• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

UO Tips! Things you may not know...

Schuyler Bain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'm not sure if moving the text into 'Spoiler' tabs did something odd, the last entry in the Newbie Tips section is "Powergaming a newbie on a new shard (by Harlequin)" - should that be a link to somewhere else, or is there missing text after that line?
There is a "sub-spoiler" in that section that expands to display Harlequin's full tip. It is rather long so I suspect that is why it was done this way.

Sarsmi - I think the nesting was very creative and a nice move that makes it a lot easier to read through. :thumbsup:

Nine Dark Moons

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This thread is awesome - i am learning so much (and i've been playing for 6 years)!!! I'm finding the stuff about starting a new char especially helpful, as I've been dabbling with creating new chars on some shards i've never played before, and i'm learning so many valuable tips regarding skill choice and newbie quests. thanks everyone!!!l :)

Sarsmi

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Got it, and thread updated, and decided to nest the tips in the categories with spoiler tags to combat unwieldy lengthiness. :p
I'm not sure if moving the text into 'Spoiler' tabs did something odd, the last entry in the Newbie Tips section is "Powergaming a newbie on a new shard (by Harlequin)" - should that be a link to somewhere else, or is there missing text after that line?
I nested that inside another spoiler right after the text "Powergaming a newbie...", since it was kind of a long guide. ;)

Sarsmi

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There is a "sub-spoiler" in that section that expands to display Harlequin's full tip. It is rather long so I suspect that is why it was done this way.

Sarsmi - I think the nesting was very creative and a nice move that makes it a lot easier to read through. :thumbsup:
Oop just saw your reply. Thank you! I felt extra smart when I thought of doing it, too. :D

D

Dor of Sonoma

*wanders about in search of more coffee and accidentally bumps into this post*

Oops! :)

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh! Got a really good tip. Not sure if it was mentioned but this is my tip:

Stuck and not gaining skill points?
Make sure you have room to gain more skill! :D

I remember being stuck at 99.5 cartography, decoding several maps for a whole week and never gaining any skill. Finally I went into my skills to check what was up and realized I had maxed out my skills and nothing was set to go down. I had wasted so many level 5 maps and didn't have room to gain. One of those palm-in-face moments, lol.

Sarsmi

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh! Got a really good tip. Not sure if it was mentioned but this is my tip:

Stuck and not gaining skill points?
Make sure you have room to gain more skill! :D

I remember being stuck at 99.5 cartography, decoding several maps for a whole week and never gaining any skill. Finally I went into my skills to check what was up and realized I had maxed out my skills and nothing was set to go down. I had wasted so many level 5 maps and didn't have room to gain. One of those palm-in-face moments, lol.
I don't know if that is a tip so much as a "doh!" type thing that most of us have done, and pretty much everyone has to experience for themselves to learn from. :D

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
Now... What to do with this thread. I hate putting a sticky on an active thread. Nothing kills a thread faster.

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't know if that is a tip so much as a "doh!" type thing that most of us have done, and pretty much everyone has to experience for themselves to learn from. :D
Lol, I agree and disagree there. Agree because once you experience that you always check (I do at least, lol).
Disagree because would hate to have someone else run into that kind of problem. (I wasted so many t-maps that, at the time, cost me a lot of gold just to gain .5 cartography, lol)

Sarsmi

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Lol, I agree and disagree there. Agree because once you experience that you always check (I do at least, lol).
Disagree because would hate to have someone else run into that kind of problem. (I wasted so many t-maps that, at the time, cost me a lot of gold just to gain .5 cartography, lol)
But see, that's how you remember now to check! :D

I'll add it in to the newbie tips section though. :)

C

Connor_Graham

I didn't see where this had been mentioned yet, although I am still on my first cup of coffee so could have easily missed it.

Regarding the magic pitcher, any water source in Tokuno will act just like a wave tile for you to fill your pitcher from. I normally just step out my front door as I have ocean front property, and fill my pitcher directly from the ocean.

Sarsmi

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I didn't see where this had been mentioned yet, although I am still on my first cup of coffee so could have easily missed it.

Regarding the magic pitcher, any water source in Tokuno will act just like a wave tile for you to fill your pitcher from. I normally just step out my front door as I have ocean front property, and fill my pitcher directly from the ocean.
Added!

And just a general FYI, the character limit for a single post ins 40,000, which I am nearing (I tried to add Xel's chat info as a spoiler and that put me over by a few hundred), so I dunno if something can be done about this or what a good solution would be.

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Added!

And just a general FYI, the character limit for a single post ins 40,000, which I am nearing (I tried to add Xel's chat info as a spoiler and that put me over by a few hundred), so I dunno if something can be done about this or what a good solution would be.
Maybe you can edit the third post to continue with it? Optional - pm nvnter to remove the second post?

Move some tips to new posts in other forums (eg new player) and just link there?

Heavy editing/summarizing (too much work for too little benefit though).

Make a new thread, but this time, quickly reply to yourself 5 times to reserve the first 5 posts :D

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Ohhh, that reminds me, if you make a UOA macro to fill the pitcher, you don't even need to be near the water source (you can be a couple of screens away). Works for water trough add-ons too.

Another add-on that don't check distance is the loom. You can use it from across the room, so you can save space in your work area. (I used to have loom wars with other tailors at the tailor shop to see who can place that 5th thread on the loom and get the bolt of cloth wahahaha).

For efficiency of space, add ons like anvils/ovens that you do not need to dbl click or target to use, but simply need to be within 2 tiles of it, can be placed on floors above or below you to save on workspace area.

For efficiency, I cram everything into a 5x5 workspace area. Teleporter from the porch leads to the center of this room.

Since the range where you can open containers is 2 tiles, all my containers are 2 tiles away and within easy reach.

I have stacks of colour-coded/engraved crates covering the south and west walls. You can stack 6 crates on each tile, but only 4 metal chests. Though I still like crates as they can be easily dyed using the furny dyetub.

1-tile add-ons and trash barrel go to the south walls, 2-tile add-ons go to the east walls (The room is actually 6 x 5 tiles to accomodate the 2-tile add ons.)

Arcance circle fits nicely in this area too.

Sarsmi

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ok, I edited your newest tips a little bit to make them more general, turned the account security question into a link to give me some more space, and even added my own tip:

* Using a square goza mat raised up several times, you can place an anvil or small forge on the mat, then place it's counterpart underneath. This is true for any single tile add-on. Multi-tile add ons can be "broken" using goza mats, and can be usable in their smaller forms. See the Homes and Castles forum for unusual and useful ways to use goza mats.

I love me some goza mats!

Still undecided about what to do, I didn't want to break the first post up into multiple posts unless I had a bunch more tips. I went through the whole thing, and aside from fixing a few spelling errors and changing the account security Q to a link didn't really see anything that could be consolidated.

I could probably set up and host a page pretty easily, but I don't like doing things that take people offsite (Tip #1, don't click strange links!), though I've done it before with my roof FAQ and uo radar image creator. Uh, and the siege house contest a few years back, and the rares museum showcase.... Yeesh, I should just make my own UO page already. :p

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Or, Sarsmi, you could join the ranks of us rewriting the UO Stratics pages.... heh, heh, heh.....

Or, any of the rest of you that have contributed to this, for that matter.

Vampire queen Petra demands new blood....

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
vampire queen? oh heck, I never saw myself quite that way!

Sarsmi, it's your thread, if you prefer it not sticky, just tell me and I'll unstick it.

DevilsOwn

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
maybe leave it here a while longer, or forever :) but also, Stratics admins could think about maybe making a whole new section on the Ultima Online main page...... the column on the right hand side is a bit longer than the column on the left, after all, and this could easily be it's own category....... a tips and tricks section broken down to separate pages for each of Sarsmi's sections

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, the 'stratics admin' with responsibility for that is the ME, and the current ME is me.
I'm still getting my head around the job, but I'm hoping to get the site sorted, with as much help as I can get from both staff and posters.
We've made a start with the new 'quests' page set, more is on the way.
Bearing in mind that I refuse to spend so much time working on it that I leave myself no time to play the game! :D

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
* Using a square goza mat raised up several times, you can place an anvil or small forge on the mat, then place it's counterpart underneath. This is true for any single tile add-on. Multi-tile add ons can be "broken" using goza mats, and can be usable in their smaller forms. See the Homes and Castles forum for unusual and useful ways to use goza mats.

I love me some goza mats!
Hey, I never thought of doing that! I just use the gozas to make 1/2 stairs. *thinking of how to mix and match the add-ons and trash barrel*

Sarsmi

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
vampire queen? oh heck, I never saw myself quite that way!

Sarsmi, it's your thread, if you prefer it not sticky, just tell me and I'll unstick it.
Oh I don't care. Put it wherever it works. ;)

I volunteered for stratics before, I don't know that I would do that again. I did my time in the galley! :p Tho I might email you guys some stuff. I wanted to do a list of outdated pages with suggestions, before (keep the pages but append a tag to them like [Legacy], or move them to their own Legacy Information section). Something like that.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
have a look at the bottom of the right menu of the current page :)

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Things are moving here at UO.Stratics. I'm not actively asking for submissions from posters yet because I have a fairly hefty backlog of stuff the staff have been working on that never got made live. Having said that, I'm not going to refuse or ignore any submissions that come in from posters either.

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Copied from another thread regarding mining hehe:

1) Verite and valortie spots change very quickly, however, agapite spots remain for much much longer. Use a garg pickaxe in conjunction with a prospector's tool to bump it up to valorite

2) Besides getting the gargoyle pickaxes via BOD rewards, they can be farmed off gargoyles. I camp hyloth for daemons and gargoyles to gain fame/karma/arties/gargoyle pickaxes/normal gems/gold. I admit that there are better ways to farm fame/karma/gold, but none will give me gargoyle pickaxes and arties at the same time. Because I am also switching between daemons and gargoyles, I also seem to get arties faster. So I'm killing multiple birds with 1 stone and saving time :D

3) As Connor says, a mage weapon elemental slayer bow works great. Use a couple of +magery jewels to offset the -magery

4) Like how dex determines a mobs' speed, their int seems to determine their pathfinding ability. Ore elementals aren't very bright and are slow, +1 for using a bow

5) Valorite elementals reflect all melee/bow damage that you do, a miner with low dex and tactics in this case works well because you actually get a chance to heal yourself +2 for using a bow

6) They have problems getting past the steps of player houses, and gets stuck like the animals/npcs that loves to block your recall spot. So just plink away with your mw bow, +3 for using a bow. This is another instance where you can turn something annoying into something you can use beneficially

7) The types of coloured ingots I use most are dull (for filling bods), shadow (for swampy armour), bronze (for tinkering golems), gold (for enhancing luck) and valorite (for enhancing resists). So this is how I upgrade my ore -

Iron gets upgraded to dull via prospector's tool
Dull gets upgraded to shadow via prospector's tool
Shadow I leave alone
Copper gets upgraded to bronze via prospector's tool
Bronze gets upgraded to gold via prospector's tool
Gold I leave alone
Agapite gets upgraded to valorite via prospector's tool and gargoyle pickaxe
Verite gets upgraded to valorite via gargoyle pickaxe
Valorite I leave alone

I save my gargoyle pickaxes to spawn valorite elementals and farm them for an easy 25 valorite ore. I always pick up prospertor's tools that people throw away at the smithy :D

8) 1 fire beetle plus 2 packies work wonderfully. I have a UO macro to use last item on last target for mining and lumberjacking. And I have a UOA macro to smelt large ore on my beetle. Once my weight turns red (from the UOA indicator) I will hit the UOA smelt macro. This way my last target doesn't get messed up and force me to retarget the mining spot again. Just note that if you are overweight, the ingots that you smelt drops to the ground

9) Sometimes, if you hit the smelt macro at the wrong time or due to lag, the smelting cursor targets your last target (meaning your last mining spot). When this happens, the ore isn't smelted. If you dbl it again, it will say "Someone is already using that". In this situation, it takes about a minute for the server to timeout your pending smelting attempt. To bypass this, dbl click any smaller ore of the same type and click on the large ore. This will combine the ore and make them all smaller pieces, and you can smelt them now.

10) The smaller pieces of ore are actually very useful. They are the lightest, and changing the big ores into small ones makes them lighter overall. Useful if you don't have a firebeetle and are using 5 packies to hold the ore until you reach a public forge.

11) To gain mining quicker, smelt the hardest ores that your skill allows you to, 1 piece at a time. If you are working on gaining mining, remove your mining gloves and Jacob's pickaxe (Haven newbie quest that gives +10 mining, though it doesn't allow you to go above 100 mining unlike the gloves).

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Harlequin, you can get to 105, using jacob's pickaxe with gloves, by equipping the pickaxe first THEN equipping the gloves. It's so,ething about the way the points stack.

And, there is a group of useful essays on UO Craftsman, including one on the animals and their capacities, ore weight, etc. A pack animal will hold 133 large ore +1 small (266.5 ingots), or 800 small (the equivalent of 200 large/400 ingots).

NEVER let the medium ores exist in your pack or on pack animals, as they weigh 16.67% more than their equivalent amount of large ore (and 75% more than their equivalent amount of small ore). by comparison, medium ore would only fit 228 medium and 2 small into a pack animal (the equivalent of 229 ingots), much less than either of the other two options. So, merge them with small piles whenever possible.

Sarsmi

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Basara and Harlequin, I added the new ones in and created a new thread of tips to swap out for this one. Harley, I could not include:

"6) They have problems getting past the steps of player houses, and gets stuck like the animals/npcs that loves to block your recall spot. So just plink away with your mw bow, +3 for using a bow. This is another instance where you can turn something annoying into something you can use beneficially"

since I believe it's in that gray area of monster blocking, IE where you can't attack non magic casting monster from boats or other unreachable areas. I don't think it's a big deal but I wouldn't want anyone to get in trouble using a tip they read here. Hrm actually I guess I could edit it a little and stick it in...

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Basara and Harlequin, I added the new ones in and created a new thread of tips to swap out for this one. Harley, I could not include:

"6) They have problems getting past the steps of player houses, and gets stuck like the animals/npcs that loves to block your recall spot. So just plink away with your mw bow, +3 for using a bow. This is another instance where you can turn something annoying into something you can use beneficially"

since I believe it's in that gray area of monster blocking, IE where you can't attack non magic casting monster from boats or other unreachable areas. I don't think it's a big deal but I wouldn't want anyone to get in trouble using a tip they read here. Hrm actually I guess I could edit it a little and stick it in...
Whoops, didn't occur to me to add a warning for using it on non casting mobs. Val elementals reflects damage, and have a ranged area attack, so they're valid targets :D

Regarding Basara's tip on using Jacob's pickaxe on getting mining above 100, what he means is that if you have between 90 to 99.9 mining, you can equip Jacob's pickaxe first, to get mining to 100, then equip the gloves to get 105.

Conversely, if you have 90 mining, and equip the gloves first to get 95 mining, equipping the pickaxe now will only give you 100 mining :)

I didn't explain it very well earlier, what I meant was that the +10 from the pickaxe will not boost your mining skills beyond 100 if you already, but Basara has explained it much better! :)

T

Tazar

Since Sarsmi has redone the list (great editing btw) I have unstuck this thread and pasted the "2nd edition" in it's place.

Please post additional replies in the new thread which can be found here.