• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Who got you best?

Blackie

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Who "got" you best and what did you lose? (no real money transaction stories, please)

Just curious about the time(s) another player got you good and infuriated you, what you lost etc. We ALL have a memory of getting taken advantage of or making a costly mistake in this game, what was yours?

As the game gets long in the tooth there are MANY stories worth sharing, not all of them good but all of them UO !

No flaming or name calling... just a good story if you will!

I've been pretty lucky and the time I messed up the worst would have been in Britain circa 1999. Almost everyone banked in Britain back then and scams were ripe. Trapped crates actually killed people at the bank and it was possible to steal in town though a guard whack was sure to follow. People made a macro to "bank guards" for a reason :)

I got snooped at the bank, I called the guards and watched as a guard lookalike with a halberd teleported and one-shot a fellow next to me, they were guildmates. I stupidly snooped the fellow's corpse, which turned me grey since he had not turned grey(snooping was not a crime), and got me guard-whacked. I lost a few silver vanqs for my troubles as people freely looted me, lol.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
That's a good one.

I can't remember all the things I lost while playing the banksitting vultures game.

I do not recall how I lost it but I was very angry when someone got my Shadow Iron Plate suit. I quit UO for a couple years after that. When I returned AoS had happened and all my characters were in Fel and all my stuff had new names and attributes. I had to take all of them to Tram and make new Runes.

I did get mad at a player named Krom. He would walk around the area around Delucia in orc form. He would have overhead chat that orcs use. Of course I ran up and attacked him more than once so I got pked by him.
I wrote a note about him on that scroll page that we can write on.

obeeee

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
That's a good one.

I can't remember all the things I lost while playing the banksitting vultures game.

I do not recall how I lost it but I was very angry when someone got my Shadow Iron Plate suit. I quit UO for a couple years after that. When I returned AoS had happened and all my characters were in Fel and all my stuff had new names and attributes. I had to take all of them to Tram and make new Runes.

I did get mad at a player named Krom. He would walk around the area around Delucia in orc form. He would have overhead chat that orcs use. Of course I ran up and attacked him more than once so I got pked by him.
I wrote a note about him on that scroll page that we can write on.
You probably bought it from me off my vendor @ the BcB guild house inside Minoc city limits

Dryzzid of Atlantic

Lore Master
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
"Adria the Witch".

I had a swell log cabin on the coast near Britain and they had an L-shaped next to me and pretty much hounded me until I moved. I was wearing some newly crafted 1109 clothing one day and recalled to my house and there were 2 pack horses in front of my door with a space in between them... I ran through one, got stuck between them (Fel) and lost my clothes that day.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
When my guild was the 2nd largest on Atlantic and leader of an alliance with multiple other large guilds we had a really bad issue with an infiltrator who would afk kill guildies/alliance members and rob them. Eventually he got even more bold and would jump guildies after they bought something off a vendor before they could insure it.

He was an absolute ghost, even though I had leader or emissary characters in every allied guild I couldn’t even figure out which thief was doing it, let alone who their guilded characters were. He’d stolen over 2 platinum worth of stuff in 6 months and it was wreaking havoc on the whole alliance. I even put up a bounty of a platinum on myself, that if he managed to steal anything from me or kill me I’d pay him a plat just so I could see him for myself to boot him. He never even tried, too dedicated to take the payoff to reveal himself.

Two of the most famous thieves on the shard offered to help me deal with this problem due to favors they owed me and how severe it had gotten. They were successfully able to identify him for me (turned out to be Impulse doing it) and we finally got all of his characters out after almost an entire year of chaos. He’d been using tricks to appear offline on the guild roster while actually being logged in under a disguise kit name which is why it seemed like such a phantom doing it even seconds after he was spotted.

It was the longest and most high-stakes game of Where’s Waldo ever….

Honorable mention to Evil Lord Smurfy for yoinking the red death statue I was trying to lock down back when those were worth a lot, and selling it back for half price.

Herman

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Donno about losing the most (don't remember)

But the old (I RES YOU AT YOR BODY) is probably the one that got me the most times (more times than i like to admit))

Alaric

Adventurer
UNLEASHED
I have been witness to some EPIC thefts, but never personally been hit by anything big enough to remember - there was a thief once who literally made a char with the same name, clothing, etc of a rather noteworthy rare collector. He walked right up to an auction house and said 'Ive changed my mind about selling these items.' He walked away with a one of a kind set of EM armor, probably worth upward of 10 plat combined today. Im sure there are posts about it somewhere still.

Cerwin Vega

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I only got tricked once and thankfully it wasn't for a lot of gold. Back in the day black dye tubs that were just named dye tub were semi rare and I seen a guy selling one. He put a bag up in the trade window and opened it to show the tub. I put my cursor over the bottom of the tub and it said dye tub just as expected. I paid and he ran off and when I went to use the tub I found he had dyed something black, a pile of wool i think... and it fit perfectly on the dye tub covering the gray area of a freshly bought tub from the tailor.

Prime.

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Losing a Luna house to a known scripter.

Somehow managed to find an empty plot when I was just running by (How lucky!), rushed to get a placement tool, just clicked a random sizing so I could get the plot secure and resize later.

Time went by, dead at night, hid, demolished and plot placed immediately by the individual.

My fault for not checking the area first, big lesson learned.

Maybe 13 years ago? Back when there was a market for Luna houses on all shards, prior to plot being secured for placement of original owner. Still haven't owned another Luna house since.

Alaric

Adventurer
UNLEASHED
@Prime. His story reminded me of my first experience at a large scale idoc. Luna house fell on either atl or greatlakes, first house west of the bank on the north side. PRIME real estate amongst other luna houses. It was the patch that 'removed the ability for items to block housing' - I got the 'okay' button and my house was immediately blocked by a campfire. And that was the last idoc I participated in. Good riddance. Honestly idocers abuse and exploit game mechanics 10x more than pvpers ever have. Worst class of people in the game. Im a bit triggered that you made me remember that LOL.

Dryzzid of Atlantic

Lore Master
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I only got tricked once and thankfully it wasn't for a lot of gold. Back in the day black dye tubs that were just named dye tub were semi rare and I seen a guy selling one. He put a bag up in the trade window and opened it to show the tub. I put my cursor over the bottom of the tub and it said dye tub just as expected. I paid and he ran off and when I went to use the tub I found he had dyed something black, a pile of wool i think... and it fit perfectly on the dye tub covering the gray area of a freshly bought tub from the tailor.
I fell for this one too, except it was 3 bonnets instead of a pile of wool.

SteelRust

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Mine is a story of self-inflicted damage.

I had the GENIAL idea to move a Backpack with my WHOLE collection of AoS uniquely hued Shoes using the "Relocate Container" function.

My target spot was near an inside Stair in a Custom House, and the Stair occluded the visibility of the relocated Container. When I moved near the Stairs and activated the CoT to see the BP to Lock & Secure it, with my HORROR I discoverd that inside Stairs are NOT made see-through by the CoT.

In panic I activated Customize Mode to eliminate the Stairs, Commited the new Stairless design... and the BP, with, again, my WHOLE collection of ALL THE HUES of AoS Shoes was NOWHERE to be found.

I have still have panic attacks nowdays when I pass in front of a shoes shop IRL... :sad3: :sad2: :p

Last edited:

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
They
Mine is a story of self-inflicted damage.

I had the GENIAL idea to move a Backpack with my WHOLE collection of AoS uniquely hued Shoes using the "Relocate Container" function.

My target spot was near an inside Stair in a Custom House, and the Stair occluded the visibility of the relocated Container. When I moved near the Stairs and activated the CoT to see the BP to Secure the Lock & Secure it, with my HORROR I discoverd that inside Stairs are NOT made see-through by the CoT.

In panic I activated Customize Mode to eliminate the Stairs, Commited the new Stairless design... and the BP, with, again, my WHOLE collection of ALL THE HUES of AoS Shoes was NOWHERE to be found.

I have still have panic attacks nowdays when I pass in front of a shoes shop IRL... :sad3: :sad2: :p
went either under the house sign and then poofed, or were in the moving crate.

SteelRust

Sage
Stratics Veteran
They

went either under the house sign and then poofed, or were in the moving crate.
Not in the MC, I checked FRANTICALLY, blelieve me, and if if went under the House Sign, it poofed almost immeduately, because the In/Out the Customization mode to delete the Stairs tooks at max a couple on mins...:eek: :sad2: :p

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Not in the MC, I checked FRANTICALLY, blelieve me, and if if went under the House Sign, it poofed almost immeduately, because the In/Out the Customization mode to delete the Stairs tooks at max a couple on mins...:eek: :sad2:
Your Mileage may very, but that is what usually happens anymore when it pops under the house sign. It almost immediately *poofs*. or in your panic you did not notice someone grab it and leave.

SteelRust

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Your Mileage may very, but that is what usually happens anymore when it pops under the house sign. It almost immediately *poofs*. or in your panic you did not notice someone grab it and leave.
Maybe because it was a whole 125 items full Container (DAMN!!! :sad2:) and it was only dropped on the floor & not L&S? Because I have seen around Items struck under House Signs in many places...

Last edited:

Alaric

Adventurer
UNLEASHED
@SteelRust I have had this happen to me, sometimes you can see the item with object handles, usually it ends up 'underneath' your house and you need to page a gm and get a response before it decays in order to get it. Ive had a couple items lost and a couple saved.

jack flash uk

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Another self inflicted story

I was redesigning a house and unlocking, moving boxes etc

I have a few boxes that are of priceless value to me. Gifts from friends, some long gone from game, and notes from players thanking me for help in game

hwn I was finished tinkering with the house I then took my long suffering wife to the cinema to watch Moon, with Sam Rockwell starring in.

just as it was about to start a thought popped into me head, the box with the Valerie hammer in from a great friend is at peril, it locked down !

i remember the conversation going something like this

i have to go, you can either come with me or I can come and pick you up. She knew that look and we left

that 10 mile journey home took a lifetime

amazingly it was still there and I snagged it and locked it down

the hammer is now proudly displayed in my house in Atl

this was way back in 2009. I have quit twice in that time but it is still with me!

SteelRust

Sage
Stratics Veteran
@SteelRust I have had this happen to me, sometimes you can see the item with object handles, usually it ends up 'underneath' your house and you need to page a gm and get a response before it decays in order to get it. Ive had a couple items lost and a couple saved.
Yup, with a calm mind I can see that this is the correct procedure, but at thet time I got taken over by panic... :eek: :p

SteelRust

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Your Mileage may very, but (...) in your panic you did not notice someone grab it and leave.
This could be, even if it is non probable, being the house in a fairly secluded zone and the BP with a full 125 Items load (Beside the Shoes there were a lot of pre-patch Hued Leather cuts... DARN!!!:sad2:). But were that case, I wish the Thief... Lucky Finder every good and to enjoy the fruit of his "Five Fingers Discount": better stolen than poofed!:D

Last edited:

John Knighthawke

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
I understand the impulse to share stories like these but at the same time I fret that we end up glorifying activity that's hurtful to the game and other players. It's a strange irony to me that the players who left the game because of this sort of behavior won't be remembered as much simply because, well, they left.

SteelRust

Sage
Stratics Veteran
I understand the impulse to share stories like these but at the same time I fret that we end up glorifying activity that's hurtful to the game and other players. It's a strange irony to me that the players who left the game because of this sort of behavior won't be remembered as much simply because, well, they left.
Yes and no, IMO.

Thieving (within the Game Rules, and outside them, with the use of some... Social Engineering between players) is and was an ingrained part of the "weft and warp" of the Lore of all the Ultima Saga & UO from the beginning, & this by Grarriot's & Co. conscious design.

The point is, as always, that there has to be "Modus in Rebus" for the things to be equilibrate (do you remember why Lord Vetinari reinstated the Thieves' Guild in Discworld?).

Unfortunately the level of public arrogant cockiness of some of the most prominent figures of the UO Thieves Scene makes it unpalatable for many. I mean: Arsenio Lupin (the FIRST! :p) was a GENTLEMEN Thief, some of the UO "public" one... well, not so much, IMO...:D;)

Last edited:

Cork

Sage
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Unfortunately the level of public arrogant cockiness of some of the most prominent figures of the UO Thieves Scene makes it unpalatable for many. I mean: Arsenio Lupin (the FIRST! :p) was a GENTLEMEN Thief, some of the UO "public" one... well, not so much, IMO...:D;)
Arrogant cockiness goes hand in hand with any PvP activities in a game. It has always been that way and always will be. That's just part of all PvP centric games.

SteelRust

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Arrogant cockiness goes hand in hand with any PvP activities in a game. It has always been that way and always will be. That's just part of all PvP centric games.
Ingame, sure: it’s part of the show.
In discussions in forum like the present one? No, in that cases it’s only gratuitous rudeness.

Cork

Sage
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I didn't say I agree with it. Even at the height of my PvP career in UO I never talked smack to anyone. To me this is just a video game and I don't take it that seriously. Some people do take this game way too seriously. Years ago I understand we were all young and stupid. Now we are a bunch of old farts playing this game and I laugh every time I have to log on to Atl to buy something and see the PvP chatter in gen chat. It's like haven't you grown up yet? lol.

Cork

Sage
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
It's been so many years that I can't remember his name anymore unfortunately. But I used to go mining along the mountain of Covetous and a PK'er would always show up, kill me, kill my beetle, then take all my ore. It got to be such a frequent occurrence that I eventually asked him where his house was and I'd just deliver a small percentage of my ore to him each time I went mining lol. He agreed and we had that deal for about a year before he disappeared from the shard.

SteelRust

Sage
Stratics Veteran
It's been so many years that I can't remember his name anymore unfortunately. But I used to go mining along the mountain of Covetous and a PK'er would always show up, kill me, kill my beetle, then take all my ore. It got to be such a frequent occurrence that I eventually asked him where his house was and I'd just deliver a small percentage of my ore to him each time I went mining lol. He agreed and we had that deal for about a year before he disappeared from the shard.
And so you introduced the concept of "Pizzo Mafioso" racket in UO... :p ;)

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
These are the best stories. The players who left because of stuff like this? Good riddance, it's just pixels. Literally junk. All of it. If you can't take a bit of a loss... well... maybe we should be playing "words with friends" or some other feel-good mobile game.

A couple years ago I forgot to lock down a chest full of my most prized possessions. I saw it as an opportunity to just go steal more stuff rather than something to be upset about. So there's my story of losing stuff... whoop de doo. I play to have a good time the stuff means nothing... especially other people's stuff.

Alaric

Adventurer
UNLEASHED
My self inflicted damage story was trusting the game to not delete my paroxymous, my sampire has randomly lost 3 of them, twice in t2a champ spawns and once in blackthorns dungeon. It almost happened for a 4th time at the new champ spawn, GM was able to locate it in 'purgatory' [his words] - and retrieve it for me before it was permanently lost this time. Seems like these pets are just cursed for me lol. [Not to alarm anyone, this is over a span of 10+ years, it is a rare occurance.]

SteelRust

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Before Tram I can't count the number of house/boat keys I stole off people then looted them dry. So much fun :)
Yup, and there was too that... "trick" in which, if one approached at the right angle another boat with his own, one could open & loot the other ship Container...:cool::p;)

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I can't really remember anyone really getting me good enough for it to stick. Sure there has been a few smaller things that were lessons learned (like back in the day when people dyed their robes/hats etc all gray or red and wrote "XX is attacking you!" in all red) but honestly that was part of the fun for me. I'd then take what I learned and use it for myself usually.

Some of the best time I can remember for UO was around 98-01 time frame when insurance wasn't a thing and even having a character with 60ish skills was usable. I was an early user of cable modem (well my parents were lol) so my connection was good. I was also one of the early adopters on ATL to create a thief with fighting skills. I'd go out to Britain graveyard, as that was a semi popular spot, and just casually walk by someone and snoop them to see what goodies they had. If I saw something good, I'd use my practice spear to target it and then head off screen for a few seconds. If I didn't see something good (and they were a mage), I'd just steal their reags (usually ginseng or garlic so they couldn't cure or heal). From there, if the item was good, I'd run off and usually hide the item off screen somewhere and go back while still grey. Like clockwork, 9 times outta 10 people would attack me thinking I was just a defenseless thief; that's when I'd equip my spear and majority of the time I'd kill the target and loot them. I was put on quite a few "kill on sight" lists back in the day which just added to the fun.

I'd collect my fair share of death robes though but I'd always res with stat loss and steal something and run off. I made several characters doing this because once my character dropped below 50 skills I'd delete them and start over. The best part of this was that I eventually made my 10 or 15th thief (I can;t really recall but I'd been doing this for quite some time at this point) and I didn't really feel like thinking of a clever name (I think I used all the "sticky fingers" type names) so I just wrote "crapchar" and rolled with it. He ended up being my most successful version and I never actually deleted him. He was my fighting thief for quite a long time (even participating in faction wars).

Phreak

Journeyman
UNLEASHED
After joining a guild 1998, we had just pooled our money together and placed a large forge where we could live together and deposit our resources. I was very excited to share this brotherhood so I set off to recruit new members. I met a nice guy who seemed very interested in joining and we spent hours hunting and exploring. I eventually invited him over to our guildhouse where during our conversation he disconnected and eventually timed out. A few days later I woke up to icqs from my guildmates about our guild house being looted. We couldnt figure out who in our group would have taken everything in the house (pre lockdown days). It turns out my new friend had bad intentions, logged back in and emptied us out.

Recently I played the devious role in New Magincia. There was a script that people were using to fill trade orders in New Mag to turn into Slim the Fence for pinks and a chance for shadow veil. I found so many characters on different shards running the script I decided to have some fun. I used my stealth archer to kill them on the docks, over and over, shard to shard every day. The scripters asked me to stop but I loved my new hobby. There was even a post in unleashed where people talked about me trolling on the docks. Eventually they made me an offer.. For 100m a week I would not kill them. I eventually took the offer and had weekly payments coming from multiple people for doing nothing at all. The new additions to the trade runs have stopped the runs, but I really enjoyed it while it lasted.

Last edited:

John Knighthawke

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
These are the best stories. The players who left because of stuff like this? Good riddance, it's just pixels. Literally junk. All of it. If you can't take a bit of a loss... well... maybe we should be playing "words with friends" or some other feel-good mobile game.

A couple years ago I forgot to lock down a chest full of my most prized possessions. I saw it as an opportunity to just go steal more stuff rather than something to be upset about. So there's my story of losing stuff... whoop de doo. I play to have a good time the stuff means nothing... especially other people's stuff.
It's obviously more than 'just pixels' to you as well or you wouldn't go through the effort to acquire others' 'pixels,' much less talk about it. Based on your other posts they are, to you, not 'just pixels' but rather are a record of your abilities to get one over on other players. Personally, I like this particular hobby and, yes, it saddens me to think of people who also liked this hobby then stopped pursuing it on account of this sort of behavior by other enthusiasts. *shrugs* I freely admit that my perspective is, here on Stratics, in the distinct minority.

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
It's obviously more than 'just pixels' to you as well or you wouldn't go through the effort to acquire others' 'pixels,' much less talk about it. Based on your other posts they are, to you, not 'just pixels' but rather are a record of your abilities to get one over on other players. Personally, I like this particular hobby and, yes, it saddens me to think of people who also liked this hobby then stopped pursuing it on account of this sort of behavior by other enthusiasts. *shrugs* I freely admit that my perspective is, here on Stratics, in the distinct minority.
Nah, it is all junk. I don't care about the pixels at all, only the other players reaction to having their junk stolen. The item itself usually ends up in the trash. I literally threw pretty much everything I had in the trash when I stopped playing. I don't understand why you let other people's lack of enjoyment and decision to quit affect your feelings. I bet you aren't sad that I quit playing. Seems to be a double standard.

Tarragon Slayer/MZB

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This must have been 1999 or 2000 latest. I was still living in Felucca and had a house on the peninsula of Vesper, near the guild's keep.

I'd met a kind person a few weeks before - or in truth, he'd met me - and he taught me my first lessons of roleplaying in UO. His character Dunn and mine, Tarragon Slayer, played that we were quite madly in love with each other, and we were in a period of sending one another love letters and romantic gifts. Consequently, there was quite a lot of silly stuff in that house.

One day, I logged in and found our house empty, with the exception of a tiny ship and a table with a book on it. The book's title was "A modest proposal" (though it had nothing to do with the original letter by that name).
The thieves who'd robbed us, had written that they'd found our door unlocked, that they'd taken the liberty of taking everything, even though most if it had hardly been worth stealing. The only thing of some value had been the little ship and this had been the only item that I'd locked down.

They ended their letter with a rhyme advising us to always lock down our stuff in the future and wishing us a happy marriage.

In other cases, I'd probably been upset, but the thieves were right that there hadn't been much of value in the house. So, when I showed the letter to Dunn, we both laughed heartily about our misfortune.

Needless to say that after this, I always took (and still take) care to diligently lock down anything in my house, no matter its value.

(PS: I don't remember if they'd locked down that book)

Last edited:

Blackie

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
All things come to an end my friend. Since we're talking about reality I see it differently. There are millions of other stories I'd like to hear too but when they shut off the servers for the final time many will be lost as people move on.

I find it's best to avoid making "rules" against discussions, especially about events happening a long time ago. No offense meant, people are just sharintg their stories.

Blackie

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Thanks to everyone sharing their, err, virtual world traumatic event stories. Though being bested in some way is infuriatng it did add a sense of danger and meaning to UO gameplay not found in many games.

Often the challenges faced were solved with the help of friends and those friendships brought ever greater achievements and good times/memories.... UO brought out the best in most.

UO managed to accomplish something that not even the biggest of social networks achieves as easily today, friendships born of the game that went on in real life.

Quick, someone tell Zuckerberg that UO > Meta!!

Mythius

Adventurer
Governor
Wow it has been so long ago. However, I would go with Brit bank. Lord back then with dial-up at first, I could just walk within the screen and all the toons and spam loading would crash me lol.

leloyon

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Back in the day I never owned a home, couldn't afford one. I stopped playing for awhile but then started playing when they introduced the house placement tool. Well, I thought houses still came on deeds. I knew nothing about the house placement tool. Anyway, I finally obtained enough gold to buy a decent 9x9 home. I can't remember how much I paid, 2mil maybe? I'm not sure. But this was back when you couldn't find any house spots to even place a house. Anyways, this guy named Sabbath on Great Lakes came up to me when I was asking about buying a house outside of brit bank. He said he'd sell me one, and I said okay. Long story short, I gave him the gold, and he gave me a deed. Only, this deed was for a house model, and not an actual house. I never saw that guy again, but I stopped playing again for awhile. At least, until Samurai Empire came out because I love Japanese folklore, ninja's and all that.

I remember going to someone's house to be guilded when guild stones were a thing, only to be ganked by like 12 guys that were hiding around the stone. A little excessive but eh, whatever made them happy I guess.

oh yeah, one of the worst things was when someone opened a gate to their "vendor house" only for the area to be filled with mobs. Titans, Ophidians, etc. It depended, because this happened more than once from more than one person.

The worst thing I've probably done was dupe hooded shrouds. Found a bug where you could dupe one by going through a moongate while holding it or something. I don't remember the details but I know it didn't last long. You could dye the robes any color you wanted to and I sold them each for 3-5mil a pop. Made a fortune. Eventually everyone started finding out about it and then the devs did, which was when they added the monk robe and changed all duped robes to monk robes. At least, they should have. I still actually own one of the dyable robes and I'm not sure how.

Last edited:

John Knighthawke

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
All things come to an end my friend. Since we're talking about reality I see it differently. There are millions of other stories I'd like to hear too but when they shut off the servers for the final time many will be lost as people move on.

I find it's best to avoid making "rules" against discussions, especially about events happening a long time ago. No offense meant, people are just sharintg their stories.
Good thing I never said, or implied, to have such a rule then.

The Zog historian

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Nah, it is all junk. I don't care about the pixels at all, only the other players reaction to having their junk stolen. The item itself usually ends up in the trash. I literally threw pretty much everything I had in the trash when I stopped playing. I don't understand why you let other people's lack of enjoyment and decision to quit affect your feelings. I bet you aren't sad that I quit playing. Seems to be a double standard.
Well isn't that peachy for you. Now if they're just pixels to you, then demonstrate it by deleting everything right now: your houses, characters, and in fact, change the passwords on your accounts and purposely lose them, so that if you ever had to return, you'd have to create new accounts and not have the advantages of vet rewards.

"They're just pixels, enjoy the game" is the tired old excuse that griefer PKs used until Trammel put them mostly out of business. These "pixels" represent time and memories to many of us. When I lumberjacked and fletched bows for four nights to buy my first house, was it "just pixels"? Was it "just pixels" when the PKs next door used UOE to PK my housemate and me, rendering the house useless in the days before changing locks? Similarly, was it "just pixels" when friends lost their tower to The Colombian (Sonoma's most infamous PK at the time, top of the bounty board, but used UOE's ghostwalk when not running in a pack). Was it "just pixels" when a friend and I recalled to her vendor, and the entire house had simply poofed?