• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Who is really running the UO swag store?

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
A proxy does not necessarily indicate nefarious intent. Proxies serve to keep spammers from scraping your personal information as well, and that's no small thing.

That said, I am curious why they didn't just make a Zazzle store like DAoC did. They are pretty easy to set up.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It's someone, or a company, who has entered into an agreement with Broadsword or EA to have the rights to market and sell UO logo'd items. Who it is? It's not really important. I'm buying the product, not going on a date with them.
Please note: The items are being sold outside the game.

I hope who ever has taken the initiative to do this makes enough money to cover their expenses and it provides some kind of income. I applaud you.
If they had an agreement with EA then you would see the "TM", there are none. There were questions on that locked thread that were removed that asked about the legality of the site and if they had permission from EA to do this. Those posts were deleted and the poster was warned not to do it again so what does that tell you.

Khyro

Sage
Stratics Veteran
When I read abt the store on forums my 1st thought was - Who would name a store "Swag" ?
It seemed juvenile as the only reference for that word I've heard is from drug related movies, tv, or print.
Feeling old, I decided I must be out of the loop & wanted to catch up on current lingo.
I did a Google search with the words "Swag definition" and this came up :

Just thought it was funny/ironic & had to share. :)
Never heard that definition before. Swag to most people has always been "Stuff We All Get" and is heavily ingrained in the gaming/convention scene. PAX, Blizzcon, E3, etc. all give out "Swag Bags", which are full of themed goodies and merchandise. While I do find the name "UO Swag" a bit silly for their "official" store, I do not find the term swag to be nefarious.

Odin of Europa

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Never heard that definition before. Swag to most people has always been "Stuff We All Get" and is heavily ingrained in the gaming/convention scene. PAX, Blizzcon, E3, etc. all give out "Swag Bags", which are full of themed goodies and merchandise. While I do find the name "UO Swag" a bit silly for their "official" store, I do not find the term swag to be nefarious.
Common definition, it's what I immediately thought of when I first heard of the UO Swag site. When I was a kid if I ever watched a cartoon with a thief, he was always holding a SWAG bag.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Where do you get that this is their official store.

Angleswings

Adventurer
It's being promoted on official correspondence. The fact that it was a "third party seller" wasn't mentioned until yesterday. After people started questioning it. Also, I am still curious as to where the 20th Anniversary T-Shirts they are selling came from.
You really dont need to think, if BS provided all the art to them, ofc they will have all the 20th anniversary art as well and they can print shirts, towels , whatever they want tbh.
just like someone said b4, would be the same thing as Vistaprint, they have the all the art (provided by BS) so they can print whatever they want, is that hard to understand? I dont understand why all the trouble, you pretty much have 2 choices, buy the item you want or not!

Acid Rain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Never heard that definition before. Swag to most people has always been "Stuff We All Get" and is heavily ingrained in the gaming/convention scene. PAX, Blizzcon, E3, etc. all give out "Swag Bags", which are full of themed goodies and merchandise.
Yea, I’ve never gone to a gaming convention so outta the loop on that. Acronym makes sense tho.

[QUOTE="Odin of Europa, post: 2971596, member: 3778”]When I was a kid if I ever watched a cartoon with a thief, he was always holding a SWAG bag.[/QUOTE]

Haven’t watched a cartoon in +30 yrs so again outta the loop. Wasn’t trying to stir the pot, I honestly had to Google it looking for a definition lol. I’m old :) .

Last edited:

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
SWAG.jpg

The MODERN...note the word MODERN...connotation is much more appealing...

Seriously people, it's almost 2019, get with the times! We all love swag! Of course we would love the FREE swag even better....like they got at the 20th party...now THAT was swag! Now I can't stop saying it...swag...swag...swag....sounds funnier and funnier every time I say it!!!!

UO SWAG!!!!!

A bit pricey but to be expected for a name brand, just wish they'd put some hobo swag in there for those of us who can't afford high-priced swag...like keychains!! I would rock a UO Swag Keychain!

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
View attachment 90441

The MODERN...note the word MODERN...connotation is much more appealing...

Seriously people, it's almost 2019, get with the times! We all love swag! Of course we would love the FREE swag even better....like they got at the 20th party...now THAT was swag! Now I can't stop saying it...swag...swag...swag....sounds funnier and funnier every time I say it!!!!

UO SWAG!!!!!

A bit pricey but to be expected for a name brand, just wish they'd put some hobo swag in there for those of us who can't afford high-priced swag...like keychains!! I would rock a UO Swag Keychain!
Yep..I think its good that people are checking on the ethics of the store, but we need to come off the paranoia that somehow the Devs are in bed with the RMT's and have spawned the SWAG store. According to what we hear from the administration, it is a legit store and there is likely no malicious or nefarious profit-making for RMT-related dealers. Its good that the concern was raised, but enough of that, the ghost has been dispelled. Sherlock Holmes needs to get a little rest.
Please enjoy the Christmass spirit, the SWAG store if you like also..If it will make a few extra dollars to keep our game going, cannot be too bad. :dunce:

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I am fairly certain that the swag store is being run by Broadsword without the permission of EA. That's why they are so hush hush about the whole thing. The fact that the swag store can just get an account on the official forum is quite suspicious. Along with their poor customer service, it just reeks of Broadsword.

I am curious why they didn't just make a Zazzle store like DAoC did.
Because that is exactly what EA would expect them to do.

The RMT sites may be sanctioned by BS but from what I've heard their customer service is quite remarkable, so I imagine that they only get the items and gold from the devs and sell them at a markup.

I can't really blame BS for trying to milk this game for all they can. I also can't blame them for not wanting to share the money with EA. I mean, if I was BS this is exactly what I would do. Again, I am evil.

Keith of Sonoma

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
OK, I have contacted both UO Swag and @Mesanna, asking a couple of "pointed" questions. I am not holding my breath for a response from EITHER. But then again, if everything IS "above board" there should be ZERO problem responding to me :).

Keith of Sonoma

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
OK, I have contacted both UO Swag and @Mesanna, asking a couple of "pointed" questions. I am not holding my breath for a response from EITHER. But then again, if everything IS "above board" there should be ZERO problem responding to me :).
So it is now Monday, with ZERO response from either. At this point I am fairly certain I know the name of the owner of UO Swag. @Mesanna @Kyronix @Bleak VERY, VERY sad.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
How sad is it?

Finley Grant

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I wanted to stay out here but...

Iam not sure why everyone is getting so heated?!

Its listed on official uo website and was announced in newsletter.

As they use official uo graphics and stuff I assume they have the needed approvals.

So what exactly are you guys bragging about?
If you are not happy with the store then don't buy!? No one is forced to buy.

Finley Grant

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Are there any legal reason that they must answer you? Maybe they just don't want to!?

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Is it @Larisa ? I heard she is using child labor on her farm to make t shirts with her loom. That's what Dot told me.
SHHHHHHHHHHHHHH you keep telling all of my secrets!!!

I gotta make my kids do SOMETHING....the eggs and goats milk just don't bring in enough *sighs*

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Don't expect a response from Broadsword until after New Year's, they're in vacation mode already.

But then I don't really think Mesanna will deign to give this conspiracy further grist.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
But then I don't really think Mesanna will deign to give this conspiracy further grist.
Exactly. I really do not care if the store is run by UO players or the Devs. I buy a lot of stuff online and know no names or anything about the owners of the companies that sell the items.

owner of UO Swag.
Maybe next time, YOU think about getting approval to make an online store that sells things you like! Or just complain because somebody else did it. We live in a capitalist country.

Angleswings

Adventurer
Exactly. I really do not care if the store is run by UO players or the Devs. I buy a lot of stuff online and know no names or anything about the owners of the companies that sell the items.

Maybe next time, YOU think about getting approval to make an online store that sells things you like! Or just complain because somebody else did it. We live in a capitalist country.

YOU NAILED! :postcount:

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I wanted to stay out here but...

Iam not sure why everyone is getting so heated?!

Its listed on official uo website and was announced in newsletter.

As they use official uo graphics and stuff I assume they have the needed approvals.

So what exactly are you guys bragging about?
If you are not happy with the store then don't buy!? No one is forced to buy.
Where are the trade marks? If they had EA's permission then there would be something there saying so.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I was going to do the same as Finlay... however, this all kinda seems silly. Obviously they're not cheating or hiding anything from EA. If they are posting information on their forums and newsletters that would be sort of dumb. As far as demanding answers.... well expecting a response to what I'm guessing was a rather accusational request for answers is likely to fall on deaf ears, and rightfully so. This all seems much ado about nothing.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Where are the trade marks? If they had EA's permission then there would be something there saying so.
They mention copyright in the terms and conditions.

Do a search for UO symbol. None of them have a copyright on them but they say images may be subject to copyright. My UO guide book from years ago has symbols and none have a notation attached to the symbol.

The name Ultima Online has a TM. i don't have any swag to look at to see if they included the TM.

Xris

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I was going to do the same as Finlay... however, this all kinda seems silly. Obviously they're not cheating or hiding anything from EA. If they are posting information on their forums and newsletters that would be sort of dumb. As far as demanding answers.... well expecting a response to what I'm guessing was a rather accusational request for answers is likely to fall on deaf ears, and rightfully so. This all seems much ado about nothing.
Yup...... I can't believe people are so upset about a 20 year old mmo's gift shop. Like I said before, the shards are still online, who cares about their licensing agreement with a vendor. Just take the win!

Finley Grant

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
mate, this whole thing is taking place in fantasy land... (no offense to US guys)
people sueing the poop out of everything for millions even then when they themself are complete morons without any common sense...

DO YOU REALLY think that shop would be only more than a day if there would be the slightest point which is attackable via law?

@Keith of Sonoma ah btw. iam pretty sure its not the guy you think it is.

its easy guys, if you dont like it. dont buy anything.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
its easy guys, if you dont like it. dont buy anything.
Indeed.

Further the thread is also meant to raise awareness. We can see from the OP that players might get the impression they are dealing with EA or Broadsword and are completely helpless when contacting the customer service (which only worked after a public posting on the official forums).

I myself was also thinking it's run by an trustworthy entity only to find out it's a shop that does not provide any information of his origin whatsoever.

Nero

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
There have been hundreds of "free" shard simulators since the beginning of UO, several of which made ten thousands to hundred thousands of dollars by selling "donation" items to pixel-addicted players. Some are 1:1 clones of the original UO, all are using "ultima online" in their name, and a few even the UO (Hildebrandt) painting as wallpapers on their website.

Has Origin/EA/Broadsword/etc. ever done anything against these blatant cases of copyright violations? Even if the code was reverse engineered, the graphics and logos and names ("ultima online") used must be copyrighted. None of these private shard providers has anything ever paid back to the official developers of UO, after selling e.g. private islands on the shard for thousands of dollars. So in 20+ years of UO history, the developers behind UO have never done anything against copyright violations.

So whoever is cashing in the money from the SWAG store, and whether or not they have official endorsement, doesn't really matter. As long as you do not buy UO merchandise ware worth thousands of dollars every year, there is much, much more financial damage done by "free" shards.

TLDR: A drop in the bucket of what is transacted in the SWAG store compared to sales of virtual items on private shards.

Last edited:

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You have to love UO, 20 years of 'turning a blind eye' and 'burying our heads in the sand' people don't care about the legalities it seems as long as they can get a UO mug...classic!
Just curious.... what legalities do you feel are being violated?

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'll just put this right here. Clearly, some of you need to refresh your headwear...

REY721-2.jpg

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
As someone else stated in the UK we have transparency of who owns/operates a business, name, address etc. this information is freely available. If everything is above board then why is information being concealed? It doesn't affect me anyway as I wouldn't be paying the crazy prices, plus shipping and import tax, I have quite enough mugs... but I can see why people are asking questions and the thread on the other forum did have some odd shenanigans going on. Anyway since nobody cares I guess there is nothing else to say.

Angleswings

Adventurer
some people just like to create problems, who cares who own the store or not, stop wasting your time as it is clear that the Devs will not answer you, they dont have too.

You should focus your energy on asking them where is the coming soon account mgmt?, you are complaining that the uoswag doesnt have a contact number? ROFL, We cant contact BS with our own problems with our own accounts that we pay for, than you have to call EA and they ask you, UO what? what is that?? they have no clue.

idc if this guy or that girl own the swag store, why should you?, just dont buy if you dont like and move on. clearly the person came up with the idea and the Devs liked, otherwise wouldn't be in the uo.com. if you are so concerned about, why not post something on their official forum and lets see how quickly that topic will be locked.

Finley Grant

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
some people just like to create problems, who cares who own the store or not, stop wasting your time as it is clear that the Devs will not answer you, they dont have too.

You should focus your energy on asking them where is the coming soon account mgmt?, you are complaining that the uoswag doesnt have a contact number? ROFL, We cant contact BS with our own problems with our own accounts that we pay for, than you have to call EA and they ask you, UO what? what is that?? they have no clue.

idc if this guy or that girl own the swag store, why should you?, just dont buy if you dont like and move on. clearly the person came up with the idea and the Devs liked, otherwise wouldn't be in the uo.com. if you are so concerned about, why not post something on their official forum and lets see how quickly that topic will be locked.
souds about right

Mr. Mayhem

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
My two cents: I think this is really about transparency. People can make whatever decision(s) they want on whether or not they want to purchase through this channel or not. The problem is that this was announced as an official store, promoted on the UO website, and discussed on official forums and newsletters. It appears that the support through the store was less than appropriate with a lack of overall communication. As soon as a problem was surfaced after no resolution from the store, it is brought to light that this store is a third party, and had to be address via a forum a newsletters

As with many businesses, there are no issues working with a third party. But, If you have nothing to hide, why not easily state who you are partnering with if this is being promoted officially through UO? It would certainly clear up a lot of the concerns through the player base and show some credibility. Remaining silent does raise questions about integrity when it could be easily out in the open and resolved.

MrUber

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A-Who cares and
B-ALL garbage poorly printed items
by the font alone on the horribly designed webpage ya can see it is :lame:

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
$20 for a mug???

I can get the logo from Google images and get my own printed for way less than this using something like Vistaprint.

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
$20 for a mug???

I can get the logo from Google images and get my own printed for way less than this using something like Vistaprint.
Well IF I knew 100% that the $20 was going to EA to help fund this game then I would gladly pay it....it's a reasonable price for a name brand.

Mr. Mayhem

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Well IF I knew 100% that the $20 was going to EA to help fund this game then I would gladly pay it....it's a reasonable price for a name brand.
@Larisa brings up a good point. It would be nice to know if that money is actually going back to the game we want to support. :)

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Even if it went to EA do you really think it would be going back to help with UO?

I don't. It will be going towards some fat cats Christmas bonus.