• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

What is your CURRENT favorite taming template and why?

DreadLord Lestat

Forum Moderator
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I am curious as to what others are currently running and why. Please ass main pets you use and why as well. I am looking at switching up a couple of my taming templates. :)

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Easiest taming temp to me is the Mage/SW/Tamer.. it is not an 'Easy Button' but it is a 'Lazy Button'. Much more relaxed game play with it even on the higher end bosses. This is not a cheap temp to pimp out though lol.. it is a definite arti ho.

As far as pets go.. I use a wide variety of them. But if I am in a really lazy mode but I want to play I snatch my FWW/Goo Triton and go to it.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I am curious to hear about some unique templates people are using. I have a Mage Tamer Spellweaver that has been awesome, and a Necro Tamer which has only been so-so. I have been debating for a year now changing up the Necro Tamer skillset, but just can't seem to pull the trigger on doing an entire template revamp.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I have been debating for a year now changing up the Necro Tamer skillset, but just can't seem to pull the trigger on doing an entire template revamp.
Kylie started out as a Necro-Tamer years ago. I found it lacking back then so I took him Archer/Tamer and I seldom play that char any more so like you, I have been thinking about revisiting the Necro-Tamer with all the changes that have been made over the years.

DreadLord Lestat

Forum Moderator
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
So for the weaver/tamer

120 Tame
120 Lore
120 Vet
120 Mage
120 Eval
120 Weave

or something like that with high MR suit? I already have all 120s for the taming skills on my tamers so thats why I added that.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
My temp attached. Suit is 22mr, 110 sdi, 3 mod Scarapper (Med, Eval and MR1), Imbued jewls instead of Legendary but that is only because I don't want to have to suit tweak later on.

Untitled.jpg

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
So for the weaver/tamer

120 Tame
120 Lore
120 Vet
120 Mage
120 Eval
120 Weave

or something like that with high MR suit? I already have all 120s for the taming skills on my tamers so thats why I added that.
I have the following:
120 Animal Taming
120 Animal Lore
120 Spellweaving
110 Eval Intel (120 with Wizard Curio Talisman)
100 Magery (120 with Katakotl Ring)
100 Vetinary (120 with Bracelet)
050 Meditation (70 with Katakotl Ring and Scrapper Spellbook)

I have two suits - one high MR and FC/FCR, one high SDI and extra mana. Runs Taming Mastery.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
My two most often used tamer templates are disco/mage/tamer or spellweaving/necro/tamer.
Pet depends on the encounter, but most often is either a Triton Chiv/AI/FWW (garg disco tamer) or Cu Chiv/AI (elf necro tamer).
Probably pretty standard, but it’s what works.

HRH Liz

Lore Master
UNLEASHED
Animal Lore 115 / 120
Animal Taming 115 / 120
Veterinary 100 / 120
Discordance 94 / 120
Musicianship 94 / 120
Peacemaking 94 / 120
Provocation
Magery 105 / 120
Total 717 / 840
GD Tank CU Chiv/AI training a chiv/ai Triton Like to play all three.

Troy

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
I have a few tamers as well, including the template Meat Elemental mentioned which is really good for taming purposes.
The most powerful one and it works really well is pretty much the Mage/ Tamer/ SW template w/ small changes:
120 Taming
120 Lore
110 Magery (100% chance 7th level spells) - don't think you need more than that
120 Eval
110 SW - can go higher to increase the chance to cast WOD, but I believe 110 is enough
Vet 80 - Mostly so I can rez pets if required. You are likely to fail a few times but I don't find that an issue on any hunt as a tamer
Meditation - 80 - just to help w/ mana regen
Necro - 25 - So you can use wraith form and drain more mana
I use an SDI suit (close to 160 without the spell mods)
You use your pet as a tank and then can bombard the boss and other enemies with imagery/ sw spells that do a LOT of damage. Death ray is also is very good option if you mana can keep up.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
110 SW - can go higher to increase the chance to cast WOD, but I believe 110 is enough
There is a substantial fail rate on WOD at 110, at least years ago when I was training the skill to 120 at any rate. I remember it failing at close to a 50% rate. The fail rate at 120 is next to nothing, I seldom fail at that level.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Mine has 128 SDI before buffs. Easy to play and quite deadly.
I use the Taming Mastery but I have 120 real magery so I could use the Magery Mastery.
He regens mana pretty quickly.
I have another with less eval and more Meditation that can regen faster.

1616194738167.png

Troy

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
There is a substantial fail rate on WOD at 110, at least years ago when I was training the skill to 120 at any rate. I remember it failing at close to a 50% rate. The fail rate at 120 is next to nothing, I seldom fail at that level.
The success rate of WOD at 110 is 65%
120 SW is ideal, but I wanted to make sure my mana regen is enough for me to cast spells like there is no tomorrow :)
I can try and find better jewels w/ more skills but it's really hard doing that when you are trying to max SDI.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
The success rate of WOD at 110 is 65%
120 SW is ideal, but I wanted to make sure my mana regen is enough for me to cast spells like there is no tomorrow :)
I can try and find better jewels w/ more skills but it's really hard doing that when you are trying to max SDI.
Definitely have to make trade offs here and there.. and that comes down to specific playstyles of the person. For me, I run MR-33ish with GM Med and seldom run out of mana until the WOD at the end of some of the higher end content. But, I keep my SDI at the 110-120 range to be able to have the MR. (until I snag that new Pirate Shield then SDI is gonna go UP :thumbup: )

I have always wondered about that 25 Necro that some run for Wraith though. Without SS you are leeching like what 8-9%? Is that making that large of a difference to you?

SSooRRaa

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Currently run a SW/SDI/Tamer with just enough necro to go wraith for the mana leach.
120 lore
120tame
120 sw
110eval(120 with curio)
100 mage(120 with crys ring)
100 med(110 with spell woven)
20 necro(35 with grimoire for wraith)

30 ss

Also extra 20 focus from ring and 15 resists from cuffs of archmage)
Rockin 145 SDI in wrath form(never run of out mana) with the right slayer book on and the pet pretty much only needs to tank- Super fun i recently changed to this temp and dont see myself going back- but very expensive lol

Cork

Sage
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I run a few different tamer builds. First one is a mage/spellweaver/tamer. +20 magery katalkotl or crystalline ring to get 120 magery. Wizard's curio +10 eval to get 120. I also get +10 med from Katalkotl but you could run spellwoven legs for the +10 med as well. I carry a +20 vet ring and bracelet to swap on to get 80 vet for when I need to rez a pet on the battlefield. This build shines with a high SDI suit. My main SDI suit is 176 SDI (unbuffed), 100 lrc, 40 lmc, 2/6 casting, 30 mana regen, +25 int, +4 or more str, +5 or more HP, and as much +mana and casting focus as I can get. I usually end up around 135 hits and 205+ mana.

Modified skills on the left and real skill on the right.
Cork Skills.JPG

My second favorite build is a necro tamer. I run almost the same suit as above except I use imbued jewelry and a different shield. I have 174 base SDI unbuffed and 3/5 casting.

Ignore the resist spells and parrying skill. They come on my Hephaestus shield I use for this build.
Raven Necro Tamer Skills-modified.JPG

My last build is a basic Bard Tamer. Depending on what I'm doing I swap out the various bard skills for what I need. The build consists of 120 taming, lore, magery, meditation, and either Discord, Provocation, or Peacemaking. This is a cheapy build that doesn't require any special gear like the two above. And I usually use this one on another account as a support character. I do have other builds I play with but they are not anything I use very often except under certain circumstances.

Last edited:

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Currently run a SW/SDI/Tamer with just enough necro to go wraith for the mana leach.
120 lore
120tame
120 sw
110eval(120 with curio)
100 mage(120 with crys ring)
100 med(110 with spell woven)
20 necro(35 with grimoire for wraith)

30 ss

Also extra 20 focus from ring and 15 resists from cuffs of archmage)
Rockin 145 SDI in wrath form(never run of out mana) with the right slayer book on and the pet pretty much only needs to tank- Super fun i recently changed to this temp and dont see myself going back- but very expensive lol
Here is my necro/weaver/tamer set-up

1616204562536.png

(he is missing his poison earrings atm)

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Disco/Tamer and Death Ray Tamer/Mage ©.

Disco/Tamer is...
120 Taming
120 Lore
GM Vet
GM Magery
80 Med (90 with Balakai's Shaman Staff)
GM Music (120 with Jewelry)
GM Disco (120 with Jewelry)
Runs Consume Damage, and primarily uses 120 Chiv+AI pets (or a RC+AP Fire Beetle in groups). This char is all about debuffing the opponent so that his pet and guildies can dish out more damage. No expensive SDI suit required.

Death Ray Tamer/Mage © is...
120 Taming
120 Lore
120 Vet
120 Magery
120 Eval
120 Med
Runs Death Ray, and primarily uses a 120 Disco+CB Triton to debuff Energy Resist. This char dishes out a ton of damage himself with Death Ray (especially with a Slayer spellbook), and also provides powerful debuffs with his pet's 120 Disco+CB, -10 Energy Resist from Death Ray, and has good utility with 120 Eval Blesses/Paralyze Fields and guaranteed player or pet rezzes. He's Human for the 20 JoAT Necro, so that he can sit in Wraith Form and regain Mana with Death Ray. SDI doesn't affect Death Ray damage, so an expensive SDI suit isn't required, but does help with E-Bolts/Chain Lightning for fights that aren't Death Ray friendly.

I have these two on seperate accounts, so i can combine my Disco/Tamer with RC+AP Beetle along with my Death Ray Tamer/Mage © with his 120 Disco+CB Triton, and the debuff stacking is insane. Bosses melt like butter with those two and a group on them.

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
My favorite tamer is my Disco-Tamer.

120 Magery
120 Taming
120 Animal Lore
120 Discordance
120 Music
100 Veterinarian
60 Meditation

This is a 760 skill point template. I use a Balakai Shaman Staff for +10 Meditation and then fit +30 more skills on Jewels. The only skills that MUST be real are Taming and Lore. I run Consume Damage constantly and it works very well with the boss discorded.

I also have a Spellweaving Tamer and a Necro Tamer. The weaver works great for content where you cannot discord the bosses, such as Blackthorn's Pods. I use the Necro Tamer for champ spawns, but there are other characters I prefer more for champ spawns in general.

Gb8719

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
This is, hands down, my favorite tamer template. It might not be as powerful as Tamer/SW/Mage, but it's so much fun to play.

The build heavily relies on gear. It has the flexibility to swap out Healing for Hiding or Swords for Archery. I think Swords might be slightly more practical for this build but I enjoy the playstyle of ranged better.

I mostly use a Rune Beetle for the Runic Corruption to make my shots hit harder. My backup is a Chiv/AI Cu.

I use Chiv to heal myself and also keep Divine Fury and Consecrate Weapon up 100% of the time. I run a full set of Slayer Yumi's for max swing speed.

Tactics: 100 (90 real)
Chiv: 120 (105 real)
Animal Lore: 115
Animal Taming 115 (90 real)
Vet: 90 (+10 from enhanced bandies)
Archery: 120 (95 real)
Hiding: 100
Bush: 35

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
This is, hands down, my favorite tamer template. It might not be as powerful as Tamer/SW/Mage, but it's so much fun to play.

The build heavily relies on gear. It has the flexibility to swap out Healing for Hiding or Swords for Archery. I think Swords might be slightly more practical for this build but I enjoy the playstyle of ranged better.

I mostly use a Rune Beetle for the Runic Corruption to make my shots hit harder. My backup is a Chiv/AI Cu.

I use Chiv to heal myself and also keep Divine Fury and Consecrate Weapon up 100% of the time. I run a full set of Slayer Yumi's for max swing speed.

Does hiding break aggro and get you out of jams? That was my issue when I tired a tamer-archer. I was thinking of trying again with 92 Magery (100% 6th circle) for invisibility? Of course then I need spell channeling on my weapon and to carry some reagents.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Does hiding break aggro and get you out of jams? That was my issue when I tired a tamer-archer. I was thinking of trying again with 92 Magery (100% 6th circle) for invisibility? Of course then I need spell channeling on my weapon and to carry some reagents.
I tried hiding on my Archer/Tamer before... when aggro'ed I always got the 'Can't do that right now' message. So I started carrying invis pots and/or invis items, kept both on separate macros. That worked much better than hiding. Plus it freed up 100 skill points.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

Tamer/Archers also synergize extremely well with 120 Disco+CB Tritons (or Cus if you want a ridable, but they have less CB uptime) with a 100% Energy Yumi. The Triton tanks and applies debuffs, which increases not only it's own damage, but also the damage of the Tamer/Archer using Double Shot or Armor Pierce with the 100% Energy Yumi. Hit Lightning does more damage as well with the 120 Disco+CB debuffs. Very high single target damage output build.

Gb8719

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
At 100 hiding, you need to be 8 tiles away from an aggressive mob to have 100% hiding chance. It's not very difficult if you're at a range unless you're fighting a Paragon or another fast creature.

Gb8719

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Tamer/Archers also synergize extremely well with 120 Disco+CB Tritons (or Cus if you want a ridable, but they have less CB uptime) with a 100% Energy Yumi. The Triton tanks and applies debuffs, which increases not only it's own damage, but also the damage of the Tamer/Archer using Double Shot or Armor Pierce with the 100% Energy Yumi. Hit Lightning does more damage as well with the 120 Disco+CB debuffs. Very high single target damage output build.
I've never looked into using a Triton. I sorta have an issue against using non-mountable tames. Part of the reason I enjoy this build is that it's very fast paced and quick moving and towing around a Triton doesn't sound too exciting.

Runic Corruption reduces resists by 50% for 5 seconds so that's what I usually stick with when using Consecrate Weapon.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Runic Corruption reduces resists by 50% for 5 seconds so that's what I usually stick with when using Consecrate Weapon.
Yeah, Conductive Blast reduces Energy Resist by half for 5 seconds. You can tell when the pet uses it too due to a small amount of Energy Damage being dealt when it's applied. Why i recommended a 100% Energy Yumi. Triton/Cu can also get 120 Disco (unlike rideable Beetles), which lowers the opponent's Resists by -28, skills by -28% (these debuffs are halved against 160+ Barding Difficulty foes), and also lowers HCI/DCI/SSI/DI into negatives on mobs. A 120 Disco+CB Triton/Cu can apply Disco to a 80 Energy Resist boss to drop it to 66 Energy Resist, then apply Conductive Blast to further debuff it to 33 Energy Resist, making Double Shot out damage AI/AP. The victim's reduced skills/DCI from Disco also makes it easier to land hits on them, not just more damage when a hit is landed.

BlackSheep

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I run multiple tamers as they are so versatile and my favorite character types.

Tamer Eval Mage - Elf

120 Magery
120 Eval
120 Med
120 Tame
120 Lore
120 Vet or 120 Weaving or 120 Resist

This is my main tamer. I use a max SDI suit + Magincia town buff and the MR that those pieces bring, 2/6 casting. I rely on slayer spell books or sometimes will use the mage mastery in conjunction with a Discord/CB Triton. I use pretty much every flavor of pet you can think of. My favorite builds are just basic Chivalry/Armor Ignore for single target or Mystic/Armor Ignore & possibly Goo for spawns or multiple target. I also use a Poison/FWW/Poison Breath Triton for spawns as well I like. I prefer pets that can be trained up to 5 slots. Sometimes in a group, I will use a trained up 4 slot Windrunner (Necro/Life Leech/Armor Ignore) for fun as well for those times I want a trained pet to use while mounted.

-

Treasure Hunter Tamer - Human

120 Taming
120 Lore
120 Magery
100 Remove Trap
100 Lockpicking
100 Cartography
60 Meditation

He runs in a full luck suit and switches to a -0 magery weapon with +10 Meditation (Balakai Staff) once the chest pops up while invis'd. He is human and uses a fire beetle (frost dragon) or giant beetle (for storage). He will run consume damage in spurts.

-

Archer Tamer - Elf

120 Archery
120 Tactics
120 Chivalry
120 Taming
120 Lore
120 Vet for now but may swap for Bushido or Resist

4/6 casting, 45 HCI 100 Dmg Inc on suit, I use cameos plus slayer weapons to reach damage cap, enemy of one if no slayer, Archery/Taming/Chivalry Level 3 primers (usually use taming 3 unless I am in a big group and then I switch to Chivalry for mana boost over 100.

-

I have a Necro Tamer I need to piece back together but he was something close to this with items:

120 Taming
120 Lore
105 Necro
120 Spirit Speak
120 Magery
120 Eval or Spellweaving
120 Magic Resist

As much SDI as I could with as close to resists, 2/6 casting. Good for spawns and against bosses with fire or poison based pets while in wraith form (Lady Mel). You can chain spells in wraith form as long as the target has mana to leech.

-

Tamer Bard - Gargoyle

90 Taming +30 Jewels = 120
90 Lore +30 Jewels = 120
120 Magery
120 Music
120 Peace or Provo
120 Discord
60 Meditation + Balakai Staff 10 Med = 70

You could 120 Peace in place of 120 magery and use 60 magery in place of the 60 Med with some jewels and a +15 magery spellbook to get you to around 105 magery but I find it harder to maintain running both peace or both provo masteries this way.

I mainly run peace or provo masteries while the mob is discorded. I run as much +4 mana regen items as possible. I will say the peace masteries are good but against a physical damage boss, it pales in comparison to a Taming 3 primer running consume damage. I use mainly Chiv/Armor Ignore or Chivalry/Armor Ignore/FWW tritons or a Chiv AI PP Wyrm on this character with various builds.

-

Mystic Tamer - Elf

120 Mystic
120 Focus
120 Taming
120 Lore
120 Magery
120 Vet

More of a defensive build and great for events where the EMs like to poison you. You can swap vet our for Spellweaving for a bit more damage output.

I am currently considering multiple other Tamer builds lol. A Ninja Stealth Weaver Tamer sounds interesting.

Last edited:

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Archer Tamer - Elf

120 Archery
120 Tactics
120 Chivalry
120 Taming
120 Lore
120 Vet for now but may swap for Bushido or Resist

4/6 casting, 45 HCI 100 Dmg Inc on suit, I use cameos plus slayer weapons to reach damage cap, enemy of one if no slayer, Archery/Taming/Chivalry Level 3 primers (usually use taming 3 unless I am in a big group and then I switch to Chivalry for mana boost over 100.
If you're in a big partied group, you might want to use Archery Mastery for "Play the Odds". Play the Odds halves your attack range, but gives +45% HCI/+30% SSI to all party members (and their pets) within 5 tiles of you when it's used. With Lvl 3 Primer, it lasts for 60 seconds, has a 90 second cooldown (2/3 uptime). It also applies to your own pet as well, greatly increasing their chance to successfully land hits. It's a very powerful group buff, and is excellent for helping to counteract the Aura of Nausea/Howl of Cacophany debuffs from Lady Mel, Monstrous Interred Grizzle, Blackthorn's Bard Captains, or Giant Turkeys.

Ning

Journeyman
I'm still using the same tamer/bard template for the most part that I've had since Renaissance. A few tweaks here and there but nothing fancy and plenty serviceable for the hunting I do.

110 Taming - haven't found a 120 for sale yet
110 Lore - scrolled 120
100 Vet - scrolled 110
100 Mage
100 Music
100 Provoke - scrolled 120
100 Peace - scrolled 120

I dropped med to add peace since returning. I wasn't casting often enough to need it. Provoke seems much less useful these days than it used to be so I've been considering stoning it and raising discord.

My pets mostly suck. First pet I trained since coming back was the hiryu I've had since SE. Screwed him up by not adding Chiv because I didn't understand my neg karma's effect and it wasn't an option to train. But I gave him AI and hit points so he is nice and tanky. Sometimes I'll use my old reptalon that I also screwed up. He's got Chiv, no AI, and no regens but he's convenient at times. I've got a platinum drake I tamed in ice that's got Chiv so far and trained to 4 slots that I'm not certain I'll take further because he's handy for places I'd like a little muscle but want to retain mobility riding an ethy.

I have a 760 str PP WW and a 632 hp dread sitting in the stable untrained because a) I don't yet trust myself not to screw them up and b) commerce on Sonoma is fairly dead and finding scrolls isn't easy. I don't even want to start training until I have them all in hand because I don't trust myself to be patient and I'd probably just half-ass them and skimp.

Ning

Journeyman
Oh geez. It took me 15 years just to figure out how to be able to reactivate my accounts. I haven't copied a toon to TC in probably 20 and there's no telling how long it'll take me to figure it out. I'm an old man and not sure I got that kinda time! LoL

Chrille

Sage
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
It's very complicated click help and then character copy then next page and pick test center. You can't be mounted and you are done.

SevenDF

Journeyman
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I just came back to the game after a long break. My old Tamer is a standard disco/mage/tamer.

I’ve made a new one and have to admit, he’s really fun to play. I made a thrower/tamer. So I can use a 5 Slot pet and move as fast as with a rideable pet. Skills are:

120 taming
120 lore
120 throwing
100 tactics
100 anatomy
90 veterinary
70 chivalry

Atm i am Training a Disco Triton. Let’s see how it works when all is done :)

Laura_Gold

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
120 taming
110 lore
100 veterinary (for resurrecting a pet in the field)
110 magery (gate travel and greater heal)
80 meditation
100 hiding
100 stealth

Weaknesses: I can't order my pet around a lot. That would unhide me and the pet has about a 1-in-20 chance of not obeying.
Strengths: With pet in "all follow me" and "all guard me" modes I don't need to order my pet around a lot.
Note: I carry raw ribs and apples and bandages.
Note: level 2 or level 3 magery mastery for Death Ray
Note: soulstones for swapping skills. Taming a new pet, for example, I swap out meditation for herding.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Note: I carry raw ribs and apples and bandages.
Raw Dino Ribs and Raw Serpent Steak weigh only 1/10 Stone each, so can carry a lot more of them than the usual Cut of Raw Ribs. Can get plenty of Dino Ribs from Lvl 4 of the Dragon Turtle spawn, and plenty of Raw Serpent Steak from Sea Serpents as someone is throwing Fabled Fishing Nets for Scalis, or from Sea Serpents that spawn near Plunder Beacons.

Riner

Journeyman
Governor
I am currently working on my tamer\mage

Strength: 125 Dexterity: 25 Intelligence: 150 (with items)

SDI current 128 goal: 178

Goals for skill:
Taming 120
Animal lore 120
Vet 90 plus 20 jewelry 110
Mage 120
Evaluate Intelligence 120
Spell weaving 120
Meditation 30 plus 20 jewelry 50

I think it will make a pretty strong trainer but still new to this.

Riner

Gb8719

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran

Goals for skill:
Taming 120
Animal lore 120
Mage 120
Spell weaving 120

Riner
That's a good build. I would try with and without Vet. I run the same build but found that Vet was cumbersome and unnecessary with heals from SW and Greater Heal spam. Other people will tell you they can't live without Vet. Definitely personal preference so that's why I recommend be open to trying both.

Lex Darion

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED

Goals for skill:
Taming 120
Animal lore 120
Mage 120
Spell weaving 120

Riner
This is roughly my build.
Im running either vet or parry, depends on what situation Im in.

I got a vet on standby so I dont need to run vet usually. SDI is maxed when I glasscannon or nuke, but usually 140-150 range when I got decent survivability on.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

Goals for skill:
Taming 120
Animal lore 120
Mage 120
Spell weaving 120

Riner
I have a tamer with a similar build and a high SDI suit. I dropped vet for a combination of necro (just enough for wraith form) and spirit speak. This comes in handy for endless Wind or EQ clearing low level spawn or big bombs like flame strike or WOD while my pet tanks the bosses.

Between cu or triton, gift of renewal, and consume damage I just never got much out of Vet.

Suetonious

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
178 is reachable
50 spell book, 36-38 jewels, 10 shield, 15 ear rings, 5 chest, 12 - 15 legs, 15 hat, 5 necklace, 20 bracers, 5 taili, 5 cloak, 5 robe. Arcane empowerment and tree form can boost it well above this. Although wraith is more worth it in most circumstances. My caster sits at 152 as I dont think the trade off of going higher makes sense for my game play. I also rarely put spell weaving on any more. I prefer keeping vet on the build.

Cork

Sage
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
What shield gives SDI and what legs give 12 or 15? I should have clarified I'm asking unbuffed. Clearly you can get way past 178 with food and spell buffs. I'm at 168 unbuffed and I could reach 175 if I swapped out hands and chest for Protector of the Battle Mage and Greymist gloves. But that would gimp my resists, lrc and other stats.

Last edited:

Chrille

Sage
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
Hooks shield is 10 sdi, you get it from the buc den pirate rewards. Legs have 10 as max. You are at max besides shield, gloves and chest.

Cork

Sage
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Thanks for the info. I didn't even realize that shield had 10 sdi. Don't think I could give up the 2 fcr for it though :)

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
How do you plan on reaching 178 sdi?
1620337855315.png

This is mine. Still need the perfect bracelet to add the 4 FC and 3 more SDI so 178 is definitely doable pre any buffs.

Cork

Sage
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
This is mine. Still need the perfect bracelet to add the 4 FC and 3 more SDI so 178 is definitely doable pre any buffs.
What gear are you using to get 3/7 fc/fcr at 176 sdi?

Cork

Sage
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I'm at 178 unbuffed sdi after switching out my shield for a Hook's Shield. But I only have 4/5 fc/fcr when using a 50 sdi spellbook because I lost the 2 fcr switching shields . When switching to a slayer spellbook I have 3/7 fc/fcr. I do have a 4 fcr bracelet so I'm curious what you are using to get there. I'm at 138 hits and 206 mana as well.

Last edited: