• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

What happened ?

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Why are you blaming Hoffs, it's not his fail, most new blue SP players will go for the largest and most visible guild, they would do that without NEW too

Sprago

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Why are you blaming Hoffs, it's not his fail, most new blue SP players will go for the largest and most visuel guild, they would do that without NEW too
OMFG im not blaming hoff at all

Sprago

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I guess I'm not understanding your question. As far as I know Natalia was used to guild people to NEW and get them started. Hoffs played with GIL. The two did not cross.
so he didnt play with them on hunts and stuff as a NEW emissary only recruitement and gear set up. so that means any hunting with NEW was done as his alternate character that they didnt know was him, hoffs correct? so why even bother with NEW.

NEW's concept can only be held up if the emmissaries participate in hunting and getting them to know the shard not just recruitment. When you recruit to GIL do you just set em up and let them play by themsleves im guessing not you play with them. New should have someone willing to do that or lets completely get rid of it

Sprago

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
whether you intended to or not, it seems that everyone perceives that you have.
KK funny how things are percieved differently by different people. Again hoff's im just being misunderstood i never ment to offend you i hope you dont take it that way ive always respected you still do

NEW's concept can only be held up if the emmissaries participate in hunting and getting them to know the shard not just recruitment. When you recruit to GIL do you just set em up and let them play by themsleves im guessing not you play with them. New should have someone willing to do atleast that or lets completely get rid of NEW

IanJames

Certifiable
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
so he didnt play with them on hunts and stuff as a NEW emissary only recruitement and gear set up. so that means any hunting with NEW was done as his alternate character that they didnt know was him, hoffs correct? so why even bother with NEW.

NEW's concept can only be held up if the emmissaries participate in hunting and getting them to know the shard not just recruitment. When you recruit to GIL do you just set em up and let them play by themsleves im guessing not you play with them. New should have someone willing to do that or lets completely get rid of it
look I don't know exactly how it was done, but it's been Gilfane policy for several years now to not actively recruit NEW to avoid this very accusation, and to give them a chance to look at other guilds without over shadowing unintentionally.

If you aren't blaming Hoffs, then who exactly are you blaming?

Freja, we will not be starting any alternative to NEW. It will just be the same **** all over again. If someone else wants to do that, that's fine, but we won't be involved.

Sprago

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
look I don't know exactly how it was done, but it's been Gilfane policy for several years now to not actively recruit NEW to avoid this very accusation, and to give them a chance to look at other guilds without over shadowing unintentionally.

If you aren't blaming Hoffs, then who exactly are you blaming?

Freja, we will not be starting any alternative to NEW. It will just be the same **** all over again. If someone else wants to do that, that's fine, but we won't be involved.
its not hoffs fault that he was trying to help NEW, its not shalimars fault that shes got RL situations that must be handle but i do think we need to get rid of NEW because the idea behind NEW cant be upheld unless someone devotes themselves to only helping NEW players as a Main Character not as a alt which there only duty is recruitment

all of our active guilds are better suited to handle new players to the shard then a guild thats only activity is to recruit new players

IanJames

Certifiable
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well. That's what you've got at this point. Natalia has resigned from NEW and that effectively leaves the guild abandoned.
Let's all move on now

Noble Beast

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh boy.

Well, speaking as a new citizen on Siege, I must say that I find a lot of the discussion to not be what I have experienced. I have been accused of wearing rose-colored glasses, hehe.) I will speak only about what I have personally encountered.

NEW Guild was a safe place to learn about the culture & community of Siege. It is difficult to find an Emissary during the times that I play. I see the Portal Hub as a great service. I was given a plot to co-own along with Luka & Dionysus (Patron of the Amazons) until I can clean up my Baja homestead. GIL is very active & there are usually at least a pair of GIL around & vocal in Gen Chat so I can understand why folks want to join them - they are friendly, helpful, and online. I am grateful for all information. I heed warnings but make my decisions based on my personal experience. I know the game mechanics and how to gain skill, fame, karma, etc... what I did not know was where the active vendors are, Guilds, RP, etc... so I glad that I was shown around the different communities.

Also, it is summer folks. *winks* Vacations, active military service, school, work... all of things have stalled the migration of three friends from coming to Siege. They will come though *narrows eyes at Mark, Chris, & Thomas* Just yesterday, I saw a BRPA (Baja Role Playing Alliance) member around Luna Bank; I could not find them to talk but I saw them pop up every now & then.

Perhaps we should have an active Guild Showcase or Faire. I plan on hosting some events in future but my time is limited this summer season too.

And, yes, the slow RoT is really rubbing me the wrong way. I mined on my Mule for an hour last night & gained a full 0.4. *shrugs*

Overall, I am having a blast & so are my teammates so we will be around as PvP fodder or goody tw0-shoes supporters. Our Guild is kinda in between those two & everything in between. We might join Minax because she is the only female faction leader in UO Storylines but that will be a group decision.

Thank you all for listening. We will see in Sosaria.

Lady Clodia, Amazon Regent Priestess

chise2

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh boy.

Well, speaking as a new citizen on Siege, I must say that I find a lot of the discussion to not be what I have experienced. I have been accused of wearing rose-colored glasses, hehe.) I will speak only about what I have personally encountered.

NEW Guild was a safe place to learn about the culture & community of Siege. It is difficult to find an Emissary during the times that I play. I see the Portal Hub as a great service. I was given a plot to co-own along with Luka & Dionysus (Patron of the Amazons) until I can clean up my Baja homestead. GIL is very active & there are usually at least a pair of GIL around & vocal in Gen Chat so I can understand why folks want to join them - they are friendly, helpful, and online. I am grateful for all information. I heed warnings but make my decisions based on my personal experience. I know the game mechanics and how to gain skill, fame, karma, etc... what I did not know was where the active vendors are, Guilds, RP, etc... so I glad that I was shown around the different communities.

Also, it is summer folks. *winks* Vacations, active military service, school, work... all of things have stalled the migration of three friends from coming to Siege. They will come though *narrows eyes at Mark, Chris, & Thomas* Just yesterday, I saw a BRPA (Baja Role Playing Alliance) member around Luna Bank; I could not find them to talk but I saw them pop up every now & then.

Perhaps we should have an active Guild Showcase or Faire. I plan on hosting some events in future but my time is limited this summer season too.

And, yes, the slow RoT is really rubbing me the wrong way. I mined on my Mule for an hour last night & gained a full 0.4. *shrugs*

Overall, I am having a blast & so are my teammates so we will be around as PvP fodder or goody tw0-shoes supporters. Our Guild is kinda in between those two & everything in between. We might join Minax because she is the only female faction leader in UO Storylines but that will be a group decision.

Thank you all for listening. We will see in Sosaria.

Lady Clodia, Amazon Regent Priestess
Yeah you are right about the time of year I brought that up before. I mean like I said before even when Siege was much more active activity would drop off sharply at certain times of the year. Not to say it isn;t discouraging to see the drop in activity especially with us really needing more population but it does help put it into some perspective. Also I am looking forward to seeing more of you around and hope you guild sticks it out for the long run! :)

Luka Melehan

Certifiable
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Wow. OK. I know most of you in this thread by one road or other. We need to express, need a sounding board, we take things offensively. Ya know why? We love this place. We care and want it to keep going. NEW was awesome. Shalimar was awesome. HOffs is awesome...he has the strongest guild atm, and apparently has devoted a chunk of life into NEW. Sprago...is awesome. When he calls out for a hunt, he is not recruiting. As long as I have been guildless, he has never tried to recruit me. All of these people have helped me both when I was new and all the years since. Lets step back a minute. YOu all are whats holding us together. Maybe we need a differnt plan, I don't know. Maybe we need a couple more folk in NEW. Or maybe everyone could be more responive to new folk in Gen chat. Either way, I love you. Wish work wasn't keeping me away so much. Don't make me pull over this van...

Heavenless

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Had to do some speed reading for pg 2... I have a solution to bring life back to siege, build a time machine and go back to the year 2000!! (Hoffs suxxors).

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
OK
Here is my solusion
NEW had been in my hands before and I want it to be a success again
If the shard agree, I will try once again.
I will restart NEW
I will try find a leader team of SP players, with different playstyles and with different timezones.
I will set the rules for NEW so close to the old rules from first time I restarted NEW.
I will set up a forum
I will choose one of my houses for the project
I will try my best to keep NEW neutral and with respect and support both from the good and the evil community.

The old rules is mainly.
1 month in NEW
Have to stay neutral in PvP and only fight if attacked or in duels
No attacking of, stealing from players or looting player they did not kill in defense.
No gm skills when they join

I know I can't be on more than few hours week days but with a good leader team, I know I can make it work, I had done it before.

I'm not personly going to make hunts for NEW, some in the leader team may choose to do that.
I will support NEW members with with info about the shard, advices, basis trainings gear.
I won't be able to help them with Powerscrolls and other skill scrolls but I will help them with advices about how to make money.

The main house will mostly be a part of my SH castle with access to the Luna Shop and my mining house.

If Shalimar should be back and want the control back, I will step back.

UncleSham

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Freja , i too believe NEW is worth keeping alive . perhaps make NEW2 till you can oficially get it back from shalimar
if you go thru with this ill back you as much as i can with powerscrolls and whatnot .once you have a maibox make sure i get a rune.
one thing tho i sort of disagree with . you mentioned no skills over gm . this might be a problem for returning players .
as we need players id humbly recommend you wave that part . returning players probably wont need as much help anyway , just time to re-learn and acclimate. . im sure many may find themselves skilled but hopelessly outdated. i believe we should help them as well. at least it would give them time to learn everyone ... and us them.

hopefully shalimar will return , but until then ill try to help you as i can . im sure my guild and allies would pitch in as well .

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Freja , i too believe NEW is worth keeping alive . perhaps make NEW2 till you can oficially get it back from shalimar
if you go thru with this ill back you as much as i can with powerscrolls and whatnot .once you have a maibox make sure i get a rune.
I will do that

one thing tho i sort of disagree with . you mentioned no skills over gm . this might be a problem for returning players .
as we need players id humbly recommend you wave that part . returning players probably wont need as much help anyway , just time to re-learn and acclimate. . im sure many may find themselves skilled but hopelessly outdated. i believe we should help them as well. at least it would give them time to learn everyone ... and us them.
I agree returning players will need to hang out with NEW but they should not be protected of the tag. The solusion here could be a title saying "I'm back" or something. To make the PK's agree to leave new members alone, you do need to show who are reall new to the shard and who is back or who not yet had found a guild .

I sure hope Shalimar will be back but if she choose RL, she sure had done more for the shard, than we can expect from a single player.

I would like players who would like to be a part of NEW as leader to PM me and telling a little your self. Timezone, playstyle, what you can add to the Leader Team, that be crafting skills, PvM hunt or something else.

Baby Doll

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Freja, I am not sure about NEW (mixed feelings about NEW), HOWEVER if your willing to take the time to try this project I can help back you up with some supplies. Not sure what your going to want/need but if ya let me know, I will do my best to support your needs for a NEW guild.

Ginsu's

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think that Power Scrolls, GM-Armor and GM-Weapons should not be handed out by NEW.
This way when the new player joins a guild. it is up to that guild to help them.
give them Armor/Weapons from an NPC or Monster drops.
This way the new player will be looking for a Guild before his month if over in NEW.

I am willing to help you out as much as I can Freja

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I don't all agree about this, some do choose to start their own guild or stay without guild. I like they can find a new suit and weapon if they get looted. Most NEW will not abuse this. They are happy to get a starting suit but after that, they try to stand on their own feets when it come to armor and weapon. Most want to pay back the help they got and will drop of useful monster loot for their guildmates in NEW.
About power scrolls, I'm rather free for the mess with sorting them. I also found it was a waste to give powerscroll the day they join, as many of them never get to GM skills.

When I have my leader team will we decide how to handle this

Ginsu's

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Another thought I just had. You shouldn’t have to go looking for guilds for the new players. I think when you get a new player. You should post it on the boards here. And it is up to the Guilds that are looking for new members to come and introduce them self. That way the new player feels welcome to siege. And this will stop people from accusing you for not telling them about their guild.

Adrianas

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I propose a radical approach. We build a group - with members from I4NI, O-S, Gil, and any other guild we can think of that plays this shard. Having the leaders of each of these guilds do this would be the ideal. Then.... *gasp* ... create a group of characters on every freakin' shard that UO has - with a guild named SIEGE (can you have 5 characters?).

And you recruit. Stay a week on each shard and rotate through. First, just listen to general chat a while so you can figure out who the strong players are and who the problem players are. Then specifically speak to those who seem to be the movers and shakers. *Challenge them* to come to Siege for 6 months - not 1 month, but 6. You want to build Siege - this is the way to do it.

We don't have the benefit of being able to "transfer" every month to a new shard. And I think that these new people should be encouraged, if at all possible, to build their own guild. Maybe ally with one of the existing ones. Or join an existing one if they wish. But the idea would be to recruit, help train, and get them into a guild.

Siege has great leaders - in all of our guilds. In fact, I strongly believe that Siege has the best players that UO has to offer - whether or not you 'see' them. We've been made soft in a way by NEW - because NEW has done all the work. But every guild leader on Siege would know how to help new players adapt to the shard.

So that's my radical proposal. Thoughts?

Adrianas

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I propose a radical approach. We build a group - with members from I4NI, O-S, Gil, and any other guild we can think of that plays this shard. Having the leaders of each of these guilds do this would be the ideal. Then.... *gasp* ... create a group of characters on every freakin' shard that UO has - with a guild named SIEGE (can you have 5 characters?).

And you recruit. Stay a week on each shard and rotate through. First, just listen to general chat a while so you can figure out who the strong players are and who the problem players are. Then specifically speak to those who seem to be the movers and shakers. *Challenge them* to come to Siege for 6 months - not 1 month, but 6. You want to build Siege - this is the way to do it.

We don't have the benefit of being able to "transfer" every month to a new shard. And I think that these new people should be encouraged, if at all possible, to build their own guild. Maybe ally with one of the existing ones. Or join an existing one if they wish. But the idea would be to recruit, help train, and get them into a guild.

Siege has great leaders - in all of our guilds. In fact, I strongly believe that Siege has the best players that UO has to offer - whether or not you 'see' them. We've been made soft in a way by NEW - because NEW has done all the work. But every guild leader on Siege would know how to help new players adapt to the shard.

P.S. When you recruit on other shards, I don't think you should try to steer them into this guild or that - at that point. Just get them here with the 6 month challenge. Also, if a group like this was built, after the 'chat listening' period, you could post on that shard's board as well to announce that you are there to talk about Siege and to issue the challenge. [I do know a thing or two about 'promotion'! And I would volunteer for this myself, except I've got a book deadline now. I will continue to play Siege every night, but alas, it's just for an hour or so before bed. That being said, I could probably help in other ways.]

T

Tazar

I like the overall idea - but I think you'll run into a problem with using General Chat to learn who is good and who is trouble. I think most of the "movers and shakers" on the regular shards have given up on general chat and left it to the problems.

Adrianas

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ah, true, I suppose. That is one of the (many) ways that Siege is different from the rest. We need to make a list of what makes Siege better than the rest, and that is surely one of them - we have civil and sometimes quite interesting conversations in general chat! (With occasional exceptions, of course.)

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
Cherry picking players from other shards has met some pretty strong objections in the past. Best have a thick skin.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
I am not dismissing the idea by any means. Just adding a bit of knowledge. This idea has merit and should be discussed and developed.

Noble Beast

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I like these ideas a lot. I am willing to do my part & join you in this project, dbolesny. Maybe we should hit Atlantic first & set up camp in Felucca to challenge the PvPers to test their mettle on an adult, anti-materialistic shard, lmao.

Freja - I offer my support to you as well.

A thought sprung into my head, does not have often *winks while chuckling*; perhaps, a Guild Buddy System for graduating NEW Members. I have no problems Guilding someone just to show them the Amazon Lifestyle on Siege for a week or two. I would have loved to tag along with some thieves or murderers or gardeners, for that matter, lol.

I think that I may keep my Mule/Mage (for Gating) in NEW if the Leadership allows it. Clio is fairly harmless & I love to accompany new peeps on their first hunts.

Just more food for thought! *chuckles*

Adrianas

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Cherry picking players from other shards has met some pretty strong objections in the past. Best have a thick skin.
Probably true. Then the goal would be to just issue the challenge to as many peeps on the shards that we can find.

@ Noble Beast - I would love to join you and be part of the shard hopping recruiting expedition, but I fear that I cannot do so currently due to mundane obligations (darn that "Lady Mundania"!) But I would be quite tempted. . . . So who knows. Maybe if there is enough support for the idea I will try to find a way to be at least an occasional shard hopper for Siege!

T

Tazar

If you do decide to hit up Atlantic - drop me a PM and I'll help set you up there with runebooks, recall scrolls or whatever else you may need to get around and promote Siege.

PuckOfPacific

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Heh, If you chase away the peple that are wanting to play just a few hours a week, because maybe they would like to jump in with a template that has some skills on it from the begining, Well get OSI to allow transfer. Because no-one who is only going to give a few hours a week to UO wants to just grind skills the whole time for months to get to there end game. Yet as soon as you catch a AFK'er the siege population gets all antsy and tries the darndest to avoid and not participate with those people. Yeah I understand your trying to protect your market. I get that. But how many part time players would you have if you took the same approach as the "prod" shards? You guys are bringing your shard to it's knees all on your own. You don't need any help from the outside for that. And honestly non will come to your aid in the long run, with such a straight and narrow approach. It's not real Life after all. relax and let people enjoy it. Not running them off slaughtering there toons and reporting them. Because yeah you might get someones account banned, most likely your just putting yourself on the annoyiong list for the GM's
Cheers.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
I wish advanced tokens would work for those that wished to use them. I probably have 50 or so taking up space.

Wolfman

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Heh, If you chase away the peple that are wanting to play just a few hours a week, because maybe they would like to jump in with a template that has some skills on it from the begining, Well get OSI to allow transfer. Because no-one who is only going to give a few hours a week to UO wants to just grind skills the whole time for months to get to there end game. Yet as soon as you catch a AFK'er the siege population gets all antsy and tries the darndest to avoid and not participate with those people. Yeah I understand your trying to protect your market. I get that. But how many part time players would you have if you took the same approach as the "prod" shards? You guys are bringing your shard to it's knees all on your own. You don't need any help from the outside for that. And honestly non will come to your aid in the long run, with such a straight and narrow approach. It's not real Life after all. relax and let people enjoy it. Not running them off slaughtering there toons and reporting them. Because yeah you might get someones account banned, most likely your just putting yourself on the annoyiong list for the GM's
Cheers.
Macroing skills is one thing....scripting a completely different story.
Noone gets antsy on Siege if someone is (attended) macroing...if they are script gate-jumping or mining I want to be the first in line to get the kill!

Wolfman

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I wish advanced tokens would work for those that wished to use them. I probably have 50 or so taking up space.
And I do not realy see a reason anymore why the devs should not reimplement them for Siege.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
We have asked nicely... I believe most of the shard is at least OK with the idea. Most folks have already trained these skills once.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Most important for me is, that the leaders I get do have some spare time to put in NEW2 and can agree with me and the rest of the team about the rules for NEW2 and how to make it work. Second, the leaders need to get along with the community, both the dark and the good side. There will be conflicts you have to solve in a mature. Lets see who is willing to help me with NEW2.

About recruiting from other shards, that do not need to be the leaders, who do that. All on the shard can help with that and in their way. My way is via U.Hall and that use to work fine for me.

Only the first month will be in NEW2 unless it is a player with very little playtime each week. Skill gain is way faster now than last I was running NEW and the reds want their target back, so one month is enough.

I'm not Shalimar and my way may be a little different. I have to do it my way but it did work before. [/quote]

Adrianas

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
*snip*
Only the first month will be in NEW2 unless it is a player with very little playtime each week. Skill gain is way faster now than last I was running NEW and the reds want their target back, so one month is enough.
The 6 month challenge is for them to come to Siege and *stay* on Siege for 6 months. So that would be one month in NEW2 and then 5 on their own or in a guild or whatever. But as it is, too many come for one month or two, and then leave. Shoot, maybe we could even come up with some sort of 'prize' for those who join or form a guild and stay for 6 months.

You are a respected voice on the boards and I am not surprised that you have had success using the Stratic boards to recruit.

I also agree with you that this might well need to be a joint effort - with both the dark and light forces of the shard joining together to at least work on this one issue, which everyone on Siege would like to see addressed. The key now is to see if those others agree with us - Raptor, Sprago, Ian? Waiting to hear your thoughts. Yes, this would be frought with some difficulties. But the payoff in new players might be worth it. We get upset at EA because they do not promote UO and specifically Siege enough. But we can do some of it.

HoldenCaulfield

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I believe people have tried recruiting from other shards, in fact a lot of our former Siege players went the other direction and now play Atlantic.

Maybe, in conjuction with promoting on other shards what we need to do is market Siege (UO) in other games, on their message boards, using a free trial, whatever method. Bring a positive message about the possibilities that exist in UO and Siege specifically. Maybe they have played WoW or Diablo or whatever and feel bored - give them a reason to try UO. A lot of folks may know a little about UO in general, but be unaware of Siege itself. We need a consistent and universal message. We need a list of selling points, why should someone play here instead of a different game or shard. We can promote the freedom/sandbox style of the game, housing - probably another major selling point compared to other games.

It seems silly, that we would be doing this and not EA, but I think we just have to sieze the day. No more waiting, lets take action, form a committee and have a plan.

Everyone can help in some way - make the shard lively, build a house, not a empty plot, put up a vendor that is stocked (even if just something minimal). We need to give a good impression and appearance.

Klapauc

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Big problem that comes with the low population is the guild situation here on siege.
If you want to be a evil red, there is one choice and that is O-S.
For blue pvm/crafting chars that dont want to be in a faction there is only one active guild, and that is GIL.
If you dont mind being factions, there are 2 or 3 to choose from, but only I4NI seems to be active and visible.

So for blue pvm/crafting people like me that do not want to be in factions and dont want to be in a big guild or prefer to stay neutral there is really nothing.
Maybe some of the solo players should try to form a very loose alliance that stays out of factions just to offer another choice.

Btw i dont think recruiting on other shards will get us anywhere, most of the uo playerbase is basically veterans. If any of them wanted to play siege, im sure they would be already here.
One of the most frustrating things here especially if you start a dexxer is the low stat gain in the beginning combined with insane long rot intervals later. Some people dont have much time or patience, and it can take a few months to 120 in any weaponskill if you dont have lots of time to play.

Agra-Lem

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I will do my best to make both the good and the dark side support this. I had done it before, when we had alot of red guilds on the shard. I don't expect all reds to not kill NEW but I will do my best to make them go easy on them if they have to kill them. A little RP, a rez and no looting can do a big diff in the way the newbie feel about the kill.

IanJames

Certifiable
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
*snip*

The 6 month challenge is for them to come to Siege and *stay* on Siege for 6 months. So that would be one month in NEW2 and then 5 on their own or in a guild or whatever. But as it is, too many come for one month or two, and then leave. Shoot, maybe we could even come up with some sort of 'prize' for those who join or form a guild and stay for 6 months.

You are a respected voice on the boards and I am not surprised that you have had success using the Stratic boards to recruit.

I also agree with you that this might well need to be a joint effort - with both the dark and light forces of the shard joining together to at least work on this one issue, which everyone on Siege would like to see addressed. The key now is to see if those others agree with us - Raptor, Sprago, Ian? Waiting to hear your thoughts. Yes, this would be frought with some difficulties. But the payoff in new players might be worth it. We get upset at EA because they do not promote UO and specifically Siege enough. But we can do some of it.
I barely have time to play as it is right now. Gilfane is successful because we have some very strong leadership, not because I'm around a lot. If someone in Gilfane wants to participate, that's fine, and of course we will help with the usual stuff if NEW2 needs supplies etc.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm sorry I haven't been around much on Siege lately, folks. I honestly don't know what I'm going to do with my Siege characters and staff at this point. I've still got houses full of stuff (mostly junk others would scoff at), except for resources to use for crafting. A guildmate in 4H banked what he could when it looked like I wasn't coming back and everything was going to fall and I just didn't have the desire or interest to get it all back from him or to try to start replacing it. Running a shop turned out to be something I failed at, miserably, and that failure pretty much eliminated all my reasons for being on Siege as a mostly solo PvM player who's too chicken (or cheap, take your pick) to venture into PvP hotspots. I've got some back stock left for my shop, but not much. What I do have in spades is plants and seeds in all types and varieties, but no one ever seems to need those. At the present time, I'm madly working on my tamers and crafters spread across almost all the shards, hoping to finish most of them before the 15th anniversary rolls around and stock up their bank boxes a bit with crafting resources and a bit of gold. After that, I will probably take a break again. My hopes for UO seem to dwindle by the day and I just don't see myself playing much past the 15th anniversary or maybe the end of the year with the way things are going. I hope Mesanna-as-producer turns out to be a good thing for UO and that things pick up again soon all over, including on Siege. But for right now, I have little hope of that. Sorry to sound so pessimistic.

And Sprago, I did TRY when I was more active as a NEW emissary to show people more of the shard. As I never belonged to Gilfane, I'm not sure if it was me that you saw pointing out the GIL vendors or not. I had one old guildmate from years ago who joined NEW last year in November or so and I think I probably gave him a tour and might have focused just on places I knew he would find useful. But I usually tried hard to take people around to all the vendor areas I was aware of (Brit moongate, Yew gate, Minoc gate, Zento, below Umbra, and Magincia) if there was time. And I always tried to remember to show new members of NEW the collection of books on the roof of the NEW keep that different guild leaders wrote and gave to Shalimar. I can't say I remembered to show every single new member of NEW the books, especially if it was a rushed guilding process, but I sure did try.

Freja, if there's anything you think I can do to help with the new "NEW" guild, let me know. I'm not sure what it would be, but maybe there's something I can do. I'll shoot you my ICQ number in a PM.

chise2

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am not dismissing the idea by any means. Just adding a bit of knowledge. This idea has merit and should be discussed and developed.
Yeah I agree but yes people will need to understand that such recruiting efforts will be met with quite a bit of negativty. Some people will not be happy about Siege players trying to take players from their shard. But it could have some success so I agree it is something worth discussing and perhaps modifying and what not. We are at the stage I think where the more "radicial" proposals are becoming necessary. Because EA is never going to promote Siege.

chise2

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
*snip*

Yeah some sort of incentive for those that stay would be nice. Yeah it will be difficult but it maybe worth it. And really at this point we need to take riskes such as perhaps this idea. And it may need to be modified a bit I donlt know but I really do think at this point it is worth looking into. Same with posting on others games boards. Though in those cases we will have to be careful to post on offtopic boards/boards set aside to talk about other games. Posting topics in the actual games main discussion forum is likely to just get the topics deleted and possibly us banned not to mention not really make a good impression with the games community. But if we are lucky and post on the correct forums we may get some people willing to at least give it a go for a little while.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I know this is perhaps getting a bit stale (it's from August 2011, how time flies), but here's a link to a poll that I started in UHall to find out which aspects of Siege that only the developers of UO have control over keep people from trying out Siege: What Keeps You From Trying Siege? | Stratics Forums . Maybe it's worth a quick review in case anyone's playing on trying to approach Mesanna about making any changes to Siege and Mugen to make them more attractive options for players, ex-players, and people who've never tried UO. Maybe someone would even like to start another poll along the same lines again, with more options this time around? (I think with the XenForo forum software Stratics uses now, polls can have more options than we had under the old software.)

chise2

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I believe people have tried recruiting from other shards, in fact a lot of our former Siege players went the other direction and now play Atlantic.

Maybe, in conjuction with promoting on other shards what we need to do is market Siege (UO) in other games, on their message boards, using a free trial, whatever method. Bring a positive message about the possibilities that exist in UO and Siege specifically. Maybe they have played WoW or Diablo or whatever and feel bored - give them a reason to try UO. A lot of folks may know a little about UO in general, but be unaware of Siege itself. We need a consistent and universal message. We need a list of selling points, why should someone play here instead of a different game or shard. We can promote the freedom/sandbox style of the game, housing - probably another major selling point compared to other games.

It seems silly, that we would be doing this and not EA, but I think we just have to sieze the day. No more waiting, lets take action, form a committee and have a plan.

Everyone can help in some way - make the shard lively, build a house, not a empty plot, put up a vendor that is stocked (even if just something minimal). We need to give a good impression and appearance.
Yep it is time to take action but yes we need a plan first otherwise the effort will fail. And yeah efforts to make the shard lively appearance is important. If people come here and see a bunch of unstocked vendors and plots just sitting there unfinished it really makes a bad impression and just reinforces the Siege is dead mentality.

chise2

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I know this is perhaps getting a bit stale (it's from August 2011, how time flies), but here's a link to a poll that I started in UHall to find out which aspects of Siege that only the developers of UO have control over keep people from trying out Siege: What Keeps You From Trying Siege? | Stratics Forums . Maybe it's worth a quick review in case anyone's playing on trying to approach Mesanna about making any changes to Siege and Mugen to make them more attractive options for players, ex-players, and people who've never tried UO. Maybe someone would even like to start another poll along the same lines again, with more options this time around? (I think with the XenForo forum software Stratics uses now, polls can have more options than we had under the old software.)
Yeah it is probably time for a new poll but that poll does give us some general ideas of perhaps what we need to push for. The biggest one seems to be one char per account. And you know there was a time I would have said no way it would hurt the community! and crafters and so on! But at this point with almost everyone having multiple accounts and using tons of soulstones its really not going to hurt the community to allow more then one char here. Also allowing people to place a second house here would help though I think it shoudl be limited to small plots only. Also for those that complain about no recall and sacred journey we could point out the hub not to mention the public crystal portals they donlt totally replace recall and such but they certainly do help.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I barely have time to play as it is right now. Gilfane is successful because we have some very strong leadership, not because I'm around a lot. If someone in Gilfane wants to participate, that's fine, and of course we will help with the usual stuff if NEW2 needs supplies etc.
A strong leadership is what make a strong guild.
Thanks to all for the support. I will try to be ready with the basis setup for the guild monday (guild house, some leaders and a forum).
I will use my mining house at Covetous mountains as guildhouse. It will be linket with teleporter to a house near a gate.