• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Worlds of Ultima: Baja - Drow

WarderDragon

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Worlds of Ultima: Baja - Drow

Interaction on Baja tends to center around human characters.

Most shards tend to dismiss Ultima lore in lieu of importing fiction from Dungeons and Dragons or Lord of the Rings. I have a problem with that.

How much interest is there in creating unique fiction for Dark Elves, based on Ultima lore?

V

Valek Typhoon

might be a bit late but might I say ... I have often enjoyed the different sub-races of elves, particularly the drow. (hehehe)

WarderDragon

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As have I.

The problem isn't Drow. Or Elves. Or Dwarves. But as tends to be the case - as in threads on U.Hall - people tend to import these from other fictional universes with no thought to Ultima lore. Why can't Elves have facial hair? Because Elves never have facial hair. Then he goes on to cite ...D&D? LOTR? There is an argument in another thread suggesting that Orcs should all use Black Speech because that is the agreed upon lore of a certain subset of Orcs on a certain shard. Which is also LOTR.

Drow in UO tend to all be Chosen of Lloth. (Even the men.) And be careful not to suggest that Lloth might not exist in UO Lore.

Thus the prompt. Is it possible to create lore - based upon the Drow or Elves - but within the confines of Ultima lore?

WarderDragon

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Addenum

The question is meant to be rhetorical. I'm not suggesting it's wrong to import lore from other fictional universes. We all do. (I'm not some UO lore champion who claims to be a purist while doing the opposite.) It's whether we can fit things together and remain true to Ultima at the same time.

L

LynneOfMagincia

As have I.

The problem isn't Drow. Or Elves. Or Dwarves. But as tends to be the case - as in threads on U.Hall - people tend to import these from other fictional universes with no thought to Ultima lore. Why can't Elves have facial hair? Because Elves never have facial hair. Then he goes on to cite ...D&D? LOTR? There is an argument in another thread suggesting that Orcs should all use Black Speech because that is the agreed upon lore of a certain subset of Orcs on a certain shard. Which is also LOTR.

Drow in UO tend to all be Chosen of Lloth. (Even the men.) And be careful not to suggest that Lloth might not exist in UO Lore.

Thus the prompt. Is it possible to create lore - based upon the Drow or Elves - but within the confines of Ultima lore?
On a personal note.. I'm one of those who've never really bothered to research which place each character race comes from or which game. That *should* change, won't promise it's going to. That being said we've had the discussion about more than one type of character fitting in. The Orc issue, making them all speak the same is asinine personally. Even in one country you have different dialects, different accents. In conclusion, Yes, I believe its possibly to fit them into Ultima. (Never been a fan of Lloth anyway).

War Wizard

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have had a Drow in UO for many years...(just recently put him back into he allaince/used to play along side Ivy and the rest of DT). I see where you are coming from, Warder, with the use of "other" cites outside of UO lore. That is only because it is mainstream and everyone can recognize those cites. I myself will use terms interchangable as with Drow and Dark Elf and take lore from EVERY fictional universe. I also play my Drow under a different deity, J’imasro(I oppose Lloth, not to mention my character is male). And as you point out, J’imasro is not UO but, I did use a deity not mainstream recognizable inorder to stay away from the big boys of D&D. Plus she is an opposing deity to Lloth.... UO doesn't have the main stream Drow or deity for me to build a character around nor do I have authority to create NPCs under Ultima Online. This is why you often see people pulling from else where. I do see your point and try to use ideas of all places and kinds to not limit my RPing lore from a particular cite. As is with my response being aimed at one particular race(the Drow) it's hard to stay confined to UO lore.... my other characters are much easier since all are human. I would like to incompass more UO into my Drow if the oppertunity presented itself.

WarderDragon

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So the question remains: Are we interested in creating new lore that blends the Drow into our fictional universe?