• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

What originally attaracted you to UO ?

G

Like the title say what started your addiction

For me my lil bro was playing beta and i started playing too been here every since.

X

xxEvolusxx

Someone told me about it. I started playing. I've played off and on for about a year or so now. I've only GM'd 2 skills on my 3 characters. haha

I'm a slacker, but I enjoy exploring.

I like the game as a whole, but I needed a break. Once KR gets going then I'll be back at it again!

I

imported_Coldren

It was a graphical MUD. With GOOD graphics and an isometric views. You could roleplay and LOOK the part.

The world was huge, almost anything was possible.

I was hooked.

G

Ultima 9 wasn't out yet, so I settled. Ironically, I got so wrapped up in UO that I never bothered playing U9.

P

Piper Everwood

A friend brought me to uo becasue i was very bored with diablo and was looking for something new. What drew me in was all the different things u could do with the game and the social end (rp) was a huge draw for me. U could go hunting, work crafts, build homes yet there was still a social end to it. There were parties and balls and weddings. Now i see uo has lost alot of the "social" end of the game. And doing shard wide things are a thing of the past because of "clicks", pvp, this guild hates that guild, ect. Thu no matter what i love uo and will never leave. (unless uo ends). I guess u could say I got addicted to uo lol.

A

Al Thorin

My wife, then girlfriend, wanted me to play it with her and her friends.
I was attacked and killed within 5 min by one of the loony guild members, then I killed him later in the day (the account was given to me), though we suspect he was being nice

Since then, outside of occasional breaks when the wifes pregnant, We've been playing solid.

G

Simple
A characture I could develop.
Walk out to a land with danger.
Spent most of my time and the UNDEAD CITY.
Collecting gold. PVMING AND PVPING at the same time.

It was fun.

J

Jason619

Heard about it in the late 90s, but I was in highschool at the time and my parents wouldn't pay for the sub. Saw the 7th ann box and started thinking about it and then saw there was a "FREE INGAME ITEM" and I was sold. Within 5 minutes of arriving, my free item(sam helm) was bought from me for 10k, I didn't really care though.

I

imported_Coldren

<blockquote><hr>

Ultima 9 wasn't out yet, so I settled. Ironically, I got so wrapped up in UO that I never bothered playing U9.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahh.. UO IX. I actually bought that game.. When I could get it to RUN, it was pretty darn good. Too bad they couldn't fix the major issues the game had.

What I wouldn't give for that to be re-released with WinXP, and have a bunch of the bugs hacked out..

Good times. Noodle Salad.

I

imported_Coldren

<blockquote><hr>

Since then, outside of occasional breaks when the wifes pregnant, We've been playing solid.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like a GREAT UO bumper sticker:

UO: I break for Babiez.

G

The incredible ability to communicate with people all over the world and have fun doing it.

D

dsnchanted395

Well its all my oldest godsons fault. At the time he was 14 and him and his family had just moved in across the street from me. I played a lot of end game type things... Fallout, Duke Nuke Em and DIABLO, that sort of thing. And his mom goes I bet Jess would like Ultima. So he came over and installed it on my comp and I made a char on his acct. I was hooked. A week later when he deleted her and I had already gmd a few skills I went and bought AOS. 10 accounts, a few breaks, fits of rage and despair, leaving my husband twice
, oh and finally meeting the man of my dreams whom i met ingame later I'm still hooked.

Frarc

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I could be what ever i wanted to be. A knight in shiny armor or a diabolic daemon.

Played the other Ultima games so UO sounded great to step in the shoes of the Avatar and be Virtuous.

Sneaky Que

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Saw it at a mates place late '97, liked the freedom of the game, the community (remember this was pre-Ren when there still was a community), the intense PvP, just the whole thing really. I was given t2a the next year as a birthday prezzie and havn't looked back since :p

I

imported_Coldren

<blockquote><hr>

Girls.

[/ QUOTE ]

Real girls, or virtual ones?

Frarc

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

Girls.

[/ QUOTE ]

Real girls, or virtual ones?

[/ QUOTE ]

Virtual ones of course..... we can pull the plug on them if we feel like it!

Just kidding !

Oriana

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My husband's coworker introduced him. They had a gaming party one day after work and let him play on one of their accts (which we later adopted). He loved it, convinced me to go buy a copy and started his own acct. I watched over his shoulder then started a char of my own. 2 months later We were both throughly hooked i had to have my own acct!! and that lead to 1 more then adopted 2 more then adopted another then started 2 more in the past year. Over the last 7 years we've grown to our current 8 accts. Our daughters now play and one of the adopted accts is being held for a friend in hopes he'll return. We have totally loved our UO time together and hope to continue for a long time.

I

imported_Sarphus

Freshman year of college a friend of mine got me into it. He had been trying to get into beta (unsuccessfully) and had the game the day it was released. He let me make a miner on his account and I was hooked. I had a blast mining up metal and making cool looking armor for myself. I didn't care that my character didn't need armor (miner/smithy). I just liked that I could make it.

Eventually I advanced into making an actual combat character, but I didn't understand how combat skills worked. I thought war forks were better than maces because I had a war fork for a long time and had about 50 or 60 fencing, but only had about 10 maces. I was like "wow... these things are junk" cause I'd get my butt kicked. Eventually, my combat character evolved into a lockpicker and I would pick treasure chests and sell the armor I got from them to npcs in town. Eventually my char became a pk... with lockpicking and hiding on him. That char never really was that good of a pk lol

The thing that has always attracted me to UO is the game depth and immersion. There isn't another game like it on the market today and I have serious doubts that any game will ever surpass it. I wouldn't know if there was, though... I'll be in this game till it dies.

G

It was 2 female friends of mine who introduced me to the game.
Why, what did you think I meant?!

U

uo_kaladin

<blockquote><hr>

For me my lil bro was playing beta and i started playing too been here every since.

[/ QUOTE ]

I initially saw the game at a gamestore at the mall. The salesperson warned me that the only way I could get a refund was to send it to the manufaturer directly. I gave it a try and kept on getting my butt kicked by pkers. In the end, I think I keep on coming back to the game to avenge my early frustrations.

But, I'm glad the pkers have to stay in felucca to be honest. I remember being on the phone line with an american customer service rep and asking them if they could give me something to help me against all the pkers. I got my younger brothers invovled but they inevitably ended up getting pked and losing everything. They would be crying (they were under the age of 10) and coming to me telling me they would never play the game again.

G

A 'friend' got me to buy/play the game in 98. I blame him for the years I've spent!

I first created a crafter/shore fisherman in Trinsic. Then he had this idea to walk from Trinsic to a city called Britian so ofcouse I follow. While walking I see an eagle and I think 'hey, I could use some feathers to make arrows!' So I proceed to attack it... with a combatless-clothes wearing-crafter... well after some details I refuse to remember I see the grey version of UO. Now being a good friend he picks up the items from my corpse to give to me when we find a healer. Little did we realize, at the time, that action caused him to go grey and ofcourse we meet a couple of valient warriors along the way... so in the end we both had a nice little walk on the grey side of things.

He jumps from game to game. I've tried other games all while keeping my UO accts open, but I always found myself coming back to UO when the new fad wears off.

I

imported_Coldren

<blockquote><hr>

It was 2 female friends of mine who introduced me to the game.
Why, what did you think I meant?!

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha! I can almost see the expression on your face.

U

uo_kaladin

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

I initially saw the game at a gamestore at the mall. The salesperson warned me that the only way I could get a refund was to send it to the manufaturer directly. I gave it a try and kept on getting my butt kicked by pkers. In the end, I think I keep on coming back to the game to avenge my early frustrations.

But, I'm glad the pkers have to stay in felucca to be honest. I remember being on the phone line with an american customer service rep and asking them if they could give me something to help me against all the pkers. I got my younger brothers invovled but they inevitably ended up getting pked and losing everything. They would be crying (they were under the age of 10) and coming to me telling me they would never play the game again.

[/ QUOTE ]

To put the frustration of the early game into perspective... I've spent at least $20,000 on the game since that time. Now that I'm married, I probably don't spend more than $50 a month on gold or items. I paid 250 dollars for one of the first frostbringers and another 200 for one of the first totems with the hit increase. I probably paid 1k on some of the mage arties. I paid $1500 on houses. I paid $200 for my first +25 stat scrolls. I purchased it on Pacific. I could never complete a spawn on pacific with my guild because we all got pked. The only way to get a stat scroll was to pay the 200 bucks. I got my other stat scrolls on catskills and transferred them over to pacific when the transfers went into effect. I've spent a ton of skill scrolls. I've spent a lot on runic kits and a lot of money on gold. My brother plays basketball professionally so I just asked him for the 20k to repay the debts. It wasn't a big deal. I spent another 1k on purchasing BOD accounts. At one point I had 12 BOD accounts most of them purchased. I spent 2k on accounts. I just liked stripping them and then deleted the characters after a few months.

Actually, I've probably spent more like $30,000 on Ultima Online and another $10,000 on World of Warcraft. I don't play WoW anymore since my wife says she'll divorce me if I ever play that game.

I paid 250 for one of the first frostbringers because I kept on getting my butt kicked with summoned mobs from necromancers. I probably only used it one time in that capacity and it didn't work... rofl. I've always played an archer in UO. It's was sick to see so many people switch over to archers when ML came out just because it was powerful. I guess I'm one of those people who plays a class because it's fun not because it's just "the most powerful."

I

imported_Coldren

<blockquote><hr>

To put the frustration of the early game into perspective... I've spent at least $20,000 on the game since that time. Now that I'm married, I probably don't spend more than $50 a month on gold or items. I paid 200 dollars for one of the first frostbringers and another 200 for one of the first totems with the hit increase. I probably paid 1k on some of the mage arties. I paid $1500 on houses. I paid $200 for my first +25 stat scrolls. I purchased it on Pacific. I could never complete a spawn on pacific with my guild because we all got pked. The only way to get a stat scroll was to pay the 200 bucks. I got my other stat scrolls on catskills and transferred them over to pacific when the transfers went into effect. I've spent a ton of skill scrolls. I've spent a lot on runic kits and a lot of money on gold. My brother plays basketball professionally so I just asked him for the 20k to repay the debts. It wasn't a big deal. I spent another 1k on purchasing BOD accounts. At one point I had 12 BOD accounts most of them purchased. I spent 2k on accounts. I just liked stripping them and then deleted the characters after a few months.

Actually, I've probably spent more like $30,000 on Ultima Online and another $10,000 on World of Warcraft. I don't play WoW anymore since my wife says she'll divorce me if I ever play that game.

[/ QUOTE ]

SWEET JUMPIN' JOSEPHAT, MAN!

You gotta be doing SOMETHING right to have that kind of expendable income.

As someone who's never bought gold or items for a game, do you think your investments were worth it now? Or are you feeling buyers guilt? I've been considering some UO codes for soulstones or a charger since I missed the SE launch, and it's something I'd never be able to afford in game, but money's tight. I'd be interested in hearing what you have to say about it.

G

My oldest son, I think he was 17 years or so. He came home with the game, he was started playing on a friends Internet.
He wanted to play home, but only my computer had access to the internet and only way he could get access to it was if he could make me play too. Clever boy, he knew that so he told me to try and made a char to me. It did not take long before I was sold and the first years was a blast.

I learned about Wingate (I think that was the name of the program) that could share the Internet so he could play from his own PC but we still had to take turns so after a few months, we did get an account more.

We still both had our main char on the first account but he later started to play his char on second account and I now own the first account with the original Freja on it.

U

uo_kaladin

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

To put the frustration of the early game into perspective... I've spent at least $20,000 on the game since that time. Now that I'm married, I probably don't spend more than $50 a month on gold or items. I paid 200 dollars for one of the first frostbringers and another 200 for one of the first totems with the hit increase. I probably paid 1k on some of the mage arties. I paid $1500 on houses. I paid $200 for my first +25 stat scrolls. I purchased it on Pacific. I could never complete a spawn on pacific with my guild because we all got pked. The only way to get a stat scroll was to pay the 200 bucks. I got my other stat scrolls on catskills and transferred them over to pacific when the transfers went into effect. I've spent a ton of skill scrolls. I've spent a lot on runic kits and a lot of money on gold. My brother plays basketball professionally so I just asked him for the 20k to repay the debts. It wasn't a big deal. I spent another 1k on purchasing BOD accounts. At one point I had 12 BOD accounts most of them purchased. I spent 2k on accounts. I just liked stripping them and then deleted the characters after a few months.

[/ QUOTE ]

SWEET JUMPIN' JOSEPHAT, MAN!

You gotta be doing SOMETHING right to have that kind of expendable income.

As someone who's never bought gold or items for a game, do you think your investments were worth it now? Or are you feeling buyers guilt? I've been considering some UO codes for soulstones or a chargersince I missed the SE launch, but money's tight. I'd be interested in hearing what you have to say abou tit.

[/ QUOTE ]

It was never an "investment." It was about having fun. I never expect to recoup any of the money I put into the game. If you had a brother making millions of dollars a year asking for 20k is like a drop in the bucket.

I

imported_Coldren

<blockquote><hr>

It was never an "investment." It was about having fun. I never expect to recoup any of the money I put into the game. If you had a brother making millions of dollars a year asking for 20k is like a drop in the bucket.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry I didn't make it clear, but by investment, I mean, do you think that the money you spent was worth it for the fun it brought you? Do you think that money would have been better spent on something else, or it will be in the future?

I'm not talking about recouping money, just if the experience was worth the capital.

And that's a good brother to have :p

I

imported_Tina Small

I had been playing The Sims Online for a couple of months and was very very bored with it but didn't like the looks of most of the other online games I saw. One day found a copy of the Samurai Empire edition of UO in the games section of the computer/office supply store and decided to buy it based on three things I read on the box: (1) the medieval theme; (2) the ability to make/roleplay non-fighting characters; and (3) the ability to own/design a house.

Went home and installed the game. Studied the shard list for a long time and finally decided Great Lakes sounded the closest and made my first character, a mage. Blundered my way through the starting newbie character quest for mages and wandered around Haven a few minutes and began to have some doubts about the game. Decided to give it another try and made a blacksmith. Did slightly better with the starting quest and eventually made my way to Minoc and a week later (or so it seemed) figured out how the heck to get back to Haven to finish that quest. Lost young status not long after getting back to Haven (I think I bought training in way too many skills) and was about to give up playing because I felt so clueless about everything.

A very kind soul must have seen me endlessly wandering around, studying the discarded items by the bank, and took pity on me. He helped me out with a horse and a blue beetle, made me a set of beautiful violet clothes that I still have today, and showed me a safe place to mine. Took me under his wing for a while as I got started and then again a few months later. By that time, I was absolutely hooked and had made friends with a few more folks who knew a bit more about UO than I did. They were recent returnees and we had a good time building up our characters. I will never forget the marathon mining sessions and our competitions to see who in the guild could first GM tailoring and smithing. I also will never forget a guildmate letting me take some swings at him with my newbie lumberjack and standing watch over me after he convinced me to try lumberjacking in Fel. And a few months later, trying out my first tamer character and having an incredibly patient friend take me out daily to work on her. Such simple stuff, but oh what wonderful memories it gave me!

I've glanced at a couple of other online games but haven't seen any yet that I have any interest in trying. Is it because they just can't match UO, or is it because of a huge unwillingness on my part to walk away from the memories and the friends I've made in UO? I'm not sure I'll ever know.

I

imported_wrekognize

I saw an ad (which we never see anymore) in PC Gamer. UO was still in beta, so I had to wait for the official release. I was working through the lag to build my skill within the first week of UOs release. I have tried other MMOs, and nothing compares. I'm here to stay.

BajaElladan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hail Friends,

Friends with whom I played Dungeon's &amp; Dragon's discovered Ultima Online (several of them had played the Ultima series pc games) and mentioned it to me. I had loved Betrayal &amp; Return to Krondor and Diablo but I had never played an online game with other players.

I bought Ultima Online (fall of 1997), spread out my cloth map of Sosaria/Britannia and created my first character. Jason Hammersmith was a Paladin, one who earned his way mining ore from mountains southwest of Britain on the Atlantic shard. And tho I created characters on several shards near my hometown in Ohio, I met a new friend in game who invited me to create a character on Baja. Seems this Glorious Lord had need of a "squire" to carry his sword, shine his armor, and hold his mare while he dined &amp; slept at local Inns.

Elladan, a half-elf who also mined ore and trained with mace &amp; shield was born upon Baja. Sadly over the years, most of my D&amp;D and UO friends from the early days moved to other towns, met &amp; wed wives, and are now raising families of their own, and they left me behind to defend Britannia alone.

Elladan was followed by many other characters, many various skill sets, and in time even many other accounts. Several years later, UO would catch up with my creativity and imagination, and add "paladin templated" characters and even elves to my beloved Britannia.

The earliest days were a struggle to even survive. Dial up modems, slow connection speeds, lag and other factors combined with thieves &amp; murderers to limit my travels to Major towns and guard zones. Travel between towns, usually on foot initially, later by horse, was undertaken only AFTER depositing all my valuables in the local bank. Magically, the bankers would cast "travel" spells upon my valuables and they would always arrive at my destination before me, usually cleaned &amp; pressed, while I was usually pale, grey, and dead when I arrived at my next town.

Finally, after a few years, I was able to scrape together enough gold to buy &amp; place a small (7x7 I think) one room cottage, which finally made me King in my own "castle."

Just as I was about ready to quit UO, I obtained access to cable internet connections, and UO added Trammel. Finally, I was freed from the thieves &amp; murderers. I could now enjoy my beloved Britannia to its fullest, on MY terms.

The rest, 126 months later, they say, is History. Those like me who love this virtual world &amp; are not unduly hampered by demands of the "real world," have continued to play UO for almost a decade or more.

While I admit &amp; agree that UO has had both "ups &amp; downs" during its decade plus run, it is both my hope and desire that its BEST days are still ahead.

If so, I shall rejoice and enjoy them. If not, I shall enjoy this beloved and amazing virtual world for however long it, and I, last.

I enjoy my warriors, my Paladins, my Mages, my Tamers, my Beggar, my Crafters, Cook, Sailors, Archers, and oh so many others, and still have skills I have not yet even explored but one day expect to. I enjoy Trammel, Malas, the Lost Lands, Tokuno, Ilshenar and our many waters and Islands, all of our Dungeons AND dragons (hehe).

Felucca, I left behind and never looked back. I am aware some enjoy Felucca, I will never understand it, but I am aware of it. For me, I know only that Ultima Online has a seemingly infinite supply of "wonder, magic, fun &amp; awe," and though I hope I am never left as our last &amp; lone Ranger, I think even then I'd have fun. Until then, I shall seek out and enjoy as many others as I am able to find.

I guess as another poster said, "I became addicted to UO." I am certain there are much worse things one may become addicted to.

Elladan of Baja aka many, many, others

G

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

You didn't miss much U9 was a catastrophe loaded with bugs and plot holes you could hardly call it Ultima.

I started playing UO because I was a die hard Ultima fan long long before UO was even a thought. I had been playing Ultima 8 over and over for a while when I heard that UO was going to be released so when it hit store shelves I ran out and got a copy and have been playing ever since.

the 4th man

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
When Motor City Online was going belly-up, EA offered a freebie, Ultima or Sims.....I opted for UO and left MCO, my garage of 25 cars, and some good friends....whatever happened to CR Clan.....she went to chesapeake I think, or was it cats......say hi if you're still around CR.....

I

imported_Nestorius

You could live in the Brittania of the Ultima series with millions of other players, you could choose your playstyle whether it be a crafter, warrior or mage, and even fight other players. The freedom of a MUD combined with graphics.

G

My best friend told me about the game back in Feb 1998. 10 years for me (I just realized that). I was always a big fan of the Ultima franchise. I'll admit though. I had no idea what I was getting into when I first started playing the game.

I remember running from Britain to Trinsic along the roadway and encountering, "The Dread Lord R.I.P. Grandmaster Archer". Back then, I heard about Player Killers and that kind of stuff. My friends got owned quite a bit in those days. Needless to say, the adrenalin was pumping when I ran by that archer. He did a gesture which I discovered later was the bowing emote and left me be. That was a fortunate day for me to be sure.

I remember getting my house key stolen and getting it back several days later in my home chest. I remember killing another red player with a provoked grizzly bear. I admit that was funny at the time.

I remember all the posts on the Mage Tower board with Ibn Shaun, Skerrit, Rainman, Wieland, Tiffric, and the Atlantic Mage Tower. Hopefully I spelled all their names correctly. It's been a long time...

I remember posting as Khalil Rashad, the follower of Ibn Shaun, and Rainman thought I was actually Ibn Shaun incognito. Those were fun times. I remember Lord Luker and how a lot of players back then either loved or hated what he stood for.

Sorry for rambling. Your post brought back a lot of memories for me.

It is all of this that got me addicted to UO and its community.

D

Dank

I had become very bored with Diablo and Delta Force and my Wife was pregnant with our first child. Some one told me about UO and how addictive it was and how much time one could spend playing. As I had the night shift with my son who woke about every two hours for food and promptly fell back asleep, UO made a great compannion to pass two hour intervals. LOL he is five and i'm still here practiced same technique with second child who is now 2.

G

well i started 6 years ago.
someone showed it to me and i liked the fact it had a large community.
i liked to roleplay back then and this was the game for that.

I

imported_Prince Erik

I used to play an online space fighter game called "Subspace" and several members of the squad I was in played UO and kept trying to get me to play. I finally gave in when Subspace shut down its servers for good. To be honest, I hated it since I kept getting pk'ed all the time. I stuck around because of those friends. Most of them felt like I did and hated getting pk'ed so they left for EQ when it came out and never came back. My computer wouldn't run EQ (I used to play off the CD, lol) so I stayed in UO and tried to make new friends. I got used to the never ending dirt naps for the most part but was about to quit when Trammel opened. After that the explorer bug got me and I couldn't wait to go to all the places that me and my friends never dared to go (I had played from the T2A launch until Trammel with only seeing the inside of a dungeon twice for example). I stayed because then I could see how much fun the game actually was .. well, see it in color anyhow.

-P.E.

G

I saw the Poster in the window at a game store. The clerk was playing it, and said as long as there is not another, "Total Wipe", that happened shortly after it came out, that it was a good game to buy.

My PC did not meet all the Min. Specs, so i could play with my 14.4 modem, in hawaii, but i was Sooooooooo Slow. Not hardly any free space left, Mgz maxed out, and not enopugh memory. So I became a Macer.

Theo_GL

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Most of you UO beta folks will hate this but...

I had recently watched LoTR... I used to play D&amp;D when I was young... I loved the Diablo games and had a great time playing with friends... And AOS had just come out and I saw it on the shelf at the store and I tried it out.

For all the graphics haters - I really don't mind the UO graphics and personally I like the perspective that UO is shown in - I just don't like the archaic interface and the sloppy coding of late. It used to be much better with more timely patches/fixes. The past 2 years have been a nightmare. I keep hanging on hoping for better b/c I have alot of time/knowledge invested in this game and don't want to relearn another game.

When I leave UO it won't be for another game. It will be because I've given up on UO ever turning around. That point is closer than its ever been.

There is nothing new to explore. I have too much crap. I actually don't want to hunt because I'm afraid I'll see an item that I need to store and I have no need for gold. The only thing I leave my house for is to help a guildmate or to hunt resources to try to catch up on bods.

I have been waiting for 2 months for bod changes now but that is wearing thin. PvP doesn't interest me. I've spent time around the PvP areas and I feel like a recess monitor at a grade school. Its alot of bickering, name calling and rudeness that doesn't seem the least bit fun.

People say 'ah, go start on a new shard'. I've done that 3 times. I have built out characters on 3-4 shards and now I have too much junk on those shards too.

I have very little left to acquire or accomplish and EA hasn't provided anything new in months.

The magencia invasion was pointless cause you couldn't save it anyways. Now I have 900 rubble pieces and 50 staffs/kryss's I don't know what to do with and there is no storyline to follow it up.

They have killed the decent places to hunt (Blood loot got nerfed hard, swoops unkillable, you can't use bags of sending), they killed mining/lumberjacking, crafting is pretty much dead unless they bring in Wilki's changes and it still has at least 25 bugs I could rattle off right now.... There just isn't anything to do. If it weren't for a new player that recently joined our guild - I likely wouldn't log in at all anymore. I get on to help him and try to resist just giving him everything he needs to ruin his gaming experience.

The most fun I've had is when I was with a group of people with something to accomplish. UO has very little things to 'accomplish'. Esp as you age in game - you look around going - what now?

Potgut

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My best friend got uo when the game came out, I watched him play alot and he let me create my own character on his account to play on his computer when he would fall asleep after playing too much. I didn't have a good enough computer or internet to run the game at the time so i couldn't buy it. When my friend let me play, because of the limited time i could spend playing on his computer, instead of skilling my characters I just spend the time running around the towns handing people cooked chickens and randomly attacking people during server down wars.

I

imported_Coldren

<blockquote><hr>

..you look around going - what now?

[/ QUOTE ]

Tisk tisk, friend. Personally, I could never run out of things to do..

But it sounds like you're looking for ideas. Would you like a challange?

Your challange, should you accept it is to:

Build a platemail suit. Sounds simple, eh? Might already have the smith! But here's the catch (Which you no doubt saw coming
)...

This can't be just ANY platemail suit. It must have the max intensities on all the properties it has, and must have a total of 70 for all resists. And, if you want to go FULL extreme.. Must all be mage armor. Plus accompanying weapon and shield identical standards. Extra Extreme Credit: Full 255 durability on ALL pieces. Subjective Extra Extreme Credit: The properties can't suck, and get appropriate jewelry (Crimson Cin., bracelet, ring, talisman) also with max intensities for properties that don't suck.

See? That should burn through every penny you have, take more than enough of your time, and give you a reason to shop, hunt, and harvest.

That's what I love about this game and that's what's kept me here, aside from the community. There's always SOMETHING you *COULD* do, if you wanted, and few even do THAT to perfection.

Now you may want not want to do this.. Might not be fun for you, and that's fine. But I'm certain, if you tried real hard, you could think of SOMETHING in the game you haven't done to perfection.

[Edit]

This is also why I think complaints about a lack of content from posters is also bullocks. If you can't think of something to do, even if it's by yourself and you can't find/think of a way to get others involved, you may not thinking hard enough.

G

Subspace was one of the most fun games I ever played, it's certainly in my all time top list. It's still active today under the name Continuum if you didn't know, the source was all made public after the servers shut down: http://www.getcontinuum.com/

Trench Wars forever!

I

imported_Farsight

After playing Ultima 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 (I stopped there) I simply HAD to play UO.

Even though I was disappointed that UO had nothing to do with the series besides being located in a similar map, I still found it one of the best games I had ever played.

I was out of country when it first came out, so I had to wait until July '98 before I actually got started.

G

Started with ofline games like Elite or Wingcommander sicne 1986.
Then a friend told there will come out again a new game.I said again but its nothing specail or is it special.He said its a bit different its online.I said whats online?He said we played only offline games that means online you interact with player and can group.Where did you read about it?He said in this german magazine.It was 1996.Then i was tourist in usa sep 1997 Las Vegas Losangeles.
Got a magazine and sow uo advertized.Bought the Cd and suddelnly the expensifst pc because my pc was in germany.Stoped going to the beaches in La just to see the new game.Got attack at the beginning there times by a blue char.
Then a decidet to be bountyhunter.Im thinking 24 houers a day a bout pvp.in 6 uo(wiht 5 years eq-1 break),(Years never had a red char) i have killed 4500 pks
as blue(bountyhunter.)
Right now im testing eve online and some times i log in uo.

angelus aconitum

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I saw a picture of the new game Ultima Online in a german computer journal (Computer Bild). I only saw the picture and the title that it is an online game and that was it. At that time I was a really poor student and I had absolutely no money, so I could not afford it to play UO. After 2 years I had a bit more money, so I bought it and played it since then.
The main thing why I bought the game was the grafic. I ever searched for a game with a view like in UO, with those 2d grafics like in UO and much much more. It was and still is the best game for me. And I still believe, that UO can only be 2d. I never wanted UO to be 3d or KR like. It's just the whole picture of 2d which is just perfect for me.
...... Oohh and I love the old music

I

imported_Kallie Pigeon

I had a good friend who played since the beginning and his brother played from the beginning of beta and another friend who played since beta (the real instigator behind everyone else playing). I used to go visit my friend and our wives would sit around and talk about....who knows what and we would go play UO on his computer. Eventually I got my own computer specifically to play UO. It was more fun then when we got together I could go show off my characters which were usually wimps compared to them.

G

I'd watched my sons play console games when they commandeered the tv. I enjoyed watching, but hadn't the dexterity to play the games they did.
When they moved on to computer games they didn't mind mom watching now and then.

Then they started playing uo, now here was a game I could play too! And their dad. The kids let us have a char each and we played their accounts when they were out for a couple of months, then we got an account of our own, shared. That was summer of 2000, we've been here without a break ever since.

I

imported_Prince Erik

<blockquote><hr>

Subspace was one of the most fun games I ever played, it's certainly in my all time top list. It's still active today under the name Continuum if you didn't know, the source was all made public after the servers shut down: http://www.getcontinuum.com/

Trench Wars forever!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup, I played it for quite a while after the official sites were done but it degenerated and our groups broke apart. I still remember all the old pro league matches, gosh those were fun. We even won a few too! Subspace is on my top 5 list of games all time as well.

-P.E.
"WastedOne" of Ministry of Funk (MoF)