• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Why do people hate PVP?

MoonCres

Sage
UNLEASHED
Can we start this over again in unleashed? Could be soooo much better... or if it is already send me link thanks.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The incentives I had back in the day is that if I killed you, I got ALL your stuff. That’s all the incentive I need and I enjoyed tremendously.

Then it was also much easier to replace - just go to Britain smith.

Good luck trying to do that in current state.
Thats a great reason to PvP with players that also want to do the same thing. Insurance replaces the blacksmith.
Once in a while on LS you will hear a group of PvPs having a lot of fun. I am glad they do. It is a play style, just not for me.

My son plays some black ops type game where they team up and shoot other teams. They are chatting and having a blast. They named their team after me, "My Names" Death Squad. They need no incentive or risk vs reward. They have fun!

Maybe the fun comes from playing with people who like the mechanics. It does not come from players forced into a game mechanic they do not like. Most of what players call PvP is forced upon one of the participants because the scrolls are in Fel.

I'll be honest I just don't do PvP because I'm really, really bad at it! But from the PvP videos I have seen where EC is used it seems ok to me. And another barrier I have is the language that prevents me from playing PvP in a group because I don't speak English on Discord, I'm good at reading only.

Enviado de meu moto g(7) play usando o Tapatalk

Oblivion

Journeyman
UNLEASHED
Thats a great reason to PvP with players that also want to do the same thing. Insurance replaces the blacksmith.
Once in a while on LS you will hear a group of PvPs having a lot of fun. I am glad they do. It is a play style, just not for me.

My son plays some black ops type game where they team up and shoot other teams. They are chatting and having a blast. They named their team after me, "My Names" Death Squad. They need no incentive or risk vs reward. They have fun!

Maybe the fun comes from playing with people who like the mechanics. It does not come from players forced into a game mechanic they do not like. Most of what players call PvP is forced upon one of the participants because the scrolls are in Fel.
Won’t disagree. Some people don’t like that aspect of the game. For me - it was what made the game.

I’m not saying I enjoyed getting destroyed in a dungeon and losing all my sh*t when I was a noob. I either discovered when to go with little risk, able to better defend myself, or found other people to play with.

Two reds are going to have a much more difficult time against five blues.

Yes - it sucked to lose your stuff. But it was rewarding as hell when you came out of a battle alive with your new shiny halberd of vanquishing as loot. ;)

Yet again. Risk vs. reward. I don’t see a whole ton of “risk” in this game anymore. That’s part of the problem.

And if people don’t like that - they can play production shards. :)

Sweetpeez

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Diz iz exactly why people hate pvp.

Wut uh weird day meez agreed wif poppz on da udder forumz now wif pawain here.
Meez blame 2020.
Tink itz time to gooz git drunk.

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Why PvP on UO when I can have great, fun, skilled matches against other players one on one on Street Fighter V?

Stussywear

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
PvP will be enjoyable when there are actual incentives to do it. Power scrolls isn’t enough. It’s pretty boring after a while. Way more fun as a thief to steal them then the other aspects.

If there was a good factions system, maybe. Maybe if there introduce more fun elements it would make if more interesting.

Prime example for vets that remember. The Abyss shard was one of the most fun shards ever when it was out. Multiple team capture the flag. Different bases scattered and I believe there was a centralized teleported location at the Demon temple which was a nightmare. It was super fun because it was different. Tactics were different. Polymorphing into a chicken to make it harder to see and target was an awesome tactic.

If they then add points, rewards, recognition, etc. - gives you a reason to do it.

Also - my opinion is that the majority of people that complain about PvP when it’s not about scripting, is that they aren’t good or don’t know how. There are a lot of ways to learn - try venturing out there and adapt. Not like you were any better at PvM, crafting, or anything else until you put some effort into it. I’ll admit myself, I’ve stayed away from crafting because I don’t get it and can get much better stuff that spawns from the environment.

But what do I know. I’m just a thief. ;)

Please carry on - so I have one place to go to steal things that aren’t insured...
Stealing from players is absolutely PVP. It's not traditionally what players think, when pvp is mentioned, but is absolutely pvp. I played a good portion of my early years in UO as a thief in Felucca on Pacific. I ran with the most elite group of pickpockets, and remember luring someone out to disarm them and steal their weapon right out of their pack as it hit, and watch the fear take over their face when they realized they were done for.

Legacy will hopefully bring back a ton of balance, because items, even if insured, will not be so overwhelming to overcome, that its pointless. PVP is definitely broken right now, but it hasn't always been this way.

Oblivion

Journeyman
UNLEASHED
Stealing from players is absolutely PVP. It's not traditionally what players think, when pvp is mentioned, but is absolutely pvp. I played a good portion of my early years in UO as a thief in Felucca on Pacific. I ran with the most elite group of pickpockets, and remember luring someone out to disarm them and steal their weapon right out of their pack as it hit, and watch the fear take over their face when they realized they were done for.

Legacy will hopefully bring back a ton of balance, because items, even if insured, will not be so overwhelming to overcome, that its pointless. PVP is definitely broken right now, but it hasn't always been this way.
I won’t disagree. Most people associated PVP nowadays as combat vs. combat. :)

As did I (just not on Pacific) - long live the disarm thief, one of the most OP templates ever. :)

Dragkarah

Journeyman
UNLEASHED
If PvP is so fun, why do you need a reward?
@thetwootherplayersthatpvp.
If PVM is so fun why do you need loot?

If football is fun, why do you keep score?

Part of it is because pvp is expensive now... my bok mage suit cost about 3 plat... it would be nice to be able to do things to replace that that I enjoyed...

A goal increases competition... there are simply competitive people that enjoy it.

Dragkarah

Journeyman
UNLEASHED
I'll be honest I just don't do PvP because I'm really, really bad at it! But from the PvP videos I have seen where EC is used it seems ok to me. And another barrier I have is the language that prevents me from playing PvP in a group because I don't speak English on Discord, I'm good at reading only.

Enviado de meu moto g(7) play usando o Tapatalk
to be fair you dont really have to be fluent in english... X is target, X needs heals, X dot. You could speak no english and if you could memorize about 15 phrases be just fine

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If PVM is so fun why do you need loot?

If football is fun, why do you keep score?

Part of it is because pvp is expensive now... my bok mage suit cost about 3 plat... it would be nice to be able to do things to replace that that I enjoyed...

A goal increases competition... there are simply competitive people that enjoy it.
Because there is loot. I want to earn it and keep it. Not have some jerk come take it.

mspossi

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ah, see and that info i'm missing. Why would anyone even want to script PVP? How could that even be fun? But, I can totally see how that would make PVP unenjoyable for all.
is it true, the last time i did pvp before i started attacking my opponent he was already healing ?!
it may sound funny, but isn't it how you take down an opponent by scripting?
Unfortunately in Europe, there is no more pvp.

mspossi

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Getting killed by someone and them taking my stuff is somehow not fun for me.

Gee I don't know why.
Hey Pawain, I agree with you, I also have a sampire who spawns, it's pretty frustrating that it takes you forty or fifty minutes to kill a spawn boss, and a pkiller just waits for you to finish and steals all of your work!
And at Europa it takes centuries for you to see the cheerful pkiller again ... to have the possibility to fight on equal terms.

Dragkarah

Journeyman
UNLEASHED
is it true, the last time i did pvp before i started attacking my opponent he was already healing ?!
it may sound funny, but isn't it how you take down an opponent by scripting?
Unfortunately in Europe, there is no more pvp.
how would he be healing... before you were attacking him...

Dragkarah

Journeyman
UNLEASHED
Use a trap box just before getting to your target. Small amount of damage and bandage is started
Yea you can do that, but how would a script know to do that before the user was going to be attacked...

Is it able to read minds?

Stussywear

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you PvM on a regular basis, you kill hundreds of things with no expectation of reward, other than fun.
Because there is loot. I want to earn it and keep it. Not have some jerk come take it.
Which is it?

Hey Pawain, I agree with you, I also have a sampire who spawns, it's pretty frustrating that it takes you forty or fifty minutes to kill a spawn boss, and a pkiller just waits for you to finish and steals all of your work!
And at Europa it takes centuries for you to see the cheerful pkiller again ... to have the possibility to fight on equal terms.
You can fight on equal terms, a Sampire is a very strong template to fight back with. Get a cheap brittle splinter weapon that swings fast and has atleast disarm on it. You'll be golden.
Use a trap box just before getting to your target. Small amount of damage and bandage is started
That would work, but honestly most dexers rolling a 210 stam suit heal in just a few seconds. Alot of the time during the battle, people feel like things are on a different time frame then they really are.

I know when i play call of duty and die in a shoot out, i always think i shot them first... until i watch video playback and realize in the moment i processed it differently then in reality.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Which is it?
We get both. Win Win Thats why we want to keep what we get. And the devs must agree:

Q: I do not want to play a game where another player can kill me or steal from me - is the new shard a place for me? Is it consensual PvP and can I play without being harassed? How does Trammel/Felucca fit into the game?

The traditional concept of “Trammel and Felucca” does not apply to a UO: NL shard. There is only one facet (The World) and within that facet we will support those who like to participate in PvP via an updated Vice vs. Virtue framework while those who would rather participate in PvM content can do so without fear of being killed. That is not to say there will not be areas that will be free from danger - our primary design goal, however, is to give players the choice of participating or not.

Q: Will there be item insurance?

Our design goals include providing features in place to prevent loss of items,
but also additional features to offer the thrill of risk vs. reward found in old school Ultima Online. We look forward to this being the topic of a future “Feature Spotlight” where we can dive deeper into the details of how we plan to deliver on this goal. One thing we can say for sure is that none of these features will look or feel like how item insurance works on UO: Live.

---------------------------

Maybe you will get a cookie if you kill me. :lol:

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
For the PS champing for folks to get their PS, there should be "instanced" state, where others should not be able to to :get in: just like some bosses like Medusa, Mel etc. till the encounter finishes. And at the end, allow the champ farmer to just recall the h*ell out of there, avoiding the star room traps, and exit points etc, where the murderers and thieves wait. They should make at least one champ like this. Easy coding, mechanics already there. This would stop people from stealing your 20-30 minutes hard work, and get rid of that frustration and let down.
OR
Allow a flag on your character for PvP or no PvP, that once clicked, will last 24 hours. This way you will not get ripped off by social psychopaths as much. Easy peasy stuff to code for a high-school kid even with basic coding knowledge.
But absolutely none of these will ever happen, due to anxiety that you will miss the "thrill" of "risk vs reward",
and the "thrill" of "danger".
This may prevent the "blues" sitting at the bank, from sending their :reds: when they get info that Rikktor champ is being worked on etc.
But..WT*f no changes to these will ever happen, so if you want the PS 120 for xyz you will always have to do 100 champs to get the right one, and expect to be raided so good luck getting the 120 tactics one for your fighter, unless you just buy one from the uo.gold avatar seller, or have 160M to dish out for just this one.
The majority of players are not PKers, or even PVPers.
This is a useless conversation, thread, and chain of responses/answers to the OP. The real answer is clear whether we choose to see it or not. It all depends on Dev whims, and what she wants to do about it. Leave it way unbalanced as it is or ?
Just my 10 cents. Just a waste of posts on a subject beat to death long time ago.:bdh:

elster

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
They will never admit it, but the real answer is that people are salty they aren't good at it and blame it on 3rd party programs to make themselves feel better

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It's not the pvp people hate, it's the culture around it.

Cheating, immaturity, duping, raging in chat for hours every day...it wears you down pretty fast.
I second the above, but for me personally - I grew out of it. I PvPed plenty while in college. Nowadays I have a stressful and demanding job. When I get home I want to chill and relax. Conflicts, stress, epeen contests are pretty much the opposite of what I look for in my RnR time.

The Doctor

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
3rd party programs are part of it. It involves a lot of running someone down compared to other games. The removal of Red status instantly and cheaply is a big part of it for me as well. When Red you know someone is KoS and you don't get a count for attacking first. There is a big advantage in this game putting someone on the defensive first that you lose if the PK's are always blue. I have a few RL friends who are in pvp guilds on atl and enjoy it but that is pvp groups searching out other pvp groups to fight. Not roaming around having a blue stop by you then PK you cause there is no real Red status. Don't get me wrong they don't always win. Then even if I do when I feel like it was a waste of my personal time to run them down and kill them. Either way it's like the random guy at the gas station trying to get you to give them money. Just a waste of time.

If I want pvp there is world of tanks for some random fun as well as WoW and many others with; balanced systems, great targeting options, lag free play, rewards central to pvp, and to top it off are actually fun.

Some people believe that auto mated actions are not possible, like instant removing of blood oath. Or that casting on the run isn't possible, this is when myself and a few others quit wasting our time with pvp after confirming what we were seeing was happening with quite a few people because they saw it as well. Even if these things do not happen anymore the system itself is tiresome compared to others.

Drakelord

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Awards
Yeah, there is a guild on Siege called NEW. All they do is help new players. I can give you contact info for them if you want, just DM me here.

Yeah, everyone loves me soooo much.
Great guild for sure. *AS for feeling the love*, same for me, ever since I showed the images of blockage in game while attending the King's Council. Another good guild is the GIL, (honor guild) Very good people who will help in so many ways. I been away from Siege for a while as the Events there are not meeting the times I can really play, but overall I have had good times and bad times there. The worse for me was the Hi5, from Atlantic, those people know how to bring the curtains down on a great event quickly.

Goldberg-Chessy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's not the pvp people hate, it's the culture around it.

Cheating, immaturity, duping, raging in chat for hours every day...it wears you down pretty fast.
Somewhat true but there is a lot of the same culture around house placement, item dealing, and spawning outside of Felucca so not sure about the wearing you down part. It's everywhere in the game.

Cymidei

UO Pacific News Reporter
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Campaign Supporter
Who wants to PVP on this old claptrap of a game? There are much better PVP gaming experiences to be had these days. Seriously, if you base your ego off your "skills" in PVP in UO you are quite a specimen and should be displayed in the Smithsonian.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Who wants to PVP on this old claptrap of a game? There are much better PVP gaming experiences to be had these days. Seriously, if you base your ego off your "skills" in PVP in UO you are quite a specimen and should be displayed in the Smithsonian.

John Knighthawke

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Somewhat true but there is a lot of the same culture around house placement, item dealing, and spawning outside of Felucca so not sure about the wearing you down part. It's everywhere in the game.
It's been very contagious over many years, yes. A long-standing legacy to UO's founders' oldest error.

elster

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Then enlighten us, oh great PVP gatekeeper. What are these other games?

Percivalgoh

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Long ago Ultima Online was an adventure. No one knew what to expect. But it became clear that people who enjoyed harassing others had the advantage. So in the system of UO in good verses bad it was easier to be bad. The same consequences for good and bad behavior except for the slight disadvantage of the karma system. I originally thought his would be like a virtual world where law and order would occur because that is what people want. But instead it is just a game and whoever has the fastest internet connection and helpful programs was the winner. No right verses wrong, good verses bad it's just a game. I became disillusioned with pvp and as soon as Trammel happened I quit doing it.

MoonCres

Sage
UNLEASHED
So back to original post question why do I or maybe others hate pvp? Pshhh simple.... when i die in game i cry when i cry i come post on stratics when i get negative feed back i cry some more. All of this results in my tissue box next to cpu being empty which is reserved for my happy time. Duh!

Dragkarah

Journeyman
UNLEASHED
I've said it once and I'll say it again... Most people who "hate" pvp suck at it and refuse to learn and get better.

Like when me and Manifest slaughtered all of UWF at my fel house... For hours... Until their members lost so much insurance money to us they started dropping suits.

I was on a mage and lived in San Diego (2010), so my ping was 120+... But their response was we were "hackers"... Even though we all we were running was UOA and calling targets in ventrillo...

No... The way we were able to embarrass them 2v30 wasnt because they had no idea what they were doing... It was because we were running some program that magically made our chars do more damage and take less... Lol

elster

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Go ask any 10 year old about Fortnite, Call of Duty, etc. Heck boys, there is probably more PVP going on in Animal Crossing right now.
Trashes UO pvp then touts games my 10 year old cousin is good at.

We all know the real reason is that you are salty that you stink so you sink to insulting people good that are good at it. ‍:rolleyes:

dvv

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I've said it once and I'll say it again... Most people who "hate" pvp suck at it and refuse to learn and get better.

Like when me and Manifest slaughtered all of UWF at my fel house... For hours... Until their members lost so much insurance money to us they started dropping suits.

I was on a mage and lived in San Diego (2010), so my ping was 120+... But their response was we were "hackers"... Even though we all we were running was UOA and calling targets in ventrillo...

No... The way we were able to embarrass them 2v30 wasnt because they had no idea what they were doing... It was because we were running some program that magically made our chars do more damage and take less... Lol
Are you sure it was UWF? They don’t even go into Fel as a guild. Also....fighting them for hours?

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Some of the comments in this thread have pretty much summed up why people don't choose to be involved in PvP, I'm not having a go at anyone in particular, I'm just saying... *shrugs*

chester rockwell

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I love PvP. As of yet, no games AI is as challenging as taking on other skilled players. I still dueled friends outside the guild house (when I was actively playing). I viewed it as a glorified game of chess, it can be a lot of fun.

I stopped PvP in UO when most everyone I knew switched to using programs that are technically illegal yet ignored by those in power. Not faulting my friends, if the majority of PvPers use X program then to be competitive you have to also esp when there’s ZERO consequences. When most everything is automated in PvP... there’s no real skill involved, no having to learn timing, no having to learn spells or practice anything. Thats the current state of most UO PvP. Fact.

I hung around a few yrs after mostly quitting PvP but it got old fast. My friends kept me ingame longer then the game. I’ve moved to other games that use anti-cheat software and/or have admins actively removing cheaters. No game is ever entirely cheat free but atleast other games try. UO threw in the towel yrs ago. How many yrs now since they told us ‘a new approved programs list would be out shortly’ ? I haven’t logged in to play in prob close to 2 yrs, only log in now once a week to refresh boats.

I don’t hate PvP, I love it but why sit down for a good game of chess when your opponent gets 3 moves to ur 1 & randomly just moves multiple pieces whenever they want? That’s how I feel abt UO PvP and it’s a game I refuse to take part in. There’s plenty of other games around that on the surface atleast seem fair and balanced.
You need to come back for a drinking wednesday or sumpin. Teckst ol' dipcake so we can holler at ya!