• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Do You Want A Classic Shard??

Do you want a Classic UO shard?

• Total voters

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sorry if I missed something (and no this isn't a dig, but a broader question.. I've read maybe half the entries in this thread and probably missed a lot!).. but why is it that you say that your efforts are likely completely in vain? I've gathered that you are against the idea of a classic shard, but I have yet to see someone formulate a rational, reasonable argument *against* creating a classic shard(s).
I've done that many-a-time.

The issue isn't my argument, it's that folks who have their minds made up that they want one don't accept any argument as being "rational" or "reasonable."

I posted my argument multiple times in this thread, and multiple times in other threads.

I really should compose it off-line and just copy/paste it whenever this issue comes up, but that really just doesn't feel right, for reasons I can't quite explain.

The short version of the argument is thus.

A classic shard would be a wasted effort, a waste of time and resources.

It is likely to fail on its own premises, because there is no agreement among its supporters as to what "classic" would be. People say there is a common thread: Pre-AoS. But then Morgana or whatever (I honestly forget the name because I have that poster on ignore) comes along and states that any shard that isn't pre-Trammel would be "crap" (that poster's word, not mine). That poster then outlines a set of rules that combines elements of several eras in UO's history, creating not a "classic" rules set but a "custom" rules set, and deems it to be a "classic" shard.

It is also likely to fail on its own premises, because there's no real evidence that anywhere near the number of players that are alleged to return would, actually, return. The largest estimates are based on the player base of the PvP-oriented free shards; the assumption is that every player on a free shard would come back to UO, and pay for it, if EA would make a custom rules shard. However, there is a glaring hole in that logic, which most people can, I'm sure, figure out. The key words are "free" and "every."

It is likely to require far more effort than its supporters would suggest. The odds that players will simply play the new, custom rules shard and forget about or simply accept the bugs and dupes that were present back then are exactly zero. There will be constant calls to fix this, and fix that...The Ice Dungeon dupe. The zero-spell damage bug.

There will also be calls to fix the imbalances that existed back then. And, yes, there were imbalances back then. Deadly poison could be extremely powerful in PvP, and even in PvM to a lesser extent, and weapons such as katanas and broadswords could be deadly poisoned. I recall no way mages could cast faster than normal (about equivalent to today's 2/3 or 2/4), thus leading to dexers being really powerful. Very few parry-mages, and no spell-channeling shields (so they'd have to equip the shield, block a few blows, then drop the shield to cast). So, while warriors could have GM Resist and lower spell damage significantly, it was a lot harder for mages to block the hard steel of a katana.

Anyone remember when axers, or then later macers, were considered over-powered? Anyone remember when archers first were over-powered, then nerfed into existence?

Classic shard players won't stand for these imbalances...How do I know this? Because the players back then did, in fact, complain about the imbalances.

Will they stand for the lack of content? Would they want every scenario and every new map to be added to the classic shard? I'm willing to bet at least half would.

There'll be a lot of whining for very few players, and EA will have another set of rules to deal with.

And how do I know this will happen? Because it has. Look at Siege. A small population that's very loud and manages to inject themselves into nearly every discussion, and mostly have their way on the boards.

I guess this wasn't so short, and it definitely isn't a well-put-together, organized argument. This is because I hadn't expected to write it, I'd wanted to write a one-sentence summary and then just kept on writing.

Oh and why do I think my efforts are wasted? Because I'm increasingly certain that this is going to happen. The custom shard supporters are loud, and greatly over-represented on these boards, and that's who gets their way in Western culture. The squeaky wheel gets the grease and all that.

-Galen's player

M

Michael Wolf

I thought Stratics policy was to lock these classic shard threads.. In case Anyone forgot, the Devs have stated many times, "Can't be done" no matter how many of us would like it nor how many Devs would like to do it, simply can't be done. The old code is long gone.

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I thought Stratics policy was to lock these classic shard threads.. In case Anyone forgot, the Devs have stated many times, "Can't be done" no matter how many of us would like it nor how many Devs would like to do it, simply can't be done. The old code is long gone.
Stratics changed its policy.

And I am nearly-certain that, behind the scenes, EA has changed its. I've been wrong about them before, so hopefully I'm wrong again.

But my guess: We'll see a custom-rules set shard announced with Stygian Abyss.

-Galen's player

M

MuffinBear

Why couldn't it be done? There are several private "classic" (pre UOR) servers that are hosted and they are even more crowded than the official UO servers.

So....abunch of amateurs can host classic servers but Electronic Arts can't?

M

Michael Wolf

Why couldn't it be done? There are several private "classic" (pre UOR) servers that are hosted and they are even more crowded than the official UO servers.

So....abunch of amateurs can host classic servers but Electronic Arts can't?

EA didn't save the old code which has since been changed completely. The only option would be to get the code from one of the "private" servers and I'm not so sure that would be a great idea. This game has enough problems on it's own, do you want to trust server code that has been floating around the internet for 6 of 7 years since it was an official version?

Amren

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So what should the devs be doing anyway?

We have an expansion that has been in development for almost 2 years now and still no ETA on when we will even see a alpha/beta test for...

The "content" patches are non-existent outside of some lame events that all end the same (mobs attack towns, people farm them for a bit), if you are lucky you can get "involved" in some EM events I guess.

The "bug fixing" patches are few and far-between. I seriously don;t think all the major issues are resolved, nor the smaller issues.

So it seems like the devs are wasting their time as it is, because this game is certainly not getting any better as is.

I wonder how a poll would go if people were asked what they rather wanted: pre-uor server or the Stygian Abyss expansion.,,,

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So what should the devs be doing anyway?

We have an expansion that has been in development for almost 2 years now and still no ETA on when we will even see a alpha/beta test for...

The "content" patches are non-existent outside of some lame events that all end the same (mobs attack towns, people farm them for a bit), if you are lucky you can get "involved" in some EM events I guess.

The "bug fixing" patches are few and far-between. I seriously don;t think all the major issues are resolved, nor the smaller issues.

So it seems like the devs are wasting their time as it is, because this game is certainly not getting any better as is.

I wonder how a poll would go if people were asked what they rather wanted: pre-uor server or the Stygian Abyss expansion.,,,
lol

Here, of course the pre-UOR would win. I, and those who agree with me I'd suspect, for the most part have only one Stratics account and thus can only vote once.. Also, here on Stratics you're all over-represented relative to the player base.

You say the content patches are non-existent except for......Content.

Content doesn't mean content you and the other popular kids in school are specifically interested in. It means content. And you're not the only ones playing. (In fact, if half of your claims are true, most of you aren't actually playing at all at the moment, but will somehow come back in droves when this thing is released, eager to pay $15 or so a month for a game you currently play for free on player-run free shards.)

See, as someone who opposes the custom shards you're all proposing....I see those as the waste of time. You don't like content, so you see content as a waste of time. It's a matter of preference. Your preferences don't determine objectivity.

I've tried my best to outline the objective arguments why this is a dumb idea. I hope my arguments are incorrect though, because a custom rules set shard is, I feel, very likely.

However, at the core of my argument is something I totally admit is non-objective: I wouldn't prefer such a shard.

An example of something I don't prefer but also didn't argue against was the Slime Event. This was a popular, oft-requested event, and people had a lot of fun with it. I didn't prefer it, but I didn't argue against it because I felt it'd be largely successful, and it seems to have been.

This custom shard, on the other hand, there's every objective reason to think will be a complete waste of time. Most of you who support it are arguing for it not because it'd be a good idea but because you prefer it.

-Galen's player

M

MuffinBear

They should make a classic shard, the reason? I want a classic shard and so do alot of other players.

C

CORRECTUO

Obviously not a question of can they afford it.
the question, is what era of UO, and like siege,
can they take time to manage it progressively or not.
or should they even.
Which Era? Thats simple. It doesnt get any better than T2A. It was by far the most stable and balanced era.

Can they take the time to manage it progressively? That depends on how far they want to progress the classic server. Of course it could never have AOS content in it, nor should it ever. How far should they progress the classic server? To T2A, and maybe add in Ilsh later, possibly. But beyond that, no. No trammel, no Malas, no Tokuno Islands. Just Britannia/Sosaria, the lost lands, and maybe Ilsh, but only because it doesnt ruin the Medieval European theme UO was built on.

All the game would need is fixes to certain key features, such as adding in the skill and stat controls for players and some of the other issues of that day. Since these issues are familiar, they should be rather simple to deal with.

C

CORRECTUO

I've done that many-a-time.

The issue isn't my argument, it's that folks who have their minds made up that they want one don't accept any argument as being "rational" or "reasonable."

I posted my argument multiple times in this thread, and multiple times in other threads.

I really should compose it off-line and just copy/paste it whenever this issue comes up, but that really just doesn't feel right, for reasons I can't quite explain.
Its because every time you post your so called argument, its defeated time and time again.

The short version of the argument is thus.

Oh, as opposed to what they are doing now? Let see, the EA devs are failing to fix UO after the years of wrecking it with imbalancing artifacts, power scrolls, and other WoWish add-ons that have done nothing but ruin the game.

No, a waste of time and resources is continuing on the path UO is on now. And the proof is all there. Just look at the past couple of years. Subs have plummeted, player unrest is through the roof, speek hackers and cheaters dominate everything. Oh yes, the current course UO is on is soooooo much better than it was back in the old days. (EXTREME SARCASM ALERT!!!!!)

It is likely to fail on its own premises, because there is no agreement among its supporters as to what "classic" would be. People say there is a common thread: Pre-AoS. But then Morgana or whatever (I honestly forget the name because I have that poster on ignore) comes along and states that any shard that isn't pre-Trammel would be "crap" (that poster's word, not mine). That poster then outlines a set of rules that combines elements of several eras in UO's history, creating not a "classic" rules set but a "custom" rules set, and deems it to be a "classic" shard.
Pre-Trammel is Classic. That was how UO started. It is its core, its heart, its soul. Its not the players faults that certain fixes were applied after Trammel was implimented, fixes that should have been put in sooner, but werent.

The general consensus is that a T2A server, or Pre-Trammel, is the idea era for a classic server.

It is also likely to fail on its own premises, because there's no real evidence that anywhere near the number of players that are alleged to return would, actually, return. The largest estimates are based on the player base of the PvP-oriented free shards; the assumption is that every player on a free shard would come back to UO, and pay for it, if EA would make a custom rules shard. However, there is a glaring hole in that logic, which most people can, I'm sure, figure out. The key words are "free" and "every."
No one ever said ALL of the free shard players would come back, but a vast majority would. The free servers have been around for about as long as UO has. People have played BOTH P2P servers and free servers at once. There is nothing stopping them from doing so again.

However, here is the basis of the logic for the return of those free shard players to an EA server, a logic that you FAIL to recognize. Free servers are bugged hacker playgrounds. They are high risk for ID theft and PC health. But people, especially old UO players, play them. Why? Because it is those free servers that offer the UO era they want to play. Are those people happy they have to play on such high risk servers? No. If EA could offer a stable, secure CLASSIC rule set server, then the players would come back.

And they wouldnt come back from just the free shards, these players would come back from WoW, LoTRO, AoC, WAR, EvE, Darkfall, EQ2, and many others. if you actually played on any of these games and actually talked to the players, you'd be surprised how many of them are old UOers who would come back, even to a 2d game.

You see, youre problem is that you dont know what makes a game good. Youre of that Pixle crack addict generation of MMO players who think that the shiny neon carrot on a stick is all there is to a game. You know nothing of immersive content, the freedom to make your own path without a ton of lame quests to lead players from one amusement park attraction to another. A game where to had to make your own quests, your own rules, and your own story to follow.

That is why you will never understand what made UO good. Its also why you will never understand why people will come back.

It is likely to require far more effort than its supporters would suggest. The odds that players will simply play the new, custom rules shard and forget about or simply accept the bugs and dupes that were present back then are exactly zero. There will be constant calls to fix this, and fix that...The Ice Dungeon dupe. The zero-spell damage bug.
All of which are known bugs the developers could EASILY fix before the release of the Classic server.

There will also be calls to fix the imbalances that existed back then. And, yes, there were imbalances back then. Deadly poison could be extremely powerful in PvP, and even in PvM to a lesser extent, and weapons such as katanas and broadswords could be deadly poisoned. I recall no way mages could cast faster than normal (about equivalent to today's 2/3 or 2/4), thus leading to dexers being really powerful. Very few parry-mages, and no spell-channeling shields (so they'd have to equip the shield, block a few blows, then drop the shield to cast). So, while warriors could have GM Resist and lower spell damage significantly, it was a lot harder for mages to block the hard steel of a katana.
What? Are you simple? Yes, deadly poison was effective in PvP, THATS WHY IT WAS CALLED DEADLY POISON! Because it was deadly. See how that works?

Yes, all bladed weapons could be poisoned. That was the point. It made poisoning a worth while skill to have, as opposed to today where its practially useless. And it helped out crafters, especially miners, who couldnt pick up all the combat skills. A DP sword saved the life of my miner more times than I can count.

Thats right, a mage couldnt parry, that was the point. Oh boo hoo, your mage couldnt be a walking wall of armor. That was the price you paid for being able to weild the destructive power of magic. Mages arent supposed to be good at melee combat. Just like archers cant block, neither can a mage.

Bottom line, a Mage isnt supposed to be able to parry and stand toe to toe with a warrior.
A mage isnt supposed to be able to wear platemail. You want to talk imbalance, what you are supporting with parry mages is the exact definition of imbalance.

But heres a little history lesson for you, because you CLEARLY never played old UO.

You see, back in the day, when everything worked like it was supposed to, Mages did have a defense against melee attackers. It was called, reactive armor. Unlike the UTTERLY USELESS reactive armor of today, the original RA absorbed a massive amount of melee damage to a mage and in turn harmed the attacker. It gave mages a fighting chance to defend themselves. but the spell didnt last forever, so you had to think fast, emphasis on think, not let your artifact armor do the work for you.

Anyone remember when axers, or then later macers, were considered over-powered? Anyone remember when archers first were over-powered, then nerfed into existence?
First of all, I played a macer, dont remember him being imbalanced. Yeah, he hit hard, but he hit slow. that was the balancing factor. you traded higher damage for slower attack speed.

Yeah, archers were overpowered...... like back in the first age. The nerfing into oblivion didnt come until..... well gosh, that didnt happen until sometime around just after AOS.

Classic shard players won't stand for these imbalances...How do I know this? Because the players back then did, in fact, complain about the imbalances.
Okay, as compared to the problems UO has NOW, those imbalances you speak of, most of which are just utter trammie BS, are nothing. As a matter of fact, UO functioned BETTER with those "Imbalances" than it does today.

Will they stand for the lack of content? Would they want every scenario and every new map to be added to the classic shard? I'm willing to bet at least half would.
Lack of content....hmmm... lets think about that for a sec, shall we? What content would the classic server players be lacking? What, the AOS crap? Ummm, yeah, Dont think ANY classic shard player is going to be shedding any tears over that one, pal. What, the elves? Again, dont see anyone lamenting the loss of those neon colored freaks. No imbalanced gargolyes? Those will be missed as much as a case of Herpes, which I ronically, from what Ive seen from the early renderings EA has released of them, they look exactly like........ not a pretty sight.

Moving on.....

No tokuno Islands..... Riiiight, because neon feudal japaime really fits in with the original UO theme of Medieval Europe..... WONT be missed.

No peerlesses..... yeah, we had peerlesses back then too, they were called Ogre Lords, Lich Lords, Ancient Wyrms, Balrons, you know, back when those monsters were tough and not the pansy pushovers they are today.

The only land mass EA would really could add on would be Ilsh with its original rule set of allowing PKs in, and I dont see anyone objecting to that.

Bascially, all of this content they would be "missing out on" is content they dont want to play anyway. If they wanted to play this content, then they would be playing the post AOS servers, but they arent. So, logically, they wouldn't care that they arent getting AOS, SE, ML or SA content, because they dont want to play it anyway.

There'll be a lot of whining for very few players, and EA will have another set of rules to deal with.
The only whining will be from the trammie babies who come over to the classic shard, get their asses handed to them, then cry about it. Cant blame the classic servers, those players didnt have to come over, they could have stayed on the post AOS servers.

you know what causes so many of EAs problems with this game? All post AOS content. I bet that the classic servers have LESS problems than the Post AOS ones and that the devs will have to spend less time working on the Classic servers. Why? Because things will work better because its rule set wont go against the games core programming.

And how do I know this will happen? Because it has. Look at Siege. A small population that's very loud and manages to inject themselves into nearly every discussion, and mostly have their way on the boards.
SEIGE?! Thats your...... LOL! That isnt Proof. Heres what kills Seige:

One character slot

Cant sell to NPCs

Reds can enter town

No balance to anything

Seiges rule set is so Fked up, its not even funny. Also, it DOESNT EVEN COME CLOSE to the old UO in rules, at all.

I guess this wasn't so short, and it definitely isn't a well-put-together, organized argument.
Wow, we actually agree on something.

This is because I hadn't expected to write it, I'd wanted to write a one-sentence summary and then just kept on writing.
No, this is because your argument as a whole is just that, poorly organized and poorly thought out. Most of your arguments seem to stem from second hand trammie propaganda that only tells half truths and full lies.

Oh and why do I think my efforts are wasted? Because I'm increasingly certain that this is going to happen. The custom shard supporters are loud, and greatly over-represented on these boards, and that's who gets their way in Western culture. The squeaky wheel gets the grease and all that.

-Galen's player
Loud, no. We just tell the Devs what we want. Over represented? Well, gosh, according to you and so many of the other nay sayers to classic servers there are very few classic server supporters. Odd how you change your story and now claim we are "over represented". Flip flopping, the sign of a weak argument.

You problem, like most of the nay sayers, is fear. Youre afraid that classic servers will be vastly more popular than the post AOS ones and that EA will finally see the error of their ways. That the Post AOS servers will empty out and get shut down to make room for more classics. then you'll be stuck on a playing field where skill dominates and no more neon arti, gold spamming, bank sitting for you.

Then you'll know how all of us classic supporters felt when the game we loved was taken from us. Then you'll feel the frustration and dissapointment we felt. If you ask me, its a much deserved poetic justice......

A

AesSedai

- CORRECTUO, you seem quite passionate about supporting the resurrection of an older form of UO (albeit with additions, fixes and changes...) & you seem quite willing to quote and attempt to debunk posts from people that feel this is not in UO's best interests. That's not a bad thing.
I wonder if you missed this post or just didn't feel up to responding to it (or perhaps I missed your response to it & if so could you link me to it)? I would appreciate your thoughts on how wrong, or right, that poster's thoughts were.
Several of us have noted that post; here is what I thought about it.

Btw I can't speak for others but, fear is not a primary reason for my lack of support with this want (as I believe I might've even mentioned, maybe even to you, already in this thread); and it is not too difficult to read that other people do not fear it either nor too difficult to notice that by considering the variables involved, they have realized the similar rationale as I have...
My primary reason is because I still don't see it being a realistic benefit to the continued evolution of the amalgamation we call UO, at this time; but I may very well change my mind, at some time in the future.
For now, I truly hope all $/time/resources are poured into evolving the UO that currently is now; once current UO proves to be more stable and provides more resources I might be more inclined to welcome the addition of more servers, rulesets, maintenance, dev. time, & umm ~ resource sinks.. rather than liken the idea of resurrecting the past, at this time, to be tantamount to another elaborate 'jump the shark' -epic fail.

But ever since this subject has been raised, the many times, I still must vote: NO... at this time.
Feel free to say how wrong I am all (any of) you like, I don't mind, but: I'd rather have one instance of UO with issues than have multiple instances with issues (& all retro versions of UO had their share of issues & yes the current production has its issues too); at least until the EA/Mythic suits significantly increase the resources that UO has to work with...

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Which Era? Thats simple. It doesnt get any better than T2A. It was by far the most stable and balanced era.
Not all of you agree.

Some want Ren; some want pre-publish 16 (the champ spawn/power scroll publish); some want immediately pre-AoS; some want UO at launch. One of the most prominent of your people, Morgana, has outlined a custom rules set that has never yet existed in actual game play and has labeled it a "classic" rules set.

I don't understand why all of you reify your own preferences to such a degree. "Everyone wants ______" [insert your own preference]. It's like you're all so self-focused you don't even notice that you don't agree amongst yourselves and operate from behind a consensus that doesn't actually exist.

After you all win and get what you want, it'll be one of the most remarkable political achievements I've ever seen, and I will applaud you all for your achievement.

Not going to read your reply to me in depth....I skimmed it and it's the same familiar, tired....and (sadly) winning (in the sense of getting what you want; not in the sense of merit) material.

-Galen's player

Draxous

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

-Galen's player
Yeah, because we didn't get 8+ years of Trammel tailored content that completely left anyone who fell in love with UO from the 1997-00 era feeling like they were bastards?

It's about due-time.

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

Yeah, because we didn't get 8+ years of Trammel tailored content that completely left anyone who fell in love with UO from the 1997-00 era like they were bastards?

It's about due-time.
QFT

EA/Origin had the opportunity to take UO in a completely different direction than the way they did. I wish they had done that instead of catering to people like Gaylen here, who is apparently so afraid of Fel and those that play in it that he even goes so far as to add them to the ignore list on message forums :coco:

I will admit, something had to be done about the out of control PKing, but the Tram/Fel split was not the right solution.

I think almost every classic shard supporter would agree that any such shard should at the very least pre-date AoS, and most would also likely agree that if a mechanism could be put in place to reduce, but not eliminate PKing, that T2A would be the best starting point for the shard.

Where it goes after that, is a great unknown. I would like to think that EA/Mythic has learned something over the last 8 years, and that the mistakes of the past could be avoided.

But I have watched this thread, and I have read the responses of players like Gaylen and others, and it reminds me of why UO turned into what it did. There are just too many players in UO that want to follow formulas.

A+B=C or in the case of UO...No risk+Easy Mode=Mass in Game Wealth. As long as that is the predominant player preference, that is what the devs will cater to. Things like Doom, Champ Spaws, Peerless Bosses, etc. etc. are hard evidence to this fact. It's all about 'drops' and 'marties' now...instead of being about community and meaningful social interaction. Basically its like WoW but with sh!tty graphics...so we can't draw new players. Old players have no reason to come back, they can go play other games and see new things. Would a classic shard fix any of this? No...not really. It would be another unpopulated shard that only a handful (comparatively) of hard core old school players bother with. Meanwhile, the game will continue its decline into oblivion until the day they pull the plug. There will be no new age of UO, no resurgence of old players, no influx of new players...just a slow death.

But, wouldn't you rather ride out the last days of your time in UO seeing what could have been? I know I would. I'd love to see where they could have taken this game. Who knows, if a classic shard evolved differently, it might actually prolong the life of UO for a little while longer, because it wouldn't just be a WoW clone with cell-phone level graphics.

*censored*

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
after scanning through the pages of the same crap over and over, i have one main thing to say.

If there is a shard merger, I would have no problem with a classic shard. I would probably play the classic shard to an extent as well, but i also do not want to see a production shard lose more of its player base. If they merged a few shards into the bigger prod shards, then by all means, make your classic shard, until then, play a free shard.

C

CORRECTUO

after scanning through the pages of the same crap over and over, i have one main thing to say.

If there is a shard merger, I would have no problem with a classic shard. I would probably play the classic shard to an extent as well, but i also do not want to see a production shard lose more of its player base. If they merged a few shards into the bigger prod shards, then by all means, make your classic shard, until then, play a free shard.
Yeah, go play a free shard. Its not like EA could use those subscriptions anyway! *rolls eyes*

C

CORRECTUO

Not all of you agree.

Some want Ren; some want pre-publish 16 (the champ spawn/power scroll publish); some want immediately pre-AoS; some want UO at launch. One of the most prominent of your people, Morgana, has outlined a custom rules set that has never yet existed in actual game play and has labeled it a "classic" rules set.
First of all, no one wants UO at launch.

Second of all, T2A is the general consensus among those who want a classic server. I never said everyone agreed one the same era, but the majority of classic server supporters do agree that T2A would be the best era to have the classic server in.

Third of all, what Morgana outlined is a classic server with the fixes that should have been applied to the game BEFORE and instead of trammel, but werent.

I don't understand why all of you reify your own preferences to such a degree. "Everyone wants ______" [insert your own preference]. It's like you're all so self-focused you don't even notice that you don't agree amongst yourselves and operate from behind a consensus that doesn't actually exist.
Again, I never said everyone agrees on anything. I said the general consensus, meaning the majority agree on something.

After you all win and get what you want, it'll be one of the most remarkable political achievements I've ever seen, and I will applaud you all for your achievement.
Actually, I dont think you'll care either wich way.

Not going to read your reply to me in depth....I skimmed it and it's the same familiar, tired....and (sadly) winning (in the sense of getting what you want; not in the sense of merit) material.

-Galen's player
Not on Merit? and what is it that makes our argument so lacking in Merit, hmm? For that matter, what makes your argument so meritorious? From where I stand, your argument seems more arbitrary and trite than anything else. You have no right to stand on any sort of moral high ground, as you seem to place yourself upon.

You have no good reason to oppose classic servers. It wouldnt affect you on your Post-AOS servers. No one would be forcing you to play on the classic servers. Any of the resons you have posted have been defeated in debate by myself and others.

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

I was reading these forums not logged in and noted him mis-spelling of my name as "gay-lan." Clever. Apparently he's also dragging religion into this discussion? That's kind of low of him. Nowhere near as clever as "gay-lan."

*shrugs* Too bad, because they are going to win, and after they win, all of those tactics will be effectively vindicated.

Oh well.

-Galen's player
Actually, it was a mistake. I have seen people spell it Gaylan, but apparently you spell it Galen. Sorry, was too lazy too look it up.

I figured I would give my responses to you, and about you, about as much effort as you do towards everyone else.

BTW...I thought you were ignoring me. Go back to doing that.

H

Heartseeker

Keep fighting the fight Morgana.

Don't mind Galen; if you ignore him he will take his toys and go home.

CORRECTUO, your posts are spot on and I really hope the devs give us a Classic Shard.

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

Keep fighting the fight Morgana.

Don't mind Galen; if you ignore him he will take his toys and go home.

CORRECTUO, your posts are spot on and I really hope the devs give us a Classic Shard.
You know me, I get about as upset about what people say about me here as I do about a cloudy day. And I don't even have to put anyone on ignore...:dunce:

Kaleb

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is not place for religion talk. This is about a classic shard and like i stated the demand is there EA just needs to do something about it.

O

Old Man of UO

You have no good reason to oppose classic servers. It wouldnt affect you on your Post-AOS servers. No one would be forcing you to play on the classic servers. Any of the resons you have posted have been defeated in debate by myself and others.
I've read statements like this several times, and it's loaded with denial and ignorance if you really believe that. Whether you agree or disagree with creating a "classic" rules shard, at least be honest about this point.

The "classic" shard as you define it does not exist, anywhere. There may be free shards with similar rule sets, but it simply isn't possible to just copy and port it to a multi-server shard. Take the closest patch that EA has and it will still take some tweaking from programmers and developers.

So to create the "classic" shard, do they stop the currently planned SA expansion? Stop the current in-game events (ya, they are slow in developing, but they are there)? Do they stop the planned fixes and balances? Something has to give unless they hire new developers and programmers. And who will maintain the new rule set server and fix bugs... don't tell me you believe there will be no bugs??

That all aside, how will they pay for it? NO WHERE have I read where the 219 current yes-votes show that they can support the expansion. Where is the business model? Show me a viable business model to pay for this and then I will have no issues with it.

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

Show me a viable business model to pay for this and then I will have no issues with it.
Well, let's be fair. They would pay for it the exact same way they will pay for the next round of neon-hued pixel crack they release. Through subscriptions.

A Classic shard would not cost them any subscriptions.

How many people would go 'What?? A Classic Shard!! OMG!! I quit!!' ??

None.

This argument is a straw man at best.

The business model would be the exact same model they have followed for every other publish, release, or expansion since day 1.

O

Old Man of UO

Well, let's be fair. They would pay for it the exact same way they will pay for the next round of neon-hued pixel crack they release. Through subscriptions.

None.

The business model would be the exact same model they have followed for every other publish, release, or expansion since day 1.
No no no... that isn't a business model at all, and that doesn't show how it would pay and support the development and operating cost. That's just saying, "EA will build it and They will come!" Somehow you have to pay for the additional cost... and yes, there are additional costs. There would have to be enough NEW subscriptions to pay those costs. You haven't shown that at all.

And, I never ever said anyone would quit because of a classic shard, not even sure why you threw that out there.

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

No no no... that isn't a business model at all, and that doesn't show how it would pay and support the development and operating cost. That's just saying, "EA will build it and They will come!" Somehow you have to pay for the additional cost... and yes, there are additional costs. There would have to be enough NEW subscriptions to pay those costs. You haven't shown that at all.
Do you think there will be enough new subscriptions to pay for the cost of SA??

Different development projects for UO are not handled as individual entities. It is a collective development. I don't believe for one moment that a Classic Shard would be treated any differently by the devs than say...the Abyss shard was, when that was live. A Classic Shard would not require nearly as much development as a new expansion, because the content (art files, map, etc.) all currently exist. The most expedient way to pull it off would be to actually remove things rather than create new ones. A katana in Classic UO is the same thing as it is now, it just has different item properties. More to the point, it displays different item properties. That would not be very difficult to change.

Creating a Classic Shard would not require a complete re-coding, and more to the point, it wouldn't require creating new art files, sound files, AI routines, etc. so I think when people throw out the 'it would take too many resources' argument, they are either not understanding what actually goes into creating a game expansion, or they are being deliberately obtuse. SA is requiring far more resources than a Classic Shard would, but you don't hear these same people complaining about SA, because it will give them content they want. They don't care if people that preferred classic UO get any content they want, because they are selfish and shortsighted.

No one is forcing anyone to play on a Classic Shard if one existed. Whereas, SA will be rolled out onto every single existing shard. Whether or not an individual player decides to go to the new areas or use the new items is a choice, but those things will still be in the game. When a gargoyle wearing a neon sun dress flies by, you will see, whether you want to or not. So in reality, we have no choice. We get what the devs give us, and have to deal with it...yet people on the other side of the argument feel that they shouldn't have to do the same...

Main Entry: hyp·o·crite
Pronunciation: \ˈhi-pə-ˌkrit\
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English ypocrite, from Anglo-French, from Late Latin hypocrita, from Greek hypokritēs actor, hypocrite, from hypokrinesthai
Date: 13th century

2 : a person who acts in contradiction to his or her stated beliefs or feelings
— hypocrite adjective

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/hypocrite

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A Classic Shard would not require nearly as much development as a new expansion, because the content (art files, map, etc.) all currently exist. The most expedient way to pull it off would be to actually remove things rather than create new ones. A katana in Classic UO is the same thing as it is now, it just has different item properties. More to the point, it displays different item properties. That would not be very difficult to change.

Creating a Classic Shard would not require a complete re-coding, and more to the point, it wouldn't require creating new art files, sound files, AI routines, etc.
Morgana, just for grins, I went through the various lists of items provided on Stratics and came up with these totals. I'm sure the grand total is off by at least several hundred, if not a thousand or more.

HTML:
Alchemy Craftables		29	
Blacksmith Craftables		141	
Bowcraft Craftables		26	
Carpentry Craftables		131	
Glassblowing Craftables		13	
Inscription Craftables		88	
Stonemason Craftables		12	
Tailoring Craftables		122	
Tinkering Craftables		93	
Vet Rewards			80	Incomplete count
Gardening Resources		42	incomplete count
Gems				9	
Rare Resources			23	
Reagents			13	
Food				104	Guesstimate
BOD Rewards			55	Guesstimate
Spellweaving Items		17	
Rares				201	
Special Occasion Items		107	Very incomplete count
Items with Special Abilities	20	Incomplete
Doom Artifacts			33	
Doom Stealable Artifacts	27	
Minor Artifacts			52	
Tokuno Stealable Artifacts	35	
Treasures of Tokuno		30	

GRAND TOTAL			1503
That is a lot of items to examine to decide if they belong on a classic shard, and if they do, how they might need to be modified to fit the shard's special rules!

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

Morgana, just for grins, I went through the various lists of items provided on Stratics and came up with these totals. I'm sure the grand total is off by at least several hundred, if not a thousand or more.

HTML:
Alchemy Craftables		29	
Bowcraft Craftables		26	
Tinkering Craftables		93	
Gems				9	
Rare Resources			23	
Reagents			13	
Food				104	Guesstimate
Spellweaving Items		17	
Rares				201	
Doom Artifacts			33	
Minor Artifacts			52	
Treasures of Tokuno		30	

GRAND TOTAL			1503
That is a lot of items to examine to decide if they belong on a classic shard, and if they do, how they might need to be modified to fit the shard's special rules!

That is a lot of items...and hard evidence that UO went totally in the wrong direction!

Still, the way UO's code is written, most items are separate files, and calls are made to them from other parts of the core code. Changing the core server code to simply ignore those script files or item IDs would be sort of time consuming, but not difficult. In fact, it might be easier to to determine which items they actually wanted to keep, and add some lines to the core code that essentially checks file # ranges and weeds out the ones that don't fall within a specified range, and then just re-number the items they wanted to keep. Same with monsters, etc.

I don't think anyone has said that it would require no work. But you have to understand that there is more than one way to skin a cat. (And for the hypersensitive among us, I am not advocating for skinning any cats, its an expression...so no need to derail the argument, again, with Animal Rights discussions)

I have heard it said that the core code has changed so much that it would be a near-rewrite, and that there are no backups of the old code. But I think what most (not all) Classic Fans want could be done without a total code rewrite. In fact, I think rewriting the code is a bad idea. That just lends itself to a new set of problems.

Altering the existing code, scripts and dynamic libraries to suit the purpose would not only be easier, but it would pretty much enjoy the benefits of bugs that have been fixed in the past. Of course, it would introduce problems. You don't change anything code-wise without something breaking and going nuts. Just doesn't happen. But EA/Mythic have some talented developers on their staff, and it really comes down to a question of do they want to do it...not can they do it.

C

CORRECTUO

I've read statements like this several times, and it's loaded with denial and ignorance if you really believe that. Whether you agree or disagree with creating a "classic" rules shard, at least be honest about this point.

The "classic" shard as you define it does not exist, anywhere. There may be free shards with similar rule sets, but it simply isn't possible to just copy and port it to a multi-server shard. Take the closest patch that EA has and it will still take some tweaking from programmers and developers.
It simply isnt possible? Tell that to all of the free shards out there being run by one or two people. Where are they getting their code from? And doesnt EA have the old OSI code archived somewhere? I remember reading that EA had found much of the old server code not too long ago and that its just sitting unused.

Will it take some tweaking? Yes. But emphasis on some. It would cost significantly less to work on and fix old code from T2A (Code mind you that was, for the most part, fixed a long time ago) than constantly sinking money into the perpetually failing post AOS code that seems to have a never ending string of bugs, imbalances and glitches. Fixing the AOS code is like trying to patch a damn with glue paste.... it just wont work.

So to create the "classic" shard, do they stop the currently planned SA expansion? Stop the current in-game events (ya, they are slow in developing, but they are there)? Do they stop the planned fixes and balances? Something has to give unless they hire new developers and programmers.
Continue with the events and fixes? What fixes? From what Ive read on these forums, AOS has had nothing but a continuous string of bugs, glitches, and crashes and nothing that EA is doing is working. They are figthing a LOSING battle. With each so called fix they release, a hundred more issues arise.

The same goes for their so called balances too. they nerf one skill, then they are forced to nerf another because it throws everything out of whack! Eventually, they are going to be forced to nerf all of the skills down to a point of nonfunctionality!

The ingame events are few and far apart to the point of being moot. Oh wow, they have to spend months budget on an event that will last a few days, people will camp it, farm it for whatever drops, then its over. Big freaking woop, everyone goes back to their same hum drum routines of bank sitting and spamming.

And SA is only going to throw more kerosine on the fire. Imbuning is going to bring even more imbalance to the game. The Gargs are going to be overpowered to an unimagineable degree. Bascially, SA is a waste of time.

So, you are right, something has to give. What has to give is this pointless uphill battle that is maintaining the post AOS servers. Maybe after the classic servers actually start bringing in subs that they can have money to throw away frivoulously on anything post AOS again.

And who will maintain the new rule set server and fix bugs... don't tell me you believe there will be no bugs??
Never said it wouldnt have bugs, but the bugs of the old days were nothing in comparison to the bugs of today. Also, they already know how to fix the old bugs because they were dealt with a long time ago so the majority of the problems that were faced in the old days can be fixed even before the servers are released.

That all aside, how will they pay for it? NO WHERE have I read where the 219 current yes-votes show that they can support the expansion. Where is the business model? Show me a viable business model to pay for this and then I will have no issues with it.
How will they pay for it? Well, gosh, its supposed to be a multi-billion dollar company, isnt it? If some guy working at Taco Bell earning barely minimum wage can find not only the time BUT THE MONEY to rent a server and establish a free shard, then I think EA can find the funds to hire a small team to set up some classic shards.

If not, well, then EA is just pathetic and I hope that guy at Taco Bell, who has more money than EA, buys UO and finally fixes the game.

C

CORRECTUO

HTML:
Alchemy Craftables		29	
Bowcraft Craftables		26	
Tinkering Craftables		93	
Gems				9	
Rare Resources			23	
Reagents			13	
Food				104	Guesstimate
Spellweaving Items		17	
Rares				201	
Doom Artifacts			33	
Minor Artifacts			52	
Treasures of Tokuno		30	

GRAND TOTAL			1503
Actually, there is a very easy way to decide what items belong on a classic server.

Find out which ones existed pre-trammel and keep those. All of the rest get dropped.

Simple as that...

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

It simply isnt possible? Tell that to all of the free shards out there being run by one or two people. Where are they getting their code from?
Totally different animal.

Most server emulators I have seen are coded in .Net and use C# scripts. None of them I have seen are multi-server. EA could not use the same code that 'free shards' use because it would never support the number of players that UO has at any given time.

It needs to be stressed that free shards are not at all the same as the OSI (originally) shards...and therefore that argument is not valid.

I want a Classic Shard as much as anyone, but I can't stand behind that particular piece of the debate.

IanJames

Certifiable
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I just don't care. I dont' have a problem with a "classic" (whatever that is) shard being in existence. I happen to play on Siege because I made some friends there and I like them.

I don't think it's going to happen though, I just don't think the DEV team has the resources they need to run the game as it is right now, much less figure out how to implement a "classic" shard and maintain it properly.

C

CORRECTUO

- CORRECTUO, you seem quite passionate about supporting the resurrection of an older form of UO (albeit with additions, fixes and changes...) & you seem quite willing to quote and attempt to debunk posts from people that feel this is not in UO's best interests. That's not a bad thing.
I wonder if you missed this post or just didn't feel up to responding to it (or perhaps I missed your response to it & if so could you link me to it)? I would appreciate your thoughts on how wrong, or right, that poster's thoughts were.
Several of us have noted that post; here is what I thought about it.
I read Azaroths wall of text but didnt have the time to disect it bit by bit and point out the flaws in his reasoning. But luckily for me, Harlequin quoted him in a much smaller post that caught the main points of Azaroths post.

I responded here:

my response

Btw I can't speak for others but, fear is not a primary reason for my lack of support with this want (as I believe I might've even mentioned, maybe even to you, already in this thread); and it is not too difficult to read that other people do not fear it either nor too difficult to notice that by considering the variables involved, they have realized the similar rationale as I have...

My primary reason is because I still don't see it being a realistic benefit to the continued evolution of the amalgamation we call UO, at this time; but I may very well change my mind, at some time in the future.
Well, the game has been "evolving" for, what its been 7 years since AOS? UO has been "evolving" for over 7 years now since AOS, and what has said evolution brought?

Lets list them, Shall we?

#1.) A MASSIVE increas in bugs, glitches, expliots, cheaters, hackers and player dissatisfation.

#2.) A massive decrease in subscritpions

#3.) Item dependency

#4.) A dependency on Gold Farmers

#5.) Inflation to an insane degree

#6.) Crippling imbalances and skill nerfs

#7.) player made gear is obsolete thanks to artifacts

#8.) Power Scrolls eventually became maditory, thus making GM a joke

#9.) The ingame economy is ruined

And thats just to name a few. Yes, UO is evolving, but its evolving into a mutated, cancerous, abomination. So, yes, Asei, let EA continue with reasoning like yours. It will be a merciful day when they finally end the butchery of UO and lay it to rest.

There are two kinds of evolution. The right way. And then there the "needs to be dragged out into the field and put out of its misery" way, which shall be refered to as the "Wrong Way" from here on out. Guess which one UO is following? Give you a hint, it involves the afformentioned field.

The post AOS content is a losing battle. They havent made any real progress in fixing UO or attracting/re-attracting players. I can tell you now, its not the graphics thats keeping people away, its the horrible gameplay, ruined systems, gimped skills, and shipwrecked economy.

For now, I truly hope all $/time/resources are poured into evolving the UO that currently is now; once current UO proves to be more stable and provides more resources I might be more inclined to welcome the addition of more servers, rulesets, maintenance, dev. time, & umm ~ resource sinks.. rather than liken the idea of resurrecting the past, at this time, to be tantamount to another elaborate 'jump the shark' -epic fail.
Current UO will never be stable. Theyve been working on the post AOS content for over 7 years now and they still cant get it right. People arent coming back. The game is only LOSING players. Its just not working, dont you get it?

Its time to change tactics, go back to what did work. Stop pushing the content that has already proven to be a failure.

There's jumping the Shark, but then there is contiuning the death march. At least with the shark, youve got a chance. But the death march is just that, a march to death. No hope. Utterly screwed, doomed, Fked!

bottom line: ITS NOT WORKING!!!!! Or havent you and everyone who opposes classic servers realized this? Surely you see it. The empty towns and dungeons. Set foot ouside of luna for a minute. Take a look around Britain, Trinsic, Skara. All towns that used to be full of people even at low activity hours. Now they are all ghost towns. It never used to be that way in the old days. Every town had people in it. People, actual players, not just a bunch of un-used NPCs milling about!

The game had life! A pulse! Not just a bunch of item selling spamming bank sitters sitting in Luna doing nothing all day, except waiting to be spoon fed the next lame ass event thats only gonna last a day or two!

But ever since this subject has been raised, the many times, I still must vote: NO... at this time.
Feel free to say how wrong I am all (any of) you like, I don't mind, but: I'd rather have one instance of UO with issues than have multiple instances with issues (& all retro versions of UO had their share of issues & yes the current production has its issues too); at least until the EA/Mythic suits significantly increase the resources that UO has to work with...
The only way, and I mean ONLY WAY, the suits at EA are going to pay UO any attention is if it starts turning a REAL, SUBSTANTIAL profit. It hasnt done that in YEARS. That is due to the failing content provided by the post AOS content. Prove me wrong...

Have the numbers of subs gone up and stayed up since AOS? No.

Have the number of players increased since any of the expansions? No.

Thus, it is safe to draw the conclusion that the post AOS content isnt working. Its not attracting new players, nor is it bringing back the old. And mind you, UO existed along side EQ and other higher graphical games, so its not graphics that can be blamed. No, its content and gameplay.

Ask any old UO player that left why they did so. Some will say money, others may give some other answer. The the majority will tell you, it was because of AOS. People left UO in the old days for EQ or SB, but in the end they always came back.

It wasnt UOs graphics that made it good. It was the freedom the game offered. Each skill functioned, from stealing, to item ID, everything had a purpose back in old UO. This allowed players to build any sort of character they wanted and it was a fuctional character. Unlike today where the majority of skills are gimped.

Another aspect of freedom was how open the game was. Every time you set foot outside of town, you never knew what was going to happen next. Even 7x GMs were caught by surprise. The Players made the events. The Players kept things fresh. We didnt need some EM to cook up some half assed event. We didnt need to be handed quests or pixle crack to keep playing. People made their own adventures, and they were happy with it.

How you can be happy with the state UO is in is beyond me. But I guess you like a game thats all about the items and "phat lewtz", and not about community, heart, or life. I guess you like the fact that the towns are empty and so is the bulk of the ingame world. You must like the fact that the game has no challenge and that people must now rely on theme park attractions to keep them playing and pointless EM events. Basically, you like the fact that UO is nothing more than a 2d version of WoW.

Bottom line, UO will never suceed on the path is on now. Its just going to keep going down hill. So, you know what, whatever, good, I hope UO does get shut down. The sooner EA stops mutilating it, the better.

RIP, UO. May you die with some of your dignity intact.

C

CORRECTUO

Totally different animal.

Most server emulators I have seen are coded in .Net and use C# scripts. None of them I have seen are multi-server. EA could not use the same code that 'free shards' use because it would never support the number of players that UO has at any given time.

It needs to be stressed that free shards are not at all the same as the OSI (originally) shards...and therefore that argument is not valid.

I want a Classic Shard as much as anyone, but I can't stand behind that particular piece of
the debate.
That wasnt the point. The point was there are places they can get the coding needed to make classic servers.

EA does have access to the old server code. They have it archived with all of the old OSI data somewhere. Im sure some of the original developers of UO has some of the old code too. There are places they can get it from.

Its not like searching for the lost city of gold.

Even then, you say the EA devs are so talented, them im sure they could engineer the coding out there to meet the requirements to multi server it.

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

I can tell you now, its not the graphics thats keeping people away, its the horrible gameplay, ruined systems, gimped skills, and shipwrecked economy.
I think graphics are a huge part of it. There are others games similar to UO now that new players can get into that have much better graphics than UO. No matter what EA does to UO, short of a UO2, they will never draw the kinds of players they used to have. Classic Shard or no Classic Shard, those days are over.

How you can be happy with the state UO is in is beyond me. But I guess you like a game thats all about the items and "phat lewtz", and not about community, heart, or life. I guess you like the fact that the towns are empty and so is the bulk of the ingame world. You must like the fact that the game has no challenge and that people must now rely on theme park attractions to keep them playing and pointless EM events. Basically, you like the fact that UO is nothing more than a 2d version of WoW.

Bottom line, UO will never suceed on the path is on now. Its just going to keep going down hill. So, you know what, whatever, good, I hope UO does get shut down. The sooner EA stops mutilating it, the better.

RIP, UO. May you die with some of your dignity intact.

I would like to see a Classic Shard just because I would like for people, and myself, to have a chance to see what UO was like before they "evolved" it. I'd like to see where it could have gone, had they taken the time to do it right, instead of just half-assing so many things.

G

Gowron

Show me a viable business model to pay for this and then I will have no issues with it.

None.

Here is why it is a bad business model to implement a Classic Shard.

There has been little to no statistics that implementing a Classic Shard will bring additional subscribers. This means none to negligible increase in income.

Implementing a Classic Shard will force developers and staff to dedicate resources and time. This means increase in operating costs.

Now, increasing operating costs without a significant increase in income drives down the profit margin. So, there you have it. This is why it is not a good idea, and this is why it is a poor business model.

Now, as a player, I'd like the Classic Shard idea. Then my blacksmith would be relavent again, and if I lost my "uber" equipment, well, I could get that back in a few hours of dungeon crawling. Or, I could just smith me some GM stuff and be just as well off.

M

MuffinBear

This is not place for religion talk. This is about a classic shard and like i stated the demand is there EA just needs to do something about it.
Apparently it's a place to bash it though, Morganna for some lame reason writes
Either way, like I said before, arguing over this is like arguing the existence of God with a devout Christian. Nothing you say or do will ever convince that person that there could possibly be a valid view point outside of their own...and if you did somehow manage to cause that person to briefly question their stance, they will call you a heretic and burn you at the stake...or in the case of Stratics...put you on ignore
Apparently the moderators are fine with that being in this thread about a Classic shard but my response wasn't.

I guess they are fine with atheists attacking religion but not the other way around.

M

MuffinBear

Muffin, you preaching again?
Are you serious? Morganna for whatever lame reason decides to bash Christianity in the Classic server thread on this forum, my reply gets deleted her rant gets to stay and you actually ask me if i'm preaching?

No you can't be serious....have fun trolling then.

B

Bc-

Are you serious? Morganna for whatever lame reason decides to bash Christianity in the Classic server thread on this forum, my reply gets deleted her rant gets to stay and you actually ask me if i'm preaching?

No you can't be serious....have fun trolling then.
Pot.. meet kettle...

The most worthwhile topics are always those which are the most heavily debated. I don't think OSI is questioning wether or not they should do this server, I think they are just questioning how they should do it, or how they can do it. Server hardware is a problem obviously, they have to re vamp old code to work with the new game. Now do you allow the 3d client on this server? What items do we include? What timeline? A hybrid timeline?

So many questions, but this is why their devs get paid the big bucks right? Ok you will only get that if you have visited a MMO studio..

Like I have suggested before I will suggest again. When Mythic made their classic DAoC servers they sent out a mass poll to all emails connected with active and de activated accounts. The topic of the polls evolved with each email, starting with a very basic concept, translated into UO terms something like A server with stat loss, A server without stat loss. Next poll, A server with stat loss and pre casting, B a server with stat loss and plate mages.. etc.. each poll progressed upon the number one voted topic of the previous poll.

They fine tuned with each poll, twisted it for their own image but keeping opinions in mind. It is something that they have done very well since beta and are even getting back to at this point with their "Knights of the Round Table" concept. I have faith that EA will eventually go down this same road with UO, all good things are worth waiting for.

M

Morgana LeFay (PoV)

For the last time...It wasn't meant as a hack on Christians, it was an analogy...thats all. I deleted the original comment, and I am apologizing to you, and everyone else that took offense.

There is no need to mire this discussion in this debates about religion. Unless your desire is to see the thread locked, please, just accept my apologies, and move on.

Fair enough?

H

Heartseeker

Morgana take that apology back; it's not really needed.:)

It is easy to ruffle the feathers of the natives here.

I have never met more politically correct people in my life than on this site.

" Save UO; Start A Classic Server. "

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Things tend to get a bit touchy when debates heat up.

However, personally, I don't think Morgana's original comment is bashing Christianity in any way. Galen just happened to gave a quick glance and mistook her comments as bringing religion into the argument.

At most, it can be considered a tad insensitive though, that's why you leave politics and religions out of discussions. However, I am glad she edited her post and even offered to apologize to anyone that may have been offended.

As to concerns that the majority votes supporting a classic shard is being misrepresented due to "alts" or the vocal few, what if the poll results shows the opposite? Would there be people that would come out to say "There, that shows that the majority of the players don't want it"?

While polls cannot be considered accurate, it nonetheless is the best tool that we have currently to represent a cross section of the player base.

Business plan issues - They did not have solid evidence that the european shards or the asian shards would be successful initially either. But they did know there was a demand. So they put up one or two shards to test the waters before commiting more.

Similarly, I would suggest a prototype shard like the Abyss or the Winterlands shard (they already have the hardware and infrastructure for this that they can re-use) to test the waters and gather feedback, make adjustments, decide on the best ruleset to use etc until they have a viable shard they can commit to.

On the other hand, I urge the proponents to be patient. Being overly zealous may be detrimental to the cause as it tends to turn people off.

I feel that Azaroth Dragon's views are very thoughtful and well balanced. He has provided very valuable viewpoints from both angles, the pros, the cons, what is, what can be, what will happen, how to followup, how to make it as successful as possible etc. That's something that only a person that has run a freeshard and experience it firsthand can provide. I recommend that posters give it a read.

A

AesSedai

I read Azaroths wall of text but didnt have the time to disect it bit by bit and point out the flaws in his reasoning. But luckily for me, Harlequin quoted him in a much smaller post that caught the main points of Azaroths post.

I responded here:

my response
- Ah yeah I read that one from you already. Well, thanks for the reply.

Btw, I don't appreciate the way you attempted to put words in my mouth towards the end of the post that I quoted a bit from, here.
At least you quoted where I clearly stated UO past and present both have issues.
Sorry, but I disagree that an earlier version of UO would have less issues in this 2009; rather I think it would have more issues now that there are more willing to seek enjoyment (or even profit$) from (selfishly) abusing games especially since there are more avenues available now to reach that 'goal'.
You're probably a very smart person but you truly have misunderstood my point of view, as well as my aspirations for the evolution & improvement of UO. Btw, jumping the shark is, in other words, exponentially multiplying the inevitable death march... Which seems to be what you want:
...So, you know what, whatever, good, I hope UO does get shut down. The sooner EA stops mutilating it, the better.

RIP, UO. May you die with some of your dignity intact...
So for your wishes: I hope you get what you desire and Retro arrives at a bad time & UO does get buried... for as you said at the end of the post I referred to up above, that seems to be exactly what you want.
Whereas I disagree, and I don't want to see a death march or shark jump any time soon re: UO.
(Don't you hate when people paraphrase and take the meaning of your post out of context in a feable attempt to add leverage to their point?)

UO has many decades in front of it, as long as it continues to evolve and improve. Which includes not getting screwed around by constant corporate turmoil every few years, amongst many other variables; including wasted resources rather than focused investment in a unified future that could breathe much new life into our beloved ol' granpappy mmo. If I were a betting man I would give Stygian Abyss 10:1 odds on improving UO's future more-so than any retro-UO-version would. Gamebryo creates a potential bridge to the future whereas any retro shard would just be milking off the rose shaded memories from the past & milking resources that could be devoted to the future of UO... (btw, if ya' think about it, those memories of the past could very well be recreated in the future, albeit in more modern circumstances... so give up on modern UO if you must, but you just might miss out on a modern UO that suits your fancy as much as & maybe even more than it did in the past)

E

ElRay

UO has many decades in front of it, as long as it continues to evolve and improve. Which includes not getting screwed around by constant corporate turmoil every few years, amongst many other variables; including wasted resources rather than focused investment in a unified future that could breathe much new life into our beloved ol' granpappy mmo. If I were a betting man I would give Stygian Abyss 10:1 odds on improving UO's future more-so than any retro-UO-version would. Gamebryo creates a potential bridge to the future whereas any retro shard would just be milking off the rose shaded memories from the past & milking resources that could be devoted to the future of UO... (btw, if ya' think about it, those memories of the past could very well be recreated in the future, albeit in more modern circumstances... so give up on modern UO if you must, but you just might miss out on a modern UO that suits your fancy as much as & maybe even more than it did in the past)
Oh god, lets not get all whimsy and philosophical. Fact of the matter is, there are a TON of free Pre-Aos shards, with probably more population combined then production shard-run UO. If EA ran a legit retro shard, im sure alot of people would rather pay and play that, then a player run one that could go down at any time.

All like minded people like yourself keep hoping (and dreaming imo) that the next expansion will "fix" UO. Guess what? Pretty much every expansion from AoS to current has SUCKED. Endless bugs/exploits/cheats/hacks/overpowered skills/items/etc have come from these "expansions" and yet these are where people like you put all your cookies at. In the next expansion.

Id rather hope(and have a better chance) they come out with an Pre-AoS shard, then them coming out with a quality expansion. Besides, they are expanding on doodoo =(

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Things tend to get a bit touchy when debates heat up.

However, personally, I don't think Morgana's original comment is bashing Christianity in any way. Galen just happened to gave a quick glance and mistook her comments as bringing religion into the argument.
I don't care what religion he criticizes; I just thought the introduction of religion into the discussion at all was bizarre. As in, why on earth would it even be enough of a factor that we'd ever have to worry about being offended? Mistaking humble "Gaylan" for another poster maybe?

-Galen's player

HD2300

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh god, lets not get all whimsy and philosophical. Fact of the matter is, there are a TON of free Pre-Aos shards, with probably more population combined then production shard-run UO. If EA ran a legit retro shard, im sure alot of people would rather pay and play that, then a player run one that could go down at any time.
You say that a freeshard could go down at any time, yet recently Mark Jacobs claims he saved UO from extinction. I believe the major freeshards can detect and ban people who use the scripting program and also ban speedhackers. So why would these people who are happy where they have been playing for free for 10 years on script free and speedhack free shards, switch over to EA and pay $12/mth. It just doesnt make any sense.

What is EA marketing going to do? Send out a bulk email saying, ATTN. We will be opening a classic shard soon. Our point of difference is that we allow you to script and speedhack, and we are offering you the exclusive priviledge of paying to beta test it for 12 months. FAIL.

If they do anything, it should be a pvp only shard with insurance and a pvm only shard.

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't care what religion he criticizes; I just thought the introduction of religion into the discussion at all was bizarre. As in, why on earth would it even be enough of a factor that we'd ever have to worry about being offended? Mistaking humble "Gaylan" for another poster maybe?

-Galen's player
I am glad you did not take offense :)

And yes I agree it's awkward to bring up any religious reference in threads like these, and to avoid bringing religion/politics into non-religious/non-political discussions. I am still happy that she offered an apology to posters whom may have been offended and removed that part of her post.

You say that a freeshard could go down at any time, yet recently Mark Jacobs claims he saved UO from extinction. I believe the major freeshards can detect and ban people who use the scripting program and also ban speedhackers. So why would these people who are happy where they have been playing for free for 10 years on script free and speedhack free shards, switch over to EA and pay $12/mth. It just doesnt make any sense.

What is EA marketing going to do? Send out a bulk email saying, ATTN. We will be opening a classic shard soon. Our point of difference is that we allow you to script and speedhack, and we are offering you the exclusive priviledge of paying to beta test it for 12 months. FAIL.

If they do anything, it should be a pvp only shard with insurance and a pvm only shard.
I totally agree that the more successful private shards are the ones that cracks down hard on cheaters. Most people realize that cheating ruins the game for others and themselves.

However, not all private shards are free. There are costs associated with running a private shard that has to come out the pocket of the fans that runs these shards. Without (or sometimes even with) donations/subscription as such to keep it going, at a certain point in time, these fans may find that they have lost interest in hosting a shard or may run into financial difficulties. They may then decide they do not want to continue paying for a private shard anymore and close it down abruptly.

Yes, the same thing may happen to EA run shards of course, when it starts being unprofitable, if the company falls into financial difficulty, if the management fears that it will compete with thier other online enterprises, if the 5 year old daughter of a pointy haired manager complains to him that she has been pk'd etc etc.

However, as a company that does business to make profits, we have a better guarantee that any decisions as such will be weighed and measured carefully and that people like Mark Jacobs will present arguments against it to revert such decisions if the product remains perfectly viable.

Besides that, there are other concerns with shady dealings, like GMs giving arties to their friends (to CorrectUO: or Invul/Vanq/Castles/Gold if there are no artifacts).

Then, there's also the resource and speed where they can deal with issues. Privately run servers normally do have have fail-over measures, so if the hardware fails, it may take days to get a replacement server.

Now, these are actually still minor issues, the most important issue is that of security. Quoted from my post 1 page back http://vboards.stratics.com/showpost.php?p=1190687&postcount=469 :

Quick note - although a bit exaggerated, it has a grain of truth. You are placing your ID and passwords on a database of an individual that may abuse it. Even if not, he may not have the resource to secure it or may have an untrustworthy/scorned bf/gf that will do the same thing (think Tradespot). Those that require a special client that you have to download and run, well, you don't know what backdoor codes they put into that client. Even if not, the server admins can see what IPs you are connecting from. So there are several security risks. They can be migitated of course, but I'd prefer to play on a shard that a well capitalized and reputable public company runs.

Back on point, the popularity and sheer amount of people willing to take those risks to play on these hazardous shards reflects that a lot of people still love and play UO. They just don't play on EA servers for various reasons. Some wish to play on a retro servers is one of them. So if EA can provide a stable, less bug infested server that the admins will not shut down on a whim, or give out arties to their friends, I believe they should be able to win back a good portion of these old timers.

Lowering the subscription fees would be a very good move too. UO is currently one of the more expensive games to play. If they do this too, it'll be a tripple whammy.
Paramount to all these though, including SA/Classic shards, are bug fixes, better in-game GM support and enforcement of rules.

Once that's out of the way, they'll need to do a proper study into this and get as much feedback as possible. Polls and threads like these are 1 way to get feedback, feasibility/market studies, prototypes, feedback channels/boards liek the KR/SA ones and even complaints are valid ways to get feedback.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
... so give up on modern UO if you must, but you just might miss out on a modern UO that suits your fancy as much as & maybe even more than it did in the past
What you're hinting at here, AesSedai, is what I think might be coming our way, eventually: a modernized "classic UO," whatever the heck that really means. For all we know, it's already on the drawing board as the next big project and the focus group invitations for it will be in the mail shortly after SA launches.

Of course, if that does happen, I would imagine that a big question on the minds of some folks would be what will happen to Siege and Mugen. I would hope that question would be addressed immediately, whatever the answer turns out to be, as soon as any plans to create a "classic UO" shard or two are announced.