• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

(OT) What's your current top 5 of favorite music records?

LeBaiton

New Player Protector
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hey everyone :)

We had a thread like this in 2001 or 2002 or something, and I remember it being very interresting to see everyone's musical taste back then. So I thought it might be a fun idea to see what our musical taste is like now :)

I'll start this off! (some old board members might recognize some of the names as familiar, that is, if they remember the old thread :D)

#5: Marina and the Diamonds - The Family Jewels

I checked out the full record after seeing the video for the song "Hollywood". Lots of the songs are quite poppy, and that's normally not really the genre I'd go for, but this one surprised me.

#4: Original Motion Picture Soundtrack: The Shawshank Redemption, music by Thomas Newman

I just love Thomas Newman's work, and this soundtrack album is really haunting with its piano and strings. The opera track and 1930/1950 songs add perfectly to Thomas's songs. This is an album which I can put on and loop from start to finish over and over again, especially during UO sessions.

#3: Muse - Origin of Symmetry

Old album, but I still regulary put this one up. If I had to choose between Muse albums, it would be a hard choice between this one and Black Holes and Revelations. I picked this one though because I liked to play BH&R a lot during EVE online sessions and OoS during UO sessions. As you might know, I don't play EVE anymore ;)

#2: 30 Seconds To Mars - A Beautiful Lie

I liked the song "From Yesterday", so I gave the whole album a listen and was immediately sold. An amazing vocal range and an even more amazing drummer! And extra kuddos for covering Björk ;)

#1: Nirvana - Nevermind

I still play this one one every single day while on my way home from work. Even though Kurt said this was their worst album, I can't help but love the lyrics, the rawness and the - sometimes insane - drum skills on display by Dave Grohl. I just have to sing along to every single song... sorry Kurt :)

T

Trevelyan

Going by ALBUM, then I guess the best ones that I would say I have bought are (not counting huge compilation setsm EG 80s or GTA soundtracks):

- Memento OST
- The Fame Monster - Lady GaGa
- Laundry Service - Shakira
- Halo 1 OST
- Scenes from a Memory - Dream Theatre

Though there are plenty of singles and individual tracks I have that aren't a part of any album (which I originally put), I would say that these are my top 5 because they have so much on each that I like overall. Shakira albums are hard, as I like lots of her stuff. Argueably I like more heavy metal than any of these, but there are never enough songs on any one album that makes me think I couldn't get it on a compilation disc.

Maybe the Scorpions - Love at First Sting, though Madrid put that before I edited this post :D

B

Ben Sherman

Couldnt possibley name my top 5 albums, would take me years of umming and ahing... but amongst the contenders would definatley be:

AC/DC - Black Ice
Love this album, altho its the most recent its "classic" AC/DC right the way through, with some really bluesy riffs.

Guns n Roses - Appetite for Destruction
Arguabley the greatest album of all time :D

Iron Maiden - Number of the Beast
Another timeless classic.

Skunk Anansie - Stoosh
Just one of those albums, loved it when it released, love it still.

Alanis Morisette - Jagged Little Pill
Not usually my thing, but Iv'e always loved this album.

Madrid

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Very difficult if not impossible to name the top 5 but if I was in solitary confinement for a year and had to take one Album it would be:

Scorpions - Love at First Sting. My favorite album of all time.

Close runners up would be:
AC-DC - Highway to Hell
Iron Maiden - Somewhere in Time
Black Sabbath - Heaven & Hell
Ozzy Ossbourne - Diary Of a Madman
Metallica - Kill Em' All

Long Live Rock N' Roll!:party:

Garm The Green

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
opeth - morningrise
ulver - bergtatt
bjork - homogenic
deftones - white pony
the future sound of london - lifeforms

These are the all times, though currently?

Wolfmother - Wolfmother
Late of the pier - Fantasy Black Channel
Team sleep - team sleep
The Distillers - The Distillers
Rodrigo y gabriela - Rodrigo y gabriela

Let's see some more :p

Cailleach

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh my, only five? I couldn't possibly survive with just five. What a terrible thought! There's far too much wonderful music out there to only pick five.

Raising sand - Alison Krauss & Robert Plant
Master of Puppets - Metallica
Bagrock to the masses - Red Hot Chilli Pipers
Wish you were here - Pink Floyd
Peat Fire Flame - The Corries

Yes, I know, I have strange music tastes! There's no classical or jazz in there, which is a pity, but no more space. It's entirely possible, through the course of a day, for me to listen to Mozart AND Metallica, and run through a fair few bits and pieces in between :p