What are your Thoughts on this bushido mage template and suit I came up with?

• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Dan123The123Man

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nov 19, 2004
UO, Atlantic Shard
So im working on a mage suit that will be:

2/6 70 DCI, 100 LRC, 40 LMC, 14 MR, 15 HP Regen, 70s, Fire and Poison Corpse Proof.

Main Artifacts i'll be using:

~Slither (+10 HP, 2 HP Regen)
~Tangle (2 MR, 10 Intel, 5 DCI)
~Bracelet of Health (+10 HP, 10 HP Regen)
That cloak that has (1 MR, 1 HP Regen, 1 Stam Regen, 2 LMC)
~Night Eyes (10 DCI, 3 FCR)
~Conjurors Garb (2 MR, 5 DCI)
~Non Rep LT Sash (2 MR, 10 LRC, +5 Int)
~Ring of Soulbinder (1 FC, 3 FCR, 15 DCI, 10 SDI, 2 MR, 10 LRC)
~Protector of the Battle Mage (3% Casting focus, 2 MR, 5 SDI, 8 LMC, 10 LRC, 10/16/10/8/8 res)
~ Arcane Shield (Spell Channeling, 1 FC, 15 DCI)

The rest of the pieces are imbued. The thing about it though is basically the suit is built with a weapon AND Arcane Shield. The ring is Soulbinder and Bracelet is Bracelet of Health.

The weapon will be Bloodwood with 2 HP Regen, SC with other mods and only 10 DCI though. I figure if I could fit anything else on it then to have hit spell, SSI, or Hit Lower Def so I can nerve strike easier. If I went with the SSI route I was thinking maybe go with SSI but that hit lower def sounds sexy, what do yall think though?

The template I was thinking of running this with would be:

120 magery
120 eval
120 resist
120 meditation
120 swords
120 bushido

I thought about maybe dropping 120 Meditation to just 20 for 100 scribe or 100 anatomy incase I got disarmed. I didn't see any point in it though since i'm going to have to rely on having that bokuto in my hand cause without it ill only be 60 DCI. I think i'd also end up having mana issues since i'll only have 14 MR on suit.

The other thing is that there will be no EP on the suit. Since i'll have a wep in hand and a shield on I wont be able to chug pots, BUT I can still eat apples even with both hands full. I'll be able to use Confidence, Evade and nerve strike... What do yall think, could this be good at all? I've honestly never had HP Regen on a mage suit, let alone 15 on a bush mage where supposedly it stacks with confidence? I figure if I gotta run or after I get dpd if I cant get an arch cure off I could just run in circles using Confidence (lol). What do yall think though, does this sound good at all?

Or I suppose if not the Bushido Route I could go with:

120 Magery
120 Eval
120 Resist
120 Meditation
120 Wrestling
100 Inscribe
20 Focus

and instead of using a mage wep I could use an invasion spellbook with 10 DCI? I would only have 13 HP Regen since I wouldnt have any on the spellbook but I would have inscribe for more spell dmg, but id lose confidence, evasion, nerve strike AND the lesser hiryu :/... If I got disarmed though and hit with hit lower def id get dropped down to 35 DCI but it wouldnt be like I have no combat skill cause id have wrestling anyway. I dont know what do yall think?

C

Cloak&Dagger

So, opinion about Bushido template. You will be hard on for something...assume it should be a semi group event? Adding anatomy instead of med could be a good deal, because you have a damage boost from the bok and you gain a disarmed defense. But then you are hard on for mana.

Alot of that template relies on your ability to play it of course, I am not aware of your abilities and as such can say if it is right for you. In a 2+ situation it could be useful, 1 vs "x" it does have some potential for staying alive assuming you are accustomed to playing any type of mage template solo (plus confidence).

That is only my opinion and take it as an analytical approach and not a practical one as I am by no means an expert on a bush mage template at all.

Dan123The123Man

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nov 19, 2004
UO, Atlantic Shard
So do you think I should use an Invasion spellbook with 10 DCI and go with Wrestling instead of Swords and Bushido or what do I do man? I think HP Regen will help with casting heals and stuff but ive heard it really shines when using Confidence, and I get ganked a LOT on Atlantic Shard at the fel yew gate. A few of the guilds in fel yew just wont come out to play unless they have 2+ members online, me being by myself I kind of have to expect to get ganked ya know? If im going to rely on a one handed wep though I might as well use a mage wep to save 120 points IMO. Since im not using a crystaline though then I would only have like 100 Magery instead of 120 if I used a mage wep. That would mess with my chance to poison people and mess with the amount I heal for. So with the gear im using I dont see a way to go with a mage wep.

I just found it EXTREMELY hard to build this paticular suit with 15 HP Regen, 14 MR, corpse proof AND 70 DCI. I coudln't do it with only a Shield or only a Weapon. I had to use both, that much HP Regen and MR takes up a lot of mods on the suit but I think its interesting at the same time cause I dont think many people are running with that much.

C

Cloak&Dagger

So do you think I should use an Invasion spellbook with 10 DCI and go with Wrestling instead of Swords and Bushido or what do I do man? I think HP Regen will help with casting heals and stuff but ive heard it really shines when using Confidence, and I get ganked a LOT on Atlantic Shard at the fel yew gate. A few of the guilds in fel yew just wont come out to play unless they have 2+ members online, me being by myself I kind of have to expect to get ganked ya know? If im going to rely on a one handed wep though I might as well use a mage wep to save 120 points IMO. Since im not using a crystaline though then I would only have like 100 Magery instead of 120 if I used a mage wep. That would mess with my chance to poison people and mess with the amount I heal for. So with the gear im using I dont see a way to go with a mage wep.

I just found it EXTREMELY hard to build this paticular suit with 15 HP Regen, 14 MR, corpse proof AND 70 DCI. I coudln't do it with only a Shield or only a Weapon. I had to use both, that much HP Regen and MR takes up a lot of mods on the suit but I think its interesting at the same time cause I dont think many people are running with that much.
Honestly, if you think you are able to play it I would try it. It looks interesting at the very least, I know what you mean about ATL but then again that is all shards heh. If you have the suit built already, then go with this template, or try it out on test first if you are worried about possibly wasting your time. If you don't have the suit built you should test it for sure, and also feel confident in your ability to play it (as I said survival it seems like it should be able to assuming you know how to play any kind of mage template.)

I assume the non bushido character wont be human? or the 20 extra points wont matter, you could always do anatomy 100 instead of wrestling, then you get an extra 20 points in focus (or any skill you wish, personally 40 SW would be my skill of choice from a survival point of view)

Dan123The123Man

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nov 19, 2004
UO, Atlantic Shard
So you think that I should go with the Wrestling or Anatomy and inscribe instead of Bush and Swords? I suppose I could just try to weaken a poison when I see someone casting it but right now on test earlier yesterday I came acrossed a nox necro mage that just kept Evil Omening and poisoning... It was impossible for me to cure it with regular cure and coudlnt ever get an arch cure off with him disrupting me. I suppose I could have went protection everytime but thats all the guy did was spam this omen + poison over and over. I didn't know how to really fight him except make sure I disrupt the poison, but eventually hes bound to land one of them.

I had thought evil omen only lasted a few seconds but even after running for a few secs and back to him he was able to land a higher lvl poison. With that omen to its a garuntee no matter what to poison I think. I was a scribe wrestle mage when I was fighting him, hell he didnt even use any other necro spells except omen and poison LOL! You would really go for that though and use a spellbook/shield vs bushido where you atleast have confidence? If not swords how about this?

120 Magery
120 Eval
120 Resist
120 Meditation
120 Bushido
100 Anatomy (instead of swords so you still have combat skill when disarmed? Not to mention according to UOGuide Anatomy is one of the skills that determins how long your Evasion lasts?)

Even without the swords with 120 bush you will still be able to use Confidence, I think Evasion... It doesnt say on UOGuide that Evasion requires you to have parrying or anything. You wouldnt have Nerve Strike though either since no Swords. When a dexer disarms you and hits you with hit lower defense though I think thats what would really kill it, but vs mages I dont really see a way for them to kill you especially if your on mount and using confidence. I dont know man, I NEED SOME MORE INPUT!

My stats self blessed no pots are:

142/11/165 (as a human)

icm420

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jul 28, 2008
Not to burst your bubble.. but don't you need tactics to do nervestrike..making your original idea not doable..usually a bushido mage has no resist or no med.

Also evade does work without parry, I have a friend who plays a bush macer no parry and he evades.. not like the 120 parry guys but he evades pretty well. And if you use a shield with bushido you get a -25 DCI pen.

I personally would avoid the whole bok mage temp..it could work, I have seen some really nasty ones, but usually they don't do much. Try out something that takes advantage of the poison or parry. A parry scribe anat mage is a tank, 40SDI with non disarmable parry defense is just unfair.

I am working on some sort of a fencer nox mage, I love the hybrid classes that attack and cast. My idea is to try out 70/90fencing with 70tactics use a kryss mage weapon. I need to test it out more but you should get 120 weapon threw mage weapon and can special off it with poison and AI. I should say I assume that would work..

IF you really really want to do the bok mage I would try this
120mage
120eval
120(100)swords
90tactics
120bushido
120parry or resist
50med

Bok obviously and No-Dachi for dismount. NO SHIELD.. bushido is all about weapon blocking and using the shield gives you a huge DCI pen. Need high HCI tho and some decent damage increase. I would make a bok that is 15DCI and mayb 15HCI, then enhance with yew to get the HCI up another 5 points...I know you went with the HPR stuff.. but why bother with trying to hit someone and have no HCI.. this is the part with hybrids thats so hard, you need everything on the suit.

As for the evil omen + poison guy, that template has been around for a long time it just never worked the best because of the cure potions. Evil Omen turns your resist spells to half of what it is, so 120 resist=60 and then boosts the level of poison by one. So up close evil omen + poison = lethal mage poison you can't get away from.

Also it would be nice to know how your playstyle/group looks. If you are a solo player you will need resist and med. If you play in a huge group then you don't need either. Also is this for a red or a blue and yew gate or despise? All of this stuff doesn't really change a whole lot but it can be important. If you find your mage can't hold fields in a choke.. you won't be worthwhile in those situations, etc.

But the bottom line is play what you enjoy. I'm rocking alchemy scribe right now just because I love it. I die a lot and act like a noob but I don't care anymore, I love chucking potions at people so I play it.

C

Cloak&Dagger

Not to burst your bubble.. but don't you need tactics to do nervestrike..making your original idea not doable..usually a bushido mage has no resist or no med.

Also evade does work without parry, I have a friend who plays a bush macer no parry and he evades.. not like the 120 parry guys but he evades pretty well. And if you use a shield with bushido you get a -25 DCI pen.

I personally would avoid the whole bok mage temp..it could work, I have seen some really nasty ones, but usually they don't do much. Try out something that takes advantage of the poison or parry. A parry scribe anat mage is a tank, 40SDI with non disarmable parry defense is just unfair.

I am working on some sort of a fencer nox mage, I love the hybrid classes that attack and cast. My idea is to try out 70/90fencing with 70tactics use a kryss mage weapon. I need to test it out more but you should get 120 weapon threw mage weapon and can special off it with poison and AI. I should say I assume that would work..

IF you really really want to do the bok mage I would try this
120mage
120eval
120(100)swords
90tactics
120bushido
120parry or resist
50med

Bok obviously and No-Dachi for dismount. NO SHIELD.. bushido is all about weapon blocking and using the shield gives you a huge DCI pen. Need high HCI tho and some decent damage increase. I would make a bok that is 15DCI and mayb 15HCI, then enhance with yew to get the HCI up another 5 points...I know you went with the HPR stuff.. but why bother with trying to hit someone and have no HCI.. this is the part with hybrids thats so hard, you need everything on the suit.

As for the evil omen + poison guy, that template has been around for a long time it just never worked the best because of the cure potions. Evil Omen turns your resist spells to half of what it is, so 120 resist=60 and then boosts the level of poison by one. So up close evil omen + poison = lethal mage poison you can't get away from.

Also it would be nice to know how your playstyle/group looks. If you are a solo player you will need resist and med. If you play in a huge group then you don't need either. Also is this for a red or a blue and yew gate or despise? All of this stuff doesn't really change a whole lot but it can be important. If you find your mage can't hold fields in a choke.. you won't be worthwhile in those situations, etc.

But the bottom line is play what you enjoy. I'm rocking alchemy scribe right now just because I love it. I die a lot and act like a noob but I don't care anymore, I love chucking potions at people so I play it.
I am not aware of an actual DCI penalty, only a parry penalty, so with his template using a shield shouldn't matter. He is a solo player most if not all of the time btw. And he mentioned yew....not sure if that is his prime goal or not though. But I agree with you, play what you enjoy I have so many messed up templates, half of which stay alive so well but have no offensive skills at all its kinda funny to watch people try and kill it even though it poses no No threat.

I am not sure if his goal is to hit people with the bok or not, I think he was looking for mostly defense (hence no tactics?).

Dan that mage/med/eval/bush/anat/resist Looks better than your previous one as far as over all surviving, but you can't use evasion with having a weapon skill I thought? but confidence would still work for sure. as icm said it would be good to know a few details about what you are trying to do with the template, it lacks sufficient offensive ability to really kill anyone, but it has better than normal defensive abilities (magery healing/curing- Bushido Confidence- undisarmable defense, things like that)

Dan123The123Man

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nov 19, 2004
UO, Atlantic Shard
Ok I changed the suit and template some. I just need to imbue 3 pieces of armor and I will be

2/7 70s Fire and poison corpse proof, 100 lrc 40 lmc 14 hp regen 14 mr (17 mr with spellbook) 70 DCI 15 sdi. +15 HP

Suit made without a weapon or spellbook but made with arcane shield..

Template:

120 Mage
120 Eval
120 Resist
120 Med
120 Wrestling
120 Bushido

I thought I could just use Confidence with Bushido but are you saying I will passively have a -25% DCI by having Bushido Skill if I use the arcane shield and no weapon? Or will I have a -25% DCI if I use the arcane shield and a spellbook? I dont follow on how that all works, can you explain some more.

This new suit I came up with will be made WITHOUT a spellbook or weapon so it allows you to chug potions ^_^. This would be for fel yew gate fighting Solo. That way if I need to run from a DP Spamming dexer or from a gank ill have Confidence and can chug potions without the book in hand. I'll also be able to disarm but its so dang slow swinging I dont even rely on it. I tested the 120 Bushido with Confidence and 14 HP Regen on TC1 yesterday and I must say it regens QUICK, in 1-2 seconds you go from half to full health very quickly. Even if you are DPd from infectious strike it will heal through that poison to fast for the poison to really kill you. The poison tick is so slow (I think like every 5 seconds) when its deadly or lethal poison and confidence will heal you up right through it.

The suit that I built above is ALL NON FACTION. This character is a Blue and will be NON FACTION. Right now he is an Elf so since I hardly use Disarm with wrestling (because I swing so dang slow, sometimes I get killed by the dexer waiting for me to hit him). If I decide to stay Elf I could go GM Anatomy instead of 120 wrestling and put the other 20 points into Focus... Stats as Elf are:

142/11/185 blessed, no pots. Right now though I dont mind being Elf... Sure I cant use gift of renewal and crap but im absolutelly fine with that, the HP Regen and confidence from bushido should be more then enough... As well as if I want to use potions as a backup.... I know I could always ditch the bushido and pickup scribe, use a 30 SDI invasion book and be 40 SDI. I would still have the 14 HP Regen but the confidence I really dont wanna lose that, I was having so much fun with it and I could really see how it would save me if im being ganked.... Then again... If im going to use potions (which im not even a fan of) I technically dont need confidence and I could go with scribe... Confidence tho I just like cause Potions are such a hastle everytime u die if u rely on them. What do yall think? Should I go with the template above?

120 Mage
120 Eval
120 Resist
120 Med
120 Wrestling
120 Bushido

As far as the necro mage that was omen poisoning. I know it has been around really forever but whats making it SO annoying is when the necro mage has poisoning with it garunteeing to go up a level in poison means you either 1. Drink a greater cure potion or 2. use Arch Cure... Since I revamped this suit and am in the process of obtaining those last three pieces, I will be carrying Greater Cure potions... As for the bushido (Confidence) vs Inscribe I dont know. If I go the inscribe route the only way I will get to 30 SDI from 15 is if I use a spellbook and that would make it so I cant chug. I am 15 SDI but bushido mages the cap is at 15... For pure mages the cap is 30. The only way for me to get to 30 is using a spellbook and then I would gain an additional 10% from GM inscribe...

Again though, I would lose the ability to chug potions if I aimed for the 40 SDI (30 from focus class and 10 from scribe). If I stayed with the Bushido ill be able to chug but only be 15 SDI... OR I could drop Bushido and go Scribe and just stay with 25 SDI (10 from scribe and 15 from suit) and just not use a spellbook to gain the other sdi. Its basically like Confidence from Bushido (which will heal through even mortal strike I believe. Or 10% SDI. (I think 10% SDI only makes a 1 or 2 damage difference on spells like explode and fs, I dont think all the way up to 4th circle it even makes a difference in damage). What do yall think?

REMEMBER:

Suit is built with a shield so even if I went for the parry scribe anatomy mage template the only way I could reach 40 SDI is by using a spellbook and giving up my ability to chug potions. Now I can still eat Apples with both hands full but I not only give up potions I also give up a lot more... You see this suit with 14 HP Regen and 14 MR built without a spellbook is specifically designed to have a lot of HP Regen. In order to go parry you will need a lot more bonus to stats that this suit just does posess, being an elf it might help im not sure though. But again I would be casting arch cures a LOT from DP and be burning lots of mana in the process. With Confidence you can run off, heal through ANYTHING and come back. Or have the extra 10 SDI? Yall need to read this new post here i'm making and tell me what you think.

icm420

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jul 28, 2008
Ok I changed the suit and template some. I just need to imbue 3 pieces of armor and I will be

2/7 70s Fire and poison corpse proof, 100 lrc 40 lmc 14 hp regen 14 mr (17 mr with spellbook) 70 DCI 15 sdi. +15 HP

Suit made without a weapon or spellbook but made with arcane shield..

Template:

120 Mage
120 Eval
120 Resist
120 Med
120 Wrestling
120 Bushido

I thought I could just use Confidence with Bushido but are you saying I will passively have a -25% DCI by having Bushido Skill if I use the arcane shield and no weapon? Or will I have a -25% DCI if I use the arcane shield and a spellbook? I dont follow on how that all works, can you explain some more.

This new suit I came up with will be made WITHOUT a spellbook or weapon so it allows you to chug potions ^_^. This would be for fel yew gate fighting Solo. That way if I need to run from a DP Spamming dexer or from a gank ill have Confidence and can chug potions without the book in hand. I'll also be able to disarm but its so dang slow swinging I dont even rely on it. I tested the 120 Bushido with Confidence and 14 HP Regen on TC1 yesterday and I must say it regens QUICK, in 1-2 seconds you go from half to full health very quickly. Even if you are DPd from infectious strike it will heal through that poison to fast for the poison to really kill you. The poison tick is so slow (I think like every 5 seconds) when its deadly or lethal poison and confidence will heal you up right through it.

The suit that I built above is ALL NON FACTION. This character is a Blue and will be NON FACTION. Right now he is an Elf so since I hardly use Disarm with wrestling (because I swing so dang slow, sometimes I get killed by the dexer waiting for me to hit him). If I decide to stay Elf I could go GM Anatomy instead of 120 wrestling and put the other 20 points into Focus... Stats as Elf are:

142/11/185 blessed, no pots. Right now though I dont mind being Elf... Sure I cant use gift of renewal and crap but im absolutelly fine with that, the HP Regen and confidence from bushido should be more then enough... As well as if I want to use potions as a backup.... I know I could always ditch the bushido and pickup scribe, use a 30 SDI invasion book and be 40 SDI. I would still have the 14 HP Regen but the confidence I really dont wanna lose that, I was having so much fun with it and I could really see how it would save me if im being ganked.... Then again... If im going to use potions (which im not even a fan of) I technically dont need confidence and I could go with scribe... Confidence tho I just like cause Potions are such a hastle everytime u die if u rely on them. What do yall think? Should I go with the template above?

120 Mage
120 Eval
120 Resist
120 Med
120 Wrestling
120 Bushido

As far as the necro mage that was omen poisoning. I know it has been around really forever but whats making it SO annoying is when the necro mage has poisoning with it garunteeing to go up a level in poison means you either 1. Drink a greater cure potion or 2. use Arch Cure... Since I revamped this suit and am in the process of obtaining those last three pieces, I will be carrying Greater Cure potions... As for the bushido (Confidence) vs Inscribe I dont know. If I go the inscribe route the only way I will get to 30 SDI from 15 is if I use a spellbook and that would make it so I cant chug. I am 15 SDI but bushido mages the cap is at 15... For pure mages the cap is 30. The only way for me to get to 30 is using a spellbook and then I would gain an additional 10% from GM inscribe...

Again though, I would lose the ability to chug potions if I aimed for the 40 SDI (30 from focus class and 10 from scribe). If I stayed with the Bushido ill be able to chug but only be 15 SDI... OR I could drop Bushido and go Scribe and just stay with 25 SDI (10 from scribe and 15 from suit) and just not use a spellbook to gain the other sdi. Its basically like Confidence from Bushido (which will heal through even mortal strike I believe. Or 10% SDI. (I think 10% SDI only makes a 1 or 2 damage difference on spells like explode and fs, I dont think all the way up to 4th circle it even makes a difference in damage). What do yall think?

REMEMBER:

Suit is built with a shield so even if I went for the parry scribe anatomy mage template the only way I could reach 40 SDI is by using a spellbook and giving up my ability to chug potions. Now I can still eat Apples with both hands full but I not only give up potions I also give up a lot more... You see this suit with 14 HP Regen and 14 MR built without a spellbook is specifically designed to have a lot of HP Regen. In order to go parry you will need a lot more bonus to stats that this suit just does posess, being an elf it might help im not sure though. But again I would be casting arch cures a LOT from DP and be burning lots of mana in the process. With Confidence you can run off, heal through ANYTHING and come back. Or have the extra 10 SDI? Yall need to read this new post here i'm making and tell me what you think.

I pulled this off stratics website, I am wrong the penalty is not with DCI it is with parry % ...

"Example: If you have a Bushido skill of 90 and a parry skill of 100, your base chance to block with a one handed weapon will be 18.75% chance to block, plus 5% for parry being 100, for a total of 23.75% chance to block. Your two handed parry at the same skill will be 21.88% chance to block, plus 5% more for a total of 26.88% chance to block with a two handed weapon. If you use a shield with the same figures, your chance to block will be 2.5% plus 5% for a total of 7.5% chance to block with a shield. In other words, as a samurai, your chance to block worsens with a shield."

If you do parry on a bushido mage, use a staff of the magi or something. I remember fighting a guy with a template like that and he was really really hard to hit.

As for the 15sdi vs 40sdi.. to me that's a no brainer..40 is better. Even more so if you are solo playing. But that is a template choice, I go for power over defense usually. If you use alchemy for example you don't have to run away from the noxxer because he has to sit in a firefield ticking 10-12 damage a sec. If you use poison you can drop fields on you and the noxxer won't be able to heal very well. Summon a demon, drop a para field in a choke, etc etc etc. That's the thing with UO, so many differnt ways to accomplish the same goal.

IDK try it out good luck with it keep us posted!

Dan123The123Man

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nov 19, 2004
UO, Atlantic Shard
I know this but not trying to acuse you of just SCIMMING what I posted. I said above that if I go with the 40 SDI (with scribe) I will have to use a spellbook and since im already using a shield I WONT be able to CHUG if I go with that route... Right now i'm playing the bushido with confidence thing and it seems pretty nice. Im waiting for character xfer t ocome back up to put this suit on test... Id really like to have 40 SDI with scribe but id be giving up my ability to chug pots. I dont even chug right now but I really dont have to since I have confidence and if I cant get an arch cure off just run for a few and do confidence. I have noticed a huge difference though in damage output because I dont have 40 SDI. My flamestrikes are like 36-38 where as with 40 SDI they would be like 44-45. An example is with 40 SDI I was able to drop people below half health with only explotion and flamestrike, with only 15 though it puts them like right at half health.

So I CAN give up my ability to chug for 40 SDI but I mean should I? Or should I keep confidence with bushido and only go 15 SDI? Or maybe even go 120 Chivalry since Cleanse by Fire works just like an arch cure but casts as fast as a regular cure when ur 2/6 chiv. Id also have Remove Curse that casts like Arch Cure at 2/6. Id only have 15 SDI though if I went the chivalry route as well.

I mean say if I get dismounted, the Confidence probly WONT help me vs players on mounts chasing me. With chivalry though if I get dismounted I can still cure DP with cleanse by fire like 90% of the time. And I can remove curse, but chances are I get dismounted in a gank and im done anyway lol. It depends tho cause with Cleanse by fire I coudl cure my mount and hop on super quick, without arch curing.

Scribe would really help but I cant chug potions if I go with 40 SDI. With chivalry I dont even need to chug potions but I can because I woudlnt need the spellbook for extra SDI.

Ok I just soulstoned off 120 Bushido and put on GM Scribe, with my 30 SDI spellbook in hand and 15 SDI from my suit I have 40 SDI for pvp. I cursed myself and cast flamestrike over and over.. These are the results I got:

44, 44, 46, 47, 44, 46, 44, 42, 40, 42, 41, 41, 41, 41, curse wore off.

WITHOUT GM Inscribe these are the results I got after I cursed myself:

37, 38, 39, 38, 38, 36, 38, 38, 39, 36, 37, 36, 39, 36

So the 40 SDI in pvp vs 15 sdi does make a pretty big difference for like flamestrike for sure. I wont be able to chug potions though so ill have to basically rely on Arch Cure... If I get a nox necro mage fighting me spamming omen poison and lethal poisoning like everytime then i'm done for. Arch Cure is way to easy to disrupt. If I went chivalry instead of scribe I could use cleanse by fire and cure his lethal like 90% of the time at the same speed as a regular cure. I could then remove curse with apples and the spell and be able to Chug Pots if I need to run off screen. I woudlnt be 40 SDI though. If I go bushido I kind of feel like thats begging to need to run off screen, but it would help in a gank situation. I kind of feel like its a waste of points though considering heal/cure potions would basically take care of that confidence. I'm mostly solo though but I do get ganked. If I go scribe ill gain 40 SDI but WITH both hands full! I woudlnt be able to chug.

I have noticed Nerve Strike dexers have been rocking me if I cant chug potions or use confidence.

Bushido I only use for Confidence but potions could do the same thing. So i'm almost trying to decide between chiv or scribe. Chiv I can remove curse and cure anything like 90% of the time at the same speed of a regular cure and i'd be able to chug. I could also holy light spam if they wanna keep running. Scribe I get 40 SDI but can't chug and i'd only be able to use apples.

With Chiv I aint gotta carry 60 greater cure pots cause the cure would work like 90% of the time. I'd only have to carry greater heals and apples if I felt like it (since I could cast remove curse). Chiv you also get a mass dispel while running that uses only 10 mana where as magery mass dispel is 40 and you cant run while casting it. (nice imo incase ur on foot and a colossal is on u or deamon o rsomething.

So what do you do in this kind of situation, what route with the template do you go?

Bushido, Scribe, or Chivalry?

curlybeard

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jun 29, 2006
Great Lakes
Swap wrestling for parry and add 50 weapon skill for the type of 2-H -0 skill mage weapon you carry. 50 weapon skill will let you use lightning strike, evade might also need 50 weapon skill.

slayer888

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jun 28, 2008
So im working on a mage suit that will be:

2/6 70 DCI, 100 LRC, 40 LMC, 14 MR, 15 HP Regen, 70s, Fire and Poison Corpse Proof.

Main Artifacts i'll be using:

~Slither (+10 HP, 2 HP Regen)
~Tangle (2 MR, 10 Intel, 5 DCI)
~Bracelet of Health (+10 HP, 10 HP Regen)
That cloak that has (1 MR, 1 HP Regen, 1 Stam Regen, 2 LMC)
~Night Eyes (10 DCI, 3 FCR)
~Conjurors Garb (2 MR, 5 DCI)
~Non Rep LT Sash (2 MR, 10 LRC, +5 Int)
~Ring of Soulbinder (1 FC, 3 FCR, 15 DCI, 10 SDI, 2 MR, 10 LRC)
~Protector of the Battle Mage (3% Casting focus, 2 MR, 5 SDI, 8 LMC, 10 LRC, 10/16/10/8/8 res)
~ Arcane Shield (Spell Channeling, 1 FC, 15 DCI)

The rest of the pieces are imbued. The thing about it though is basically the suit is built with a weapon AND Arcane Shield. The ring is Soulbinder and Bracelet is Bracelet of Health.

The weapon will be Bloodwood with 2 HP Regen, SC with other mods and only 10 DCI though. I figure if I could fit anything else on it then to have hit spell, SSI, or Hit Lower Def so I can nerve strike easier. If I went with the SSI route I was thinking maybe go with SSI but that hit lower def sounds sexy, what do yall think though?

The template I was thinking of running this with would be:

120 magery
120 eval
120 resist
120 meditation
120 swords
120 bushido

I thought about maybe dropping 120 Meditation to just 20 for 100 scribe or 100 anatomy incase I got disarmed. I didn't see any point in it though since i'm going to have to rely on having that bokuto in my hand cause without it ill only be 60 DCI. I think i'd also end up having mana issues since i'll only have 14 MR on suit.

The other thing is that there will be no EP on the suit. Since i'll have a wep in hand and a shield on I wont be able to chug pots, BUT I can still eat apples even with both hands full. I'll be able to use Confidence, Evade and nerve strike... What do yall think, could this be good at all? I've honestly never had HP Regen on a mage suit, let alone 15 on a bush mage where supposedly it stacks with confidence? I figure if I gotta run or after I get dpd if I cant get an arch cure off I could just run in circles using Confidence (lol). What do yall think though, does this sound good at all?

Or I suppose if not the Bushido Route I could go with:

120 Magery
120 Eval
120 Resist
120 Meditation
120 Wrestling
100 Inscribe
20 Focus

and instead of using a mage wep I could use an invasion spellbook with 10 DCI? I would only have 13 HP Regen since I wouldnt have any on the spellbook but I would have inscribe for more spell dmg, but id lose confidence, evasion, nerve strike AND the lesser hiryu :/... If I got disarmed though and hit with hit lower def id get dropped down to 35 DCI but it wouldnt be like I have no combat skill cause id have wrestling anyway. I dont know what do yall think?
I am assuming you want this for PVP?

I think that bushido mage is really hard to customize especially in the HCI and DCI side:-

But here's my current template:-

110 magery
120 evalint
100 resisting
110 sword (120) [+10 on jewel]
90 tactics
110 bushido
80 ninja (90) [+10 on jewel]

ring =
+10 skill
25 ep
fc 1
dci
sdi 9

bracelet =
+10 skill
25 ep
fc 1
fcr 3
dci

hat = 15 hci
gorget = imbue
leg = 20 dci
tunic = 15 lmc
sleeve = imbue
glove = fcr 3

talisman = 10 hci
robe = 3 hci 3 dci 3 sdi
cloak = 5 ssi 3 sdi 1 lmc
weapon = 17 hci

Basically, this will net you 40 lmc, 45 hci, around 45 dci, (not 100 lrc) so you have to carry reagents [its okay because its just only magery and not necro/mysticism reg we're talking about]

The reason I make this template is because I can be quite balanced in many situations:-

Offense:-
magery
nerve strike
disarm
bleed
poison dart/shuriken
etc....

Defense:-
magery
confidence
evasion (very low % chance but still okay)
disarm
mirror image (if got dismount)
animal form (if got dismount)
avoid 100% mana vamp (due to 100 resisting)
avoid para (due to dart box)

Most people just go for the following in pvp:-

120 magery
120 evalint
120 resist
120 sword
120 tactics
120 bushido

But i find this not balanced enough due to getting dismounted = much more easy to game over.

C

Cloak&Dagger

Swap wrestling for parry and add 50 weapon skill for the type of 2-H -0 skill mage weapon you carry. 50 weapon skill will let you use lightning strike, evade might also need 50 weapon skill.
He is not using a 2 handed mage weapon on any of the templates he suggested....he also said he just built the suit, so to try and modify his template/idea based on that.

slayer, He is not trying to use Bushido offensively, so HCI is not a problem, nothing wrong with your templates or advice, just stating what he is trying to do.

@dan, can you not just use a spellbook instead of a shield to get the same results in your suit? I realize you run the risk of being disarmed, but you still keep the ability to pot.

Edit: Never mind, you can't get the sdi and the dci you need my bad.

slayer888

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jun 28, 2008
Hi dan, as Cloak as mentioned, you're not looking for offense as in nerve strike mage, so after looking at your post, you're trying to be 30 SDI and at the same time with 70 dci?

Hmm.. quite hard, but try and see if below would work:-

120 bushido <-- cannot (because this will not enable to reach 30 SDI cap)

120 magery
120 evalint
120 parry
120 anatomy
120 healing
120 resisting

ring:
25 ep
fc 1
sdi
dci
lrc/resist

bracelet:
25 ep (100)
fc 1 (140)
fcr 3 (110)
dci
lrc/resist

hat = 15 sdi hat faction
neck = imbue
glove = fcr 3 faction
sleeve = imbue
legs = dci 20 faction
tunic = lmc 15 / imbue
shield = dci 20 spell channel
robe = sdi 3/hci 3/dci 3
cloak = quiver
sash = dci 5/lrc
talisman = 10 lmc
apron = crimson faction
shoe = poison resist 2
earrings = night sight (if human) / resist (if elf) / leave slot empty for invisible earrings [if u have]

str 87 (118) <- after chug from 50 ep = 134hp
int 125
dex 42(52) <- after chug from 50 ep = 84 dex (even after curse = still over 80)

Pros:-

1. You can chug on the run with 50 ep
2. You can benefit fully from the 120 parry
3. You can heal with bandage on the run (with combination of faction bandage)
4. You can benefit from the 30 SDI in this method fully

Cons:-

1. People still possible able to para gank your butt (due to only 100 resist), but this wouldnt be a so big issue if you have dart box
2. You might be lack of mana in the offense
3. You are not 100 LRC
4. once you get dismounted, you're kinda doomed

Anyways, i treat 30 SDI as a supporting char, because it is unable to fit in ninjitsu for lifesaving, so it is essential to stick in group for dealing huge damage.

Did some test in Test center

30 sdi with 100 inscribe = 40 damage fs (cursed)
30 sdi with 0 inscribe = 38 damage fs (cursed)

This test i forgot is tested based on max INT or not. But can assure that the extra 100 skill point in inscribe are NOT very very important.... it just can be treated as extra only.

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Aug 1, 2008
Didn't read everything but why 30sdi? u cant be a focused mage and have bushido

Dan123The123Man

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nov 19, 2004
UO, Atlantic Shard
Ok after playing with the Bushido mage template, I decided to try out a new one. I was going with this template:

120 mage
120 eval
120 med
120 chiv
120 resist
100 anatomy
20 focus

I was 2/6 100 lrc 40 lmc 15 sdi 70s corpse proof 14 hp regen 14 mr no book/wep 70 dci.

I found that even with 120 Chivalry I was lacking some offense since I didn't have scribe and couldnt hit 40 SDI... I also didn't see the HP Regen really help me much. I went with the chivalry instead of scribe because of all the DP Dexers. So I changed up the template and now i'm running this below that has high survivability and in 1v1 situations it's pretty fun...

This is what i'm currently playing with:

69 magery
120 eval
100 anatomy
120 med
120 resist
120 chivalry
81 spellweaving (only use for gift of renewal, attunment, gift of life, summon fey, arcane empowerment, sometimes wildfire)

With that template i've got 4/6 17 MR no spellbook/wep, 70 dci, 15 sdi, 70s corpse proof 100 lrc 40 lmc.

Throw on a magery spellbook to mass dispel pixies when done with them, or spellbook and swap out bracelet or something for a magery bracelet (not needed tho). I don't relly on poison because most players run with gm or 120 resist. At 69 magery I can cast up to fourth circle spells 100% of time so I only use spells you would normally see mages cast in duels. You can also still cast paralize, poison fields, para fields, stone walls. With just a level 4 focus its enough to pop all 4 or 5 pixies and at 4/6 its quite fast. So I pop the pixies and fireball/arrow/lightning after cursed. Can always throw in a wildfire or a conflag if u want. I don't really do that though, everyone pretty much runs from you with this template which is no fun but it's very fun when you have a dismounter helping you out, it's more like a "gimp" ganking template. The archer or you dismount the person, sick pixies on them and watch them try to run off.

You can holy light spam while there running. It's probly not as good as running a bleed/disarm DP Spam holy light spam dexer with pixies but the reason I like the magery more is because its ranged... It's not based on your hit chance to hit your enemy with spells so its much easier to disrupt or hit them. You get curse and bless. You also have a massive amount of mana to play with. Now the downfall of this template i've found out is if somebody a second person (mage) is with the person your killing trying to help them by mass dispelling your pixies. When you think about it though... If you are fighting somebody and someone else is healing them, if they are any good at all at cross healing you won't be able to kill them. With this template when I come across someone mass dispelling...

I can either summon pixies until the mass dispeller runs outta mana... Or pretty much sit there and keep myself healed the entire time lol. You also get a mass dispel that you can cast on the run "Dispel Evil" that only takes 10 mana. Mass Dispel takes 40 mana... Summoning 4 pixies (since ur on mount only 4) would take 40 mana... So magery mass dispel and summoning 4 pixies is about teh same amount of mana if you apply 40 LMC. If you have two people trying to gank you, say two dexers or a mage and a dexer. You always wanna go for the mage since they can mass dispel and really it's all downhill from there.. You stay on that mage like white on rice and let the dexer think he is going to kill you. You will either 1. eventually kill the mage or 2. he will off screen so much you give up on him or 3. somehow get a kill shot on you while he's running for his life? If you get dismounted in the process, pop a fifth pixie if you want to add some more dmg. The dexer though probly won't kill you by himself cause 4/6 close wounds, cleanse by fire, remove curse, Attunment, and Gift of Renewal should be enough to keep you up. I could use pots but I don't ever use them or apples with this template, i've really never found a need to.

It's a fun template, i've tried the parry with the chiv route, and scribe with the chiv and the most fun i've had is with the SPELLWEAVING with the chiv. The only other annoying thing is having to get a focus everyday. I onyl need to get it one time a day though since i'm usually not playing more then 2-3 hours a day. I run in elf form with this template so no 20 focus but I already have spellweaving and don't care much if I have tracking, if they come near me there revealed anyway right?

My stats I have self blessed no pots are:

137/11/185

I tried the whole tamer mage template thing but it seems like there is always something you are lacking... If you go pure mage you must go with a mage wep and deal with the disarm spam. If you go mystic mage with a dread you're probly sacrificing med or resist... So when I come across tamer mages with dreads I kind of take that into consideration and if they are casting mystic spells then they will either 1. more then likely run out of mana before I do (especially if they try to mass dispel non stop) or 2. I can poison them because they have no resist or if its a pure mage that uses a mage wep that has ya know 120 med resist and everything. 1. he has to be on foot to begin with to even use the dread so the pixies will keep him disrupted for teh most part unless he goes into protection. When he goes into protection I can try poisoning him, para the dread, just tank its dmg, or try killing the dread while the mage is playing around in protection? The mage won't cast fast enough in protection to kill me so its kind of interesting fighting dread tamer mages.