• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Why do people hate PVP?

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Oh darn, a little risk vs reward. Wanting it handed to you that easily? Pathetic.
Thats all you could come up with? Whats that got to do with you saying haters gotta hate. Basically you cant come up with a reason that debates why ppl should not hate pvp.

croy6325

Journeyman
UNLEASHED
It's not the pvp people hate, it's the culture around it.

Cheating, immaturity, duping, raging in chat for hours every day...it wears you down pretty fast.
absolutely on point. Anytime someone dies 1v1, the winner feels the need to flex on chat, followed by the onslaught of accusations about cheating or scripting and the ensuing back and forth completely takes over the chat logs. The community is far too toxic.

Stussywear

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There are some definite issues that the unapproved programs cause (relative tile targeting) but honestly they give about the same advantages as the enhanced client compared to classic. Curious what specifically is so overwhelming to overcome? Just curious specific things or has it become the scapegoat for unwanting or afraid to lose in pvp. I mean, you lose 9 to 25k.. big whoop.

Ultima_Dork

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I will be perfectly honest.. I hate pvp because im terrible at it.
Back in the day I did factions.. i was dead more than alive. Im just not good at pvp in uo.
Put me in a FPS and I do pretty good.. uo....oh so bad.
uo has just always been my safe zone of i suck at this aspect of the game but i can do this other part pretty good so thats all i want to do.

Stussywear

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think if given the chance, legacy pvp will be more inviting for all. Why? Nobody has the edge of years, or time on their side to build unbeatable odds. Theres always more blues, then reds. Nothing more liberating when I killed my first pk in 2000. Was it solo? No. Did I care? No. I felt amazing. It was an adrenaline rush, and it made the 100 deaths I had before that, worth it.

I didnt like a lot of foods when I was a kid. And I didnt want to try them as an adult because I "didnt like them". Guess what? Most of those foods, as an adult, are great. Stop limiting your present, because of your past. Just some friendly advice :)

The Doctor

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
There are some definite issues that the unapproved programs cause (relative tile targeting) but honestly they give about the same advantages as the enhanced client compared to classic. Curious what specifically is so overwhelming to overcome? Just curious specific things or has it become the scapegoat for unwanting or afraid to lose in pvp. I mean, you lose 9 to 25k.. big whoop.
The advantage over EC is in many ways some of which being the the auto cure auto heal scripts. It is not the money involved with insurance I am concerned about it's having the efforts that take time taken away from me with the unfair advantage players have using scripts. I do venture to fel from time to time but not in search of pvp but when I do and run into pvp it makes it less worth my time to ever return. There should be nothing in this game that requires you to involve yourself in this games backwoods banjo playing pvp system. If you want to pvp there should be rewards that measure up enough to sate the desire for pvp in this game that should not involve killing players who are spec'd for PvE. I think there will be more of a balance of this on the new shard system with pvp retained to the VvV system for the most part.

Lord Nabin

High Council Sage - Greater Sosaria
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
Always stop and head back the direction you came when you hear a banjo playing in the woods. It is known

Stussywear

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The advantage over EC is in many ways some of which being the the auto cure auto heal scripts. It is not the money involved with insurance I am concerned about it's having the efforts that take time taken away from me with the unfair advantage players have using scripts. I do venture to fel from time to time but not in search of pvp but when I do and run into pvp it makes it less worth my time to ever return. There should be nothing in this game that requires you to involve yourself in this games backwoods banjo playing pvp system. If you want to pvp there should be rewards that measure up enough to sate the desire for pvp in this game that should not involve killing players who are spec'd for PvE. I think there will be more of a balance of this on the new shard system with pvp retained to the VvV system for the most part.
I agree there will be more balance and less ability to cheat on legacy, thats why Im so excited. But im sorry, saying auto cure is a big problem? lol. Its a 1 button macro to cure. C'mon man. Uoassist can do it. I kill pvpers on my sampire ALL the time. Just carry 1-2 extra weapons that have pvp mods, and boom. You're good to go.

Val-Tur

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have played MMO's with both free for all pvp and battle grounds - it all winds up with the same behavior & culture. PvP in general just simply brings out the worst human behavior. I simply hate the entire culture and the behaviors that it brings out. In unrestricted pvp, "good" people behave just as awful as "bad" people.

Stussywear

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have played MMO's with both free for all pvp and battle grounds - it all winds up with the same behavior & culture. PvP in general just simply brings out the worst human behavior. I simply hate the entire culture and the behaviors that it brings out. In unrestricted pvp, "good" people behave just as awful as "bad" people.
People act just as terrible in all aspects of the game. The glorious part about the pvp talk in UO is , 90% is done in gen chat. Change channels. Boom. Fixed.

The Doctor

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
It chain heals without the button being pressed it is a script same with auto heal that is why it is auto.

Stussywear

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It chain heals without the button being pressed it is a script same with auto heal that is why it is auto.
Chain heals what? Potions have timers. Spells if fizzled during a script mess up the entire script and they cant cast anything for like 10 seconds. Im confused what you are referring to? Im well researched on the scripts people are using,. Ive never seen any that chain heal over and over. That'd be about the dumbest script ever.

The Doctor

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Well between the instant targeting and reflexful level of healing of some who use script I guess by your opinion the fastest players must use some scripts very well. Never miss a cooldown or a chance to cure on cool down as soon as poisoned. They also don't use anything that allows them to never miss a healing cooldown either. Or cast on the run as we have all seen. Or any of the things we have seen of which the list is long.
As you are your own expert no one is changing your mind so to you sir I bid. Good Day!

Stussywear

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I mean, L*** of FS uses the most illegal program there is.. Ive never seen his videos show casting on the run. Hitting a cure potion isnt very hard to do, it has zero cooldown between using them. Unless lethal, they usually work first try. I agree there is a macro that you can target hostile (orange, grey red), and it does create a disadvantage. Honestly though, If classic grabbed bars as easy and enhanced, I'd not even care about that one.

I am open to dialogue, but i refuse to have people throw false claims to the real problems. The biggest problems are relative tile scripts (teleporting, walls) IMO. Its just hard to take people serious that say they dont pvp, but apparently know about all the problems with PVP, you know what i mean?

Stussywear

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Im all for calling the cheaters and cheats when they are actually there, but half the time its made up crap that isnt even happening. Its probably a good part of the reason the Dev team doesnt take it seriously, because of the ridiculous claims.

The Doctor

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
It is a Good Day! Isn't it? 969e13b8919fba3e0ce91a50babffb6c.jpg
But the question was why do you hate PvP. Not tell us why you hate PvP so I can tell you that you are all wrong thread. If you would like to start a new thread called " Why you are wrong to hate PvP in UO" Feel free.
But from all the pvp haters in UO I say GOOD DAY SIR!

Dorset

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
PVP is for people of the same mindset wanting to participate.
Not for someone going about the game their own way, getting ganked, getting mouthed with the standard nerd rage you see in UO today.

PVP has a large part in UO, but they should have tailored it to people who actually want to play that style of game. The map is large enough for everyone to enjoy the style of play they want too.

The game has moved on, times have changed and you don't have the magic of being a teenager without a care in the world playing a video game all day/night. Most people want to come and log on, get there few hours fix and carry on with their life.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Always stop and head back the direction you came when you hear a banjo playing in the woods. It is known

You’ll know you’re really in trouble when someone yells, “Squeal like a piggy.”

Stussywear

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It is a Good Day! Isn't it? View attachment 112255
But the question was why do you hate PvP. Not tell us why you hate PvP so I can tell you that you are all wrong thread. If you would like to start a new thread called " Why you are wrong to hate PvP in UO" Feel free.
But from all the pvp haters in UO I say GOOD DAY SIR!
You're absolutely right. It's a Why do you hate PVP? So, I hate PVP because i like to make up reasons on why I hate pvp? Stick to your memes if all you're going to do is not even identify real things.

It's called fact checking. Just like anything in life, if someone makes some ******** up, they deserve to be called on it.

You hate pvp because you think the pvpers are jerks? Okay, good for you. Dont do it.
But if all you got is "H4X, expl01ts, cheaters!" without any real bearing on the actual cheating that's going on, do us all a favor and find a new thread.

Attachments

The Doctor

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
No proof no links to disprove it's called opinion not fact checking.
Let''s get back to the true topic at hand. 8npaa.jpg

Stussywear

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No proof no links to disprove it's called opinion not fact checking.
Let''s get back to the true topic at hand. View attachment 112257
It's your opinion that people cheat, but you have zero proof.

Youre one of those guys who sees an article from omgnews120934.com and forwards it on your personal social media, because it says news in the website name so it's gotta be true, amirite?

The Doctor

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
It is your opinion that people don't cheat, but you have zero proof offered as well.
I am not a person who knows what omgnews is but I see you do good for you.
You say things are not possible but offer no proof. Just because you yourself say something is not possible does not mean it is. Casting on the run is something many of us have seen as well as many of the other things you deny possible in other threads. Great just because you have not seen how it is done does not mean it has not been done. Those of us who hate PvP in UO have seen many things you would deny based on your knowledge of scripts but it does not make them untrue.
Like I said this is a post for us to say why we hate pvp not to debate with you. 24830_106531366037234_8205249_n.jpg

Stussywear

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
An anon source just sent me that. Care to comment? I guess i'd like proof this isnt true. Thanks.

Stussywear

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Also, I never said there wasnt illegal cheats out there. I'm saying the ones you're making up arent actual things. And the more people make uninformed comments, and pages, and emails about things that dont exist, the less serious Mesanna and her team are going to take these reports. So educate yourself, or dont.

The Doctor

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Confronted you with facts you choose to ignore you crumble to ash and dust I see. Show proof, links and detailed facts as to why these are not possible to your knowledge.
Ok can we ditch this nutter and get on with why we hate pvp in UO.

Last edited:

Giggles

Wielder of Ebil Cookies
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I don't do much other than pvp, but I can agree that the culture and the crap talking gets old. If I hate anything about pvp that would be it.
As far as cheating goes.... Yes, some people do use cheats, however, most of those cheats can be countered and/or used against them if you know what you're doing. There has been more than once that I have followed someone around for 5 minutes casting nothing but curse and poison over and over again making them blow through all of their apples and pots and locking their script up. No matter how many cheats and scripts are out there, not one of them gives you the ability to automatically win.

With that said, I have been accused of cheating hundreds of times throughout the years, and all I play is the Enhanced client. No scripts, I have not modified my client in any way, and have several youtube videos showing my gameplay and taskbar. That doesn't stop the accusations though, because people in this game, culture, and community, would rather hang their hat on cheats being the reason for their loss, rather than admit someone might just be better than them. It has become the goto accusation rather than learning what you did wrong, or what the other person did better.

The Doctor

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
You put yourself in the position of proving why you think someone is wrong in their hated of PvP in UO. The burden of proof is on you. If you can not offer more than opinion without anything but that to back it up you have failed of prove anything at all. I did not set out to prove anything but answer the question " why do I hate PVP?". My answer is based on personal experience I did not document because I did no set to prove anyone wrong. I can state my opinion based on experience. But if someone wishes to prove what I have seen with my own eyes wrong the burden is on them not myself. Offer no solid evidence in life and change no minds...just saying.

Last edited:

Stussywear

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You put yourself in the position of proving why you think someone is wrong in their hated of UO. The burden of proof is on you. If you can not offer more than opinion without anything but that to back it up you have failed of prove anything at all. I did not set out to prove anything but answer the question " why do I hate PVP?". My answer is based on personal experience I did not document because I did no set to prove anyone wrong. I can state my opinion based on experience. But if someone wishes to prove what I have seen with my own eyes wrong the burden is on them not myself. Offer no solid evidence in life and change no minds...just saying.
It's hard to argue with someone who cannot grasp common sense. You are not posting opinions. You're posting incorrect exaggerations.

If im going to make an accusation, i would offer proof. You can dislike UO pvp for whatever reason you like, but its becoming more apparent the real reason is the lack of ability combined with a great imagination. Good for you! Have a great night!

The Doctor

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Lies are words upon words and that is all you offer. download.jpg

Last edited:

Cailleach

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't hate pvp. I dislike a good number of pvp'ers though. These are not humans I wish to be around, so, I choose to stay away from them. If others want to pvp, cool, I wish em luck. It's not for me though.

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I stopped PvP in UO when most everyone I knew switched to using programs that are technically illegal yet ignored by those in power. Not faulting my friends, if the majority of PvPers use X program then to be competitive you have to also esp when there’s ZERO consequences. When most everything is automated in PvP... there’s no real skill involved, no having to learn timing, no having to learn spells or practice anything. Thats the current state of most UO PvP. Fact.
This sums it up for me. I did enjoy PvP many years ago and would do the same thing; you would duel people or spar to get better. People would talk trash and then they would duel and it would be settled (for the most part people would say "good fight" after it was over). This is when it was all about timing and skill. Now PvP is about random things like casting focus & damage eater kicking in and people using those programs to script things. All I hear in chat is a bunch of whining and dodging from all the kiddies and people talking about 8v9 in field fighting. Again I don't blame people for going that route when that's basically what is needed at this point if that's what you enjoy but I don't agree with using scripts etc and lack of honor. I'd be interested in what PvP would look like in the new shard but Messana already said they aren't actively going to do anything about cheaters so likely won't be something I would do.

Naxatilor Feluka

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Captain norrington pretty much nailed it. "Worn down" is perfect wording. It was funny, and then sad, and then boring, and then annoying, and then painfully ignorant. It has only gotten worse over the years. I play a new game now, I sell 1601034909334.png to pvpers, who buy items from my vendors with it, and then buy it back from me. Thats the best kind of pvp these days. The kind that doesnt know Im running a monopoly on their uo soul.

Current pvp ; Setup those scripts, get pinged by those ghost cams, login to the map server [dont want to get lost!], make sure your 'shot-caller' is turned up so you can hear thru the crying in discord.. To raid.. a couple of trammys trying to get pet scrolls.. Then they can roll on the meager profits by the number of players that attend. This is certainly not a profitable venture, and I would argue more griefing than pvp more often than not.

Oh. Unless you count 'Yew gate.' But if we are talking about 'pvp' I dont believe an area defined by a guard zone has any place in that conversation.

So to answer the question "Why do people hate pvp?" .. What is ultima pvp? Being griefed on a pvm template at a champ spawn? As norrington stated, the vast majority of pvpers are not fun to play with.

Have you seen global chat lately? Not exactly stimulating. Have you ever once seen a 'pvper' able to even count the members of their own team with accuracy? This is what pvp is. Very bad, very dumb players, that only find success in the absence of good players. [Who largely have moved on, to games that have more balance and competitive integrity].

I will happily buy an overpriced pet scroll now and then, Ill let you people play in the mud.

Looking forward to an early retirement. :) Enjoy.

Last edited:

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I enojy PvP when it's quick and to some degree fair.

In UO the playing fields is too unlevelled, gear, scrolls, etc. very expensive in the first place. There is no match-making at all. The poor noob is pitted directly against the highly organized 10 people guild. And once killed and looted it's a chore to find a healer, reequip consumables, armor, etc.

I don't mind PvP when it's just getting owned, but being able to quickly jump back into the fight. I causally PvP in a lot of games, just not UO.

Plus instead of GGs, UO PvPers (or whats left) rather enjoy to smack talk. Not my cup of tea either.

Last edited:

Dragkarah

Journeyman
UNLEASHED
Doesn't matter... what will end up happening is the cheaters are going to cheat... use their hacks and beat all the sheep into the ground which is going to cause the sheep to get annoyed and go back to playing on the other regular shard which will ultimately end up having just the wolves as Dot puts it left to battle it out amongst themselves but without sheep to easily crush and take things from it won't be fun for them either and they too will return to farming sheep on the regular shards hoping to come across the easy targets... setting up their ghost cams and everything else so they can "dominate" fel... as per usual...

No PvP isn't fun when it is mostly people using hacks and cheats that allow them to ignore most of the items on the map that would stop up the normal player... using hacks that cause normal players to crash or lag up... so they can sweep in for the easy kill... why anyone finds that fun is beyond me...

I'm sorry but running in with a group of 4 people to jump one solo person for .2 seconds of "kill" hitting a person what 1 time each if even... isn't fun... waiting till the boss is up and nearly dead to jump in killing the people running the spawn with 2x or 3x the people again isn't fun...

Working really hard at the spawn so you can get the boss up only to have some group of pks run in and take all your hard work again isn't fun... finishing to go through the star room where a gang of 5 to 6 people are waiting fields up and all to gank the crap out of you and take your hard-earned stuff... again NOT fun...

Once upon a time, I knew when PvP was "fun" when it was for a cause or a reason... when it was such that each side was mostly evenly matched and the fights lasted more than a mere 30 seconds... and everyone had a good time without trash talk... without temper tantrums and a bunch of useless drama... that was fun... when we did things for RP... and it was all in good fun... no one lost anything but maybe a notch on a belt or some pride... or when you finally killed that one player one on one where you were fairly evenly matched or even sometimes outmatched but you got super lucky that one time and beat them... but as a general rule most of what I see now on posts in screenshots and video's is full of illegal 3rd party apps and hacks... and to me, if you gotta cheat like that to play then you got no business playing... you are nothing but a cheat go play on some free server and exploit the heck out of it so you never lose... if you are going to cheat to win... that ain't winning...

So yeah... don't care at all for PvP anymore... that ship sailed long, long time ago...
You keep saying that but I'd be willing to bet you've never actually attempted to learn pvp

Oblivion

Journeyman
UNLEASHED
PvP will be enjoyable when there are actual incentives to do it. Power scrolls isn’t enough. It’s pretty boring after a while. Way more fun as a thief to steal them then the other aspects.

If there was a good factions system, maybe. Maybe if there introduce more fun elements it would make if more interesting.

Prime example for vets that remember. The Abyss shard was one of the most fun shards ever when it was out. Multiple team capture the flag. Different bases scattered and I believe there was a centralized teleported location at the Demon temple which was a nightmare. It was super fun because it was different. Tactics were different. Polymorphing into a chicken to make it harder to see and target was an awesome tactic.

If they then add points, rewards, recognition, etc. - gives you a reason to do it.

Also - my opinion is that the majority of people that complain about PvP when it’s not about scripting, is that they aren’t good or don’t know how. There are a lot of ways to learn - try venturing out there and adapt. Not like you were any better at PvM, crafting, or anything else until you put some effort into it. I’ll admit myself, I’ve stayed away from crafting because I don’t get it and can get much better stuff that spawns from the environment.

But what do I know. I’m just a thief. ;)

Please carry on - so I have one place to go to steal things that aren’t insured...

John Knighthawke

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
A lot of the posts in this thread really should answer the question in the thread title (sort of -- see below). Lots of insults, lots of vapid talk of "risk versus reward" or "easy mode" that doesn't appreciate just how little risk there actually is for the PKs, especially in the old days, talks of the need for "incentives" to do things that supposedly everyone wants to do by nature, and such. Of course even the question itself is loaded and potentially inaccurate. "Hating" and "not wanting to engage in" something are two different questions.

*shrugs*

Oblivion

Journeyman
UNLEASHED
The incentives I had back in the day is that if I killed you, I got ALL your stuff. That’s all the incentive I need and I enjoyed tremendously.

Then it was also much easier to replace - just go to Britain smith.

Good luck trying to do that in current state.