• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Who is really running the UO swag store?

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
There is this post on the "official" forum: Unacceptable customer service from UO Swag

At first it just looks like usual Mesanna business, but then I gave the swag store a look.

What I first notice: Nowhere it says who is responsible for the shop, all you have is a black-hole style contact form. This feels a bit odd, but I assume in the US it is completely legal to run a business without telling your customers who you are (The gold seller sites do this as well, though I see they actually have an intent for it there ;)).

So I went on to check who registered uoswag.com. First I ask myself: Why didnt they just use a subdomain on uo.com, e.g. shop.uo.com or swag.uo.com? Well, I won't know.

So I check who registered the domain, and it is registered through "Domains by Proxy", which is a service to hide the true registrant, which is odd, since neither the uo.com (registered to EA) nor broadsword.com (registrered to Broadsword Online Games) domain do this.

Idk, maybe it is just me. But that is beyond fishy. Almost like they ordered one of the gold seller friends to run that shop for them.

For sure we will never know. Maybe it is just - like last time when gold sellers upped their prices for the upcoming castle designs - another coincidence.

I really doubt an official store from Broadsword would go to such lengths to make sure they are not telling customer that they are indeed Broadsword Online Games.

Happy :tinhat:

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Or check the privacy policy, nowhere it refers to EA or Broadsword Online Games.

Everyone there is paying some stranger named "UO SWAG".

We are committed to conducting our business in accordance with these principles in order to ensure that the confidentiality of personal information is protected and maintained. UO SWAG may change this privacy policy from time to time at UO SWAG's sole discretion.
In a "better safe than sorry" style, I guess best would be to reach out to Broadsword or EA before spending money there.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Well Messana mentioned the swag store in a newsletter and made it sound official...so there should be information freely available on who is running the site...right? :confused:

Publish 103 TC Release 1 & Ultima Swag Store

We are also pleased to announce the launch of the Ultima Swag store where you can purchase a variety of merchandise to show off your love of Ultima Online, complete with international shipping! You can visit the swag store by visiting the link on the UO.com homepage!

Acid Rain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
From the Swag Store:

“These terms and conditions are governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of Florida and you irrevocably submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts in that State or location.”

It’s gotta be legit cause it’s from UO’s Florida Branch right ? When did they open a Florida office?

grimiz

Sage
Stratics Veteran
It certainly has the aesthetics of a gold sellers site (people stuck in 90s technology). ouch.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I really would have expected something like this there:

upload_2018-12-7_19-16-10.png

Instead there is no UO trademarked material or reference to it there apart from the actual items to buy.

I mean if I buy a mug for double the rate I could buy on any other sites (Vistaprint), I would at least hope this money is going to support the game.

But from what we know, the money could as well go to some anonymous guy in Florida who backchannels it to Mesanna and whoever else might be involved without UO seeing a single cent of it.

For fairness, I would also invite @Mesanna to clear any confusion up. Would really like to be proven wrong :)

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Hmm the plot thickens it seems that UOSwag has an actual UO game account as they have replied on the official forum....what's the chances a company that makes printed game merchandise actually plays that game...

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
UOSwag
About
Username UOSwag Joined 9:53AM Visits 1 Last Active 10:26AM Roles Member, Active UO Account Posts 1 Primary Shard Atlantic
funny they just made that account LMAO.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I don't know if it's just me but the fact they have a UO account at all seems really weird! Also this talk of the volume of orders, well maybe there could have been back in 2003 or something but 15 years later that sounds hard to believe.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I think I know what she will say....' LOL next question!' or possibly 'Bleak?!' but most likely it will be 'We'll put it on the list'.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
From the newsletter:

I would also like to address the issue posted on the UO Forums regarding the non-communication from the UO Swag Store. I spoke with the company and explained the issue described in the post. They agreed with me that this is not acceptable and would correct this for any future orders. The UO Swag Store is a third party retailer and as with all new partnerships there are always issues to work out, please be patient and email if there is ever a problem so we can see that it is addressed.
Funny how they just came forward with that today :)

Just keep in mind you are not paying a premium on those items for the better of UO but for some anonymous Florida guy's pension fund. I certainly am sure it is the usual suspect, but going there would be against the ToS. Cheers.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Well the thread has now been closed, curiouser and curiouser as Alice would say, hmm I agree it's all very strange and suspicious!
Truth hurts I suppose. They always lock the threads when it gets a bit hot for a known gold seller :D

Apart from that I doubt there is much I can do about it. Guess we are all old enough to draw our conclusions. I personally just can't let my account drop completely considering its only like 10 bucks every 3 months when I put it on maintenance. It still makes me sick though to see the game I love so much being corrupted by the very same people responsible for running it. So I will keep raising awareness on those fishy structures whenever I encounter them.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
That is everybody I interact with on the internet or most media. Since I have no facesmack or any of that stuff.
I can look up within minutes the responsible CEOs behind EA or Broadsword Online Games from the information they provide themselfs.

Can you tell me who is the responsible CEO behind UO Swag?

I don't need a face. But how about a name?

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I can look up within minutes the responsible CEOs behind EA or Broadsword Online Games from the information they provide themselfs.

Can you tell me who is the responsible CEO behind UO Swag?

I don't need a face. But how about a name?
Opps sorry I took the wrong crossroad. I was headed to Yew. Im turning around now. Good Bye!

Sorry to pop in. Total apathy to this topic. Just wanted to join the fun.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Might be just me, just always raises a question mark if someone is trying to sell me stuff and at the same time tries to hide his identity.

Other people might be more open to sending money to anonymous strangers..
Then don't purchase any of the swag. Those who do can check their CC bills for more info.

I know conspiracy theories are in vogue right now, but this is a bit silly.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Opps sorry I took the wrong crossroad. I was headed to Yew. Im turning around now. Good Bye!

Sorry to pop in. Total apathy to this topic. Just wanted to join the fun.
That was pretty easy. Take care and stay safe ;)

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Then don't purchase any of the swag. Those who do can check their CC bills for more info.

I know conspiracy theories are in vogue right now, but this is a bit silly.
The question of the thread itself is "Who is really running the UO Swag store?".

Is it already a conspiracy to ask who the company behind a website is? We just got told it is not Broadsword, which was never stated before. Please stop trolling this thread if you have nothing to add to the initial question.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Fine, fine... I'm sure everyone eagerly awaits your breathless expose on 4chan regarding the child labor sweatshop in the basement under Mesanna's house churning out EA-unapproved UO merch.

If you're so concerned, don't purchase anything. It's really that simple.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
*chuckles* Many of you amaze me sometimes on occasion.

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Fine, fine... I'm sure everyone eagerly awaits your breathless expose on 4chan regarding the child labor sweatshop in the basement under Mesanna's house churning out EA-unapproved UO merch.

If you're so concerned, don't purchase anything. It's really that simple.
See, instead of replying to any questions raised in this thread you choose to draw a huge hyperbole and just ridicoule the whole question. No offence, but I can't see how this is anything productive.

As you can see on the official forum, there are already people out there that have paid money to this site and have not heard back from them apart from - fortunately - seeing the refund.

Raising awareness as done in this thread can help prevent other people having the same bad experience. I gladly take some accusations of being a 4chan conspiry theorists when it only helps a single future customer staying safe. This is not about me ;)

Cailleach

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
From the Swag Store:

“These terms and conditions are governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of Florida and you irrevocably submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts in that State or location.”

It’s gotta be legit cause it’s from UO’s Florida Branch right ? When did they open a Florida office?

What an interesting idea. If they do business in other countries, the UK for example, then they have to comply with UK law as far as I know. You can't write T&C's and hope they stand up to legal challenge, you have to make sure they do, and I'm pretty sure that wouldn't!

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
It's usually pretty easy in the UK to find who owns/runs a business, this information is a matter of public record, it has saved many people from getting scammed by the same dodgy chancers more than once.

Cailleach

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's usually pretty easy in the UK to find who owns/runs a business, this information is a matter of public record, it has saved many people from getting scammed by the same dodgy chancers more than once.
It is indeed, and, as you say, is so for a reason. There's ways around it, of course but, as my Grandpa would say, locks will only keep an honest man out.

I honestly find it fascinating that *anyone* could think that would stand up to legal challenge. I mean ok, someone is hardly likely to do so over a mug or two, but once it starts racking up, all bets there are off. You can't police the net, it's impossible. But specifics, oh, those are very policeable, and if you draw attention to yourself by being somewhat less reputable than you ought to be, well, you might not enjoy the consequences!

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Some of us dont understand the issue...so there's a regular player thats in charge of UO Swag ? And they're a gold seller ? Can we talk about it, or will Rorshach log in his Stratics account and lock this one too ?

Amber Witch

Babbling Loonie
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It's someone, or a company, who has entered into an agreement with Broadsword or EA to have the rights to market and sell UO logo'd items. Who it is? It's not really important. I'm buying the product, not going on a date with them.
Please note: The items are being sold outside the game.

I hope who ever has taken the initiative to do this makes enough money to cover their expenses and it provides some kind of income. I applaud you.

elster

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The domains by proxy is a tell that this is registered to an individual and not a business. If this was a legitimate 3rd party business, the company address / contact information would be available on the whois record. There is no reason to hide it unless 1) it's just some individual doing this for a cash grab or 2) the business wants to be anonymous (why in the world would a business who can make/sell merch for people want to be anonymous)?

elster

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It's someone, or a company, who has entered into an agreement with Broadsword or EA to have the rights to market and sell UO logo'd items. Who it is? It's not really important. I'm buying the product, not going on a date with them.

I hope who ever has taken the initiative to do this makes enough money to cover their expenses and it provides some kind of income. I applaud you.
Sure, do whatever you please, but this is a textbook issue of business ethics.

Acid Rain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
When I read abt the store on forums my 1st thought was - Who would name a store "Swag" ?
It seemed juvenile as the only reference for that word I've heard is from drug related movies, tv, or print.
Feeling old, I decided I must be out of the loop & wanted to catch up on current lingo.
I did a Google search with the words "Swag definition" and this came up :

swag
/swaɡ/
noun
  1. a curtain or piece of fabric fastened so as to hang in a drooping curve.
  2. INFORMAL
    money or goods taken by a thief or burglar.

"their homes offer tempting swag for burglars"
Just thought it was funny/ironic & had to share. :)

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It's not important to know the company. Until you order items, pay them and don't hear back in weeks :rolleyes: Then you need to make a public post on official UO forums to get a response (see OP).

Keith of Sonoma

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Well the thread has now been closed, curiouser and curiouser as Alice would say, hmm I agree it's all very strange and suspicious!
Just an FYI, it seems that now, some time after locking the thread, someone has also gone back and deleted some additional posts in the thread. I including one from a WELL KNOWN player, who is also a HUGE RMT person who was showing off his new UO Swag, and giving a "glowing" review of the site. LOL

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I noticed that too, I honestly feel this is all a bit odd, the OP wasn't doing/saying anything that could be illegal if that site is an official partnership with Broadsword, as our own producer has implied. It seems wrong that their concerns have just been ignored.

Keith of Sonoma

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I noticed that too, I honestly feel this is all a bit odd, the OP wasn't doing/saying anything that could be illegal if that site is an official partnership with Broadsword, as our own producer has implied. It seems wrong that their concerns have just been ignored.
Exactly, why start deleting posts AFTER you have already locked the thread. Unless, perhaps you realized that we aren't as stupid as you thought, and you are trying to do "damage control" and "cover your tracks". @Mesanna I welcome you the opportunity to explain.

If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck...... Then I'm guessing it's a duck! Just sayin'.

Picus of Napa

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It would be worth contacting shareholder relations and present your concerns as a shareholder concerned with lost revenue. It could very well be that EA has foregone this type of revenue stream and broadsword is entitled to it.