• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Which Client and Why?

G

I got a warlock in wow who i use to run whit some times and therefor KR would be the choise, but i like and feels like 2d is easier to run.

K

Karthcove

Too much graphic detail gives me a headache.

I use 2D and always will, like the old saying goes, "Less is more".

G

I played UO 3D till they stopped it and downloaded KR but was too unstable to play at first. I still hate the 2D Macro UI as it's very hard to read and not nearly as flexible as the 3d one or KR for that matter. There are quite a few things I like in KR, but can't really play it too long because I have a VERY hard time placing things or even dropping items in it. I also dispise the constant wing flapping of creatures even tho they are standing still. I can't scroll down on some KR menus but can on some, so go figure. I have one char I play KR on (necro nox mage) and also do the Heartwood quests in it (gotta love the auto mark quest items). So it's 95% 2D and 5% KR but I'd switch back to the old 3D in a heartbeat

Shelleybean

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I still use 2d. Even though the KR client has been improved since it was first released, it's still not quite finished in my opinion. I'm willing to give it another shot after it's gone through more tweaking and bug fixes.

Breeze64

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I use 2D!!!

KR has to many window things, still buggy, laggy, items don't look right, hard to tell what somethings are, some items are to small or too big for what they are.
just not happy with KR.

G

Let's see... why I play KR:

1. Graphics
- 1a: Environment Graphics (The ground looks more natural and less tiled, the foliage looks more real and lush compared to Legacy)
- 1b: Creature models: More detail, more animation, better coloration
vs

2. Animation/Particle Effects
3. Resolution Support (UO 2d on a 22in Wide Screen is a game of miniscule proportions)
4. Zoom feature
5. Hot Bars
- 5a: Bandage Timers
- 5b: Resource Tracking
- 5c: Hot Bar "Macro Grids" such as a ship's steering grid, ore smelting grid, Nostromo key grid, etc)
- 5d: Potions on hotbars with hot keys to use them
6. Crafting Menu
- 6a: Make Max
- 6b: Make Number
- 6c: Toggle as Quest Item
7. UI customizations and enhancements
- 7a: Commas in large numbers in checks, item properties, grid container slots and vendor descriptions

- 7b: Conditional text formatting (colors to denote various thing such as low durability, high weight, artifacts, sets, high mod values
- 7c: Health percentage tracking
8. Container view choice
- 8a: Grid: Great for resource containers, keeps everything in order without needing sub-containers
- 8b: Freeform: Needs some tweaking, but there for the "purist"
- 8c: List Form: Great for shopping vendors
9. Map Enhancements
- 9a: Waypoints with custom tags
- 9b: Shows Healer locations when dead so you don't wander aimlessly in the middle of nowhere going the wrong way wondering why you can never find a healer when you need one
- 9c: Zoomable
10. Expanded character sheet showing the totals of ALL item mods worn at a given time, also each individual mod/stat can be taken off of the enhanced character sheet and placed into a horbar sho you can track specific mods/stats at a glance.

All of this WITHOUT external programs. Only UI customization is non-Dev Team created enhancements but is done INSIDE The client.

I

imported_ElRay

2d only and forever!!

KR graphics look pretty bad, except the monster models look very nice

I

imported_silent

2d for me, besides the fact that my first impression of KR was bad I've since not been able to apply the last patch. I tried deleting the files in the patch folder and no good. So I have no choice other than play 2d.

Oriana

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I chose 2d as I play it way more than KR, I like alot of features of KR but I still get nauseous when moving around and still having trouble with the chat and lag. Even doing the crafting it's so slow for me i'd rather do it in 2 d. I love the look of KR and Once It become more playable (for me) I won't have a problem with the switch. Oh and targeting is making me crazy as well. I need to sit down I know and read all the tips and tricks, but time isn't always on my side. Maybe after our move.

I

imported_Black_Magick

2D only. KR looks too much like WOW. It kills one of the few things that are unique to the game.

I

imported_Prince Erik

2D only for me. I want to use KR but it won't run very well on all three of my computers. On two of them I can hardly move at all and on the third (strangly the one with the worst specs by far) I can move better but movement is so jerky it's unplayable. I've been told by friends the only machines that run it reliably are core 2 duos or higher and the best machine I have is only a 3 GHz P4 with a crappy 256 Mb PCI video card. Until I get a new computer buit for extreme gaming (not happening anytime soon) it's 2D for me.

-P.E.

P

pacific lily

<blockquote><hr>

*giggles*

Now I would not throw rotten fruit at you or anyone if they actually enjoy using and like KR.
Course some of them folks probably eat their meals ala microwave oven all the time or fast food it, unlike some of us OLDSTERS whom still make a meal in an old school oven and prefer it.

I figure it will come down to maybe even an *age* difference those that are more *old school* UO may never really like UO KRified,..some do/will like KR more though.

I sort of look at it more like, just personal preference...and yeh I can nuke meals in microwave oven too, but just not as enjoyable for me like the *real stove* but then again I still reject Ipod and VISTA and lucky I have taken kindly to this old WIN XP and love it, and actually use cds for my music and some movies even. hehe
HECK I still have 8 tracks and cassettes.
Would prefer an older model car as opposed to some computerised new model cars...some look more like car embryos to me than a REAL CAR. haha They can KEEP THOSE TOO !

Just cuz something is newer even possibly greater, does not mean some folks HAVE TO accept it. hehe My kids wanted to get me that ipod thingie and I said wth for ? NO thanks, just get all my music on CDs for me from *albumns* cassettes and 8 tracks and I be *updated* as far as I want to be. hehe And if my XP dies doubt seriously I will buy ..........a VISTA. May wait for the BETTER model later on.

So for this old school UO-er and oldster...KR just not my cup o'tea...if some really enjoy it more power to em. If they dump 2D I would have to be one that exits. But heck I have had pretty much a full usually fun 10 great UO years, inspite of AOS, etc.... so no complaints here.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is just your personality, it has nothing to do with your age or your old-school-ness. The people i know who play KR are of all ages. I'm pushing 40 and have played KR only since beta.

The mp3/ipod format is so much more versatile than albums and CDs. You'd probably like that if you gave it a shot. Don't be afraid to try the new things before you completely write them off as being too new or new-but-not-as-good-as. The music is still the same.

lily

S

Sethblackmoore

2D for me only...but because I'm poor as heck and have the oldest computers in the known universe. I actually have hamsters running my processors on both my computers. My wife and I would love to try KR.

I

imported_Hanna

I use 2d only

Patching KR constantly crash my brand new computer, it looked terrible, everything but a few were undistinguisable. Grass was way to tall, I hated the forests, they were terrible no good contrasts, gave me gave me a headache within 20 minutes. I hated the UI, except for the bottom botton bar, but macros were too hard to make. I hated the persistent chat window on the lower left side. I hated the backpack, even using the old style backpack never worked right. I could never run, unless I made the screen much smaller and held the mouse an inch or two off screen. After the last total system crash while playing, I removed it completely from my computer.

A year after I removed it I was going to give it another shot, but after hearing the lack of improvement from most people, and that they never uppdated the download (so I would have to patch forever) I decided against bothering.

J

JoyousGard

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

KR only. I still call them blue beetles though.

[/ QUOTE ]

I miss the Purple LLamas

[/ QUOTE ]

Ev llamas are in there

I

imported_xStrikerx

2D only. The thing I hate most about KR are the player/mount/monster models. The item models are bad but not as much as the other models. Both KR and Legacy art models for items are blurry and lack detail. I'd give the KR UI a shot if a full 2D graphics option was available.

DrDolittle

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Currently 2D only.

Why? Because the KR client failed to meet my relatively simple expectations which were that I would be able to load it up, log on and play exactly as I had played with the 2D client with my 2D macros being automatically translated to and working in KR. After eight years of playing UO I am not interested in a new interface, re-writing my macros for dozens of characters so that I can use a new client or seeing the virtual world changed at a fundamental level. Further, I do not consider the KR graphics to be sufficiently superior to 2D to be worth a switch and, in several significant cases, the KR graphics are decidedly inferior to 2D.

Even though I was content with the 2D graphics, initially I was interested KR and, even though EA had failed to meet my simple expectations on every level, I tried very hard to make it work; going as far as purchasing new hardware to get half way decent performance from the KR client. Bottom line is that unless EA meets my expectations for the KR client I will continue to use the 2D client.

Now I am aware that one can customize KR to make it look and work somewhat like the 2D client and that several players have developed custom Uis ot “skins” to somewhat support that. I mean no disrespect to anyone who has worked on such a skin, and in fact I applaud your ingenuity, but I am not going to download additions from a third party.

U

_Uriah Heep_

*grins*
shame the players had to develop the skins and UI improvements...
And setting it to use legacy art and stuff, well, if ya gonna do all that, why not just play 2D? *chuckles*

It's what I do =)

G

I've found what work I've done tweaking and putting together skins to be pretty fun actually.

Also custom UIs are now a pretty standard thing in newer MMOGs, so I don't consider it a shame as we're now able to add in features we like on our end and you can customize the game to work for you.

And why use KR with classic settings when you can use 2d? Why use UOA with 2d if you want the TRUE feel of the UO client? Answer: features the basic 2d client can't give you

DrDolittle

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

And why use KR with classic settings when you can use 2d? Why use UOA with 2d if you want the TRUE feel of the UO client? Answer: features the basic 2d client can't give you

[/ QUOTE ]Well, that’s the point; I don’t use UOA!

Other than pet specific macros I have ten different plain vanilla UO macros and only use about half of those on a regular basis. So, my macro needs are pretty simple yet KR could not fill even that. And, quite frankly, I consider KR’s macro creation process to be an unintuitive kludge.

*waves back at Uriah Heep*

U

_Uriah Heep_

True on the UOA...
Never had it, so I don't really know what it will do for ya.
*shrugs*
Only add on I ever used was automap, and that mostly for sailing, since water all looks the same LOL

C

Coranthe

I like the clarity of the 2D graphics. With the recent thread here about everyone's age I'm surprised alot more of the over 40 generation hasn't chirped up about how fuzzy the KR graphics are. Trust me, older eyes need sharper images since they'll add enough fuzziness of their own. Also there's the issues with hardware support. Quality 3D can be had on most all 3D video cards put out in the last 6 years without all the problems this software has. The new macro system is a definite plus, especially to crafters, not so much to PvPers who will still use all the illegal crap.

When/if the developers ever get a real handle on the graphics I may give it another try. Improve them and improve stability (also believed to be related to the graphics hardware support) and it will get more play.

G

I voted 2d, but I do use KR on rare occasions. Such as if I have to make kegs, or I am going to try for a runic saw. But I don't do either very often.

G

2D ... KR's lack of graphical definition bothers my eyes ... a lot. It looks like everything is fuzzy. That has ALWAYS been my gripe. DAoC has sharper graphics than KR.

I have storage chests nicely arranged in 2D ... ore, tailoring materials, etc. I open any of these in KR and the arrangement is out the window ... even in grid I have to search for the ingots or whatever I need. Color definition is not good.

While improved, RAM and CPU usage is still not as optimal as 2D. My system is 5 years old now and I have no plans on upgrading it for quite some time to come ... it gets quite strained with KR, but not DAoC, Mythos or others.

Spree

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

KR only. I still call them blue beetles though.

[/ QUOTE ]

I miss the Purple LLamas

[/ QUOTE ]

Ev llamas are in there

[/ QUOTE ]

I was taliking about the Pre LBR blue beetle purple LLama not the graphics added by the $3 million baseball guy.

G

2D only.

I wanted to like KR, but I just can't.

I have a computer far above their specs and KR stutters everytime it loads mobs...not even new mobs, the same mob over and over again still causes bad stutters. It crashes, it hangs...it just isn't done yet.

Even without the technical problems, though, I wouldn't use it.

The UI is horrible. I was hoping when they said new UI it would actually be better. They needed to take some of the bad things added over the years and clean them up. They did not need to throw the whole thing out and give us something that ended up being worse. The original UI is simple, immersive, and very familiar. The KR UI...sorry. It's just not good. It may have some nice macro functions that 2D doesn't...but combine 2D with UOA and KR loses.

And the graphics...fuzzy. Fuzzy, out of scale, just plain wrong sometimes. Whle the UI might be saved if they listen to people who want the 2D UI back, I'm not sure at this stage they can fix the sub-par graphics. It's wierd...some of the new stuff looks pretty good, but most of it looks like a kid with watercolors did it. Even if they do get around to fixing all of the scale problems, z-axis errors, and messed up animations...the fuzzy aspect of the entire client would still keep me away. I have to squint to try and recognize things that have been in my house for years...it doesn't take long before that gives me a headache.

HD2300

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

And the graphics...fuzzy. Fuzzy, out of scale, just plain wrong sometimes. Whle the UI might be saved if they listen to people who want the 2D UI back, I'm not sure at this stage they can fix the sub-par graphics. It's wierd...some of the new stuff looks pretty good, but most of it looks like a kid with watercolors did it. Even if they do get around to fixing all of the scale problems, z-axis errors, and messed up animations...the fuzzy aspect of the entire client would still keep me away. I have to squint to try and recognize things that have been in my house for years...it doesn't take long before that gives me a headache.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is sad, because some of it is beautiful, like Dermott's stolen and the little lanterns in the Citadel. But the other 99% is shocking. Whoever was in charge of Quality Control totally let the team down. As soon as the first graphics came in, they should have been rejected and sent back for redesign. Thats why the adoption % is so low, because is it looks substandard, and because the adoption % is so low, it is hard to justify putting in many man years to redo all the graphics.

F

Fayled Dhreams

I was taliking about the Pre LBR blue beetle purple llama not the graphics added by the $3 million baseball guy.

these ones? (seen at the current event also ... btw)

March 30, 2007

"Will Kingdom Reborn still have the occasional Energy Llama?"
Oh, ye of little faith...

The Energy Llama Reborn

DrDolittle

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
For a client that was pretty much hanging it’s hat on better graphics KR seems to leave a lot to be desired in the graphics department.

For example, one of the odd things about KR is that your character does not sit your mount properly. When KR was first “released” I took this screen shot showing my character’s left leg sticking through my nightmare. I just checked and, after at least nine months, this has still not been fixed.

G

When they first mentioned KR, and especially the particle effects, I was expecting the graphics to be similar to the game Nox, an isometric view PC game developed by Westwood Studios, with (for its time - 2000) impressive particle effects. EA owns the rights to Nox, so I was hoping for something similar in the way of updates for UO. Terrain is clear in Nox and item art is sharp and detailed, and paperdolls are decent. These are not the greatest screenies, but they give the idea. I think the overall look and feel of Nox would have meshed nicely with the UO lore.

I'd have been really happy with a graphics "overhaul" similar to this.

-Skylark

G

<blockquote><hr>

When they first mentioned KR, and especially the particle effects, I was expecting the graphics to be similar to the game Nox, an isometric view PC game developed by Westwood Studios, with (for its time - 2000) impressive particle effects. EA owns the rights to Nox, so I was hoping for something similar in the way of updates for UO. Terrain is clear in Nox and item art is sharp and detailed, and paperdolls are decent. These are not the greatest screenies, but they give the idea. I think the overall look and feel of Nox would have meshed nicely with the UO lore.

-Skylark

[/ QUOTE ]

when it comes to things like this, it was the graphics designer that is to blame. I think he got fired, but uh don't quote me on that.

HD2300

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

-Skylark

[/ QUOTE ]

when it comes to things like this, it was the graphics designer that is to blame. I think he got fired, but uh don't quote me on that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would argue that it isnt the graphics designers fault. It is whoever is in charge of Quality Control or the project manager. If the first time the designer submits graphics that are below-par and it is accepted as is, then for the rest of the project you will get graphics of the same below-par quality.

O

olduofan

I just tried KR again it is so buggy and glitches and the new music really sux

every time i try it i just want to scream and break things it is so frustrating

my charter will start to walk extremly slow then shoots across the screen so I have to go back and forth to try to get where im going to really buggy to me.

the dungeons such as destart looks horrible and the music drives me nuts.

if they could put legacy music and item detail (art) it would look so much better
KR is so washed, smeared, blurb it suxs bad

and the interface is a nightmare

the only thing I like about KR is the terrain, special effects and hot bars the rest really needs alot of work.

I thought they said the NEW CLIENT would be so much easier for them to work on because it is up to date? so why so many problems and why can't they add legacy art to to items on the ground and lock downs? (the torches and braziers look good tho and a few other things but most looks like a really bad cartoon)

I hope one day they get it running smooth and looking like UO.....

O

olduofan

if KR looked like that it would be so much better, that castle looks really good

G

I just tried KR again it is so buggy and glitches and the new music really sux

every time i try it i just want to scream and break things it is so frustrating

my charter will start to walk extremly slow then shoots across the screen so I have to go back and forth to try to get where im going to really buggy to me.

DO you mind hopping over to the KR forum and posting your system specs? We may be able to help.

G

If I can't figure something out, there are quite a few good tech heads that can take your specs and tell you what you can do to help out the quality of the game.

We'll need to know your system, RAM, Video card, OS, and so on... any and all system data is useful.

I

imported_dexdash

2d- pvp familularity and less bugy and i hate the new backpacks

P

pacific lily

<blockquote><hr>

Have you checked since Janaury's HUGE animation fix patch?

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course they haven't. It's pretty clear at this point that there are players who just WILL NOT switch to KR, no matter how good anyone else thinks it is. They don't play KR but come and list all the things that were wrong with it in the 8 minutes they had it running ANYTIME anyone asks or does some ridiculous poll about what client everyone is playing.

lily

I

imported_xStrikerx

Those graphics look great. Not sure why they couldnt do something like that instead.

G

Of course they haven't. It's pretty clear at this point that there are players who just WILL NOT switch to KR, no matter how good anyone else thinks it is. They don't play KR but come and list all the things that were wrong with it in the 8 minutes they had it running ANYTIME anyone asks or does some ridiculous poll about what client everyone is playing.

I don't have any problems with people listing what problems they have with KR, I just want to make sure that they're listing problems that are still actual issues and not issues that were patched MONTHS AGO.

Technical/system spec issues can be worked with if people will post their system specs in the KR forum so we can look at them and suggest tweaks and downloads for drivers and enhancements.

Of course the only thing we CAN'T help are those who refuse to use the client wholesale (even if they could run it)... for them there IS no help.

I'm helping someone right now (off these boards) who wants to be able to run KR... hopefully soon we'll see some results!

I

imported_Gwendar-SP

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

lily

[/ QUOTE ]

My version has the latest patches. It is still ugly. I logged on today to upgrade the access of another of my characters and the house list was too long to find him. Thank god I have 2d.

I

imported_silent

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

lily

[/ QUOTE ]

What is apparent is for how few people EA is wasting countless development hours that could be spent elsewhere. If they turned the old 3d client back on and left 2d running in the end it would probably only cause 3 people to quit due to losing the KR client.

O

olduofan

in all fairness, I did try the new patches to-nite and still can't seem to get it to run smoothly on my comp L/P

I try to keep a open mind about every thing and not be a hypocrite.

I am more then willing to sacrifice to help the UO community out for the better.

I do not like most of KR and I still try to get it to work.

I also see the potential of KR they just need to make a lot of changes both game play and graphics

I am also very confused as to why they can not seem to get it run properly when so many other on line games can (was it a bad choice in a client/3d engine?)

I have nothing but high hopes for KR, but as of know I can't play it nor do I like its graphics and new music (which can very easily be fixed to get everyone on board)

EDIT

also you mite want to try Dermott of LS ; NMA approach to gaining more KR players (don't slam them try to fix/change what they are having problems with in other words try to be a little more friendly and positive)

Picus of Napa

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
2D.

Its fast and always works. I'm use to it, for all these years of playing its the only client I have used and will use. I play UO, which was around in 97, so its clear that eye candy is not the draw of this game to me, I'd like to think its the pure quality of the game and the gamers that make it not some "update".

Edited to reflect that I have a closed mind and like it that way.