NEWS [UO.Com] Atlantic Rollback

• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Viquire

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jun 5, 2008
Houston, Texas, Ya'll
www.kob.org
Also, hearing that some have had efforts on their behalf to have things corrected makes me think that we have done all the reverting anyone wants to do. The staff don't want to have to duplicate their efforts anymore than we do.

SoulWeaver

King of The Bearded Ladies
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Dec 16, 2007
Sosaria
Yeah I have a few characters stuck in this limbo thing im hoping they can maybe put a server down maintance in that will push all Limbo guys through or this could just be taking quite a while to get everyone out of limbo nevermind the ones that dont know they are or cant find the character that is in limbo.

Tangled Metal

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nov 4, 2009
My guess is this:

They reverted to a hard drive that was stable from before the hardware upgrade. They have a hard drive with the last 12 days on it but it is too corrupt for use. They do seem to be able to pull information off of it. That is why they are asking for information to prove that you xferred or bought a token or used a token or claimed a vet reward. When they made the hardware upgarde below it was probably a hard drive or multiple hard drives. In which case we are probably very lucky they had not thrown them out or erased them. Having worked in the IT field for many years, sometimes it is just impossible to retrieve all data off a corrupted hard drive. Sometimes you can get to some of the info but not all. With all the crashes in the past 2 weeks it looks to me like hardware failure was the cause. I am only guessing but I'll go with Occum's Razor here. Which seems more plausible: A few people on Atlantic were duping so they decided to revert a shard 12 days at the expense of all the players OR that hardware failure made it impossible to retrieve the data needed to have Atlantic back up and they had to revert to a previously used piece of hardware that had the last backup from the 5th? Just something to think on.

Extended Maintenance for Atlantic - 12/04

Posted by Tim Chappell | 2012 Dec 03 21:52 -0500 GMT​
Update: Due to some unforeseen technical issues, the upgrade for the Atlantic Shard has been delayed until tomorrow, December 5th at 5:00 am EST (10:00 GMT). At this time we anticipate that the shard will be back online no later than 8:00 am EST (13:00 GMT).

This is a reminder that we will be bringing the Atlantic shard offline tomorrow, December 4th, at 5:00 am EST (10:00 GMT) for a hardware upgrade.

At this time we anticipate that the shard will be back online no later than 10:00 am EST (15:00 GMT).

Please be sure to check back here for updates regarding this downtime.

Podolak

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jun 18, 2008
Catskills, UO
I agree the limbo is a bit of salt in the wound. Every time I log in I realize something else is missing or not done and that is painful enough. I am concerned about doing anything in the game right now still being there so I am just not. If anything was going to break my UO addiction this may be it.

Last edited:

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Aug 17, 2007
I was just on Atlantic and at that time was told that there had not been a server downtime yet, no one knows for sure if we have patch 80 there or if its coming, at least by what responses I got in general chat.
I don't think its been down still. Maybe it won't until tomorrow now. I hope it is saving at the moment though.

Viquire

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jun 5, 2008
Houston, Texas, Ya'll
www.kob.org
Just logged in to find the weaver I was working on up to 110. Now I can't quote dates but I am pretty sure that I didn't even start working my weaving until after the fifth. So, interesting.

Olahorand

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Feb 27, 2004
Germany
The information about shard transfers and vet rewards comes from a different server (at least for the vet rewards we know that from the last housing and vet rewards issues post), so accessing that information should not be the hardest problem.

Experimental

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jun 23, 2004
They do seem to be able to pull information off of it. That is why they are asking for information to prove that you xferred or bought a token or used a token or claimed a vet reward.
How do we prove this? I don't have the codes, I trusted the company. All I have is the translog, which may be useless anyway.
Even with the codes, who do we tell? Do we email Mythic?

Podolak

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jun 18, 2008
Catskills, UO
umm, i was speaking of before tram existed.
Those were fun days. Back in college you never knew what you would log in to when getting back from class. I think I only ever got studying done when the servers would go down but fortunately that was often enough to keep grades up!

Reactions: Barry Gibb

Viquire

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jun 5, 2008
Houston, Texas, Ya'll
www.kob.org
There are also folks working right now to reup subs that had been made inactive for the holidays so that houses do not get lost. These folks are leaders and house holders for guild buildings. I am not promoting a stasis on housing servers, but I am wondering how many others might be affected in this way.

SixUnder

Legendary Assassin
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nov 16, 2001
Ohio
Those were fun days. Back in college you never knew what you would log in to when getting back from class. I think I only ever got studying done when the servers would go down but fortunately that was often enough to keep grades up!
yep, i sold my first million in summer of 99 for 300.00, and now its worth .35 per 1 mill, kind of like the US economy eh?
i feel bad for those who honestly lost, what they worked for, gold etc. we have ALL been hosed, as someone stated before i lost almost 3 billion during magincia release, guess how much i got back? nothing.
They do not care, and can not change policy. If they were to give everyone items and gold back etc., they would have to answer to every email and complaint. Just how it is.

Warpig Inc

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jul 2, 2008
LS
Learned long ago when game locks and reverts was common place. After any major change there is limbo time. Few weeks time to gather, fish and fill BODs. Test what is new that has no major use of what I value. Messing with houses or making big trades just is not in the cards. There is what is new to make an early profit that also little later becomes common place. A gamble. UO has a personality or ghost in the machine. Until the dust has settled, nothing gets handled that I would miss. Still going to be a few weeks before I even mess with my courtyard. And still longer before I place something like a garden shed there. I test and loose at times. I just remember the golden rule on what is lost.

SixUnder

Legendary Assassin
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nov 16, 2001
Ohio
Learned long ago when game locks and reverts was common place. After any major change there is limbo time. Few weeks time to gather, fish and fill BODs. Test what is new that has no major use of what I value. Messing with houses or making big trades just is not in the cards. There is what is new to make an early profit that also little later becomes common place. A gamble. UO has a personality or ghost in the machine. Until the dust has settled, nothing gets handled that I would miss. Still going to be a few weeks before I even mess with my courtyard. And still longer before I place something like a garden shed there. I test and loose at times. I just remember the golden rule on what is lost.
amen

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jan 5, 2001
SO is it safe to play? The rest of us would like to know if there is going to be a full
shard revert? And maybe shed some light on to what happened...I play on Atlantic as well as
my home shard and
lost a few items I had bought, not like some of the other players..but play time is limited
and I am sure most of us would not like to redo it. So please Mesanna at least say
yes or no to a shard wide revert.
Thanks
A full shard revert was never feasible anywhere but in the minds of the people who transfered characters. There was no way several thousand players were going to be put through an unnecessary process for the sake of a couple of hundred or so. Especially when records existed from which to restore lost characters without going to that extreme.

Picus at the office

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nov 24, 2009
Getting out of my troll cave
A full shard revert was never feasible anywhere but in the minds of the people who transfered characters. There was no way several thousand players were going to be put through an unnecessary process for the sake of a couple of hundred or so. Especially when records existed from which to restore lost characters without going to that extreme.
And you are sure that this is the case? They can just revert those characters to the moment before they left and then restore all the lost items? Why was this not done for the magincia event?

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Aug 10, 2010
Napa Valley
If they HAVE the ability why hasn't it been used before?? About two years ago I did a transfer and about half my stuff poofed. I spent days working through GM and phone support staff to be told it was a known bug, too bad so sad. I am certain I am not the first or the last... So they have a way to see what was transferred but screwed everyone in the past but this time it will be done? If that is true I want my transfer losses replaced.

Vor

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nov 2, 2003
England
I wasn't affected badly. 25m maybe. Nothing to right home about.However, it's what.. 10:30am local time for the devs? An update would go a long way to calming people down. Very surprised it's been so long.

Last edited:

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 21, 2008
Yes, we have, there are things they can post that don't need to go through legal- we have been down this road before.

Reactions: Viquire

Leather Lucy

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Mar 30, 2004
UK
where talking about the same customer support team right?
hehehehe
:stir:
I must admit I've come to expect a certain level of ignorance on the Dev team's part over the years, sad but true. They notoriously blank us when a comforting (or otherwise) word is often needed. This time, I really think they should be trying a little harder on the whole communication thing.

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 21, 2008
Not every post, every update, each comment has to get approved. In general things that need legal approval are possible guarantees, things the company could possibly be held libel for or that they could be considered contractually obligated to provide.

Tangled Metal

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nov 4, 2009
NuSair, Every singe post of your I read is in the Mannequin Skywalker Whiny voice in my head.... Just sayin'

By the way, I LOVE the irony of your Signature.

Last edited:

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 21, 2008
NuSair, Every singe post of your I read is in the Mannequin Skywalker Whiny voice in my head.... Just sayin'

By the way, I LOVE the irony of your Signature.
doh!

Maybe it's time to change the avatar....

Bob the Merchant

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Apr 2, 2012
If they HAVE the ability why hasn't it been used before?? About two years ago I did a transfer and about half my stuff poofed. I spent days working through GM and phone support staff to be told it was a known bug, too bad so sad. I am certain I am not the first or the last... So they have a way to see what was transferred but screwed everyone in the past but this time it will be done? If that is true I want my transfer losses replaced.
Your stuff poofed because you failed to do one thing before you left...say "all follow me". This was AFTER you were warned about it several times by your own e-friends. When YOU ended up on the other shard WITHOUT your packies, you immediately began to blame everyone else but yourself. You took things one step further by wasting the time of EA employees with your wrongful sense of entitlement. My issue here...you are trying to show similarity between what happened to you and what is going on with this publish. One is your fault, the other a bug.

Reactions: The Zog historian

The Predator

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Aug 29, 2012
I just would not even bothering playing right now until we can get some more OFFICIAL communication on the stability of Atlantic, and if there is any inclination of doing a total shard revert. Why waste any more time, since two weeks have already vanished.

Also, considering EA just pissed off the largest facet of their North East customer base (the largely popualted Atlantic shard) --- they may want to reconsider how they are going to compensate us, as a 30 day time code does not make the cut.

Gameboy

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jul 25, 2008
Tucson, AZ
When I got home and saw what happened I was really upset. I lost a small home 9x14 and a lot of skill gains. After reading all of this I am going to right it off as a small loss and keep moving forward.

Reactions: Leather Lucy

Queen Arya

Rares Fest Host | Atl Sept 2011 & June 2013
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Oct 30, 2009
Awards
Stuck on a rock somewhere in Felucca
I transferred several times after Dec 5th. I logged on yesterday to those toons and they were in a completed transfer mode back on Atlantic from the shards I transferred from with the items.
You may want to check your transfer toons and the people you gave items to have transferred for you. I believe the items are still here.
I doubt my accounts were the only ones that made it thru this disaster. Do some research first.
If you used a reputable person to transfer your items or sold goods to, you should be ok.

Reactions: LadyElizabeth

Leather Lucy

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Mar 30, 2004
UK
When I got home and saw what happened I was really upset. I lost a small home 9x14 and a lot of skill gains. After reading all of this I am going to right it off as a small loss and keep moving forward.
Well the house behind the one at Minoc Moongate dropped last week and wasn't replaced as of the revert so that may well happen again soon (?) It 'appeared' that the previous owner placed again somewhere else and just let that one go through the stages. I'm sure it's around 9x12ish, I know it's not great but it's a start :).

Gameboy

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jul 25, 2008
Tucson, AZ
Well the house behind the one at Minoc Moongate dropped last week and wasn't replaced as of the revert so that may well happen again soon (?) It 'appeared' that the previous owner placed again somewhere else and just let that one go through the stages. I'm sure it's around 9x12ish, I know it's not great but it's a start :).
I found another 9x14 home in about the same area as my last home. So all in all I just lost some skill points. I enjoy working on skills and it's not taming so I am good. Just looking for the silver lining. I just don't have as much to loose as so many others. My account is about 52 months old. I just came back AGAIN. I have MAYBE 500,000 gold if that. I've spent most of my time just working on skills when I play. I never really collected stuff, never owned a BIG home, but I'm content with that. Though someday I would like the big home :D someday.

Coco_Zamis_DF

Lore Keeper
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dec 23, 2008
Well,
sad for all the work and gold a lot of people lost. My deepest sympathy goes to you and i hope you will stay.
A full revert seems to be a solution. But then others players will also be affected. And one thing, the backup time of the shards aren't always the same. So you cannot get a Status Quo. Some stuff and maybe chars will stay lost like a "mv atlantic /dev/nul". You cannot satisfy everyone with a 90% solution.

I as a developer and also administrator, yes i can destory an application in different ways, have often tell my customers: Restoring and checking a database backup should be part of a backup strategie. That is the main fault what happens.
And yes, EA should give more than a bunny bag as compensation. I know a lot of them will have a dark christmas time.

MedeaDF

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 12, 2008
Drachenfels
uoforum.de
Wow. Just wow. I really don't know how to say, but it should be obvious by now that this is a simple, pure disaster (and surely it is also for the Dev Team).

But it can't be solved on the spot right now, o, patience, young ones. Even if you're shaking with rage and if it's the end of the world (no joke intended... maybe) for you, the (virtual) world will still be here tomorrow.

I was really "lucky", I tried to (shard shield) transfer from some shards to Altantic between the 11th and 13h, but couldn't.

I'm really sorry for all who lost heaps of stuff, but I'm sure the Dev Team will come up with... something.

*fails to find more comforting words* :(

Thor VII

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Aug 15, 2008
Asgard
I went atlantic day 2 dec with some stuff with me & other things I ask friends to help me out. Place a house (umbra) day 12/12/2012 put a vendor and start sell my stuff and ofc buying in shard too. Now I have no house (btw someone already place one in my spot) no vendor, no char, nothing. All poof. Friend who come with his items and mine also vanished.
Wondering now why i not stay quiet and chill in my old shard :(
Take care all & God bless you
Apologize my poor english

cazador

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Aug 30, 2010
CT
I contacted a GM explained my situation and he said this..

We cannot give any items back for that we are sorry..but we can however give you 30 days free time :)

I said we'll is there no way to check what rewards have been claimed in my history to see that I'm not lying about an account bound item

He then replied I can apply the 30 days free game time to this account and it takes like 2 weeks or something to show up

I said ok well what about my soulstones

He said anything else I can help you with today

I said yea tell me what to do about my soulstones

He said ok well safe travels and thank you for playing Ultima Online and prompty ended gm chat

*slow clap* well played!!

Leather Lucy

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Mar 30, 2004
UK
I went atlantic day 2 dec with some stuff with me & other things I ask friends to help me out. Place a house (umbra) day 12/12/2012 put a vendor and start sell my stuff and ofc buying in shard too. Now I have no house (btw someone already place one in my spot) no vendor, no char, nothing. All poof. Friend who come with his items and mine also vanished.
Wondering now why i not stay quiet and chill in my old shard :(
Take care all & God bless you
Apologize my poor english
Aww :( If you decide to make a fresh character, go to the shop at Minoc Moongate, get a LRC suit and some spellbooks and whatever you need, send me a message on here telling me how much you spent and I'll get it to you. I'm too wary of doing anything of much consequence at the minute, so I'm gonna go mooch about for a house spot for you, I'll mark anything I come across, let me know if you want them.

Cheers

Reactions: Tazar

Rya.II

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Nov 19, 2012
I am so sad...
I lost both of my houses I managed to find my dream spots within the last 2 weeks. I had holidays so I spent almost the whole time in uo decorating the 2 houses and it was a big thing. people who got a glimpse of the deco were astonished. I wanted to make a housewarming the coming weekend.
Plus I lost about around 300m, one character, a mythic token, a green soulstone token...etc etc.

But actually I just want my houses back, I already had to redo the custom one twice due to the latest customization bugs and I was so happy that I was done...and now its all gone.

To the people who say...ah come on its just pixel...
Its a hobby - one of the most profitable, fastest growing ones....the gaming industry is making billions from us all and still they try to negate the responsibility when it comes to such an event like this now.
Its always due to unforseen problems etc etc...well uo is not some f2p, new, small game...and its not a small gaming studio behind it!

We all put money and time into our hobby and it doesnt matter if its online and generated through pixel!
Its the same as if someone would collect those small trains and build a whole city around it, doing every detail with a lot of passion and enjoying it.
And then suddenly someone comes and smashes everything, looking around then and saying "Oh I am so sorry, but hey its not the real trains you know, so here have 2 theater tickets for 15$ and go watch some train movie!"

I don't think anyone would say...yeah not a big thing...wasnt the reala trains that got damaged/destroyed.

I think its time for the gaming industry to act responsible with virtual goods people are interacting with, spending their time with and money on them!

Its the first time now in all the years I am gaming...started online on AOL with legends of kesmai when Ultima Online wasnt even in the making...
that I am afraid to log in because I know that everything is gone!

And I am afraid now to do anything because maybe next week there is another revert or there is one in a month...who knows!

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Aug 10, 2010
Napa Valley
Your stuff poofed because you failed to do one thing before you left...say "all follow me". This was AFTER you were warned about it several times by your own e-friends. When YOU ended up on the other shard WITHOUT your packies, you immediately began to blame everyone else but yourself. You took things one step further by wasting the time of EA employees with your wrongful sense of entitlement. My issue here...you are trying to show similarity between what happened to you and what is going on with this publish. One is your fault, the other a bug.
You got this information regarding my transfer from where? You source is very misinformed.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
May 26, 2008
Texas
I wasn't affected badly. 25m maybe. Nothing to right home about.However, it's what.. 10:30am local time for the devs? An update would go a long way to calming people down. Very surprised it's been so long.
This.
I don't think anyone expects the devs to come on and have a lengthy conversation. But a couple of minutes to drop in and say something...other than soon, of course, would go a ways toward cooling some people off. As of right now, there's never been anyone telll us that there won't be a worldwide revert. In fact we know nothing, other than atl players are gonna get a free month. *shrugs*

Again, it's not the problem, it's the communication after!

Reactions: Mentiras and Vor

Penana Car

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Aug 8, 2010
I contacted a GM explained my situation and he said this..

We cannot give any items back for that we are sorry..but we can however give you 30 days free time :)

I said we'll is there no way to check what rewards have been claimed in my history to see that I'm not lying about an account bound item

He then replied I can apply the 30 days free game time to this account and it takes like 2 weeks or something to show up

I said ok well what about my soulstones

He said anything else I can help you with today

I said yea tell me what to do about my soulstones

He said ok well safe travels and thank you for playing Ultima Online and prompty ended gm chat

*slow clap* well played!!
A Blizzard GM would've looked into your account history and restored everything. Not trying to fuse a debate because there is no debate, just saying. :D

Reactions: NuSair

Gameboy

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jul 25, 2008
Tucson, AZ
A Blizzard GM would've looked into your account history and restored everything. Not trying to fuse a debate because there is no debate, just saying. :D
Playing WoW on and off for 8 years I have known people to have there items restored with little to no problem.

Reactions: Spiritless

Rimeny

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Mar 23, 2009
Vesper, Europa.
I have paged 6 times now since last night.....not one response. Being that my items were account bound shard shield & soul Stones its not as if I'm wanting items back for selling.

Last edited:

Madrid

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 16, 2008
I have paged 6 times now since last night.....not one response. Being that my items were account bound shard shield its not as if I'm wanting items back for selling.

The lack of communication is frustrating. It be nice to hear what is being planned for players who transferred to Atlantic during that time period. I currently have 7 characters filled on the roster on Atlantic where I transferred. I had to delete a character in order to make the transfer. Even if it was within their means How can they restore that transfer?

Some clarification and explanation on how this will play out is certainly in order.

Prawn

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 14, 2011
I paged a GM this morning and he promptly told me to "Bug someone else about lost items, we do not have time to deal with it and we don't have access or records of what you had. Sorry but this is one of the biggest issues we have had with the Ultima Online program"

I laughed.

Acid Rain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I trust my Dev Team. If this is what needed to happen then it needed to happen. This thread isn't what I expected to see after spending 12hrs in airports and planes, getting to my destination for the holidays, and logging on my laptop. Yes, it sucks badly but again..... I trust this is what needed to happen.

I'm 100% certain this decision and action was not taken lightly. Again, I trust my Dev Team. I checked my vendors and I did not go unscathed. Aside from a dexer suit which took me weeks to build, burning around 50k leather for 2 pieces (VERY specific pieces) - I checked vendors and I'm out around 200m.

I wish everyone the very best of holidays and please try to keep things in perspective. At the end of the day, this is just a game we all enjoy and sometimes games(like life) don't go the way we want.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS EVERYONE, ESPECIALLY THE DEV TEAM !

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.