least make the leafblade decent after killing it. Even now, fencing continues to get the shaft (SSI for mastery? Really? At least that got changed, but the change isn't that much better).

I guess don't really get the gripe here... melee characters get hit more, thus their armor gets more damaged, that's how it has always been. You've had to remake your suit 3 times in 5 years? Is that supposed to be terrible?
Do I really have to spell out every little thing? Again- sampires and PvP characters are the driving force behind crafting. BECAUSE, once you make a suit for a tamer / mage / archer, ect- it's good for YEARS. At this current rate- unless there is a massive change to the game, my mages and tamers won't need another suit for least another 8 years. On the other hand, my sampire needs one about every 15 months or so. Which honestly is still too long of a time, but is better than 13 years. If you still don't understand the point, I can't help you.

Do you want your characters who get his less to have increased item damage, or your characters who get hit more to have their items take less damage?
Ummmm, I am bigger picture than that. It's not just about my characters. If it's just about changing something on my character, that's not a big deal. Honestly, this chivalry change doesn't affect me at all. On my fencing sampire I don't have chivalry. On my other 2 sampires, I am maxed out on everything without it, and really only use Chivalry for EoO. This is about the big picture- not just my characters.

Well, they aren't doing that. This was an annoying, but fairly minor change, that I again seriously doubt was a targeted nerf, but rather, the unplanned/undesired result of a separate change.

The idea that sampires can't tank anymore just isn't correct, and I don't see any evidence they are trying to make it so, or why they would want to. If they wanted to nerf warriors tanking they would just do it, it wouldn't be a stealth change over 5 years or something. Honestly with the weapon and parry masteries, I can tank EASIER than before. Stagger is amazing, and lowers my damage taken a ton, add that with another warrior with the parry mastery, I don't see how you would die unless you were like, not looking at the screen.
Yeah- they are.

You are making examples of your character and how it's affecting you. And picking out individual skills. Plus, you can't use two masteries at a time- and just jumping back and forth isn't optimal.

A change in spell casting that makes spells used in combat cause a delay or interrupt attacking that didn't use too? This has nothing to do with the several ninja sampire templates posted in the past couple of months... yeah right.

It doesn't effect me, so it's not that big of a deal is a short sighted argument and shows that you lack the ability to see things beyond yourself and how they affect the game and others.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No, not many assumptions. The chiv change was specifically targeted. It was because the popular sampire template at the time used 60 or 65 chivalry. And one of the comments was that a template shouldn't' get the full benefit of a spell / skill at such a low skill level. Which, given how UO is designed is preposterous. Chivalry was designed that way because there are so few spells.
Oh yeah, I forgot they changed how the chiv spells work, I personally think that change was also perfectly reasonable, just like the necro one. If there's no point in having over 60 in a skill... then it needs a redesign. Id like to add that people adapted to that change just fine, and were tanking and soloing just as well as they were before that change. You yourself noted that you don't even need chiv in many cases if you gear well enough. Sometimes "nerfs" are called for and reasonable when addressing balance issues.

It was THIS chiv change I was referring to being a targeted nerf, it may have been, but it seems silly to take a very small thing away, while giving very large boosts with masteries at the same time. That says to me it was not a considered and intentional attempt to weaken warriors, and it's an assumption to say that it is before the change is explained
Just how did the weapon change make you stronger? For me, they almost decimated my fencing sampire until the uprising caused them to at least make the leafblade decent after killing it. Even now, fencing continues to get the shaft (SSI for mastery? Really? At least that got changed, but the change isn't that much better).
I was a macer at the time, many mace weapons were slower and did the same damage as weapons of corresponding skills. I am sure some of the weapons people were using did end up doing less damage, but other ended up doing more. There clearly were weapons that were obviously better than other weapons and they were being used by everyone because of it. With the change you can now use more different weapons and be effective. It's wasn't JUST a nerf.

Do I really have to spell out every little thing? Again- sampires and PvP characters are the driving force behind crafting. BECAUSE, once you make a suit for a tamer / mage / archer, ect- it's good for YEARS. At this current rate- unless there is a massive change to the game, my mages and tamers won't need another suit for least another 8 years. On the other hand, my sampire needs one about every 15 months or so. Which honestly is still too long of a time, but is better than 13 years. If you still don't understand the point, I can't help you.
Dude, I get what you are saying, I got what you were saying in the first post, I just don't understand why you bring it up in a conversation about warriors supposedly being nerfed. It's always been that way. The only solution is to either make gear become worn independent of taking damage (like antique items or something) or have gear be indestructible.

Ummmm, I am bigger picture than that. It's not just about my characters. If it's just about changing something on my character, that's not a big deal. Honestly, this chivalry change doesn't affect me at all. On my fencing sampire I don't have chivalry. On my other 2 sampires, I am maxed out on everything without it, and really only use Chivalry for EoO. This is about the big picture- not just my character
The whole issue here is that people are either implying or outright accusing that the dev team is "nerfing" warriors, to the point that you can no longer play one, and thus have to move on to being a tamer or a caster. This chiv change was supposed to be an example of it. That's part of what we are talking about. The notion that people can no longer because of these changes tank monsters. I disagree. I think the fact that we have videos of a sampire soloing the Shadowguard roof is pretty good evidence of that not being true. No other class can do that. Of course not everyone is as uber as people who can do such things, or use that exact template, but that doesn't mean warriors cannot tank. They can tank just fine. You may have to change your former methods from time to time, but in an online game that just happens.

Yeah- they are.
We see people tanking bosses all the time, just as many as there ever were. Sampires are still the go-to boss soloing template, and with some of the mastery abilities they just got some pretty big boosts. Clearly they aren't.

You are making examples of your character and how it's affecting you. And picking out individual skills. Plus, you can't use two masteries at a time- and just jumping back and forth isn't optimal.
I was speaking of two people working in tandem, one with the parry mastery protecting the other guy using the mace mastery. I know everyone seems to only see a successful tank as one who can solo every boss... but I personally do not. Really the only template that CAN solo bosses are melee warriors and throwers of varying templates. There may be a few you can do with a GD or a RC, but most you cannot, or if you can it's dramatically less efficient.

A change in spell casting that makes spells used in combat cause a delay or interrupt attacking that didn't use too? This has nothing to do with the several ninja sampire templates posted in the past couple of months... yeah right.
Well, I have repeatedly said this is a bad change, just not part of a conspiracy to turn warriors into tamers. I don't even know that you are suggesting this, but other people very much are, which I think is silly.

It doesn't effect me, so it's not that big of a deal is a short sighted argument and shows that you lack the ability to see things beyond yourself and how they affect the game and others.
Well, I was never thinking of just myself, but of the hundreds of people who also are melee warriors that I see in game, the people I see make videos, the people who post here and on the warrior forum, yourself included... I also am combating the notion that the measure of being an effective warrior is soloing bosses. You are saying X is a nerf, period. I give you examples of myself, and I am sure not the only example of how it was either not just a nerf or not a serious or unreasonable one.

Bottom line the notion that warriors cannot tank is simply incorrect. With masteries, these chiv changes included you can tank easier than you could a month ago, using several different new methods. That's pretty hard to argue with if you ask me.

Alex"Drake Iron Heart"CS

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Its late at night and I am sitting here reading all these comments, but somehow I cant get out of my head that this had been a bug not intended, and all of them are just checking what we think to could of been the problem, to give us an explanation that might work... So really we are gonna be giving ourselves something posted in this thread.... or very similar...

At least make FC, FCR help with the delays, because it seems to have affected many templates , not just sampires....

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If this was an intended nerf to sampires it has fallen well short of it's target. I can't speak for other builds but sampire builds can still solo much of the current content. With that said, I always thought that it made sense that chivalry didn't interupt or pause your swing since it was a melee based magic. Apperantly all this time it was a bug... o_O

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Oh yeah, I forgot they changed how the chiv spells work, I personally think that change was also perfectly reasonable, just like the necro one. If there's no point in having over 60 in a skill... then it needs a redesign. Id like to add that people adapted to that change just fine, and were tanking and soloing just as well as they were before that change. You yourself noted that you don't even need chiv in many cases if you gear well enough. Sometimes "nerfs" are called for and reasonable when addressing balance issues.

It was THIS chiv change I was referring to being a targeted nerf, it may have been, but it seems silly to take a very small thing away, while giving very large boosts with masteries at the same time. That says to me it was not a considered and intentional attempt to weaken warriors, and it's an assumption to say that it is before the change is explained

I was a macer at the time, many mace weapons were slower and did the same damage as weapons of corresponding skills. I am sure some of the weapons people were using did end up doing less damage, but other ended up doing more. There clearly were weapons that were obviously better than other weapons and they were being used by everyone because of it. With the change you can now use more different weapons and be effective. It's wasn't JUST a nerf.

Dude, I get what you are saying, I got what you were saying in the first post, I just don't understand why you bring it up in a conversation about warriors supposedly being nerfed. It's always been that way. The only solution is to either make gear become worn independent of taking damage (like antique items or something) or have gear be indestructible.

The whole issue here is that people are either implying or outright accusing that the dev team is "nerfing" warriors, to the point that you can no longer play one, and thus have to move on to being a tamer or a caster. This chiv change was supposed to be an example of it. That's part of what we are talking about. The notion that people can no longer because of these changes tank monsters. I disagree. I think the fact that we have videos of a sampire soloing the Shadowguard roof is pretty good evidence of that not being true. No other class can do that. Of course not everyone is as uber as people who can do such things, or use that exact template, but that doesn't mean warriors cannot tank. They can tank just fine. You may have to change your former methods from time to time, but in an online game that just happens.

We see people tanking bosses all the time, just as many as there ever were. Sampires are still the go-to boss soloing template, and with some of the mastery abilities they just got some pretty big boosts. Clearly they aren't.

I was speaking of two people working in tandem, one with the parry mastery protecting the other guy using the mace mastery. I know everyone seems to only see a successful tank as one who can solo every boss... but I personally do not. Really the only template that CAN solo bosses are melee warriors and throwers of varying templates. There may be a few you can do with a GD or a RC, but most you cannot, or if you can it's dramatically less efficient.

Well, I have repeatedly said this is a bad change, just not part of a conspiracy to turn warriors into tamers. I don't even know that you are suggesting this, but other people very much are, which I think is silly.

Well, I was never thinking of just myself, but of the hundreds of people who also are melee warriors that I see in game, the people I see make videos, the people who post here and on the warrior forum, yourself included... I also am combating the notion that the measure of being an effective warrior is soloing bosses. You are saying X is a nerf, period. I give you examples of myself, and I am sure not the only example of how it was either not just a nerf or not a serious or unreasonable one.

Bottom line the notion that warriors cannot tank is simply incorrect. With masteries, these chiv changes included you can tank easier than you could a month ago, using several different new methods. That's pretty hard to argue with if you ask me.
The new masteries are nice however given the dramatic cool down times many are pretty much useless.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The new masteries are nice however given the dramatic cool down times many are pretty much useless.
Only the ones with cooldowns. Many of the best ones don't have one, like Stagger, Onslaught, etc.

WhiteWitch

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
In case anyone didn't notice, the patch notes have been updated:

Balance Update: Ninjitsu, Chivalry, and Bushido spells that are beneficial with a default cast time less than or equal to one second will reset swing timer.

This is presumably all the explanation that can be expected, so to all those people who have been complaining about the lack of balance in chiv for the last 13 years(approximately no one) can now rest easy :)

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In case anyone didn't notice, the patch notes have been updated:

Balance Update: Ninjitsu, Chivalry, and Bushido spells that are beneficial with a default cast time less than or equal to one second will reset swing timer.

This is presumably all the explanation that can be expected, so to all those people who have been complaining about the lack of balance in chiv for the last 13 years(approximately no one) can now rest easy :)
It's an explanation of what... but not of WHY, which is what everyone cares about. I think we already had the what figured out. :/

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Beneficial.......hmm so are these new changes going to apply to Necromancy too? The form changing states like Vamp form? I'd say that's pretty beneficial yet I can still use this while holding a weapon and everytime I'm near a mob hitting it, I'm healing myself with no "reset". Or for that matter Bushido where I can put a heal over time onto myself without dropping my weapon OR resetting my hits.

The nerf to Chivalry is complete bo**%£s and they haven't got the guts or the decency to admit they screwed up and can't fix it.

@Mesanna you need to be the Boss now and step in to answer WHY, this lack of info on the Devs part is not acceptable.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Beneficial.......hmm so are these new changes going to apply to Necromancy too? The form changing states like Vamp form? I'd say that's pretty beneficial yet I can still use this while holding a weapon and everytime I'm near a mob hitting it, I'm healing myself with no "reset". Or for that matter Bushido where I can put a heal over time onto myself without dropping my weapon OR resetting my hits.

The nerf to Chivalry is complete bo**%£s and they haven't got the guts or the decency to admit they screwed up and can't fix it.

@Mesanna you need to be the Boss now and step in to answer WHY, this lack of info on the Devs part is not acceptable.
Can you still swing while making mirror images? If not, I would probably place the blame there before I placed it on chiv. Again, would be great to know why.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Let's be realistic... If the Dev team wanted or cared what our feedback was on this issue it wouldn't have been kept a secret. The only reason the publish notes got updated after the fact was that we called them out on the change. TBH I am quite certain they knew in advance how unpopular the change would be, but decided in thier own infinite wisdom it was a good change after all these years... why keep it a secret if it was going to be well received??

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No, this isn't a shameful attempt to hide a post bump due to it's relegation to page 2.....
....I was just wondering if they gave the reason out yet or are still hiding like cowards behind silence?

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh my I didn't use a full-stop at the end of my last post.... :thumbsup: