• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

What constitutes 'consent'?

You're mining in felucca and a red PKs you. You give him a murder count.

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Y

Yalp

Actually, as many have stated, you can still be pk'd in guard zones and in private houses. Therefore, you do still give consent that you can be pk'd anytime you enter fel. You may not be, but you are consenting to the fact that fel has open pvp and you MAY be pk'd because of it. Sure, you can see a pk guardwhacked after he kills you. But you were still pk'd even though you didn't give that specific pk individual consent. Because you gave blanket consent when you enter that facet.
actually.. you can take action to prevent being pk'd in a guard zone. It is possible to attempt pvp with someone in the guard zone, *the outcome is immaterial to the discussion* .. however if you do not consent to the pvp you can PREVENT it but using the mechanism built into the Fel facet ruleset.. that is an exception to * walking through a moongate is consenting to pvp* point of view.

A

Ash

Food for thought:

#1 http://support.ea.com/cgi-bin/ea.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=519

When defining the justice virtue it says:

The benefits of Justice-based protection are only in effect while both characters are within the same non-consensual PvP ruleset area (like Felucca).
#2 http://support.ea.com/cgi-bin/ea.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=10480

Describing Felucca it says:

Any Felucca facet rule set area, excluding guard zones, allows player vs. player combat. This means that combat can be non-consensual and can occur at any time.
#3 http://support.ea.com/cgi-bin/ea.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=288

Another comment about Felucca: (this ref is more implied, by stating other facets are consent only I take that Felucca is non-consensual)

All facets other than Felucca are the "consent only" facets of UO.
#4 http://support.ea.com/cgi-bin/ea.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=221

This also holds true on the Felucca facet, where other players can kill you without your consent.
#5 http://guide.uo.com/start_12.html

In the Exploring section of the playguide: (again I take these as that Trammel and Fel are opposite so if Tram is consensual PvP then Fel is non-consensual)

The world of Britannia is divided into two separate territories – Felucca, the PvP enhanced area, and Trammel, the PvP consent area.
And:

Trammel, the PvP consent area, does not allow non-consensual PvP combat, except in special cases, such as organized guild wars.
So, 3 direct quotes stating Fel is non-consensual PvP and 2 inferred quotes.

At no point does it state Fel is consensual PvP in anyway, other than warn of the risk. And the concept of 'blanket consent' to PvP is negated by the fact there are other reasons beyond PvP to enter Fel. So one entering Fel for other reasons than PvP acknowledges the risk but is still not consenting.

Y

Yalp

What issue? The fact that people don't understand that if they choose to enter Fel they agree to follow the ruleset there? I don't see that as an issue that they need to address, it is more of an issue that people that don't understand that simple fact need to address.

I don't think the devs even have a care that people claim that they aren't consenting to the ruleset just by going to Fel. Because, regardless of what they say on boards like this, they are in fact consenting to that ruleset while they are in fel. Unless they find a bug that circumvents the ruleset of Fel. In which case, the devs should ban the user/s of the bug and then fix it.

I think what the people claiming they don't consent to the ruleset of Fel really mean is that they don't give individual consent to a specific pk to attack them. But they won't admit that because they don't want to be seen as losing an argument on the boards. Myself, on the other hand, can fully accept that people don't give individual consent to a specific pk to attack them even though they do give blanket consent to the ruleset of Fel.
Your points of view are clear and I understand them. I do not, however, agree with them due to my previous points, the exemptions built into the fel ruleset. I understand you would like to be able to convince everyone that your position is correct. However EA's own guide contradicts itself in this matter.

You and others are correct in pointing out that the guide refers to entering the fel rule set is consenting to pvp.. however, others are just as correct in pointing out EA's guide refers to pvp in fel can be non-consentual.

This is a contradiction we can not resolve here, no matter how detailed we get on semantics. The time for understanding each other might have come upon us.

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I agree, people that use bugs or illegal tools to boost their speed/power against other players should be banned. Since you are only consenting to the the ruleset of Fel, that means you aren't individually consenting to cheaters. But of course, not all reds are bug users. Just like some blues are.
That is true. But they are not banned. They are tolerated. There may also be cheaters in Trammel, but they are not able to harm my character. (They can harm the economy, but that's a different issue.)

Of course, not all reds are bug users. But I only seem to meet this kind.

During the past 3 months, I went to Felucca 3 times for the thrill of PvP. First time, I lasted 1 second against a red. I wasn't prepared, my macros sucked, I'm not blaming anybody for cheating. Second time, I was prepared. I got decent equipment. I actually was able to compete. The fight was balanced. But, as soon as I got my opponent down to 10% health, he vanished. He didn't just ride a little faster like me (due to a better connection), he rode about two times as fast. Thus, the fight was endless, until I got bored and left. Thrid time, same thing. I couldn't keep up with their mount speed.

All three times I was faced with smack talk that would have been censored in any message board.

You may tell me that not all reds are like this. But, the ones I met, they are. Thus my prejudice: In Felucca, there is no fairness. There is no respect. There is no fun. If they'd close down Felucca tomorrow, the game wouldn't lose anything but the ability to receive power scrolls (and even those are controlled by reds with spycams).

This statement may not be objective and a slight exaggeration, but it probably reflects the opinion of a lot of (Trammel) players.

D

D'Amavir

actually.. you can take action to prevent being pk'd in a guard zone. It is possible to attempt pvp with someone in the guard zone, *the outcome is immaterial to the discussion* .. however if you do not consent to the pvp you can PREVENT it but using the mechanism built into the Fel facet ruleset.. that is an exception to consenting to pvp.
You are still trying to make a point that no one is disputing. You consent to open pvp by entering fel. If you die to the pk isn't the issue. You consented to being able to be attacked by a pk. In a guard zone or not, you can still be attacked anytime you enter fel.
If you know a way to prevent being attacked in fel, share it.

Y

Yalp

You are still trying to make a point that no one is disputing. You consent to open pvp by entering fel. If you die to the pk isn't the issue. You consented to being able to be attacked by a pk. In a guard zone or not, you can still be attacked anytime you enter fel.
If you know a way to prevent being attacked in fel, share it.
my point is one is acknowledgment the other is consent; and are different

A

Ash

You may tell me that not all reds are like this. But, the ones I met, they are. Thus my prejudice: In Felucca, there is no fairness. There is no respect. There is no fun. If they'd close down Felucca tomorrow, the game wouldn't lose anything but the ability to receive power scrolls (and even those are controlled by reds with spycams).

This statement may not be objective and a slight exaggeration, but it probably reflects the opinion of a lot of (Trammel) players.
Well, I don't think a person can be stereo-typed in such a way. I have met some really cool reds, including one that took the time to teach me a thing or two about PvP, and one that gave me some cool gear to help my suit, and loads that are honest enough to give back stuff they looted that they know the person meant to have insured. On the other hand, i have met more blues than I can care to count that were rude, broke just as many ToS (luring and offensive language), stingy (cursing people out for going to 'their' hunting grounds, unbelievably rude (got cursed out for rez'ing someone and told to go die).

Y

Yalp

Well, I don't think a person can be stereo-typed in such a way. I have met some really cool reds, including one that took the time to teach me a thing or two about PvP, and one that gave me some cool gear to help my suit, and loads that are honest enough to give back stuff they looted that they know the person meant to have insured. On the other hand, i have met more blues than I can care to count that were rude, broke just as many ToS (luring and offensive language), stingy (cursing people out for going to 'their' hunting grounds, unbelievably rude (got cursed out for rez'ing someone and told to go die).
too bad there isn't a separate color for being a jacka$$

D

D'Amavir

Your points of view are clear and I understand them. I do not, however, agree with them due to my previous points, the exemptions built into the fel ruleset. I understand you would like to be able to convince everyone that your position is correct. However EA's own guide contradicts itself in this matter.

You and others are correct in pointing out that the guide refers to entering the fel rule set is consenting to pvp.. however, others are just as correct in pointing out EA's guide refers to pvp in fel can be non-consentual.

This is a contradiction we can not resolve here, no matter how detailed we get on semantics. The time for understanding each other might have come upon us.
Like I have said several times, by consenting to the open pvp ruleset you give a pk consent to attack you without him having to get individual consent to do so. My point from the start is that you consent to the ruleset not the individual pk.

As for uo contradicting themselves, I have also said that many times. After all they say trammel is consent pvp only then turn around and say guild war pvp can be non consensual. Which is why I rely on the dictionary instead.

Omnius

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I love how lots of you are trying to reframe this. Let's be realistic.

Entering fel is consenting to all of the risks and dangers that you may encounter whilst you are in fel. You are saying, not to an individual PK but to the game that you agree to being Attacked, or robbed. Everything you do while in fel has no affect on that one singular overriding contract you made with UO, and that contract incontravertably states that you agree to being attacked or robbed. Now, whether you die or lose things is an entirely different story, that story is wholey dependent on whether or not you choose to take adequate measures into your self defense.

Gildar

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
By not entering Felucca and not joining a guild, you are actively preventing any chance of PvP. We'll call this "Level 0 agreement to PvP".
By entering Felucca or joining a guild, you acknowledge that there is a risk of being attacked and killed by other players. We'll call this "Level 1 agreement to PvP".
By making it clear that you are willing to fight if somebody else wants to attack you, you are actively agreeing to PvP. We'll call this "Level 2 agreement to PvP".
By attacking somebody who doesn't attack first, you are actively seeking PvP. We'll call this "Level 3 agreement to PvP".

You are clearly not involved in "Consensual PvP" at level 0... because there is no PvP.
You are clearly involved in "Consensual PvP" at levels 2 and 3.

If we call level 1 "Consensual PvP", then the only "Non-consensual PvP" is when somebody exploits a bug... which makes the distinction rather pointless. It shouldn't be too hard to see that reason the phrase "non-consensual PvP" even started to exist was to distinguish between Level 1 and Level 2 & 3.

Seriously... is it this hard to accept a simple set of (rather longstanding) phrases to distinguish between different kinds of agreement to PvP?

o2bavr6

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
However EA's own guide contradicts itself in this matter.

To enter Fel you are concenting to the fact that you may be attacked at anytime, anywhere.

When a red attacks you in Fel and you don't want to engage in PvP at that time you are involved in non-conentual PvP.

Lets look at it this way. The other post about reds being allowed in Tram. We were told we made our beds for our playstyle. So it's not like most all trammelites have no idea that they can be pked in Fel, they do know and vociferously state that we made our bed.

So it seems the word "concent" is the big issue here.

In Fel a player can attack another player anywhere anytime. Regardless if that innocent/blue player only wants to enter his house or go to a town, he can still be attacked.

This is one of the oldest rules in UO.

Regarding players who use speed cheats; There are a fair amount of them, but I guarentee you that just as many blues in Fel use these cheats.

Also these cheats have nothing to do with the concentual/non-concentual part of the game. Sadly it is something that doesnt seem to get addressed but we all have to deal with it, even us reds like me who dont use it.

Y

Yalp

I love how lots of you are trying to reframe this. Let's be realistic.

Entering fel is consenting to all of the risks and dangers that you may encounter whilst you are in fel. You are saying, not to an individual PK but to the game that you agree to being Attacked, or robbed. Everything you do while in fel has no affect on that one singular overriding contract you made with UO, and that contract incontravertably states that you agree to being attacked or robbed. Now, whether you die or lose things is an entirely different story, that story is wholey dependent on whether or not you choose to take adequate measures into your self defense.
Not exactly what EA's own guide states about Fel/PVP/Consent issue.

Y

Yalp

To enter Fel you are concenting to the fact that you may be attacked at anytime, anywhere.

When a red attacks you in Fel and you don't want to engage in PvP at that time you are involved in non-conentual PvP.

Lets look at it this way. The other post about reds being allowed in Tram. We were told we made our beds for our playstyle. So it's not like most all trammelites have no idea that they can be pked in Fel, they do know and vociferously state that we made our bed.

So it seems the word "concent" is the big issue here.

In Fel a player can attack another player anywhere anytime. Regardless if that innocent/blue player only wants to enter his house or go to a town, he can still be attacked.

This is one of the oldest rules in UO.

Regarding players who use speed cheats; There are a fair amount of them, but I guarentee you that just as many blues in Fel use these cheats.

Also these cheats have nothing to do with the concentual/non-concentual part of the game. Sadly it is something that doesnt seem to get addressed but we all have to deal with it, even us reds like me who dont use it.
I have said, I see your and D's points.. however I don't agree that the simple act of entering a red moongate is giving your consent to pvp.. there are exceptions to the rule... and therefore it can not be the ONLY act which a player must do to give their consent. You guys have acknowledged that there are exceptions.. yet continue to insist on something that can not possibly be absolute. Something can not be ABSOLUTE yet still have exemptions.... it is a complete impossibility.

Gildar just made an EXCELLENT post about the various levels of consent. Well said Gildar.

C

Connor_Graham

Am I the only one that finds this entire debate asinine?

Really, what's the point?

o2bavr6

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
however I don't agree that the simple act of entering a red moongate is giving your consent to pvp.
Well I think then that you are disagreeing with EA/Mythic not us, they made the rules.

Would you agree that to fix this, they should just put a blurb in the red moongate gump that says you may get attacked anytime when in Fel?

there are exceptions to the rule... and therefore it can not be the ONLY act which a player must do to give their consent. .
What are these exceptions?

You guys have acknowledged that there are exceptions.. yet continue to insist on something that can not possibly be absolute.
I sure didn't I don't even know what they would be.

Nilrem

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As I see it, when passing through the moongate you are only consenting to the Fellucian ruleset.
Which is very different from direct consent in regards to being attacked - you are agreeing to the risk you might be attacked by someone, but that is only part of it, you're also areeing to the the no push through code etc, and you'd have to ask why they have guards in Fell at all (after all if it's a pure PVP consent swtich when going through the gate guards aren't needed any more).

If it truly was consenting to all forms of PVP explicitly then the Dev team would have probably taken out murder counts years ago.

Basically by going through the gate you are accepting risk of being attacked (along with accepting the higher resources, push through code etc), but not giving consent to it in the manner that a dualing system, or order & chaos/guild wars/factions gives consent.

A

Ash

Another example:

http://www.uo.com/cgi-bin/newstools.pl?Article=5870

In a news article about Felucca

1. Establish an area where non-consensual pvp can thrive for a significant number of UO’s players.
So were up to 4 direct quotes stating non-consensual and 2 others where implied.

As long as there remain other reasons to go to Fel, merely entering Fel is acknowledgment of risk and not consent to PvP. If PvP was the only reason to go to Fel, then yes all parties entering would be doing so for the sole purpose of entering into PvP. However as it stands now, there are 2 groups with 1 being there for PvP and the other where it is a by-product of their main purpose/goal.

Y

Yalp

Well I think then that you are disagreeing with EA/Mythic not us, they made the rules.

Would you agree that to fix this, they should just put a blurb in the red moongate gump that says you may get attacked anytime when in Fel?

What are these exceptions?

I sure didn't I don't even know what they would be.
Oh dude.. let's really not go down the road of ignoring previous posts and claiming we don't know the points either side has put out there and demand a rehash/re-argument of exceptions.. just scroll up the page please..

I've already posted my thoughts on EA's own guidelines being contradictory... a well put together post by Ash, just on this page, details the multiple places EA talks abut non-consentual pvp in Fel.. so please.. let's not stoop to this.

D

D'Amavir

Not exactly what EA's own guide states about Fel/PVP/Consent issue.
So do you agree with uo in the guide example where it says that guild war pvp in trammel can be non consensual? Or are you one of those that pick and choose what they say based on if it supports their opinion? As many have shown, uo contradicts themselves a lot on this matter. Another example of that is calling pk'ing murder but only labeling a character a muderer if they pk 5 times in a certain period of time.

C

Connor_Graham

Yet, here we are still reading it!:lol:
Well, you've gotta admit it's funny to see how many people can come up with different ways to say they agree to being attacked but don't agree to get killed. That's one of those things that doesn't get old soon ya know. :thumbsup:

*non PvPr says*

Hey I'm in Fel!

*PvPr says*

Hey, I'm gonna kill and loot you!

*non PvP'r says*

You can attack me, but you can't kill me because I didn't agree to tha......oOoOoOoOoOoO

Y

Yalp

this would be an interesting thread for discussing how to fix it...

Personally, I think it would take more than just putting a gump on the gate....

they might have to eliminate the ability to gank..
they might have to eliminate the ability to exploit guard zones
they might have to eliminate the ability to use houses to hide/attack from
they might have to put the gump on the initial aggressive move toward another player...

just ideas thrown about.....

o2bavr6

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've already posted my thoughts on EA's own guidelines being contradictory... a well put together post by Ash, just on this page, details the multiple places EA talks abut non-consentual pvp in Fel.. so please.. let's not stoop to this.
Well it seems to me that the guidelines are contrdictory in your opinion of how you want it to be interpreted.

This is how I interpret it, albiet I may be wrong but it is how I interpret the EA rules that have been posted in this thread.

It's pretty plain ind simple if you asked me.

Wanting to go to Fell for any other reason other than PvP has nothing to do with it.

Y

Yalp

So do you agree with uo in the guide example where it says that guild war pvp in trammel can be non consensual? Or are you one of those that pick and choose what they say based on if it supports their opinion? As many have shown, uo contradicts themselves a lot on this matter. Another example of that is calling pk'ing murder but only labeling a character a muderer if they pk 5 times in a certain period of time.
that is equvalent to asking you if you've stopped beating your wife....

but to answer your questions...

I don't have any disagreement/agreement on guild wars in tram being consentual/non-consentual... If I am in a guild, and I am at war with another guild, I consent to engaging in hostilities with that guild? yes. tram/fel/tok/malas/ilsh.. doesn't matter too much to me... would be no exceptions?

I also have stated in other threads that its a valid topic to address the murder count system.. whether it works, whether is still belongs in the game, and/or whether it needs to be adjusted because peeps are exploiting it somehow.

There is no doubt.. EA's guide to UO contains inconsistencies.. it's been documented in this thread the inconsistencies of the consentual pvp system.. I have no doubt there are other inconsistencies throughout the document. I myself have not studied to the depth needed to identify all of them.

Gildar

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
however I don't agree that the simple act of entering a red moongate is giving your consent to pvp.

Putting a blurb giving a warning before somebody travels into Felucca guarantees that the person is making an informed decision to accept the risk of being attacked.
The blurb would not, however, make it so you are consenting to PvP with whoever is on the other side of the gate.

If the blurb showed a picture of the people on the other side, said "Bob, Sam, and George are waiting on the other side of this moongate, and they wish to PvP with you. Only enter this gate if you wish to PvP with them.", then going through the moongate would mean you consent to PvPing with Bob, Sam, and George. It would not mean that you consent to PvPing with Joe and Larry, who happen to be walking towards the gate.
Doesn't mean Joe and Larry can't or shouldn't attack you after you go through... it just means you didn't consent to it.

edit::
And why do you say "fix"? What's broken here exactly?
Why shouldn't Felucca allow non-consensual PvP?

Y

Yalp

Well it seems to me that the guidelines are contrdictory in your opinion of how you want it to be interpreted.

This is how I interpret it, albiet I may be wrong but it is how I interpret the EA rules that have been posted in this thread.

It's pretty plain ind simple if you asked me.

Wanting to go to Fell for any other reason other than PvP has nothing to do with it.
Claiming I am interpreting EA's guidelines is being intellectually dishonest.
EA's own guide uses the words consentual and non-consentual.. it's not an interpretation. it is a simple reading of the sentence.

o2bavr6

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
they might have to eliminate the ability to gank..
The other day a guildmate and I were on our reds dismounted and dueling outside way north of Yew gate. 4 Blues ran in and ganked us.
Did we complain? No.
How was their gank any different than a reds gank? other than the color difference of the chars?

they might have to eliminate the ability to exploit guard zones
It's not an exploit, if you dont call guards or if there are no npc's around to call guards, you can be killed in guard zone. This has been part of the game mechanics since day one.

they might have to eliminate the ability to use houses to hide/attack from
They sort of did with the flagging system. But I an tell you that on chessy the only people who hide in the house are blues usually or reds that are terrible at PvP. So in the case that you run accross reds house fighting, you should take the time to kill them if you can, because they aren't good enough to kill you.

they might have to put the gump on the initial aggressive move toward another player...
They have the reverse gump of that which states that you are about to make a criminal act. If anything they should have what i said before; have a gump in the red moongates that warns you about Fel and getting pked.

L

Limlight

Tram - Resources - No PK's

Fel - Double the Resources - PK's

You knew the rules when you came.

CONSENT.

:danceb:

o2bavr6

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Claiming I am interpreting EA's guidelines is being intellectually dishonest.
EA's own guide uses the words consentual and non-consentual.. it's not an interpretation. it is a simple reading of the sentence.

Please read the two paragraphs i wrote carefully, it explains how EA's guideline reads.

o2bavr6

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And why do you say "fix"? What's broken here exactly?
I am only trying to come up with a comprimise for the people who keep talking in circles about concent vs non-concent.

I personally dont think anything is broken here.

Why shouldn't Felucca allow non-consensual PvP?
Yike a double negative... I never said they should stop non-consensual PvP.

I say that if you enter Fel there is the chance that you may get attacked regardless if you want someone to or not, like it has been since 1997.

You can rationalize all you want about who is on the other end of the moongate and who concents to what. I don't see how anyone could misinterpret the following: "If you enter this moongate you accept the fact that people can attack you at will anywhere anytime, by anyone".

Y

Yalp

Please read the two paragraphs i wrote carefully, it explains how EA's guideline reads.

You've written this 14 times.. I understand your point. I do not agree.. based on all the previous posts I have put out there. You can write this same thing 14 more times.. it will not lead to consensus on this thread. Sorry.

o2bavr6

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You've written this 14 times.. I understand your point. I do not agree.. based on all the previous posts I have put out there. You can write this same thing 14 more times.. it will not lead to consensus on this thread. Sorry.
Well it is pretty much copy and paste from EA's guidelines, so you don't agree with them :thumbsup:

Remember I asked why cant reds go to Tram, you said we maid our bed and that, it was EA's rules.

How is this different?

Y

Yalp

Well it is pretty much copy and paste from EA's guidelines, so you don't agree with them :thumbsup:

Remember I asked why cant reds go to Tram, you said we maid our bed and that, it was EA's rules.

How is this different?
well.. you also ignore post #252 and #270 where Ash copied and pasted those pesky EA guidelines which contradict the ones you site.. something I've said needs to be addressed by EA.. and until they do, will result in threads like this one where there is significant disagreement over the terms. Neither you nor I can control that.. and trying to throw it down the opposing sides throats doesn't actually accomplish anything.

Re: the other thread... I never said what you have accused me of here. I did say.. the current system is a cause= effect.. and if theses effects were not working.. then how should they be changed? Eliminating the effect just for the sake of eliminating the effect wasn't going to be a fair/equitable solution to the idea.. so alternatives would need to be offered and acted upon by EA.
You can easily read that in any of my posts in that thread. Just takes a little scrolling though 700 posts or so.

o2bavr6

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
well.. you also ignore post #270
The funny thing about these rules:
http://www.uo.com/cgi-bin/newstools.pl?Article=5870

It states "Establish an area where non-consensual pvp can thrive for a significant number of UO’s players."

There is no mention of the word consensual anywhere other than above.

#'s 3 and 4 and 5 and 7 are wrong and no longer apply.

As well as "When a red character takes stat loss, all short term counts will be wiped." this is wrong too.

So again, I think your beef is with EA/Mythi for outdated and incorret information on their website.

Edit:
And I'm sorry but what is it about post 252 that you have trouble understanding? It says everything I am saying.

Maybe i'm missing the point, who knows.
From what I read this is what I interpreted.
Tram requires concent to PvP
Fel does not require concent to PvP

Did I miss something?

A

Ash

:link:

I have seen quite a few cases where it says Fel and non-consensual PvP.

I have seen where it says if you want to PvP you have to goto Fel.

I haven't seen where it says if you goto Fel you have to PvP, just be aware of the risk.

As long as there exists other reasons to goto Fel (not just scrolls, but quests also that require entering Fel), the mere act of entering Fel is just acknowledgment of the risk associated and not consent to PvP.

EA's documentation states Felucca allows PvP, not that it is a requirement.

I just don't see how one can have Consensual Non-Consensual PvP, and as quoted before EA specifically refers to it as non-consensual repeatedly.

D

D'Amavir

If I am in a guild, and I am at war with another guild, I consent to engaging in hostilities with that guild? yes.
The point many are trying to make on this thread is that you give the same type of consent to engage in hostilities with other characters when you choose to enter Fel. Not sure why we can't get an overall agreement on that point since its pretty clear based on the actual rules (not the words written in the contradictory guide) of the facet and the fact that those rules must be followed anytime you enter the facet.

I also have stated in other threads that its a valid topic to address the murder count system.. whether it works, whether is still belongs in the game, and/or whether it needs to be adjusted because peeps are exploiting it somehow.
Towards that discussion, I personally feel that murder counts, red status and the murderer title should be removed altogether from the game. Since Trammel is available, no one is forced to go to Fel unless they accept the fact that people can attack them freely there. As such, making people 'red' for doing it a certain number of times isn't neccessary. Now, some will argue that that will just create more reds which will drive more people from Fel. I don't agree. I think that the people that want to kill people are going to kill people regardless of the risk of turning red or the risk of getting a murder count from it. So that system isn't really a deterent at all. In fact, as many reds have already stated, murder counts are a source of pride for them. So the fact that there even is a murder count system actually increases the amount of pk'ing. Which goes against the purpose of the system to begin with.

There is no doubt.. EA's guide to UO contains inconsistencies.. it's been documented in this thread the inconsistencies of the consentual pvp system.. I have no doubt there are other inconsistencies throughout the document. I myself have not studied to the depth needed to identify all of them.
On that I can agree. Which is why I haven't used the guide to back up my views, but the dictionary instead. If someone disagrees with the actual definition of a word, there is not much anyone can say to change their mind. Anyone at this point in the 10+ years of the life of UO that plays and doesn't know that by entering Fel they are consenting to an open pvp ruleset that gives other characters the ability to attack them whenever they want will never know.

o2bavr6

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

1) I have seen quite a few cases where it says Fel and non-consensual PvP.

2) I have seen where it says if you want to PvP you have to goto Fel.

3) I haven't seen where it says if you goto Fel you have to PvP, just be aware of the risk.

4) As long as there exists other reasons to goto Fel (not just scrolls, but quests also that require entering Fel), the mere act of entering Fel is just acknowledgment of the risk associated and not consent to PvP.

5) EA's documentation states Felucca allows PvP, not that it is a requirement.

6) I just don't see how one can have Consensual Non-Consensual PvP, and as quoted before EA specifically refers to it as non-consensual repeatedly.
1) That is correct, itmeans that if you go to Fel you may have to PvP someone even ifyou don't want to.

2) This is also mostly correct, to PvP you have to go to Fell, but guild wars and factions can be done in either Tram or Fel.

3) This is also correct, but this doesn not mean that since you went to Fel to do something other than PvP, you don't have to participate in it if someone else wants to attack you. Hence Non-concentual PvP.

4) You may not concent to it in your mind, but the mere fact that you entered Fell means that it may happen to you regardless of how you feel about it.

5) It is not a requirement for you, but it may be a requirement for the Red who wants to PK you ;)

In all seriousness, lets look at it this way.
currently there is an "conflict" going on between Georgia and Russia. There have been a few reporters who were shot during this conflict. These reporters are the blues in Fel to UO.

The reporters aren't truly involved in the conflict, they just want to report it. But they can still be tragets in this conflict as shown in the news.

6) I guess what they are saying is that you understand that when you enter Fell you "agree to" or "understand" the fact that you may be involved in a fight that you "don't want to participate in".

D

D'Amavir

I have seen quite a few cases where it says Fel and non-consensual PvP.

I have seen where it says if you want to PvP you have to goto Fel.

I haven't seen where it says if you goto Fel you have to PvP, just be aware of the risk.
If you go to Fel and someone attacks you, you have to pvp. You may sit there and just let them kill you, but thats still pvp. You consent to the ruleset which allows a character to attack you anytime they want. Thats pretty simple. You might not get attack, true. You might not die when you get attacked, true. But you are always at risk of getting attacked anytime that you consent to the Fel ruleset. No one is saying that you consent to die everytime you go to Fel. That point is accept so you don't have to keep trying to make it. Now all you have to do is accept that you consent to the ruleset of Fel whenever you enter Fel and that part will be done as well. Easy peasy.

As long as there exists other reasons to goto Fel (not just scrolls, but quests also that require entering Fel), the mere act of entering Fel is just acknowledgment of the risk associated and not consent to PvP.
Why you go to Fel doesn't change the rules of Fel. Open pvp means you can be attacked at anytime without giving an individual specific consent to do so. Your general consent to the ruleset of Fel covers that ability just fine. You accept that if someone decides to attack you, they can. That means you consent to pvp by entering Fel.

EA's documentation states Felucca allows PvP, not that it is a requirement.

I just don't see how one can have Consensual Non-Consensual PvP, and as quoted before EA specifically refers to it as non-consensual repeatedly.[/QUOTE]

o2bavr6

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Now, some will argue that that will just create more reds which will drive more people from Fel. I don't agree. I think that the people that want to kill people are going to kill people regardless of the risk of turning red or the risk of getting a murder count from it.
If they changed the rules to where you went perma red after one murder, I think you would see a lot less blues in Fel. Not because they turned red, but because they would rarely show up because they are too afraid to be perma red and wouldnt be able to compete with Red PvPers.

A

Ash

2) This is also mostly correct, to PvP you have to go to Fell, but guild wars and factions an be done in either Tram or Fel.
Factions are Fel only. And will add guilds themselves to your exception, as your guild mates can choose to attack you as well either jokingly or a griefer that infiltrated the guild just to kill in Tram.

6) I guess what they are saying is that you understand that when you enter Fell you "agree" to the fact that you may be involved in a fight that you "don't want to be in".
In my mind acknowledging and agreeing are not the same. I see the point of entering is accepting, I just don't fully share it. I acknowledge the risk but do not accept, therefor I enter with caution and take measures to prevent PvP. (except when I go there for PvP specifically, then I just take measure to make sure I have plenty of gold in the bank :D). To me it is a matter of compliance vs agreement, I am fully capable of complying with rules with which i don't agree.

o2bavr6

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Factions are Fel only.
Heh, well im not in Tram too often or factions so thanks for the corretion :thumbsup:

In my mind acknowledging and agreeing are not the same. I see the point of entering is accepting, I just don't fully share it. I acknowledge the risk but do not accept, therefor I enter with caution and take measures to prevent PvP. (except when I go there for PvP specifically, then I just take measure to make sure I have plenty of gold in the bank :D). To me it is a matter of compliance vs agreement, I am fully capable of complying with rules with which i don't agree.

Good post :thumbsup:

A

Ash

Why you go to Fel doesn't change the rules of Fel. Open pvp means you can be attacked at anytime without giving an individual specific consent to do so. Your general consent to the ruleset of Fel covers that ability just fine. You accept that if someone decides to attack you, they can. That means you consent to pvp by entering Fel.
No, I acknowledge but do not agree. I accept that there is nothing I can do to change the rule set, that doesn't mean i accept the rule set. It means I have little choice. Consent, agreement whatever you want to call it, for me is about choice, and when there are outside factors that choice is compromised. And I will never consider a choice that it is influenced by outside factors as an agreement. There are aspects of the game that can only be completed or acquired in Fel, hence my choice is limited to compliance or miss out on part of the game. To me that is an unfair choice, and thus when I enter Fel for anything other than PvP I feel my decision was made for me and thus I am not agreeing to anything, the powers that be decided for me, all is required of me is acknowledge the risk at that point. We had this discussion early about coercion. Coercion by definition is to cause someone to do things they either don't agree with or wouldn't do without the outside influence. So as long as the reasons for entering Fel are through coercion, there is no agreement just acknowledgment of risk.

D

D'Amavir

To me it is a matter of compliance vs agreement, I am fully capable of complying with rules with which i don't agree.
There is a differnce between agreeing with and agreeing to. You agree to follow the rules of Fel by entering it, and to follow the rules of UO in general by playing. You don't have to agree with those rules to agree to them.

I don't agree with the rules that UO has made regarding how items operate in UO. But, if I want to play, I have to agree to them anyway. I don't have to like it, no more than I have to like any other rule I find wrong.

D

D'Amavir

No, I acknowledge but do not agree. I accept that there is nothing I can do to change the rule set, that doesn't mean i accept the rule set. It means I have little choice. Consent, agreement whatever you want to call it, for me is about choice, and when there are outside factors that choice is compromised. And I will never consider a choice that it is influenced by outside factors as an agreement. There are aspects of the game that can only be completed or acquired in Fel, hence my choice is limited to compliance or miss out on part of the game. To me that is an unfair choice, and thus when I enter Fel for anything other than PvP I feel my decision was made for me and thus I am not agreeing to anything, the powers that be decided for me, all is required of me is acknowledge the risk at that point. We had this discussion early about coercion. Coercion by definition is to cause someone to do things they either don't agree with or wouldn't do without the outside influence. So as long as the reasons for entering Fel are through coercion, there is no agreement just acknowledgment of risk.
That takes us back to agree with versus agree to. I don't agree with the devs' decision to create powerscrolls. But I am forced to agree to that rule because the fact of this game in this day and age is that skills can now go past 100 regardless of if I like it or not.

You obviously clicked yes on the uo code of conduct page or else you couldn't log into the game. Does that mean you agree with every rule that that code contains? No. But it does mean that you agree to follow them regardless. You don't agree with the fact that entering fel means anyone can attack you at anytime while you are there. But by saying ok to the gate gump when you selected Fel you are agreeing to that rule.

As for coercion, why you go to Fel still doesn't change the rules of Fel. Coercion probably isn't the right word to use. I would say it was more enticement. Since they aren't really 'forcing' anyone at all to go to Fel. They are actually enticing you to go there and you are succumbing to that enticement.

A

Ash

As for coercion, why you go to Fel still doesn't change the rules of Fel. Coercion probably isn't the right word to use. I would say it was more enticement. Since they aren't really 'forcing' anyone at all to go to Fel. They are actually enticing you to go there and you are succumbing to that enticement.
I believe coercion fits better as there are reasons to go to Fel that can't be done or obtained by any other means by the game.

Gildar

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Anybody who says simply entering Fel means you consent to PvP, please answer this one question:
What terminology would you prefer to use to distinguish between PvP where (at least) one side doesn't want to fight and PvP where everybody wants to fight?

C

Corrupted Goblin

Anybody who says simply entering Fel means you consent to PvP, please answer this one question:
What terminology would you prefer to use to distinguish between PvP where (at least) one side doesn't want to fight and PvP where everybody wants to fight?
We call it Fellucia

its simple if you enter fel you consent to pvp if you dont enter then you dont have to worry about pvp. How many worlds to the non pvpers really need?

Status
Not open for further replies.