• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Who got you best?

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
*hands @The Zog historian a tissue*

Yes... Yes it was. All those times... pixels.

*Leans in for a hug*
I've no need for a tissue, but you need a magical one to give you a smidgen of consistency.

So have you deleted all your things yet, and changed your passwords to what you'll forget, to demonstrate to us things are just "pixels"?

If things in UO are "just pixels," then why don't you delete all your characters weekly (daily if you could) and start all over?

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I've no need for a tissue, but you need a magical one to give you a smidgen of consistency.
Pretty much anyone can tell you that I'm consistent if nothing else. I've been nothing but consistent on my views that it's all just pixels and a lot of y'all take it way too serious.

So have you deleted all your things yet, and changed your passwords to what you'll forget, to demonstrate to us things are just "pixels"?
Again, anyone who knows me knows that I don't really have much of anything to delete. I can change my password and start over, but my account is already inactive and I have no plans of reactivating again. So I'm not sure what that would prove.

Everything I've ever done in game, every friend I've ever had, every encounter be it good or bad, I remember. I don't need pixels to prove it or remember it. It's a game, I use it to kill time and make memories good and bad. Pixels come and go.

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Pretty much anyone can tell you that I'm consistent if nothing else. I've been nothing but consistent on my views that it's all just pixels and a lot of y'all take it way too serious.

Again, anyone who knows me knows that I don't really have much of anything to delete. I can change my password and start over, but my account is already inactive and I have no plans of reactivating again. So I'm not sure what that would prove.

Everything I've ever done in game, every friend I've ever had, every encounter be it good or bad, I remember. I don't need pixels to prove it or remember it. It's a game, I use it to kill time and make memories good and bad. Pixels come and go.
I'm with stinky things don't matter people do...

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I'm with stinky things don't matter people do...
While that is true... I guess maybe that's part of the ADHD/ADD experience in that my memory is "triggered" by seeing things or sometimes a smell or a sound but more often an item. If I don't see those things then memories tend to get forgotten... so having those items around to trigger that memory is important to me. As I clean and sort things in my home I wonder ... why did I keep that? And then looking closer I remember some odd thing about it ... and smile or cry... and fall in love with the item all over again... as it stirs things in my memory. Without those things, such memories remain in the dark places in my mind... lost and forgotten.

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
While that is true... I guess maybe that's part of the ADHD/ADD experience in that my memory is "triggered" by seeing things or sometimes a smell or a sound but more often an item. If I don't see those things then memories tend to get forgotten... so having those items around to trigger that memory is important to me. As I clean and sort things in my home I wonder ... why did I keep that? And then looking closer I remember some odd thing about it ... and smile or cry... and fall in love with the item all over again... as it stirs things in my memory. Without those things, such memories remain in the dark places in my mind... lost and forgotten.
So write it down... It's free.

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

So you deleted all your charactes and items since to start all over, right? Right?

You don't need "stuff," well good for you. Maybe Queen Mum can give you a cookie. Most everyone else plays to accumulate "stuff" in order to play the game better, with or without others. This isn't Diablo or EQ or any other leveling game, hence things like training characters and building houses.

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I tend to agree with Pete in the sense that people try to hoard way too many things in this game and focus too much on how many decorations they have or how their house looks. Honestly I don't care what you do with your own house but when those same people then start asking for the Dev team to give them more junk and then start complaining about whatever the junk is or it's not working how they want or they want to be able to do more with it; that is when I completely agree with Pete and think it should just be trash since that all should be secondary to the experience/enjoyment (or torment) of playing the game.

So you deleted all your charactes and items since to start all over, right? Right?

You don't need "stuff," well good for you. Maybe Queen Mum can give you a cookie. Most everyone else plays to accumulate "stuff" in order to play the game better, with or without others. This isn't Diablo or EQ or any other leveling game, hence things like training characters and building houses.
Why do you keep saying to delete the characters/account?

You seem to be lumping items in with player skills which isn't a very valid comparison in today's UO world. You also seem to be grouping together a player's gear (ie functional use) with a player's house decoration (ie useless pixels).

Sometimes it is fun (because of the challenge) to start fresh but do you really think anyone is going to want to start at level 1 every single week or month? I worked taming from 50 - 100 (and then to 120) the old fashion way of taming bulls/bears/wolves before you could just mastery your way up while using an alacrity scroll. There were long days and nights spent getting those gains which was fun at times and tedious at other times but they are memories nonetheless. I did it again on another shard before we could shard transfer. That said, I'd have zero desire to tame another polar bear ever again.

I see what you are saying about accumulating stuff to play better (and agree). As the game has evolved; the game play is now, more than ever, item based for game play (not to be confused with decorations). I can barely keep up with some PvPers today when I'm in full suit; much less if i were to try and create a new character with 60-70 skill level and some GM made armor. Same with end-game type content; you don't stand a chance in shadowguard being naked or with GM armor but that's because all the damage equations etc have changed since early days AND the end-game content back then was a dragon / lich lord / elder gazer. That said, I would be completely fine with reverting content back to pre-aos and running around in GM armor if A) the population was there in game to support it (ie more group hunts / more interactions outside the same old things like Underwater) & B) the content would support it (aka water down the content back to dragons / lich lords / elder gazors being top end content).

John Knighthawke

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Nah, it is all junk. I don't care about the pixels at all, only the other players reaction to having their junk stolen. The item itself usually ends up in the trash. I literally threw pretty much everything I had in the trash when I stopped playing. I don't understand why you let other people's lack of enjoyment and decision to quit affect your feelings. I bet you aren't sad that I quit playing. Seems to be a double standard.
You appear to be using the term 'double standard' incorrectly.

AdamPD

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The largest loss for me was before AOS, I believe around the Publish 16 era, on the Baja shard.

I had really nice (and expensive) Large marble patio right outside of, I believe Trinsic, on the beach/sandy area.

A known (unknown to me) scammer approached me and offered me 20 million for it (when gold was a fair bit rarer) and I accepted.

There was some kind of exploit at the time, which was fixed a week later in a patch whereby they could use a program to manipulate the trade window when trading a house.

So we went to the marble, I initiated the transfer, but then the window closed, he asked me to take ownership of a small tower about 3 screens away, which I did, but when I clicked the accept button, I took ownership of the small tower and he got ownership of my large marble.

One of the community reps at the time (Canyon) told me it was basically an exploit where the scammer could keep open a cancelled transaction window on their end, then once they opened a new transaction window (whether it was an item, pet or house), accepting the open transactoin, would accept both.

This wasn't supposed to happen, of course, as you could only transfer houses within 2-3? tiles of the house sign and the house deed in the window was for the small tower. I should've just backed out when he started making it complicated, but didn't.

So once I realized the house had been stolen, I paged the GM's and said an exploit had taken place, I was pulled into Jail, as was the exploiter, after explaining what happened and that I had taken screenshots, I was sent back to my original spot and had a message saying the GM couldn't see any evidence of an exploit and they couldn't help.

Long story short I posted the story including the screenshots on the old MyUO boards and a Lead GM got involved (Lead GM Maleki I think he was called).

He seized the house, placed signs on it saying for the owner to page into the GM system, I had a hidden character on my cousin's account waiting around, the scammer logged in and his friend arrived and they had planned to deed the house and steal the signs.

To cut an already long story short, the GM removed the house, deleted the signs, then a passerby managed to place a house before the GM could, so the GM made him deed that house, then a new marble was placed and handed to me.

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
You appear to be using the term 'double standard' incorrectly.
Nah, I'm pretty sure I got that right. You apply a different set of principles to determine whether you feel sad about someone quitting UO. I do appreciate the definition though and I assure you that if I was wrong, I would readily concede. I find that use of the English language is one of my strong suits though.

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
The fact that things are so important to people deco houses etc is exactly why NL is doomed
You're probably right. NL is pretty much doomed to fail with their current customers mainly for this reason. Unfortunately, most of the people who play just to have fun are gone and I doubt they'll be back. I have talked to quite a few people who are planning to resub for NL though so the devs do have a chance to bring a lot of people back, but I just don't have a lot of faith that this team is capable of creating content that doesn't revolve around collecting junk. They haven't done anything to prove that they can make engaging content, but then again, if they did, they'd be met with the same old "wah, wah, where's my reward? wah, wah. So it should be interesting to see how well NL is received.

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
You're probably right. NL is pretty much doomed to fail with their current customers mainly for this reason. Unfortunately, most of the people who play just to have fun are gone and I doubt they'll be back. I have talked to quite a few people who are planning to resub for NL though so the devs do have a chance to bring a lot of people back, but I just don't have a lot of faith that this team is capable of creating content that doesn't revolve around collecting junk. They haven't done anything to prove that they can make engaging content, but then again, if they did, they'd be met with the same old "wah, wah, where's my reward? wah, wah. So it should be interesting to see how well NL is received.
Well no one can take a year off their regular shard the power creep demands you get every new item or fall behind in the ability to do current content so if i spend a year and all i have to show is a Mcdougle da patodale title and a 7 xgm character with crappy gear why bother

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Well no one can take a year off their regular shard the power creep demands you get every new item or fall behind in the ability to do current content so if i spend a year and all i have to show is a Mcdougle da patodale title and a 7 xgm character with crappy gear why bother
New friends? A new outlook on what the game could be? Less concern for your regular shard perhaps? The answers to that question are limitless.

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Those are all wonderful but today's monsters are far better than when you last played even imps cast at 8/8 with unlimited mana able to cure and fireball you to death at same time liches are even worse i mean i guess as long as your new found friends are dead too it's fun...

Great DC

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I remember back in 98 i was playing a swords lumberjacker hitting trees just north of britain. This red came by and I killed him and after he ressed and came back he offered me a spot in his guild. I said ok and he gated me to his house on ice island. After talking in there a few minutes 4-5 other reds popped out of hiding and killed me and took all my stuff. I wandered dead on ice isle for like a week waiting on help stuck which took forever back then. Worst thing I lose was my DP katana my buddy made me to kill the reds.

SteelRust

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Isn’t UO a sandbox game
People choose their own path
Some craft
Some PVP
Some PVM
Some deco
Some bank sit
Some Etc.
Live and let live it’s a game
Exactly.

Unfortunately some... "people" don't feel satisfifed if, out a self proclaimed righteousness, they don't gratuituosly mess with other people choice.

As IRL, so in UO...

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Why do you keep saying to delete the characters/account?

You seem to be lumping items in with player skills which isn't a very valid comparison in today's UO world. You also seem to be grouping together a player's gear (ie functional use) with a player's house decoration (ie useless pixels).
Because he said it's all pixels. If the stuff is replaceable, if he plays just for fun, then the accounts can go completely too.

I checked back in, and nope, he still hasn't. Someone let me know when he does.

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So once I realized the house had been stolen, I paged the GM's and said an exploit had taken place, I was pulled into Jail, as was the exploiter, after explaining what happened and that I had taken screenshots, I was sent back to my original spot and had a message saying the GM couldn't see any evidence of an exploit and they couldn't help.

Long story short I posted the story including the screenshots on the old MyUO boards and a Lead GM got involved (Lead GM Maleki I think he was called).

He seized the house, placed signs on it saying for the owner to page into the GM system, I had a hidden character on my cousin's account waiting around, the scammer logged in and his friend arrived and they had planned to deed the house and steal the signs.

To cut an already long story short, the GM removed the house, deleted the signs, then a passerby managed to place a house before the GM could, so the GM made him deed that house, then a new marble was placed and handed to me.
Wow, sometimes the good guys do win. Back then one of the UO comics (ImaNewbie? Lost in UO?) satirized how often GMs replied "Sorry I cannot help thee" by showing them in UO jail for macroing.

I wonder if the scammer was the GM of guild I'm "historian" of (meaning when he popped back on Stratics and I made a new handle to chronicle all the times I dirtnapped him). It could have been so many others, though. There were innumerable house scammers then.

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Nah, I'm pretty sure I got that right. You apply a different set of principles to determine whether you feel sad about someone quitting UO. I do appreciate the definition though and I assure you that if I was wrong, I would readily concede. I find that use of the English language is one of my strong suits though.
Thanks for admitting your use of double standards.

Ghost of Gramps

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
For some reasons, my most fond memories now are of those early days when horror was around every corner.

I remember I started playing after watching my daughters gaming on UO. We used the same account, which exists to this day. I started a crafter (Ghost of Gramps) and built skill up making things for her. I made a nice little suit for her of leather, all dyed in red, a nice little bonnet, and a cape of the same color. Bo Peep in Hell, she was. We started playing under the old rule set, when all was Felucca. She would go out taming cats, dogs and sheep to build up her skill set in that direction. Shortly after Trammel and Felucca came along, she was signed on somewhere, looking for a house. This was on Atlantic in those days, and even then a spot was hard to find. Sitting by her watching her walk around Haven, a nice character came up and asked her if she was looking for a house. She said she was. He popped open a red gate, and she walked through, her recent tame of a sheep following behind her. Why not. He seemed like such a friendly chap. Right beside the water was this lovely little Classic of just one room. It was perfect. Nice starter home. He invited her in, and she looked around, not that there was much to look at but a table in the middle of the room. She realized suddenly he was attacking her and she ran for the door, but he had locked it. She ran around the table and as she did he chased her around and around, all the while stabbing away. Before my eyes my daughter was being murdered. She eventually turned ghost. He then killed the sheep. I do not remember if there was insurance in those days, or if we did not know about those things yet, but he stripped her down to nothing. She just looked up at me and said, "Dad?" I was mortified. Somehow we got her ghost back to Trammel and a rez. I do not think I let her play UO for a couple of months after that, so traumatized was I by the whole affair.

All good fun looking back now. Those were good days.

AdamPD

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I wonder if the scammer was the GM of guild I'm "historian" of (meaning when he popped back on Stratics and I made a new handle to chronicle all the times I dirtnapped him). It could have been so many others, though. There were innumerable house scammers then.
It was so long ago now, I can't remember exactly, I think it was Soulseeker or Soulstealer or something.
Yea I wasn't expecting that end result, but I believe as it was a confirmed bug, they made an exception.

Ghost of Gramps

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It was so long ago now, I can't remember exactly, I think it was Soulseeker or Soulstealer or something.
Yea I wasn't expecting that end result, but I believe as it was a confirmed bug, they made an exception.
That's it? What, you put yo hands down yo pants and leave us at that? What da hell kinda story is dat? Wheres da dis and dat and some tease?

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I know it can't be my old friend Lich Soulstealer, who was honest as the day is long. He quit many years ago for RL reasons.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I've said this story many times, but back in the days of pre-AoS loot I had this vanquishing sword and full exceptional valorite plate I worked so hard to get.

I was vendor blocking dragons/demons on Fire Isle using a sandstone house when me and another player clashed over the area. I don't remember the exact details, but I it came to verbal flexing and he dropped a moonstone to Fel. I went through... 7xGM warrior in full val plate and vanquishing sword?! Screw that dude. And he had this warhammer. That's not better than a sword, right?!

Well, first my shield went. Then my helm, then my chest... etc. We had a good laugh and became friends. He resurrected me after killing.

Ellie

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
When I started playing on Cats it was just fel. Another person and I were running around just checking things out. We were above Yew along the water and came across things on the ground. Boards, ore and things like that. We started picking them up and along came a couple of other guys. They chased us off and they got the ore and boards. The next morning when I got on I realized the shard had reverted. I got to thinking. If it reverted then the things that were on the ground last night just might be there. I hurried back to the area, low and behold, they were there and I collected it all. No easy thing as I had to drag it off to the bank and it was a ways to go but I got it all.

My daughter had stopped playing and there was her house in the grassy part of the Trinsic swamp. I went there one day and it was gone but for a few things. This was about the time the Hag quests started and everyone was getting the cauldrons. I was looking through the few bags on the ground and in one was her kettle she had gotten in the fall of Trinsic. I still have it. It is in the SCB Reading Room in Vesper fel, where I have books written by players from that time. Go visit the reading room, sit and enjoy some great stories, some written by her and one by me.

Goldberg-Chessy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Years ago I got beat for $100 trying to buy an account from some random dude hanging around the Vesper bank. After I sent payment he messaged me back saying the log-in name was 'when pigs fly'
Funny stuff.
I was buying and selling a ton back then so it wasn't even a blip and I was usually pretty good at sniffing out scams so luckily it was the only time I got beat for anything substantial.

SugarMMM

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Many many years ago on Sonoma just outside of Vesper there was a guy named Magma that whooped me on a daily basis! He used to patrol the road from the bank to the cemetery and kill anyone that visited my vendor house. Hehe

I was finally able to talk to him and he was on a T1 connection and I was on a 26.4 dial upconnection. It was crazy how fast he moved!