• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Why new people wont play Ultima Online

the 4th man

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Since Atlantic shard has stopped saving properly at the 2 min warning and reverting everyday from 30 minutes to 1 1/2 hours I have been testing out other shards.
I have found that almost all people or at least the ones that say anything are mean and rude to a person they think is new.
I am always in help chat on Atlantic and help as many as I can but I can't help everyone and only able to play late in the evening.
I have dreamed of this game becoming big again. But what they get upon entering it is scary indeed. Tonight I wont name the shard I asked a simple question and was the worse as to date. I was ripped to shreds with pure hatred.
Sadly I see a lot of new players honestly seeking help get treated this way.
I know I cant change the way people behave and sometimes I lose it myself. But I am asking if you can help a person please do. Treat others as you want to be treated.
I'm not saying give all your stuff away. Provide a gate, rezz, a book, extra set of armor or 10k gold. Anything is better than nothing or a put down.
Come on people.
I know there are good people out there I have seen and met them. A lot more like that would be nice. Remember this is our game and it wont survive forever with no new blood. We now have empty house spots on Atlantic and a couple of them dropping daily.
I love Ultima Online and hope its here for a long time to come.

Tell you what, I have been around pre AoS.......seen too much change, especially the gold prices for items. Seriously, seeing an item sell for 35 million, and as a new player I would see that gold drops from monsters do not show a balance. By the time one saved 35 million, that item would be long gone. Too many in this game see their "norm" as the entire games norm......that is not so......this and the fact that the powers that be are too scared to ban scripters......makes UO uncool.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There is a huge gap between the nearly 2 decade vet and the pure noob. Over a couple of decades even the casual player accumulates a vast amount of wealth in either items or gold or both. The noob starting out with JUNK and 1k gold is going to get frustrated real fast, in particular if they are wanting to enter the PvP scene. PvM, a lot of fun can be had working the skills through game play, but to tackle anything big like peerless or above you pretty much need a small fortune backing you. LOL but I am the guy with 12 piles of 60k Zoogie Fungus that I harvested myself and people ask how I manages to collect 720,000 Zoogies with the low drop rate........ Collecting Zoogies pretty much everyday since the release of LBR. I used to know another guys that collected carrots dropped by Vorpal Bunnies and had many piles of 60k bunny carrots. Now think of all the gold and other crap collected with the zoogies and carrots. A noob has no chance of ever being as rich in ZOOGIES as I am :) The noob would have to kill roughly 144,000 solen warriors and queens. which would earn them around 50,000,000 in gold and another 40,000,000 worth of gems and if they ran the powder another 108,000,000 worth of powder, almost enough to buy a decent PvP suit and Ethy ride, but nothing top of the line. Just using that as an example of how much actual work would go into equiping up. On the other hand using my gold farming technique without scripting I farm an average of 1.824 billion gold per year and lose most of it to gambling and Good looking NPC women. But seriously how does a noob even begin to figure out how to farm 5-10 mil per day?

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Did you really ever think you were going to sell 720,000 zoogies? I doubt it. Good example of how the game is whatever goal we set for ourselves, whether it's advancing a character or collecting zoogies. You don't need millions in gold to play UO.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Did you really ever think you were going to sell 720,000 zoogies? I doubt it. Good example of how the game is whatever goal we set for ourselves, whether it's advancing a character or collecting zoogies. You don't need millions in gold to play UO.
Actually ZOOG back in the prime sold 670,000 lots of 100 powder of translocation Between Legends and GL. The 720,000 is my personal collection LOL I always said when I had collected my 1,000,000th Zoogie I will say I won UO and quit :) And you are quite correct UO is what you make of it. LOL I have a friend who has yet to GM one skill since pre Ren but has achieved legendary at sitting around and talking. That is what makes UO so unique, you can do what ever you want, with no predefined goals or classes. You can make whatever goofy template you want and arm yourself with snowballs. Might be a T hunter for a few weeks running the Hag Quest and building Sacrifice and gaining low level maps, or spend a month on the seas fishing and pirating. There is a very big world in UO with pretty much endless things to do, I have yet to get bored with UO but I am not the kind to run through all of the new content as soon as it is released and then complain that there is nothing to do. Heck to me PvP would be boring the same handful of people killing each other over and over night after night and talking about the strange things they do to each others mothers and pets........... But hey if that is their things more power to them. A lot of people like to do the house deco thing, I make Borg cubes with boxes nothing wrong with either. Or if a guy wants to grow bright green snake plants and greenthorns to build his personal collection of Carrots and Brightly colored Eggs who is anyone to say his play style is wrong........ It is UO after all and you are not forced into any class or role.

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Continuing the point of not thinking UO is about the gold, I just saw a site advertising the ultimate uber sampire suit for $220 - that would be around 1B in game gold if you went that route. Sad to think somebody might spend $220 real money and still get their a** handed to em on a platter.

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The economy is so insane. It's ridiculous. I am not sure if I would still play UO if I wouldn't have moved to Siege. There were moments, when shardhoppers on EM-events, EM-events themselves and the behavior of so called "traders" with their arrogant, greedy and turbo-capitalist attitude made me aggressive towards UO. Taken into account that most shards except ATL became wastelands with almost no vendors and a decent playerbase, I was really bored and annoyed. I had my accounts, hopped into my shards only to see empty vendors and quiet chats. It was so sad to see.

I know I was talking differently on this board. I was an idiot. I know, I had to change my attitude. But now I learned that shards transfers were one of the major reasons for the collapse of 80 percent of shards. Shard transfers are an instrument of the devil! ;) the most stupid weapon of self-destruction ever implemented in this game.

UO was saved for me, when I moved to Siege, my love for this game has never been greater before. It's so wonderful that there are none of these magnates and tycoons and pvp-trashtalkers with their shiny suits and glacial blue crap-hair. And that game mechanics works as intended there: Looted gold actually means something as you can buy stuff for 10k or 100k or 1 mil, which is a good amount of money there. Quests make sense, looting resources makes sense. And the people I really hate, scripters and cheaters simply get killed. In Luna Atl. every second "trader" tries to scam and/or insult you. Try that on Siege and you are dead and looted dry. Luna Atlantic for me stands symbolic for everything that went wrong in this game. I was one of them, although I never tried to squeeze the last penny out of my customers. I rather lost gold than losing a nice social contact. I never was one of those gold-prostitutes which are shamelessly offering their services in Luna-Sodom. But I was there and played their game.

I was Saulus. Now I am Paulus on my mission for Siege. Or any other shard which does not offer shards -transfers.

If you ask me, what might improve UO, it would be a rigorous anti -cheating -policy, the end of the shard -transfer -system and the removal of at least 2 or 3 Zeros on all bank accounts.

Last edited:

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Continuing the point of not thinking UO is about the gold, I just saw a site advertising the ultimate uber sampire suit for $220 - that would be around 1B in game gold if you went that route. Sad to think somebody might spend $220 real money and still get their a** handed to em on a platter.
For just a hair below 3Billion you to can have the rarest pet in game and the best suit and wait that is not all for a Mere $750 more our team can hook you up with an Atl. Castle bringing it to around only 6.5 billion to have all the top tier gear, pets and housing......... You to can be the Ultimate Bank Sitter or House hider LOL

Or a Blaze Cu Sidhe for the Low Low price of only $399.99

The highest tier Sampire suit -$225.00
30 Hit Lower Defense
45 Hit Chance Increase
20 Defense Chance Increase
55% Swing Speed Increase (60% W/ town buff)
50% Damage Increase (100% W/ wep)
75/75/75/75/75 IN VAMP FORM
SO MUCH MORE !

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The economy is so insane. It's ridiculous. I am not sure if I would still play UO if I wouldn't have moved to Siege. There were moments, when shardhoppers on EM-events, EM-events themselves and the behavior of so called "traders" with their arrogant, greedy and turbo-capitalist attitude made me aggressive towards UO. Taken into account that most shards except ATL became wastelands with almost no vendors and a decent playerbase, I was really bored and annoyed. I had my accounts, hopped into my shards only to see empty vendors and quiet chats. It was so sad to see.

I know I was talking differently on this board. I was an idiot. I know, I had to change my attitude. But now I learned that shards transfers were one of the major reasons for the collapse of 80 percent of shards. Shard transfers are an instrument of the devil! ;) the most stupid weapon of self-destruction ever implemented in this game.

UO was saved for me, when I moved to Siege, my love for this game has never been greater before. It's so wonderful that there are none of these magnates and tycoons and pvp-trashtalkers with their shiny suits and glacial blue crap-hair. And that game mechanics works as intended there: Looted gold actually means something as you can buy stuff for 10k or 100k or 1 mil, which is a good amount of money there. Quests make sense, looting resources makes sense. And the people I really hate, scripters and cheaters simply get killed. In Luna Atl. every second "trader" tries to scam and/or insult you. Try that on Siege and you are dead and looted dry. Luna Atlantic for me stands symbolic for everything that went wrong in this game. I was one of them, although I never tried to squeeze the last penny out of my customers. I rather lost gold than losing a nice social contact. I never was one of those gold-prostitutes which are shamelessly offering their services in Luna-Sodom. But I was there and played their game.

I was Saulus. Now I am Paulus on my mission for Siege. Or any other shard which does not offer shards -transfers.

If you ask me, what might improve UO, it would be a rigorous anti -cheating -policy, the end of the shard -transfer -system and the removal of at least 2 or 3 Zeros on all bank accounts.
Gotta agree on the transfers being the worst thing to come down the pike. It started with High Pop Shard people swarming to low pop shards to farm without competition for the first couple of years and then a mass exodus of shard regulars moving to the high pop shards. I got to where I started shopping on ATL and transferring the goods I needed to Legends just because I couldn't find the things I needed on Legends anymore. I couldn't find a 25 stat and a 120 mage and after several weeks of trying just said screw it and transferred a toon with gold to atl spent the 100 mil I took with me on the scrolls and few other things I couldn't find on legends anymore and transferred back home 24 hours later. And now days just do a transfer to get things I want or need, instead of playing the spam game or searching hopelessly for things on shard.

Siege I have always enjoyed because the economy is not screwed beyond repair. Mainly because what is produced on Siege stays on Siege and resources and gold can't be moved to Siege. The only real problem with Siege is those of us that have been there forever have accumulated A LOT of STUFF over the years. I quit doing IDOCs just because I don't need more STUFF on Siege. Those two houses beside my ISland keep are FULL of STUFF......... I can't even tell you what is in the lines of crates and boxes because I have not opened them in years. The Keep has no shortage of STUFF but atleast it is stuff I use :) And in the grand scheme of things I have a lot less stuff than many of the other Siege long timers. That makes a big gap between the person new to Siege and the Person that has been here for 10+ years. But that atleast balances out a bit in that prices on things are A LOT lower on Siege and Gold is just as easy to farm thus making your efforts more worthwhile and the things you want or need more obtainable. As an added bonus the people that play Siege are overall a pretty cool collection of folks......... Of course I would not dream of going out in a 2470 luck suit or any top tier suit for that matter and run basic reforged 1100 luck suits for my activities or my Signature dragon scale melee suits, if I die I have 100 more to replace them with. People get way to hung up on dying and losing something. My problem is I split my play time between Siege, Legends and Great Lakes as the urge strikes me. I do keep one house in the Atlantic Cesspool for the shard shields and shopping but rarely go there now days unless I need a scroll or some item I can find on leg or gl. And yes I know I should not be playing at all this time of year but I can't do much farming when we get a inch of rain almost every other day and the ground has been Saturated since March.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
LOL yeah RL weather has been kinda hard on farming and ranching this year =(

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
LOL yeah RL weather has been kinda hard on farming and ranching this year =(
I am small time and only do 80 acres of grain 160 acres of pasture for pigs, cattle and poultry and 12 acres of veggies. I have thus far managed to mud in 100 tomatoe plants 100 pepper plants and 3 rows of lettuce. Too late to plant corn at this point and get any kind of crop, so going to plant those 80 acres in annual ryegrass or rye and turnips for winter forage, going to end up buying 10,000 bu of my neighbors corn for the winter chicken and pig feed since he did manage to get 400 acres of sloped ground planted. And veggies are just going to be lean this year. On the bright side I get more time to post on Stratics and play UO. On the really bright side the pigs are loving all this mud :)

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
removal of at least 2 or 3 Zeros on all bank accounts.
This will not fix UO in fact it could be the very death blow all these UO IS DIEING posters would love to see. Give the player base something meaningful to buy but taking away gold just to take it away is insanity at its best.

Enziet

Journeyman
I think the main reason new players aren't playing is just because there isn't alot of adverting anymore. There are so many people out there now a days "new to the gaming world" because of World of Warcraft that have never even heard of this game but would highly enjoy it.

The other night myself and a few others were streaming actual game-play on twitch of the Atlantic shard. Just running around killing mobs, someone else was setting up traps for stealing, another one was pvp'ing in a little mini arena. There were thousands of people coming and going and the most common question asked was, "What game is this!!" And about 90% of the people watching wanted to know how to get into the game.

Once they camped for awhile and started learning a few things about the game, the biggest issue was the sub costs, but most loved the 14 day trial before you commit to subbing. I made a new character on Atlantic just to join some of these people in game and hopefully show them around. Which surprisingly a few stayed and are still playing now.

Nobody has streamed UO in about two weeks now, and it is showing. I will stream it again on Twitch no doubt soon, but it just goes to show right there. Advertising. This game needs it. Twitch is only a very Small portion of the advertising pie. There is also Youtube and Hitbox plus many more social media pages and the like that cost nothing to advertise with.

I love UO and have been playing UO since 1998, I took a year off when WoW came out... I had to try it... :) And have been back ever since. It's a great game, it just needs more people advertising it.

As for dead? Oh hell no. It's been how many years now and the sub shards are still up? It wont go down anytime soon, as long as there are people still subbing to the game, and I can't speak for everyone else, but as long as I have a job with a spare 20 per month i'll be subbed to support my favorite game.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The last time I saw UO actually advertised was back during the SE release and that was what I would call luke warm advertising.

hijii

Visitor
My mule wanted to make some decorations for the house, had 30 carp. So I opted to get it to 80 or so.
6,000 staffs later, I made it. Each staff requires multiple clicks to make and destroy.
This game is carpal tunnel syndrome incarnate.

Though its strength is it's wealth of content. There is lots of content here, LOTS! more than any game. That's it's strength and I think existing content should be revamped and brought up to date. Really, who's been in the brit sewers recently? Graveyards? Fire dungeon? Why visit a smithy?

anyways, I agree that lack of players is a big drawdown for me and likely new players too. You used to be able to buy anything off vendors, now they are all empty because people bought goods and sold in atlantic.

Martell

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's pretty darn simple and clear now thanks to this poll (What is your age? (Answer in the Poll))

This game is dying because the devs have spent years catering to a bunch of 40+ year olds. Here's a hint guys, it's not swearing or a lack of tv commercials that are killing this game...it's YOU. An unwellingness to merge shards, swell the population, and the resistance to going F2P all so you can keep your houses where they are is what's ruining this game.

If you want the game to grow, you need kids and young adults to play. Kids and young adults aren't going to spend $15 a month on this. I've had zero problem getting friends of mine (aged 16 - 23) to play on free shards. While they laugh at the graphics, they all realize that UO is one of the few, true sandbox games out there and they like the pvp and rp aspects but there's absolutely no reason to pay a monthly fee to sit on a dead shard, with a community where evryone already knows one another, and who do the same mindless MOB hunts and house deco crap over and over and over again...

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think the main reason new players aren't playing is just because there isn't alot of adverting anymore. There are so many people out there now a days "new to the gaming world" because of World of Warcraft that have never even heard of this game but would highly enjoy it.

The other night myself and a few others were streaming actual game-play on twitch of the Atlantic shard. Just running around killing mobs, someone else was setting up traps for stealing, another one was pvp'ing in a little mini arena. There were thousands of people coming and going and the most common question asked was, "What game is this!!" And about 90% of the people watching wanted to know how to get into the game.

Once they camped for awhile and started learning a few things about the game, the biggest issue was the sub costs, but most loved the 14 day trial before you commit to subbing. I made a new character on Atlantic just to join some of these people in game and hopefully show them around. Which surprisingly a few stayed and are still playing now.

Nobody has streamed UO in about two weeks now, and it is showing. I will stream it again on Twitch no doubt soon, but it just goes to show right there. Advertising. This game needs it. Twitch is only a very Small portion of the advertising pie. There is also Youtube and Hitbox plus many more social media pages and the like that cost nothing to advertise with.

I love UO and have been playing UO since 1998, I took a year off when WoW came out... I had to try it... :) And have been back ever since. It's a great game, it just needs more people advertising it.

As for dead? Oh hell no. It's been how many years now and the sub shards are still up? It wont go down anytime soon, as long as there are people still subbing to the game, and I can't speak for everyone else, but as long as I have a job with a spare 20 per month i'll be subbed to support my favorite game.
Broadsword needs to try having official, paid PR/community support people for UO again. I will never understand why they have at least two people doing that job for Dark Age of Camelot but absolutely no one doing it for UO. If they hired someone to do PR/community work, Broadsword could also try replicating for UO the Knights of the Round Table program that they have for Dark Age of Camelot. However, since the Knights program doesn't actually pay cash to anyone (Knights get a comped account), I suppose something like it would never fly in UO.

Info about the Knights program: Dark Age of Camelot

DAoC's official Twitch channel: Twitch . The Knights normally do podcasts every Sunday. Currently they are on break until August while they concentrate on giving feedback and helping to test an upcoming class balancing patch. This is a list of archived podcasts: Dark Age of Camelot .

*Insert here my usual rant about UO's EM program. No one reads it anyway.*

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's pretty darn simple and clear now thanks to this poll (What is your age? (Answer in the Poll))

This game is dying because the devs have spent years catering to a bunch of 40+ year olds. Here's a hint guys, it's not swearing or a lack of tv commercials that are killing this game...it's YOU. An unwellingness to merge shards, swell the population, and the resistance to going F2P all so you can keep your houses where they are is what's ruining this game.

If you want the game to grow, you need kids and young adults to play. Kids and young adults aren't going to spend $15 a month on this. I've had zero problem getting friends of mine (aged 16 - 23) to play on free shards. While they laugh at the graphics, they all realize that UO is one of the few, true sandbox games out there and they like the pvp and rp aspects but there's absolutely no reason to pay a monthly fee to sit on a dead shard, with a community where evryone already knows one another, and who do the same mindless MOB hunts and house deco crap over and over and over again...
Exactly why the advertising should be targeted at the 30+ age group, we have the money, the numbers and the time to indulge in UO. As point of fact UO is only $10 per month if you pay in 6 month blocks. Shard mergers would not swell the population, merely concentrate the population. Free to play is not free and would likely cost much more than $10 per month, so you still could not afford it. So other than a $10 monthly sub that you obviously can't afford, what is stopping you or your little friends from jumping into the sandbox? And free shards from what I have seen are generally pretty crappy and flaky, not to mention tend to disappear without warning. Yep we know each other as this sand box evolved that is only natural. "unwellingness" "evryone" has the education system really gotten that bad?

Martell

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Lol making personal attacks on my spelling and my income... I'm writing this post on the ****ing toilet, not much effort is going into this and even then it's pretty apparent that you're grasping at straws since you don't have a single valid response other than personal attacks.

Exactly why the advertising should be targeted at the 30+ age group, we have the money, the numbers and the time to indulge in UO.
You really think the 30+ age group is a thriving video game market....I'll just be polite and say you're seriously mistaken about that.

As point of fact UO is only $10 per month if you pay in 6 month blocks. Shard mergers would not swell the population, merely concentrate the population.
And domino's pizzas only cost $10 if you order 10 at the same time...it doesn't change the fact that the price of a single pizza is $20.

Regardless of that fact though, it's not a matter of being able to afford it (trust me I can), it's why should I? Further why would a new player who's never even played UO before want to, considering they have to pay $80 for all the expansion packs just to get started on this game and they could also just buy a year's subscription of Xbox live for a similar price.

UO's model is antiquated, there's no way you can argue otherwise.

So other than a $10 monthly sub that you obviously can't afford, what is stopping you or your little friends from jumping into the sandbox?
The fact that all the shards are dead...duh!

Merge shards, swell/condense population, put it however you want but the fact of the matter is any new player that picks Baja, Sonoma, Siege, Napa, Legends, Lake Superior, Origin, etc. as their starting shard is going to realize that it's a ghost town and they'll tell all their friends how they wasted money on an MMORPG that is missing the MMO part of it.

I'd rather log on to my single free shard sever (which has been up for 5+ years) and enjoy a population that is larger than what you see on any prodo shard and is concentrated in one place.

Go F2P and the customer will get to determine how and when they spend their money and will have greater control over how and when they want to dedicate their time to UO.

Martell

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And it would be advertise at $10 USD a month
But not mention that you need to buy 3 different expansion packs all at $20 each and you'll have to wait 14 years until you can access and use the by far best item in game (aka. shard shields).

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
But not mention that you need to buy 3 different expansion packs all at $20 each and you'll have to wait 14 years until you can access and use the by far best item in game (aka. shard shields).
Did you post your little SNARK to anybody else and did I say anything about anything else other than reply to a person talking about the monthly cost? TROLL very much?

Martell

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Did you post your little SNARK to anybody else and did I say anything about anything else other than reply to a person talking about the monthly cost? TROLL very much?
Whoa no snark intended. I just thought it was a detail worth pointing out, considering this thread is about why new players won't try the game. One thing I think that prohibits them is both the cost and confusion of the various expansion packs you need to buy just to get started in this game, and also the monthly fee whether it's $10 or $15, that's too much and will only keep new users from giving the game a try.

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
... <snip> ... However, the reason why new players who do come to Ultima Online and won't stay is because it takes too much time upfront to invest into the game. Let's face it, if you're a gamer that goes from one title to the next, then chances are UO isn't for you. You need to be able to make a semi-decent commitment upfront just to be able to get a general grasp of gameplay, template builds and what is out there to do. And the best way to do that is human interaction, which as the OP noted, can sometimes be crude.
The colored statement is - to me - the real reason we don't see new folks. It does take commitment and patience - which (again IMO) gamers who bounce all over are not willing to do. It's the days of nearly instant gratification and if you need to work for it, then it's not worth it.

I've played from Dec 1998 with a year off after AoS and then 6 years with RL issues and just came back. I think I have an idea of time needed to play this beast.

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
... <snip> ...An unwellingness to merge shards, swell the population, and the resistance to going F2P all so you can keep your houses where they are is what's ruining this game.

I don't mind merging shards IF - all my stuff is intact when it's done. All rares that I have, all chests, the house, bank box ... everything. But the logistics of that entire process are not easy and shard transfer is ... well ... just not something for the faint at heart.

And you say that your buddies will play a FS but not the legitimate thing? That's what is killing this game ... the attitude of "why pay for it when I can get it for free". I'm surprised you're paying for it and not giving in to peer pressure.

If your friends play Call of Duty or the other console games, didn't they have to get acquainted with others on the net in order to team up in some of the scenarios? What's different about that over UO? And my 30+ YO son plays CoD - I've heard him talking with others and learning about them as they hit the enemy. If it can be done on a console, why not a PC?

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Honestly, every expansion every booster, should be included in the newest one. Time of Legends should upgrade an account to have everything ever offered. It's really crazy and poor taste to expect someone to come in and pay all that money to get up to speed.
No matter how much we love our game, and how much fun we have with it, we do need to get over ourselves and realize we are not the premier attraction, the main stud in the stable, anymore.
Our glory days are done. Stop the greed, let people buy the game once and be up to speed with full access...

Martell

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't mind merging shards IF - all my stuff is intact when it's done. All rares that I have, all chests, the house, bank box ... everything.
Yeah, I would think/hope that keeping all your items would definitely be the case. I would like to think they could even create new landmasses to park houses on...but I won't get overly optimistic.

My main point is: the idea that UO will save itself by maintaining the status-quo but simply advertising itself more is a joke. Drastic change is needed, and I personally think re-doing the payment system and condensing the population so that the game actually feels like an MMO is the most important steps to drawing new players (more so than adding more half-baked/buggy content).

If you disagree, or think the priority should be on current players vs. new players, feel free to lay out your argument.

And you say that your buddies will play a FS but not the legitimate thing? That's what is killing this game ... the attitude of "why pay for it when I can get it for free".
It's not so much "I can get it for free," it's, "there's a better product here and it just so happens to not have a monthly subscription." You can still spend RL money on free servers, I know plenty of folks who have done that. The main allure for me and folks I play with is that the free server has a large, thriving population. I can go to West Brit bank and easily see 20+ active players, many of whom I don't know and never seen before. The same is true when I go to dungeons, or play capture the flag, etc. In short, the free server actually feels like an MMO because it has a larger population than any single prodo UO shard (i won't even go into the content and support that the free server has introduced).

I'm surprised you're paying for it and not giving in to peer pressure.
Lol I don't think you know what peer pressure is...but my peers don't care what video games I decide to play in my own spare time when they're not around.

Further, the nice thing about dead shards in UO is that it's easy to farm stuff and I've learned how to do that and now pay for my gametime with UO gold. So yeah, for those that complain about the out of whack economy; maybe make it so it's not so damn easy to exploit...

The days have long since passed when I would spend RL money on UO.

If your friends play Call of Duty or the other console games, didn't they have to get acquainted with others on the net in order to team up in some of the scenarios? What's different about that over UO? And my 30+ YO son plays CoD - I've heard him talking with others and learning about them as they hit the enemy. If it can be done on a console, why not a PC?
1) CoD is a shooter, with several different game types that you just play on repeat, and consist of like 20 people per game...not really comparable to UO.
2) You don't need to know anyone on your team to play CoD. If I'm playing with folks I know in real life, sure I'll talk to them. If no one I know is online, I probably won't talk to anyone unless I feel like talking smack. So no, you don't need to get acquainted with folks in most online console games. ( at least none that I've played, and that include LoL even though it's not a console game)
3) I don't know anyone who has played CoD in the past 3 years. After Modern War, the games got stale and just churned out the same things over and over again. Kind of like UO, the game just kept doing more of the same and it's steadily in decline because of it.

Lord Gandalf

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Devs must make simple quests for full lrc suits, and basic dexer suits imop. Imbuable at the same time. The game is too complicated for starters.

More efforts should be invested on the EC client (polishing items, fps, 3d angle, pets animation...)

hardy-

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Crazy Dave has it correct.
You can scream we need this or that but what we really need is a strait forward way to get up and running without the gymnastics in the different fields just to pay our bill or have new people get started without an interpreter to get through the management page.

Timberwolf
You ask for a caring dev team... we have one......
Ok, my 2 cents:

I play since 2002, i played and stooped a lot of times, i usually play 3 months stop 6 months play another 3 months, and let me tell why, A LOT OF PROBLEMS.

PROBLEMS

- The origin store really suck, in my country we simple can`t buy the UOSA, so we need ask for friends, to buy for us, or buy on 3rd sites.
- The subscription for 1 MONTH is EXPENSIVE, 15usd aren't 10, i cant afford 6 months in one time, i need buy month by month, so i need pay 15usd month or do like i do (stop play for some months to collect money then pay 3 months at one time, for example)
- Near all of the shards are DEAD ZONES, i can tell 4 or 5 freeshards(pirate) with more active players then prod shards actually.
- The fresh start are so complicated (need create account on ea to buy uogt, need create account on game, need on uo site, need create on uoassist, need buy uoassist, and so on)
- Lack of regional servers (we have a lot of East and West servers, but don`t have one on South America) Blizzard, Riot, Valve and other companies have, EA is a bigger company and don`t have it sound very strange, i can play Diablo 3 with 30ms, but need play UO with 270ms)
- Lack of support ( i all-ready email UOTeam near 10 times, with suggestions, and offering help, never got ONE reply (at least a no thanks, we don`t want) , they simple ignore me, 2 years ago i found a big company sponsor, trying invest 20kUSD to have a PROD Server in South America, but 0 reply, we tried contact EA In our Country and no one here know nothing about UO and Broadsword ).
- Lack of Communication with players (why don`t broadsword have a guy, to promote the game on FB, why don't they have a program to incentive streams, just send an email to twitch, and make a partnership to uo players to incentive streams, or hitbox, (path of exile and runescape have partnership, and incentive streamers)
- 3rd party programs (lets be honest uo can`t be played at 100% without one, and UOASSIST are so weaker then a lot of FREE other options, like xxxx, xxxx, xxx, xxx) its strange when a PAID program, is weaker then FREE programs, why don`t make an APP Developer program, like Cipsoft? where users make programs, submit to UO, then uo aproves, or buy, or allow partnership with?

What i would love to see, but i probably wont will see:

- F2P
- Regional Servers
- Merge Servers (less servers, more areas)
- Publicity on Social Medias
- Streams Incentive
- Communication with Players (outside game)
- 3rd Party Program (or allow custom UI for classic client)
- High-Res
- More Competition Events (Imagine an Official PVP World Tourney (all prod shards) on Twitch? Every week some fights, Rankings and such)
- Better Store
- Buy all-in-one option (if a new account, in place of pay 20 + 20 + 10 + 10 + sub, 70usd for all with 90 days sub for example)

A lot of options, a lot of suggestions, but never a GM reply.

Last edited:

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ok, my 2 cents:

I play since 2002, i played and stooped a lot of times, i usually play 3 months stop 6 months play another 3 months, and let me tell why, A LOT OF PROBLEMS.

PROBLEMS

- The origin store really suck, in my country we simple can`t buy the UOSA, so we need ask for friends, to buy for us, or buy on 3rd sites.
- The subscription for 1 MONTH is EXPENSIVE, 15usd aren't 10, i cant afford 6 months in one time, i need buy month by month, so i need pay 15usd month or do like i do (stop play for some months to collect money then pay 3 months at one time, for example)
- Near all of the shards are DEAD ZONES, i can tell 4 or 5 freeshards(pirate) with more active players then prod shards actually.
- The fresh start are so complicated (need create account on ea to buy uogt, need create account on game, need on uo site, need create on uoassist, need buy uoassist, and so on)
- Lack of regional servers (we have a lot of East and West servers, but don`t have one on South America) Blizzard, Riot, Valve and other companies have, EA is a bigger company and don`t have it sound very strange, i can play Diablo 3 with 30ms, but need play UO with 270ms)
- Lack of support ( i all-ready email UOTeam near 10 times, with suggestions, and offering help, never got ONE reply (at least a no thanks, we don`t want) , they simple ignore me, 2 years ago i found a big company sponsor, trying invest 20kUSD to have a PROD Server in South America, but 0 reply, we tried contact EA In our Country and no one here know nothing about UO and Broadsword ).
- Lack of Communication with players (why don`t broadsword have a guy, to promote the game on FB, why don't they have a program to incentive streams, just send an email to twitch, and make a partnership to uo players to incentive streams, or hitbox, (path of exile and runescape have partnership, and incentive streamers)

- F2P
- Regional Servers
- Streams Incentive
- High-Res
- More Competition Events (Imagine an Official PVP World Tourney (all prod shards) on Twitch? Every week some fights, Rankings and such)
- Better Store
- Buy all-in-one option (if a new account, in place of pay 20 + 20 + 10 + 10 + sub, 70usd for all with 90 days sub for example)

Well your post is destined to be removed in a few minute, for breaking that cardinal rule of mentioning the unsanctioned script sites ;) Too bad as you made many valid points... Maybe they will just edit out the offenses..........

Last edited:

Gamer_Goblin

Sage
Stratics Veteran
The colored statement is - to me - the real reason we don't see new folks. It does take commitment and patience - which (again IMO) gamers who bounce all over are not willing to do. It's the days of nearly instant gratification and if you need to work for it, then it's not worth it.

I've played from Dec 1998 with a year off after AoS and then 6 years with RL issues and just came back. I think I have an idea of time needed to play this beast.

This is BS. There are highly successful games that are leaps and bounds more complicated than UO. FFXIV doesn't hand people everything. You can go through all of the main story and still be lost and overwhelmed at the end game. Even World of Warcraft requires commitment to a spec and reading up on it before players can do any end game content without waiting for the end of a patch.

The whole stereotype that new games are easier than old games is incorrect. I'd love to see an old school gamer platinum Demon Souls for example. The Witcher series is more in depth and larger in one game than all the non-MMO Ultimas combined and the single player Witcher 3 I'd argue has more content than this 20 year old MMO.

I went back to play some old school games I enjoyed as a kid and they aren't that hard at all. Legend of Zelda is laughable, Alter Beast is mind numbing dumb now, Shining Force 2 is easy and predictable, MIght and Magic World of Xeen is just a time hog and not challenging at all except for a riddle or two... There are some hard platformers like Ninja Gaiden, but really there are hard platformers to be had anywhere nowadays. Steam has hundreds.

The whole insta gratification thing is a myth.. Just because someone enjoys a FPS or MOBA or some other short round based game is not indicative that games are easier. Mobile games aren't something people use to claim to be gamers.

If anything this game is way beyond ridiculous in the amount of time required to get items. There's a big difference between wanting instant gratification and wanting an item at the end of a casual night's gaming. No one should be playing video games everyday longer than 2 hours and you definitely shouldn't need to grind weeks for one piece of gear to mask the lack of content.

Lord Gandalf

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Now why people wont play the official UO origin game, yes defo coz its not ftp... I still wonder if uo aint got copyrights and if they are able to sue those unofficial servers :/

Eärendil

Legendary Mall Santa
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ok, my 2 cents:

- F2P
- Regional Servers
- Streams Incentive
- High-Res
- Better Store

I am actively writing on this board for 5 years now and reading for 7-8 years. Not much compared to the legends. But I can tell you one thing, there are bazillions of threads about FTP, Merging and so on. Every week we get another thread. Sometimes twice a day. Everybody arguing here should be clear that you wont get the changes you want as long as there is a playerbase that pays for 3+ accounts via solid CC-suscription over years. That´s a gold-donkey for EA. If I were EA, I wouldnt change anything. Many others pointed that out. You guys are beating a dead horse.

Besides, I dont agree in many points. Do I want FTP? Maybe, dunno. Doesnt matter to me. Do I like regional servers? Of course. Server Merging: Get it, folks, it will NEVER happen. Just read the posts over the last 10 years. Can we stop this nosense? Just face reality.

Publicity? Yes!

Streams Incentive? No idea what that is.

Communication with players: Please, be so nice and acknowledge that they have improved ALOT in recent years. You just might not see it. Remember communincation in 2010? Website? Newsletter? Please... They are few people and they do much better than in those times when they were more.

3rd party program: Oh yes, good idea

High-Res: Of course! Would make the game more attractive. But I doubt it will come on large scale

Events: Oh, do whatever you want. You are a player. Just make player-events. I am offering many player events each month and you can do so also. Dont ask what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. This game is about player activities and roleplay.

Better store? Be patient, it is coming.

Buy all-in-one: Good idea!

If you ask me: Fighting cheaters will be important. But that will never happen.

I still love the game as it is and I will pay my 4 suscriptions until we get plugged. And this will be in 10 or 20 years, but not in near future.

Believe me

hardy-

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
in the @Jeff_Skalski era, he used to post on stratics all the time and reply on twitter all time, but he does not stay too long in the UO team.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I can see where shard mergers would be of benefit, transfer of characters and items to a merged shard would be very simple. What would not be simple is the housing. I and many others place our houses very strategically for specific purposes. For example I have wanted a very specific Castle in the trinsic swamp for....... well since I first saw it, a bit over a year ago I was able to obtain that location. Who would have to lose that location if say Legends and Baja were merged? A lot of my houses I could careless if I had to place some place else. The Zento Ghetto I have on Legends and GL are cute but not end game for me if I had to give them up. The Tsuki Garden, The Ant House, the Trin swamp castle...... Those are critical to my game play On Legends, Great Lakes and Siege..... Those would be end game losses for me. I would take my 15x10 wolf house over 2 atl castles Actually had someone offer me a tram atl castle for Wolfhome on ATL. and turned it down. I am that attached to that location and the wealth it generates. So who gets to choose that spot in a Merge? Atleast half of the people in a merge are going to be very unhappy for the housing reason.

F2P take 2-3 servers and make them F2P with limited content. Jagex/Runscape got that model right a long time ago. The Free servers were and are the gateway to the Sub servers. The free servers have adds and about 1/2 the content and items available. Or did I have not played RS in 5-6 years now but both Sub and free were thriving then.

3rd party programs, I actually have no problem with scripts that accomplish repitive task that have some mechanism to insure attended game play. Or Auto looting scripts It is a total pain to dig to the bottom of a pile of corpses. Nothing that automates PvP and PvM though. And no Auto unattended resource gathering or gold farming.

The account management even though I have no problems navigating it, a lot of people do. If that many people are having problems then it needs a serious makeover that make it easy to spend your money for everyone.

Each new expansion should have the previous content included and high seas should NOT be a separate booster pack way too much content requires high seas for it to be a side add on. Kings, Rustic and Gothic are fine as is as not having them is not game limiting in any significant way.. I have yet to get a top notch legendary that has the tag "Gothic Booster" Required. I have gotten a lot of good stuff with "High Seas" required. SA is not new anymore and it is way to expensive to start a new acct with SA, HS, and TOL. The folks that argue other wise, I guess think Ren, LBR, AOS, SE, ML should also still have to all be purchased separately.....

Publicity for UO is about as weak as it can get.......... If nothing else use that FB page for more than player screen shots :) I have not seen anything from the official UO FB page in my newsfeed for about a year now. Hell use the FB paid promotions. If I can use it for my little company and drop $500-$600 and generate 10 new subs for my products that Cost $3,000-$5,000 per year Seems like a good arrangement to me. My last adcamp on FB reached 281,000 people and generated around $45,000 in new business can't remember the exact cost but it was less than $1500. I would imagine EA/BS could field a much larger and better AdCamp than that.

Events..... Some of the best events I have attended have been the Player Run Events. It is what you make of it, the player base actually has a great deal of control of the day to day in game content.

Instant Gratification is NOT a myth I see it every day in RL and in game. That is the problem with people that feel they are deserving or entitled....... they don't believe they are. Whether it is one of these genius young folks that can't show up for work consistently but will show up like clock work on Friday for a paycheck and then pancake about how they deserve a living wage.... even though they missed 3 days of work out of 5 and complain that the guy who was there every day and came in on Saturday to get what was behind because the young geniuses couldn't be bothered to show up for earned 3x more and get some bonus money for going above and beyond. The same mind set applies in a game like UO. Booooo Waaaaa I want all the good stuff but I can't be bothered to earn it......... So lets cry until we get the easy button and it is handed to us because we *Deserve* it. Deny it all you want but it is true.

Martell

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I can see where shard mergers would be of benefit, transfer of characters and items to a merged shard would be very simple. What would not be simple is the housing.

F2P take 2-3 servers and make them F2P with limited content. Jagex/Runscape got that model right a long time ago. The Free servers were and are the gateway to the Sub servers. The free servers have adds and about 1/2 the content and items available. Or did I have not played RS in 5-6 years now but both Sub and free were thriving then.

Each new expansion should have the previous content included and high seas should NOT be a separate booster pack way too much content requires high seas for it to be a side add on. Kings, Rustic and Gothic are fine as is as not having them is not game limiting in any significant way.. I have yet to get a top notch legendary that has the tag "Gothic Booster" Required. I have gotten a lot of good stuff with "High Seas" required. SA is not new anymore and it is way to expensive to start a new acct with SA, HS, and TOL. The folks that argue other wise, I guess think Ren, LBR, AOS, SE, ML should also still have to all be purchased separately.....
Hey man, really original ideas and really insightful input. It kind of reminds me of the ideas that I put forward and you then responded with personal attacks about my education and income, what a coincidence.

For clarification though, what items/content would you not allow on a F2P server? I can see maybe restricting some landmasses, but restricting items sounds like too much. If anything that will just limit new players' ability to experiment with templates and play styles and will give them an incomplete idea of what the game contains.

I think a F2P server should just be a brand new, blank slate where you limit F2P accounts to 3 characters, no housing, and I guess limited quests/landmasses (don't have much in put on the last one cuz I only play in Fel and have never done a quest).

3rd party programs, I actually have no problem with scripts that accomplish repitive task that have some mechanism to insure attended game play. Or Auto looting scripts It is a total pain to dig to the bottom of a pile of corpses. Nothing that automates PvP and PvM though. And no Auto unattended resource gathering or gold farming.

So lets cry until we get the easy button and it is handed to us because we *Deserve* it.
Seems to be pretty contradictory statements. So scripting on some things isn't an "easy button" but scripting on other things is?

I think it's pretty plain and simple, scripting gives a HUGE advantage between those who do and those who do not. The only thing I can think of that doesn't effect other peoples' gameplay is scripting for skill gains. Most free servers allow you to script skill gains but will ban you for any other script use. I'd be in favor of UO taking this approach.

I think the prodo devs just need to actually enforce the rules; it's their full time job and yet Free Servers are somehow able to detect and ban cheaters at a far higher rate than you see on prodo UO.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hey man, really original ideas and really insightful input. It kind of reminds me of the ideas that I put forward and you then responded with personal attacks about my education and income, what a coincidence.

For clarification though, what items/content would you not allow on a F2P server? I can see maybe restricting some landmasses, but restricting items sounds like too much. If anything that will just limit new players' ability to experiment with templates and play styles and will give them an incomplete idea of what the game contains.

I think a F2P server should just be a brand new, blank slate where you limit F2P accounts to 3 characters, no housing, and I guess limited quests/landmasses (don't have much in put on the last one cuz I only play in Fel and have never done a quest).

Seems to be pretty contradictory statements. So scripting on some things isn't an "easy button" but scripting on other things is?

I think it's pretty plain and simple, scripting gives a HUGE advantage between those who do and those who do not. The only thing I can think of that doesn't effect other peoples' gameplay is scripting for skill gains. Most free servers allow you to script skill gains but will ban you for any other script use. I'd be in favor of UO taking this approach.

I think the prodo devs just need to actually enforce the rules; it's their full time job and yet Free Servers are somehow able to detect and ban cheaters at a far higher rate than you see on prodo UO.
I do see your education did not include how to read and comprehend, so......About the only way to respond to you is.

100_2648.JPG

Last edited:

Martell

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I do see your education did not include how to read and comprehend, so......About the only way to respond to you is.
Yeah, I mean, god forbid you actually articulate what you're saying.

"I think F2P is ok and Scripting is ok...but only under my own, totally subjective opinion of what is/isn't asking for an 'easy button.'" is essentially what you said. Vague as all hell and pretty much zero substance, please do expound and show how your ideas are different from the ideas I originally posted (which you then went on to attack like a complete jackass).

So are using scripts for skill gains and auto-opening doors an 'easy button' and if so, how is that different from using a script to auto-loot a corpse?

Should F2P players only be allowed to use Doom arties, minor arties, tokuno arties, or should we only stop them from using useful items, like an orny, lt. sash, crimmy, etc.?

Last edited:

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah, I mean, god forbid you actually articulate what you're saying.

"I think F2P is ok and Scripting is ok...but only under my own, totally subjective opinion of what is/isn't asking for an 'easy button.'" is essentially what you said. Vague as all hell and pretty much zero substance, please do expound and show how your ideas are different from the ideas I originally posted (which you then went on to attack like a complete jackass).

So are using scripts for skill gains and auto-opening doors an 'easy button' and if so, how is that different from using a script to auto-loot a corpse?

Should F2P players only be allowed to use Doom arties, minor arties, tokuno arties, or should we only stop them from using useful items, like an orny, lt. sash, crimmy, etc.?

Yawn........Go back and read it again. Until you understand it, take Yoda's advice........ Oh wait Yoda is over 30 so is not relevant.