• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Why cant we have universal shopping???

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you feel that strongly about your shard, fine.

However, I find it laughable that you and others feel so strongly about your own shard...but you want all the benefits of accessing Atl only when it suits you. Universal shopping therefore is a dumb idea. If you want to shop on Atlantic...play Atlantic, if you're determined to play on an unpopulated shard...shop on that unpopulated shard.
On the flip side if you want to play Atlantic........ Play and Farm on Atlantic and stop sucking everything of value from the other shards :)

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If you feel that strongly about your shard, fine.

However, I find it laughable that you and others feel so strongly about your own shard...but you want all the benefits of accessing Atl only when it suits you. Universal shopping therefore is a dumb idea. If you want to shop on Atlantic...play Atlantic, if you're determined to play on an unpopulated shard...shop on that unpopulated shard.
Excuse me, show me one post that says I want universal shopping. I also bet you are one of the people that loves to come to "DEAD" shards to collect goodies to take back to ATL aren't you.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Excuse me, show me one post that says I want universal shopping. I also bet you are one of the people that loves to come to "DEAD" shards to collect goodies to take back to ATL aren't you.
And once again I say you know nothing about me... I do not vendor anything at all... the 2 vendors I do own are on GLs and stand empty 24/7...

I go to Atl once in a great while.. usually for other people. I loathe going there and will avoid it like the plague that it is.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
And once again I say you know nothing about me... I do not vendor anything at all... the 2 vendors I do own are on GLs and stand empty 24/7...

I go to Atl once in a great while.. usually for other people. I loathe going there and will avoid it like the plague that it is.
Excuse me did you not look at who I "QUOTED" or is your name now Martell

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Do you think UO might know more than you about the potential of subs not renewing accounts because they just wiped their shard and home. Have you not seen all the threads about shard wipes and you turn a blind eye to all the people that will quit if it were to happen. UO is on very shaky ground as is and now you propose to throw more fuel on the fire. You are more than welcome to play on any shard you want so stop trying to tell us low population shard players how you think we should play UO and just suck it up for you. How many other games have housing like UO, NONE.
You keep turning a blind eye to the disadvantages UO encounters from too many shards for too little players, so be it :rolleyes: I have no idea why you turn this into something about you or me or supposedly "dead" shards (something I never said here).

At the end of the day we know there is nothing going to happen, so what does it hurt to openly talk about pros and cons like civilized adults?? :eek:

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You keep turning a blind eye to the disadvantages UO encounters from too many shards for too little players, so be it :rolleyes: I have no idea why you turn this into something about you or me or supposedly "dead" shards (something I never said here).

At the end of the day we know there is nothing going to happen, so what does it hurt to openly talk about pros and cons like civilized adults?? :eek:
You do understand that for every house on those so called low populated shard that there is a paid account behind them so please show us a low populated (account wise) shard. Just because you don't see us doesn't mean we are not there. Go play UO the way you want and leave our supposed low populated shards alone.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'm not so sure there is an account behind each house. I regularly see houses sitting that have no one around them, have had no changes made to them in years, somwhere somehow I think a lot of houses fell thru the decay cracks.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'm not so sure there is an account behind each house. I regularly see houses sitting that have no one around them, have had no changes made to them in years, somwhere somehow I think a lot of houses fell thru the decay cracks.
Yes there are some house that still remain from the old welcome back but look at Luna and Umbra and close by houses and every Keep and Castle and tell me that those aren't being paid for. Alls people are trying to do is push every body to ALT because they think we are suppose to play UO how they think UO should be played. I would rather play with a small group of nice players than a bunch of rude people.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'm happy on Legends, personally...I make a few trips here and there to Atl, but wouldn't move

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
But with that said, I wouldnt have an issue with "clusters" of four small shards being linked with a gate. Like make journeys from legends, LA, Baja and Napa possible, and then so on and so on
Leaving Atl standing alone, since its full anyway

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
But with that said, I wouldnt have an issue with "clusters" of four small shards being linked with a gate. Like make journeys from legends, LA, Baja and Napa possible, and then so on and so on
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Exactly.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
Gates to different shards would be great..
But I cannot see that UO/BS/EA would approve it for purely economic reasons : It will cut down on buying xfer token no? So the idea is great, but the finance dept will not allow it in most probability, even if most if not ALL players would cast a "yes" vote for xshard gates..GL for this happening, and also GL for coming up with a system for "Universal vendor" accessibility, the code and implementation of which would also create massive lags, and probably make the game unplayable..
But we can keep on dreaming..

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You do understand that for every house on those so called low populated shard that there is a paid account behind them so please show us a low populated (account wise) shard. Just because you don't see us doesn't mean we are not there. Go play UO the way you want and leave our supposed low populated shards alone.
LOL, "leave our low populated shards alone" :lol:

First, it's not "your" shards. Everyone that pays his sub has the same say about any shard.

Second, NO! I will not stop speaking about a situation that is damaging UO. I get that there is no point talking to you about it, since you can clearly not keep your emotions out of an objective discussion. But scaling back to a set of servers with a lively situation is something an MMO should target IMO. I don't have a drawn out plan to do that, but with you it is even impossible talking about targets to set. You just get into your defensive corner, feeling attacked and crying out "leave my shard alone". Nobody was talking about your shard. I don't even know or care which shard you play... I care for UO as a whole.

I guess you would even let the shard run if there was only a single sub active. Of course there would be people pissed, some would quit! 100% sure. But at the same time you totally neglect how many players quit after coming back to a shard with no people in the town centers at all. Oh well, you might just get defensive here again and tell me "we are there even you can't see us". Sure :pie:

Or to put it the other way for you: There have more people quit "your" shard over "not having anyone to play with" than you will ever be able to make up with your 1 or 2 dozen of accounts. Let's keep sterring in that direction. Who knows, one day we all might have our personal shards.

But I give up on you Frodo :) Nice to see you back actually. Let's see how long it lasts. Have a great time.

Last edited:

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Actually you would add a system only available to like 10% of the players and leaving the majority out. I guess Mesanna would by sold without any second thought :D

Good pun on Atl, but barely in the interest of the game in general. But well, I guess it's just the usual Atl banter.. :rant2:

.. the shard that actually pays for the dead ones :devil:

Theo_GL

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Seems like it'[s hard as heck sometimes to get vendor search to work on Atlantic...imagine if it were searching all the shards!
Yeah, it sure doesn't seem like an indexed database. Queries are sloooow.

Finley Grant

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
The solution is sinple. Reduce to 3 shards.

One US
One EU
One APAC

Offer everyone on the Others a 18*18 with Castle storage and a free Transfer of characters and House Contest plus 1month free playing.

Wait 3 Months then shutdown the Others.

Some May leave and Quit. Some maybe Happy to get a free Delivery to actually Population .

Safe Money for the EM and Invest IT in more EM/GM on those 3 shards .

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The solution is sinple. Reduce to 3 shards.

One US
One EU
One APAC

Offer everyone on the Others a 18*18 with Castle storage and a free Transfer of characters and House Contest plus 1month free playing.

Wait 3 Months then shutdown the Others.

Some May leave and Quit. Some maybe Happy to get a free Delivery to actually Population .

Safe Money for the EM and Invest IT in more EM/GM on those 3 shards .
It's sad, but I feel at the same time it's too late for that. Servers should have been scaled back years ago. Taking off maybe one or two servers at a time. Re-evaluating what is healthy once a year.

Even I can see how going from 20+ to 3 will be too harsh. But on the other extreme keeping 20+ forever is silly as well.

Like you say: It would free up so many resources. Instead of kindergarding 20+ EMs Bonnie could rely on like 6 that are actually trusthworthy. GMs could maybe actually police those shards, instead of 20+ at the moment, etc. etc.

But than I also see how much effort they put into making FTP a success.. :(

Glad it's not me responsible to find solutions for that mess. Only wondering if anyone at BS feels like its his..

Last edited:

Finley Grant

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
It's sad, but I feel at the same time it's too late for that. Servers should have been scaled back years ago. Taking off maybe one or two servers at a time. Re-evaluating what is healthy once a year.

Even I can see how going from 20+ to 3 will be too harsh. But on the other extreme keeping 20+ forever is silly as well.

Glad it's not me responsible to find solutions for that mess :D Only wondering if anyone at BS feels lke its his..
I dont See any Problem with that. Yes IT IS harsh but thats the only way to actually get forward. ..

Another way would bei letting them Run with No more Support Events Transfers and new characters creation.

Give those "my lonly Shard with so much History" a spoon of their own Medicine.

Because 1 Thing is for Sure. Ui is an MMORPG . Not Single Player

And History. Well is completely useless AS everyone else is ****ing gone..

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
What happens if you don't get a house or if you're one of the loonies with 3+ accounts and many houses? What about the Luna spots and the Abyss spots, etc?

I agree in consolidation, but I think there should be incentive. Page a GM, move everything, bam, bob's your uncle, account is flagged as moved, player gets a certain incentive for moving (Free months perhaps?), and once shard is empty or filled with "Moved" flagged accounts shut it down.

There's flaws to everything though... like for mine... What if people simply don't want to?

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
What happens if you don't get a house or if you're one of the loonies with 3+ accounts and many houses? What about the Luna spots and the Abyss spots, etc?

I agree in consolidation, but I think there should be incentive. Page a GM, move everything, bam, bob's your uncle, account is flagged as moved, player gets a certain incentive for moving (Free months perhaps?), and once shard is empty or filled with "Moved" flagged accounts shut it down.

There's flaws to everything though... like for mine... What if people simply don't want to?
Yea, that's were some middle ground would have to be found. It's pointless to try to find it without any numbers (active players per shard, houses per shard, etc.)

But for sure you could not please all. Lot's of people would be pissed about not having their exact spot again. Experience from other games however shows: They not all quit. Some quit, some move on. Some even recall starting fresh the best thing that ever happened to them ;)

If people don't want, they can quit. If they don't get their favorite house, they can quit. There are people quitting all the time for various reasons. The second you let your overall game health held hostage by a small group of longtime players opposing any change at all, you paralyze yourself and any future for your game.

It's a tradeoff for those other group of people that quits over not seeing another player within their first 4 hours of gameplay. But those don't raise their voices here. They just move on..

You could ask the same questions as of now: What about current new players that will never have an Luna or Abyss house? Right, that's their problem.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The answer is simple, they don't care what you want as long as they get their way.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yea, that's were some middle ground would have to be found. It's pointless to try to find it without any numbers (active players per shard, houses per shard, etc.)

But for sure you could not please all. Lot's of people would be pissed about not having their exact spot again. Experience from other games however shows: They not all quit. Some quit, some move on. Some even recall starting fresh the best thing that ever happened to them ;)

If people don't want, they can quit. If they don't get their favorite house, they can quit.

It's a tradeoff for those other group of people that quits over not seeing another player within their first 4 hours of gameplay. But those don't raise their voices here. They just move on..

You could ask the same questions as of now: What about current new players that will never have an Luna or Abyss house? Right, that's their problem.
Quit using other games as an example because there is no other game out there like UO.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Quit using other games as an example because there is no other game out there like UO.
:lol: Sure...

I mean, I really like UO as well and would place it anytime in my "top 5 games of all time". that's why I argue for keeping it in a healthy state opposed to just letting it sail without any direction. But my glasses are not that rose-colored to say "no other game out there like UO". Sounds totally objective what you say...

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
:lol: Sure...

I mean, I really like UO as well and would place it anytime in my "top 5 games of all time". that's why I argue for keeping it in a healthy state opposed to just letting it sail without any direction. But my glasses are not that rose-colored to say "no other game out there like UO". Sounds totally objective what you say...
LMAO You pay once every 4 months to keep your house. I had to take a break from UO for real world issues and still paid my all my accounts with auto pay. Come back when you really support the game. :talktothehand:

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I feel they really need to put an end the housing pay game if you don’t pay for every month then you loose your house and everything in it. The housing loophole needs fixed.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
LMAO You pay once every 4 months to keep your house. I had to take a break from UO for real world issues and still paid my all my accounts with auto pay. Come back when you really support the game. :talktothehand:
It's just the rules.. ;) Hate the management, they make the rules.

But back to topic: What would your plans be if someone asked you about your opinion? Would you just move on for 5 more years with the current situation? Do you have any ideas how to improve the overall game's healthiness? I would be happy to once discuss it from your angle, instead of you telling us to better not discuss this topic at all.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I feel they really need to put an end the housing pay game if you don’t pay for every month then you loose your house and everything in it. The housing loophole needs fixed.
Real life issues may occur, but I think a rolling year limit would be great, like you get three months a rolling year (IE, March to March or April to April) and after those three months, your house falls when sub ends.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It's just the rules.. ;) Hate the management, they make the rules.

But back to topic: What would your plans be if someone asked you about your opinion? Would you just move on for 5 more years with the current situation? Do you have any ideas how to improve the overall game's healthiness? I would be happy to once discuss it from your angle, instead of you telling us to better not discuss this topic at all.
  1. Get rid of all the cheaters, this is buy far the main reason say when they leave. This could easily kill UO but I would rather die an honorable death than what we have now.
  2. Pay every month or leave.
  3. Something that can not be undone but should never have happen is when we moved to an item based system, AoS IMHO hurt UO and any new player is so far behind the curve they will never catch up.
  4. Make being a 7xgm mean something or give us 840 points. Skill gain is a pain in the butt and needs to have quests to take you all the way to 120 no matter the skill.
  5. No solo player should be able to kill any Boss or super high end MOB.
  6. Quit trying to entice people to go to Fel, they either want to go or they don't.
  7. Do away with non consensual PvP and make it where no matter where you are you can fight others with a like mind, do away with the PKers and bring back real PvP and yes REDS can go anywhere they want.
  8. Boost all Bosses to where it takes a group to kill and put them everywhere.
  9. ADVERTISE ADVERTISE and ADVERTISE
  10. Try to make an honest UI with all the bells and whistles and get back to UOs true graphics. CC+UOA+EC+KR and allow us to select our graphics.
  11. Fix the damn Account Management system.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Real life issues may occur, but I think a rolling year limit would be great, like you get three months a rolling year (IE, March to March or April to April) and after those three months, your house falls when sub ends.
Or just auto pay with a discount.

Lex Darion

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
You know how they could cater to people with old houses?
Make them worth a lot of points in some new reward system.

House age being the most important modifyer .
Add special areas or cordon off valuable real-estate areas and earmark for these players.

Condense shards into larger supershards.

Europa is down to less than 25 - 50 houses on W / NW above Britain.
Castles are quite common to see. Yet a keep cant be peddled off to someone even for free lol.
I let a keep fall cause nobody wanted it after 6 months. Now the next keep placed there has tried to be sold too for several months.
If something isnt done, the Europa shard will only see people there enmasse during events (mostly x-sharders).

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Just to toss out a few ideas:

-Identify the 4 most active US shards ( with at least 1 on each coast ) and expand the character slots to 21 (enough to hold characters from 2 other shards each).
- On the 4 active shards increase the storage of all houses to castle storage limit and allow 3 houses per account if all houses are 15x15 or smaller. Characters transferred from one of the restricted shards would not be subject to the house placement delay timer when a house IDOCS.
-Restrict the remaining shards from the following: new character creation, transfers to the shard, EM event drops, and new house placement.
-Offer each skillcapped character on the restricted shards a character transfer token.
-Announce in advance that when fewer than 50 paid master accounts access a shard per week the shard will be taken offline within 30 days.

Slow shards with enough active players would remain just as they are so long as the active players maintain their shard. Migration and attrition will take care of the rest and there won’t be any surprises.

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Just to toss out a few ideas:

-Identify the 4 most active US shards ( with at least 1 on each coast ) and expand the character slots to 21 (enough to hold characters from 2 other shards each).
- On the 4 active shards increase the storage of all houses to castle storage limit and allow 3 houses per account if all houses are 15x15 or smaller. Characters transferred from one of the restricted shards would not be subject to the house placement delay timer when a house IDOCS.
-Restrict the remaining shards from the following: new character creation, transfers to the shard, EM event drops, and new house placement.
-Offer each skillcapped character on the restricted shards a character transfer token.
-Announce in advance that when fewer than 50 paid master accounts access a shard per week the shard will be taken offline within 30 days.

Slow shards with enough active players would remain just as they are so long as the active players maintain their shard. Migration and attrition will take care of the rest and there won’t be any surprises.

Now don't be bringing common sense into our little discussion .....