• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

What happened ?

Sprago

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not to long ago we had a good amount of activity here on siege but where did they all go? we are back to our basic people again i love this shard but we keep loosing our new comers i personally dont understand why, well not true i guess, i understand some of the people leaving.
Newer people, they ask how the shard is doing and we always have someone from here saying" its dead" and "dont get discouraged if ya never see anyone we all stealth" and always someone brings up "diablo" personally i dont think any of these comments are good for us, why do we say them?

We do tell them about NEW which is a great idea but then when the new comers decide to give the shard a try and we get them into NEW all they get told about GIL and showed all the GIL locations. Basically NEW is becoming a starting point to for the GIL alliance (not saying anything bad about GIL just gotta prove my point about NEW). Ive watched an emissary of NEW show a player around and instead of showing them the shard i watched the NEW emmissary take them to GIL vendors tell them about GIL and the hub and that was the end of there oriantaion to NEW. I thought NEW was to introduce them to the shard not prep them for GIL. We have other non-faction guilds out there other then the GIL alliance dont we? Well hell even our factions guilds should get mentioned to new comers we have O-S, VNTY, I4NI, and hell personlly i think even diablo's guild should be an option shown to them(im sorry if i left anyone out) . NEW emissaries should stay nutreal when showing NEW the shard.

after typing this out i guess its more of me venting but im gonna post it anyway i wanna hear the comments

A

Appalachian

Don't get discouraged. All of us new to the shard are stealthed.

Raptor85

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Being red there's not a lot for me to do without other players around so lately I've been logging on less and less, as every time I'm on I can wander for hours without finding anyone, even covetous after the initial bump seems dead now. I can't say the news about possible unrestricting of the faction artys has me thrilled either, kinda saps my will to play thinking of that coming back again.

And spargo, about NEW, I've been complaining about that for a while myself, ever since shalimar stopped being hands on NEW has basicly been the gilfane recruitment guild, it's the only part of the shard they're shown when starting and any talk about other guilds seems to be in a negative light, NEW is supposed to be neutral and let the player decide where to go from there, that's part of why most guilds have in agreement to leave them alone.... not just somewhere for new GIL members to spend 2 weeks while already effectively in GIL farming safely, I can't even fully respect the tag anymore, though part of the problem is there really isn't anyone neutral to run it now so obviously people will be biased towards their own guild.

Most of the newer people had a similar complaint though when training, which may be part in them leaving, that it simply takes too long here on siege, the few newbies we have/had even after a month or two aren't nearly high enough in skill to be terribly effective even at a spawn, and any straight pvp is out of the question.

Alcor

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Okay, so this requires a rare reply to address one of the issues and to dispel a common, unfounded and VERY annoying misconception.

First of all the NEW part. There is NOTHING I find more annoying than people accusing me of favouring Gilfane when it comes to NEW members. There is nothing I would like better than to direct people into other guilds. We don't need new members, others do. Furthermore, we don't need NEW to attract newcomers. If NEW didn't exist, many people would naturally gravitate toward Gilfane anyway because we are the only large guild left on Siege, most of us are "trammies", and we have a web site that people can look at. If I ever get the chance to direct people's ideas on joining a guild, which I hate doing, I ask them to look at UOguilds.com and make a decision, and would always recommend another guild if I felt they were suited to it. But regardless, Gilfane and our allied guild ONE are the only non-faction guilds available, so is it any wonder most would look our way? With regard to the Emmy showing someone our vendors, I have no idea who that was.

And as for numbers, it may surprise you to know that to the best of my memory, the total number of NEW graduates (that is, players) to join Gilfane this year has been the princely sum of three. Two joined last week and the previous one to that was about three months ago. In the interim, a few joined the new VNTY guild which I had great hopes for. But they have joined the long succession of people/groups who come here full of enthusiasm and end up vanishing after a few weeks. When I realised that the leadership had abandoned the shard I urged the remaining members to join I4NI. I think Goop would have been an excellent addition to the Gilfane ranks, but I wanted to bolster what is currently the only active/recruiting guild left on Siege outside the White Council.

The sad truth is that there have hardly been any NEW graduates of late. Most people I guild into NEW end up giving up after just a few days. Many never even log in again after joining and all that work is for nothing. Furthermore, I am just about the only active NEW emmy these days. Kelmo is on now and again, but Tina is no longer around and we all that Shalimar is too busy. I put a character into NEW just to keep it going and if I hadn't the guild would effectively not still be running. As it is, anyone wanting to join in US prime time is probably going to be our of luck. I DO NOT particularly enjoy being a NEW emmy. I would much rather be doing other things.

As to Siege itself, the biggest problem is the lack of population. To get more people we need more people. Too many come along and see how quiet it is, then leave. "I'll be back when things pick up again" is a common refrain. If only people would stick it out, maybe we could build on something. But people come and quickly leave, new guilds show up with grand plans, but also quickly disappear. The only real ray of hope on the horizon is the move to try and bring a large number of ATL players here, but there has been little movement on that front in the last month and so I'm not holding out too much hope for this either.

Alcor

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
You guys need to get your facts straight before making your baseless accusations. Or, hey, why not volunteer to put an emmy in NEW yourself? the only person who was "shown the Gilfane area" straight away was a lady called Mari. She was an old Cats player who used to know Sara Dale. She is in her sixties. Which other guild was she going to join then, huh? O-S?

chise2

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah it does seem like we were getting more an more active not that long ago and it does seem like suddenly most of those people are gone. I do think part of it may be the time of the year though. I remember even when Siege was far more active many years ago there would be certain times of the year when activity would take a sharp dive. I think D3 fairly recently coming out and with the Guildwars 2 beta and maybe other things I am forgetting those could be things pulling people away as well. Yeah I agree the stealth comments probably donlt help much. I think its just that people donlt know what else to say you know? Really I think the problem really is is that too many of us stealth around or hide. I get it to a point too I mean people donl;t want to be killed. But really its not like there is much pks around anyway. I mean there is Bo but he works a lot so isn;t around a ton. Most of O-S is either gone or takign a break from game it seems. I guess what I am basically saying is is there really a reason to hide so much? Imo 90% of the shard going around in stealth and hiding from each other is doing nothign but hurting the shard. If we are going to get and actually keep people we need to be a little less afraid to show our faces.

Also like Raptor said training skills here a problem too. I like ROT but changes need to be made to it. Some skills *like basically any weapon skill for instance* takes a ridicolously large amount of time to train. In addtion to that yeah the population is a huge problem. So people come here see how slow it is. Then even if they decide to initially stay many later on leave after getting sick of training for weeks on end and still not being done. If people would stay and stick it out things would get better heck like Sprago just said things were looking good not long ago. Then this I mean it is discouraging it seems that siege was finally on its way back up then nothing.
We desperately need people to come here and be patient and stick it out if that happened things would be good again. But everyone wants to just wait till the shard is more populated. Well thats not going to happened unless you stay people! I also heard about about the possible move to transfer people from Atlantic to here. But yeah at least on the forums it seems the guy that is behind all that hasn;t even logged on since late may. Though if there is anything the shard can do to help move that along or increase the chances if it actually happening at all.. Cause really that is what we need is a large amount of people to come overhere at once. I mean like whole guilds. Cause one or two people at a time is nice but not enough to make any real noticable difference that convinces people to stay around.

I think another NEW emissary would be a good idea too. Even if the charges agaisnt GIL are unfounded *though I think I can understand to a degree where they come from* It would help alot. We really need a NEW emissary in a different time zone then the current one. It seems like much of the time we have new players asking for NEW and the emissary is not on. You have to wonder if we have lost a few new players just to that? I mean we tell new players hey NEW is great you shoudl join! but then it seems much of the time when they ask to join no one is actually on to invite them... So I think another emissary is really a must at this point you can;t really expect one person to do it all.

A

Appalachian

Most of the newer people had a similar complaint though when training, which may be part in them leaving, that it simply takes too long here on siege, the few newbies we have/had even after a month or two aren't nearly high enough in skill to be terribly effective even at a spawn, and any straight pvp is out of the question.
This is the reason I quit playing back in 2008 not long after graduating from NEW. It seems faster now though, and I GMed some skills without too much trouble. Didnt there used to be a daily skill point gain limit in addition to the stat point daily limit? Before it seemed insurmountable. Maybe I am just getting more patient. I am having more fun with Siege this time around.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Sprago, I'm sure NEW could need a few leaders more, maybe next time Shalimar is around, ask if you can have a char in NEW as leader. I don't have the time now, else I would had given a hand.
If you are NEW leader, the members many times will look at your guild first. When I was a part of NEW, I too did get some members from NEW.

Now there is one more reason, many will join GIL after NEW. Most NEW members are going to play a good char, new SP players who want to play an evil char or a PvP char do many times not feel they need NEW as they don't care much about dying, they know how to survive on their own.

Kael

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not everyone reads or uses Stratics and has a chance to read recruitment threads

Nothing would prevent any guild from getting active in NEW... join as a emmy or just take NEW members out for some hunt (spawning or mini bosses ect ect) on a weekly basis.

People seem to join Gil because Gil invites them to hunts and gets to know them

Sprago

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You guys need to get your facts straight before making your baseless accusations. Or, hey, why not volunteer to put an emmy in NEW yourself? the only person who was "shown the Gilfane area" straight away was a lady called Mari. She was an old Cats player who used to know Sara Dale. She is in her sixties. Which other guild was she going to join then, huh? O-S?
i dont know who you are and why you take this so offensively i do have my facts straight, at least in the circumstance that i am talking about i personally watched it

i wouldnt mind being an emissary to NEW but then again im sure i would just do the same thing for i4ni i know i couldnt be a nuetral emmissary i try to recruit for my guild when i can i know that but maybe thats what NEW needs is someone to speak out for other guilds too

I think we should quit fooling ourselves NEW just isnt what it was without shalimar. shalimar kept things nuetral shalimar noticed i was trying to recruit and asked me to place a book with info about my guild in the new headquarters that kinda treatment is what NEW needs not the curent situation

Sprago

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not everyone reads or uses Stratics and has a chance to read recruitment threads

Nothing would prevent any guild from getting active in NEW... join as a emmy or just take NEW members out for some hunt (spawning or mini bosses ect ect) on a weekly basis.

People seem to join Gil because Gil invites them to hunts and gets to know them
i am constently asking in general chat almost every night if anyone wants to go on a hunt so dont play that game with me

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
What is your goal here?

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
i am constently asking in general chat almost every night if anyone wants to go on a hunt so dont play that game with me
Problem here could be, New members are a little scared I think, they may fear it is a trap. Write an ingame book, with info about your guild and what your guild can help with and how to contact you. Then let a NEW leader lock it down in NEW Keep.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
And all can help making the shard look more active. Don't hide if crafting in your house. Don't stealth when you move around in the game. Drop stealth on a soulstone and let it stay there :p

Sprago

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Problem here could be, New members are a little scared I think, they may fear it is a trap. Write an ingame book, with info about your guild and what your guild can help with and how to contact you. Then let a NEW leader lock it down in NEW Keep.
I DID already shilimar locked it down for me

Kael

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Then get involved in NEW if your so desperate for new recruits

Hate to say it...but you can't force players to join your guild

Sprago

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
why are they scared if there truely NEW they have no reason to be scared unless there being filled with ideas about me before they get the chance to know me which again proves my point

Alcor

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
I am Hoffs, aka Natalia. The central problem here is that there ARE no NEW graduates to speak of. Since I put an emmy back in NEW a few months back, I have guilded a fair number of people, but only a handful have ever lasted. From memory:

SpreadEm and his friends, who spent a couple of days in NEW and then form VNTY.
Viscount Goop, Kano and maybe one other who were recruited by Spred into VNTY.
Chumlee, who joined O-S.
Gnomad was a guy who was in NEW a long time. He dropped out and was never heard from again.
There was a sampire guy, whose name escapes me, who dropped out eventually. He would have been a good fit for Gilfane but I didn't try and recruit him. He asked in chat a few times for an I4NI rep, but then disappeared after a couple of days.
Garth Grey dropped out of NEW last week. I recommended he join I4NI, but he seemed reluctant to join any guild and I haven't seen him for a few days.
Mari and Joey, who graduated last week and joined Gilfane. Prior to that and back in March there was Lathari, the guy who has been trying to bring the ATL guilds across. I don't remember any more NEW guys who have joined us this year. So please take a moment to take that info in. Three Gilfane members this year, or at least the past few months, all of whom joined by request. Okay?

Yes, we desperately miss Shalimar, and Tina too, as I often tell my guildmates. But the central problem is just the lack of people coming to the shard and the lack of activity that is left on Siege. If you don't want to be a goody-goody and you don't want to be in factions, you are pretty much screwed at the moment when it comes to guilds, aren't you?

However, to set your minds at ease, I am no longer going to guild people on my NEW emmy. I don't really enjoy doing it and just put her in because there was nobody left to run NEW and I like to do what is good for the shard, which many people don't seem to believe. But I'm not prepared to do it any longer. Hopefully Shalimar will be able to come on soon and we can get some different people as helpers.

Sprago

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

your either not paying attention or you just dislike me
i try to get involved and not forcing anyone to do aything, as like i just said which you replied to i ask frequently if people want to go on hunts there is no force there is no ill intent what so ever
so again im not understanding that last statement

HoldenCaulfield

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm really not sure why people don't stay, it seems a lot of times when they are polled, the answer is the skill gain - which has improved.

Perhaps if skill gain is indeed the problem, we should organize a night or two and just grind through T-maps on behalf of NEW and organize packs of SOT's, SOA's to help (i.e. thief packs, warrior packs, mage packs...whatever templates we think of that a NEW member may want). We would need to somehow prevent abuse of that though, the new member would have to show that they mean to stay in some way...perhaps by owning a house and being around x amount of time and stocking supplies on a vendor in exchange for their free skill gains when they graduate. They could even help on low level maps as well.

I have been playing a solo game for the past few years, but would eventually like to join a guild. If I don't hear back from my application with KSS, perhaps being a NEW emissary is something I will try out for (or maybe both). I have no guilded characters at the moment...regardless I will be happy to help with t-maps if there is interest.

chise2

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Garth Grey is still around I talked to him last night he is just traveling for work. :) Also I would agree there needs to be more choices in guilds specifically nonfaction guilds. I think many people donlt want a faction guild and GIL is one of the only active nonfaction guilds left it seems so they end up there. But yeah I think more choice would really help and maybe encourage more people to stay if they didn;t feel their choices were so limitted?

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I think the main problem is, players get bored, when to few around. Even get killed of a PK is better than not seeing anyone around.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Maybe we need a new Sticky guild thread, It hurt us badly, that MyUO guildpage is down.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
Maybe what we need is a positive message here instead of finger pointing and assigning blame. *smiles*

chise2

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think the main problem is, players get bored, when to few around. Even get killed of a PK is better than not seeing anyone around.
Yep another reason too I think we need to stop with everyone going aruond in stealth and hidding all the time. I mean its like I said there is really hardly any pks aruond anyway. Getting killed isn;t that big of a deal just donlt wear stuff that you feel you just can;t replace. Also a new sticky guild thread is needed I agree.

chise2

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Maybe what we need is a positive message here instead of finger pointing and assigning blame. *smiles*
I agree though I think alot of us are just discouraged and it is hard to keep a positive outlook you know? Especially for those who have stuck around with Siege in this state for years. But yes we need to find a positive message being too negative is only going to discourage more people from coming here.

Raptor85

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

It's not about gaining more members, it's that new players are coming in and getting a tour of the gil loot house, the hub, and the NEW guildhouse and the tour ends there, I've never seen the tour go through all the other guild houses or public guild areas. When shalimar was on often we would go greet new players and show them the books on all the different guilds of siege, and often being called in via ICQ to help out with choosing skills, but since she's been inactive ever time we've seen a NEW they seem fairly unaware of other guilds, and no I'm not claiming it's PURPOSEFUL....more of it's a crime of omission, GIL leadership being basicly the same as NEW leadership all NEW players end up meeting GIL and nothing more, and we all know for the most part once you've started hanging out in a guild you generally don't switch. The examples you give are not that great as well, Chum was specificly looking to join us from the beginning and was encouraged to join NEW while training, and the VNTY guys formed their guild from scratch while in NEW

When helping a player choose a guild, at least notify the other guilds that said player is looking and we can come fill in information on our guilds that you may not have correct or may be missing, for instance I could very well see a lot of players being wary of joining I4NI thinking factions = pure pvp, stat loss, etc....and while that may have been the idea behind factions that has never 100% been the case, many of those players may be interested to know such things as the Siege factions system that has things like Monster Ignore that effectively lets mages, tamers, and mystics have a FULL HOUR where monsters won't attack them, and that when farming in any facet but fel there is no additional penalty for a faction death over dying on a non-faction character, there are just as much buffs to PVM as PVP in factions and I'd go as far as saying I4NI is primarily a PVM guild, the only member I've ever seen actively join a fight is Spargo himself. I don't know if they are still there or what may need to be updated (My thief was my only character accessed to NEW and he is not currently active) but shalimar used to show new players a set of books written by all the guilds explaining the basics of the guilds and different professions. We can update those when needed and meet new players but we aren't informed of them anymore, it's like we've been cut out of the information loop.

IanJames

Certifiable
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sprago, you wonder why Alcor is upset? You've essentially accused him of driving every new graduate towards GIL It's simply not the case. GIL has not actively recruited anyone for over three years Alcor is very much the most ethical and impartial person I've ever met. In an effort to help the shard and to help NEW he has been the only active emissary for that organization. Through your jealous accusations, you've prompted him to quit doing that. And now, anyone coming to Siege will not have the benefit of joining NEW as he was the last active emissary for the organization. Let's hope Shalimar is able to return at some point.

In the mean time, stop complaining about the lack of recruits. If people want to join a faction guild, they will, if they don't, they won't.

IanJames

Certifiable
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
All I can say at this point is, maybe it's time for someone else to help out NEW. Gilfane members won't be doing that anymore. It gets tiresome when no one else will step in and help, and then you get accused of not doing the job correctly.

chise2

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm really not sure why people don't stay, it seems a lot of times when they are polled, the answer is the skill gain - which has improved.

Perhaps if skill gain is indeed the problem, we should organize a night or two and just grind through T-maps on behalf of NEW and organize packs of SOT's, SOA's to help (i.e. thief packs, warrior packs, mage packs...whatever templates we think of that a NEW member may want). We would need to somehow prevent abuse of that though, the new member would have to show that they mean to stay in some way...perhaps by owning a house and being around x amount of time and stocking supplies on a vendor in exchange for their free skill gains when they graduate. They could even help on low level maps as well.

I have been playing a solo game for the past few years, but would eventually like to join a guild. If I don't hear back from my application with KSS, perhaps being a NEW emissary is something I will try out for (or maybe both). I have no guilded characters at the moment...regardless I will be happy to help with t-maps if there is interest.
Yeah some way to help people train faster would be nice. And a community effort would make it more entertaining not to mention allow them to meet people and see that yes there are more people then it seems playing this shard.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I don't really think players are going to Siege to play faction, they can do that on normal shards.
I believe they more are looking for some good old red vs blue action and some better interact than on normal shards.
One of our new SP players comment on U.Hall to the community there was, something like he had not jet heard any trash talk in general chat.

chise2

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah one really good thing we have going here is the general community and that is one thing I try to push.

Kael

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's not about gaining more members, it's that new players are coming in and getting a tour of the gil loot house, the hub, and the NEW guildhouse and the tour ends there, I've never seen the tour go through all the other guild houses or public guild areas. When shalimar was on often we would go greet new players and show them the books on all the different guilds of siege, and often being called in via ICQ to help out with choosing skills, but since she's been inactive ever time we've seen a NEW they seem fairly unaware of other guilds, and no I'm not claiming it's PURPOSEFUL....more of it's a crime of omission, GIL leadership being basicly the same as NEW leadership all NEW players end up meeting GIL and nothing more, and we all know for the most part once you've started hanging out in a guild you generally don't switch. The examples you give are not that great as well, Chum was specificly looking to join us from the beginning and was encouraged to join NEW while training, and the VNTY guys formed their guild from scratch while in NEW

When helping a player choose a guild, at least notify the other guilds that said player is looking and we can come fill in information on our guilds that you may not have correct or may be missing, for instance I could very well see a lot of players being wary of joining I4NI thinking factions = pure pvp, stat loss, etc....and while that may have been the idea behind factions that has never 100% been the case, many of those players may be interested to know such things as the Siege factions system that has things like Monster Ignore that effectively lets mages, tamers, and mystics have a FULL HOUR where monsters won't attack them, and that when farming in any facet but fel there is no additional penalty for a faction death over dying on a non-faction character, there are just as much buffs to PVM as PVP in factions and I'd go as far as saying I4NI is primarily a PVM guild, the only member I've ever seen actively join a fight is Spargo himself. I don't know if they are still there or what may need to be updated (My thief was my only character accessed to NEW and he is not currently active) but shalimar used to show new players a set of books written by all the guilds explaining the basics of the guilds and different professions. We can update those when needed and meet new players but we aren't informed of them anymore, it's like we've been cut out of the information loop.
Then get involved with NEW man. I'm not sure how effective the books are in recruiting players but i'm pretty sure a member of O-S or I4NI could act also as a NEW representative and show them around the area's that they are familar with including GH's and player towns. O-S looks like a fun guild and the templates/styles they play are certainly appealing to alot of players. Chad Sexington didn't seem to have problems recruiting members because the members had fun and word gets around. Since I have been on Siege the majority of pvm minded players join up with the White Council. More so because they go out of their way to make newer players feel welcome to Siege.

Kael

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
your either not paying attention or you just dislike me
i try to get involved and not forcing anyone to do aything, as like i just said which you replied to i ask frequently if people want to go on hunts there is no force there is no ill intent what so ever
so again im not understanding that last statement
It's not that I dislike you Sprago....you just seem to go in streaks. All energy to promote Siege and I4NI and then a couple months later you get frustrated and bitter and start to point fingers at others. For example...obviously the only reason people aren't coming out and going on hunts with you when you announce it over chat is because the evil Gilfane has already poisoned their minds against you lol

Raptor85

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Then get involved with NEW man. I'm not sure how effective the books are in recruiting players but i'm pretty sure a member of O-S or I4NI could act also as a NEW representative and show them around the area's that they are familar with including GH's and player towns. O-S looks like a fun guild and the templates/styles they play are certainly appealing to alot of players. Chad Sexington didn't seem to have problems recruiting members because the members had fun and word gets around. Since I have been on Siege the majority of pvm minded players join up with the White Council. More so because they go out of their way to make newer players feel welcome to Siege.
We WERE involved with NEW, that's kinda my point above, i'd be happy to come greet a new player when they join up and explain siege differences like our different factions system, show them guild houses, etc....I've done it before for other players, I'm sure spargo and most others would as well (talk about blowing the mind of a newbie...being led around the shard by a minax red and a COM blue!?!?). If whoever heading NEW now does not have our ICQ numbers, it's in our forum profiles on the information tab, if nobody from the guild is online when you swing by the guildhouse on the tour feel free to send a message. Can I join NEW myself to be an emmy...unfortunately no, I only have a single account active, and moving my character to NEW essentially means I can't play and I wouldn't be able to talk with guildmates while online. It was never an issue before though, all we're asking is to meet these new guys, let them talk with EVERYONE, not just get them in new and they start going out hunting iwth the white council guys immediately, most will want to do that anyways but not even giving them the information about all of our guilds they're only getting to see and meet a portion of the shard's population.

SlobberKnocker

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
interesting. i made a char on seige sometime ago and came in thru NEW. at that time shalimar was and remains the bomb. she helped me out immensley. i joined Gilfane after leaving. i guess i got pointed in that direction by her at the time but i didnt know anyone else. i played for a bit on a char named broadway joe. it was when the tokuno spawn just went live. in the end i stopped playing seige because i had only one account and have a sweet castle spot on a prodo shard which i was not giving up. the lack of ability to possess more storage is the main impediment to getting me to play there more. give me the option to place a small house and i would be back playing more frequently.

chise2

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah the housing situation is a big problem too. But really other then maybe allowing new players a space in our houses there is little we can do about that and most people want their own house anyway not some box in some players house. But EA needs to allow a second house to be placed on Siege nothing full sized or anything but even being allowed just a small plot would help.

Baby Doll

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
:flame: Nothing like throwing gasoline on a fire but I can not resist. As far as NEW goes is it really all that? Yes in the past it has helped countless people. Yes many people have helped NEW by giving there tiime or donating gold, ect..., Honestly though do new commers really need the crutch of joining NEW because reds will leave ya alone for a month. Then when the month is up they can't handle it and are gone. When people hollar out in chat for help more times then not SOMEONE will assist. REDS like Bo, Righty and others might kill ya, but hell they will still help ya , give advise and at times help ya out in- game ****. I myself was NEVER in NEW me and Sprago would be working up skills way back in the no where land and to have the ORCs pop out and drop us. Didn't stop us from continueing to play. I do recall help from certain people from time to time people like Aeric Horn, who hooked me up with full SB and some regs and a freindly hello every now and then. I do not know Hoffs personally, but if it's a headache to run NEW, then be done. I mean ya no offense but I don't think people should waste gametime on things that are not enjoyable. So I do not see a big loss in seeing NEW close down, I think it might breed stronger newcomer that will stay longer then a month. :flame:

Sprago

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's not that I dislike you Sprago....you just seem to go in streaks. All energy to promote Siege and I4NI and then a couple months later you get frustrated and bitter and start to point fingers at others. For example...obviously the only reason people aren't coming out and going on hunts with you when you announce it over chat is because the evil Gilfane has already poisoned their minds against you lol
gilfane is a great guild i wouldnt call them evil ever and GIL members have been on these hunts with me from time to time. your comment was telling me to get involved which i am. This thread was not to pick on gilfane this thread was asking NEW emissaries (not gil) to be more open to show other aspects of the siege other then GIL. Hoff took this as a personal insult being he is the only emmisary currently active which i didnt know

Hoffs, you do great things for this shard but being that your leading the largest guild in siege you have view points that people are gonna listened to which greatly influence peoples decision with out meaning to. example if you play with any NEW do you use a GIL character or do you use your NEW character. not meaning to but doesnt this give them more of a GIL outlook

NEW needs someone to play with them in NEW this is why Shalimar was so good at it she spent the most if not all of her time as Shalimar the NEW guild leader not as a guild leader to another guild who just recruits for NEW

yes i could become and emissary for NEW but i would be doing the same thing, i play sprago as my main i would just be a guild leader who only recruits for NEW thats not what we need.

IanJames

Certifiable
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And Hoffs was very careful to limit his interactions with NEW to Natalia.many times they had no idea he had a GIL character.

chise2

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
:flame: Nothing like throwing gasoline on a fire but I can not resist. As far as NEW goes is it really all that? Yes in the past it has helped countless people. Yes many people have helped NEW by giving there tiime or donating gold, ect..., Honestly though do new commers really need the crutch of joining NEW because reds will leave ya alone for a month. Then when the month is up they can't handle it and are gone. When people hollar out in chat for help more times then not SOMEONE will assist. REDS like Bo, Righty and others might kill ya, but hell they will still help ya , give advise and at times help ya out in- game ****. I myself was NEVER in NEW me and Sprago would be working up skills way back in the no where land and to have the ORCs pop out and drop us. Didn't stop us from continueing to play. I do recall help from certain people from time to time people like Aeric Horn, who hooked me up with full SB and some regs and a freindly hello every now and then. I do not know Hoffs personally, but if it's a headache to run NEW, then be done. I mean ya no offense but I don't think people should waste gametime on things that are not enjoyable. So I do not see a big loss in seeing NEW close down, I think it might breed stronger newcomer that will stay longer then a month. :flame:
YEah I agree with much of this NEW has been a good thing but it may be time to move on. Plenty of people leap to help new players that join up so we really donlt need NEW for that anymore. Other players besides NEW emissaries are also perfectly capable of showing new players around. And we need people that are ready for the dangers of Siege a month of not being attacked is along time really and some probably do get too used to it.

Sprago

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And Hoffs was very careful to limit his interactions with NEW to Natalia.many times they had no idea he had a GIL character.
did he do hunts and activities with NEW members as natalia more then he did with hoffs?

Symma

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You just need to circulate a picture of Doive in a thong... that'll get everyone running to Siege.

IanJames

Certifiable
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Natalia is strictly a NEW emissary. Hoffs is strictly a GIL member. I think the question is irrelevant.

And you're right maybe we don't need NEW now with such a low population. Less headache for everyone, and no one to blame for not getting recruits but yourselves.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
It will be very hard to replace Shalimar. To run a guild like NEW, you need to be online alot and you need a team of co-leader so there always are a NEW leader around. I had been there, I did get burned out. Shalimar had been doing an amazing job. I think it must be almost 10 years ago, sinse I left the guild in her hands.
Maybe someone do have the energi to start op an alternative to NEW or maybe GIL should make a new guild for New SP players, maybe with the same ruleset or something a team of leaders can agree about. I believe there need to be both good and evil players in the leader team. And be warned, if you have a real life and try to run a guild like with only few hours online a day, you will fail, if you not do have a good leader team to help you.
Also, don't try it if you don't know if you still play here in a year or two.

Sprago

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Natalia is strictly a NEW emissary. Hoffs is strictly a GIL member. I think the question is irrelevant.

And you're right maybe we don't need NEW now with such a low population. Less headache for everyone, and no one to blame for not getting recruits but yourselves.
your avoiding the question was he an emissary that played with the guild of NEW or only recruited for the guild then played with GIL as hoffs

IanJames

Certifiable
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I guess I'm not understanding your question. As far as I know Natalia was used to guild people to NEW and get them started. Hoffs played with GIL. The two did not cross.