• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Vet Age Token...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aibal

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The only rewards that truly are game changers are the shard shields. They DO provide an huge advantage to those able to obtain them as they allow cheap and easy movement between shards. They aren't 50-70M in game, like current xfer tokens are running, and they allow players to make buy/sell trips to other shards or to move items easily between shards if they play on several. I know my oldest account is still 18 or so months away from them, and I question if the game will survive long enough to get them. However, I DO think they should be reserved for those who have paid all those years. They are a reward for that dedication. A lot of the other rewards, especially the dye tubs, should be useable by any player. It was ridiculous that I had to hand runebooks to players on my older account to dye for players on my younger account. It is ridiculous. Make them useable by anyone, they provide no advantage to vets.

On the skill cap, players should start with 720 points. Period. It is beyond ridiculous that they have to wait four years to achieve full stats.

KLOMP

Sage
Stratics Veteran
But in the meantime I totally oppose these tokens, we have enough instant gratification. A token would instantly make them meaningless.
Excuse me, but there is one HELL of a lot of difference between "instant gratification" and not letting the new kid have full skill points until 2017, or a garden shed until 2028. How insanely selfish can you be, that you think it's cool to tell someone "Realistically you will never get to have this. But hey **** you, because if we allowed you to buy one, the one I got for free would feel less meaningful to me."

Minerva Foxglove

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I meet brand new and even more often returning players and former free sharders that come only for PvP from day one. For them not being able to play with the same skill cap as vet players is s shock. Waiting for years wasnt what they were prepared for and it really discourage them.

kaio

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think as many others, that vet rewards needs a revamp, much like the virtue dungeons.
I think that vet rewards at age 10 or older, should have access to all rewards.
I have to wait 8 years to be able to choose shard shields, how fair is that ???

I wan't to visit other shards, but how on earth am i gonna make 50mill pr token ??

New accounts should start with 720 skill cap, there really is no need to punish people for 4 years before they can reach max skillcap.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Skill points has already been addressed in Ask & Answer 13
Could we please get a token/code to buy from the origin store, that would allow a player on a younger account to get the 720 skill cap? (mikni)
Mesanna: How about we just raise everyone to 720 ?
On the Vet rewards, I'm kind of in 2 minds. You don't need to be able to dye runebooks to play - undyed ones work fine. You don't need a garden shed to be able to play. We managed for years without being able to move between shards. How essential to game-play are vet rewards? not at all really?

Madrid

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Out of curiosity...

What other online games are out there where a new player would be in a situation where he'd have to wait 15 years to get access to an item?

"Here join this game but you won't be eligible for this item for 15 years or year 2028. Enjoy your gameplay!"

DerekL

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Out of curiosity...

What other online games are out there where a new player would be in a situation where he'd have to wait 15 years to get access to an item?
The only reason it's 15 years, is because UO is 15 years old. Other than that, pretty much every game with a veteran rewards system has items unattainable without years of subscribing - that's the very *definition* of a vet rewards program.

Madrid

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The only reason it's 15 years, is because UO is 15 years old. Other than that, pretty much every game with a veteran rewards system has items unattainable without years of subscribing - that's the very *definition* of a vet rewards program.
That may be the case however that doesn't mean a Veteran Rewards Program needs to structured in a manner where by many of the items constantly remain out of reach of a large portion of the playerbase. 15 Years is a little harsh and extreme.

5 years sound way more reasonable.

Is a 15 Veteran player having 27 choices vs. a 5 Year player having 7 choices not enough of a perk or advantage?

Gimme a break...

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
IMO veteran status should be something attainable within the first 3 years, and veteran reward selections should be tiered to those years. Divide them up into 3 tiers however you want. If you have played for more that 3 years you are every bit a UO veteran!

Like Madrid said, the reward for older accounts is more picks from the list, not additional unique picks. A 15 year account will have had more than double the rewards than a 3 or 4 year account, but there would be no items a 15 year account could use that a 3 year account would not.

Madrid

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Isn’t playing the greatest MMO ever more than other players a reward in and of itself? Think of all those years those poor players missed out on Ultima Online. What we’re they thinking!? Those poor people and now we’re gonna punish them further by denying them access to veteran rewards!?

Here is something else to consider:

Many players have taken breaks from UO over the years and upon returning were not able to re-activate their original accounts. I played from 1997 -2002 and took a 3 year break. When I returned I wasn’t able to re-active my account and started new subscription. Record Keeping 5+ years ago wasn’t as good as it is now. You had to jump through hoops and circles to re-activate your account. I would venture to guess there are many players who have played over the years and restarted their subscriptions on new accounts for this very reason. Something to consider….

“Your account is not old enough to use this item. Months until you can use this item: 71”. Gulp! It’s extremely discouraging. :(

Last edited:

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Skill points has already been addressed in Ask & Answer 13

On the Vet rewards, I'm kind of in 2 minds. You don't need to be able to dye runebooks to play - undyed ones work fine. You don't need a garden shed to be able to play. We managed for years without being able to move between shards. How essential to game-play are vet rewards? not at all really?
%100 true. So what is the big deal with allowing this? If someone is willing to pay forward for what we have already paid for then there should be no problem. The only requirement to get Vet Rewards is to pay UO/EA so if they are willing to pay UO/EA for the same thing then I say YES. Buy 6 mo gametime codes and age your account as far as you can and enjoy your new rewards. Do away with the Aging Program that UO uses and just age our account the same # of mos of the gametime code we apply. You apply a 6 mo code and your account ages 6 mos.

KLOMP

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Yeah vet rewards never should have gone past 3 to 5 years, with all of us older than that just getting to pick more things. We can't be going around 5 years from now with 20 year vet rewards that some slob who just opened a new account won't get to use until he's old and gray.

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Excuse me, but there is one HELL of a lot of difference between "instant gratification" and not letting the new kid have full skill points until 2017, or a garden shed until 2028. How insanely selfish can you be, that you think it's cool to tell someone "Realistically you will never get to have this. But hey **** you, because if we allowed you to buy one, the one I got for free would feel less meaningful to me."
Don't jump to silly conclusions about other players :) How can I be selfish when I am in the same boat as many others with way more than 5 years before I can even touch 15 year rewards? And that's on my eldest account. I am totally accepting of the fact that my younger accounts aren't going to get some rewards for a long time and a lot of money in subscriptions. That they might never see those rewards if the game doesn't last that long. Just as I have been from the minute vet rewards arrived. I may lose my accounts and have to start a fresh and face that system from day 1 - right in with the newbies. I was always trailing the older players and always will be. I accept that. I lost years just not being so active, but I don't grudge any 15 yr vet having something I may never have. Envy isn't any more virtuous than the selfishness you accuse me of :)

Veteran rewards are a thank you for the years a player has paid for UO, but according to some here it's like hey, to heck with what vets think or feel about it, let's take that away... and how dare you oldies refuse. That makes us all kinds of bad stuff. Vet rewards are not free, we pay a year's subscription for each reward year we open up. That makes a 15 year reward crazy expensive. I doubt anyone would pay that much for the code lol. In fact, anyone who wants to pay 15 years up front should be allowed to, they might pay for a dedicated UO GM for a year heh.

I wouldn't have suggested replicas if I was so selfish that I only wanted the perks for myself and players older than me. I just think the original vet rewards are a nice symbol that should be kept just for that purpose, so the old vets can show their account age to enjoy and younger players could use an item with the same or similar properties that just looked a little different. But a vet reward isn't a vet reward if a brand new character can get one. Once you get to that level, it's just another item sold in the Origin shop and the vets just have their bank statements to say "hey, I've played this game for 15 years and I don't even get a lousy tshirt!"

Maybe we should just scrap vet rewards and make our underwear look more and more tattered with every year we age. Then there won't be so much envy about us oldies :D Bring on the granny knickers!

Wenchy

Lug

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I like it. I've been wanting this for years. I have a number of accounts that I'd love to bump up.

Sargon

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
So they should wait until the year 2028 to get fifteeen year status?
Yes they should, and I seriously doubt that UO is losing a lot of potential customers for this reason. If people aren't playing because they can't get a Garden Shed, they probably weren't very serious about playing in the first place.

KLOMP

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Veteran rewards are a thank you for the years a player has paid for UO, but according to some here it's like hey, to heck with what vets think or feel about it, let's take that away...
You have a friend who is a talented painter. One year, for your birthday, he gives you one of his paintings as a gift. A few months later he also sells a painting to a collector for cash money. Most people would be happy for their friend, but I suppose you would call him up and tell him he's a jerk.

No one wants to take your veteran rewards away. No one wants to force you to pay for extras. You're free to go on with your life unchanged and pretend this entire conversation doesn't exist. Yet not only do you insist upon inserting yourself into it, you also insist that your precious feelings are the most important part of it; more important than players getting to use items before 2030 and more important than UO making money. That is incredibly selfish on your part.

"He got one too so now mine is no good!" is an attitude I typically associate with toddlers.

Last edited:

Goodmann

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I like it. I've been wanting this for years. I have a number of accounts that I'd love to bump up.
I think the majority of players feel this way. I currently have 15 shard shields and 20+ garden sheds but I would love to bump some of my younger accounts up

Lady CaT

Sage
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Vet Rewards were for years of dedication and loyalty! A age token meerly rewards covetous desire, clearly a anti virtue! The Kingdom would never reward anti virtuous behavior! :)

en·vy

[en-vee] Show IPA noun, plural en·vies, verb, en·vied, en·vy·ing.
noun
a feeling of discontent or covetousness with regard to another's advantages, success, possessions,etc.

Last edited:

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Vet Rewards were for years of dedication and loyalty! A age token meerly rewards covetous desire, clearly a anti virtue! The Kingdom would never reward anti virtuous behavior! :)

en·vy

[en-vee] Show IPA noun, plural en·vies, verb, en·vied, en·vy·ing.
noun
a feeling of discontent or covetousness with regard to another's advantages, success, possessions,etc.
Vet Rewards were for nothing more than paying your subs. You have not paid your dues and you do not deserve what I have. All of this just for paying your subs. $$$ So if they paid the same as you (doesn't matter when) then they also deserve the same thing.

Vanity: excessive pride in one's appearance, qualities, abilities, achievements, etc.; character or quality of being vain; conceit:

No Tokens, just allow them to pay forward on thier subs.

If there are players out there willing to pay thier subs forward to age thier, then that show more dedication and loyality to UO then we did by paying at most $60 for a 6 mo code. Someone paying $240 (4 - 6 mo gametime codes) to age thier account 2 yrs is taking a greater risk then we ever did. So now who would be showing the greater dedication and loyality to UO?

virtualhabitat

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
sac·ri·fice

noun, verb, sac·ri·ficed, sac·ri·fic·ing.
noun

the surrender or destruction of something prized or desirable for the sake of something considered as having a higher or more pressing claim.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
sac·ri·fice

noun, verb, sac·ri·ficed, sac·ri·fic·ing.
noun

the surrender or destruction of something prized or desirable for the sake of something considered as having a higher or more pressing claim.
I could have added these but I didn't want to go overboard LOL
conceited, arrogant, self-important, bigheaded, egotistic

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Hell, most people who want it that bad just buy the accounts from some other place anyways.
You are right, but this way you keep your account so you know its standings and UO makes money. With the new account system this is a pain in the you know what and there have been reports of people getting thier accounts returned to the seller after doing this. UO no longer supports the selling of accounts.

Last edited:

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Personally, I think that having players who keep maintaining their accounts as active over the years, perhaps for as long as 15 years might be an important sign of players willing to maintain their accounts as active for the company that owns the game because having a solid base of a number of loyal customers who keep their accounts active for years and years may allow a better guess of what a somewhat steady income might be to count on for what resources might be available over time to then be invested on new projects, new content for the game.
What I am trying to say, is that my opinion is that having a good assorted Veteran Program like Ultima Online has, with moreless something for all years from 1 to 15, provides good motivations to players to keep their account as active even in times when they might think to take some time away from the game. Some players might deactivate their accounts to then reactivate them time after if they find interest in UO again, but some players even when not playing the game might instead think to maintain their account as active even at times when they cannot or do not want to play UO.

Personally, I think that this is an important aspect of the Veteran program that goes beyond the actual money paid on the subscription because it may give an estimate of a bulk of customers willing to maintain their accounts as active even during those times that they are not logging into the game. I may well be wrong, but I think that this information might be important to the company that owns the game because determining the size of this bulk of players willing to keep their accounts as active even at times when they do not play, whatever the reasons, can allow those who need to make decisions in the interest of the game to better make their judgements on how and for how long to allocate the resources they may count on over a period of time.

This cannot be done with instant account age purchase, IMHO. Sure, it might be an extra resource popping up all of a sudden that would certainly be welcome but it is unpredictable and not as indicative as an account that stays active year after year after year even during times that the account does not show significant logs in. And I fear that the availability of instant account age purchase might actually harm the year after year endured veteran status because those players who in the past thought to keep their accounts as active could think to now close it since, in case they decide to come back one day, they will be able to purchase their active accunt age time, later on.

Even if the amount of money was to be the same (that is the purchase of active account age cost exactly the same as what the monthly fee paid over that time is), still such a change would be, at least to my thinking, a negative addition to the maintainance of the game because it would probably take away the possibility to monitor the status of that bulk of players maintaining their accounts as active even during times they do not play.
That is, it would make it harder, I think, to make predictions over time on what resources might be availablle for Ultima Online to then be invested in projects lasting some time as well as for adding new content.

Pretty much the same reason why I much prefer monthly subscription fees over free to play sale of single items. I think, that it is much harder to make predictions on available resources to be used to invest into the game with the occasional sale of items which is unpredictable, then to have an X number of accounts paying monthly subscription fees, steadily over time, which show a trend that might be taken into account when trying to assess what resources might be available to be invested on the game over a time period.

Bottom line is, that I think that the current Veteran Program for Ultima Online is very well thought and assorted, with something nice and usefull from year 1 to 15 and with every year something added not just for the top years, but also for the low ones and those in between as well. I see no need of such major changes that could have unpredictable and perhaps even harmfull consequences to the usefullness of the program. Allowing the purchasing of account active age I think could do more harm than provide resources because it could mess up with what I think the purpose of the Veteran Program should be and perhaps even annoy those players who always stayed with the game from september 1997 until now.

The Shard Shields ? They have significative limitations as compared to the purchaseable ones and without messing up the Veteran program, perhaps one thing that could instead be done could be to tone down the difference between the 2 by reducing the cost of the purchaseable transfer tokens so as to make them more available. Perhaps they could be permanently reduced to half what they cost now, or promotional packages could be offered for like 5 for the price of 2, whatever...... I mean, I would rather see an adjustment reducing the price of purchaseable transfer tokens significantly, rather than see changes to the Veteran Program of Ultima Online which I personally see as a very well thought, assorted and maintained over the years program.

And even a significant reduction of the price for purchaseable transfer tokens might not necessarily mean a reduction of resources from the sale of these items. Perhaps, if the price is halved or even further cheaper, players could buy double the quantity as before or even more, have more fun playing the game since they have more transfer tokens to use and the resources from the sales of this particular item could perhaps still be moreless the same as before since more transfer tokens might be sold because significantly cheaper, who knows.........

That's at least as I see it.

Last edited:

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You have a friend who is a talented painter. One year, for your birthday, he gives you one of his paintings as a gift. A few months later he also sells a painting to a collector for cash money. Most people would be happy for their friend, but I suppose you would call him up and tell him he's a jerk.
You suppose wrong, which is always the risk when you jump to conclusions. Funny, but wrong... 0 points.

No one wants to take your veteran rewards away. No one wants to force you to pay for extras. You're free to go on with your life unchanged and pretend this entire conversation doesn't exist. Yet not only do you insist upon inserting yourself into it, you also insist that your precious feelings are the most important part of it; more important than players getting to use items before 2030 and more important than UO making money. That is incredibly selfish on your part.
More insults and silly assumptions. Must be my lucky day :)

"He got one too so now mine is no good!" is an attitude I typically associate with toddlers
I think I'd rather be conversing with a toddler, they'd have been able to grasp what I was saying long ago and we'd be having milk and fruit sticks by now.

Let's try this at that toddler level so you might understand it the third time.

I suggested replicas -something with the same properties but you can tell the difference between the replica and the real vet reward. So newer players can have the features they miss from a reward, but you can still tell who is riding a vet ethy or whatever. It's called a compromise option. If you can't handle the thought of having to use a replica then keep on demanding tokens.

Good luck...

Wenchy

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Personally, I think that having players who keep maintaining their accounts as active over the years, perhaps for as long as 15 years might be an important sign of players willing to maintain their accounts as active for the company that owns the game because having a solid base of a number of loyal customers who keep their accounts active for years and years may allow a better guess of what a somewhat steady income might be to count on for what resources might be available over time to then be invested on new projects, new content for the game.
What I am trying to say, is that my opinion is that having a good assorted Veteran Program like Ultima Online has, with moreless something for all years from 1 to 15, provides good motivations to players to keep their account as active even in times when they might think to take some time away from the game. Some players might deactivate their accounts to then reactivate them time after if they find interest in UO again, but some players even when not playing the game might instead think to maintain their account as active even at times when they cannot or do not want to play UO.

Personally, I think that this is an important aspect of the Veteran program that goes beyond the actual money paid on the subscription because it may give an estimate of a bulk of customers willing to maintain their accounts as active even during those times that they are not logging into the game. I may well be wrong, but I think that this information might be important to the company that owns the game because determining the size of this bulk of players willing to keep their accounts as active even at times when they do not play, whatever the reasons, can allow those who need to make decisions in the interest of the game to better make their judgements on how and for how long to allocate the resources they may count on over a period of time.

This cannot be done with instant account age purchase, IMHO. Sure, it might be an extra resource popping up all of a sudden that would certainly be welcome but it is unpredictable and not as indicative as an account that stays active year after year after year even during times that the account does not show significant logs in. And I fear that the availability of instant account age purchase might actually harm the year after year endured veteran status because those players who in the past thought to keep their accounts as active could think to now close it since, in case they decide to come back one day, they will be able to purchase their active accunt age time, later on.

Even if the amount of money was to be the same (that is the purchase of active account age cost exactly the same as what the monthly fee paid over that time is), still such a change would be, at least to my thinking, a negative addition to the maintainance of the game because it would probably take away the possibility to monitor the status of that bulk of players maintaining their accounts as active even during times they do not play.
That is, it would make it harder, I think, to make predictions over time on what resources might be availablle for Ultima Online to then be invested in projects lasting some time as well as for adding new content.

Pretty much the same reason why I much prefer monthly subscription fees over free to play sale of single items. I think, that it is much harder to make predictions on available resources to be used to invest into the game with the occasional sale of items which is unpredictable, then to have an X number of accounts paying monthly subscription fees, steadily over time, which show a trend that might be taken into account when trying to assess what resources might be available to be invested on the game over a time period.

Bottom line is, that I think that the current Veteran Program for Ultima Online is very well thought and assorted, with something nice and usefull from year 1 to 15 and with every year something added not just for the top years, but also for the low ones and those in between as well. I see no need of such major changes that could have unpredictable and perhaps even harmfull consequences to the usefullness of the program. Allowing the purchasing of account active age I think could do more harm than provide resources because it could mess up with what I think the purpose of the Veteran Program should be and perhaps even annoy those players who always stayed with the game from september 1997 until now.

The Shard Shields ? They have significative limitations as compared to the purchaseable ones and without messing up the Veteran program, perhaps one thing that could instead be done could be to tone down the difference between the 2 by reducing the cost of the purchaseable transfer tokens so as to make them more available. Perhaps they could be permanently reduced to half what they cost now, or promotional packages could be offered for like 5 for the price of 2, whatever...... I mean, I would rather see an adjustment reducing the price of purchaseable transfer tokens significantly, rather than see changes to the Veteran Program of Ultima Online which I personally see as a very well thought, assorted and maintained over the years program.

And even a significant reduction of the price for purchaseable transfer tokens might not necessarily mean a reduction of resources from the sale of these items. Perhaps, if the price is halved or even further cheaper, players could buy double the quantity as before or even more, have more fun playing the game since they have more transfer tokens to use and the resources from the sales of this particular item could perhaps still be moreless the same as before since more transfer tokens might be sold because significantly cheaper, who knows.........

That's at least as I see it.
Popps long time no see. I agree that a 15 yr vet showing thier dedication and loyality to UO is a good thing for UO/EA to see but would a player willing to pay thier subs in advance be showing any less dedication and loyality to UO. No, they are showing UO/EA that they are willing to bet with thier $$$ that they think UO will be here all those years yet to come. I do not like the Token idea, but I would like to see a system that ages our accounts by the same number of months as the gametime code we are applying. You apply a 6 mo gametime code and your account ages 6 months. We know how well the Account Aging Program has worked in the past, it is almost like the RNG jumps in and says Hello. Allowing people to age thier accounts by as many years as they want in no way changes the Vet Rewards Program is just changes how our accounts age. A person that HAS paid thier dues and a person that is willing to PRE_PAY thier dues are showing the same dedication and loyality to UO.

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I have several accounts. The oldest is at 171 months. I would like the ability to buy up my other accounts to that level. And I would be willing to pay good money to upgrade them. I have no problem paying up to $120 per additional 12 month increments (full 6 month payment rate of $10 per month). What I cannot do is make time go faster.

Goldberg-Chessy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So they should wait until the year 2028 to get fifteeen year status? UO is losing many customers bc of this reason. I know several people who are intrigued by this game but say "I do not want to wait to long to get the status everyone else has" so they just go to the next mmo. I think most of the people who will be against this is the people who can't afford it with real life $. If you start saving now i think you can make the $
1. Creates more $ for EA
2. Brings more players to UO
WIN WIN
I know ALOT more people who deserve and enjoy vet status. And the people I know are real paying customers playing the game. Not imaginary friends just referenced to try and boost a bad idea.
The people you know are intrigued and friends of yours yet they are not playing because they glanced at UO and deduced the entire reward system as a negative? Thats funny stuff bro.

Your mom's cc wont buy you everything. Deal with it.

All that being said I think the only way to even think about an auto-vet system has to start with the player paying a total of EVERY month added on. Obviously meaning that if a brand new account wants 14 year vet status they pay an upfront fee of approx $2100.00
Otherwise its a slap in the face to all real vets. Especially considering that I highly doubt it will cause an even 1% actual increase in the playerbase as you have to assume that some people may quit over the loss of their rare and earned vet status. And it most definitely can be considered a loss in more ways then one.

Last edited:

virtualhabitat

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So let me get this straight. I can't age my original account with money because it would not be fair to those who spent all that real time maintaining their accounts.

I can buy an aged account from an account broker and this is fair.

Fair how, exactly?

Last edited:

Irulia Darkaith

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well pre-paying for veteran status just doesn't sit well with me, and now stay with me as we wade into the dangerous waters of contentious analogies...

Consider this, if I gave the government a cheque in exchange for them awarding me a medal of valor cause I wanted to hang one on my wall and show it off to my friends, do you think the guys who actually earned that medal are going to be okay with it? I know it's not a great analogy, but you get the drift - It's not just about the items, it's about the recognition and most people in real-life would not be happy with people buying their way through it. Another dangerous analogy - you spend 6 years getting your masters degree from Harvard. On the day of graduation, there you stand in your cap and gown, your parents beaming from the seats - so proud of their child, then you find out the 18 year old standing next to you is getting the same degree. He's never cracked a book, or attended a single class - his parents bought him the degree. You complain to the dean and he says, what do you care, he paid the same money as you and we're going to use the cash from these "fast-track" diplomas to build better facilities, so stop being so greedy and complaining about others getting diplomas. Is everyone happy? Pretty sure not. And yes, I know you can poke holes in these analogies, but hopefully you can see where I'm going.

Anyone can have an ethereal mount (and yes I include chargers), but how many can ride a boura? All ethereals have the same function, they get you from point A to B, and you can bet if they suddenly gave away Boura's for Easter they would lose their value to everyone. As for things like the locker and the shed...my god people, it's just extra storage?! A 15 year vet had to live without these items for 15 years, you can too! If you really need the storage and want to pay money for a shed or a locker, just activate another account and place another house, they have way more storage than a garden shed (and look better too). As for dye-tubs...I wouldn't have a problem letting all people use the furniture dye tubs,etc and didn't even realize that was a restriction. And for shard-transfer shields. This was just a dumb, but the whole idea of people constantly hopping shards through bought tokens in general is just wrong to me and I don't think the devs had that in mind when they made them available. Prettty sure the idea was to allow players to move to another shard and thus facilitate a voluntary shard merger, rather than a forced-one. But that's for another thread.

Last edited:

BigEv

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Ya so maybe the vets want to keep this out so they can sell their accounts to these people that want them? lol.? If ur a true Vet of this game and love this game why would you not want this as it will be nothing but positive for this game as mentioned throughout this thread. Only reason i see yall wouldnt want this is if you have the attitude of "nana nana boo boo i have this and you dont! cya in 10+ years!" I just dont understand, if i was a long term member of anything and saw an idea that could help keep it going for longer and make people happy as well as protect newer members from being scammed of anything I WOULD DEFINITELY VOTE YES! I started this game day 1 it came out and like many others took long breaks non paid and paid, my oldest account now is hmm 10 years, i really dont have much need for alot of the vet rewards but i do see where in some peoples game play styles some items could make their gameplay alot easier or more enjoyable. I would however buy up on at least one account to be able to use the shard shields forsure as we all know how expensive those damn transfers are and being in the rares trading that will help a bunch so i dont have to rely on other to catch rides with etc etc again scamming can be avoided here.
I dont see any negative here in allowing this. There have been some good ideas on how to do this in this thread and prices to go with it.
Even if this implementation keeps one person from leaving or gets a few to join its worth it in my book. Oh and can we not forget this will add much needed revenue for this game! Oh and lets not forget how many people this can save from being scammed on buying accounts! ie: not getting account after payment/or having original owner swipe it back from you after you got it through account recovery methods.

Lady CaT

Sage
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I agree that a 15 yr vet showing thier dedication and loyality to UO is a good thing for UO/EA to see but would a player willing to pay thier subs in advance be showing any less dedication and loyality to UO. No, they are showing UO/EA that they are willing to bet with thier $$$ that they think UO will be here all those years yet to come. I do not like the Token idea, but I would like to see a system that ages our accounts by the same number of months as the gametime code we are applying. You apply a 6 mo gametime code and your account ages 6 months. We know how well the Account Aging Program has worked in the past, it is almost like the RNG jumps in and says Hello. Allowing people to age thier accounts by as many years as they want in no way changes the Vet Rewards Program is just changes how our accounts age. A person that HAS paid thier dues and a person that is willing to PRE_PAY thier dues are showing the same dedication and loyality to UO.
Of course this idea of buying account age presents its own can of worms. For example, now as a loyal and dedicated 15 year veteran having bought game time codes for 10 years into the future, where are my 25 year veteran rewards? So... No a new player being allowed to buy account age is NOT the same.

The idea of buying account age simply devalues the concept of loyalty of subscription and support over the years in my opinion. As pointed out by Popps, I can simply deactivate my account and be able to come back at any time and purchase some perceived advantage (if the game is still here of course).

Plus of course if you aren't around in the next 10 years that I have pre-paid for I expect a full refund for services not provided, wait no you are right I got my rewards....wait no I pre-paid as a 15 year veteran you still owe me my 25 year veteran reward....lol...ok now I'm just messin with ya. *shoves worms back into can*

On a side note!

I don't see what advantage 15 year veteran rewards offer to a new player anyways that they can't achieve better in game?

I can travel to another shard? I can already create characters on any shard. PvPers start new templates all the time on other shards and kick peoples butts.
I can buy a stone to allow me to transfer skills? Can make those in game. Besides those are available at year one I think.
I get extra skill points that will make me the next elite PvPer over everyone else? Seriously...come back when ya understand PvP and equipment.
I can teleport to my other house? Yeah because recall and sacred journey are so hard.
I can get a fast ethy mount that wont die and strand me? Ninja skill anyone? The skill all the PvPers complain about being too over powered. Of course no one can help ya if your mount still dies :)
I want all the fancy robes and cloaks!! Umm..try a npc tailor and metallic cloth dye tub.
I want more storage! Buy a castle! Oh wait even veteran players can't get those.. Plus with age token idea I'm paying for game time anyways why not just have a second account with way more storage and additional character ability.
I want to look like I'm a 15 year veteran so when I PvP I'll win! Umm....sure ok...
I want to hoard Reward choices! So maybe I can pick something useful in the future! Ok ya got me there :)

So really if someone....anyone can explain the advantages to having 15 year veteran rewards for a new player I'd REALLY like to KNOW...

BigEv

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Of course this idea of buying account age presents its own can of worms. For example, now as a loyal and dedicated 15 year veteran having bought game time codes for 10 years into the future, where are my 25 year veteran rewards? So... No a new player being allowed to buy account age is NOT the same.

The idea of buying account age simply devalues the concept of loyalty of subscription and support over the years in my opinion. As pointed out by Popps, I can simply deactivate my account and be able to come back at any time and purchase some perceived advantage (if the game is still here of course).

Plus of course if you aren't around in the next 10 years that I have pre-paid for I expect a full refund for services not provided, wait no you are right I got my rewards....wait no I pre-paid as a 15 year veteran you still owe me my 25 year veteran reward....lol...ok now I'm just messin with ya. *shoves worms back into can*

On a side note!

I don't see what advantage 15 year veteran rewards offer to a new player anyways that they can't achieve better in game?

I can travel to another shard? I can already create characters on any shard. PvPers start new templates all the time on other shards and kick peoples butts.
I can buy a stone to allow me to transfer skills? Can make those in game. Besides those are available at year one I think.
I get extra skill points that will make me the next elite PvPer over everyone else? Seriously...come back when ya understand PvP and equipment.
I can teleport to my other house? Yeah because recall and sacred journey are so hard.
I can get a fast ethy mount that wont die and strand me? Ninja skill anyone? The skill all the PvPers complain about being too over powered. Of course no one can help ya if your mount still dies :)
I want all the fancy robes and cloaks!! Umm..try a npc tailor and metallic cloth dye tub.
I want more storage! Buy a castle! Oh wait even veteran players can't get those.. Plus with age token idea I'm paying for game time anyways why not just have a second account with way more storage and additional character ability.
I want to look like I'm a 15 year veteran so when I PvP I'll win! Umm....sure ok...
I want to hoard Reward choices! So maybe I can pick something useful in the future! Ok ya got me there :)

So really if someone....anyone can explain the advantages to having 15 year veteran rewards for a new player I'd REALLY like to KNOW...
Explain advantages hmm...... doesnt have to be about advantages just about what people want or like as well as avoiding scams. If someone likes the boura they should not have to wait 14 or 15 years to aquire it! If people want to dye their furniture/runebooks etc etc they should not have to wait how ever many years. Times have changed and our population isnt blowing up now is it? So whats the big deal if someone wants to buy up to be able to use these things??? Only thing it does is help the game with needed revenue that will hopefully be put into the game for all of our better enjoyment. As for your statement on shard travel, again its up to a players game style. I for one dont want to go through the hassle of making characters on every shard which costs gold and time in which alot of people do not have(oh and side note the needing to have to redo suits etc due to publishes on each shard/character...NO TY). Whats wrong with say a pvp person just wants to use his few guys he created on said shard and hop them every now and then to experience all shards of pvp? He needs to pay 50m per transfer??? Why not let him if he/she really wants to, buy their account up which helps UO and us all in the long run and use the transfer shields. If the argument goes to oh well they can just purchase said transfers from uo store......well i can tell you most probably do not as the 3rd party stores sell for cheaper and give u little bonuses for buying and we all know that most those items people buy from those stores are duped but they do the job and function as the real deal so again UO loses out as well as us. Or us rares collectors needing to move items around. I can go on and on all day on why this should be put in and many different scenarios for each reward on why someone might want it or why it would make their playstyle more enjoyable or their homes more enjoyable.... but im not. Maybe to preserve the loyalty as u say give them a title that they can wear that says "hey look at me im loyal" lol...... only joking but really maybe some form of title they can wear that you cant get from buying up.

Goldberg-Chessy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Explain advantages hmm...... doesnt have to be about advantages just about what people want or like as well as avoiding scams. If someone likes the boura they should not have to wait 14 or 15 years to aquire it! If people want to dye their furniture/runebooks etc etc they should not have to wait how ever many years. Times have changed and our population isnt blowing up now is it? So whats the big deal if someone wants to buy up to be able to use these things??? Only thing it does is help the game with needed revenue that will hopefully be put into the game for all of our better enjoyment. As for your statement on shard travel, again its up to a players game style. I for one dont want to go through the hassle of making characters on every shard which costs gold and time in which alot of people do not have(oh and side note the needing to have to redo suits etc due to publishes on each shard/character...NO TY). Whats wrong with say a pvp person just wants to use his few guys he created on said shard and hop them every now and then to experience all shards of pvp? He needs to pay 50m per transfer??? Why not let him if he/she really wants to, buy their account up which helps UO and us all in the long run and use the transfer shields. If the argument goes to oh well they can just purchase said transfers from uo store......well i can tell you most probably do not as the 3rd party stores sell for cheaper and give u little bonuses for buying and we all know that most those items people buy from those stores are duped but they do the job and function as the real deal so again UO loses out as well as us. Or us rares collectors needing to move items around. I can go on and on all day on why this should be put in and many different scenarios for each reward on why someone might want it or why it would make their playstyle more enjoyable or their homes more enjoyable.... but im not. Maybe to preserve the loyalty as u say give them a title that they can wear that says "hey look at me im loyal" lol...... only joking but really maybe some form of title they can wear that you cant get from buying up.
Uhh, because you just cant have everything instantly. It is that simple. Using your example, why does someone have to have a Boura instantly anyway? It is not game changing. None of the vet rewards are game changing ever since they did the right thing and created Chargers. Shard shields and garden sheds are not game changing. They are nothing more then a very nice bonus as part of a larger bonus system that has been around for many years.

Anyone trying to tell me that basically reversing vet rewards will result in more players is insulting my intelligence. It would be nothing more then a bs move to placate some of the pixel addicts that are already paying customers and not going anywhere.

This thread is quite simply nothing more then a "me me me" rant by some players that are quite obviously not longtime vets. Or at least not as long as 12-15 years based upon the common theme of wanting only the highest rewards for free.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

On a side note!

You were given Vet Rwards for paying your subs, nothing more. You did nothing in UO to earn these. You don't even have to log-in the have your account awarded these, your account will age just fine on its own. You only have to log-in to claim them. The only thing a person will miss out is the fun we had playing the game, but thier fun will come in the future. If you age your account there is no refund. Yet you are taking a risk, but you do so understanding that if and when UO does turn out the lights that is it. Why are people saying you don't deserve this because you have not paid your dues, when in fact the only dues they paid was thier subs to earn this. We showed our dedication and loyality to UO by paying our subs and if a person is willing to show thier dedication and loyality to UO by pre-paying thier subs I see nothing wrong with that as long as they understand the risk. No tokens only 6 mo ($60) aging sub codes through UO only and is directly applied to the account that is logged in. UO only gets the money and the player gets a 6 mo older account and 6 mo came time to enjoy it.

Lets use Shard Shields with this because thie is prob the biggest item that will be selected. If I already had Shard Shields (I do) then I would get 6 of each Limited shard xfer tokens that just cost me $60 or I could buy 3 Xrfe Tokens from UO (I do not support other sites) for the same price.
Shard Shields = 300 items (char + bank) + what you are wearing (11 items total)
Xfer Token = 300 items (char + bank) + what you are wearing (11 items total) + 625 items (5 packies)
3 shard shields (933 items) = 1 Xfer token (936 items) so for the same $$$ I can move 942 items with Xfer Tokens. Even the Shard Shield is not a game changer.

No Vet Reward is a game changer, it is just one of those little shinnies that says look at how long I paid my subs. But yet there are people that think that this would belittle and devalue our long standing Vets. The best way to flatter someone is to be just like them, this is not a slap in the face to Vets it is a compliment. Take it as such.

Goldberg-Chessy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ya so maybe the vets want to keep this out so they can sell their accounts to these people that want them? lol.? If ur a true Vet of this game and love this game why would you not want this as it will be nothing but positive for this game as mentioned throughout this thread. Only reason i see yall wouldnt want this is if you have the attitude of "nana nana boo boo i have this and you dont! cya in 10+ years!" I just dont understand, if i was a long term member of anything and saw an idea that could help keep it going for longer and make people happy as well as protect newer members from being scammed of anything I WOULD DEFINITELY VOTE YES! I started this game day 1 it came out and like many others took long breaks non paid and paid, my oldest account now is hmm 10 years, i really dont have much need for alot of the vet rewards but i do see where in some peoples game play styles some items could make their gameplay alot easier or more enjoyable. I would however buy up on at least one account to be able to use the shard shields forsure as we all know how expensive those damn transfers are and being in the rares trading that will help a bunch so i dont have to rely on other to catch rides with etc etc again scamming can be avoided here.
I dont see any negative here in allowing this. There have been some good ideas on how to do this in this thread and prices to go with it.
Even if this implementation keeps one person from leaving or gets a few to join its worth it in my book. Oh and can we not forget this will add much needed revenue for this game! Oh and lets not forget how many people this can save from being scammed on buying accounts! ie: not getting account after payment/or having original owner swipe it back from you after you got it through account recovery methods.
Whether you like it or not, the buying and selling of vet accounts has been around since day one of UO. Legally and illegally. Deal with it.

Who are you to tell a vet that the valuable account he created and maintained with thousands of dollars of rl cash should be severely devalued so that you can play for 2 years and get a Boura or garden shed? Thats ridiculous.

You just stated that longtime, loyal vets should reverse a portion of their hardearned value for what? - "If ur a true Vet of this game and love this game why would you not want this as it will be nothing but positive for this game"

Thats funny as it is obviously coming from the person getting the value and not the one giving it.

Goldberg-Chessy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah vet rewards never should have gone past 3 to 5 years, with all of us older than that just getting to pick more things. We can't be going around 5 years from now with 20 year vet rewards that some slob who just opened a new account won't get to use until he's old and gray.
Thats nonsense.

The slob you mentioned can quite easily and safely purchase an account from a vet if he wants the extra pixel crack.
Nobody needs to get old and gray. Whats your point?

And yes, he should have to pay for the vet account. Do you not even understand what vet rewards are?

They are quite simply a reward/item based upon the length of time you paid the company your hard-earned cash. It is a straight reward for cash dynamic.

So tell me again why I would give away something I clearly paid cash for?

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Uhh, because you just cant have everything instantly. It is that simple. Using your example, why does someone have to have a Boura instantly anyway? It is not game changing. None of the vet rewards are game changing ever since they did the right thing and created Chargers. Shard shields and garden sheds are not game changing. They are nothing more then a very nice bonus as part of a larger bonus system that has been around for many years.

Anyone trying to tell me that basically reversing vet rewards will result in more players is insulting my intelligence. It would be nothing more then a bs move to placate some of the pixel addicts that are already paying customers and not going anywhere.

This thread is quite simply nothing more then a "me me me" rant by some players that are quite obviously not longtime vets. Or at least not as long as 12-15 years based upon the common theme of wanting only the highest rewards for free.
So there is no game changing item but yet you say no. There is no such thing as "FREE" in uo and the one and only thing you did was pay your subs on time to earn these and you still say no. If as you say Vet Rewards are nothing more than pixels then why do insist on still saying no. IMHO Everyone of your reasons is nothing more than saying see what I have earned by paying my subs $$$.

As far as the "This thread is quite simply nothing more then a "me me me" rant by some players" can be just as easily said the other way around "I paid my dues, look at what I have, neaner neaner neaner"

Yes I would love to upgrade my #2 main (12.5 yr) account to be = with my #1 main account (15 yr) (if account age program would update :( ) but any of my other accounts i do not think so. But this would be such a game breaking idea, not.

Goldberg-Chessy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So there is no game changing item but yet you say no. There is no such thing as "FREE" in uo and the one and only thing you did was pay your subs on time to earn these and you still say no. If as you say Vet Rewards are nothing more than pixels then why do insist on still saying no. IMHO Everyone of your reasons is nothing more than saying see what I have earned by paying my subs $$$.

As far as the "This thread is quite simply nothing more then a "me me me" rant by some players" can be just as easily said the other way around "I paid my dues, look at what I have, neaner neaner neaner"

Yes I would love to upgrade my #2 main (12.5 yr) account to be = with my #1 main account (15 yr) (if account age program would update :( ) but any of my other accounts i do not think so. But this would be such a game breaking idea, not.
Are you serious?

This entire thread is nothing more then an exercise in "me me me"

And your only excuse for this disgusting display of public begging is that it is ok/logical based upon the fact that you believe the vets way of thinking is what? - ""I paid my dues, look at what I have, neaner neaner neaner"

Im out of this cesspool. IMO it is quite obvious that you want your vet pixelcrack so bad you will say anything.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Whether you like it or not, the buying and selling of vet accounts has been around since day one of UO. Legally and illegally. Deal with it.

Who are you to tell a vet that the valuable account he created and maintained with thousands of dollars of rl cash should be severely devalued so that you can play for 2 years and get a Boura or garden shed? Thats ridiculous.

You just stated that longtime, loyal vets should reverse a portion of their hardearned value for what? - "If ur a true Vet of this game and love this game why would you not want this as it will be nothing but positive for this game"

Thats funny as it is obviously coming from the person getting the value and not the one giving it.
So allowing other to due the same as you, paying your subs (only requirement for this), is going to devalue your worth or your game play. Nobody, I mean nobody, has said this is FREE. A 15 yr Vet paid $1,800.00 in subs to earn 27 Vet Rewards. That is the only thing that was done to earn these rewards, nothing more and nothing less. If others are willing to pay that same amount to UO as you did how does that devalue anything, it does not. I am sorry that you think that Vet Rewards is what defines you, they do not in any way define me as a you player. Alls Vet Rewards do is to remind me how long I have PAID and played this game. :)

BigEv

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

As stated noones devaluing the accounts as people pointed out that the prices can remain the same as it would as if you subscribed for that long whether that is feasible that remains to be seen. Also yes i am making a stand for the people getting scammed buying these accounts! It happens alot! So i will not deal with it as you say! Again this isnt about game changing items jeez! Its mainly to make people happier/avoid scams/help game revenue and to get rid of the idea of hey you can start playing this game and i know you like that item but please stick with us for another 10 years and you too can own this!(which in turn can keep or add new members no matter what u say) If i was new player ya it would upset me and yes possibly make me go look to play a new game out there or something where there isnt a need to wait 10 years for something! It will also add revenue to our game to keep it going longer and or more things for us in game or add more staff to work on the game! If someone wants to spend 100's of $ to age their account then so be it. There is no reason someone needs to wait 10+ years for anything in a GAME! Also if your telling me this is a i want i want thread u are the ridiculous one here! Have you not read anything? 1. Stop certain scams- buying account scams-transfer my items scams,etc etc. 2. Add revenue for the game!!!! 3. Its a game and people should have fun and in my view every item should be obtainable in game whether be a rare drop etc, as noone that just joined should have to wait 5, 10, 15 years to aquire something! Im all for as above mentioned giving u "true longtime vets" as you say, a title or something so you can still go "nana nana boo boo"

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Are you serious?

This entire thread is nothing more then an exercise in "me me me"

And your only excuse for this disgusting display of public begging is that it is ok/logical based upon the fact that you believe the vets way of thinking is what? - ""I paid my dues, look at what I have, neaner neaner neaner"

Im out of this cesspool. IMO it is quite obvious that you want your vet pixelcrack so bad you will say anything.
LMAO I said your way, I quoted your post. I did not make an open post to the thread in general.
Public begging, are you joking me. How about an open mind.

WOW Talk about the me me me attitude, I am taking my ball and going home.

con·ceit·ed
[ kən stəd ]
  1. too proud: having or showing an excessively high opinion of your own qualities or abilities
  2. creatively witty: imaginative, fanciful, witty, or ingenious
Synonyms: self-important, proud, vain, smug, arrogant, high and mighty, superior, stuck-up, snobbish, self-satisfied, bigheaded, narcissistic.

Rumpy

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
People who are new can use all 1 year dye tubs, just not the others.. Which doesn't make sense since a 1 year account can't use a Commodity Deed Box, but can use everything else....

Irulia Darkaith

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No Vet Reward is a game changer, it is just one of those little shinnies that says look at how long I paid my subs. But yet there are people that think that this would belittle and devalue our long standing Vets. The best way to flatter someone is to be just like them, this is not a slap in the face to Vets it is a compliment. Take it as such.
Imitation might be the highest form of flattery, but most of us don't like it when it happens to us. (How many women would love to show up to an important event and find that their best friend loved their gown so much that they went out and got the same one). There are many things in game that people buy and use to identify themselves as unique - vet rewards are one of those items. Having a bunch players dressing like me and customizing and decorating their house like mine is not flattery, and telling me it I should be flattered is about as effective as me telling you to be content with the status quo.

Pretty sure of a few things..

1) I doubt anyone is going to cancel their subscription because they can't ride a boura for another 1, 4, 6 or whatever years. If tomorrow UO announced a free garden shed for every new player - doubt that would fill up the shards with new players. And no, I'm not going to quit UO if they suddenly make vet rewards available to everyone for a price.

2) Most of us can't have everything we want, in game or in life - it's one of those life lessons that helps to build character. I've been playing since 97 and there are things that are virtually unattainable to me as well, that's what makes them special. Being able to buy whatever the hell I want cause I have a credit card...well, now it's not so special when I get one. Trying raising a kid and giving them everything they want, and see how they turn out.

2) If everything is commonly available it DOES devalue it. This is true in life and it's true in virtual reality. If this wasn't the case we could just play on Test Centre where a simple command gives us whatever we want. If diamonds could be found everywhere, who would be wearing them? When I see someone riding a boura, it warms my heart a little bit and there is that little "virtual" nod you give to them because you know they've gone through the evolution of the game just as you have, and it's nice to know that someone has something in common with you without even opening your mouth. If I see everyone else riding that boura, mine is going back in a crate..so yes it does lose value, both for sentimental reasons, and it loses gold value as well. (and yes, I know some people might have just bought an old account, but I find that's more rare)

3) Yes, my subscription paid for my game time, and one of the nice, fun things Devs did was to say, hey, here is this new Vet reward program as our way of saying thanks to people who have provided us with the means to continue to develop this game. While sure, people with 1, 2, 5 year subscriptions are helping to support the game, they weren't here at the start, and that is a difference to me and it was a difference to the developers who were able to keep the game alive because certain players kept the cash flowing year after year, instead of quitting, then rejoining every time a new game came out. Loyalty SHOULD be rewarded...it should not be for sale online.

Lastly, these are my views, I'm not saying I'm right and you're wrong, I'm just saying...I am a Vet, and it is nice to have something that not everyone else can have. I don't think that makes me any more petty than the people arguing the other side of the coin.

One thing I am 99% sure of, is that no matter what the devs do (or don't do) there are going to be some unhappy players. Seems every thread these days is contentious and filled with acrimony. Getting a bit tiresome.

Last edited:

Lady CaT

Sage
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So the arguments don't really seem to be about the new player being disgruntled and not on a level playing field at all.
Its more about VETERAN players wanting to be able to jump shards or somehow make their specific game play easier.

I'm just trying to pinpoint the real issue or player desire and everyone's information has been helpful.

To Frodo,
I would say this. I think veteran players actual attendence in game over the years went a long way to keeping this game around for so long. While one did not have to log in to get them, the fact is many people did stay active in UO to achieve those rewards and they DO mean something. To suddenly just make them available for cash instantly takes away that feeling of loyalty or longevity to UO. They are no longer veteran rewards, they are now simply an item available in the UO store. Might as well sell all past rare EM event items too because people desire those too and it would raise some cash. But somehow I don't think that would help UO's longevity.

I thank everyone for listening to my ramblings :)

ttfn

Irulia Darkaith

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So the arguments don't really seem to be about the new player being disgruntled and not on a level playing field at all.
Its more about VETERAN players wanting to be able to jump shards or somehow make their specific game play easier.
NO.

Not speaking for everyone, but no, that definitely does not apply to me. I like the recognition of my loyalty and longevity. A 9th year banner doesn't make my gameplay easier, it helps distinguish my home. A boura doesn't get me from Point A to Point B any faster than a 500gp horse I can buy, but it is a nice status symbol.

For awhile now, though probably few are aware of it (because it's on the housing forum), banners have been quietly being placed in front of homes that were built more than 10 years ago by players who have bothered to get the status. I guess this is favoritism again, and that will be the next thing players will be demanding they put up for sale - hey, I should be able to age my house 5 years for money so I can have a banner. And no, I don't have a banner, even though I've had houses from day 1, none of them have survived all the changes and resizing I've done over the years. But yes, I think this month I finally am old enough to get a banner for one of my homes, which will be nice, cause not many others have one.

BigEv

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

I'm just trying to pinpoint the real issue or player desire and everyone's information has been helpful.

To Frodo,
I would say this. I think veteran players actual attendence in game over the years went a long way to keeping this game around for so long. While one did not have to log in to get them, the fact is many people did stay active in UO to achieve those rewards and they DO mean something. To suddenly just make them available for cash instantly takes away that feeling of loyalty or longevity to UO. They are no longer veteran rewards, they are now simply an item available in the UO store. Might as well sell all past rare EM event items too because people desire those too and it would raise some cash. But somehow I don't think that would help UO's longevity.

I thank everyone for listening to my ramblings :)

ttfn
Real issue is that there are new players disgruntled over having to wait for X number of years to get something, i have talked to some and im sure others know some as well. Even players that have played for a few years as if your say 2-5 years your still looking at a VERY long time to get some nice items tht you might like to use. It should not be like that and its very frustrating to know that you will not be able to own or use said items for X number of years. Yes id love to be able to have shard shields but that is my thing (which i would pay to get now) whos to say the next persons isnt different. I only need to wait a few years for that but also whos to say the next person might need to wait a decade?! Thats just ridiculous. I really dont think if these items become available in form of purchasing account age that it will dimiss the longevity of UO at all and in the end will only help it go longer with the revenue. Also i wouldnt expect you would be seeing these items everywhere since as most have stated it would be pricey to upgrade but even with a few handfuls of people upgrading and paying that kind of money it can go a long way for UO. Also just think of the people that only need a year or 2 more to aquire what they want but dont want to wait, theres another $100 or 2 for UO. As for your point on rare event items, i think that is mute i mean it would add revenue but these are items that can be bought from other players (some harder to pry out of hands than others ;) ) BUT you dont have to wait til your account is such and such old to use them which is the issue here. Again ill say this, for the simple fact it can avoid new or semi new players from getting scammed (buying accounts/transfer scam etc), add revenue!!!!!!, add enjoyment+++ (enjoyment is in the eye of the beholder/ whos to say a garden shed would not increase someones enjoyment or a boura?) is really all that needs to be said. ITS A GAME AND SHOULD BE FUN! It should not be a game where you are restricted to having to wait X number of years to have a bit more fun or enjoyment so others can feel entitled. Implement this please and give those vets a title! ;)

Last edited:

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
How to gain (not claim) Veteren Rewards.
http://www.uoguide.com/Veteran_Reward
http://uo2.stratics.com/miscellaneous/veterans-rewards
https://help.ea.com/article/ultima-online-veteran-rewards

Why is that Vets think that allowing this in any way devalues thier worth in UO. I personally not get it. My Vet Rewards do not define my worth in UO, my game play does that. I have played and enjoyed UO for 15 yrs and if it was just the Vet Rewards I was after then I would never have lasted this long. It is NOT the Vet Rewards that defines the UO Vet, it is the way they conduct themselves in game. Vet Rewards were given to us as a thank you for sticking with us for so long (IE paying your subs $$$) we did nothing in game to earn these. We do not have to do anything in game to claim these other than log-in and claim them, we don't even have to stay logged-in after claiming them. So a person that has paid 15 yrs (without playing UO, I could never do that) is just as much a Vet as any 15 yr Vet just because they were loyal to UO all these yrs. I have played with players that have been here a lot less time than me and consider them as much a Vet as I am. Age has nothing to do with being a Vet, I has everything to do with how you conduct yourself. I am sorry there are people out there that measure thier worth to UO in terms of Vet Rewards. So I guess that a 5 yr Vet is less than a 10 yr Vet and both are less than a 15 yr Vet. Sure glad I am at the top of the food chain, I must be a Mythical Vet. Can't wait to get to Legendary Vet. How about we just ask UO to give us these Titles so we can proudly display them
  • A Wondrous Vet 5 Years of Dedication
  • An Exalted Vet 10 Years of Dedication
  • A Mythical Vet 15 Years of Dedication
  • A Legendary Vet 20 Years of Dedication
:(

Definition of devalue (vti)

bing.com · Bing Dictionary
de·val·ue
[ dee vállyoo ]
  1. lower currency's value: to lower the value of a nation's currency by government action, or become lowered in value
  2. make or become less valuable: to cause the value or importance of somebody or something to be reduced, or to become reduced in value or importance
Synonyms: diminish, lessen, undervalue, bring down, cheapen, revalue, devaluate, degrade, debase, reduce

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The biggest issue i see is most vets have yes paid for 13/14/15 years like me soon....and yes thay paid #10 per month.. so yes peeps would have to pay #120 to advance a year........The issue is...most vets will have wasted a few picks along them years....so come 14 year shard shield time they may onky have 4-6 picks left...which means onky 4-6 shards to choose.....If someone advanced a new account they would accumulate a lot of picks they had not wasted down the years ...saying that if someone wants to waste $10 x12 months x 5 years ..........''to advance 5 yearS'' and get 10 picks.... thats a lotta real cash...LOL

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The suggestion to pay the actual monthly subscription to be able to obtain vet rewards is crazy to say the least for a new player. I can't see a new player wanting to invest 120 bones ( 10 bones per month) to gain a year for an account with old graphics. It's cheaper for new players to buy a new game and dont pay a monthly subscription or pay a subscription which both that has a bigger population.

So instead of trying to bring in new blood some still feel to have it's not fair that a new player can achieve vet status at a more reasonable monies rate but have to pay the full price as a dedicate vet has. Not going to happen. This entitlement of fair because "I had to do it" just doesn't work.

If you all haven't noticed some of your biggest posters haven't posted for a long while now. A couple were your champions of cause when it came to UO and EA. I myself was a huge fan of one of them. Now their silence is one of two things. They just gave up posting or they gave up on the game totally. The UO community sure isn't growing and I truly feel some would rather keep it this way and let the decline continue.

I know for me I would rather let new players be on a more fair playing field no matter the sacrafice to see full shards again but any topic idea that may lead to it just gets buried in drama. May as well face the facts just live with what you have and enjoy what you have now.

Status
Not open for further replies.