• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Widescreen Support for 2D Client

drinkbeerallday

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is something that needs to be looked at. If I fullscreen UO the whole thing stretches out.

Also why is the limit 800x600 for game window size, why not bigger? The update range is 18, I think we should be able to see the full update range.

For anyone that doesn't realize it the update range is a diamond shape that is 18x18 and the UO window is a rectangle. That is why you can target people off screen to the N S E and W but not to the NW, NE, SW, SE.

KR allows players to see the full update range and beyond. The nice thing about 2D is that if something is outside the current update range it is greyed out.

You can test this by setting your update range (perfectly legal via UO macro) to something less than 18. You will see the grey.

All I ask is for the option to see the larger grey area on my monitor. Basically a big 1:1 aspect ratio that includes the 18x18 update range.

It is pixel graphics. It can be done.

Halister Marner

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
This is a huge pet peeve of mine, I totally agree. I would prefer some new resolution options in the 2D client as well.

Blesh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Is this just when in fullscreen? I play it windowed just fine on my widescreen. Just get tons more black area.

Pickaxe Pete

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Is this just when in fullscreen? I play it windowed just fine on my widescreen. Just get tons more black area.
Ditto, I use the black area to spread out all of the gumps. I manage to fill it up pretty well too.

However, I think the OP makes a valid point. Modern resolutions should be available as an option. Perhaps a 'fog' could prevent high-resolution users from seeing mobiles (players, monsters) past the current 18x18 range. I assume this is how KR works in the fully zoomed-out view. However, the gray area may not be ideal, color scenery would be best (prettier).

Cear Dallben Dragon

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
i have a 22 inch monitor at 1680 by 1050. i have a penny sized game window and the green acres worth of black space, even in fullscreen mode.

and SERIOUSLY, you guys have tried placing homes and boats with high resolution right? epic nightmare.

graphics have imptroved since 1997, uo should too. not to mention there are hacks to make your resolution better than the game allows wich puts other at a disadvantage.

Cadderly

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
They made KR adaptable for widescreens... I doubt they'll take any time to make 2d as well

H

Harb

This was the feature I most anticipated with KR. You should see 2d on our high resolution widescreen, the play window is soooo tiny you can't play it with any enjoyment or efficiency. Then KR was a personal disappointment, so our best computer/ screen remains out of the UO mix for us, a true shame. I probably wouldn't have bought the thing, at least not the monitor & upgrades, had I known this in advance.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Yeah but I hate KR.... and if I wanted to USE KR I would I would like to use 2d.. and have some more screen options

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Better resolution support is one of the (many) reasons I use KR.

KR is by no means perfect, but it fits a 22in Samsung widescreen just fine.

Perhaps a 'fog' could prevent high-resolution users from seeing mobiles (players, monsters) past the current 18x18 range. I assume this is how KR works in the fully zoomed-out view. However, the gray area may not be ideal, color scenery would be best (prettier).

The static terrain stays in color, you just do not see any dynamic objects or mobiles outside of the update range.

I can just say though that playing in 1680x1050 with the game window as big as it can be (which is about the same as playing in 1024x768 with an 800x600 window for comparison) with the zoom set all the way out... you can see a LOT more than you ever could in 2d. Makes PvM and travel very nice.

G

Godiva_DF

I have a 22" wide screen as well with 1680x1050
Everytime I start UO I switch resolution to 1280x786 which gives me the same gaming area than when I had the old screen.

with ati tray tools you can even let the screen switch automatically to the desired resolution for each game.

Nilrem

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You can run UO 2d in full screen on a larger monitor*, but i think the play window is probably set pretty much in stone thanks to the age of graphics engine used and the source graphics files available (without scaling which leads to blurring etc).
The extra space is still very handy for thngs like macros/packs etc.

*I run it at 1650x1080 normally, but with most of the space over 1024x800 only available for things like the paperdoll/spells etc

drinkbeerallday

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Perhaps a 'fog' could prevent high-resolution users from seeing mobiles (players, monsters) past the current 18x18 range. I assume this is how KR works in the fully zoomed-out view. However, the gray area may not be ideal, color scenery would be best (prettier).
that is already how it works. go into 2D and set your update range very low. you will see your 4x4 update range (or whatever) and the rest is greyed out.

the thing i hate about KR is you can't tell where the line between the 18x18 range and the static area is.

drinkbeerallday

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This was the feature I most anticipated with KR. You should see 2d on our high resolution widescreen, the play window is soooo tiny you can't play it with any enjoyment or efficiency. Then KR was a personal disappointment, so our best computer/ screen remains out of the UO mix for us, a true shame. I probably wouldn't have bought the thing, at least not the monitor & upgrades, had I known this in advance.
i still play with the widescreen, i just move it closer to my face lol