• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Why cant we have universal shopping???

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I live on Origin we don't have really anything for sale(in fact we mainly just give stuff to each other ) why cant i browse vendors on every shard i would gladly pay an import fee and yes i understand i can transfer and its really about EA or broadsword or who ever really owns us losing money but it still would be nice...

Planters

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
I live on Origin we don't have really anything for sale(in fact we mainly just give stuff to each other ) why cant i browse vendors on every shard i would gladly pay an import fee and yes i understand i can transfer and its really about EA or broadsword or who ever really owns us losing money but it still would be nice...
Hello,
So me and my husband are on origin now. What items are you looking for? We are setting up shop for many items at the Brit moon gate in trammel. We have 3 vendors there now with items we didn’t see for sale when we did our last search. We will hopefully be able to keep them stocked but are building rooms here now. My toon is Sarah-Ann plus my house holder drunken midget and his toons right now are fisher and imbue. I know how original are his names... it’s what they do so he doesn’t have to remember lol. We will be transfer a toon in the next month from Atlantic if everything works out so we can possibly bring stuff with us if you need specific items.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Nothing specific right now was looking for recipes earlier but if you've shopped here you see the lack of much of anything for sale ...

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I would settle for them getting rid of shard transfers IF they could come up with a way for people to buy from vendors from all shards...how hard would that be to code?? Sounds darn near impossible.....but we can wish can't we?

I used to have vendors on Origin...I will be setting up some again as soon as I clean my luna house a bit :/ but it's the nature of the beast when people can just transfer :/

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
OK .... I transfer a lot from Atlantic to Origin... Next time you hear Bob o matic say anyone need something from Atl yip up kiddo..... If you look in my shop im at the SouthEast corner of the Luna Square of homes The sign says Sarah Lightforge owner... if any need something moved or picked up from any of the shards I have shields for just ask... Bobo handles the Asian and EU stops.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The other way around, it would also let people on smaller shards setup vendors at home and have Atlantic people buy it.

Vendor fees for items sitting weeks on vendors is a well discussed and known problem.

The notion that people without shard shields should depend on the mercy of shard shield owners doesn't really cut it for me. I like your idea :)

Ruby Knight

Sage
Stratics Veteran
I'd settle for a universal vendor search. Then I would know what shard to transfer to. It is kind of a pain to log into every shard to do vs. maybe it could just be something added to the website. Just my 2 cents worth.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I think the problem would be exactly like the one with a universal vendor search. This was brought up before, and that is it would be too much stress on the servers. When you are doing a search on one shard, you're querying the Database for every item on every vendor on the server that meets your conditions. Doing this universally, would require you do the same, but it's to every server. With a lone shard, it's not a huge impact, there will be a relatively small number of people doing it at once, make it universal and you'd have every individual who is doing a vendor search on all the shards and the impact become much greater risking server stability.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I think the problem would be exactly like the one with a universal vendor search. This was brought up before, and that is it would be too much stress on the servers. When you are doing a search on one shard, you're querying the Database for every item on every vendor on the server that meets your conditions. Doing this universally, would require you do the same, but it's to every server. With a lone shard, it's not a huge impact, there will be a relatively small number of people doing it at once, make it universal and you'd have every individual who is doing a vendor search on all the shards and the impact become much greater risking server stability.
But those reasoning stems from our experience with the current system, which unfortunately was not build on appropriate technology. I remember how I totally went down at their first try and they had to kind of redo it to handle Atlantic.

If they had chosen to build it on modern technology, let's say elasticsearch, we would rather get results within fractions of a second.

It's not that UO is something big the world has not seen before. It's just bad technology.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
But those reasoning stems from our experience with the current system, which unfortunately was not build on appropriate technology. I remember how I totally went down at their first try and they had to kind of redo it to handle Atlantic.

If they had chosen to build it on modern technology, let's say elasticsearch, we would rather get results within fractions of a second.

It's not that UO is something big the world has not seen before. It's just bad technology.
You're assuming the outdated tech that UO is built on and effectively make use of elasticsearch.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You're assuming the outdated tech that UO is built on and effectively make use of elasticsearch.
I didn't say it's just easy plug and play :p Of course there is a huge gap to bridge between the flat file formats UO seem still to employ and elasticsearch. But that's what engineers are usually good at.

To say on the other hand it's an lost cause and there is just no way is too simplistic for me. It's more of a choice you have to do when you lack resources, but technically there is little reasons why something as vendor search must be slow.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What gets me about vendor search is I can search using the exact same words on two different characters and get totally different results. Was looking for a 120 tame and lore the other day and typed in animal taming nothing showed up, did the search on another toon and 5 came up, went back and did it on the original toon and still none came up, went back to the second toon and 5 came up again and that was not even on atlantic LOL

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I didn't say it's just easy plug and play :p Of course there is a huge gap to bridge between the flat file formats UO seem still to employ and elasticsearch. But that's what engineers are usually good at.

To say on the other hand it's an lost cause and there is just no way is too simplistic for me. It's more of a choice you have to do when you lack resources, but technically there is little reasons why something as vendor search must be slow.
I'm not saying it's impossible either, but come on.. they can't figure out how to fix account management.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm not saying it's impossible either, but come on.. they can't figure out how to fix account management.
Can't or Won't? Account Management is going to be a major problem for EJ unless it is part of what they are working on for the EJ release.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Agreed. It is what it is and it was already big step forward to UO, regardless of some flaws we might come up with.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
At the 20th Anny party, it was said that the code is so spaghettified that the person working on it can't fix it.
That again is an excuse I don't buy. The whole truth sounds more like "It is so spaghetti that the person working on it can't fix it in the limited time scope I've set". Not denying it is 20 yo legacy code, but there are likely other factors than the developer just not being able to get it done.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
At the 20th Anny party, it was said that the code is so spaghettified that the person working on it can't fix it.
I am talking about the account management that is relatively new in comparision to the games code

Tabin

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
As someone who played in the pre-AOS days and then took a 10 year+ break, I'm starting to wonder if the reason why all of UO's economy is condensed into one shard is due to the creation of shard transfer shields. In theory, it essentially allowed many players to farm items and sell them in the shard with the most demand. Slowly but surely, more and more players migrate to the one server with actual items for sale and new/returning players end up there as well.

If everyone was forced to sell big ticket items in their local shard (i.e. by making power scrolls shard bound similar to masteries), people might actually be more spread out across different shards.

Having universal shopping would probably fix this issue as well...although that is no small task.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
As someone who played in the pre-AOS days and then took a 10 year+ break, I'm starting to wonder if the reason why all of UO's economy is condensed into one shard is due to the creation of shard transfer shields. In theory, it essentially allowed many players to farm items and sell them in the shard with the most demand. Slowly but surely, more and more players migrate to the one server with actual items for sale and new/returning players end up there as well.

If everyone was forced to sell big ticket items in their local shard (i.e. by making power scrolls shard bound similar to masteries), people might actually be more spread out across different shards.

Having universal shopping would probably fix this issue as well...although that is no small task.
Shard shields did greatly speed up the process, but Atlantic was already the center of the economy for years before that. It wouldn't have been as bad without shard shields, but it was happening either way with regular transfer tokens.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
EA/Broadsword could easily drive more traffic to its website by loading the VS data into a universal dataset and putting a search on the web. UO vendors don't have so much stuff that this couldn't be easily searchable across all shards, its only down side would be a slight delay between when items sell and when they disappear from the search.

While those not to be named sites have to get their data set by other means, they managed to let you search across all shards, there shouldn't be any reason the "professionals" (yes I use that word loosely) can't do it.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Perhaps the problem would be best solved just by allowing the "Export" of items and to make gold universal per account. With an export fee attached to purchases on other shards. Exporting could have it go to some universal bank box which might work so that you can put stuff in only with a fee and you can then take it out on any other shard. You would then just have to make a character on a shard search their vendors and then buy what you want export it to your home shard. No need to "transfer" characters.

Tabin

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Shard shields did greatly speed up the process, but Atlantic was already the center of the economy for years before that. It wouldn't have been as bad without shard shields, but it was happening either way with regular transfer tokens.
Interesting! Thanks for the history lesson. Curious though, how does Atlantic end up being the center of the economy when players couldn't transfer items to it without the existence of shard shields? Were people paying cash to buy xfer tokens just to get items to Atlantic? Or did the majority just leave behind their belongings on their slowly dying shards to start a new journey on Atlantic?

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Xfer tokens, unlike shard shield tokens, let you take all you can hold, all your bank can hold, and 125 items on 5 pack mules (that's 125 items per mule). Thats a lot of crap. Shield only let you take your bank and backpack, no loaded followers.

Yes, we used to pay people (in gold) to transfer for us. and most of them did it gladly, because that helped offset the cost of the token (unless they were 'moving' to another shard) in which case they needed all the space for their stuffs

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Interesting! Thanks for the history lesson. Curious though, how does Atlantic end up being the center of the economy when players couldn't transfer items to it without the existence of shard shields? Were people paying cash to buy xfer tokens just to get items to Atlantic? Or did the majority just leave behind their belongings on their slowly dying shards to start a new journey on Atlantic?
Atlantic was always the biggest shard, even back in 1998, so when other shards started dying off due to a lack of players people would very often buy a few transfer tokens with cash and come to Atlantic to find people to play with, and each time they would take almost everything of value they owned with them. Eventually once the prices on Atlantic were higher than everywhere else, players on other shards would use a store-bought transfer token to bring their valuable items to Atlantic to sell for more profit too. Often it would be a group doing it together, so the cost was very small to each person and allowed them to double or triple the amount of gold they got in return for it.

Ironically, one of the main reasons shard shields were created was to allow veteran players on smaller shards to move around more and pick up items that were not available on their home shards due to all the merchants taking them to Atlantic.

The thing that caused shard shields to destroy smaller shards was the ability to move literally all of the items to Atlantic instead of just the most valuable ones. When people could easily go back and forth every month, even items only worth one million were being taken off the shards to sell on Atlantic, leaving smaller shards with nothing left.

One of my old guild members, by himself, is probably responsible for the death of Balhae as a shard. He took absolutely everything that shard had over the course of about a year to resell it on Atlantic. Towards the end he was even taking things only worth like 50k because he could sell it for 100k on Atlantic. Now it's hard to even find a spellbook for sale on Balhae. That was the fatal flaw with shard shields... there was no way to stop the complete draining of shards.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
One of my old guild members, by himself, is probably responsible for the death of Balhae as a shard. He took absolutely everything that shard had over the course of about a year to resell it on Atlantic. Towards the end he was even taking things only worth like 50k because he could sell it for 100k on Atlantic. Now it's hard to even find a spellbook for sale on Balhae. That was the fatal flaw with shard shields... there was no way to stop the complete draining of shards.
On the other hand I'm aksing myself: Is it really him to blame or is it rather a structural deficit that there is no exit-condition for taking shards offline that are no longer viable.

He could not do this if we only had like 5 shards with decent populations each. But since UO never scales back, we end up with shards that can be controlled by a single player flat out for over a year.

Other games I know scale back rather aggressively and still are popular. Life goes on..

Restless

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
the concept of merging and reducing shards has always been a tough convo with this game because of the housing situation. I would recommend connecting some shards together via a transfer moongate. like take 4 really low population shards and a decent population shard like great lakes and set a moongate that allows transferring amongst those shards for free. there may be the standard transfer wait time (i don't know the logistics of what is capable with the game and different shards), but then people could expand their vendor options, and potential player base. some peeps with transfer shields may be bummed about this happening feeling like they wasted a pick, but i would suggest that an option to trade-in transfer shields for another vet pick be added.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
the concept of merging and reducing shards has always been a tough convo with this game because of the housing situation. I would recommend connecting some shards together via a transfer moongate. like take 4 really low population shards and a decent population shard like great lakes and set a moongate that allows transferring amongst those shards for free. there may be the standard transfer wait time (i don't know the logistics of what is capable with the game and different shards), but then people could expand their vendor options, and potential player base. some peeps with transfer shields may be bummed about this happening feeling like they wasted a pick, but i would suggest that an option to trade-in transfer shields for another vet pick be added.
But other games close servers too. No merging. All the houses just get deleted too. And they still thrive.

I personally think there is a lot of scaremongering with the "I quit UO and it will be the end for the game" when closing or merging shards is discussed. Live would go on, and so would UO. But that's not the topic of this thread..

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Many years ago Runescape made a all servers thing that let you put something in that was searchable and buyable from any server you were on. While there are great differences between UO and RS I could see something like this being functional in UO. The RS bazzar had come problems that I assume got worked out over the years, like 1-2 people could manipulate the economy a bit by buying up all of one thing, thus controlling the entire supply and driving the price to extreme highs as a exploit of how the system worked. But a similar system that would be very much like vendor search except you just buy the item through the clearing house, no matter what shard you are on.

HoneythornGump

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran

Winner!:ten:

Except with a :thumbdown: to the Devs. Shard Shields were devastating to the game, and hands down the most unbalancing item ever introduced to Ultima Online.

Nice going Devs...thanks Mesanna!:thumbdown:

Yes to Universal Shopping...100x yes.

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
this is not a bad idea but not sure it can/will happen. I keep bringing up that on some shards there is nothing to buy and cant even get repair deeds. when/if, new/returning players come back, they probably wont stay. there are things that devs can do to improve things but it seems they are listening to the wrong people. working on EJ is fine but there are many things that need to be worked on to make EJ successful. I only see EJ being used by existing players and some returning players. some accounts maybe closed/switched to EJ. I wonder how people will know about EJ without proper advertising. I guess its not going to be on steam too. no to shard merging. will lose a lot of players.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
While buying directly from VS would be convenient, I've found that the current system works better - because often I'll find good deals I wouldn't have known to search for, once at the location. I spend more on impulse buys from the shop I get teleported to than I do on the items searched for, typically.

As for shard merger, I could see a way of doing it rather cleanly, though it could cause some player towns to get scrambled together.
First (and the largest cost), would be to redraw and reprogram the maps to be 1" (1 minute of a degree) per step instead of the current minutes 4-5 per step. This would increase land area by 16x. Some new roads might need to be added in some cities (imagine Luna and Zento with two ring roads instead of one - with all the lots now capable of handling 18x18s), while additional space would be added as many of the cities with walls would not actually increase the thickness of the walls by 4x in the redrawing, and the NPC shops themselves would not need enlarging.
Then, take the 4 being merged, and catalog all their unique spots and statics - copy them over (in some cases, to be side by side with stuff from other shards). Now, the world is ready to be populated. Some stuff that is tied to old EM accounts, or was a blessed location once belonging to a deceased player but is considered special to the shard population, might have to be moved over manually or recreated.
Third step, have the housing server "pack up" every house on the servers. When the account logs in, the player has the option of placing the house and its contents within a degree or so radius of its original location on the new map, possibly in a reserved 1/4 of the equivalent area for a specific set of immigrants from the same shard (a clearing that was 20x20 (400 squares) on each old shard, would now be 80x80 (6400 squares), and could be divided up into 4 40x40 (1600 square) regions designated for each shard). This would not only reduce the chance of griefing through house placement, but give the homeowners room to resize their houses later.
For the first 90 days, no new houses can be built, and (as a safety precaution) no houses could be demolished (though they might be movable via repacking - the packing up system might actually allow house relocation after the fact - especially if a GM has to come in to fix a housing dispute).
After everyone is given 3 months to settle in, then the remaining new open space would be opened up for house expansion and new placements. Any houses that hadn't been placed would be left in storage until such time (if ever) the player returns to re-place, and can be put any place it can legally fit.
If a house not replaced (still stored) has its account go to the point where the house would have gone IDOC, 6 months after the merger, its contents go into a raffle (a few houses added each day), each ticket capable of winning a container from the house (with all non-containers from the house being put into the moving crate, which would then count as 1 container for every 100 items). Raffles will be totally blind (other than the number of containers/tickets being listed), limited to 10 tickets per account per drawing (with each ticket after the first doubling in cost when bought by one account - say, 100k for ticket 1, 200k for ticket 2, 400k for ticket 3, up to 51.2 million for the 10th ticket) and the drawings occur an hour after the number of tickets sold for the house match the number of containers (though sales could continue up to 5 minutes of the drawing, so that some ticket holders get nothing for their ticket). You could end up with a bunch of rares or resources - or you could end up with a moving crate full of gozas. The doubling prices means that persons trying to speculate would be acting as a gold sink, as 10 tickets for one drawing would end up costing over 90 million, with no guarantee of a payoff worth that much.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
On the other hand I'm aksing myself: Is it really him to blame or is it rather a structural deficit that there is no exit-condition for taking shards offline that are no longer viable.

He could not do this if we only had like 5 shards with decent populations each. But since UO never scales back, we end up with shards that can be controlled by a single player flat out for over a year.

Other games I know scale back rather aggressively and still are popular. Life goes on..
The major problem is what do you do with the remaining people on the "DEAD SHARD", no shard is totally vacant. Shard mergers have been discussed to no end on the forums and UO has stated flat out no shard will be taken down. Alt is even dying compared to what it was even a year ago. If there is a house on a shard that means an account is being paid to maintain that house so that shard is not dead.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
While buying directly from VS would be convenient, I've found that the current system works better - because often I'll find good deals I wouldn't have known to search for, once at the location. I spend more on impulse buys from the shop I get teleported to than I do on the items searched for, typically.

As for shard merger, I could see a way of doing it rather cleanly, though it could cause some player towns to get scrambled together.
First (and the largest cost), would be to redraw and reprogram the maps to be 1" (1 minute of a degree) per step instead of the current minutes 4-5 per step. This would increase land area by 16x. Some new roads might need to be added in some cities (imagine Luna and Zento with two ring roads instead of one - with all the lots now capable of handling 18x18s), while additional space would be added as many of the cities with walls would not actually increase the thickness of the walls by 4x in the redrawing, and the NPC shops themselves would not need enlarging.
Then, take the 4 being merged, and catalog all their unique spots and statics - copy them over (in some cases, to be side by side with stuff from other shards). Now, the world is ready to be populated. Some stuff that is tied to old EM accounts, or was a blessed location once belonging to a deceased player but is considered special to the shard population, might have to be moved over manually or recreated.
Third step, have the housing server "pack up" every house on the servers. When the account logs in, the player has the option of placing the house and its contents within a degree or so radius of its original location on the new map, possibly in a reserved 1/4 of the equivalent area for a specific set of immigrants from the same shard (a clearing that was 20x20 (400 squares) on each old shard, would now be 80x80 (6400 squares), and could be divided up into 4 40x40 (1600 square) regions designated for each shard). This would not only reduce the chance of griefing through house placement, but give the homeowners room to resize their houses later.
For the first 90 days, no new houses can be built, and (as a safety precaution) no houses could be demolished (though they might be movable via repacking - the packing up system might actually allow house relocation after the fact - especially if a GM has to come in to fix a housing dispute).
After everyone is given 3 months to settle in, then the remaining new open space would be opened up for house expansion and new placements. Any houses that hadn't been placed would be left in storage until such time (if ever) the player returns to re-place, and can be put any place it can legally fit.
If a house not replaced (still stored) has its account go to the point where the house would have gone IDOC, 6 months after the merger, its contents go into a raffle (a few houses added each day), each ticket capable of winning a container from the house (with all non-containers from the house being put into the moving crate, which would then count as 1 container for every 100 items). Raffles will be totally blind (other than the number of containers/tickets being listed), limited to 10 tickets per account per drawing (with each ticket after the first doubling in cost when bought by one account - say, 100k for ticket 1, 200k for ticket 2, 400k for ticket 3, up to 51.2 million for the 10th ticket) and the drawings occur an hour after the number of tickets sold for the house match the number of containers (though sales could continue up to 5 minutes of the drawing, so that some ticket holders get nothing for their ticket). You could end up with a bunch of rares or resources - or you could end up with a moving crate full of gozas. The doubling prices means that persons trying to speculate would be acting as a gold sink, as 10 tickets for one drawing would end up costing over 90 million, with no guarantee of a payoff worth that much.
Rather complicated but somewhat Okish... though being someone who lives in a player town distressing... Would the new people want to live in the town? Would they care? Would make the town far larger... without making it more populated probably... far more spaced out... which it's fairly that way now. Plus I have 2 beach front properties... or whatever you'd want to call that... I don't want to move inland... I like being on the shoreline. That might change as well with your proposal... and my port just wouldn't be the same if it weren't where it is.

My thought was the special moongate idea to "link" a populated shard with 2 or 3 less populated shards... say GL's linked with LA, Legends and Napa... or something... Where all the "dungeon" maps are shared (save the Abyss as there is housing there, or find a way to put 8 houses in the Abyss)... but Ilshenar and t2a would be shared as well... this would also mean you'd have 21 or 28 character slots per "link" depending on if they linked 3 or 4... I think it would be the least "programmer" heavy solution.

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
We don't need to merge Shards we simply need Erosion if area XXX is not visited/used in XXX number of days it starts to decay this would leave very little landmass on say Origin very quickly maybe to help populated shards could gain area as the less populated ones eroded...also just open every area to Castles already so much wasted room in Malas etc...

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Because it would require a large new system to be developed, if no other reason.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The major problem is what do you do with the remaining people on the "DEAD SHARD", no shard is totally vacant. Shard mergers have been discussed to no end on the forums and UO has stated flat out no shard will be taken down. Alt is even dying compared to what it was even a year ago. If there is a house on a shard that means an account is being paid to maintain that house so that shard is not dead.
That is all true, never said it is any different.

But like I mentioned: Other games just close servers. Of course there are still some people on them, but at some point it's better to stop and scale back than running servers for a low number of people. With Ark they just closed a ton of them lately. Here is how it goes from an older shut down last year:

"On August 29th, these servers will be wiped and shut down. So if you have stuff you don’t want to lose, you will need to pack everything up and head to an Obelisk or Tek Transmitter in game. You will then be able to retrieve items in another server. Alternatively, you will get the chance to download save files from these servers before they are closed down."

It can't be in the interest of any game to spread the population as thin as possible, neither community- nor resource-wise. That's why they do it and it doesn't hurt a bit. The diehards barely quit but move one. And those some quitting are likely made up by having more attractive servers over all for new players. Just think of UO magically only having 5 shards. It would actually be a true MMO again..

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I agree I feel they need to close a few shards down

I’m on pac if they combined pac Napa Baja and origin it would be much better

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
That is all true, never said it is any different.

But like I mentioned: Other games just close servers. Of course there are still some people on them, but at some point it's better to stop and scale back than running servers for a low number of people. With Ark they just closed a ton of them lately. Here is how it goes from an older shut down last year:

"On August 29th, these servers will be wiped and shut down. So if you have stuff you don’t want to lose, you will need to pack everything up and head to an Obelisk or Tek Transmitter in game. You will then be able to retrieve items in another server. Alternatively, you will get the chance to download save files from these servers before they are closed down."

It can't be in the interest of any game to spread the population as thin as possible, neither community- nor resource-wise. That's why they do it and it doesn't hurt a bit. The diehards barely quit but move one. And those some quitting are likely made up by having more attractive servers over all for new players. Just think of UO magically only having 5 shards. It would actually be a true MMO again..
Do you think UO might know more than you about the potential of subs not renewing accounts because they just wiped their shard and home. Have you not seen all the threads about shard wipes and you turn a blind eye to all the people that will quit if it were to happen. UO is on very shaky ground as is and now you propose to throw more fuel on the fire. You are more than welcome to play on any shard you want so stop trying to tell us low population shard players how you think we should play UO and just suck it up for you. How many other games have housing like UO, NONE.

Martell

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Instead of universal shopping, why don't they just....merge shards!!!!

I find it laughable that the stratics regulars who scream bloody murder and claim that they love their insular, single player gaming on their small, home shards but also want all the benefits of being connected to the one popular shard...

If you want the benefits of an MMORPG, play the game like it's an MMORPG (ie. play on populated shards).

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I largely agree except in the case of Origin it really should be one of the most used shards and new content should spend a lot more time on Orgigin being played and tested in real shard conditions outside of lollipop land TC1. Origin is where I find most of the bugs and exploits in new content that is missed on TC1 where everything is a easy button to max. Origin is where you find all of the old exploits and bugs that were fixed that got broken again in a new pub. TC1 is great for seeing how the end result works, Origin is great for learning how it works through the steps and in normal game play.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

And how many people will loose their homes/shard uniqueness and still keep their accounts open. I assume that you want to keep Pac and kill all the other shards, sounds a little selfish to me, destroy every bodies game just so you can have a few more people.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Instead of universal shopping, why don't they just....merge shards!!!!

I find it laughable that the stratics regulars who scream bloody murder and claim that they love their insular, single player gaming on their small, home shards but also want all the benefits of being connected to the one popular shard...

If you want the benefits of an MMORPG, play the game like it's an MMORPG (ie. play on populated shards).
I would quit before I left my shard. Honestly I give a rats about other shards... I don't care about them don't know their history don't want to live on any other shard. My home is on GLs... it's where my town is that I live in.... I know most all the unique places there... and I know all the "secrets" there... I wouldn't move to any other shard.... and many other people feel the same way... ask the people who live in Pax if they would move. I'm betting that answer would be NO.

While most of you just go about your way buying and selling and think that making gold or RMT is "the game"... and getting things or killing other players is "the game"... for many of you that think that way you have NO IDEA what "the game" really is.

IMO "the game" is my Cheers... the place you go where everyone knows your name... the place you "hang out" at and forget your RL world... forget that you are who you are... where you can be something more... the Governor of a town... the Evil devil.. Mute Orc... Ice Cream loving Goblin... whatever... anything but the person sitting at the computer. It's a place to meet with friends talk with them... go on an adventure... UO is and always was an MMORPG and while many of you don't role-play... it is still an RPG...

Merging shards is a HORRIBLE idea... you think the DEVs have any clue what unique stuff is on any given shard? I highly doubt it. And for some merging would change the face of their area and may even have conflicts. Like I said in another post you think if I had to merge to some other shard I'd be able to replace the RP town I live in? Each building where it is? I highly doubt it... and I for one am not willing to lose that. And if they give priority to that sort of thing what happens when there is a conflict? Who loses? What happens to others that lose their home and have to live elsewhere... maybe have to downsize??? What are they supposed to do?

Honestly if the people living on those shards wanted to be on a more populated shard.... they would have bought a "real" transfer token ages ago and moved to that slime hole Atl...

Nothing stops anyone from leaving a shard if they wanted to play where more people are. That is what the DEVs have maintained and continue to maintain.... if they wanted they are free to move. It just costs money.

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
And how many people will loose their homes/shard uniqueness and still keep their accounts open. I assume that you want to keep Pac and kill all the other shards, sounds a little selfish to me, destroy every bodies game just so you can have a few more people.
Actually I was thinking of them creating a new West coast shard

So no I wasn’t wanting my shard Pac to stay

Martell

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would quit before I left my shard. Honestly I give a rats about other shards... I don't care about them don't know their history don't want to live on any other shard. My home is on GLs... it's where my town is that I live in.... I know most all the unique places there... and I know all the "secrets" there... I wouldn't move to any other shard.... and many other people feel the same way... ask the people who live in Pax if they would move. I'm betting that answer would be NO.

While most of you just go about your way buying and selling and think that making gold or RMT is "the game"... and getting things or killing other players is "the game"... for many of you that think that way you have NO IDEA what "the game" really is.

IMO "the game" is my Cheers... the place you go where everyone knows your name... the place you "hang out" at and forget your RL world... forget that you are who you are... where you can be something more... the Governor of a town... the Evil devil.. Mute Orc... Ice Cream loving Goblin... whatever... anything but the person sitting at the computer. It's a place to meet with friends talk with them... go on an adventure... UO is and always was an MMORPG and while many of you don't role-play... it is still an RPG...

Merging shards is a HORRIBLE idea... you think the DEVs have any clue what unique stuff is on any given shard? I highly doubt it. And for some merging would change the face of their area and may even have conflicts. Like I said in another post you think if I had to merge to some other shard I'd be able to replace the RP town I live in? Each building where it is? I highly doubt it... and I for one am not willing to lose that. And if they give priority to that sort of thing what happens when there is a conflict? Who loses? What happens to others that lose their home and have to live elsewhere... maybe have to downsize??? What are they supposed to do?

Honestly if the people living on those shards wanted to be on a more populated shard.... they would have bought a "real" transfer token ages ago and moved to that slime hole Atl...

Nothing stops anyone from leaving a shard if they wanted to play where more people are. That is what the DEVs have maintained and continue to maintain.... if they wanted they are free to move. It just costs money.
If you feel that strongly about your shard, fine.

However, I find it laughable that you and others feel so strongly about your own shard...but you want all the benefits of accessing Atl only when it suits you. Universal shopping therefore is a dumb idea. If you want to shop on Atlantic...play Atlantic, if you're determined to play on an unpopulated shard...shop on that unpopulated shard.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
If you feel that strongly about your shard, fine.

However, I find it laughable that you and others feel so strongly about your own shard...but you want all the benefits of accessing Atl only when it suits you. Universal shopping therefore is a dumb idea. If you want to shop on Atlantic...play Atlantic, if you're determined to play on an unpopulated shard...shop on that unpopulated shard.
I'd be happy as a clam if Alt was closed to transfers. I do not regularly go there... I hate the shard and avoid it if at all possible... I resent having to be forced to go there to get the things I need and I'd much prefer to either get them on my own or do without.

You know NOTHING about how I play.